Dell S718QL - 4K UHD Laser UST Announced - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 193Likes

post #271 of 720 Old 02-03-2018, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by zee.dh View Post
This is a really cool set up Linus does with the projector. I love the custom desk he makes for it. I actually watched the video on my projector set up. Looks so good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzDfnHVfEdA&t=0s
Nice link....and I like the concept. I bet it might be awesome on a curved screen and simulator use.

Brad
AVR Anthen AVM 60 Amp Emotiva XPA-7 & XPA-5 Sources Oppo 203, FireTV, FiOS
Speakers Atmos 7.2.4 - TruAudio B23-465s (LCRs), TruAudio B23-265s (SL/R & SB), Dual SVS PC-2000s (Subs), 4 In Ceilings
PJ JVC RS500 Screen 153" DIY 2.35:1 Spandex
My crazy long build Coffered Ceiling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 720 Old 02-05-2018, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Screen recomendation for this projector

If I were to mount this projector on the ceiling, which screen would be recommended? How about if I use it in the UST setup?
post #273 of 720 Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm pretty tempted by the S718QL but given it'd be my first projector, I would have loved to see more "professional" reviews out there, especially given that $4.5k without screen is still a non negligible amount of $. :/
How do you proud owners of that projector like it? Has anyone been lucky enough to compare it against the Xiami Mi Ultra Short or the Epson EH-LS100 for instance? Is the 4K really noticeable? Also, any input lag when playing games?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bubur; 02-06-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 720 Old 02-07-2018, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubur View Post
I'm pretty tempted by the S718QL but given it'd be my first projector, I would have loved to see more "professional" reviews out there, especially given that $4.5k without screen is still a non negligible amount of $. :/
How do you proud owners of that projector like it? Has anyone been lucky enough to compare it against the Xiami Mi Ultra Short or the Epson EH-LS100 for instance? Is the 4K really noticeable? Also, any input lag when playing games?

Thanks in advance!
My first, and prior projector was a cheap Epson(?). Bought a cheap arm ceiling mount and it was just an awkward set up. We couldn't sit below the projector, otherwise when we stand, it would have hit us on the head.

When I was planning on upgrading, I knew I wanted 4K, and also a short throw (just due to logistics of my room set up as mentioned above). The 4K is noticeable when you start paying attention. All the fine details, they're all there. You also want to think about the future. 4K is slowly rolling out, and it will the standard in a couple of years. HDR is even more amazing. I've been gaming with a Xbox X, and don't notice any lag.

Yes, it's quite a bit of money, but this is something I'll be using for the next 5+ years. And it's just an awesome set up when people come over! The Superbowl was great to watch it on. If you're looking for a short throw, this is the best bang for the buck. If not, there's a lot of other 4k HDR projector you could look at.
post #275 of 720 Old 02-08-2018, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetv View Post
I am very close to ordering this projector. I have asked this question before but have not seen an answer yet. Which screen would go well with this projector if A. I use it as a UST projector and B. I mount it. Thanks for any input.
Since this is an ultra short throw projector, you should use a screen specifically made for such a projector.

This is the screen that I have for this projector. I got the 120 inch version.

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens...screen+clr+120

The savings that you get from this sale price would cover for the screen expensive price. It is worth it to get this screen to get the full potential of this Dell projector.

You should use it as a UST projector instead of mounting it on the ceiling. It just looks better on the stand in my opinion.

I will not mount it in the ceiling so I cannot give you advice on ceiling mounting.

Good luck with your decision.
post #276 of 720 Old 02-08-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6967 Post(s)
Liked: 8233
Quote:
I am very close to ordering this projector. I have asked this question before but have not seen an answer yet. Which screen would go well with this projector if A. I use it as a UST projector and B. I mount it. Thanks for any input.
You have to be careful of screen selection for UST. For example, Stewart only lists two screen materials as no minimum throw - Studiotek 100 and Graymatte 70.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #277 of 720 Old 02-08-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy View Post
Since this is an ultra short throw projector, you should use a screen specifically made for such a projector.

This is the screen that I have for this projector. I got the 120 inch version.

