Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3468Likes

post #1741 of 2678 Old 01-24-2018, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
The Integral would be beneficial to the newer JVCs if you planned on pairing it with a UHD blu-ray player (such as a Panasonic UB900) to output a SDR bt2020 image. The Linker will do the same, but also add the ability to use the JVCs' auto iris with HDR content. The latter would be for the RS400 thru RS620 models (the latest models allow the auto iris with HDR ootb).
Thanks for the feedback! I think I need to step back and research the design and benefits of a dynamic iris in order to then better understand the capabilities of the Integral vs the other device you mentioned ("Linker"). With all of that, I can then determine if it's worth the investment to have 'UHD dynamic iris' capabilities for our family's application: ~70% gaming on XB1X & PS4 Pro (with 4K HDR); ~15% 1080p TV content; ~10% Blu-ray movies; ~5% UHD movies (via XB1X).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 2678 Old 01-26-2018, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ive been reading this thread on page 108 now on mobile.

Pros:
Once you go black...
HD SDR is nice
4K Nice
HDR sometimes nice and sometimes not nice

Cons:
3D framrate
Transmitter
HDR multi config
CMD fixed via patch

The first 70 pages was a lot of frustration with CMD. Then 70-100 it became a lot of frustration with HDR settings and sources.

The proj is 1 yr old.
How has your experience now 1 y later?

What compromises have you learned to live with?

Would you do it all over again?

Knowing this is there a better projector than RS420 for under $3000 today?

Thank you all for your incites into this model!
post #1743 of 2678 Old 01-26-2018, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The only thing I would change is the time it takes to sync to a new refresh rate which is a bit long when going from say 1080p menu to 4K movie.

I've had a RS-1 for 10+ years and I was happy till I saw the image produced by the X-570.

Hope to be happy for another 10+ years or till native 4K with 1sec sync times comes around for < 5K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 2678 Old 01-26-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeigh07 View Post

Pros:
Once you go black...
HD SDR is nice
4K Nice

Cons:
3D framrate
Transmitter
HDR multi config
CMD fixed via patch

The first 70 pages was a lot of frustration with CMD. Then 70-100 it became a lot of frustration with HDR settings and sources.

The proj is 1 yr old.

I know if I had to do it all over again, I would purchase the RS420 again. What perhaps I should have waited a few months until the units shipped from JVC had the patch in it. Because now I believe I have to pay shipping to JVC even though they pay shipping back to me.

When a company is trying to hide something, they talk Dynamic contrast... And they float numbers as high as a million to one contrast ratio. Projectors like this always look good on bright scenes.

But the more important value is native contrast. The native contrast really shows off an image for dark scenes. The rs420 has a very high native contrast compared to non JVC units. Black scenes of space with stars in the background actually look black.

-T
post #1745 of 2678 Old 01-26-2018, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Pros:
Once you go black...
HD SDR is nice
4K Nice

Cons:
3D framrate
Transmitter
HDR multi config
CMD fixed via patch

The proj is 1 yr old.

Not in this budget imo unless your room is fairly bright or you have ambient light. Is that the case? - if; look for something more bright imo.
Whats your usecase?

With the risk of beeing killed by jvc or sony warriors i would say the basic picture in the grander scheme is fairly similar between all jvc and sony pj. Old as well as new. The new jvc have eshift, hdr and isnt so darn dimm they used to be and the Sony pj even musters reasonably dark.
The point is. Get a cheap hw45/65 and you get 80% of the way and a huge step up from low end. From there on it get expensive and bigger. 420 get you much better contrast 4k like sharpness, hdr, better motion handling what not. I cant understand cmd issue and have in pratice only seen one motion issue for a single sec in 60 hrs. Perhaps my pj is later version or i dont understand it Imo motion handling is super fine and i am kind of critical here but also cant stand 30fps.

And from 420 up you fork out for nearly single matters and while contrast and blackness is clearly easily visible better you have to really appriciate it. Depends on room ofcource but is imo mostly a personal matter or budget.

