Sony VPL-VW885ES / VPL-VW760ES laser projector announced - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1490Likes

post #811 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Kris owns an RS4500. Kris reviewed a Sony VW665. What size and aspect ratio screen? What fabric in your screen? What throw distance? What is your room like?
I bought my current JVC 4910 from you a few years back and I am hopeful that Sony will release a 4k unit with lens shift for about $8,000. I would like your opinion on whether 4k in my theater would make a significant difference. I am currently sitting 13' from a 10' wide 2.40:1 Seymour XD screen. I used to have the Stewart Filmscreen Studiotek 100 material before I went to a baffle wall and that screen did give a sharper image (it was about a foot less wide though) than the XD material.

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If we lose Ekki over the perennial defensiveness of JVC above the other brands we're going to be at a big loss in this forum.
post #813 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post
It used to be the same in german forums, but that changed during the last year, fortunately.
What do you think the main cause of that change is? Is it mostly JVC doing things wrong, other manufacturers doing things right, or something else?

I've wondered how much price has to do with this. People tend to give products more leeway when they are lower priced and for the middle of their lineups at least Sony and JVC have had very different price ratios between Europe and the United States.

I don't have Facebook and I don't speak any German, but I will try to check out your forum later.

Thanks,
Darin
Cine4Home likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Incidentally, I attended demos of the Sony VW760 today and it looks superb
Superb sound well superb Can you expand on what you saw?
post #815 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2797 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
But in German there is a saying "Du hast Recht und ich meine Ruhe", so if you guys want to keep defending the Z1 as state of the art (despite the hard facts) for whatever reason, be it. This will be the last thing I contribute to this topic

Regards,
Ekki[/QUOTE]

The last thing you contribute to this topic is exactly what they want to hear , mission accomplished. You are a valuable resource and people from all over the planet
appreciate your honesty , dedication and impartiality . Shameful this has to happen .

I've seen many here quote your reviews when it supports their own agenda , funny how it turns when there is a little bit of positive news about Sony .
Mikenificent1 likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .

Last edited by roxiedog13; 09-01-2017 at 05:03 PM.
post #816 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In regards to bias if a JVC rep at a Trade show show casing their new Projector range and whom you would think would be biased can say this about their competitors product-

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post54726718

it's pretty impressive. Wonder what a Sony rep would say if the roles were reversed though

Anyway looking forward to more impression on the Sony 760ES and more importantly what it will retail here in Australia for? JAVS any idea from your Sony rep?
post #817 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 492 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked: 6637
Sony VW1100 replacement to be unveiled at IFA 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
In regards to bias if a JVC rep at a Trade show show casing their new Projector range and whom you would think would be biased can say this about their competitors product-

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post54726718

it's pretty impressive. Wonder what a Sony rep would say if the roles were reversed though

Anyway looking forward to more impression on the Sony 760ES and more importantly what it will retail here in Australia for? JAVS any idea from your Sony rep?
Its Saturday

Im sure they are home relaxing on the weekend.

Will suss it out in Wed when I get home from OS.

I personally think it will be sub 20k here since our prices usually line up very well against Euro pricing.

If this projector had of come with the 1100ES lens or the one that is 'new' in this projector can be proven to be as good, and if the machine had a P3 filter or at least an attempt to hit DCI spec properly I would be seriously considering buying it.

I hope the panel in this projector treats patterns and high density pixels in the same fashion as the 5000 and not like the 675 does with its haywire freakout and moire etc.

Im honestly not worried about degradation in this country any more, our consumer laws are pretty tough here so there is a good foundation for solutions if something happens.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 09-01-2017 at 05:22 PM.
post #818 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
Quote:
You completely fail to know that it is Cine4Home which helped uncovering the SXRD-degradation in public like no other platform. Long before it was even known on AVS Forum (you guys kept ignoring this problem for a loooong time, so long actually, that in Germany many people were already wondering if you guys do no reasearch at all in the US).

And actually we are the only ones covering it regarding the HW45/65 and VW520 as well. And we are covering the drifting of the JVC X machines, which becomes more and more of a problem here in Germany also.

