Dell S718QL - 4K UHD Laser UST Announced - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 193Likes

post #331 of 721 Old 02-23-2018, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Why didn't you buy ceiling 4k projector and use the rest of the money to buy a proper AVR with speakers?
I may do that in the future. For now, I will play around with laser UST projector.

The next step for me is to wait for the Sony to come down in price of their 4K UST laser projector (under $10,000) or wait for a company that will come out with laser 4K UST projector that does not have RBE and is under $10,000. Then if future UST 4K projector does not give me the "blown away" image quality, then I will go back to the basics and get a ceiling mount 4K-8K projector in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 721 Old 02-23-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy View Post
I may do that in the future. For now, I will play around with laser UST projector.

The next step for me is to wait for the Sony to come down in price of their 4K UST laser projector (under $10,000) or wait for a company that will come out with laser 4K UST projector that does not have RBE and is under $10,000. Then if future UST 4K projector does not give me the "blown away" image quality, then I will go back to the basics and get a ceiling mount 4K-8K projector in the future.
The reason I am asking is that you have a nice room to put in a nice theater.
post #333 of 721 Old 02-25-2018, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Handel View Post
Beep can be turned off Its in the advanced settings -> Projector settings I believe. Also, its wierd when you are and are not allowed to "edit" the tuning.. I have found video mode, brightness & contrast and such are actually disabled when Netflix is playing, but not disabled on the dashboard of my PS4... Weirder still, it seems that you can still edit some (though not all) settings from the webbrowser even when they are locked out from the remote/menu...

All and all I am impressed.. neither I nor my wife have detected the RBE effect, but we are still waiting on our screen.. (and a Dell projector that isn't busted.. good news, new projector will be here friday.. bad news screen probably won't be here till middle of next week).

Dell needs to release a service manual and actually useful documentation, there are too many ins and outs in the menu and edge cases for when you can do this, or that... Its in a document somewhere.. They just need to make it available.

At least Dell has a healthy return policy if you really dislike the projector..
When you say Dell has a healthy return policy, do they not impose the restocking fee on projectors? 15% is a good chunk of change in this case I initiated the return online and got a return shipping label which says 1 lbs!! Not sure if I need to follow up with a better customer service rep. I really liked how this projector looked and performed, very bright with great colors and clarity especially when gaming, but I have a 133" screen with very little clearance off the ground because of a low ceiling and hate the idea of wasted screen space because of my inability to align the lower border. Here are some pictures I took as I was evaluating it, Nvidia display settings, Battlefield 1 @2160p on the PC, PS4 and XBox One X settings for those who might be curious. Have some videos I'll try and upload to YouTube as well at 2160p if I can

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_104346.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	2366930   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_102304.jpg
Views:	1654
Size:	736.9 KB
ID:	2366932   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_120152.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	758.6 KB
ID:	2366934   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_120229.jpg
Views:	1512
Size:	708.1 KB
ID:	2366936   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_105555.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	2366938  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_103053.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	1,015.3 KB
ID:	2366940  

Last edited by kaltek2599; 02-25-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: fix attachments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 721 Old 02-25-2018, 07:22 PM
mnb

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaltek2599 View Post
When you say Dell has a healthy return policy, do they not impose the restocking fee on projectors? 15% is a good chunk of change in this case I initiated the return online and got a return shipping label which says 1 lbs!! Not sure if I need to follow up with a better customer service rep. I really liked how this projector looked and performed, very bright with great colors and clarity especially when gaming, but I have a 133" screen with very little clearance off the ground because of a low ceiling and hate the idea of wasted screen space because of my inability to align the lower border. Here are some pictures I took as I was evaluating it, Nvidia display settings, Battlefield 1 @2160p on the PC, PS4 and XBox One X settings for those who might be curious. Have some videos I'll try and upload to YouTube as well at 2160p if I can

