Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3492Likes

post #1861 of 2731 Old 02-24-2018, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
Actually, I was on the fence with doing 3D as well ( i really don't like consumer-based 3D in general). Took the plunge with the XPAND Emitter and glasses, and I can't rave about it enough...Some movies are better than others, but I found a 'rebirth' in certain titles like Avatar and Jurassic Park...JP looks friken amazing in 3D, and the wife/kids love it. The XPAND Emitter + XPand glasses were pretty inexpensive, imo, and have already paid for itself. Please try it!
Likely soon to be new owner here, as I've been looking for a good 4K/3D projector. 3D is a huge deal to me with any projector, and certainly not an afterthought. I've got quite the 3D library built up, and many I still haven't had time to watch yet (and the new Thor movie in 3D coming from the UK soon). My last two projectors have been Benq DLP and I've sworn by them up until now because of the crosstalk free 3D. I still own a Benq W1500 and it has great 3D, so this one would have a lot to live up to there.

But with this projector having such excellent contrast AND 3D crosstalk reduction settings - it may be time to try it out. I just hope that dialed in with the proper 3D setup - the least amount of crosstalk won't still be too much for me.

As for the 3D glasses/emitter, I've read back several pages and I feel like this PJ needs a guide just for that. I've heard of the XPAND glasses but didn't see the X105-RF-X3 listed on their own site, but if I'm reading things right I guess I need to contact one of their guys directly to order the horizontally polarized glasses (and they will still be around $100 for each?)

I'm like to save, but will pay what I need to get started with at least a transmitter/one set of glasses because as I said 3D is going to be used frequently in my case. But if there is not much difference in the JVC vs the cheaper brands I'll just go with JVC branded stuff. I looked the transmitter up in the manual and have found the PK-EM2 which seems to be about $80 on Ebay with many from Japan. Hopefully they will be authentic, I've had mixed results and ended up getting knock off electronics from Japan in the past.

If what I understand is right, the choice of glasses after that is up to me. I don't need the Xpand transmitter for their own glasses to work right? If I get the JVC emitter I can choose JVC glasses or some other cheaper RF (horizontally polarized) glasses and they will work with that JVC transmitter? I saw one transmitter with a wire attached on ebay, and I'd much prefer the neat look of the wireless JVC transmitter. I'm guessing the wire was there bc one is IR and one is RF - so if I go with the PK-EM2 I need to make sure I get RF glasses not IR.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any advice/product links one might give a noob here Btw does this projector do 2D to 3D conversion?

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films

Last edited by gamermwm; 02-24-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 2731 Old 02-24-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Speaking of the user1 picture mode setting, has anyone noticed a slight red push compared to user2 through user5?

-T
Following up since i did some testing today. Keep in mind that my 420 is not professionally calibrated.

1. If I select "User 1" for the picture mode, then I notice a bad red push. My pj is off, but I think it defaults to color profile Custom 1. Anyway, picture modes for User 2-5 do not behave that way by default since they have their own Custom profile.

2. I chose picture mode "User 2," then selected several different color profiles:
2.1. Select color profile Custom 1 and I see the red push
2.2. Select color profile BT2020, it has the same exact red push that I saw in Custom 1 color profile..

Based on the above, do I need a repair done? Unless "Custom 1" color file is really BT2020... meaning I have no defect in the pj.

Thoughts?

-T

Edit:
When I said red push, I mean compared to the other custom color profiles. It's not a red push that's very offensive. In fact, I am watching American Made bluray with Tom Cruise with that color profile which is the same as BT 2020.

Last edited by T-Bone; 02-24-2018 at 02:28 PM.
post #1863 of 2731 Old 02-24-2018, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Following up since i did some testing today. Keep in mind that my 420 is not professionally calibrated.

1. If I select "User 1" for the picture mode, then I notice a bad red push. My pj is off, but I think it defaults to color profile Custom 1. Anyway, picture modes for User 2-5 do not behave that way by default since they have their own Custom profile.

2. I chose picture mode "User 2," then selected several different color profiles:
2.2. Select color profile BT2020, it has the same exact red push that I saw in Custom 1 color profile..

Based on the above, do I need a repair done? Unless "Custom 1" color file is really BT2020... meaning I have no defect in the pj.

Thoughts?

