Dell S718QL - 4K UHD Laser UST Announced - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 193Likes

post #691 of 710 Old 05-14-2019, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 710 Old 05-22-2019, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wanted to give an update.. I got my projector in today. Damn thing is massive and heavy compared to my little Optima GT700. First thing first it is truly very bright. So bright that as long as its not a dark scene you can pretty much always see the picture even with their is a ton of ambient light.

I noticed was the fan noise while running in 4k 60fps HDR. Its like a whine that stands out while playing movies. If I turn it down to 1080p it doesn't make this sound. I honestly don't know what "excellent color" but looks great compared to my Optima GT700.. Though I think anything would look great compared to it. I need to make a box to put the projector in along with the receiver and such. Also I can't tell if its my screen or the floor that needs adjusted but my level says it may be the screen though could of sworn I made the screen perfectly level.

Screen is 120" XY ambient light rejecting screen.

Wanted to give a showing of how much light is hitting the screen from the side.. I'm trying to get some sort of blinds/covers for the upper half at least.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190522_185547.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	575.1 KB
ID:	2570456

What the image looks like from the front with all that light hitting

Name:	IMG_20190522_185600.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	496.9 KB
ID:	2570454

Imagine with the light hitting from the side and all lights on in the room.(about 8 60w can lights)

Name:	IMG_20190522_190234.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	536.7 KB
ID:	2570452
LondonBenji and JamesYW like this.
post #693 of 710 Old 05-24-2019, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky_san View Post
Wanted to give an update.. I got my projector in today. Damn thing is massive and heavy compared to my little Optima GT700. First thing first it is truly very bright. So bright that as long as its not a dark scene you can pretty much always see the picture even with their is a ton of ambient light.

I noticed was the fan noise while running in 4k 60fps HDR. Its like a whine that stands out while playing movies. If I turn it down to 1080p it doesn't make this sound. I honestly don't know what "excellent color" but looks great compared to my Optima GT700.. Though I think anything would look great compared to it. I need to make a box to put the projector in along with the receiver and such. Also I can't tell if its my screen or the floor that needs adjusted but my level says it may be the screen though could of sworn I made the screen perfectly level.

Wanted to give a showing of how much light is hitting the screen from the side.. I'm trying to get some sort of blinds/covers for the upper half at least.

Attachment 2570456

What the image looks like from the front with all that light hitting

Attachment 2570454

Imagine with the light hitting from the side and all lights on in the room.(about 8 60w can lights)

Attachment 2570452

Looks pretty good. So I’m guessing those screenshots are 1080p? If so can you take one with a 4K image. And if you are able to take a dark image picture as well. Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 710 Old 05-24-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhotep6 View Post
Looks pretty good. So I’m guessing those screenshots are 1080p? If so can you take one with a 4K image. And if you are able to take a dark image picture as well. Looks great.

Pictures of the ambient light hitting the screen. Today was fairly bright out so lots of light coming in from two big windows and from our front door.

I will capture one tonight when its all dark. Also apologize for the crooked video soon was holding onto my leg and was trying my best just to keep it steady.. Phone doesn't have auto steady at 4k recording. Also it is actually darker than the video shows. I can't seem to get it to record a 1:1 image properly. Camera is constantly bringing in more light than it should.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190524_074539.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	2571046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190524_074549.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	2571048  
imhotep6 and JamesYW like this.

Last edited by Jerky_san; 05-24-2019 at 07:19 AM.
post #695 of 710 Old 05-24-2019, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
your screen looks great!
imhotep6 likes this.
post #696 of 710 Old 05-24-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
your screen looks great!
Thanks, I'm having trouble lining up the projector to the screen though.. Its mind numbingly hard. I have never owned a ultrashort throw but damn I didn't believe it would be this hard.

Here is a "dark" room with the preset on "presentation". I should probably try RGB since they claimed on reviews it was the closet to color.

