Viewsonic LS820 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 90 Old 07-20-2017, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Aaahhhh, thank you for the clarification. Looks fantastic nonetheless. More picture references the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 Old 07-24-2017, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePerson View Post
I don't have the DNP screen. I have the ViewSonic BCP100 screen. I was just referencing the DNP screen. I imagine its fairly expensive though.
The screen is the DNP Supernova STW screen. Not just the material, it is the exact screen. I found a DNP video showing the unboxing and assembly. I bought the ViewSonic BCP120, and it's exactly the same, box and all. The only difference was that the DNP one said DNP on the shipping box and the bottom of the screen.

I have it now working with a PX800HD, and it looks great.
post #33 of 90 Old 07-25-2017, 01:04 PM

Really?! Man that sounds promising because I received a quote from a DNP Screens distributor and boy are they $$$$. More than double the price of the ViewSonic comparison in fact.

@Marcad80 Any available pictures to post for real-world comparison? Not finding too many in-home pictures showing real-world performance of this screen and proper UST projectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 90 Old 07-25-2017, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Yep, Google Video:

how to setup a bcp120

And

Dnp stw

You will find both installation videos, different people, exact same hardware.

I will post some pictures in a PX800HD thread
post #35 of 90 Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 PM

@Marcad80 Awesome! Looking forward to checking them out.

Anyone have any thoughts about Elite Screens Aeon CLR?
It's seems to use the same ambient light rejection method as Viewsonic's and the other mentioned screens for ultra short throw projectors. But looking at almost a few hundred dollars less.

At this point I think I'm pretty settled on getting the LS820, just very torn about getting the best screen to compliment it. Especially from an affordability aspect.
post #36 of 90 Old 07-28-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bone View Post
@Marcad80 Awesome! Looking forward to checking them out.

Anyone have any thoughts about Elite Screens Aeon CLR?
It's seems to use the same ambient light rejection method as Viewsonic's and the other mentioned screens for ultra short throw projectors. But looking at almost a few hundred dollars less.

At this point I think I'm pretty settled on getting the LS820, just very torn about getting the best screen to compliment it. Especially from an affordability aspect.
The thing that gets me shying away from the bcp120 is the 0.33 gain.

The thing that gets me shying away from the Elite Screens Aeon CLR is the 100" size limit (want 120").

The thing that gets me saying away from everyone else is their $4k + price tags.

So here I sit, on a fence.
post #37 of 90 Old 07-29-2017, 08:19 PM

Fairly intuitive assessment. I'm personally looking for only 100" screen due to cabinet space limitations and trying to offset the projector that distance from the screen.
post #38 of 90 Old 08-20-2017, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 46
No 24p support in 2D?

Greetings.The user manual lists only 24p support in 3D, but not in 2D.
Appreciate if anyon could clarify.

Many thanks and best regards,
post #39 of 90 Old 08-29-2017, 05:43 PM
fas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am almost finished with a 17x12 bonus room over my garage. Drywall just completed. Pre-wired for speakers. I want to go with the Viewsonic ls820. Will be on a long wall, so sitting 12 feet away. I also want the BCP 120. According to ProjectorCentral, I would have to sit the projector on a stand about 12" from the floor, with the back of the projector at about 30" from the wall. This is assuming the bottom of the screen to be 30" from floor. The center channel speaker would have to be on the floor, under the projector. The challenge I have is finding a nice stand with these proportions. Maybe low in the middle and a little higher at the sides for components?
1. Any suggestions? I have looked all over the web.
2. Also, are there any screens in the 130/133 diagonal that would work like the bcp120?
3. Any 4k UST's coming soon in the $3000 price range? I just read about an Optoma that will be $20k.

BTW, the room has no windows, so totally black if I want. I put quite a few can lights that will be dimmable, seems like I can use some low light with this set up, but I do not want to affect picture quality at all.

I would appreciate any info or suggestions as I should be ready for the projector in about 3 weeks (only because there are additional renovations on the first floor).
post #40 of 90 Old 08-30-2017, 07:19 PM

1) There are audio component stands that have adjustable shelving and look pretty nice that will fit what you are looking for; additionally, there should be nothing stopping you from using a wall bracket and mounting your center channel floating on wall arms designed for just that purpose just below your screen.