Its a big pj to have in a living room. I think next time i will get the better model whatever the "few" benefits it gives now i have to live with this huge box anyway. A 120 inch tv isnt the most discrete either so the pj box is here to stay.

Last edited by krumme; 01-26-2018 at 01:49 PM.
post #1746 of 2678 Old 01-27-2018, 02:11 PM

Successfully received and installed my RS420!

First impression...man, there are many more knobs to turn in the menu than on my BenQ W1070.
Second impression...damn, this picture quality is stunning right out of the box!

Actually, the second impression didn't come until after I replaced my HDMI capable so that 4K HDR signals could be transferred. For anyone finding themselves concerned over HDMI choices and compatibility (like I was)...for my 30ft run, my existing 4yr old HDMI capable couldn't transfer 4K HDR (no surprise), nor could the Monoprice Luxe series CL3 cable that I ordered. Both failed the compatibility check on the XB1X and PS4 Pro. Fortunately, I had also ordered an RUIPRO Fiber cable just in case and it worked like a champ.

So far we've successfully played 4K HDR content on the PS4 Pro (Horizon Zero Dawn), XB1X (Forza 7), Netflix (Black Mirror via XB1X app), and UHD disc (Planet Earth 2 on XB1X). All of these sources provide an amazing image on the RS420 that even the wife noticed. That latter aspect is the best praise the RS420 could possibly receive. Also notable, we haven't encountered any compatibility issues (odd colors in HDR mode, etc. like a few others have noted in this thread). FWIW...I'm running the source signals through an Onkyo TX-NR777 receiver and then to the RS420 with the RUIPRO cable.

I've also confirmed that the ghosting issues that were previously present in low latency mode following the 'CMD fix' have been successfully remedied in the stock sold by @Mike Garret and crew from AVS. This was a huge factor in my purchasing choice, along with reading so much praise about their customer service, which I can confirm is top-notch.

If you've read this far...thanks!...and I have a question for existing owners. We watch a handful of 3D movies every year, so it would be nice to have this capability, but I can't justify it based on the prices of JVC glasses. I've seen on this thread that "Xpander" products are compatible, but I haven't been able to find the specific model number for the RF Emitter and the RF Glasses. Can someone confirm that they do work as well as the OEM JVC products, and if so, provide specific model numbers that you've used successfully? The Xpander website compatabiity doesn't appear to list JVC. Any other options besides Xpander?

This a long-winded post, but hopefully it helps others that are considering the RS420 and are struggling with questions about picture quality, handshaking issues, ghosting, etc. So far, I couldn't provide a higher recommendation for this projector.
skullnrose and Mike Garrett like this.

Last edited by Doc_Ox; 01-27-2018 at 06:23 PM.
post #1747 of 2678 Old 01-27-2018, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Ox View Post
Successfully received and installed my RS420!

First impression...man, there are many more knobs to turn in the menu than on my BenQ W1070.
Second impression...damn, this picture quality is stunning right out of the box!

Actually, the second impression didn't come until after I replaced my HDMI capable so that 4K HDR signals could be transferred. For anyone finding themselves concerned over HDMI choices and compatibility (like I was)...for my 30ft run, my existing 4yr old HDMI capable couldn't transfer 4K HDR (no surprise), nor could the Monoprice Luxe series CL3 cable that I ordered. Both failed the compatibility check on the XB1X and PS4 Pro. Fortunately, I had also ordered an RUIPRO Fiber cable just in case and it worked like a champ.

So far we've successfully played 4K HDR content on the PS4 Pro (Horizon Zero Dawn), XB1X (Forza 7), Netflix (Black Mirror via XB1X app), and UHD disc (Planet Earth 2 on XB1X). All of these sources provide an amazing image on the RS420 that even the wife noticed. That latter aspect is the best praise the RS420 could possibly receive. Also notable, we haven't encountered any compatibility issues (odd colors in HDR mode, etc. like a few others have noted in this thread). FWIW...I'm running the source signals through an Onkyo TX-NR777 receiver and then to the RS420 with the RUIPRO cable.

I've also confirmed that the ghosting issues that were previously present in low latency mode following the 'CMD fix' have been successfully remedied in the stock sold by @Mike G arret and crew from AVS. This was a huge factor in my purchasing choice, along with reading so much praise about their customer service, which I can confirm is top-notch.

If you've this far...thanks!...and I have a question for existing owners. We watch a handful of 3D movies every year, so it would be nice to have this capability, but I can't justify it based on the prices of JVC glasses. I've seen on this thread that "Xpander" products are compatible, but I haven't been able to find the specific model number for the RF Emitter and the RF Glasses. Can someone confirm that they do work as well as the OEM JVC products, and if so, provide specific model numbers that you've used successfully? The Xpander website compatabiity doesn't appear to list JVC. Any other options besides Xpander?

This a long-winded post, but hopefully it helps others that are considering the RS420 and are struggling with questions about picture quality, handshaking issues, ghosting, etc. So far, I couldn't provide a higher recommendation for this projector.
When you set it up, and you monkey around with the settings, I got good results by setting my aperture to the manual mode, cranking it all the way down to negative 15, and then putting it back into the auto 2 mode. The project is pretty bright even for a 135 inch screen.

-T
coderguy and Doc_Ox like this.
post #1748 of 2678 Old 01-28-2018, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 242
hi guys , i know this is a 420 thread, i m just posting to try to help people decide that are coming from low end sub $2000 projectors like myself, i ended up buying the rs440, which is almost identical to the 420 with the exception of some quality of life settings. it was like a wake up call for me once i saw the picture, i used to have Benq w1070 , sony hw40es and lately i bought optoma UHD60, ill attach 2 pics for u to see the drastic difference between the optoma and JVC, i dont think there is anything u can buy at this price range or even a little higher that is better and this is my first jvc ever.
its phone pics but the difference in real viewing is as big or even bigger, the only thing against jvc is that u need a really light controlled room to appreciate it as u can see in the pic on the lower right of the screen where i didnt close my drapes fully, u can see a small patch of white wall and that alone washed out the black level a little on the right side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_003907.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	2352240   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_003619.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	2352242  
KBMAN, kyzer soze and gamermwm like this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #1749 of 2678 Old 01-29-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
When you set it up, and you monkey around with the settings, I got good results by setting my aperture to the manual mode, cranking it all the way down to negative 15, and then putting it back into the auto 2 mode. The project is pretty bright even for a 135 inch screen.

-T
Thanks for the recommendation. At first I thought setting it to "auto mode" after dialing in a value in "manual mode" would be ineffective since it seems an automatic mode would simply override a manual setting. But then I found in the RS420 manual (pg. 41) where it states that the manual adjustment setting is actually used in the auto mode algorithm.

If you have any other basic setting recommendations like this please share.
post #1750 of 2678 Old 01-30-2018, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Interesting. If i dont want the auto2 to dim so much is it then possible to change that? And still keep max brightness.
post #1751 of 2678 Old 01-30-2018, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
If you've read this far...thanks!...and I have a question for existing owners. We watch a handful of 3D movies every year, so it would be nice to have this capability, but I can't justify it based on the prices of JVC glasses. I've seen on this thread that "Xpander" products are compatible, but I haven't been able to find the specific model number for the RF Emitter and the RF Glasses. Can someone confirm that they do work as well as the OEM JVC products, and if so, provide specific model numbers that you've used successfully? The Xpander website compatabiity doesn't appear to list JVC. Any other options besides Xpander?
I'm about 1 month into my RS420 experience, and just started getting my 3D library started.

