Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3492Likes

post #2581 of 2731 Old 03-12-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1887
Well said @T-Bone. I bought what I thought was certified 4K from amazon for like $25, but then read the thread that you had linked, and all is good. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2731 Old 03-12-2019, 08:15 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3790 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by raminolta View Post
I recently got an rs420 and I am trying to connect my Oppo to it. I had already bought two HDMI cable off Amazon and Ebay both claiming support for HDMI 2.0, UHD and HDR; one is 25ft and the other one is 6ft. Unfortunately, the longer cable fails when I switch to UHD in the Oppo's menu. The screen turns black and the Oppo's homepage doesn't show up. When I switch to 1080p on Oppo, there is no problem in the connection between the player and the projector.

The6ft cable however is fine with both 1080p and UHD modes in the Oppo's set up.

This might suggest the 25ft cable is faulty or the claimed specifications is false about supporting UHD. However, when I use this long cable to connect the Oppo to my computer monitor which is also UHD in resolution, all seems fine and the Oppo's home page shows up. This suggest the problem might be more complicated than simply blaming the cable. Maybe, the JVC is just too picky for the specifications of the UHD signal it receives. In any case, I do need a long cable (at least 25ft) to connect my projector to the Oppo. Can people suggest long HDMI cables (brand, specs) that has worked for their JVC projector?

Thanks.

Well...so many on here set their sights on spending their issues away. While that serves some, and assuages their beliefs that money cures all woes, some of us who must dependably provide consistent results across many platforms have discovered that spending more isn't always the only answer....and often not even the right answer.

It always seemed strange that so many people would purchase supposedly "Certified HDMI" cords without ever seeing the Scan Tag shown below. The purchase solely based on the advertised specifications.

It is more of a case where knowing what to buy and from whom, and vetting such decisions through repeated examples that serves one in best stead. Sharing that info is what the Forum is all about.

All that said, for those looking for dependable results at the 25' range, here is the one "HDMI Certified" cord I have used many, many times (w/JVC), and so far without any issues whatsoever.
Full support for [email protected] UHD, HDR 10, RGB 4:4:4, and 18 Gbps bandwidth; Supports 4Kx2K (UHD) including 4096x2160,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XS6HYJW/

Cable Matters

Let's just say that it costs less than 2 tickets to the afternoon Matinee

OK...Fiber Optic Hybrids certainly pass muster......but unless your needing lengths beyond 25' spending $160.00+ is IMO wasteful.

Let me add that I don't make the suggested choice lightly.....and that after almost 2 years of recommending such, not a single Member has come back to relate a failure.

So judge accordingly, and choose wisely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable Matters HDMI.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2537850  

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #2583 of 2731 Old 03-12-2019, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I didn't know there were such hdmi fiber cables! They seem much more reliable than regular hdmi copper cables over long distances.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 2731 Old 03-12-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@ raminolta , depends on your budget. @MississippiMan has provided another solution, and at that price, might just worth the try, as returns to Amazon are rather simple, if needed.
post #2585 of 2731 Old 03-12-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@ raminolta , depends on your budget. @MississippiMan has provided another solution, and at that price, might just worth the try, as returns to Amazon are rather simple, if needed.

Yes, I have noted that as well. I am reading around that a hdmi fiber cable improves on picture quality over a regular copper one as well. Is that true?

post #2586 of 2731 Old 03-12-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I have noted that as well. I am reading around that a hdmi fiber cable improves on picture quality over a regular copper one as well. Is that true?
@raminolta, I cannot vouch for that, as I did not have luck with 4K HDMI cables. The 12M RUIPRO that I have has been flawless and have not had any issues since I got it. That is what has worked for me. I think
@ T-Bone may offer some advice as well on why he went that way. I just read that link that T-Bone gave in his quote, did a bit of reading, and then ordered what I did. I have no issues with either TV, or anything else from my receiver...Sony X800, ROKU Ultra, OPPO 203.
post #2587 of 2731 Old 03-13-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Quote:
@raminolta, I cannot vouch for that, as I did not have luck with 4K HDMI cables. The 12M RUIPRO that I have has been flawless and have not had any issues since I got it. That is what has worked for me. I think
@ T-Bone may offer some advice as well on why he went that way. I just read that link that T-Bone gave in his quote, did a bit of reading, and then ordered what I did. I have no issues with either TV, or anything else from my receiver...Sony X800, ROKU Ultra, OPPO 203.
Just to piggyback on @lizrussspike post with my experience.