2a) Yes but they are rigid panels by Screen Innovations that start at around $6,000. Based on your comments I assume you are like me and find that you are unlikely to get $5,000 more enjoyment vs. a 120" screen.
2b) If you have full light control in your room... why do you need an ambient light rejecting screen in the first place? Just get a normal (but decent quality) screen in the size you want for a relatively low price and call it a day.
2c) From 12' away... 120" is a near the limit of what is recommended by sites like projector central, bigger than this may be too much and actually be annoying on some content if you physically have to look around the screen to see what is happening.

3) Don't hold your breath on full featured 4k UST's at mainstream pricing in the near future. Even the Optoma units (while nice) are not "true" 4k AND don't have 3D capabilities.

5 years down the road, with luck, there will be decent priced true 4k laser UST units with 3D and great lumens.
post #41 of 90 Old 08-30-2017, 09:56 PM
fas

Thanks solmyre. I think that 120 will be perfect for me at 12 feet, and the BCP120 at 1600/1700 dollars is probably a deal compared to most ALR screens. I don't mind spending that if it truly gives a better picture than a regular screen, even in a completely dark room. Like I said, its a bonus room above my garage (steps from the kitchen) with no window. Are you saying that in a totally dark room, a regular screen is as good as the BCP120? The rep from ProjectoPeople told me to image looking at the screen microscopically, and it is designed like louvers. The underside of the louver catches the upshooting image and reflects that light only. Viewsonic claims it looks like a LED tv, even with some lights on. If it is that good (bright) than I would buy the screen, unless a regular screen in just as good in a dark room. What are you're thoughts on this?

MoviePerson, you have the ls820 and the BCP100, any thoughts on a regular screen in complete dark in comparison?
post #42 of 90 Old 08-31-2017, 02:36 PM

A "normal" screen will have a gain of 1 (meaning it reflects light equivalent to a white painted wall; higher gain = more light reflected; lower gain = less light reflected).

Most ultra short throw (UST) screens with their amazing ambient light rejection (ALR) have a gain around 0.6 making them inherently "high contrast" screens which is a fancy way of saying they reflect less light and thus make blacks look blacker...the trade off is if you don't have enough lumens your whites will looks a touch dim. It seems the LS820 was designed to be paired with these lower gain UST screens and based on reviews looks a little over bright on a "normal" (gain 1) screen. Having said that, the LS820 can be set to dimmer settings and be peachy by most people's standards.

Alternately, with your light controlled setup you may want to get a simple (non ALR) "high contrast" screen which has a lower gain (around 0.6 to 0.8 is pretty common). It will give a similar color and brightness profile to the UST ALR screens but (obviously) lack the ALR features of the UST screens.

The BCP100 and 120 have a gain of 0.35... which is REALLY low. They have an ALR rating of over 90% however, obviously in pictures and tradeshow videos you can see of the LS820 in action with the BCP100 it works out peachy and has enough lumens to punch past that super low gain, so it gives you an idea how over bright it would be on standard settings on a normal screen with gain of 1. But it does leave me a little nervous that it will still have enough lumens at 120" on the BCP120. I'll be getting one in shortly and can comment directly about it at that point.

Long story short:
* with no ambient light, an ultra short throw (UST) screen vs. a "normal" "high contrast" screen with a lower gain (around 0.6) are going to look VERY similar, but you can probably get away with a higher gain and still get a great picture while using lower lumen settings on your LS820; presumably saving more laser life span. Also, non ambient light rejecting (ALR) screens are relatively inexpensive (just make sure that it is PERFECTLY flat, any ripples/waves/etc. will be VERY obvious when using a UST projector).

* with ambient light (with the lights on), an UST ALR screen will reject most of it allowing you to continue using the projector with the lights on. The BCP100 and 120 in particular (along with crazy expensive flavors from Screen Innovations and Pro Display, and the cheaper but size limited elite screens CLR) work exactly as was described to you, reflecting to you mostly the light coming up at the screen from the very sharp angle that the projector is using. Thus, sunlight, overhead lighting, etc. is severely negated. If you have floor lighting or a highly reflective or bright floor material near your projector; that light will still partially wash out your image. For most situations that is a trivial matter.

Important to know: if you are getting the LS820 and BCP120 at the same time, work with view sonic directly to bundle them and get a discounted price vs. ordering online etc.

Even shorter version: if you don't care about using your projector with the lights on, get a normal screen with a gain around 0.8 that is perfectly flat(no wrinkles, ripples, etc.) use the lower lumen modes on your projector and call it a day. If you care about using your projector with the lights on... it's pretty hard to beat the BCP120 without breaking your wallet to smithereens.