So accusing me of bias is just ridiculous. The VW5000 definately has its flaws and we do discuss them often here in Germany (some have major convergence issues for example and we do keep a VW5000 under observation here for possible degradation) but if you compare the Z1 and the VW5000 on a big screen at the same time (which I did dozen times this year) , the Z1 has simply no chance. And every single objective measurement proves it as well. I know that critizising JVC in public forums always leads to useless fights which I predicted yesterday to happen here as well which is why I said I do not plan to start such a discussion.

Most journalists / dealers are obviously not brave enough to talk about major flaws of the brands they depend on, I am fortunately independant enough to do so about JVC and(!) Sony. This might sound arrogant to some, but it simply is the truth. Every(!) single day we get complaints from dealers and manufacturors which get not along with the fact, that we do not "obey" like other journalists. But we simply do not compromise, not for money, not for sympathy, period. We just tell how it is and we can prove it at any time, so we are never afraid of legal consequences.

But in German there is a saying "Du hast Recht und ich meine Ruhe", so if you guys want to keep defending the Z1 as state of the art (despite the hard facts) for whatever reason, be it. This will be the last thing I contribute to this topic

Regards,
Ekki
I'm fully aware about your contributions around SXRD panel degradation. It just seems by the way you phrase things you have a bias against JVC and one towards Sony. I've highlighted some of those reasons in my previous post. I say them not because I'm brand loyal, but because these are the very reasons I could never own a Sony 4K SXRD projector. Fix these issues and I would gladly make the switch. Both the 1100ES and 665ES I had here were phenomenal projectors but I just could not get past the problems mentioned previously. Fix the problems and I'll ditch eshift immediately. To me they are totally unacceptable to have on such expensive projectors. You seem to be okay at laying fault with a first generation projector from JVC while at the same time not mentioning many of the faults Sony has had with it's 4K line up since 2012. None of the major gripes with the VW1000ES have been fully resolved and yet I don't see you mention these problems. Can you see where some of us might think you have a bias? I respect your opinion and value the objective work you do with your reviews, but you have to see where I'm coming from with my previous post. As Kris Deering points out, the 5000ES is no more than an 1100ES with a laser light source strapped onto the back of it. As he points out, how is this worth an extra $30000? Yes, it is very bright, but that's essentially the only thing it has in raw picture quality that the 1000ES platform lacked. Nothing but brightness performance has increased. Is that really worth an extra $30000? It has the same lens, similar video processing, same I/O, same 4K SXRD panels and a hit in contrast performance. Why is the 5000ES a justifiable purchase at the asking price when only brightness has been improved over the 1100ES? Why are you so critical on JVC for charging $35000 when Sony is charging almost double for a boost in brightness from a longer lasting light source? At least in JVCs defense, almost everything about this projector is brand new. A new lens, new DiLA panel, new video processing, new chassis, new light source, new cooling solution, new mode of dynamic contrast, ect. It should be fair to say there will be some quirks with a product like this as it's not a mature and developed projector line. Sony has been at this for five years now and none of the major faults with that platform have been resolved. Do you acknowledge this? If this was JVCs fifth year at releasing native 4K projectors and it still had some issues with noise, dynamic laser dimming and low contrast then I would say you have every right to nitpick, but I just think you're being unfair.

Last edited by Seegs108; 09-01-2017 at 05:31 PM.
post #819 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 12564 Post(s)
Liked: 10174
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil0909 View Post
Honestly i'm not too well informed on all these and i don't know what half of those things mean lol, what i'm thinking of using is a fixed screen, and a 16:9 ratio, i will choose the screen based on the projector, not the other way round
Then your questions can't be answered. Projector, screen and room all make up a system. You have to match up all three to get a good working system.
post #820 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Its Saturday

I personally think it will be sub 20k here since our prices usually line up very well against Euro pricing.