Edit:

Below is RGB setting.. Also it makes like almost like a howling noise. I don't understand what it is either since if you put your head up to the fan vents you don't hear this noise so it's clearly not the fan. I think it might be the color wheel? Anyone else get a noise like that?

imhotep6, LondonBenji and JamesYW like this.

Last edited by Jerky_san; 05-24-2019 at 07:44 PM.
post #697 of 710 Old 05-24-2019, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, I'm having trouble lining up the projector to the screen though.. Its mind numbingly hard. I have never owned a ultrashort throw but damn I didn't believe it would be this hard.
honestly, i thought positioning the dell would be a snap, and i considered it to be a huge selling point, boy was i wrong, ha ha, so i feel your pain, of course i tried to go considerably larger than the recommended size which only made an already difficult task even tougher... i really don't know what folks without high ceilings do with ultra short throws if they want to go any bigger than 100", seems that you would need to dig a hole in your living room floor to make it work!

Quote:
Here is a "dark" room with the preset on "presentation". I should probably try RGB since they claimed on reviews it was the closet to color....

Below is RGB setting.. Also it makes like almost like a howling noise. I don't understand what it is either since if you put your head up to the fan vents you don't hear this noise so it's clearly not the fan. I think it might be the color wheel? Anyone else get a noise like that?
funny you should mention "presentation" mode... i'm still in the process of trying to figure out the best combination of settings that work best with all of my gear (htpc, lumagen pro, vertex, pj, honestly at this point i'm not sure i'll ever figure it out!)... during some testing i tired the benq's presentation mode while watching a movie and thought it looked great.

a couple of days later i was talking with a great / knowledgeable benq stateside tech guy who told me about an installation he had recently done at an observatory in l.a. using quite a few pjs, the same model i had purchased, said he dropped the ball given he forgot to take it out of presentation mode when he demonstrated how well the pj could perform with movies, it wasn't until 20 minutes or so into the movie he realized his error, and he added "whatever you do, make sure you don't use presentation mode when watching movies, it's not meant for movies, and won't look anywhere near as good as one of the movie modes".

back to the drawing board!

btw, what are you using to view that youtube hdr clip? it's not from an htpc by any chance is it?
post #698 of 710 Old 05-24-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
honestly, i thought positioning the dell would be a snap, and i considered it to be a huge selling point, boy was i wrong, ha ha, so i feel your pain, of course i tried to go considerably larger than the recommended size which only made an already difficult task even tougher... i really don't know what folks without high ceilings do with ultra short throws if they want to go any bigger than 100", seems that you would need to dig a hole in your living room floor to make it work!

funny you should mention "presentation" mode... i'm still in the process of trying to figure out the best combination of settings that work best with all of my gear (htpc, lumagen pro, vertex, pj, honestly at this point i'm not sure i'll ever figure it out!)... during some testing i tired the benq's presentation mode while watching a movie and thought it looked great.

a couple of days later i was talking with a great / knowledgeable benq stateside tech guy who told me about an installation he had recently done at an observatory in l.a. using quite a few pjs, the same model i had purchased, said he dropped the ball given he forgot to take it out of presentation mode when he demonstrated how well the pj could perform with movies, it wasn't until 20 minutes or so into the movie he realized his error, and he added "whatever you do, make sure you don't use presentation mode when watching movies, it's not meant for movies, and won't look anywhere near as good as one of the movie modes".

back to the drawing board!

btw, what are you using to view that youtube hdr clip? it's not from an htpc by any chance is it?
I think I figured out my positioning problem but have to figure out how to solve it. My floors are stained concrete and I'm a profectionist so so I made the screen perfectly level but the floor isn't. So now I have to level to the floor but even a minor adjustment does such major changes to the screen. Right now I have it bowing slightly at the top.

On the 4k HDR YouTube renders I am using a roku 4k ultra I picked up around Christmas. I've never owned anything that does HDR before so when it switched to it the first time I thought something was wrong. Also went through 6 HDMI cables before I found two that would show content without little pieces of distortion or flat out no signal. Really annoyed me that dell includes a cable that doesn't work with the equipment.