Hope that helps.
post #43 of 90 Old 08-31-2017, 10:16 PM
fas

Thanks again, solmyre. It was a very detailed and understandable explanation. The drywall finish work was done today. The remodel on my entire house should be done in about 3 or 4 weeks. At that time I would like to get the projector and screen. I'm leaning toward the ls820 and bcp120. If you get your set up in the mean time, please post your experience. My first choice was the new Optoma 65 dlp 4k, but the wall across from the screen is a knee wall, about 6 feet high, angling about 40 inches to 8 feet. I'd have to hang the projector about 8 or 9 feet from screen, so I could go very big. Hence my interest in UST. Thanks again.
post #44 of 90 Old 08-31-2017, 10:18 PM
fas

I meant I could NOT go very big.
post #45 of 90 Old 09-04-2017, 02:27 AM

I should have both in next week, probably won't get a chance to set them up until another week out past that. I'll post information for you here and give my take on it once I have it running.

I sympathize. The UST models make life easy in regard to "how am I going to optimally position my projector". For me the lack of 3D on the budget 4k units is a deal breaker as well.

In your situation it is worth noting the step in between are regular "short throw" projectors with a throw typically around 0.45 to 0.65 would probably work peachy for you as well mounted from the ceiling. There are not ALR screens designed to go with a short throw projector, but where you have a light controlled room that's not really a deal breaker.

Not trying to throw doubt or disarray at your plans, just saying you have a quite a few acceptable approaches as there are many more models of short throw available (vs. ultra short throw). For example if you wanted a cheap but well reviewed setup for the price you could get the Optoma GT1080Darbee with a SilverTicket screen to get you by 3-4 years until 4k units are reasonably priced. You could grab both from Amazon for less than $1.2k landed.

I've got a cathedral living room with an 18' width; from that far away a 65" screen is tiny, even a 75" isn't going to do much for you. Given the ceiling is 2 stories up, there is no where practical to mount a projector unless I get a very expensive one with horizontal mounting and excellent lens shifting; which makes for a rather expensive unit. The next issue is a very non controlled light situation. Normal ALR screens reject any off-center light so that they mostly reflect light coming dead on at the screen, it works reasonably well but kills your viewing angle and usually causes hot spotting (hurts your light uniformity).

Frankly, if the UST units and UST ALR screens didin't exist, I'd have to relocate things to the basement. I really like the idea of having this setup in the living room, big open and cheery. We'll see how it all shakes out soon enough.
post #46 of 90 Old 09-04-2017, 09:40 PM
fas

Quote:
Originally Posted by solmyre View Post
I should have both in next week, probably won't get a chance to set them up until another week out past that. I'll post information for you here and give my take on it once I have it running.

I sympathize. The UST models make life easy in regard to "how am I going to optimally position my projector". For me the lack of 3D on the budget 4k units is a deal breaker as well.

In your situation it is worth noting the step in between are regular "short throw" projectors with a throw typically around 0.45 to 0.65 would probably work peachy for you as well mounted from the ceiling. There are not ALR screens designed to go with a short throw projector, but where you have a light controlled room that's not really a deal breaker.

Not trying to throw doubt or disarray at your plans, just saying you have a quite a few acceptable approaches as there are many more models of short throw available (vs. ultra short throw). For example if you wanted a cheap but well reviewed setup for the price you could get the Optoma GT1080Darbee with a SilverTicket screen to get you by 3-4 years until 4k units are reasonably priced. You could grab both from Amazon for less than $1.2k landed.

I've got a cathedral living room with an 18' width; from that far away a 65" screen is tiny, even a 75" isn't going to do much for you. Given the ceiling is 2 stories up, there is no where practical to mount a projector unless I get a very expensive one with horizontal mounting and excellent lens shifting; which makes for a rather expensive unit. The next issue is a very non controlled light situation. Normal ALR screens reject any off-center light so that they mostly reflect light coming dead on at the screen, it works reasonably well but kills your viewing angle and usually causes hot spotting (hurts your light uniformity).

