Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3468Likes

post #1891 of 2678 Old 03-04-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12498 Post(s)
Liked: 10115
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Hey guys, I start to searching for PJ. I’m thinking JVC 420U, 440U or Epson 5040ub. My gear is in my signature. It will be in livingroom with good ( not great) light control and Really looking for evening movie or sports watching. Don’t have screen yet.
Since you already own the Oppo 203, I would go for the 420 or maybe even the 520. Using the HDR tone mapping of the Opp gets you the dynamic iris back and the Oppo's HDR performance is better than the projector's HDR performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2678 Old 03-04-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by idyfohu View Post
Awesome, didn't know about the Oppo app, I'll get that installed.

Would it be a huge pain to take screen shots of your Oppo settings? Or, not to be a pain, other than the settings I posted above, is everything else you have on the default settings? There's so many Auto or UHD or Passthrough settings, I'm just a bit overwhelmed, lol.

I followed Gravi's settings above (but that was assuming it was the open beta firmware update, not the newest).

I don’t have anything changed on the OPPO except I switched it to source direct. I have been using mode 2 with about 400 nits, Wonder Woman probably should have been at 500 but I like the picture just a bit brighter at the sacrifice of a few details. I have had my projector professionally calibrated and that has made the biggest difference out of all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1893 of 2678 Old 03-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Since you already own the Oppo 203, I would go for the 420 or maybe even the 520. Using the HDR tone mapping of the Opp gets you the dynamic iris back and the Oppo's HDR performance is better than the projector's HDR performance.
The only issue is that people are now saying the Oppo is not preserving the BT2020 color space during the conversion, or so they suspect (the Oppo thread is buzzing with this topic). Don't know what the practical implications are.
limbery likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 2678 Old 03-04-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Even if you don't have an Oppo, you can load up a custom curve with the Arve tool. It is fairly straight forward.

Follow Javs' instructions here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55203652

I'm using his V3 curves with the following settings:

Low Lamp
Iris -4
bbo .001 (targeting the 68 bar flashing on the R. Masciola patterns)

This produces an outstanding HDR picture that is still perhaps too bright on a 120" screen for my taste. I was watching Altered Carbon and it is painfully bright even at -4. We were all seeing spots. I think I'm going to clamp down to -6 or more later today.
post #1895 of 2678 Old 03-05-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
The only issue is that people are now saying the Oppo is not preserving the BT2020 color space during the conversion, or so they suspect (the Oppo thread is buzzing with this topic). Don't know what the practical implications are.
I think that is because of a static test pattern. In other words, does not show what the Oppo is actually doing. Actual screenshots show the Oppo performing as good or better than many of the custom curves.
post #1896 of 2678 Old 03-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think that is because of a static test pattern. In other words, does not show what the Oppo is actually doing. Actual screenshots show the Oppo performing as good or better than many of the custom curves.
Okay, good to know. Some on the Oppo forum were going to do tests to prove or disprove this hypothesis anyway, will wait to see what they come up with.
post #1897 of 2678 Old 03-05-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jetsen might have just solved the OPPO tone mapping issue. Looks like our JVC projectors should be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsen View Post
IMORTANT UPDATE ABOUT "THE PROBLEM" WITH THE OPPO TONE MAPPING.

Ok Everyone, two days ago I made a post about the problem with not getting the SDR/BT2020 conversion to work like it should as advertised by Oppo. I did all the testing and measuring till I dropped and could not get the issue resolved, all testing was done on two sony projectors, the VW760 and the Sony VW260. No matter what I did there was no way I could get SDR/BT2020 to work.

Now today I hooked up a JVCRS440, and guess what, the damned thing worked on it just like it should, so I went on and start figuring out what the problem with the Sony is.

This is it, the Sony wont switch to the BT2020 color gamut when feeding it SDR/BT2020, you can choose the profile but it wont switch. The info page on the menu says it gets BT2020 as input, but no matter what you do it does not display BT2020 colors. When you switch the Sony from SDR gamma to HDR still with the SDR/BT2020 it switches to BT2020 colors but ofcourse with incorrect gamma at that point.

