• 1 Post By hmunster2

post #1 of 9 Old 04-25-2017, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Color Space Output setting

Hello, just read something that made me realize that I have no idea if I am getting the best picture from my Epson 6030 pj. The signal is coming from a Sony Blu Ray BDP-5200, which is passing through a Yamaha RX-A830 receiver with no video adjustments. Does anybody know what the output setting on the Sony player should be, so that there is the least amount of up or down-scaling in the Epson? I currently have it set to RGB.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-25-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Hello, just read something that made me realize that I have no idea if I am getting the best picture from my Epson 6030 pj. The signal is coming from a Sony Blu Ray BDP-5200, which is passing through a Yamaha RX-A830 receiver with no video adjustments. Does anybody know what the output setting on the Sony player should be, so that there is the least amount of up or down-scaling in the Epson? I currently have it set to RGB.
Thanks
If you're not getting any colour banding or posterization, then things are correctly set.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-25-2017, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
If you're not getting any colour banding or posterization, then things are correctly set.
Jeff, that doesn't mean that I am getting the best pq, which is what I am looking for. I mis-typed in my op, I meant the least amount of up or down converting, from say 4:2:0 to 4:2:2, etc.
I need to find out what color spacing is best for the Epson pj.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-25-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Jeff, that doesn't mean that I am getting the best pq, which is what I am looking for. I mis-typed in my op, I meant the least amount of up or down converting, from say 4:2:0 to 4:2:2, etc.
I need to find out what color spacing is best for the Epson pj.
Thanks
You're making this more complicated this it has to be.
Yours is a 1080p projector, so the best things that you can expect from it is 8bit colour _ that is what's used on a standard Blu-ray.
RGB will give you your best blacks with out crushing and good bright areas.
You can experiment around with the other Chroma formats eg 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 or what's made available to you in the players menu, but I think you'll find that RGB is best.
4:2:0 will very often give you too deep of blacks for example.

There are video processors that can upscale the chroma, but it's so subtle that you have to do side x side comparison to see the difference.
A Blu-ray player isn't meant to upscale and give you better chroma, what you want to do is match what the disc is authored in and in most cases, that's RGB.

There is allot more to it then that, and someone else can chime in here if they want, but you may find that reading all about it will give quite a headache.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/d...0-for-noobs/p1

Last edited by JeffR1; 04-25-2017 at 02:03 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-25-2017, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723

Blurays are mastered in YCbCr 4:2:0 8 bit, not RGB. Using RGB output from your player can result in multiple conversions. Once from YCbCr on the disc to the RGB output of the player, over the HDMI cable to the display's input, then many displays convert an RGB input signal to YCbCr for processing on their input, and then convert it back again to RGB for its display panel.

If you keep it YCbCr from the player it should stay that way throughout the chain until the final step where it's converted to RGBHV to drive whatever the display's panel tech happens to be (LCD, DLP, LCoS, DiLA, etc.)

Plus, YCbCr has lower bandwidth than RGBHV, which is a main reason why it was developed in the first place, so you can have and use lower bandwidth cables too and the input stage of your display can have lower bandwidth requirements as well this way.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-25-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I knew some body would come along and correct me, thanks.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-26-2017, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Blurays are mastered in YCbCr 4:2:0 8 bit, not RGB. Using RGB output from your player can result in multiple conversions. Once from YCbCr on the disc to the RGB output of the player, over the HDMI cable to the display's input, then many displays convert an RGB input signal to YCbCr for processing on their input, and then convert it back again to RGB for its display panel.

If you keep it YCbCr from the player it should stay that way throughout the chain until the final step where it's converted to RGBHV to drive whatever the display's panel tech happens to be (LCD, DLP, LCoS, DiLA, etc.)

Plus, YCbCr has lower bandwidth than RGBHV, which is a main reason why it was developed in the first place, so you can have and use lower bandwidth cables too and the input stage of your display can have lower bandwidth requirements as well this way.
Dave, so should I leave the Sony output in Auto or 4:4:4, 4:2:2, or 4:2:0?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-26-2017, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723

I would leave it in Auto and then it will negotiate the best signal via the Epson's EDID. You can't really tell without testing each one with the proper patterns though, to see whether the Sony player or the Epson projector does a better job on the conversions.

If your Epson is like the 5040, then it processes at 4:2:2, so that could be best to send from the Sony to avoid too many unnecessary conversions. Check the 6030 manual.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-27-2017, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I would leave it in Auto and then it will negotiate the best signal via the Epson's EDID. You can't really tell without testing each one with the proper patterns though, to see whether the Sony player or the Epson projector does a better job on the conversions.

If your Epson is like the 5040, then it processes at 4:2:2, so that could be best to send from the Sony to avoid too many unnecessary conversions. Check the 6030 manual.
Dave, thanks. I couldn't find any mention in the manual, so I called Epson and got connected with Advanced tech dept. They said it didn't matter because the color space setting would not come into play unless dealing with a 4k pj and said to set it in auto and the pj would pick the appropriate setting. Sort of discussed the part about it being only of significance with ultra hd, but that is their line on it.
So, I will change from current rgb to auto and see if I notice any change.
Thanks again.
Dave Harper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page