Frankly, if the UST units and UST ALR screens didin't exist, I'd have to relocate things to the basement. I really like the idea of having this setup in the living room, big open and cheery. We'll see how it all shakes out soon enough.
Thank you. Can't wait to see how you make out.
post #47 of 90 Old 09-10-2017, 04:00 AM

LS820 and BCP 100

Having recently purchased the LS820/BCP100 combination partly based on this review I would like to make a couple comments that I feel should be made. First, the picture is OK both with- and without ambient. Absolutely recommend an ALR screen designed for UST projectors. There are however two issues which I dont think have been mentioned in online reviews. The first is rainbows. This is by far the worst projector in terms of DLP rainbows I have ever seen. Second issue is noise. This projector is subjectively very noisy, I measured 41 DB 1 meter infront of the projector and the noise profile is very obtrusive.
post #48 of 90 Old 09-14-2017, 06:59 PM

Have system setup, been using it a bit. Been swamped at work getting new reactors online and dealing with a software glitch causing one of the control loops to go wonky. Probably won't have a chance to add pictures until much later but for now my summary:

The BCP120 works pretty well, it's great in weak ambient light and lower and quite good dealing with light in the room. Bright sunlight coming in from outside (not hitting the screen directly but coming into the room and hitting the floor near it washes the image notably, not enough to make it unusable but definitely turns the blacks into moderate to light greys. This may be due to having a very light (near white carpet) which makes the floor surrounding the LS820 bright white from the sun (transmitting light at an angle that the screen will reflect. At some point I will get a dark brown or black rug/mat to put on the floor around the LS820 and screen and see if this has a notable impact to confirm my suspicions.

When sunlight is directly on the screen in the early mornings it is practically unusable.

So on the whole for about 2hrs of the day the screen in unusable, for about 3hrs of the day it is significantly washed out, and the rest of the day it ranges from not terrible to fantastic.

To be fair, the glare off the previous LCD flat panel during those 2hrs made it effectively unusable as well so it is not really fair to expect better from the BCP120. However the 3 hrs that sunlight is streaming to the floor around the LS820 the picture is pretty bad, usable for TV shows and gaming that doesn't have a lot of dark moments where details would be lost, but your average movie buff would be ripping their hair out with frustration.

When it's not dealing with the sun it is much better. I suspect a 100" screen on the BCP100 would handle ambient light better and I am considering mounting a ball bearing track on my stand to slide the projector between 120" and closer to around 100" or lower to concentrate the lumens during very high ambient light. However I'll try the darker floor near the screen/projector first.

At low ambient light and darkness the 120" screen pairs very well, the details is crisp, the colors on standard mode are excellent and the blacks leave little to complain about.

Noise:
When operating on "standard" or lower lumen settings it is pretty quiet for me, and sitting 17' away I don't really notice it. If you crank the settings to the brighter modes the fan kicks on louder, however the loss of contrast in the brighter modes typically isn't worth it so we tend to just leave it on the default standard setting 24/7. 3D mode is a different story however...

3D:
First and foremost, 3D on this in low ambient light to dark is simply excellent. Pacific Rim was my test platform as it has VERY high contrasting scenes with shocks of bright in mostly dark backgrounds and a lot of details with fast action. It performed very well. However, during quiet moments you can hear a notable whine from the projector, weather this is the fan or the color wheel spooling up to 144hz or the fan going into overdrive I do not know. But it is very noticeable and if you are watching a quieter movie could be very annoying. Watching giant monsters and robots beat the crap out of each other on a 120" screen in excellent rendered 3D no one seemed to notice nor care.

Misc.
The viewing angle is simply amazing, my wife will sometimes passively watch what the kids are watching from a room 30' away at an angle 150 degrees off center with no issues. Brightness uniformity seems quite good, focus is crystal clear on the entire screen. The screen itself looks very nice on the wall though it almost imperceptibly bows just slightly (causing the image to curve a few milimeters high in the middle, something the projector options easily rectify and doesn't seem to diminish the image quality, even standing a foot from the screen).

All in all the family is extremely happy with this pairing (LS820+BCP120) it allowed us to move the couches all the way back and reclaim our big open living room. I was hoping for better ambient light rejection though I am not sure if the problem is largely due to having a very bright carpet with sunlight streaming onto it and on the whole the system is still quite usable most of the day and great all night long, even with lights on in all the nearby rooms and still pretty good even in the living room itself where the screen is located.

I'll add pictures when I get a chance showing the different scenarios etc. though the barrel distortion on my phone camera is considerable it should give a pretty good idea regardless.
post #49 of 90 Old 09-19-2017, 10:05 PM
fas

My theater room is a few days away from completion. Correction, the construction part, painting almost done. This coming Monday, 9/25, carpet to be installed. Then it will be ready for equipment. I have the receiver, speakers, blu-ray, popcorn hour, etc. and can install.

