Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3505Likes

post #1771 of 2834 Old 02-03-2018, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Great picture but terrible watching experience

So finally the family gets down to watching a movie on the new unit. We watched IT in UHD, it was a rental disc. Everyone was blown away by the stunning picture but I noticed the blacks were not quite as black but still good (default HDR mode, low lamp). The big issue was that randomly, every once in a while the HDMI connection will re-sync, with the image blacking out for 6-10 seconds. At first it was once or twice then towards the end of the movie it got really annoying. Is this a bad disc? Or some other issue? I have noticed with one more UHD disc so far but need to see more movies to confirm. Needless to say, terrible watching experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 2834 Old 02-03-2018, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
So finally the family gets down to watching a movie on the new unit. We watched IT in UHD, it was a rental disc. Everyone was blown away by the stunning picture but I noticed the blacks were not quite as black but still good (default HDR mode, low lamp). The big issue was that randomly, every once in a while the HDMI connection will re-sync, with the image blacking out for 6-10 seconds. At first it was once or twice then towards the end of the movie it got really annoying. Is this a bad disc? Or some other issue? I have noticed with one more UHD disc so far but need to see more movies to confirm. Needless to say, terrible watching experience.
The Blacks looked great on my RS400 with UHD; dark but significant detail. However, I have had my projector professionally calibrated by Chadb. No dropouts on the copy I bought, so maybe the rental was defective, damaged, or dirty.

"It" is a really good movie.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #1773 of 2834 Old 02-03-2018, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 13437 Post(s)
Liked: 11084
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
What HDMI cable are you using? Also, what size and gain screen? I ask about the screen, since you are using low lamp for HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 2834 Old 02-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
What HDMI cable are you using? Also, what size and gain screen? I ask about the screen, since you are using low lamp for HDR.
I did not change out a cable I had with my RS46 - it is a Rocketfish 25' "High Speed with Ethernet" cable. I am assuming HDMI connection is a binary thing, either it works or it does not. Could the random dropouts be due to the cable?

Screen is 125" Carada BW scope screen, throw distance of 16'.
post #1775 of 2834 Old 02-04-2018, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Quote:
I did not change out a cable I had with my RS46 - it is a Rocketfish 25' "High Speed with Ethernet" cable. I am assuming HDMI connection is a binary thing, either it works or it does not. Could the random dropouts be due to the cable?

I Googled your cable. The hits I received was that it's a 10.2 gigabit-per-second cable. Is your cable 10.2 gps?

I've read many reports on avsforum about periodic screen blanking. It is almost always caused by a cable.

The bitrate coming across the cable is variable. Maybe there's something happening with the imagery such that the signal bitrate is surpassing the capabilities of the cable.

Dunno. Just throwing it out there.

-T
KBMAN likes this.
post #1776 of 2834 Old 02-04-2018, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I Googled your cable. The hits I received was that it's a 10.2 gigabit-per-second cable. Is your cable 10.2 gps?

I've read many reports on avsforum about periodic screen blanking. It is almost always caused by a cable.

The bitrate coming across the cable is variable. Maybe there's something happening with the imagery such that the signal bitrate is surpassing the capabilities of the cable.

-T
Thanks - the cable is the most logical suspect. It works most of the time since my distance is less than 25', I guess. Given that I can get a 20' cable, can I go with the Monoprice active or premium certified and not spend on a fiber cable?
post #1777 of 2834 Old 02-04-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Quote:

-T
Thanks - the cable is the most logical suspect. It works most of the time since my distance is less than 25', I guess. Given that I can get a 20' cable, can I go with the Monoprice active or premium certified and not spend on a fiber cable?
I am pretty sure you can. At 20 ft. I'm at 40 ft so I had to go fiber.

As long as you get a cable that's rated 18 gigabits per second, and other Forum members had good luck with that same 18 gps cable, then you are good to go.

Not every cable lives up to its specifications, unfortunately :-(

-T
post #1778 of 2834 Old 02-04-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Check this link. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hd...hdmi-2-0b.html The premium certified should work under 25ft per Monoprice specs.

post #1779 of 2834 Old 02-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
Check this link. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hd...hdmi-2-0b.html The premium certified should work under 25ft per Monoprice specs.
Ordered the Monoprice certified premium 20' as well as 3' version to go from player to receiver. Hope that will solve the dropout issues
post #1780 of 2834 Old 02-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Question on Oppo UHD Player

Apologize if this has already been answered elsewhere. I currently have a Sony UBP-X800 player and so far the out of the box HDR picture mode has been impressive, and I switch to low lamp to boot. Recently read that Oppo has introduced a feature that does custom tone mapping. I know folks who have the x000 units will benefit as they have to use custom gamma curves, but will it yield significantly better results on the x020 projectors?
post #1781 of 2834 Old 02-05-2018, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes buddy, You can do without Fiber if it's at/or under 25'. I have the Monoprice Certified 25' cable, and it works flawlessly.
post #1782 of 2834 Old 02-05-2018, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the write-up. I considered buying the same xpand glasses... But I am on the fence with 3D. I might put the money elsewhere.