Now if I could just figure out where the sound is coming from. It's definitely not the fan so makes me wonder if something is defective. Also my pj came without a 2 version old firmware. Only one I could do was the one that requires the 9 pin. I can't find my cable from the switch days..
post #699 of 710 Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think I figured out my positioning problem but have to figure out how to solve it. My floors are stained concrete and I'm a profectionist so so I made the screen perfectly level but the floor isn't. So now I have to level to the floor but even a minor adjustment does such major changes to the screen. Right now I have it bowing slightly at the top.

On the 4k HDR YouTube renders I am using a roku 4k ultra I picked up around Christmas. I've never owned anything that does HDR before so when it switched to it the first time I thought something was wrong. Also went through 6 HDMI cables before I found two that would show content without little pieces of distortion or flat out no signal. Really annoyed me that dell includes a cable that doesn't work with the equipment.

Now if I could just figure out where the sound is coming from. It's definitely not the fan so makes me wonder if something is defective. Also my pj came without a 2 version old firmware. Only one I could do was the one that requires the 9 pin. I can't find my cable from the switch days..
i discovered that the dell and my benq didn't like the 4k60-444 600mhz hdr bt2020 i was ending it using my vertex splitter, neither projector could lock onto a signal, when i switched the output to, for example, 4k60-420 12-bit hdr bt2020 everything was golden.
post #700 of 710 Old 05-24-2019, 09:31 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
I may have missed it but which model number did you get? There seems to be a few options on their site and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?
post #701 of 710 Old 05-24-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
i discovered that the dell and my benq didn't like the 4k60-444 600mhz hdr bt2020 i was ending it using my vertex splitter, neither projector could lock onto a signal, when i switched the output to, for example, 4k60-420 12-bit hdr bt2020 everything was golden.
Interesting I'll have to see how I can do that either with my receiver or the roku(doubtful on the roku..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
I may have missed it but which model number did you get? There seems to be a few options on their site and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?
120" ALR PET Crystal Screen I don't believe I can say it in public.. at least whenever I see others talk about price it gets removed by mods..
LondonBenji likes this.
post #702 of 710 Old 05-25-2019, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Also went through 6 HDMI cables before I found two that would show content without little pieces of distortion or flat out no signal. Really annoyed me that dell includes a cable that doesn't work with the equipment.
This happened to me as well and since the included HDMI cable didn't work, I at first thought the projector's HDMI input was faulty. As for the noise you're hearing, I don't have that. The fans can get pretty loud in "Bright" video mode and with HDR. I recommend regularly vacuuming the projector sides (dust filters) and the bottom. Take note of the intake fan under the projector - it can get dusty in a relatively short time. I have to vacuum it every 2-3 weeks or so, forcing to reposition the projector afterwards. Cleaning that fan often helps with the fan noise in HDR mode ("Bright" video mode is always loud).

Which brings me to the positioning of an UST. As many have pointed out, it's very hard at first. Here's how I've learned to do it quickly:
1. Start by finding the center position for the projector (horizontally). Left and right sides of the image should be the same height. If the image is trapezoidal vertically, make it the width of the screen from the middle (by moving the projector).
2. Your floor may not be entirely in level with the screen, so you may need to adjust left or right "back feet" of the projector.
3. Next, fix the trapezoidal with the projector's "front foot". If the top of the screen is wider, lower the front of the projector (and vice versa). Here's where it can get tricky if your screen is installed low: USTs have a high vertical offset and it is not easy to lower the image (without resorting to keystone and/or tricky "back feet" adjustments). It's better to rather install your screen a tad too high (like 1-3 cm) than too low. Then you can simply open up the projector's "feet" more, allowing more fresh air to reach the cooling fan at the bottom, too.
4. All borders should now be the same size (i.e. image is not wider from the top or bottom, or higher from the left than right). If you now find the image is positioned too low, you can open up all three "feet" evenly.
5. Finding sharpest focus setting is easy when you get the hang of it: pick spots from both the center (projector menu) and a side (very left or right) of the screen. If you're pressing down from the remote and either of these spots start getting unsharp, start pressing up instead (and vice versa). You'll soon find the best (sharpest) setting.
6. Positioning image is easiest on a borderless screen (typically these are ALR/UST). Leave 0.5-1 cm of "borders" on each side (or more, if you wish). On an ALR screen it will automatically appear black (despite the fabric actually being gray, it's like magic). Trying to make the image exactly the same size as the screen (with no borders) is hard and I don't recommend it.