I'm assuming you tried to back it up to get the pic bigger and then tried to adjust the legs to move the image lower? It seems the manual says you can lower the image by adjusting the legs.
post #335 of 721 Old 02-25-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
I'm assuming you tried to back it up to get the pic bigger and then tried to adjust the legs to move the image lower? It seems the manual says you can lower the image by adjusting the legs.
Yes, I screwed the legs all the way in, tried removing them to get it lower but there's a metal protrusion underneath that doesn't allow it to be flush with the floor, at it's lowest, I lose the area near the bottom and around the edges, for a 130" image the manual seems to indicate 10" from the top of the projector to the bottom of the image, add the height of the projector and I'm out of luck since I barely have 10" clearance off the ground

post #336 of 721 Old 02-25-2018, 07:36 PM
mnb

Quote:
Yes, I screwed the legs all the way in, tried removing them to get it lower but there's a metal protrusion underneath that doesn't allow it to be flush with the floor, at it's lowest, I lose the area near the bottom and around the edges, for a 130" image the manual seems to indicate 10" from the top of the projector to the bottom of the image, add the height of the projector and I'm out of luck since I barely have 10" clearance off the ground

So I see what you mean by screwing all the legs in to get it as close to the ground, but that is not what I was talking about. In the manual it says to adjust the front or rear legs to adjust up or down and then use keystone setting to square things up. Essentially you are tilting the projector instead of keeping it level.

Page 22.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/al...uide_en-us.pdf
oni222 likes this.

Last edited by mnb; 02-25-2018 at 07:55 PM.
post #337 of 721 Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
So I see what you mean by screwing all the legs in to get it as close to the ground, but that is not what I was talking about. In the manual it says to adjust the front or rear legs to adjust up or down and then use keystone setting to square things up. Essentially you are tilting the projector instead of keeping it level.

Page 22.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/al...uide_en-us.pdf
The tilt is restricted from 0 to a max of 3.6 degrees off of ground.That loop like thing near one of the legs is the reason that taking off those adjustable legs altogether, doesn't get me any lower, and Page 29 shows that my offset to the bottom of my image will be 10' added to the height of the projector. However, you're right, I didn't try raising the rear legs to tilt it so that the image might be projected lower, but was hoping not to have to keystone my way out of the problem if I could help it. I suppose I can try that too and see how far it gets me. Thanks.
post #338 of 721 Old 02-25-2018, 08:06 PM
mnb

Quote:
The tilt is restricted from 0 to a max of 3.6 degrees off of ground.That loop like thing near one of the legs is the reason that taking off those adjustable legs altogether, doesn't get me any lower, and Page 29 shows that my offset to the bottom of my image will be 10' added to the height of the projector. However, you're right, I didn't try raising the rear legs to tilt it so that the image might be projected lower, but was hoping not to have to keystone my way out of the problem if I could help it. I suppose I can try that too and see how far it gets me. Thanks.
Let me know if it works, as I may need this as well if I buy this unit. I am trying to plan out a 120" screen but with this pj sitting on top of a short console. I too have a fairly short wall. I was hoping this adjustment would give me a little wiggle room if I can't find a console that is short enough.
post #339 of 721 Old 02-25-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Let me know if it works, as I may need this as well if I buy this unit. I am trying to plan out a 120" screen but with this pj sitting on top of a short console. I too have a fairly short wall. I was hoping this adjustment would give me a little wiggle room if I can't find a console that is short enough.
I will try that and post.

Meanwhile here are my 2160p phone camera uploads to Youtube

UHD blu ray playback of GotG2 on XBox One X (didn't change mode to cinema which might account for the look)

XBox One X Gears of War 4

PS4 Pro New Horizon

PC Battlefield 1
post #340 of 721 Old 02-25-2018, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
So from my perspective, where there's a will there's a way. That border on your screen is cutting into a lot of the flexibility for the Dell, is there a way to remove it, maybe just from the top? Also, I don't know what's underneath the drop ceiling to the left of the screen but it also is cutting into your screen placement options, you can cut a 2 inch groove, just enough to slide the screen up about 3-4 maybe 5 inches.

That's just me.

Also, since this is a UST projector, they usually recommend an ALR screen, the majority of those have no or minimal borders. Is a screen upgrade in the budget? I've seen Chinese ALR screens @ 120" going for about $700 USD.

More eyes, more options. Hope these ideas help.

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #341 of 721 Old 02-25-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
So from my perspective, where there's a will there's a way. That border on your screen is cutting into a lot of the flexibility for the Dell, is there a way to remove it, maybe just from the top? Also, I don't know what's underneath the drop ceiling to the left of the screen but it also is cutting into your screen placement options, you can cut a 2 inch groove, just enough to slide the screen up about 3-4 maybe 5 inches.

