Dell S718QL - 4K UHD Laser UST Announced - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 193Likes

post #301 of 720 Old 02-14-2018, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Besides the RBE, I really like the projector. I have not play with it much so I have not try to calibrate it yet. I think that this projector does not let you do a lot of calibration. When it starts up, it made an annoying beep sound. Maybe there is a way to disable it. The fan is audible at 5 feet away. At least the projector is pretty bright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 720 Old 02-15-2018, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy View Post
Besides the RBE, I really like the projector. I have not play with it much so I have not try to calibrate it yet. I think that this projector does not let you do a lot of calibration. When it starts up, it made an annoying beep sound. Maybe there is a way to disable it. The fan is audible at 5 feet away. At least the projector is pretty bright.
Beep can be turned off Its in the advanced settings -> Projector settings I believe. Also, its wierd when you are and are not allowed to "edit" the tuning.. I have found video mode, brightness & contrast and such are actually disabled when Netflix is playing, but not disabled on the dashboard of my PS4... Weirder still, it seems that you can still edit some (though not all) settings from the webbrowser even when they are locked out from the remote/menu...

All and all I am impressed.. neither I nor my wife have detected the RBE effect, but we are still waiting on our screen.. (and a Dell projector that isn't busted.. good news, new projector will be here friday.. bad news screen probably won't be here till middle of next week).

Dell needs to release a service manual and actually useful documentation, there are too many ins and outs in the menu and edge cases for when you can do this, or that... Its in a document somewhere.. They just need to make it available.

At least Dell has a healthy return policy if you really dislike the projector..
post #303 of 720 Old 02-15-2018, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12500 Post(s)
Liked: 10121
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Handel View Post
Beep can be turned off Its in the advanced settings -> Projector settings I believe. Also, its wierd when you are and are not allowed to "edit" the tuning.. I have found video mode, brightness & contrast and such are actually disabled when Netflix is playing, but not disabled on the dashboard of my PS4... Weirder still, it seems that you can still edit some (though not all) settings from the webbrowser even when they are locked out from the remote/menu...

All and all I am impressed.. neither I nor my wife have detected the RBE effect, but we are still waiting on our screen.. (and a Dell projector that isn't busted.. good news, new projector will be here friday.. bad news screen probably won't be here till middle of next week).

Dell needs to release a service manual and actually useful documentation, there are too many ins and outs in the menu and edge cases for when you can do this, or that... Its in a document somewhere.. They just need to make it available.

At least Dell has a healthy return policy if you really dislike the projector..
Sounds like some of the menu options are turned off when you have a 4K 60P signal (Netflix). That is not uncommon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 720 Old 02-15-2018, 07:04 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Sounds like some of the menu options are turned off when you have a 4K 60P signal (Netflix). That is not uncommon.
First projector so I didn't know that was a thing.... Again, the manual is kind of useless.. (ok not 100%, more like 60% useless)... For instance Motion smoothing isn't even covered in the manual, but its turned on by default under a setting that just says "MEMC" or something like that (projector is not in front of me)..

I guess I am used to every menu option getting at least a bullet point explanation in my documentation, and there are probably 150 menu options when you go through all the menus.
post #305 of 720 Old 02-15-2018, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Handel View Post
yah, I am actually currently backordered with them (ordered Thursday, and they emailed yesterday that they were backordered for 2 to 3 weeks).. Its $999 from them (and pretty close to that everywhere) or $4500 from SI.. thats a BIG leap...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap16 View Post
I'm in the same boat - bit the bullet and ordered everything last week, but I'm also having to wait the 2-3 weeks for the 100" ES Aeon CLR (projector arrives tomorrow). It seems that Elite Screens is low on the screen material because even samples are out of stock until late March!

On a semi-related note - does anyone have experience with Elunevision screens? They have a UST specific ALR screen (Aurora ST) that is available to order direct from them, although it too is a 3 week wait (its custom order only). I was quoted $2900 for a 100" with a minimal frame, similar to the ES Aeon or SI Zero Edge.