After trying to get a decent cable for cheap, and I needed a 40-foot run, I tried this standard cable:

Silverback S6 4k HDMI Cable 40 ft - HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 and 3D Support, 4k @ 60hz 4:4:4, Deep Color, by Sewell https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCS0VWO..._c1zICbGCKNC0S

It worked for a while. And then it stopped working. At least it was under warranty.

the cable failed the test in that other thread I linked earlier, that checks all sorts of HDMI cable long runs for 4K. But I tried it anyway mainly because there was a YouTube video by the company that showed the cable working. The problem is that with a 40 foot cable, it's not guaranteed to work all the time.

Hindsight is always 20/20. But at least my non-fiber cable failed under warranty so no big deal.

If anyone needs any a cable length greater than 25 ft, I think at this point ya gotta but bullet and get yourself a good cable that you know was tested to pass 18 gigabits per second.
@lizrussspike and I are not the only two success stories here 🙂

No one wants to spend more than they have to. But with greater than 25 ft of cable, you have to spend the money.

As for fiber improving the picture over copper, I seriously doubt that. and even if it did because fiber attenuates the signal much less than copper, would it even be perceivable by anything other than test equipment?

But then again, this is the JVC rs420 owners thread. the projector is phenomenal in terms of brightness and color accuracy. Black levels and contrast are unbelievably great. So if you're not interested in 4k HDR and expanded color gamut, just run it at 1080P and save yourself some money on a cable... Although blue planet 2 and planet Earth 2 in 4K HDR looked unbelievable, even at 135" 16x9 🙂

-T
post #2588 of 2731 Old 03-13-2019, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
So is the noise with 4k eshift on anything to worry about? Looks like some units are louder then others.

Not sure if anyone has answered this or not, but I can only hear it if the room is completely silent and then listening for it while switching from off to on. Even then its barely noticeable. PJ is mounted directly above my head, about 5 feet from seated height.

I have seen some people complain about it on here though.
post #2589 of 2731 Old 03-13-2019, 08:16 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
check out this right here on avsforum. They physically test all of the cables.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...2834097?page=1

I tried some cables advertised as 18 gigabit per second and they will coaxial. They worked for a while and then stopped working. Got tired of that so I spent money on a 12 m ruipro cable.

Had a cable going on 1.5 years now haven't had an issue yet.

-T

Are you sure you sent me the right link? I went through the whole thread and while there was a brief mention Ruipro cables, I didn't find any information regarding hdmi cable testing. The thread is about madVR Player which his a software supporting HDR playback. Am I supposed to get something more out of that thread? I even went to madVR website and didn't find any article or note regarding hdmi cables.

post #2590 of 2731 Old 03-14-2019, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #2591 of 2731 Old 03-14-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
check out this right here on avsforum. They physically test all of the cables.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...2834097?page=1

I tried some cables advertised as 18 gigabit per second and they will coaxial. They worked for a while and then stopped working. Got tired of that so I spent money on a 12 m ruipro cable.

-T

Are you sure you sent me the right link? I went through the whole thread and while there was a brief mention Ruipro cables, I didn't find any information regarding hdmi cable testing. The thread is about madVR Player which his a software supporting HDR playback. Am I supposed to get something more out of that thread? I even went to madVR website and didn't find any article or note regarding hdmi cables.
[QUOTE=lizrussspike;57743574] @raminolta ,
Try this one:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...l#post52755273[/QUOTE ]

I blame avsforum. 🙂

The link in the post that I made clearly states madvr in the link address. But when I click the link that I posted, it brings me to the HDMI cable for him. Odd.

No worries though since @lizrussspike provided a link also.

OneNote though. When you open the HDMI cable link, go to the first post and open the attachment. The attachment has the testing results.