I'm still in the process of getting my screen installed to the correct height. It's currently hanging with a temporary solution and due to its 60 kg weight, needs at least 2-3 people to finish the installation. This is why I haven't posted any images of it, yet. It's a borderless 150" ALR screen from Screenline and the image looks fantastic. Way better than my previous white screen. But it is worth noting that these 0.8 gain screens will always darken the very brightest scenes a little. What I'm talking about is watching ice hockey, for example. With movies, not really. There are ALR screens with a gain of 1.5 but I believe they're all made for standard throw projectors and could hotspot with a ST (most likely unwatchable with an UST).

Quote:
what also intrigued me about the benq lk953st is that it's a short throw as opposed to an ultra short throw - this will allow me to mount it exactly where my current 1080p benq short throw is, as opposed to a very short distance from the screen.... in fact when i began looking at 4k laser pj i couldn't find any short throw options, which would have been my first choice, instead i could only find ust and standard distance options
This is exactly what I was looking for: a short throw instead of an UST. But there were no lasers available at the time. Now there are some, but the laser STs are pretty heavy for a ceiling mount (10-12 kg). I also have to admit there's a certain "wow factor" involved with owning an UST: since it's hidden behind the living room furniture (and super bright), the most common question I get is "is that a flat TV?". Some people turn their heads around trying to locate a projector (and failing), then asking me how much did my huge TV cost. It's entertaining, even if a regular short throw really was more practical for our living room.

Shame that you've had so many issues with your S718QL and Dell warranty. I absolutely agree that a projector this expensive has to work flawlessly. Most people build their whole home theater for less than that!
post #703 of 710 Old 05-25-2019, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Here is a "dark" room with the preset on "presentation". I should probably try RGB since they claimed on reviews it was the closet to color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyTt...ature=youtu.be

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfDV...ature=youtu.be

Wow. That looks awesome. Makes me regret not getting one when I had the chance a few weeks ago.

post #704 of 710 Old 05-25-2019, 08:56 AM

Here is another video showing how much ambient light is hitting the screen along with brightness then a viewing angle from the other side. Wish there was a way to make the screen show pitch black in light and you'd have basically a perfect screen.

imhotep6, LondonBenji and JamesYW like this.

Last edited by Jerky_san; 05-25-2019 at 09:19 AM.
post #705 of 710 Old 05-25-2019, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxer View Post
This is exactly what I was looking for: a short throw instead of an UST. But there were no lasers available at the time. Now there are some, but the laser STs are pretty heavy for a ceiling mount (10-12 kg). I also have to admit there's a certain "wow factor" involved with owning an UST: since it's hidden behind the living room furniture (and super bright), the most common question I get is "is that a flat TV?". Some people turn their heads around trying to locate a projector (and failing), then asking me how much did my huge TV cost. It's entertaining, even if a regular short throw really was more practical for our living room.