-T

Edit:
When I said red push, I mean compared to the other custom color profiles. It's not a red push that's very offensive. In fact, I am watching American Made bluray with Tom Cruise with that color profile which is the same as BT 2020.
I always thought the custom color profiles were just placeholders to put in user calibrated values. They are not supposed to represent anything. If you do not calibrate and set colors yourself then you have to chose an available built-in color profile. Am I incorrect in my assumptions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 2731 Old 02-24-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
Quote:

Thoughts?

-T

Edit:
I always thought the custom color profiles were just placeholders to put in user calibrated values. They are not supposed to represent anything. If you do not calibrate and set colors yourself then you have to chose an available built-in color profile. Am I incorrect in my assumptions?
I thought so too. It seems like custom profile 1 is the oddball. Here are some pictures. The camera makes things look slightly different. But the main point is that custom profile 1 and BT2020 look the same on the camera just like they look the same in-person.

I uploaded four pictures from my phone. Hopefully they all made it up

-T

Edit. Images from the newest Transformers movie. Blu-ray disc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_170511_1519510373015.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	2366298   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_170449_1519510485116.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	2366300   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_170458_1519510544252.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2366304  

Last edited by T-Bone; 02-24-2018 at 03:30 PM.
post #1865 of 2731 Old 02-24-2018, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I thought so too. It seems like custom profile 1 is the oddball. Here are some pictures. The camera makes things look slightly different. But the main point is that custom profile 1 and BT2020 look the same on the camera just like they look the same in-person.

-T
Then it must be the default setting left on for "Custom 1" color profile. Either way, if you do not calibrate yourself, you will be selecting an existing profile so how does it matter what custom1 looks like? Or are you saying BT2020 is displaying a red push out of the box?
post #1866 of 2731 Old 02-24-2018, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

-T
Then it must be the default setting left on for "Custom 1" color profile. Either way, if you do not calibrate yourself, you will be selecting an existing profile so how does it matter what custom1 looks like? Or are you saying BT2020 is displaying a red push out of the box?
I guess what I'm saying is custom1 is not blank. It looks exactly the same as BT 2020.

I realize I can use anything I want. I don't have to use custom1. I guess I was wondering aloud if everyone else had the same issue that I had, meaning, their custom1 is exactly the same color profile as BT 2020.

So using BT2020, or custom1, in my case it does not matter because they're the same... I actually like the look of the image. It has a red push compared to the other color modes.

Somebody humor me and switch the color mode to custom1, and then switch it to bt2020, and let us know if they're the same or different.

-T
post #1867 of 2731 Old 02-24-2018, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is custom1 is not blank. It looks exactly the same as BT 2020.

I realize I can use anything I want. I don't have to use custom1. I guess I was wondering aloud if everyone else had the same issue that I had, meaning, their custom1 is exactly the same color profile as BT 2020.

So using BT2020, or custom1, in my case it does not matter because they're the same... I actually like the look of the image. It has a red push compared to the other color modes.

Somebody humor me and switch the color mode to custom1, and then switch it to bt2020, and let us know if they're the same or different.

-T
Disregard. After dong more research (e.g. RS520 thread), it's true custom1 color profile is indeed too red. Going back to Standard (rec709) for blurays. I guess that's juts the way JVC built it.

-T
post #1868 of 2731 Old 02-25-2018, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
520 is 96hz as well. I went from watching a Benq w7000 DLP for 3d for the last 4 years to the RS520 and I am having a hard time adjusting to the flicker in particular (and to a lesser extent ghosting). You'll definitely be taking a step back in these two areas if you are used to the rock solid DLP image. On the flip side, you do get MUCH better contrast, but for me it feels like two steps backwards and one step forward vs my DLP (3 steps back if I consider the broken CMD on the JVCs).

I would suggest trying to find one locally and see what you think before buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFlyy View Post
Thanks Toe, this is in parallel with my observations.
I've tested them already locally: 6040ub vs JVC previous generation RS500 (I think equivalent of 520) and I had the following impressions re: 3d:

- Epson image slightly better, brighter (no flickering) but with noticable ghosting (perhaps something to get rid with proper settings)
- JVC sharper, deeper image but I would say worse than Epson - flicker noticable

so for 3d i would still rank
#1 in this case my cheap optoma hd28dse PJ (I was planning to replace soon),
#2 Epson,
#3 JVC but this function was hardly usable on this PJ due to the effect I described above

I have 60+ movies in 3d which we enjoy watching with whole family, so I see that there is really no 1 PJ meeting all the needs
on the other hand whole infrastructure is ready including cables, audio and the uhd player ...

So it looks I may end up with having two: one DLP only for 3d and the other for the rest. Does this make sense wth JVC 420/520 ?
But i need some noticable difference to justify the purchase to the family, "two step back" as you said Toe in 3d is counter-argument...

Perhaps Epson then would do: 1 step back in 3d but few steps forward in the rest. Big headache but its good there is always a choice.

"broken CMDs in JVC" whats that?
Well that pretty much convinced me. I was already on the fence about buying this PJ with the higher cost of getting 3D transmitter/glasses and I'm glad I went back to the early pages of the thread to see how 3D really performed on this projector vs. excellent DLP 144hz 3D. I was going to upgrade something (either my tv or PJ), so I think for now I'll just stick with my Benq W1500 for 3D movies and probably just get a 4K OLED 65" or Sony 75" 900E for any 4K material I watch.

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films

Last edited by gamermwm; 02-25-2018 at 01:13 AM.
post #1869 of 2731 Old 02-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Network Question

I am trying to use an IP control app and see that the projector loses its network connectivity in standby mode. Is anyone using a similar remote app with this unit?

Btw, when I asked this question before the only response I got was a virtual eye roll, so I apologize if this is a dumb question.
post #1870 of 2731 Old 02-25-2018, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I am trying to use an IP control app and see that the projector loses its network connectivity in standby mode. Is anyone using a similar remote app with this unit?

Btw, when I asked this question before the only response I got was a virtual eye roll, so I apologize if this is a dumb question.
Personally, I don't see any importance for the network connection on my JVC projector especially since the firmware can't be updated through it
post #1871 of 2731 Old 02-25-2018, 09:48 AM

I bought a house a few years ago which came with a theatre room already there....no theatre as the previous owners just used the windowless room for storage. I've been spending most of my budget on gear rather than the room and I finally got sick of the pus green walls and white ceiling and decided to make it look a little more like a dedicated HT....Wow, everyone was correct in stating that a black ceiling really makes the projector's image pop!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0727.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1,001.3 KB
ID:	2366578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	971.8 KB
ID:	2366580   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2366582  
T-Bone, skypop, kyzer soze and 1 others like this.
post #1872 of 2731 Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
I find the JVC manual a little confusing. I'm trying to find the best method to save and recall settings with the least number of button presses so I can program my Harmony remote.

I want to have one setting for TV/movies, with the appropriate settings for picture, MPC, CMD, etc, and then have another one for gaming, etc. What is the best way to accomplish that? Would I set my gaming settings in the Natural picture mode, then my TV/movie settings in Cinema mode, and then just push the "Natural" and "Cinema" buttons to jump between them?
@ed3120 - were you able to accomplish this on your Harmony remote?

I finally got the "power off" command to work correctly in my activities, so now I'm trying to get user-modes added to the activity sets. I have a custom "GAME" mode that I select when playing XB1 to turn on low-latency mode, and I would really like to have the Harmony select the appropriate picture/user modes for each activity.
post #1873 of 2731 Old 02-26-2018, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshMPH View Post
Quote:
I find the JVC manual a little confusing. I'm trying to find the best method to save and recall settings with the least number of button presses so I can program my Harmony remote.

I want to have one setting for TV/movies, with the appropriate settings for picture, MPC, CMD, etc, and then have another one for gaming, etc. What is the best way to accomplish that? Would I set my gaming settings in the Natural picture mode, then my TV/movie settings in Cinema mode, and then just push the "Natural" and "Cinema" buttons to jump between them?
@ed3120 - were you able to accomplish this on your Harmony remote?

I finally got the "power off" command to work correctly in my activities, so now I'm trying to get user-modes added to the activity sets. I have a custom "GAME" mode that I select when playing XB1 to turn on low-latency mode, and I would really like to have the Harmony select the appropriate picture/user modes for each activity.
I haven?t gotten to tweaking low latency mode and CMD for different profiles yet. I?ve just been watching everything in the same mode. I haven?t been able to get a reliable Off configuration. It usually pushes the off button once to bring up the standby prompt, but it only completes the power down about 1 out of every 3 times. How did you solve that? I have my power off settings in the device set for 5 presses of power off button in a row and that still doesn?t help.