Thanks JAVS. It would be excellent if the RRP doesn't exceed $20k here. I check in with you late next week to see if you can get a price out of them.
magi1500 likes this.
post #821 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
I bought my current JVC 4910 from you a few years back and I am hopeful that Sony will release a 4k unit with lens shift for about $8,000. I would like your opinion on whether 4k in my theater would make a significant difference. I am currently sitting 13' from a 10' wide 2.40:1 Seymour XD screen. I used to have the Stewart Filmscreen Studiotek 100 material before I went to a baffle wall and that screen did give a sharper image (it was about a foot less wide though) than the XD material.
Since this is off topic, shoot me an email or PM. But for a quick answer, yes, but you might want to move seating a foot or two closer.
post #822 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Its Saturday

If this projector had of come with the 1100ES lens or the one that is 'new' in this projector can be proven to be as good, and if the machine had a P3 filter or at least an attempt to hit DCI spec properly I would be seriously considering buying it.

I hope the panel in this projector treats patterns and high density pixels in the same fashion as the 5000 and not like the 675 does with its haywire freakout and moire etc.

Im honestly not worried about degradation in this country any more, our consumer laws are pretty tough here so there is a good foundation for solutions if something happens.
You guys are very well protected.
post #823 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I'm fully aware about your contributions around SXRD panel degradation. It just seems by the way you phrase things you have a bias against JVC and one towards Sony. I've highlighted some of those reasons in my previous post. I say them not because I'm brand loyal, but because these are the very reasons I could never own a Sony 4K SXRD projector. Fix these issues and I would gladly make the switch. Both the 1100ES and 665ES I had here were phenomenal projectors but I just could not get past the problems mentioned previously. Fix the problems and I'll ditch eshift immediately. To me they are totally unacceptable to have on such expensive projectors. You seem to be okay at laying fault with a first generation projector from JVC while at the same time not mentioning many of the faults Sony has had with it's 4K line up since 2012. None of the major gripes with the VW1000ES have been fully resolved and yet I don't see you mention these problems. Can you see where some of us might think you have a bias? I respect your opinion and value the objective work you do with your reviews, but you have to see where I'm coming from with my previous post. As Kris Deering points out, the 5000ES is no more than an 1100ES with a laser light source strapped onto the back of it. As he points out, how is this worth an extra $30000? Yes, it is very bright, but that's essentially the only thing it has in raw picture quality that the 1000ES platform lacked. Nothing but brightness performance has increased. Is that really worth an extra $30000? It has the same lens, similar video processing, same I/O, same 4K SXRD panels and a hit in contrast performance. Why is the 5000ES a justifiable purchase at the asking price when only brightness has been improved over the 1100ES? Why are you so critical on JVC for charging $35000 when Sony is charging almost double for a boost in brightness from a longer lasting light source? At least in JVCs defense, almost everything about this projector is brand new. A new lens, new DiLA panel, new video processing, new chassis, new light source, new cooling solution, new mode of dynamic contrast, ect. It should be fair to say there will be some quirks with a product like this as it's not a mature and developed projector line. Sony has been at this for five years now and none of the major faults with that platform have been resolved. Do you acknowledge this? If this was JVCs fifth year at releasing native 4K projectors and it still had some issues with noise, dynamic laser dimming and low contrast then I would say you have every right to nitpick, but I just think you're being unfair.
I really don't see why a consumer is required to be fair and have sympathy for a company providing a new product. It's not like being nice to a toddler who's trying to tie his own shoes for the first time.

JVC has plenty of ongoing issues that they haven't been able to correct over multiple years. You could debate that they are minor compared to your pet peeves with Sony but I don't think it's appropriate to call JVC the constant improvement company either.

JVC offers some very nice features like high quality glass and 18gb bandwidth but I grow tired of anything less being described as total garbage when the differences are often minor.

Personally I think Sony makes decent design choices where JVC at times seems like overkill. Nothing wrong with exceeding requirements via overkill until you try to spin the competition as garbage because they don't.

Having said that Sony needs to fix their US pricing. If they did I think they'd slaughter JVC because Joe Blow doesn't care about optical glass and bandwidth.
post #824 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
... None of the major gripes with the VW1000ES have been fully resolved and yet I don't see you mention these problems. ...