That's just me.

Also, since this is a UST projector, they usually recommend an ALR screen, the majority of those have no or minimal borders. Is a screen upgrade in the budget? I've seen Chinese ALR screens @ 120" going for about $700 USD.

More eyes, more options. Hope these ideas help.
Thanks for the suggestions, the drop ceiling along the left hugs the bottom of my air ducts that run along the length of my basement that I chose not to reroute due to budget, in my insistence to maximize screen size, I went as large as I could at the time I installed my 133" screen 5 years ago, and have been happy thus far with a Sony HW30ES ceiling mounted projector that's still around. The black borders have been great at absorbing any excess from the outer edges. I was hoping the Dell would let me hedge my bets, allow 4k sources despite the loss of 3D with the added brightness of the laser and the easier placement options of an UST, but that was before I ran into the loss of available screen area.

post #342 of 721 Old 02-26-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, the drop ceiling along the left hugs the bottom of my air ducts that run along the length of my basement that I chose not to reroute due to budget, in my insistence to maximize screen size, I went as large as I could at the time I installed my 133" screen 5 years ago, and have been happy thus far with a Sony HW30ES ceiling mounted projector that's still around. The black borders have been great at absorbing any excess from the outer edges. I was hoping the Dell would let me hedge my bets, allow 4k sources despite the loss of 3D with the added brightness of the laser and the easier placement options of an UST, but that was before I ran into the loss of available screen area.

I think that you should downsize the screen size from 133" to 120". Then put your theater seats closer to the screen to make the image look bigger.

I got my 120" CLR screen from Elite Screen that is made for UST projector like the Dell UST projector. I am using it with my Dell S718QL and it is great. With this 120" screen, you will have more room from the bottom of the screen to the top of the projector so you will not lose available screen area. Your 133" is not made for UST projector so you are not using it to its full potential.
post #343 of 721 Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I also agree on getting rid of the your screen, and opt to get a 120 inch ALR. I had a similar screen to yours before getting my ALR, and I love the no-border look. I had a 3.5 inch black velvet border on each side on my old one. Sold it off.

If you're sticking with the screen, I wouldn't keep the projector with it. Seems odd having it on the floor like that. I like clean, minimal set ups, and you'll have wires everywhere.
post #344 of 721 Old 02-26-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 359
His screen is like mine. Has the thick velvet border as the frame. I was thinking about a UST but thought that the bottom border would get in the way of the projected picture. Is this true?

Also, my screen is not designed for a picture cast from below. I was hoping that the brightness of the projector would make up for this. Is this true and is the contrast affected?

Jack
post #345 of 721 Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee.dh View Post
I also agree on getting rid of the your screen, and opt to get a 120 inch ALR. I had a similar screen to yours before getting my ALR, and I love the no-border look. I had a 3.5 inch black velvet border on each side on my old one. Sold it off.

If you're sticking with the screen, I wouldn't keep the projector with it. Seems odd having it on the floor like that. I like clean, minimal set ups, and you'll have wires everywhere.
I initially had my eye on the Sony 4k projectors and figured the black borders would help mitigate the 4096 x 2160 projection side black bars when projecting UHD content, but when I saw reviews on this one with it's brightness and laser at this price point, and the fact that the current crop of Sony's couldn't handle 4k @60 fps without banding led me to try this as an option, temporarily co exist with my ceiling mounted 1080p 3D Sony projector , but increasingly it is becoming an either/or proposition. I would gladly return it to Dell and hold out for better alternative if I knew for a fact that the 15% restocking fee wouldn't apply because I really like the screen size, the black borders don't bother me once the lights go off and the ability to eat up 'overscan' is a bit possible plus, and I hadn't seriously considered UST in my theater as an alternative before, still not sure if that is the way to go based on this model alone, since the RBE (not visible to me admittedly), single HDMI 2.0 input and lack of 3D give me pause despite the brightness and sharp image quality thus far

post #346 of 721 Old 02-26-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
His screen is like mine. Has the thick velvet border as the frame. I was thinking about a UST but thought that the bottom border would get in the way of the projected picture. Is this true?