I also have trouble on the power on sequence for a different input. For instance, if I end the night watching something on HDMI 2, the next day when I power on the projector to an activity that requires HDMI 1, it usually powers on the projector but doesn?t change the input successfully. My power on delay is 45000 ms (45 seconds) and I have a sequence of multiple presses of the HDMI 1 button with 5 second delays between presses and it still usually doesn?t work.

It?s frustrating, as when I sit down to watch my nVidia Shield with 4K output, I usually have to do the activity sequence, then hit HDMI 2, wait 15 seconds, and hit HDMI 1 and then wait another 15 seconds. That?s after waiting over a minute for the activity sequence.

My other delay settings for the projector are currently Internet delay = 500, Input delay = 3000, and Inter-device delay = 1500.

I don?t have this problem with any other device and I?ve programmed a lot of Harmony sequences throughout the years. I use a Harmony 900 with an IR blaster and the it responds flawlessly when I push all of the buttons myself on the remote. It just doesn?t work reliably in the sequences for only my projector.

I?d appreciate any advice that you have.
post #1874 of 2731 Old 02-27-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I haven?t been able to get a reliable Off configuration. It usually pushes the off button once to bring up the standby prompt, but it only completes the power down about 1 out of every 3 times. How did you solve that? I have my power off settings in the device set for 5 presses of power off button in a row and that still doesn?t help.
@ed3120 - Screenshot of my Harmony command setup for Power Off on JVC RS420 is attached. I'm not sure exactly how I was able to get the power off on the JVC first, but the two 5s gaps shown in the screenshot, and making the JVC the first device to turn off was the key.

If JVC is not the first device to power off, the signal-loss from peripherals powering off causes any power off commands sent to the JVC to not be received.

Hope that helps.

I'll keep playing with the User Modes and CMD profiles; the problem I've encountered is that the button sequence varies depending on the User Mode it is currently in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20180224-172127.png
Views:	48
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	2367624  
post #1875 of 2731 Old 02-27-2018, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
To switch user modes easily with my harmony remote I created a sequence that first selects natural, delays, select picture mode, then arrow down correct number of times (to correct mode), hit enter, delay, hit back.

If that doesn't make sense I can post a screenshot of my sequence. And spell out the sequence in more detail later once I get home. I am doing it from memory now.

I have sequences called HRD, SDR2020, HDR game, SDR game, SDR, and just start them on my remote once things are up and running.
post #1876 of 2731 Old 02-27-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remenakb View Post
To switch user modes easily with my harmony remote I created a sequence that first selects natural, delays, select picture mode, then arrow down correct number of times (to correct mode), hit enter, delay, hit back.

If that doesn't make sense I can post a screenshot of my sequence. And spell out the sequence in more detail later once I get home. I am doing it from memory now.

I have sequences called HRD, SDR2020, HDR game, SDR game, SDR, and just start them on my remote once things are up and running.
I would love to have a screen shot for reference on one of the activities.

I mapped it out using the JVC remote to try and log the button commands, but ran into a roadblock where the starting point for User Mode is always the mode previously selected, so the button commands don't start from the "top" ("top" is Cinema on the default list). One way around that I suppose is to force the user mode to the "top" of the list on the power-off sequence, that way the JVC is always starting from the same point during power-on.
post #1877 of 2731 Old 02-27-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:

I mapped it out using the JVC remote to try and log the button commands, but ran into a roadblock where the starting point for User Mode is always the mode previously selected, so the button commands don't start from the "top" ("top" is Cinema on the default list). One way around that I suppose is to force the user mode to the "top" of the list on the power-off sequence, that way the JVC is always starting from the same point during power-on.
I will post a screenshot later tonight.

My solution toyour problem was to make the sequence force the mode to a known location, and I choose natural. I think because that is just above the user modes and I needed less arrow downs. I also choose to have the sequence set it because you also don't know what mode you are in if the projector auto-select HDR (unless you have an HDFury product).
post #1878 of 2731 Old 02-27-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 12674 Post(s)
Liked: 10303
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

I just put my HDR settings in User 1 and SDR settings in User 3. Then I added those buttons to the screen for all of my activities and have the user 1 and user 3 buttons on the first screen. So when ever watching anything that is HDR, I just hit user 1 and SDR, I hit user 3. I had other settings for user 2, but ended up not using them. That is why I skipped user 2.
post #1879 of 2731 Old 02-27-2018, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Can I take advantage of such a procedure with the Harmony 650?
post #1880 of 2731 Old 02-27-2018, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Hi Everyone!