So I it is safe to say that the problem at this point is definitively the Sony that not let you switch on the BT2020 color profile when feeding it a tone mapped SDR/BT2020 signal.
It could serenely be that some other displays out there have the same issue wit this, so that is probably also the reason why a lot of people here got mixed results when doing te testing lik I asked.

Now this is the reason why I wanted to let people test on different displays before I got the engineers at Oppo get into a fit. Now we know what the problem is, it is a switch problem in the Sony that problem needs to be resolved.

So to all out there, the problem IS NOT WITH THE OPPO, but with certain displays that wont accept SDR/BT2020 as input at this time.
Thank to all that were willing to test and hel me out to get the issue sorted out, some if in some other topics this problem pops up, please correct it if you want.

Sorry for all the fuss but I think it was important because a lot of people will stumble on this without knowing why and how to resolve it.
I will take this up with Sony tomorrow to try and get it fixed asap.

Have fun watching with the Oppo and the tone mapping features, it does work :-)
post #1898 of 2678 Old 03-07-2018, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Jetsen might have just solved the OPPO tone mapping issue. Looks like our JVC projectors should be good to go.
RS 420 Settings - Fresh Out the Box

I have lurked here and have taken some screen shots. I recall the best settings pre of calibration are:
( If I am mistaken please correct me, I would like an easy viewing experience for the first weeks until I wrap my head more on the manual and oppo 203 capabilities )

Definition: SD
Natural
Standard
Gama 2.2-2.5
Dark Level +4
Bright -1

Definition:HDR
Dark Level +4
Bright -1
Low Lamp
Auto 2
Gama 2.4

Oppo
"Off BT2020"
Mode 4 250 Nits

My Screen is 100" 1.0 Gain,
Distance 13 Feet
Hardware Oppo 203, Denon 4300H,

Thank you for reading
post #1899 of 2678 Old 03-07-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeigh07 View Post
RS 420 Settings - Fresh Out the Box

I have lurked here and have taken some screen shots. I recall the best settings pre of calibration are:
( If I am mistaken please correct me, I would like an easy viewing experience for the first weeks until I wrap my head more on the manual and oppo 203 capabilities )

Definition: SD
Natural
Standard
Gama 2.2-2.5
Dark Level +4
Bright -1

Definition:HDR
Dark Level +4
Bright -1
Low Lamp
Auto 2
Gama 2.4

Oppo
"Off BT2020"
Mode 4 250 Nits

My Screen is 100" 1.0 Gain,
Distance 13 Feet
Hardware Oppo 203, Denon 4300H,

Thank you for reading
Mine is set to dark level +2 but that's just what the calibrator set it at. The only thing that I see that would really affect your picture is using 250 Nits on the OPPO. I have watched a few UHD disks with the new OPPO firmware and the only one that looked ok at 250 Nits is the old Blade Runner. If I went that high with Wonder Woman or Mad Max I was losing a lot of highlight detail. With those two titles, I had it set at 400 to 500 Nits. Make sure you download the OPPO media control app because it lets you make changes to the modes and the Nits while the movie is playing. That makes it super easy to find a setting that you like.
limbery likes this.

Last edited by Buddylee123; 03-08-2018 at 06:48 AM.
post #1900 of 2678 Old 03-07-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Mine is set to dark level +2 but that's just what the calibrator set it at. The only that I see that would really affect your picture is using 250 Nits on the OPPO. I have watched a few UHD disks with the new OPPO firmware and the only one that looked ok at 250 Nits is the old Blade Runner. If I went that high with Wonder Woman or Mad Max I was losing a lot of highlight detail. With those two titles, I had it set at 400 to 500 Nits. Make sure you download the OPPO media control app because it lets you make changes to the modes and the Nits while the movie is playing. That makes it super easy to find a setting that you like.
Or just hit the wrench button lower left corner of the Oppo remote and do the same thing.
post #1901 of 2678 Old 03-07-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Or just hit the wrench button lower left corner of the Oppo remote and do the same thing.
I must have missed that. App workes great though, nice not having any menus on the screen.
post #1902 of 2678 Old 03-07-2018, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Alright guys, hopefully you don't mind helping me diagnose my problem. I cross posted this over in the Oppo 203 thread too, sorry for any redundancy, but am hoping to get this resolved as it's driving me crazy.