Shame that you've had so many issues with your S718QL and Dell warranty. I absolutely agree that a projector this expensive has to work flawlessly. Most people build their whole home theater for less than that!
i can easily see how an ust can offer a super "wow" factor if the room size works, in the sexy ads they look downright futuristic, absolutely beautiful, james-bondish even (altho i'm still not sure how one manages below screen positioning if they want to go big? seems that 100" or so is the ideal sweet spot). anyway, on top of having issues with it, i quickly found that my particular environment was all wrong for a ust, even if i got a replacement that was perfect i just don't think it would have worked for my needs (commercial install) in the long run... but for my home, i'm sure i would revisit a ust.

btw, fwiw, i'm still in the process of dialing in my short throw, but i can quickly see that it's not going to be as bright as the dell... the pj itself is plenty bright, extremely bright in fact, but all lumens talk aside, there's always going to be a big brightness difference between a pj that's a foot away from a screen vs 12 feet away from a screen in ambient to low light (imo)!
post #706 of 710 Old 05-25-2019, 02:13 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 108
That looks awesome! The problem is though, bright, colourful stuff isn't the weakness of projectors in ambient light, with a great screen like you have and a projector with 5000 lumens, it's easy to make stuff like that look great. More power can overcome ambient light.

It's dark scenes that are an issue during ambient light conditions, the black levels just get crushed into oblivion.
post #707 of 710 Old 05-25-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
That looks awesome! The problem is though, bright, colourful stuff isn't the weakness of projectors in ambient light, with a great screen like you have and a projector with 5000 lumens, it's easy to make stuff like that look great. More power can overcome ambient light.

It's dark scenes that are an issue during ambient light conditions, the black levels just get crushed into oblivion.
For my use case it will be mostly cartoons during the day and movies at night so I should be fine. Most kids movies are bright though there are a few like Aladdin and how to train your dragon. Kids generally don't seem to care anyways. Night time after he kids go to bed will be when I finally get to watch movies and stuff
leecox6178 likes this.

Last edited by Jerky_san; 05-25-2019 at 05:50 PM.
post #708 of 710 Old 05-26-2019, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I ordered two S718QL projectors last week after reading all the posts of this thread and researched other 4k projector options like BenQ, Optoma, Xiaomi, etc. The two projectors will have 5 years warranty and will be delivered on July 8th, according to Dell. They are for our classrooms. I will have to ceiling-mount them. We have whiteboards that professors write on and we cannot install fixed frame screens.

I am looking for 120-130" motorized tensioned screens. My budget for screens is $2-3k per screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #709 of 710 Old 05-27-2019, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
altho i'm still not sure how one manages below screen positioning if they want to go big? seems that 100" or so is the ideal sweet spot
In short: they don't. There is no way around the high vertical offset of these things. In most living rooms it will be the room height limiting your image size instead of your wall width. You cannot really lower the image, as tilting + keystone will just make it smaller (and pulling the projector back sets it higher again). Ceiling mounting needs a high room as the image will be projected 40-50 cm downwards (depending on the image size). 100" would work for most, 130" already has a vertical offset of 41.4 cm (from floor/ceiling) and 150" has 49 cm.

It's also worth noting that a good screen will reveal how brightness uniformity is not quite on par with USTs (when comparing with STs and standard throws). Dell S718QL is pretty good in this regard (measured at 72 % by Projector Central), but many have lower than 40-50 %. What this means is that the area right on top of the projector will appear brighter than the rest of the screen. Typically you can only see it in certain scenes and with the S718QL not even noticing it most of the time. But some USTs like the Optoma HZ40UST can be really bad in this regard. A basic white gain 1.0 screen will mostly mask the "effect" but a good ALR screen won't.

So this where regular short throws (ST) shine: most have no higher vertical offset than standard throws and brightness uniformity is generally excellent.
JamesYW likes this.
post #710 of 710 Old 07-17-2019, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Been a while since anyone's posted on here, which may be a good thing of owners are just enjoying their projectors.

I wondered if anyone had upgraded to the latest (3rd?) firmware update from the end of April? I hadn't done any more since trying the first one and only managing part as I don't have a RS232 cable (or socket on laptop).

Personally I'm enjoying my unit - but noisy sometimes but looking to improve airflow with some quiet fans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP