Dell S718QL - 4K UHD Laser UST Announced - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 193Likes

post #361 of 709 Old 03-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy View Post
Yeah, I will keep this projector despite the RBE issue. I will wait for the Sony 4K laser UST to come down in price then will switch with it or wait for another type of 4K laser UST in the future (non single chip DLP to prevent RBE).

My 120 inch Aeon CLR Elite Screen is really low because it has to completely cover up my windows so I had to place the Dell projector really low. I got a nice coffee table at IKEA and had to shorten the 4 legs so the projector would lay low enough to cover the screen. I went to Home Depot to have those 4 legs cut off by 3.5 inches LOL.
The top of my altered coffee table is only 14.25 inches off the ground.

After much time spent on adjusting the coffee table and changing the setting of horizontal/vertical and keystone shift, the image fit close to perfect within the border of my 120" screen. My screen will be there at that position permanently and the only thing that will change will be the projector in the future.
what's your distance from the wall and distance top to bottom from the screen to throw the 120" I'm designing a custom shelf and hoping I have room to not be that low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 709 Old 03-04-2018, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
what's your distance from the wall and distance top to bottom from the screen to throw the 120" I'm designing a custom shelf and hoping I have room to not be that low.
From bottom of screen to the floor is 29.5 inches and from the wall to the back of the projector is 10 inches.
post #363 of 709 Old 03-04-2018, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
They have all the exact measurements on the S718QL manual, which you can find on Dell support site. In case you want to play around with different screen sizes and distances!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 709 Old 03-04-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap16 View Post
Some more observations, now that I have a proper screen up and have had a chance to really play around with it:
  1. MEMC adds a TON of input lag and makes gaming nearly impossible for anything that requires quick inputs (my demo was Forza Horizon 3 on the Xbox One X). Turning MEMC off allowed for reasonable gameplay, although there is still a perceptible amount of input lag. I would not recommend this for serious gaming, although I doubt anyone has considered it for that.
That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer!
What is MEMC and what does it stands for?
post #365 of 709 Old 03-04-2018, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
What is MEMC and what does it stands for?
Motion Estimation & Motion Compensation - it smooths the motion, but adds a borderline 'soap opera effect'. After playing around with it on different sources, I've decided to leave it off.
post #366 of 709 Old 03-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
From bottom of screen to the floor is 29.5 inches and from the wall to the back of the projector is 10 inches.
Thanks, was trying to decide if there's room for a center channel in between. I think i'll put the center above the screen if i go this route
post #367 of 709 Old 03-04-2018, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap16 View Post
Some more observations, now that I have a proper screen up and have had a chance to really play around with it:
  1. MEMC adds a TON of input lag and makes gaming nearly impossible for anything that requires quick inputs (my demo was Forza Horizon 3 on the Xbox One X). Turning MEMC off allowed for reasonable gameplay, although there is still a perceptible amount of input lag. I would not recommend this for serious gaming, although I doubt anyone has considered it for that.
  2. Combined with a proper CLR/ALR screen, this guy pumps out light and is totally usable/viewable during bright daylight (my living room is fairly uncontrollable). I'm very happy with the brightness and therefore usability.
  3. The RBE is totally noticeable on white highlights within scenes/images, such as white/silver trim along a red car (...I was watching the last episode of the Grand Tour in 4K HDR last night...). It is a little distracting in that case. In other scenes, such as something with a white background, it is not noticeable at all. Overall, it isn't terrible, and for me it is acceptable.
  4. Colors are ok, but I think with the proper calibration it can look a lot better. There aren't a lot of options for calibrating, but I think it can be improved from stock/baseline. HDR programs disable most of the video controls, so options for a HDR calibration are severely limited.
  5. HDR doesn't 'pop' like you'd find on a LCD or OLED, but I didn't expect it to. Just throwing it out there in case someone was wondering!
That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer!