Here's my setup:

JVC RS420 PJ
Denon X4300
Oppo UDP-203
Nvidia Shield
Xbox One X

I rip all my Blu-Ray UHD 4K discs and them on a hard drive for ease of use (yes, lazy, I know). I play my 4K UHD files through my Nvidia Shield, through the media player Kodi. I'm brand new to the Oppo 203 (have only had it for about a week and haven't messed around with it). I just installed the most recent update, did a factory reset, unplugged it, and it shows the correct firmware.

I initially had my Xbox and Nvidia Shield going into my AVR, then from my AVR out to the input on the Oppo, then Output to my JVC. I then tried plugging directly from the Shield, to the Oppo, then to the AVR to see if that would make a difference, no dice.

Here's my issue - If I run HDR Off (BT.2020), I can't get HDR to engage at all. As a result, the color is dark and the color gamut is a mess (over saturated, highlights blown out, and just a mess). The only way I've been able to get HDR to engage is by setting the HDR setting to Auto and/or Forced, but using this method, the picture quality is quite dull and I know it is capable of looking much better. I know one option is to upload customs curves, but I was hoping to use the Oppo's HDR settings instead.

Here are some pictures if it helps. I've tried all the different settings in the Oppo App, Auto everything, fixed color space, etc., and no dice.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm completely lost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4420.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	2371932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4421.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	2371934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4422.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2371936   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4423.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2371938  
post #1903 of 2678 Old 03-07-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Alright guys, hopefully you don't mind helping me diagnose my problem. I cross posted this over in the Oppo 203 thread too, sorry for any redundancy, but am hoping to get this resolved as it's driving me crazy.

Here's my setup:

JVC RS420 PJ
Denon X4300
Oppo UDP-203
Nvidia Shield
Xbox One X

I rip all my Blu-Ray UHD 4K discs and them on a hard drive for ease of use (yes, lazy, I know). I play my 4K UHD files through my Nvidia Shield, through the media player Kodi. I'm brand new to the Oppo 203 (have only had it for about a week and haven't messed around with it). I just installed the most recent update, did a factory reset, unplugged it, and it shows the correct firmware.

I initially had my Xbox and Nvidia Shield going into my AVR, then from my AVR out to the input on the Oppo, then Output to my JVC. I then tried plugging directly from the Shield, to the Oppo, then to the AVR to see if that would make a difference, no dice.

Here's my issue - If I run HDR Off (BT.2020), I can't get HDR to engage at all. As a result, the color is dark and the color gamut is a mess (over saturated, highlights blown out, and just a mess). The only way I've been able to get HDR to engage is by setting the HDR setting to Auto and/or Forced, but using this method, the picture quality is quite dull and I know it is capable of looking much better. I know one option is to upload customs curves, but I was hoping to use the Oppo's HDR settings instead.

Here are some pictures if it helps. I've tried all the different settings in the Oppo App, Auto everything, fixed color space, etc., and no dice.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm completely lost.
Use the Oppo with a 4K HDR movie (actual disc) and see what it looks like.
post #1904 of 2678 Old 03-07-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Buddy, ok, that makes sense...helps me wrap my mind around what's going on. Do you know by chance which setting is gamma 2.4 on the JVC? From memory in the menu settings, it doesn't have them label Gamma 2.4 (or does it)?
I will try to take some pictures of the menu tonight but someone here might be able to talk you through the gamma settings.
post #1905 of 2678 Old 03-07-2018, 04:41 PM

Thanks again...got it figured out (had to change the setting off of HDR and instead to Gamma 2.4 as @Buddylee123 pointed out! Now to watch a flick!
Buddylee123 likes this.
post #1906 of 2678 Old 03-07-2018, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will try to take some pictures of the menu tonight but someone here might be able to talk you through the gamma settings.
You need to select a custom gamma slot (custom1 through 3) and select a correction value of 2.4
post #1907 of 2678 Old 03-08-2018, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update to my previous post about Javs' V3 curves.