Well, got my RS420 up and running and love it! I ended up ordering a UDP-203 and just installed it...but this is as far as I got. I'm lost, lol, and looking for some guidance.

Here's my setup:

Denon X4300 w/ Xbox One X and Nvidia Shield (using for streaming and playing 4K UHD content via an external hard drive), those are running through as inputs through my AVR, then I have an HDMI cable from the AVR to the input of the Oppo, and then lastly, output from Oppo to RS420. Is that setup correctly? I know I'll need one more HDMI cable for audio when playing back discs, so I'll tackle that later.

Assuming that the cable setup is correct (everything played fine), I'm hoping someone can help out dialing in baseline settings. My main reason for getting the Oppo was enabling the Digital Iris constantly while playing Xbox / 4K Content that isn't on a Disc, and then the tone mapping that I keep hearing about. When I went through the settings briefly on the Oppo, I couldn't find anything about tone mapping (total noob here, sorry), so I'm wondering if someone can offer a bit of help and maybe some baseline settings/adjustments on their PJ that would serve as a good starting point for someone like me.

Also, if viewing non HDR content, is there an easy recommendation on how to switch color profiles with this setup?

Thanks in advance (I promise, I've actually read a lot of this thread, just not all of it)!
post #1881 of 2731 Old 02-27-2018, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
@ed3120 - Screenshot of my Harmony command setup for Power Off on JVC RS420 is attached. I'm not sure exactly how I was able to get the power off on the JVC first, but the two 5s gaps shown in the screenshot, and making the JVC the first device to turn off was the key.

If JVC is not the first device to power off, the signal-loss from peripherals powering off causes any power off commands sent to the JVC to not be received.

Hope that helps.

I'll keep playing with the User Modes and CMD profiles; the problem I've encountered is that the button sequence varies depending on the User Mode it is currently in.

Thanks. My Harmony 900 doesn't allow for pauses during the shutdown. I only have the option of sending 6 commands. I send 6 Power Offs in a row and that works only sometimes.
post #1882 of 2731 Old 02-27-2018, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idyfohu View Post
Hi Everyone!

Well, got my RS420 up and running and love it! I ended up ordering a UDP-203 and just installed it...but this is as far as I got. I'm lost, lol, and looking for some guidance.

Here's my setup:

Denon X4300 w/ Xbox One X and Nvidia Shield (using for streaming and playing 4K UHD content via an external hard drive), those are running through as inputs through my AVR, then I have an HDMI cable from the AVR to the input of the Oppo, and then lastly, output from Oppo to RS420. Is that setup correctly? I know I'll need one more HDMI cable for audio when playing back discs, so I'll tackle that later.

Assuming that the cable setup is correct (everything played fine), I'm hoping someone can help out dialing in baseline settings. My main reason for getting the Oppo was enabling the Digital Iris constantly while playing Xbox / 4K Content that isn't on a Disc, and then the tone mapping that I keep hearing about. When I went through the settings briefly on the Oppo, I couldn't find anything about tone mapping (total noob here, sorry), so I'm wondering if someone can offer a bit of help and maybe some baseline settings/adjustments on their PJ that would serve as a good starting point for someone like me.

Also, if viewing non HDR content, is there an easy recommendation on how to switch color profiles with this setup?

Thanks in advance (I promise, I've actually read a lot of this thread, just not all of it)!
If you re only using the NVidia to play streaming HDR content (and take advantage of tone mapping) then easier to plug that into the Oppo's input, then run the Oppo and Xbox through the receiver to the projector the conventional way. I personally like running through the receiver as I like having the receiver's OSD available at all times.

As far as initial setting, I took advice from many different threads here and played with bunch of them and came up with two that look really good.

User 1: For SDR content
Lamp: Low
Iris: -9
Clear Black: Low
MPC: Eshift on, Enhance 2, Smoothing 0, Enhance 0
Blur: Low latency on (use this mode for games also), CMD off, motion enhance off
Color Profile: Standard
Gamma: 2.3
Color Temp: 6500K

User 2: For HDR content
Lamp: Low
Iris: -6
Clear Black: Off
MPC: Eshift on, Enhance 2, Smoothing 0, Enhance 0
Blur: Low latency off, CMD off, motion enhance off
Color Profile: BT2020
Gamma: 2.4
Color Temp: HDR, correction 6500K

On the Oppo:

HDR Settings:
HDR Off BT 2020 (Install public Beta first)
Mode 2
Target Luminance 300