You should look at the ViewSonic BCP 100". I have this screen and its great. The screen is actually a rebranded DNP Supernova STW screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-4.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	2361796  
post #306 of 720 Old 02-15-2018, 12:02 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePerson View Post
You should look at the ViewSonic BCP 100". I have this screen and its great. The screen is actually a rebranded DNP Supernova STW screen.
Awesome, looks pretty good! Your room looks decently bright but its hard to tell in photos. Does the screen handle high brightness well? How are the colors and contrast?

It looks like this screen is no different than the others - backordered or special order only, with a 2-3 week lead time.
post #307 of 720 Old 02-15-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Awesome, looks pretty good! Your room looks decently bright but its hard to tell in photos. Does the screen handle high brightness well? How are the colors and contrast?

It looks like this screen is no different than the others - backordered or special order only, with a 2-3 week lead time.
Room is definitely bright, 4 bay windows, glass door, 5 can lights. Screen definitely handles high brightness well. Color and contrast are great. I have a feeling that all UST screens are ultimately the same since they are using "lenticular technology". Here is my setup https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...rs-thread.html not the Dell but similar. There are not many reviews for UST's and I want the product to grow and become more popular. Any questions ask away.
post #308 of 720 Old 02-15-2018, 01:53 PM

Nice! Thanks for linking your thread. I appreciate the photos you have there; really helps solidify my purchase.

The room I'm placing my PJ in can be very bright at times, so I'm *hoping* an ALR screen will give me that 'lcd-like' picture during the day time. Unfortunately, I won't know for another 2-3 weeks.

Unrelated question for anyone that knows - any idea how much impact in brightness there would be with this PJ going from a 100" to a 120" screen?
post #309 of 720 Old 02-16-2018, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I want to get the Sony ultra short throw projector now because the rainbow effect is bothering me. I read that people in this thread had said they cannot see the RBE but I can see it, especially with white subtitles and fast moving scenes. Even shifting my eyes quickly can detect the RBE. I wish the Sony is not $25,000 and hope that I can get a big sale price on it. I also hope that other company can come up with UST laser projector that does not use single color wheel to prevent RBE. I used the Elite Screen Aeon CLR screen made specifically for UST projector but I can still detect RBE. :-(
Oh no! It sucks that you can see the RBE issue. I probably have had 20+ people view content on my set up and they didn't notice anything even after I asked some of them to 'look' for it. I guess you must know how to look for it or you're sensitive to it!
post #310 of 720 Old 02-16-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I want to get the Sony ultra short throw projector now because the rainbow effect is bothering me. I read that people in this thread had said they cannot see the RBE but I can see it, especially with white subtitles and fast moving scenes. Even shifting my eyes quickly can detect the RBE. I wish the Sony is not $25,000 and hope that I can get a big sale price on it. I also hope that other company can come up with UST laser projector that does not use single color wheel to prevent RBE. I used the Elite Screen Aeon CLR screen made specifically for UST projector but I can still detect RBE. :-(
Not 4k but the Epson Home Cinema LS100 is 3lcd so you will not have any rainbow artifacts.
post #311 of 720 Old 02-16-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Got a few question about this projector

3D?
4k HDR?
DOLBY VISION?
Where to buy?

Thanks!
post #312 of 720 Old 02-16-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12500 Post(s)
Liked: 10121
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Got a few question about this projector

3D? NO
4k HDR? Pixel shift, but provides sharp 4K image. Does not do DCI color space
DOLBY VISION? No, but neither does any other projector
Where to buy? Can't answer

Thanks!
See replies above.
Movie78 likes this.
post #313 of 720 Old 02-18-2018, 03:30 PM

I can see the rainbow effect with this Dell laser projector which is disappointing. However, I have read in this thread that many people do not see RBE with this projector. My question for those people is this: Do you have any history of eye surgery? I have Lasix eye surgery so one of the big side effects of the surgery is seeing halos of bright light, like from a street light at night time. I do not know if lasik eye surgery would cause a person to see the rainbow effect from DLP projector or not.
post #314 of 720 Old 02-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I can see the rainbow effect with this Dell laser projector which is disappointing. However, I have read in this thread that many people do not see RBE with this projector. My question for those people is this: Do you have any history of eye surgery? I have Lasix eye surgery so one of the big side effects of the surgery is seeing halos of bright light, like from a street light at night time. I do not know if lasik eye surgery would cause a person to see the rainbow effect from DLP projector or not.
I had Lasik done 10 years ago, so not sure if that's the issue. Although if you're still seeing halos around bright lights, then maybe?
post #315 of 720 Old 02-19-2018, 08:49 AM

Need some help in regards to a sound system.