I recalibrated my HDR mode using the 1200nit V3 curve for:

Low Lamp
Iris -6
bbo .0008

My signal chain is Panasonic UB-900 -> Onkyo TX-RZ800 -> HDFury Linker -> PJ.

This is the sweet spot for my environment w/ a 120" 1.0 gain screen at minimum throw. I have outstanding shadow detail with these settings and HDR still has a nice bright pop to it in all the right places. For reference, using the R.Masciola patterns, bar 68 is just visible and each increasing bar value is obviously brighter than the last. It really isn't hard to setup these curves! If you don't already have an Oppo, you don't need one to enjoy HDR.

There are two choices for HDR:

1. Linker and use a custom curve
2. Oppo with tone mapping

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these, but there are options.
post #1908 of 2678 Old 03-09-2018, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
Update to my previous post about Javs' V3 curves.

I recalibrated my HDR mode using the 1200nit V3 curve for:

Low Lamp
Iris -6
bbo .0008

My signal chain is Panasonic UB-900 -> Onkyo TX-RZ800 -> HDFury Linker -> PJ.

This is the sweet spot for my environment w/ a 120" 1.0 gain screen at minimum throw. I have outstanding shadow detail with these settings and HDR still has a nice bright pop to it in all the right places. For reference, using the R.Masciola patterns, bar 68 is just visible and each increasing bar value is obviously brighter than the last. It really isn't hard to setup these curves! If you don't already have an Oppo, you don't need one to enjoy HDR.

There are two choices for HDR:

1. Linker and use a custom curve
2. Oppo with tone mapping

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these, but there are options.
Hi

Is it possible to use a custom curve without a Linker?
post #1909 of 2678 Old 03-09-2018, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apcreek View Post
Hi

Is it possible to use a custom curve without a Linker?

You can use a custom curve without the linker, you just won’t have use of the DI

c.kingsley and apcreek like this.
post #1910 of 2678 Old 03-09-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can use a custom curve without the linker, you just won’t have use of the DI

And the projector will auto-switch into its HDR mode whenever metadata is detected. Then you will have to input switch to your custom setting. This is a minor annoyance. If you use a Linker you still have to switch to your custom mode but the projector doesn't jump into HDR mode automatically when a 4K movie is inserted.
post #1911 of 2678 Old 03-09-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post
And the projector will auto-switch into its HDR mode whenever metadata is detected. Then you will have to input switch to your custom setting. This is a minor annoyance. If you use a Linker you still have to switch to your custom mode but the projector doesn't jump into HDR mode automatically when a 4K movie is inserted.

True, my favorite thing about the OPPO now is that I can get a very nice picture from a UHD disk and keep my projector in low lamp mode. My room is fairly small and the JVC is just way too loud in high lamp mode for me.

post #1912 of 2678 Old 03-09-2018, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry if this is basic question. I'm still new to all this home theater stuff. I have a JVC 570R(oppo 203 player FYI) which i had calibrated 2 weeks ago. The guy told me when i watch 4k movies that i choose HDR setting which it does automatically. For regular tv and blue rays to watch in the cinema setting. Now when i do this the HDR is still on as i can hear it on my JVC player and the picture seems 2 dark. If i go to natural setting(HDR shuts off) picture looks almost 2 bright but is better then watching the dark cinema setting.

When i went to the store i bought everything on his JVC he showed me the option of going to cinema and then you turn off the HDR manually. I cant seem to find how to choose cinema then manually turn the HDR off. I went through all my setting screens and can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance
post #1913 of 2678 Old 03-09-2018, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncabw View Post
Sorry if this is basic question. I'm still new to all this home theater stuff. I have a JVC 570R(oppo 203 player FYI) which i had calibrated 2 weeks ago. The guy told me when i watch 4k movies that i choose HDR setting which it does automatically. For regular tv and blue rays to watch in the cinema setting. Now when i do this the HDR is still on as i can hear it on my JVC player and the picture seems 2 dark. If i go to natural setting(HDR shuts off) picture looks almost 2 bright but is better then watching the dark cinema setting.