I have bought both the Xpand 3D Glasses (X105-RF-X1 - $40 ea) and Value-View 3D Glasses off Amazon (ASIN B01C371Z8I - $35 ea) and successfully watched 2 different 3D titles. The Xpand glasses are the same manufacturer as the JVC branded glasses but vertically polarized (JVC branded Xpands are horizontally polarized). The Value-View glasses wear more like a standard sunglass, and had no discernable difference in viewing experience compared to the Xpand, so I returned the Xpand and bought 4-pack of the Value-View since they are more comfortable.

Note that both do not have the ideal JVC synchronization (horizontal vs vertical), so you have to pump up the cross-talk settings to have a decent brightness.

My screen rates low on the polarization retention, but I'm still not thrilled with the brightness using the vertically polarized glasses. Currently I am on the hunt for JVC branded glasses on the used market. I cannot justify spending $140+ each. I can take the comfort penalty for being able to watch the movie at proper brightness.

FWIW I am using the JVC PKEM2G RF Emitter. I found one in Ebay new for <$80. Initial syncing took a few tries, but all the glasses paired eventually.
post #1752 of 2678 Old 01-30-2018, 09:45 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience(s) so far with the RS-420. I am about 90% that is what I want. I have some HDR questions for people here:

Attention: JVC RS400 and above owners with Oppo 203 and HDR experience

Projectors are HDR capable in terms of software but not so in terms of lumens. I have read that HDR sometimes looks very bad on projectors. I understand this depends on the display, calibrated or not, BD player, and HDR movie mastering techniques. It seems to me that HDR on projectors is not as understood and thus more often than not yields an image that "looks good" with no real confidence that it is what the director/production entity intended for.

Has anyone made HDR BD play better than 1080p BD? ( That is the intention right? )

Is there actually information on HDR the projectors can actually take advantage of?

Are most projector users that own Oppo 203 and projector just turning UHD HDR to UHD rec 709 via SDR conversion on the Oppo 203?

Does the OPPO 203 have Dynamic Range Adjustment to help with HDR fidelity under projector lumens constraints?
post #1753 of 2678 Old 01-30-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshMPH View Post
Quote:
I'm about 1 month into my RS420 experience, and just started getting my 3D library started.

I have bought both the Xpand 3D Glasses (X105-RF-X1 - $40 ea) and Value-View 3D Glasses off Amazon (ASIN B01C371Z8I - $35 ea) and successfully watched 2 different 3D titles. The Xpand glasses are the same manufacturer as the JVC branded glasses but vertically polarized (JVC branded Xpands are horizontally polarized). The Value-View glasses wear more like a standard sunglass, and had no discernable difference in viewing experience compared to the Xpand, so I returned the Xpand and bought 4-pack of the Value-View since they are more comfortable.

Note that both do not have the ideal JVC synchronization (horizontal vs vertical), so you have to pump up the cross-talk settings to have a decent brightness.

My screen rates low on the polarization retention, but I'm still not thrilled with the brightness using the vertically polarized glasses. Currently I am on the hunt for JVC branded glasses on the used market. I cannot justify spending $140+ each. I can take the comfort penalty for being able to watch the movie at proper brightness.

FWIW I am using the JVC PKEM2G RF Emitter. I found one in Ebay new for <$80. Initial syncing took a few tries, but all the glasses paired eventually.
Thanks for the write-up. I considered buying the same xpand glasses... But I am on the fence with 3D. I might put the money elsewhere.

-T
post #1754 of 2678 Old 01-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:

I asked XPAND about Horizontally polarized glasses. They responded within an hour.

[email protected]

Quote:
Hello,

Yes, we have X105-RF-X3 which is polarized horizontally and optimized for JVC projectors. The price is $100 per unit, if you order more than 4 units we can give a discount.

XPAND Tech Support

I am also looking now for 3D hardware, for when I buy a new projector in march.
post #1755 of 2678 Old 01-30-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I asked XPAND about Horizontally polarized glasses. They responded within an hour.

[email protected]

I am also looking now for 3D hardware, for when I buy a new projector in march.