See, it does not make any sense at all to have further discussion as long as you keep telling wrong accusations. Cine4Home is the only professional plattform in Germany (maybe wordwide), who published for years now about the intense degradation process of SXRD and also of the VW1000/1100. Just last week, we discussed a VW1100, which was never used and its contrast fell down to 2000:1, just by sitting in a box. We also warned people that there are brand new HW45 / 65 out there, which color- and gamma drifted to an unacceptabe level and that it seems that the counter measures of the VW520 might not be enough. We also put directly pressure on Sony to help VW1100 owners who were affected by the degradation. And so on...

Lots of these things happen in german social media, on events and at dealer places, so it is no surprise that you might "not see" it.

Regarding the Z1: It being a first generation model is no excuse whatsoever as JVC is selling this machine on the market charging the price of a middle class car for it. JVC Kenwood is no hobby garage with amateur engineers, but a stock driven company which has to provide a price matching quality. Same goes to Sony and the VW5000, which sure is not perfect, and of course you can discuss if it is worth its price. But overall it represents its state of the art class much better than the Z1, at least until a significant degradation is proven. The VW5000 just beeing a VW1100 with attached laser engine is simply fake news, just take it apart and you will see for yourself (we did). If someone does not understand how much more difficult & expensive it is to develop and produce a 5000 lumens projector with such a high contrast and low noise level, he should not make such bold statements.

So if you and others do not inform yourself enough about our work or the products discussed, please do not make any wrong accusations here regarding my person, thank you!

Other than that, you have of course all rights to hate the picture of Sony projectors all the way you want, I do not care ;-)

And if it makes you happy, here the latest negative Sony discovery: The last FW-update of the VW5000 decreased the usability of the dynamic contrast function, which was very helpful to improve HDR quality, when used right (additional adaption in the service menu required).

Back to topic: There is absolutely no doubt about the fact, that the VW760 will steal the market from the Z1, as it provides a much better performance / price relation. This is what we wrote and only an extreme JVC fan or otherwise biased person would not accept that fact.

Regards,
Ekki

Last edited by Cine4Home; 09-01-2017 at 06:57 PM.
post #825 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I really don't see why a consumer is required to be fair and have sympathy for a company providing a new product. It's not like being nice to a toddler who's trying to tie his own shoes for the first time.

JVC has plenty of ongoing issues that they haven't been able to correct over multiple years. You could debate that they are minor compared to your pet peeves with Sony but I don't think it's appropriate to call JVC the constant improvement company either.
Exactly my point!
post #826 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Back to topic: There is absolutely no doubt about the fact, that the VW760 will steal the market from the Z1, as it provides a much better performance / price relation.
For Europe that definitely looks to be the case with the Sony at less than half the price of the JVC.

It will be interesting to see US pricing of the Sony, but even there JVC may be forced to lower their price.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the Sony will start at $23k in the US. Hoping for $20k and not $25k, although those round numbers might be more likely than my $23k guess.

--Darin
post #827 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp View Post
I'm going to take a wild guess and say the Sony will start at $23k in the US. Hoping for $20k and not $25k, although those round numbers might be more likely than my $23k guess.

--Darin
Yeah, Sony 4k projectors are really expensive in the US, I always wonder why.

Normally, it is the other way round.

Last edited by Cine4Home; 09-01-2017 at 07:04 PM.
post #828 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp View Post
For Europe that definitely looks to be the case with the Sony at less than half the price of the JVC.

It will be interesting to see US pricing of the Sony, but even there JVC may be forced to lower their price.

--Darin
My guess is $25k which puts it well out of reach for what I can justify. Which means a 675es or the new '375es' that I wish was more sexy so people would talk about it.

If the pricing makes sense I'll probably get the 300 series unit now that it's added features that should always have been there in the first place. Better to save money while I wait for 4k FI to trickle down. If the 375es provides contrast similar to my previous RS420 I'll be happy.
post #829 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My guess is $25k which puts it well out of reach for what I can justify. Which means a 675es or the new '375es' that I wish was more sexy so people would talk about it. .
The new "small" models I consider disappointing.
Just 13,5Gbps and no FI for 4K = fail
Spizz likes this.
post #830 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
That's fair. But the 300 series received a lot more in upgrades than I would have quessed. I expected them to continue to be stingy with lens memory and a iris. And I'm surprised that the new entry level 4k unit is more than a 4k 45es with manual controls.