Can you share you calibration settings? im running it through the oppo 205
post #368 of 709 Old 03-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryyy View Post
Can you share you calibration settings? im running it through the oppo 205
I ran the Disney WoW calibration through a xbox one s. The default settings seemed pretty spot on. I'm haveing a issue with black crush so I cant dial in the brightness contrast, but 50/50 set on those, and for color, temp on medium, and blue set to 62. I used the blue filter to calibrate the tint/hue.
post #369 of 709 Old 03-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkcm View Post
I ran the Disney WoW calibration through a xbox one s. The default settings seemed pretty spot on. I'm haveing a issue with black crush so I cant dial in the brightness contrast, but 50/50 set on those, and for color, temp on medium, and blue set to 62. I used the blue filter to calibrate the tint/hue.
Thank you
post #370 of 709 Old 03-10-2018, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubur View Post
Sorry didn't reply earlier, thanks for the details! Reading the entire Xiaomi and Dell threads, I realize I'm in exactly the same boat as SanDiegoGuy: I'm debating whether I go for the S718QL and spend $$ or if I opt for a more affordable 1080p UST that I would use for the next 1-2 years and make the jump to a $$ or $$$ awesome 4k UST. I have the feeling that this is just the beginning of 4k UST and that the next two years are going to bring greatness in that space. But I have a huge wall and a tiny 46" LCD TV that I want to replace... Decisions decisions...
I am on the same exact boat. I had been reading threads about the Xiaomi, Viewsonic LS820, and the Epson LS100. All of these are 1080P laser projectors. These projectors can act as a temporary projector until the 4K laser projectors gets better and comes down in price. I guess its between enjoying 4K now or later? Or if 1080p at 120" good enough for now and how much 4K is better than 1080P when watching at 12' distance etc etc. Hard decision.
post #371 of 709 Old 03-10-2018, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCD View Post
I am on the same exact boat. I had been reading threads about the Xiaomi, Viewsonic LS820, and the Epson LS100. All of these are 1080P laser projectors. These projectors can act as a temporary projector until the 4K laser projectors gets better and comes down in price. I guess its between enjoying 4K now or later? Or if 1080p at 120" good enough for now and how much 4K is better than 1080P when watching at 12' distance etc etc. Hard decision.
Life is short. Get any of these, based on available deals in your country, warranty, etc, and update in 1-2 years
post #372 of 709 Old 03-11-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambur123 View Post
Life is short. Get any of these, based on available deals in your country, warranty, etc, and update in 1-2 years
Yes, life is short....and better yet.... instead of getting those 1080p projector, just go for the the 4K Dell S718QL laser UST projector NOW.....then wait for 1-2 years and upgrade to a better laser 4K UST projector after you sell your Dell projector.

That is what I did :-)
post #373 of 709 Old 03-14-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCD View Post
A Dell review is out: https://www.projectorreviews.com/del...jector-review/.
Based on that, I'm going to skip it; I'm not willing to spend $5k on a "ok" movie projector. Noooow though, it means I'm going wait a little longer given the Optomo 4K UST (for which we know little about) is supposed to be released this Spring. Depending on how good it is, I'll either go for this one or fall back to the Xiaomi Ultra Short for the time being and make a jump to 4K in a year or two when good 4K UST don't cost $25k.
post #374 of 709 Old 03-14-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 714
@Bubur ,

Out of interest... What's in the "review" that you didn't like?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #375 of 709 Old 03-14-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
@Bubur ,

Out of interest... What's in the "review" that you didn't like?
Mostly that's it's a pretty good UST for everything not home theater related (classroom, etc.), but average for movies. I'd be ok spending about $10k for a very good UST, not so much to spend $5k for something average.
post #376 of 709 Old 03-15-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Mostly that's it's a pretty good UST for everything not home theater related (classroom, etc.), but average for movies. I'd be ok spending about $10k for a very good UST, not so much to spend $5k for something average.
That was an extremely technical review! But seemed to be overall positive. You can always keep waiting for the newest and latest projector. I think this projector is amazing at the price point for what's in the market right now. I've been luckily enjoying it for over 5 months now and I'm very happy with my purchase. I just watched the 4K Bluray of Blue Planet II on it and it was the most amazing experience.

I'm sure a 10K projector would be better. But whats stopping you from getting a 20K one that's even better than that one, or the $50K Sony one that's better that all of them?

I'm sure you could wait 1-1.5 years for the next best UST to come out, and this projector will be even at a lower price point by then. But for what's currently on the market, I think this is a good choice for a lot of people who need a UST.

Your "OK" movie experience is an amazing one in my books. I use it daily and don't think I'd get anything else right now if I had to choose again.
post #377 of 709 Old 03-15-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee.dh View Post
That was an extremely technical review! But seemed to be overall positive. You can always keep waiting for the newest and latest projector. I think this projector is amazing at the price point for what's in the market right now. I've been luckily enjoying it for over 5 months now and I'm very happy with my purchase. I just watched the 4K Bluray of Blue Planet II on it and it was the most amazing experience.

I'm sure a 10K projector would be better. But whats stopping you from getting a 20K one that's even better than that one, or the $50K Sony one that's better that all of them?

I'm sure you could wait 1-1.5 years for the next best UST to come out, and this projector will be even at a lower price point by then. But for what's currently on the market, I think this is a good choice for a lot of people who need a UST.

Your "OK" movie experience is an amazing one in my books. I use it daily and don't think I'd get anything else right now if I had to choose again.
This kind of feedback is also good to hear. I guess the fact that I'm brand new in the projectors world adds to the fact that I'm reluctant to spend $5k on a projector with very few reviews overall (and no way to see it in person). I'm very well aware that there will always be better, that's how technology works.
Also, to answer you question about what's stopping with: to get a $20k or a $50k: the price, big time. :P

More seriously, I have a sample material from Elite Screens coming at the end of the March and I'll be out end of March/early April, so I'll wait anyway until when I get back. I'll see what I do next.
post #378 of 709 Old 03-16-2018, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I have to agree with zee.dh. I use this projector as my daily living room setup. I am still amazed every time I turn it on. Plus you can't beat the price point compared to size for 4k hdr . I have since updated my whole speaker setup since posting a few months ago. Now with a 6.2.4 layout matched to a 120" screen, it blows away going to the movie theater imo.
post #379 of 709 Old 03-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
This kind of feedback is also good to hear. I guess the fact that I'm brand new in the projectors world adds to the fact that I'm reluctant to spend $5k on a projector with very few reviews overall (and no way to see it in person). I'm very well aware that there will always be better, that's how technology works.
Also, to answer you question about what's stopping with: to get a $20k or a $50k: the price, big time. :P

More seriously, I have a sample material from Elite Screens coming at the end of the March and I'll be out end of March/early April, so I'll wait anyway until when I get back. I'll see what I do next.
In my opinion, if you do get a $10k UST instead of this $5K Dell one...are you going to be able to tell a $5k difference in picture quality? I rather use that money on the screen, sound system, ambient room lighting, etc.

You can always keep waiting, but you should do what you think is right! If you don't think this projector is worth $5k, then that is your decision at the end of the day.
post #380 of 709 Old 03-16-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, if you do get a $10k UST instead of this $5K Dell one...are you going to be able to tell a $5k difference in picture quality? I rather use that money on the screen, sound system, ambient room lighting, etc.

You can always keep waiting, but you should do what you think is right! If you don't think this projector is worth $5k, then that is your decision at the end of the day.
Yeah, what I'd really like is be able to see say the Xiaomi and Dell in person. I only saw the Sony one and of course it looked amazing. I'm just having a hard time spending $5k on something I haven't seen and with few reviews. I do however plan to get the best screen I can find for my place.
post #381 of 709 Old 03-18-2018, 08:55 AM

I really enjoyed this Dell projector for about 1 month despite some of its flaws. I could not find any other 4K UST laser projector that is better at this price point. I invested in a good CRL 120 inch screen from Elite Screen with the intension that I will be using laser UST projector in the long run. All I will be doing in the future is buy a better laser UST projector. I will probably use my S718QL projector for another 2 years and will upgrade to a much better UST laser projector.

Oh, like torkcm, I have upgraded my audio system to a 5.1.4 atmos system. Sitting only about 10 feet away from the 120 inch screen, the movie experience is now at a theater level.
Troy LaMont likes this.

Last edited by SanDiegoGuy; 03-18-2018 at 09:03 AM.
post #382 of 709 Old 03-18-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@SanDiegoGuy ,

Out of interest... Has Dell released any software updates for this projector yet? As there may well be some improvements to come

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
post #383 of 709 Old 03-18-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
@SanDiegoGuy ,

Out of interest... Has Dell released any software updates for this projector yet? As there may well be some improvements to come
I am actually waiting and hoping that Dell will have a new firmware to improve the projector. I do not think they have a new firmware yet.
post #384 of 709 Old 03-18-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I really enjoyed this Dell projector for about 1 month despite some of its flaws. I could not find any other 4K UST laser projector that is better at this price point. I invested in a good CRL 120 inch screen from Elite Screen with the intension that I will be using laser UST projector in the long run. All I will be doing in the future is buy a better laser UST projector. I will probably use my S718QL projector for another 2 years and will upgrade to a much better UST laser projector.