When i went to the store i bought everything on his JVC he showed me the option of going to cinema and then you turn off the HDR manually. I cant seem to find how to choose cinema then manually turn the HDR off. I went through all my setting screens and can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance

Everything is working now. I talked to the guy who calibrated my projector and we figured it out. The HDR noise is a fan noise. And with my room the fan needs to be on because he had to have the lamp on high.

The other problem is I changed some settings on my oppo 203 and it was telling my projector that it was sending in a 4k signal when I had a regular Blue ray disk in. Changed it back and everything looks great.

post #1914 of 2678 Old 03-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

I now have everything set up and configured, including the Oppo. Last night we watched "Murder on the Orient Express" UHD disc. I must say that even after years of watching movies on projectors including JVCs, this just blew me away. It was jaw dropping, possibly the best PQ I have ever seen to date.

I am sure the 5xx/6xx is better, and I am sure the $30K Z is even better, but at this point I am hard pressed to imagine how. Simply stunning.
idyfohu, RUN-NE1 and retro124 like this.
post #1915 of 2678 Old 03-10-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
I now have everything set up and configured, including the Oppo. Last night we watched "Murder on the Orient Express" UHD disc. I must say that even after years of watching movies on projectors including JVCs, this just blew me away. It was jaw dropping, possibly the best PQ I have ever seen to date.

I am sure the 5xx/6xx is better, and I am sure the $30K Z is even better, but at this point I am hard pressed to imagine how. Simply stunning.
Awesome to hear Gravi...I saw the movie and theaters and had high expectations that weren't met, but glad to hear it looks good! We watched Shape of Water on UHD last night and visually it was stunning as well (the movie itself, meh).
post #1916 of 2678 Old 03-11-2018, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Trying to load JAVS V3 curves onto the projector. Can someone point in the direction of some simple instructions on how to connect the JVC to my desktop, I can't make head or tails of it. I've currently got the projector plugged into the router via LAN.
post #1917 of 2678 Old 03-11-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
A question about this projector and smoke in the room. The manual was clear to avoid Smoky environments. I don't know, but what came to mind was cigarette smoke and things like that.

But I have a very fancy popcorn machine in my game room. So now I am wondering if using the popcorn machine directly in the room, about 15 feet away from the projector, would be advisable. I have a spare room outside the game room and I have been Wheeling the popcorn machine into the spare room and popping there... Mainly because I was not sure if popping inside the room would be bad for the 420.

I thought the projector had sealed Optics so nothing can get into the lens mechanism. Anyway, just looking for a sanity check. Is it safe to popcorn in my game room?

-T
post #1918 of 2678 Old 03-13-2018, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just bought x570r

Hey guys I got a great deal on this projector and im trying to set it up. I bought the monoprice hdmi cable but my xbox one x claims my tv cant support hdr10 and can only display apps in 4k 8bit color not 10 bit. any idea what I can be doing wrong? this is the cable :
DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, CL2, 30ft, Black
post #1919 of 2678 Old 03-13-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarr View Post
Hey guys I got a great deal on this projector and im trying to set it up. I bought the monoprice hdmi cable but my xbox one x claims my tv cant support hdr10 and can only display apps in 4k 8bit color not 10 bit. any idea what I can be doing wrong? this is the cable :
DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, CL2, 30ft, Black
Yeah. Get a new cable. I went RuiPro 12 meter. 150 bucks.

Checkout the HDMI cable thread... I forget the sub-forum...

-T

Edit.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showth...834097?page=67

I copied link... Got to page 1
post #1920 of 2678 Old 03-13-2018, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Yeah. Get a new cable. I went RuiPro 12 meter. 150 bucks.

Checkout the HDMI cable thread... I forget the sub-forum...

-T

Edit.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showth...834097?page=67

I copied link... Got to page 1
Yep save yourself a lot of trouble and time and move straight to ruipro.

I replaced an active 15m with fine specs with a ruipro 15m and it works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page