Interesting.

I wonder if there is enough interest on AVSForum for a "group buy" to get the glasses down into the $40-$50 range. I wouldn't mind paying that for optimal viewing experience.
post #1756 of 2678 Old 01-30-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

I wonder if there is enough interest on AVSForum for a "group buy" to get the glasses down into the $40-$50 range. I wouldn't mind paying that for optimal viewing experience.
Count me in. I would be in on any price lower than lower than $60 USD.

There is an online store in EU that is selling 4 for 210 British Dollars ( roughly 70 USD per unit ). USA is not one of their default shipping choices but an email or phone call and an a substantial order can likely influence.

Prob better to cut out the middle man though.
If they can do $70 USD for 4 maybe $40-$50 is a possibility with a large purchase.
post #1757 of 2678 Old 01-30-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12502 Post(s)
Liked: 10130
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Count me in. I would be in on any price lower than lower than $60 USD.

There is an online store in EU that is selling 4 for 210 British Dollars ( roughly 70 USD per unit ). USA is not one of their default shipping choices but an email or phone call and an a substantial order can likely influence.

Prob better to cut out the middle man though.
If they can do $70 USD for 4 maybe $40-$50 is a possibility with a large purchase.
I doubt it. There is very little markup on glasses.
post #1758 of 2678 Old 01-30-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
I know if I had to do it all over again, I would purchase the RS420 again. What perhaps I should have waited a few months until the units shipped from JVC had the patch in it. Because now I believe I have to pay shipping to JVC even though they pay shipping back to me.T

Is shipping back to JVC the only way to receive the patch?
post #1759 of 2678 Old 01-30-2018, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post
Quote:
I know if I had to do it all over again, I would purchase the RS420 again. What perhaps I should have waited a few months until the units shipped from JVC had the patch in it. Because now I believe I have to pay shipping to JVC even though they pay shipping back to me.T

As far as I know, yes.

-T
post #1760 of 2678 Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Yes.
post #1761 of 2678 Old 01-31-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I doubt it. There is very little markup on glasses.
Mike - First, thanks for taking the time to chat on the phone back in December and hooking it up on the RS420 - we're loving the viewing experience. I'm glad we chose the JVC over the Epson based on yoru recommendation.

As a forum sponsor, maybe you can try to organize this buy through Xpand? I'm sure you know that it is the ongoing saga on AVSForum to try and find a reasonable glasses solution to JVC's 3D polarization methods. Someone as engaged as you are in the community could likely theorize how many users could participate, and work out an exclusivity agreement with Xpand to resell the glasses to the AVSforum community.

My logic is that if Xpand retails the vertically polarized glasses for $39.99 (X105-RF-X1), a $50 cost target for horizontally polarized glasses seems reasonable. They already make the lense hardware, as the JVC branded units are made by Xpand, and Xpand has already acknowledged they would sell non-JVC branded horizontally polarized glasses with price breaks based on volume.

I would commit to 4.
post #1762 of 2678 Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Interesting.

This 'group buy' to reduce the price is a great idea if the logistics could be worked out to allow it to happen.
post #1763 of 2678 Old 01-31-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks for summarizing your experiences with 3D glasses and the RS420. When I read your response up to this point I assumed that you had found a viable alternative ("Value View") to OEM JVC glasses at a reasonable price point.

Quote:

But then I saw that you're evidently on the hunt for a better solution than what the Value-View glasses provide. So am I safe to assume that you definitely would not recommend the Value-View glasses, despite their much more attractive price, based on the loss in brightness? FWIW...I'm using a white screen from Elite Screens (ER100WH1), so I'm not sure of the brightness reduction I would experience.
post #1764 of 2678 Old 01-31-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Argh, safe to say if it was bought 8 months ago it will need the patch?
post #1765 of 2678 Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Argh, safe to say if it was bought 8 months ago it will need the patch?
If you use CMD and if the vertical banding bothers you, then yes. If you do not use CMD, then it will make no difference in your viewing.
post #1766 of 2678 Old 02-01-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Mike -
As a forum sponsor, maybe you can try to organize this buy through Xpand? I'm sure you know that it is the ongoing saga on AVSForum to try and find a reasonable glasses solution to JVC's 3D polarization methods. Someone as engaged as you are in the community could likely theorize how many users could participate, and work out an exclusivity agreement with Xpand to resell the glasses to the AVSforum community.