Oh, like torkcm, I have upgraded my audio system to a 5.1.4 atmos system. Sitting only about 10 feet away from the 120 inch screen, the movie experience is now at a theater level.
I'm getting my receiver and 5.1.2 set up this week. I just had a quick question since I'm new to the audio side of things. When I connect the HDMI cable from the projector in to the receiver, does it support ARC? Or do I also need to plug in the optical cable from the projector to the receiver?
post #385 of 709 Old 03-18-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm getting my receiver and 5.1.2 set up this week. I just had a quick question since I'm new to the audio side of things. When I connect the HDMI cable from the projector in to the receiver, does it support ARC? Or do I also need to plug in the optical cable from the projector to the receiver?
Sadly, none of the HDMI inputs appear to be listed as having 'ARC': -

Sufficed to say, even if the projector did support HDMI ARC it wont support 'Atmos' or any other flavour of spacial audio. And neither will the SPDIF (optical) output.

You will however require an 'Premium' certified HDMI lead. Which you can get from here: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Cheers

post #386 of 709 Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Sadly, none of the HDMI inputs appear to be listed as having 'ARC': -

Sufficed to say, even if the projector did support HDMI ARC it wont support 'Atmos' or any other flavour of spacial audio. And neither will the SPDIF (optical) output.

You will however require an 'Premium' certified HDMI lead. Which you can get from here: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Cheers
Thanks so much for your explanation! So, running the Premium cable from the projector to the receiver will enable Atmos? I'm plugging a 4K Apple TV, Xbox X and a Zidoo X9S into my receiver.
post #387 of 709 Old 03-18-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for your explanation! So, running the Premium cable from the projector to the receiver will enable Atmos? I'm plugging a 4K Apple TV, Xbox X and a Zidoo X9S into my receiver.
No... You need a 'Premium' certified HDMI lead from your AVR to the projector in order to pass HDR 10-bit colour.

You'll only be able to hear Atmos if the content and the devices connected to your receiver support Atmos...

By-the-way... Have you checked that your proposed receiver supports 4K UHD with HDR pass-through? There's a lot to learn!

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 03-18-2018 at 11:56 AM.
post #388 of 709 Old 03-18-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
No... You need a 'Premium' certified HDMI lead from your AVR to the projector in order to pass HDR 10-bit colour.

You'll only be able to hear Atmos if the content and the devices connected to your receiver support Atmos...

By-the-way... Have you checked that your proposed receiver supports 4K UHD with HDR pass-through? There's a lot to learn!
That makes more sense! And yes, I got the Onkyo TX-RZ820 and Klipsch RP system. Got an amazing bundle deal, so couldn't pass it up. Had the Sonos system prior to. Was very, very unimpressed for the price of the system.
post #389 of 709 Old 03-22-2018, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
We're having some problems with this projector. Dell already tried to replace it and their support was no help. If you look at the following picture, it 'dips' in a U at the top of the screen. No amount of adjustment seems to be able to fix it.

1080p signal from a computer to HDMI1 on the projector. We use it for a conference room so the top line is pretty important. Any suggestions? Is this just what we should expect from an ultra short throw? For almost $5k, it would be going back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_uploaded_from_ios.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	4.81 MB
ID:	2379040  
post #390 of 709 Old 03-22-2018, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malken00 View Post
We're having some problems with this projector. Dell already tried to replace it and their support was no help. If you look at the following picture, it 'dips' in a U at the top of the screen. No amount of adjustment seems to be able to fix it.

1080p signal from a computer to HDMI1 on the projector. We use it for a conference room so the top line is pretty important. Any suggestions? Is this just what we should expect from an ultra short throw? For almost $5k, it would be going back.
I don't have this issue with mine - as long as the screen itself is flat, my image is square. Is your screen perfectly flat, or is it concave/curved inward?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page