We already had the Sonos Playbase and Sub, so I picked up two Sonos 1's off Craigslist to make a surround system. I'm running an optical cable from the projector to the Playbase.

When I play music, the Sonos system sounds amazing. When I play an UHD Bluray from my Xbox, I'm not super impressed with the surround sound? The bass is good. But the dialogue seems on the low end and I don't feel much of the surround sound.

My question is, should I have a receiver between the projector and the playbase? Or should I just sell everything off and get something else?
post #316 of 720 Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I had Lasik done in one eye 2 years ago and don't have any trouble with halos at night, and also really notice the RBE. I just got this projector last night and set it up to project on the wall temporarily and was unable to detect any RBE. I'll have to wait to see what it's like with a screen. Also, this thing is BRIGHT!
Troy LaMont likes this.
post #317 of 720 Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I had Lasik done in one eye 2 years ago and don't have any trouble with halos at night, and also really notice the RBE. I just got this projector last night and set it up to project on the wall temporarily and was unable to detect any RBE. I'll have to wait to see what it's like with a screen. Also, this thing is BRIGHT!
You wrote first "and also really notice the RBE." and then wrote " and was unable to detect any RBE." Which one was it lol
oni222 likes this.
post #318 of 720 Old 02-19-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee.dh View Post
You wrote first "and also really notice the RBE." and then wrote " and was unable to detect any RBE." Which one was it lol
Oops! I meant 'don't really notice the RBE'. I don't have a lot of experience with DLP technology (having never owned one myself), but I've never noticed RBE when watching at a friend's house.

Something else I noticed is that MEMC added a smoothness/semi-soap opera effect to a movie I watched on Netflix, but didn't seem to affect content watched on Youtube.
post #319 of 720 Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
From my experience with DLP, RBE is more prone to "Dynamic" mode.
post #320 of 720 Old 02-20-2018, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

We already had the Sonos Playbase and Sub, so I picked up two Sonos 1's off Craigslist to make a surround system. I'm running an optical cable from the projector to the Playbase.

When I play music, the Sonos system sounds amazing. When I play an UHD Bluray from my Xbox, I'm not super impressed with the surround sound? The bass is good. But the dialogue seems on the low end and I don't feel much of the surround sound.

My question is, should I have a receiver between the projector and the playbase? Or should I just sell everything off and get something else?
Sonos is really good at playing digital music all around your house with decent sound quality and "just works" convenience. It is not very good at home theater as it doesn't support the lossless audio tracks that we have been enjoying since blu-ray (TrueHD and DTSMA) nevermind the latest in Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. You also do not get the benefit of a home theater focused room correction software such as Audyssey or YPAO that can go a long way in dialing in your surround sound and increasing your dialog clarity by using this software to properly set distances, delays and surround speaker volumes. If you want great surround sound I would sell the Sonos kit and buy a decent Atmos receiver and a proper set of speakers. You could then add a Sonos Connect or other lower cost devices such as the Chromecast Audio to get your digital music flowing. If you mainly just listen to Spotify and Pandora you may not need to add the Sonos as many receivers have those apps built in as well.
post #321 of 720 Old 02-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Price talk posts removed. Price talk is not permitted outside of the designated Deals' areas.

Quote:
No street price talk or retail links please.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #322 of 720 Old 02-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Not sure about your setup but I just revamped my whole audio setup to use a Denon AVR-X4300H with a 6.1.2 speaker setup (only using 1 rear center surround). Spent the weekend installing 2 ceilings. I was testing some atmos upwared firing and it just wasn't giving me that overhead sound I was looking for. Everything sounds great dialog is nice and clear, audyssey dialed in everything nicely.
post #323 of 720 Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 AM

What is the best calibration/settings for the 4K Dell S718QL projector ?

For those who has the UST 4K laser Dell S718QL, what is your calibration/settings to get the best image?

Can you please post your settings here. Thanks.
post #324 of 720 Old 02-22-2018, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
For those who has the UST 4K laser Dell S718QL, what is your calibration/settings to get the best image?