My logic is that if Xpand retails the vertically polarized glasses for $39.99 (X105-RF-X1), a $50 cost target for horizontally polarized glasses seems reasonable. They already make the lense hardware, as the JVC branded units are made by Xpand, and Xpand has already acknowledged they would sell non-JVC branded horizontally polarized glasses with price breaks based on volume.

I would commit to 4.
Quote:
This 'group buy' to reduce the price is a great idea if the logistics could be worked out to allow it to happen.
I got another message from them when I relayed that I would share their email with AVS Forum.

Quote:
From: Technical Support <[email protected]> via kolosej.si
to: "Jeigh07"
cc: David Chechelashvili <[email protected]>

Thanks, Jeigh07,

You can also write, if someone interested in buying to email to David Chechelashvili directly (he is on cc)
Best Regards,
XPAND Tech Support
Looks like this is the person to contact for a large order when collective interest is larger.
post #1767 of 2678 Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks for summarizing your experiences with 3D glasses and the RS420. When I read your response up to this point I assumed that you had found a viable alternative ("Value View") to OEM JVC glasses at a reasonable price point.

But then I saw that you're evidently on the hunt for a better solution than what the Value-View glasses provide. So am I safe to assume that you definitely would not recommend the Value-View glasses, despite their much more attractive price, based on the loss in brightness? FWIW...I'm using a white screen from Elite Screens (ER100WH1), so I'm not sure of the brightness reduction I would experience.
Sorry for the vagueness of the post.

There is a noticeable drop in brightness (I estimate ~20%) when viewing 3D content using vertically polarized glasses. The two glasses I have tried are both in that camp, and both had the same affect. We kept the Value View glasses because they are more comfortable. Pumping up the cross-talk and brightness settings helps bring some of that back to the ~10% loss range. I do not anticipate any other branded vertically polarized glasses to perform differently, so I was not planning on shopping any more 3D glasses other than "proper" horizontally polarized units.

If Xpand can sell horizontally polarized glasses at a reasonable price target, I'll gladly take the comfort loss to gain back the brightness.

FWIW I have an Elite Screens "CineWhite" 1.1 gain that supposedly rates "low" on the polarization retention scale.
post #1768 of 2678 Old 02-01-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the vagueness of the post.

There is a noticeable drop in brightness (I estimate ~20%) when viewing 3D content using vertically polarized glasses. The two glasses I have tried are both in that camp, and both had the same affect. We kept the Value View glasses because they are more comfortable. Pumping up the cross-talk and brightness settings helps bring some of that back to the ~10% loss range. I do not anticipate any other branded vertically polarized glasses to perform differently, so I was not planning on shopping any more 3D glasses other than "proper" horizontally polarized units.

If Xpand can sell horizontally polarized glasses at a reasonable price target, I'll gladly take the comfort loss to gain back the brightness.

FWIW I have an Elite Screens "CineWhite" 1.1 gain that supposedly rates "low" on the polarization retention scale.
No need to apologize...your summary was very clear. I just wanted to gauge, as best as possible, your acceptance of the reduced brightness to get a feel for how much of an impact it has. If, for example, you now essentially avoid watching 3D content because the brightness reduction, that tells me that I should probably avoid vertically-polarized glasses regardless of price benefit. Since we only watch maybe 2-3 3D films a year, and since 3D may be a dying technology based on its recent omission on TVs, I already question the justification of $90 for an emitter and $140 for (4) pairs of Value-View glasses. But, since the wife asked why we had 3D on our previous projector (BenQ W1070), but don't have it on our new RS420, I thought it was worth investigating.