Solmyre, any suggestion for a tv stand. I need something low for the ls820, about a foot off the floor. Then I'll order the projector and screen. Looking for a theater sofa too, which I think I found locally. I'm concerned about the stand because my understanding is that you manually pull the projector back and forth and up and down to fill the screen. Am I wrong? Is there any adjustment at all in the projector, such as the lens, or adjustable feet? If not then the projector placement has to be really precise. Or, do you move the screen up and down?
Thanks
post #50 of 90 Old 09-24-2017, 10:53 AM

Yes, you can get the an amplifier stand with carpet spikes so that it doesn't shift on you after you get everything aligned perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is the one I used specifically. Its a good size and once you set the spike holds its position, plus all 4 spikes can be adjusted in height allowing you to really dial in the projector to be perfectly level etc.

I'm wrapping up the reactor optimizations but then have to catch a flight with the family to my brother's wedding so I'll be out of touch for a bit. When I get back I'll see about cleaning up cables and posting some pictures. Family has really enjoyed it so far.
post #51 of 90 Old 09-24-2017, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippermanden View Post
Having recently purchased the LS820/BCP100 combination partly based on this review I would like to make a couple comments that I feel should be made. First, the picture is OK both with- and without ambient. Absolutely recommend an ALR screen designed for UST projectors. There are however two issues which I dont think have been mentioned in online reviews. The first is rainbows. This is by far the worst projector in terms of DLP rainbows I have ever seen. Second issue is noise. This projector is subjectively very noisy, I measured 41 DB 1 meter infront of the projector and the noise profile is very obtrusive.
I'm very new to projectors, but I thought the rainbow effect could only be experienced with DLP projectors? Isn't the LS820 a laser projector, in which case it wouldn't produce this effect?
post #52 of 90 Old 09-25-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwa View Post
I'm very new to projectors, but I thought the rainbow effect could only be experienced with DLP projectors? Isn't the LS820 a laser projector, in which case it wouldn't produce this effect?
The LS820 is a DLP projector with a laser light engine. I have not suffered from rainbows with any of my previous DLP projectors.
post #53 of 90 Old 09-25-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:

Noise:
When operating on "standard" or lower lumen settings it is pretty quiet for me, and sitting 17' away I don't really notice it. If you crank the settings to the brighter modes the fan kicks on louder, however the loss of contrast in the brighter modes typically isn't worth it so we tend to just leave it on the default standard setting 24/7. 3D mode is a different story however...
You would not by any chance have access to a SPL meter and be so kind as to post results from 1 meter distance? I am curious if I might have a defective unit.
post #54 of 90 Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Have system setup, been using it a bit. Been swamped at work getting new reactors online and dealing with a software glitch causing one of the control loops to go wonky. Probably won't have a chance to add pictures until much later but for now my summary:

The BCP120 works pretty well, it's great in weak ambient light and lower and quite good dealing with light in the room. Bright sunlight coming in from outside (not hitting the screen directly but coming into the room and hitting the floor near it washes the image notably, not enough to make it unusable but definitely turns the blacks into moderate to light greys. This may be due to having a very light (near white carpet) which makes the floor surrounding the LS820 bright white from the sun (transmitting light at an angle that the screen will reflect. At some point I will get a dark brown or black rug/mat to put on the floor around the LS820 and screen and see if this has a notable impact to confirm my suspicions.

When sunlight is directly on the screen in the early mornings it is practically unusable.

So on the whole for about 2hrs of the day the screen in unusable, for about 3hrs of the day it is significantly washed out, and the rest of the day it ranges from not terrible to fantastic.

To be fair, the glare off the previous LCD flat panel during those 2hrs made it effectively unusable as well so it is not really fair to expect better from the BCP120. However the 3 hrs that sunlight is streaming to the floor around the LS820 the picture is pretty bad, usable for TV shows and gaming that doesn't have a lot of dark moments where details would be lost, but your average movie buff would be ripping their hair out with frustration.

When it's not dealing with the sun it is much better. I suspect a 100" screen on the BCP100 would handle ambient light better and I am considering mounting a ball bearing track on my stand to slide the projector between 120" and closer to around 100" or lower to concentrate the lumens during very high ambient light. However I'll try the darker floor near the screen/projector first.

At low ambient light and darkness the 120" screen pairs very well, the details is crisp, the colors on standard mode are excellent and the blacks leave little to complain about.