-T
Actually, I was on the fence with doing 3D as well ( i really don't like consumer-based 3D in general). Took the plunge with the XPAND Emitter and glasses, and I can't rave about it enough...Some movies are better than others, but I found a 'rebirth' in certain titles like Avatar and Jurassic Park...JP looks friken amazing in 3D, and the wife/kids love it. The XPAND Emitter + XPand glasses were pretty inexpensive, imo, and have already paid for itself. Please try it!
post #1783 of 2834 Old 02-06-2018, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Following the recent 3D Glasses discussion on this thread, I sent an e-mail to the Xpand contact that was mentioned: David Chechelashvili ([email protected]). I asked David about individual and multi-unit pricing on the horizontally-polarized glasses that are optimized for JVC projectors (model: X105-RF-X3). David was very quick to respond with the following.

Quote:
  • Is this the correct model number for 3D glasses specifically for JVC projectors?
Yes

• If so, what is the price per pair (incl. any taxes and shipping costs)
$100 plus shipping

• What is the total price for 4 pairs of these glasses purchased in one transaction?
5% discount

• Do you have a pricing breakdown for discounts on a bulk purchase of these glasses? Such as, 4+, 8+, 12+, etc.
5% discount upto 10 pairs, 10-20 pairs 10% discount
20+ pairs 15% discount
There is likely little mark-up on 3D glasses, so the discounts aren't huge. It may be tough to justify the investment for a technology that has already been omitted from most, if not all, current TVs and is likely dying a slow death...
post #1784 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Ox View Post
Following the recent 3D Glasses discussion on this thread, I sent an e-mail to the Xpand contact that was mentioned: David Chechelashvili ([email protected]). I asked David about individual and multi-unit pricing on the horizontally-polarized glasses that are optimized for JVC projectors (model: X105-RF-X3). David was very quick to respond with the following.

There is likely little mark-up on 3D glasses, so the discounts aren't huge. It may be tough to justify the investment for a technology that has already been omitted from most, if not all, current TVs and is likely dying a slow death...
Thanks for reaching out to XPAND.
Doc_Ox likes this.
post #1785 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Yes random dropout definitely can be from the cable and I suspect that is your problem.
post #1786 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Active, probably not, but premium certified, yes. Still test cable before putting in wall/ceiling. You can still get a bad cable, even if premium certified. Have heard from people this has happened to.
post #1787 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Ox View Post