4k FI is a want to have that I just can't have right now. JVC can't do it unless the fix CMD and it would still just be E Shift. And I can't justify the price of a 760.
post #831 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Besides in the US people will try to tell you FI is worthless. I find it interesting that European users are more open to its use. My mother was born in Lubeck. Maybe she'll bring me over there sometime so I can hang out with all the FI fans...
post #832 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Besides in the US people will try to tell you FI is worthless. I find it interesting that European users are more open to its use. My mother was born in Lubeck. Maybe she'll bring me over there sometime so I can hang out with all the FI fans...
It is a matter of getting used to it.

I personally like the "24p filmlook" more (so more american as you would say ;-) ) , but when you do a side by side comparison between an Acer V7850, which has a very well working 4K FI, and a Sony VW550, the Acer completely destroys the Sony 4K in motion sharpness. The improvement is just huge.
post #833 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
Quote:
See, it does not make any sense at all to have further discussion as long as you keep telling wrong accusations. Cine4Home is the only professional plattform in Germany (maybe wordwide), who published for years now about the intense degradation process of SXRD and also of the VW1000/1100. Just last week, we discussed a VW1100, which was never used and its contrast fell down to 2000:1, just by sitting in a box. We also warned people that there are brand new HW45 / 65 out there, which color- and gamma drifted to an unacceptabe level and that it seems that the counter measures of the VW520 might not be enough. We also put directly pressure on Sony to help VW1100 owners who were affected by the degradation. And so on...

Lots of these things happen in german social media, on events and at dealer places, so it is no surprise that you might "not see" it.

Regarding the Z1: It being a first generation model is no excuse whatsoever as JVC is selling this machine on the market charging the price of a middle class car for it. JVC Kenwood is no hobby garage with amateur engineers, but a stock driven company which has to provide a price matching quality. Same goes to Sony and the VW5000, which sure is not perfect, and of course you can discuss if it is worth its price. But overall it represents its state of the art class much better than the Z1, at least until a significant degradation is proven. The VW5000 just beeing a VW1100 with attached laser engine is simply fake news, just take it apart and you will see for yourself (we did). If someone does not understand how much more difficult & expensive it is to develop and produce a 5000 lumens projector with such a high contrast and low noise level, he should not make such bold statements.

So if you and others do not inform yourself enough about our work or the products discussed, please do not make any wrong accusations here regarding my person, thank you!

Other than that, you have of course all rights to hate the picture of Sony projectors all the way you want, I do not care ;-)

And if it makes you happy, here the latest negative Sony discovery: The last FW-update of the VW5000 decreased the usability of the dynamic contrast function, which was very helpful to improve HDR quality, when used right (additional adaption in the service menu required).

Back to topic: There is absolutely no doubt about the fact, that the VW760 will steal the market from the Z1, as it provides a much better performance / price relation. This is what we wrote and only an extreme JVC fan or otherwise biased person would not accept that fact.

Regards,
Ekki
I was not referring to you not discussing the issues at all, rather that you didn't mention them when you compare the Sony's against the JVCs. This is where the notion of a bias comes from.
post #834 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:
That's fair. But the 300 series received a lot more in upgrades than I would have quessed. I expected them to continue to be stingy with lens memory and a iris. And I'm surprised that the new entry level 4k unit is more than a 4k 45es with manual controls.

4k FI is a want to have that I just can't have right now. JVC can't do it unless the fix CMD and it would still just be E Shift. And I can't justify the price of a 760.
What if the 760 comes in at $15K? Would you cough up the extra cash then?

I still think it is a possibility considering that they will have to lower the price on the 675 in order to sell any now that the 365 will have the same features only 300 less lumens.

In Europe the Sony 5000 is 4 times more than the 760. In the US the Sony 5000 is $60,000. That would bring the 760 in at $15K if the ratio remains consistent. Also they kept the same price for the 365 in Europe at 7K euros, the price for the 365 in the US is $8K. In Europe the 760 is roughly 2.1 times more than the 365, so using that ratio puts the 760 at just under $17K.