Noise:

3D:
First and foremost, 3D on this in low ambient light to dark is simply excellent. Pacific Rim was my test platform as it has VERY high contrasting scenes with shocks of bright in mostly dark backgrounds and a lot of details with fast action. It performed very well. However, during quiet moments you can hear a notable whine from the projector, weather this is the fan or the color wheel spooling up to 144hz or the fan going into overdrive I do not know. But it is very noticeable and if you are watching a quieter movie could be very annoying. Watching giant monsters and robots beat the crap out of each other on a 120" screen in excellent rendered 3D no one seemed to notice nor care.

Misc.
The viewing angle is simply amazing, my wife will sometimes passively watch what the kids are watching from a room 30' away at an angle 150 degrees off center with no issues. Brightness uniformity seems quite good, focus is crystal clear on the entire screen. The screen itself looks very nice on the wall though it almost imperceptibly bows just slightly (causing the image to curve a few milimeters high in the middle, something the projector options easily rectify and doesn't seem to diminish the image quality, even standing a foot from the screen).

All in all the family is extremely happy with this pairing (LS820+BCP120) it allowed us to move the couches all the way back and reclaim our big open living room. I was hoping for better ambient light rejection though I am not sure if the problem is largely due to having a very bright carpet with sunlight streaming onto it and on the whole the system is still quite usable most of the day and great all night long, even with lights on in all the nearby rooms and still pretty good even in the living room itself where the screen is located.

I'll add pictures when I get a chance showing the different scenarios etc. though the barrel distortion on my phone camera is considerable it should give a pretty good idea regardless.
@solmyre Does the UST screen make any difference in a dark room? i.e. with no ambient light?
post #55 of 90 Old 10-02-2017, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fas View Post
Thanks solmyre. I think that 120 will be perfect for me at 12 feet, and the BCP120 at 1600/1700 dollars is probably a deal compared to most ALR screens. I don't mind spending that if it truly gives a better picture than a regular screen, even in a completely dark room. Like I said, its a bonus room above my garage (steps from the kitchen) with no window. Are you saying that in a totally dark room, a regular screen is as good as the BCP120? The rep from ProjectoPeople told me to image looking at the screen microscopically, and it is designed like louvers. The underside of the louver catches the upshooting image and reflects that light only. Viewsonic claims it looks like a LED tv, even with some lights on. If it is that good (bright) than I would buy the screen, unless a regular screen in just as good in a dark room. What are you're thoughts on this?

MoviePerson, you have the ls820 and the BCP100, any thoughts on a regular screen in complete dark in comparison?
I haven't tried it with a regular screen but projected directly on sheetrock it was not acceptable. I think if your going to get this projector then you should get an UST screen.
post #56 of 90 Old 10-02-2017, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You would not by any chance have access to a SPL meter and be so kind as to post results from 1 meter distance? I am curious if I might have a defective unit.
I will measure mine today, I have never noticed the sound as being distracting. I did notice it getting louder after being on for 8+ hours, I cleaned the filter and it never has happened again.

Last edited by MoviePerson; 10-02-2017 at 07:57 AM.
post #57 of 90 Old 10-02-2017, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachGucces View Post
@solmyre Does the UST screen make any difference in a dark room? i.e. with no ambient light?
When my room is completely dark the UST screen does perform well. Compared to completely dark and projected on sheetrock which is not great at all.
post #58 of 90 Old 10-02-2017, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The LS820 is a DLP projector with a laser light engine. I have not suffered from rainbows with any of my previous DLP projectors.
I have had other DLP projectors before and never had issues with rainbow effect. With this projector I see it occasionally, mostly with white on black screens such as subtitles in the black bars during a movie or when going through menus in video games. No one else ever seems to notice. Its also worse if I move my head around trying to spot it.
post #59 of 90 Old 10-02-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Been AFK for a while if anyone wants some more photos, or some kind of tests let me know.
post #60 of 90 Old 10-02-2017, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas View Post
My theater room is a few days away from completion. Correction, the construction part, painting almost done. This coming Monday, 9/25, carpet to be installed. Then it will be ready for equipment. I have the receiver, speakers, blu-ray, popcorn hour, etc. and can install.

Solmyre, any suggestion for a tv stand. I need something low for the ls820, about a foot off the floor. Then I'll order the projector and screen. Looking for a theater sofa too, which I think I found locally. I'm concerned about the stand because my understanding is that you manually pull the projector back and forth and up and down to fill the screen. Am I wrong? Is there any adjustment at all in the projector, such as the lens, or adjustable feet? If not then the projector placement has to be really precise. Or, do you move the screen up and down?
Thanks
i had a lot of trouble finding a stand for this projector, nothing had enough depth. I almost bought these Ikea SEKTION and put some legs on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page