Can you please post your settings here. Thanks.
Hello, just curious. Did you opt to keep your then despite the RBE issue you were having? I'm mulling returning mine to Dell Its nice and bright but my fixed screen doesn't have enough clearance off the ground and I'm losing screen area when I focus the image

Last edited by kaltek2599; 02-22-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
post #325 of 720 Old 02-22-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaltek2599 View Post
Hello, just curious. Did you opt to keep your then despite the RBE issue you were having? I'm mulling returning mine to Dell Its nice and bright but my fixed screen doesn't have enough clearance off the ground and I'm losing screen area when I focus the image
Yeah, I will keep this projector despite the RBE issue. I will wait for the Sony 4K laser UST to come down in price then will switch with it or wait for another type of 4K laser UST in the future (non single chip DLP to prevent RBE).

My 120 inch Aeon CLR Elite Screen is really low because it has to completely cover up my windows so I had to place the Dell projector really low. I got a nice coffee table at IKEA and had to shorten the 4 legs so the projector would lay low enough to cover the screen. I went to Home Depot to have those 4 legs cut off by 3.5 inches LOL.
The top of my altered coffee table is only 14.25 inches off the ground.

After much time spent on adjusting the coffee table and changing the setting of horizontal/vertical and keystone shift, the image fit close to perfect within the border of my 120" screen. My screen will be there at that position permanently and the only thing that will change will be the projector in the future.
post #326 of 720 Old 02-22-2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Any chance you could attach a few photos (or videos even) of what it looks like with your config? I'm still going to wait for the official review from projectorreviews (https://www.projectorreviews.com/the...uhd-projector/) to make up my mind, but it's always helpful to see how it looks like in "real life".

Thanks!
post #327 of 720 Old 02-23-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubur View Post
Any chance you could attach a few photos (or videos even) of what it looks like with your config? I'm still going to wait for the official review from projectorreviews (https://www.projectorreviews.com/the...uhd-projector/) to make up my mind, but it's always helpful to see how it looks like in "real life".

Thanks!
This is my theater room with the LED ceiling light on and the right side of the room are two windows covered up with a thin curtains that lets the sunlight through the edges that cause the room to be pretty bright. It is 9 am when I took these photos. I plan to get window blinds for my two windows in the near future to control the sunlight better.
My room is small...only 10 feet by 15.5 feet with 9 feet ceiling. I am using the Nakamichi sound bar Elite 7.2 DTS-X temporarily until my Creative Sonic Carrier soundbar arrive in March. My small coffee stand from Ikea is only $25 but it serves its purpose for now. It will have to hold the larger and longer Carrier soundbar later on LOL. At least I achieved the minimalistic theater room. :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180223_080935.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	2365754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180223_081016.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	2365756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180223_081136.jpg
Views:	323
ID:	2365758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180223_081348.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	2365760  

Last edited by SanDiegoGuy; 02-23-2018 at 09:43 AM.
post #328 of 720 Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubur View Post

Thanks!
The first photo of Arrow is with the ceiling light on. The second photo is with the light off but the light from the windows seeps through causing a fairly bright room with a lot of ambient light. The Thor scene is with the light off.

You will notice that the area where the sunlight hit the half of the screen cause washout of the picture. The area of the screen with less sunlight shows better contrast picture with better black and color.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Arrow-lightson.jpg
Views:	374
ID:	2365766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arrow-lightsoff.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2365768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cayden James.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	2365770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	2365772  

Last edited by SanDiegoGuy; 02-23-2018 at 09:24 AM.
post #329 of 720 Old 02-23-2018, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thanks! So you have a dedicated room for the cinema experience, I could see why you said you would have loved the Sony one if it wasn't $25k. Nice setup!
post #330 of 720 Old 02-23-2018, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
The first photo of Arrow is with the ceiling light on. The second photo is with the light off but the light from the windows seeps through causing a fairly bright room with a lot of ambient light. The Thor scene is with the light off.

You will notice that the area where the sunlight hit the half of the screen cause washout of the picture. The area of the screen with less sunlight shows better contrast picture with better black and color.
Why didn't you buy ceiling 4k projector and use the rest of the money to buy a proper AVR with speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page