I have a light controlled room with dark walls, 125" 2.35 screen, 1.3 gain, throw distance 16'
idyfohu likes this.
post #1883 of 2731 Old 02-27-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Here is the screenshot. I have these programmed for on the touchscreen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	2367892  
post #1884 of 2731 Old 03-02-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbery View Post
I bought a house a few years ago which came with a theatre room already there....no theatre as the previous owners just used the windowless room for storage. I've been spending most of my budget on gear rather than the room and I finally got sick of the pus green walls and white ceiling and decided to make it look a little more like a dedicated HT....Wow, everyone was correct in stating that a black ceiling really makes the projector's image pop!
wait until you go black velvet on the entire front stage (ceiling/walls)...I thought flat black paint was awesome, until my velvet went up...EEK! Or perhaps the right verbiage would be "INK!"...what a diff. on my setup
luzovich likes this.
post #1885 of 2731 Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
wait until you go black velvet on the entire front stage (ceiling/walls)...I thought flat black paint was awesome, until my velvet went up...EEK! Or perhaps the right verbiage would be "INK!"...what a diff. on my setup
My back wall is black velvet...yes it really makes the picture pop!
KBMAN likes this.
post #1886 of 2731 Old 03-03-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Hey guys, I start to searching for PJ. I’m thinking JVC 420U, 440U or Epson 5040ub. My gear is in my signature. It will be in livingroom with good ( not great) light control and Really looking for evening movie or sports watching. Don’t have screen yet.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Apple 4K TV, Mac mini, Sony UBP-X800, PS3
post #1887 of 2731 Old 03-03-2018, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Question re hdr settings - the image looks a bit washed out when playing 4k hdr blu rays in comparison to standard 1080p blu rays. Whats the consensus on hdr settings for this projector? Is the hd fury linker the way to go to enable the dynamic iris? Thanks
post #1888 of 2731 Old 03-03-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeargentPeppers View Post
Question re hdr settings - the image looks a bit washed out when playing 4k hdr blu rays in comparison to standard 1080p blu rays. Whats the consensus on hdr settings for this projector? Is the hd fury linker the way to go to enable the dynamic iris? Thanks
The Oppo UDP-203 is the go to choice, just the spendiest route.

Speaking of, has anyone here installed the newest Firmware? I'm needing some help with settings (@gravi, are you there my friend, lol). I'm unsure if I should leave everything on Auto and then just switch only these as recommended a few posts above on the Oppo:

"On the Oppo:

HDR Settings:
Mode 2
Target Luminance 300

I followed these settings and the HDR picture is oversaturated and a bit dark, so not sure if anyone has time to play around with the settings on their 420. I've been following the Oppo thread and a few other JVC threads, but wanted to see if any fellow 420 owners (those more knowledgable than me) have tested it out.

Thanks!
post #1889 of 2731 Old 03-03-2018, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by idyfohu View Post
The Oppo UDP-203 is the go to choice, just the spendiest route.

Speaking of, has anyone here installed the newest Firmware? I'm needing some help with settings (@gravi, are you there my friend, lol). I'm unsure if I should leave everything on Auto and then just switch only these as recommended a few posts above on the Oppo:

"On the Oppo:

HDR Settings:

Mode 2

Target Luminance 300

I followed these settings and the HDR picture is oversaturated and a bit dark, so not sure if anyone has time to play around with the settings on their 420. I've been following the Oppo thread and a few other JVC threads, but wanted to see if any fellow 420 owners (those more knowledgable than me) have tested it out.

Thanks!

I have watched a few movies with the new firmware and I’m very happy with it. Make sure you are switching the projector into bt2020 color mode. Also download the OPPO media control app. The app lets you make changes to your video output settings on the fly, so getting things like the target luminance dialed in is super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1890 of 2731 Old 03-03-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
I have watched a few movies with the new firmware and I’m very happy with it. Make sure you are switching the projector into bt2020 color mode. Also download the OPPO media control app. The app lets you make changes to your video output settings on the fly, so getting things like the target luminance dialed in is super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome, didn't know about the Oppo app, I'll get that installed.

Would it be a huge pain to take screen shots of your Oppo settings? Or, not to be a pain, other than the settings I posted above, is everything else you have on the default settings? There's so many Auto or UHD or Passthrough settings, I'm just a bit overwhelmed, lol.

I followed Gravi's settings above (but that was assuming it was the open beta firmware update, not the newest).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page