Also, my screen is not designed for a picture cast from below. I was hoping that the brightness of the projector would make up for this. Is this true and is the contrast affected?
My specific issue isn't as much with the black borders as it is how low my screen with barely a foot of clearance off of the floor, not allowing me to align the lowest edge of the UST image along the lowest edge of the screen, this projector is about 5-6" high, if you have at least 2 feet of clearance between the floor and your screen, you might be able to get the image to align along your lower edge without the border getting in the way, in my case I lack the clearance which means at best I get to align it with the top edge and while the image is still big, I am miffed at wasted screen space around the image, which is served well by my current ceiling mounted long throw projector. I doubt this will be an issue for most people, as for image quality, even with my current matte screen that isn't optimized for UST, I don't have complaints although I don't doubt that it could look better on one made for UST projectors

post #347 of 721 Old 02-26-2018, 05:17 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy View Post
The first photo of Arrow is with the ceiling light on. The second photo is with the light off but the light from the windows seeps through causing a fairly bright room with a lot of ambient light. The Thor scene is with the light off.

You will notice that the area where the sunlight hit the half of the screen cause washout of the picture. The area of the screen with less sunlight shows better contrast picture with better black and color.
how far under the screen does it have to sit. i need to know if i need a lower stand
post #348 of 721 Old 02-26-2018, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Greetings kaltek. Thanks for sharing the information.

My PC does not support 4k. Would you be kind enough to check if the projector supports 24,50 and 60Hz refresh rate at 1080p?

Many thanks and best regards,

post #349 of 721 Old 02-26-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quwone View Post
how far under the screen does it have to sit. i need to know if i need a lower stand
I bought a small coffee stand at Ikea for only $25 and had to cut the four legs off by 3.5 inches. Now the top of the stand is 14.25 inches above the ground. The bottom of my 120 inch CLR Elite Screen is 29.5 inches above the floor.
post #350 of 721 Old 02-27-2018, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Is anyone having issues with netflix hdr content on xbox one s with this projector? Whenever I watch hdr content in netflix it looks washed out and dull?
post #351 of 721 Old 02-27-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkcm View Post
Is anyone having issues with netflix hdr content on xbox one s with this projector? Whenever I watch hdr content in netflix it looks washed out and dull?
Make sure the Netflix app has the latest firmware via XBOX Live.

The settings screen in the XBOX menus should look like this one posted earlier in this thread.

Quote:

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462
post #352 of 721 Old 02-28-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
Make sure the Netflix app has the latest firmware via XBOX Live.

The settings screen in the XBOX menus should look like this one posted earlier in this thread.
I've tried every combination of the settings and firmware is up to date on all devices. I even went to plugging directly instead of through the AVR, still the same outcome. I have some new 18gb hdmi cables coming to try out, but I don't think it will resolve it. I get the crushed blacks issue only when the xbox one s goes into 4k mode. If i go in and select hdmi instead of auto for the source, then 1080p resolution the blacks come out fine in the calibration "Able to see the closed eye". As soon as I go back into 4k (auto detect mode) blacks crush. I was able to find something that makes me think its the xbox firmware. If I go into netflix running hdr, then switch back to the xbox calibration real quick the blacks are fine "can see the closed eye" but as soon as I change something the blacks go back to crushed again.
post #353 of 721 Old 02-28-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkcm View Post
I've tried every combination of the settings and firmware is up to date on all devices. I even went to plugging directly instead of through the AVR, still the same outcome. I have some new 18gb hdmi cables coming to try out, but I don't think it will resolve it. I get the crushed blacks issue only when the xbox one s goes into 4k mode. If i go in and select hdmi instead of auto for the source, then 1080p resolution the blacks come out fine in the calibration "Able to see the closed eye". As soon as I go back into 4k (auto detect mode) blacks crush. I was able to find something that makes me think its the xbox firmware. If I go into netflix running hdr, then switch back to the xbox calibration real quick the blacks are fine "can see the closed eye" but as soon as I change something the blacks go back to crushed again.
Do you have any other 4k streaming source like a Chromecast,fire stick or a Roku box you could try Netflix hdr on, to help determine perhaps if the XBox One X firmware is the culprit?

post #354 of 721 Old 02-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Have you noticed that there is a green tinge in coloration of the images from this projector? Is there a best setting to tone down the green tinge. Also, even when my large 60 GB 4K remux video file is played and set to output 4K on the projector, I still see banding with background that has one color like white or red. Shouldn't 4K source video file eliminate banding? I am using the Zidoo X10 media player to play the 4K remux video file.