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens...screen+clr+120

The savings that you get from this sale price would cover for the screen expensive price. It is worth it to get this screen to get the full potential of this Dell projector.

You should use it as a UST projector instead of mounting it on the ceiling. It just looks better on the stand in my opinion.

I will not mount it in the ceiling so I cannot give you advice on ceiling mounting.

Good luck with your decision.
The largest Elite CLR screen listed is 120 inch. If I wish to go bigger, are there other alternative screen for this UST projector?
post #278 of 720 Old 02-08-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
The largest Elite CLR screen listed is 120 inch. If I wish to go bigger, are there other alternative screen for this UST projector?
Stewart. You might download the owners manual for that projector and see what it says regarding screen size from where you plan to mount it.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #279 of 720 Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Stewart. You might download the owners manual for that projector and see what it says regarding screen size from where you plan to mount it.
Craig,
According to the manual, the farther out from the screen the projector is placed, the larger the projected image.

Min: at 3.9 inches from the screen, the projector can project an image size of 100 inches (diagonal)
Max: at 8.9 inches from the screen, the projected image is 130 inch (diagonal).

What would happen if I keep on moving the projector farther out, let's say to 11 inches from the screen? Can I project a larger image than 130 inches or is there some limits to how large of an image this UST projector can throw?
post #280 of 720 Old 02-08-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
My first, and prior projector was a cheap Epson(?). Bought a cheap arm ceiling mount and it was just an awkward set up. We couldn't sit below the projector, otherwise when we stand, it would have hit us on the head.

When I was planning on upgrading, I knew I wanted 4K, and also a short throw (just due to logistics of my room set up as mentioned above). The 4K is noticeable when you start paying attention. All the fine details, they're all there. You also want to think about the future. 4K is slowly rolling out, and it will the standard in a couple of years. HDR is even more amazing. I've been gaming with a Xbox X, and don't notice any lag.

Yes, it's quite a bit of money, but this is something I'll be using for the next 5+ years. And it's just an awesome set up when people come over! The Superbowl was great to watch it on. If you're looking for a short throw, this is the best bang for the buck. If not, there's a lot of other 4k HDR projector you could look at.
Sorry didn't reply earlier, thanks for the details! Reading the entire Xiaomi and Dell threads, I realize I'm in exactly the same boat as SanDiegoGuy: I'm debating whether I go for the S718QL and spend $$ or if I opt for a more affordable 1080p UST that I would use for the next 1-2 years and make the jump to a $$ or $$$ awesome 4k UST. I have the feeling that this is just the beginning of 4k UST and that the next two years are going to bring greatness in that space. But I have a huge wall and a tiny 46" LCD TV that I want to replace... Decisions decisions...
post #281 of 720 Old 02-09-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubur View Post
Sorry didn't reply earlier, thanks for the details! Reading the entire Xiaomi and Dell threads, I realize I'm in exactly the same boat as SanDiegoGuy: I'm debating whether I go for the S718QL and spend $$ or if I opt for a more affordable 1080p UST that I would use for the next 1-2 years and make the jump to a $$ or $$$ awesome 4k UST. I have the feeling that this is just the beginning of 4k UST and that the next two years are going to bring greatness in that space. But I have a huge wall and a tiny 46" LCD TV that I want to replace... Decisions decisions...
Yes, we are on the same boat if you read both this thread and the Xiaomi UST projector thread. As you know, if they had not deliver the wrong item to me instead of delivering my Xiaomi projector, I would be using the Xiaomi projector right now.....but will always have that feeling of 4K itch. Now that I think about it, I am glad that they sent me a phone instead of the projector.
The way I see it, I will sell the Dell projector once a really good 4K UST projector come out in the future. I want to enjoy 4K now because life is short. There will always be better things in the future.
post #282 of 720 Old 02-10-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Craig,
According to the manual, the farther out from the screen the projector is placed, the larger the projected image.