Regarding the need to increase the cross-talk and brightness with the Value-View glasses. Are these settings that can be saved on the RS420 and then recalled when we want to watch 3D movies. And conversely, you can easily revert back to 'normal' viewing settings afterward the movie is over? I've only had the RS420 for a week now, so I'm still learning its capabilities -- which are much more advanced than the W1070. If I have to manually dial-in settings for 3D movies, and then back again when finished, this could also be a deal-breaker for me with any vertically-polarized glasses that reduce the brightness. And that would bring me to finding Xpander horizontally-polarized glasses for much less than $100/pr -- which probably isn't viable based on the previous responses.

Thanks again for your feedback on this subject.
post #1769 of 2678 Old 02-02-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
No need to apologize...your summary was very clear. I just wanted to gauge, as best as possible, your acceptance of the reduced brightness to get a feel for how much of an impact it has. If, for example, you now essentially avoid watching 3D content because the brightness reduction, that tells me that I should probably avoid vertically-polarized glasses regardless of price benefit. Since we only watch maybe 2-3 3D films a year, and since 3D may be a dying technology based on its recent omission on TVs, I already question the justification of $90 for an emitter and $140 for (4) pairs of Value-View glasses. But, since the wife asked why we had 3D on our previous projector (BenQ W1070), but don't have it on our new RS420, I thought it was worth investigating.

Regarding the need to increase the cross-talk and brightness with the Value-View glasses. Are these settings that can be saved on the RS420 and then recalled when we want to watch 3D movies. And conversely, you can easily revert back to 'normal' viewing settings afterward the movie is over? I've only had the RS420 for a week now, so I'm still learning its capabilities -- which are much more advanced than the W1070. If I have to manually dial-in settings for 3D movies, and then back again when finished, this could also be a deal-breaker for me with any vertically-polarized glasses that reduce the brightness. And that would bring me to finding Xpander horizontally-polarized glasses for much less than $100/pr -- which probably isn't viable based on the previous responses.

Thanks again for your feedback on this subject.
We watched both Jurassic World 3D and Guardians/Galaxy Vol.1 3D.

Jurassic World had no impact to our viewing experience, my wife and I really enjoyed the experience in 3D. I only had to increase cross-talk to max setting at the very beginning, no other changes.

G/G-1 took me fumbling with the brightness for the first 10 minutes to get happy. Maybe because it is set "in space" where scenes are naturally darker, but the overall 3D experience was diminished because of the brightness loss.

We have Man of Steel 3D that we'll watch sometime over the next few weeks; I anticipate that 3D viewing experience to fall more in line with the Jurassic World experience.

FWIW - if most titles are like the Jurassic World 3D, even with the brightness loss it is a worthwhile investment.

For settings, the 3D settings automatically trigger when 3D content is shown (just like HDR settings automatically trigger when watching HDR content). The specific cross-talk and brightness settings for 3D remain the next time you watch 3D, and do not impact non-3D settings.

I'm still trying to figure out the user settings and how to assign them to the "user" buttons on the remote. For example, I have a custom "GAME" setting that I made for playing my XB1, which engages low-latency mode and changes some contrast/color settings. I have to go into the menu and change the profile to my custom "GAME" setting, and I would really like to link it to the USER-1 button on the remote. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and can chime in
post #1770 of 2678 Old 02-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I have a basic question, jut want to confirm that there is no way to turn off the picture mode switch to HDR when the unit detects an UHD signal? I use a custom mode (basically the same BT2020 color profile and ST2084 gamma, but with low lamp) but the projector always switches to HDR automatically. No big deal but wanted to confirm.

BTW watched Despicable Me3 UHD and it was breathtaking, can't see why I would need custom curves, etc. But that's just me, still learning to be a critical viewer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page