Last edited by SanDiegoGuy; 02-28-2018 at 10:59 AM.
post #355 of 721 Old 02-28-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Do you have any other 4k streaming source like a Chromecast,fire stick or a Roku box you could try Netflix hdr on, to help determine perhaps if the XBox One X firmware is the culprit?

Not yet, I'm planning on getting a nvidia shield here soon to test with.
post #356 of 721 Old 03-01-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Greetings kaltek. Thanks for sharing the information.

My PC does not support 4k. Would you be kind enough to check if the projector supports 24,50 and 60Hz refresh rate at 1080p?

Many thanks and best regards,

Here you go, as I pack it up to return it , this was in the HDMI 1.4 input , shows 1080p 23 through 60 hz at full RGB it's a good projector, just not quite what I'm looking for. Good luck to those who buy it, very bright and sharp images for sure, I took a couple more videos from an LG UP970 that I'll upload, as others have mentioned, can't change image settings when displaying HDR content and feels a bit more green at times, that aside with the right screen, you can't go wrong with this one

post #357 of 721 Old 03-01-2018, 03:55 PM

Here are those clips as well

Batman v Superman UHD playback from an LG UP970 to the S718QL

and another scene from Valerian

My problem is that I have 7.2.4 atmos in my theater room but no 4K, and in my living room, 4K but not the sound I want.Was hoping to get there using this but I'm not prepared to replace my screen or adjust my expectations, all on me.

Good luck to those of you that opt for this projector with a good ALR screen as others have suggested, I'll await better 18 Gbps signal handling on the Sony's or perhaps an affordable laser long or short throw with lens shift which seems to be what I need, and hang on to my current 1080p until then. Cheers
post #358 of 721 Old 03-01-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Tilting didn't help. Extending the rear legs all the way while keeping the front leg screwed in barely got the projected image an inch lower, the angle of the tilt to get the image to align along the lower edge was acute, and the resulting image was severely trapezoidal, I didn't even attempt to keystone correct after that and decided to return.
post #359 of 721 Old 03-03-2018, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Some more observations, now that I have a proper screen up and have had a chance to really play around with it:
  1. MEMC adds a TON of input lag and makes gaming nearly impossible for anything that requires quick inputs (my demo was Forza Horizon 3 on the Xbox One X). Turning MEMC off allowed for reasonable gameplay, although there is still a perceptible amount of input lag. I would not recommend this for serious gaming, although I doubt anyone has considered it for that.
  2. Combined with a proper CLR/ALR screen, this guy pumps out light and is totally usable/viewable during bright daylight (my living room is fairly uncontrollable). I'm very happy with the brightness and therefore usability.
  3. The RBE is totally noticeable on white highlights within scenes/images, such as white/silver trim along a red car (...I was watching the last episode of the Grand Tour in 4K HDR last night...). It is a little distracting in that case. In other scenes, such as something with a white background, it is not noticeable at all. Overall, it isn't terrible, and for me it is acceptable.
  4. Colors are ok, but I think with the proper calibration it can look a lot better. There aren't a lot of options for calibrating, but I think it can be improved from stock/baseline. HDR programs disable most of the video controls, so options for a HDR calibration are severely limited.
  5. HDR doesn't 'pop' like you'd find on a LCD or OLED, but I didn't expect it to. Just throwing it out there in case someone was wondering!
That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer!
post #360 of 721 Old 03-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryyy View Post
The Elite CLR seems really well made, the screen is attached to the fame using scotch evenly across the frame it sites perfectly straight across all corners. the material also feels of quality compared to anything else i'v seen. I wouldn't go for a SI Screen fo UST thats throwing money to the toilet. The Aeon CLR feels top notch.
How much is the Elite 120"? How much is the SI Screen? I have the non short throw SI, thinking of getting this projector but hate thinking I have to buy a new SI screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page