Min: at 3.9 inches from the screen, the projector can project an image size of 100 inches (diagonal)

What would happen if I keep on moving the projector farther out, let's say to 11 inches from the screen? Can I project a larger image than 130 inches or is there some limits to how large of an image this UST projector can throw?
Good question. 130" is pretty good sized. If you decide to buy this projector, get it first before buying the screen. Then you can experiment - maybe you can go larger than 130", although that would be large enough for me. If the idea is to have a bright punch image, don't go too big.

post #283 of 720 Old 02-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Craig,

Good question. 130" is pretty good sized. If you decide to buy this projector, get it first before buying the screen. Then you can experiment - maybe you can go larger than 130", although that would be large enough for me. If the idea is to have a bright punch image, don't go too big.

post #284 of 720 Old 02-11-2018, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Question Max Distance >130"?

It would be great if an owner could do some distance tests....how far/how big can you get the image before there are image issues? In a light controlled room, you could compensate for the brightness, but not for focus or other image issues. Anyone hit 140 or 150"??? It would great if we had an UST capable of 150" 16:9.
bluetv and oni222 like this.

Brad
Speakers Atmos 7.2.4 - TruAudio B23-465s (LCRs), TruAudio B23-265s (SL/R & SB), Dual SVS PC-2000s (Subs), 4 In Ceilings
post #285 of 720 Old 02-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpassman View Post
It would be great if an owner could do some distance tests....how far/how big can you get the image before there are image issues? In a light controlled room, you could compensate for the brightness, but not for focus or other image issues. Anyone hit 140 or 150"??? It would great if we had an UST capable of 150" 16:9.
150 inch is my goal....
post #286 of 720 Old 02-12-2018, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Anything over 130 diagonal will result in severe keystoning. The image is already undergoing a warp through the lens(wide angle) to counter
keystoning. So by expanding the image beyond the capabilities of the lens you are reintroducing keystoning. Ultra short pj's don't have a zoom lens.
I would not go over the manufacturer's recommendations.
post #287 of 720 Old 02-12-2018, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug7669 View Post
Anything over 130 diagonal will result in severe keystoning. The image is already undergoing a warp through the lens(wide angle) to counter
keystoning. So by expanding the image beyond the capabilities of the lens you are reintroducing keystoning. Ultra short pj's don't have a zoom lens.
I would not go over the manufacturer's recommendations.
Sure in theory, which is why I thought it would be great if an owner did some real-world tests. I'm sure you could get to 135, maybe 140 without severe keystoning; but without tests we wouldn't know. Plus, you could always use an image processor or graphics card to manipulate the image. But, I would say as an UST...pulling it out from the wall to get a bigger image will have its functional limits. At some point, a ST would make more sense.

Brad
post #288 of 720 Old 02-13-2018, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Sure in theory, which is why I thought it would be great if an owner did some real-world tests. I'm sure you could get to 135, maybe 140 without severe keystoning; but without tests we wouldn't know. Plus, you could always use an image processor or graphics card to manipulate the image. But, I would say as an UST...pulling it out from the wall to get a bigger image will have its functional limits. At some point, a ST would make more sense.
You can't focus the image properly. I don't know how big I tried to make it but there was a focus issue. I was just throwing it against my wall when I first got it. It was a while ago, so I can't say for sure!
post #289 of 720 Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I had a chance to view both in person with a 1080P short throw projector before purchasing. The SI was a better image, but it was also 3x more expensive. I don't think it was 3x the better image. Check here: https://projectionsupply.com/product...nt=37277923272. Not sure if they actually have it in stock, but maybe call and ask.
I did not know that the SI screen for ultra short throw projector is better quality. If I had known, I may have bought the SI screen instead. I bought the 120 inch CLR Aeon screen from Elite Screen but I have not received the Dell laser projector to test it out yet.

Last edited by SanDiegoGuy; 02-13-2018 at 09:51 AM.
post #290 of 720 Old 02-13-2018, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm in the same boat - bit the bullet and ordered everything last week, but I'm also having to wait the 2-3 weeks for the 100" ES Aeon CLR (projector arrives tomorrow). It seems that Elite Screens is low on the screen material because even samples are out of stock until late March!

On a semi-related note - does anyone have experience with Elunevision screens? They have a UST specific ALR screen (Aurora ST) that is available to order direct from them, although it too is a 3 week wait (its custom order only). I was quoted $2900 for a 100" with a minimal frame, similar to the ES Aeon or SI Zero Edge.
post #291 of 720 Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM

I have never heard of Elunevision screens. By the way, I finally got my Dell S718QL projector today. I also had time to finish hanging my 120 inch Aeon CLR last night.... so just in time to receive my projector. I am pretty excited to test the projector out tonight.
post #292 of 720 Old 02-13-2018, 05:52 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
I have never heard of Elunevision screens. By the way, I finally got my Dell S718QL projector today. I also had time to finish hanging my 120 inch Aeon CLR last night.... so just in time to receive my projector. I am pretty excited to test the projector out tonight.
I'll cross my fingers for you.. Mine is bad, so they have to ship out a replacement :-(..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180214_013815310_iOS.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2360750  
post #293 of 720 Old 02-13-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap16 View Post
I'm in the same boat - bit the bullet and ordered everything last week, but I'm also having to wait the 2-3 weeks for the 100" ES Aeon CLR (projector arrives tomorrow). It seems that Elite Screens is low on the screen material because even samples are out of stock until late March!

On a semi-related note - does anyone have experience with Elunevision screens? They have a UST specific ALR screen (Aurora ST) that is available to order direct from them, although it too is a 3 week wait (its custom order only). I was quoted $2900 for a 100" with a minimal frame, similar to the ES Aeon or SI Zero Edge.

I talked to them and they claimed that they use the exact same material as SI does.. I could have sworn that SI said manufactures their own screens and they don't share their patents.. (granted they could be bending the truth as marketing people love to do)

I think I am biting the bullet and going to 120"
post #294 of 720 Old 02-14-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Woohoo, more feedback! Also impatiently waiting for Projector Reviews to publish theirs at the end of the month (https://www.projectorreviews.com/the...uhd-projector/).
post #295 of 720 Old 02-14-2018, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey can anyone tell if this projector can do any motion interpolation (soap opera effect)?
Also, does it upscale to 4k?
I'm just curious about how it handles motion since what info I can find seems to be about presentations and stuff.
I've tried searching around and couldn't find the answers.
post #296 of 720 Old 02-14-2018, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Link to: Dell Advanced Projector S718QL User’s Guide...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #297 of 720 Old 02-14-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathor View Post
Hey can anyone tell if this projector can do any motion interpolation (soap opera effect)?
Also, does it upscale to 4k?
I'm just curious about how it handles motion since what info I can find seems to be about presentations and stuff.
I've tried searching around and couldn't find the answers.
yes it has Motion smoothing.. You can turn it off.. .Its not in the manual.. The manual is actually woefully incomplete on the menu options and what they do..
post #298 of 720 Old 02-14-2018, 12:07 PM

I want to get the Sony ultra short throw projector now because the rainbow effect is bothering me. I read that people in this thread had said they cannot see the RBE but I can see it, especially with white subtitles and fast moving scenes. Even shifting my eyes quickly can detect the RBE. I wish the Sony is not $25,000 and hope that I can get a big sale price on it. I also hope that other company can come up with UST laser projector that does not use single color wheel to prevent RBE. I used the Elite Screen Aeon CLR screen made specifically for UST projector but I can still detect RBE. :-(
post #299 of 720 Old 02-14-2018, 01:40 PM
mnb

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I want to get the Sony ultra short throw projector now because the rainbow effect is bothering me. I read that people in this thread had said they cannot see the RBE but I can see it, especially with white subtitles and fast moving scenes. Even shifting my eyes quickly can detect the RBE. I wish the Sony is not $25,000 and hope that I can get a big sale price on it. I also hope that other company can come up with UST laser projector that does not use single color wheel to prevent RBE. I used the Elite Screen Aeon CLR screen made specifically for UST projector but I can still detect RBE. :-(
That is what I am worried about. Once you figure out how to see RBE it's hard to NOT see RBE. Are you going to try and just get used to it?
post #300 of 720 Old 02-14-2018, 01:42 PM
mnb

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Sorry, meant to ask, besides RBE issue, what do you think of the pj and screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page