-T
lizrussspike likes this.
post #2592 of 2731 Old 03-14-2019, 09:13 AM

Great thanks for the link. In my research I have come across another solution. I am wondering what you think of a HDMI over Ethernet solution such as the following?

gofanco HDBaseT HDMI 2.0 Extender 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR Over CAT5e/CAT6-70m/230ft @1080p 40m/130ft UHD 4K/60Hz, Dual IR, RS-232, CEC, PoC, 18Gbps Bandwidth, HDCP 2.2 (HDbaseT-HDR)

Cost-wise, this solution not that more expensive than a quality cable.

Last edited by raminolta; 03-14-2019 at 09:18 AM.
post #2593 of 2731 Old 03-16-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6752 Post(s)
Liked: 6752
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Care to share where?

Im loving my rs420 btw. Watched christopher robin with my neice the other night and holy crap there were scenes that looked like they were from a TV.

Still have the 4k buzz noise but im not to worried about it. I have the capabilitys to play 4k movies so every once in a while I will (3 so far) but because of the cost of them, and I buy 95% used movies, its mostly just blurays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
If you could PM me with where these can be purchased, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Quote:
I just remembered there was a conversation about this earlier here on avsforum. In order to get a bulb that cheap it would not be in a housing.

And then it calls into question whether the bulb really is an original or a counterfeit.

Food for thought.

-T
I saw it as well, that is what I was talking about. There where guys saying from time to time they are listed on ebay for that price......
post #2594 of 2731 Old 03-17-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I saw it as well, that is what I was talking about. There where guys saying from time to time they are listed on ebay for that price......
OK, I found a thread in the classifieds where a very well-respected forum member is selling the bare lamps for around that price. They are said to be OEM bulbs, so I wouldn't be worried about them personally.

Not sure if it's OK to post a link, but it's in the front projector section.

Scott
noah katz likes this.

post #2595 of 2731 Old 03-17-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
OK, I found a thread in the classifieds where a very well-respected forum member is selling the bare lamps for around that price. They are said to be OEM bulbs, so I wouldn't be worried about them personally.

Not sure if it's OK to post a link, but it's in the front projector section.

Scott
Should be safe. He's a respected in longtime member. And has sold to other forum members.

I just sent him a PM for one 🙂 so thank you for that.

-T
post #2596 of 2731 Old 03-17-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Is there an obvious way to know if I should have the projector set to HDR or not? When I am watching some shows on Netflix, I sometimes am not sure if it is HDR or not, and figure there should be a simple way to definitively know. Thanks.

Home Theater: Marantz SR6012, Fronts: Paradigm Titans, Sides: Paradigm Atoms, Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-170, Sub: RBH I-12
post #2597 of 2731 Old 03-17-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 4989 Post(s)
Liked: 1909
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWRXPride View Post
Is there an obvious way to know if I should have the projector set to HDR or not? When I am watching some shows on Netflix, I sometimes am not sure if it is HDR or not, and figure there should be a simple way to definitively know. Thanks.
The projector should automatically switch to HDR mode when it detects HDR.

If you press the projector remote’s Info button it tells you what the input signal is.
post #2598 of 2731 Old 03-17-2019, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Will it switch back to non-HDR if the signal is such?

Home Theater: Marantz SR6012, Fronts: Paradigm Titans, Sides: Paradigm Atoms, Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-170, Sub: RBH I-12
post #2599 of 2731 Old 03-17-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mine does not switch out of HDR mode.

-T
post #2600 of 2731 Old 03-17-2019, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 4989 Post(s)
Liked: 1909
Quote:
Quote:

-T
When the input goes back to SDR, the projector switches back to the same Picture Mode it was previously in. Thus, for the automatic switching to work properly, you need to be in the SDR Picture Mode before feeding it the HDR source.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 03-17-2019 at 10:40 PM.
post #2601 of 2731 Old 03-17-2019, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Quote:
Quote:

-T
When the input goes back to SDR, the projector switched back to the same Picture Mode it was previously in. Thus, for the automatic switching to work properly, you need to be in the SDR Picture Mode before feeding it the HDR source.
Hmmmm... Thanks. Dunno why mine did not switch back. I will try again.