I guess we will have to wait until Thursday to find out but I really think the 760 could be priced in the $15K - $20K range.
mbw23air likes this.
post #835 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
It is a matter of getting used to it.

I personally like the "24p filmlook" more (so more american as you would say ;-) ) , but when you do a side by side comparison between an Acer V7850, which has a very well working 4K FI, and a Sony VW550, the Acer completely destroys the Sony 4K in motion sharpness. The improvement is just huge.
I was truly surprised by how revolting I found the motion on the JVC I returned. I would have expected native motion to be the same as a Sony but while I can watch a Sony with Motionflow off (despite this not being my preference) I couldnt stand the JVC without CMD on and then the banding shows up. CMD also has more artifacts in my opinion.
post #836 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2797 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Its Saturday

I kept the Sony VW675 over the JVC because it clearly had a better delineated image that was silky smooth , and natural typical of all true 4K panels . None of the busyness of image typical with JVC and e-shift. A friend of mine with a 365 and RS500 was at a JVC workshop in Germany not too long ago . It was interesting that of the 20 or so in attendance , he had the only JVC that did not exhibit the noise, others were impressed. Funny enough I could not get any acknowledgement with this issue when I brought it up, they discuss this quite readily in an effort to figure out solutions . He uses his 365 for the superior 1080 it does over his RS500 , enjoys the JVC for other reasons .

The RS600 I had goes haywire with any true 4K pattern, simply cannot reproduce it .
TheSony4KRises likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .

Last edited by roxiedog13; 09-01-2017 at 07:52 PM.
post #837 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
What if the 760 comes in at $15K? Would you cough up the extra cash then?

I still think it is a possibility considering that they will have to lower the price on the 675 in order to sell any now that the 365 will have the same features only 300 less lumens.

In Europe the Sony 5000 is 4 times more than the 760. In the US the Sony 5000 is $60,000. That would bring the 760 in at $15K if the ratio remains consistent. Also they kept the same price for the 365 in Europe at 7K euros, the price for the 365 in the US is $8K. In Europe the 760 is roughly 2.1 times more than the 365, so using that ratio puts the 760 at just under $17K.

I guess we will have to wait until Thursday to find out but I really think the 760 could be priced in the $15K - $20K range.
The only way I could justify a 760 over a 675 would be if I was quoted a similar non-SURE price on it to what I was given for the 675 and that appears unlikely.

I may still get a 675es as it looks like it may also have contrast improvements over the new 300 series but only if the price is near identical (which it might be if SURE is enforced on the new model). I crunched some numbers this afternoon and I'm less worried about the real world differences between 1500 and 1800 lumens than I was.
post #838 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:
The only way I could justify a 760 over a 675 would be if I was quoted a similar non-SURE price on it to what I was given for the 675 and that appears unlikely.

I may still get a 675es as it looks like it may also have contrast improvements over the new 300 series but only if the price is near identical (which it might be if SURE is enforced on the new model). I crunched some numbers this afternoon and I'm less worried about the real world differences between 1500 and 1800 lumens than I was.
Do you have reasoning for choosing the 365 or discounted 675 over the new 260? If it really comes in at under $5000 and the only difference between it and the new 365 is DI and lens memory, even that doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Save some more money, still have 4K HDR support, same native contrast. Then wait and save for when the equivalent of a 760 is under $10K.
post #839 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:46 PM

And my brightness concerns are mostly because I zoom for 2.35:1.

I'd say my screen gain is slightly higher than advertised (1.1 or so rather than 1.0) and with a 130 inch 2.35 screen at 14.5 feet throw I have to use high lamp when zooming on my current 45es, my previous RS420 and would do the same on a 375/675. I sold my anamorphic lens as I never was quite pleased by the inability to remove all the pincushion.
post #840 of 2575 Old 09-01-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
Do you have reasoning for choosing the 365 or discounted 675 over the new 260? If it really comes in at under $5000 and the only difference between it and the new 365 is DI and lens memory, even that doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Save some more money, still have 4K HDR support, same native contrast. Then wait and save for when the equivalent of a 760 is under $10K.
I use zoom method for CIH so I really want the lens memory. And I can live without an iris but it's definitely a nice to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page