Correct.
Doc_Ox likes this.
post #1788 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I've had a few dropouts happen to me, but my biggest problem was the initial handshake when switching input, or when waking up my source out of sleep. I had a few passive cables that were "certified" and rated for 4K, but I always had to disconnect and reconnect them to get things to start working again. I recently spent $50 on a 30ft Monoprice DynamicView cable, which is active and it improved the reliability dramatically. You may want to give one a shot. You can buy it on Amazon and return it if it doesn't prove to be reliable for you.
post #1789 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
So does anyone actually have their HDR modes working satisfactory with this projector?....I'm running an Apple TV 4K through my Oppo 203 or using HDR discs and when I'm in HDR mode...the picture does indeed pop more with what's in clear focus but the colours are always over saturated with whites looking blue or green and anything dark looking very black with too high of a contrast...I've tried someone's suggestion of setting the target nits in the oppo player to 200 or 250 nits but that doesn't seem to improve things much. I prefer the picture in Cinema mode and am thinking of turning off the HDR on my AppleTV since I usually end up switching it back to cinema mode anyway. I guess I'll be saving on bulb life too since it won't be on the bright setting?
post #1790 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbery View Post
So does anyone actually have their HDR modes working satisfactory with this projector?....I'm running an Apple TV 4K through my Oppo 203 or using HDR discs and when I'm in HDR mode...the picture does indeed pop more with what's in clear focus but the colours are always over saturated with whites looking blue or green and anything dark looking very black with too high of a contrast...I've tried someone's suggestion of setting the target nits in the oppo player to 200 or 250 nits but that doesn't seem to improve things much. I prefer the picture in Cinema mode and am thinking of turning off the HDR on my AppleTV since I usually end up switching it back to cinema mode anyway. I guess I'll be saving on bulb life too since it won't be on the bright setting?
Do you have Oppo HDR setting to HDR off 2020?
Do you have projector set to standard or natural with gamma selected to custom 2.4?
post #1791 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Do you have Oppo HDR setting to HDR off 2020?
Do you have projector set to standard or natural with gamma selected to custom 2.4?
I believe the Oppo HDR setting is on auto
I'll check the projector...
thanks
post #1792 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I believe the Oppo HDR setting is on auto
I'll check the projector...
thanks
With it at auto, you are not using the Oppo for tone mapping, like you need to. Also you can't have HDR selected for profile on the projector.
post #1793 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 2147
Quote:
With it at auto, you are not using the Oppo for tone mapping, like you need to. Also you can't have HDR selected for profile on the projector.
So Mike Garrett, what would @limbery need, a custom user profile in the projector?
What about the Oppo?
Thanks,
Russ
post #1794 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I don't understand that I can't have HDR selected on the projector?...then the bulb isn't in bright mode and I'm not getting the HDR in that case no?
I've turned the HDR on the Oppo to off and selected the custom gamma to 2.4 but if I put the projector in HDR mode, it defaults to the HDR gamma setting. Isn't this what it's supposed to be?
post #1795 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
So Mike Garrett, what would @limbery need, a custom user profile in the projector?
What about the Oppo?
Thanks,
Russ
He does not have to, but I would. Just select one of the user profiles not used and set it up.
post #1796 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I don't understand that I can't have HDR selected on the projector?...then the bulb isn't in bright mode and I'm not getting the HDR in that case no?
I've turned the HDR on the Oppo to off and selected the custom gamma to 2.4 but if I put the projector in HDR mode, it defaults to the HDR gamma setting. Isn't this what it's supposed to be?
You can select high or low lamp. What most are missing, HDR in a projector is the projector doing the tone mapping. We want to make it so that the Oppo is doing the tone mapping, not the projector. So you set the projector to standard or natural and select custom gamma of 2.4. Then you turn the opp HDR to off BT2020. You also need to select the luminance, try 250/300 and the choice of 1 through 4 for the HDR selection. Now the projector will receive the HDR signal from the source and do the tone mapping, not the projector. It is just another way to get there for HDR and it is a better way, since the Oppo does a better job with tone mapping than the projector. I recommend trying mode 2 in the Oppo for the tone mapping.
neo_2009 likes this.
post #1797 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You can select high or low lamp. What most are missing, HDR in a projector is the projector doing the tone mapping. We want to make it so that the Oppo is doing the tone mapping, not the projector. So you set the projector to standard or natural and select custom gamma of 2.4. Then you turn the opp HDR to off BT2020. You also need to select the luminance, try 250/300 and the choice of 1 through 4 for the HDR selection. Now the projector will receive the HDR signal from the source and do the tone mapping, not the projector. It is just another way to get there for HDR and it is a better way, since the Oppo does a better job with tone mapping than the projector. I recommend trying mode 2 in the Oppo for the tone mapping.
OK...I've got the projector set at natural and custom gamma 2.4 and the Oppo HDR set to off...I don't see any setting for BT2020? or the luminance settings (is this the nits target? I found that and have it at 250)
So how is the Oppo doing the tone mapping if the HDR is set at off in it?
post #1798 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
OK...I've got the projector set at natural and custom gamma 2.4 and the Oppo HDR set to off...I don't see any setting for BT2020? or the luminance settings (is this the nits target? I found that and have it at 250)
So how is the Oppo doing the tone mapping if the HDR is set at off in it?
Under HDR in the Oppo it should have HDR off BT2020 as a choice. At least that is the choice in the 5 and 6 series. What does it have for the 4 series? HDR is set to off in the projector, not the source. The source is sending the HDR. You just don't want the HDR flag sent to the projector. The HDR flag is what tells the projector to do it's tone mapping. You are letting the Oppo do the tone mapping.
post #1799 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Under HDR in the Oppo it should have HDR off BT2020 as a choice. At least that is the choice in the 5 and 6 series. What does it have for the 4 series? HDR is set to off in the projector, not the source. The source is sending the HDR. You just don't want the HDR flag sent to the projector. The HDR flag is what tells the projector to do it's tone mapping. You are letting the Oppo do the tone mapping.
The choices in the Oppo are auto, off, forced, strip metadata for the HDR setting

If I have my projector set in natural mode how do I stop it from automatically switching into HDR mode when the Apple TV detects an HDR program?
post #1800 of 2834 Old 02-08-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 2147
Quote:
He does not have to, but I would. Just select one of the user profiles not used and set it up.
Got it Mike. I do use user 1 with a 2.3 gamma I think. Looking soon to getting the Oppo 203.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc rs420 420

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page