-T
post #2602 of 2731 Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Got tired of that so I spent money on a 12 m ruipro cable.

[-T
Exactly @T-Bone! 12 M Ruipro and have not looked back yet.[/QUOTE]

Looks like one of my Celerity HDMI connectors is gone. no longer see the blue active light and no picture from projector.
So looking to the Ruipro cables for a more direct connection. Seems they have so many listed on Amazon. just want to confirm this is the correct one. need a 40ft.
https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-Suppor...ll-spons&psc=1

https://www.ruipro.com/shop/ruipro-h...ber-cable-12m/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 11.25.05 AM.png
Views:	16
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	2542176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 9.26.16 AM.png
Views:	14
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	2542178  
post #2603 of 2731 Old 03-21-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
Quote:
Got tired of that so I spent money on a 12 m ruipro cable.

[-T
Exactly @T-Bone! 12 M Ruipro and have not looked back yet.
Looks like one of my Celerity HDMI connectors is gone. no longer see the blue active light and no picture from projector.
So looking to the Ruipro cables for a more direct connection. Seems they have so many listed on Amazon. just want to confirm this is the correct one. need a 40ft.

https://www.ruipro.com/shop/ruipro-h...ber-cable-12m/[/QUOTE]

I bought this one. 12m is 39.37 feet. 15 percent off with the Amazon coupon (they put it under price).

RUIPRO HDMI Fiber Cable 40 feet Light High Speed Support 18.2 Gbps 4K at 60Hz HDMI 2.0 Subsampling 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0 Slim and Flexible With Optic Technology 12mt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759CXK4H..._k96KCb6PM8Z9F

-T
post #2604 of 2731 Old 03-21-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I bought this one. 12m is 39.37 feet. 15 percent off with the Amazon coupon (they put it under price).

RUIPRO HDMI Fiber Cable 40 feet Light High Speed Support 18.2 Gbps 4K at 60Hz HDMI 2.0 Subsampling 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0 Slim and Flexible With Optic Technology 12mt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759CXK4H..._k96KCb6PM8Z9F

-T[/QUOTE]

thanks. is there a difference between the one I linked in this one? seems they both have coupon applied. the one I linked sees to be the same picture as the one on the Ruipro site
post #2605 of 2731 Old 03-21-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
Quote:

-T
thanks. is there a difference between the one I linked in this one? seems they both have coupon applied. the one I linked sees to be the same picture as the one on the Ruipro site[/QUOTE]

According to Amazon, they have different reference numbers. But I looked at the specs of both cables just now. they seem like it's the same cable in terms of capabilities.

Maybe check my reference in your reference to the root Ruby pro sight to see if maybe one cable was discontinued?

Either way, they both rated at 18 gigabits-per-second 4K 60p 4:4:4 at 8 bit...

-T
post #2606 of 2731 Old 03-21-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks. is there a difference between the one I linked in this one? seems they both have coupon applied. the one I linked sees to be the same picture as the one on the Ruipro site
According to Amazon, they have different reference numbers. But I looked at the specs of both cables just now. they seem like it's the same cable in terms of capabilities.

Maybe check my reference in your reference to the root Ruby pro sight to see if maybe one cable was discontinued?

Either way, they both rated at 18 gigabits-per-second 4K 60p 4:4:4 at 8 bit...

-T[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. thanks again for your help.
post #2607 of 2731 Old 03-21-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #2608 of 2731 Old 03-21-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Brilliant minds think alike. That's the same one I ordered. 🙂

-T
lizrussspike likes this.
post #2609 of 2731 Old 03-22-2019, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice @ T-Bone. Let us know what you think once installed.
post #2610 of 2731 Old 03-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I use this cable from Monoprice.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21510

Beamer: JVC RS420 || Screen: 120" SilverTicket 16:9 Frame || Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7 || Center: Paradigm Monitor CC390 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor Bookshelf || Atmos Rear: Polk || AVR: Denon AVR S710 || Streamer: Nvidia Shield ||Control: Harmony Hub Ultimate ||Console: Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page