Optoma UHZ65 - 4K laser ($4,500 MSRP) - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 961Likes

post #1171 of 2094 Old 11-05-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
[quote=coug7669;55071260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
The reason I quoted you is that Nigel may not see your quote. I spent quite a bit of time with him at Cedia and he does care a lot about black level. We spent some time in the LG booth looking at OLEDs and discussing this.

Here is the link for ARROW-AV er Nigel. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post54789876

His own words Ericglo and I hope one does not think I took his quote out of context.
I see what he is saying, but I will let Nigel give his response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norixone View Post
I am not sure what model of Barco it was, but I recently saw Blade Runner 2049 and the image seemed to be quite dark, but contrast not that good. Again, I am not even sure the projector used in that cinema was actually a Barco as it is known for having all Sony's 2 and 4K. If you look at the specifications they give on their site it should be a Sony 4K in that therater, but at the beginning of the film they showed the Barco promo. The image was more similar to a DLP than an Lcos when I was watching the promos so I guess they did opt for a Barco. This cinema is not particularly good and I only go when obliged by my friends. However I saw on Tuesday Thor Ragnarok in an Imax with 4k laser DLP 3D and it was amazing. The best 3D experience so far.

Ok, it should be noted that Barco sells a range of projectors. I think most of their cinema pjs are in the $100k to $200k range and still have a bulb. Most of these pjs would be in the 1k to 2k range of on/off cr.

The Barco laser IIRC had to be modified with an iris to get the higher native contrast with the cost of light output. I believe this is what Wolgang did. Obviously if you have the light to spare then it isn't as big of a deal.

Right now, the Dolby Christie is probably the best video pj out. Unfortunately it is expensive and can't be purchased anyway.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2094 Old 11-05-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
[quote=Ericglo;55073220]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coug7669 View Post

I see what he is saying, but I will let Nigel give his response.

Ok, it should be noted that Barco sells a range of projectors. I think most of their cinema pjs are in the $100k to $200k range and still have a bulb. Most of these pjs would be in the 1k to 2k range of on/off cr.

The Barco laser IIRC had to be modified with an iris to get the higher native contrast with the cost of light output. I believe this is what Wolgang did. Obviously if you have the light to spare then it isn't as big of a deal.

Right now, the Dolby Christie is probably the best video pj out. Unfortunately it is expensive and can't be purchased anyway.
I'm hoping features like a contrast-boosting iris makes it down to lower cost projectors. BenQ already has a 5000 lumen projector out at $10k, we could likely sacrifice 35% of those lumens for contrast (like Digital Projection does in their HC models) and still have lots leftover.
post #1173 of 2094 Old 11-05-2017, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Contrast is part of a good picture but so is color brightness and fidelity and definition.The obsession with contrast is overdone by some . You can have a great contrast ratio but if the whole picture is dimmer that advantage is lost. 4k blows 1080p away on a big screen and its not even close .Optoma is going to sell alot of these and JVC needs to upgrade their projectors or see their sales fall significantly. Right now JVC and EPSON are yesterdays news.
The only thing saving them right now is the relative lack of 4k content available That will be changing relatively quickly
steakhouse_ and John Nemesh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 2094 Old 11-06-2017, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know if the next BIOS update will require sending in to Optoma, or will it be end-user applicable. It seems there are discussions about the UHD60/65 that people have to send their units in to the factory for an update (for better 24p support). Has this already been done on the UHZ65? I am just wondering if I should wait until all the units have the updated BIOS (if there even is one) before purchasing.
post #1175 of 2094 Old 11-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
UHZ65 Owner

I'll be receiving and calibrating my UHZ65 tomorrow, will report in soon after.

Bonus: My father has a nearly identical basement HT setup with an almost new and professionally calibrated JVC DLA-X770R. I bought the UHZ65 because I'm a sucker for lasers, but I'll happily return it if it doesn't measure up.

In the meantime, I support what most of the same people in this thread have been saying; if you don't own/aren't interested in owning/compulsively feel the need to justify whatever projector you own by saying it's better than a projector you have absolutely zero experience with, please find another thread to derail.
post #1176 of 2094 Old 11-06-2017, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
Let's get back to tech. discussion of Optoma projector(s) and not theory as why people buy X projector, cheer leading brands and moderators.

Posts deleted if it was off topic or you were quoting/responding to an off topic post.
post #1177 of 2094 Old 11-06-2017, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2181 Post(s)
Liked: 4089
And, for the record, I don't own a JVC anything.
rboster likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1178 of 2094 Old 11-06-2017, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyTrevor View Post
I'll be receiving and calibrating my UHZ65 tomorrow, will report in soon after.

Bonus: My father has a nearly identical basement HT setup with an almost new and professionally calibrated JVC DLA-X770R. I bought the UHZ65 because I'm a sucker for lasers, but I'll happily return it if it doesn't measure up.

In the meantime, I support what most of the same people in this thread have been saying; if you don't own/aren't interested in owning/compulsively feel the need to justify whatever projector you own by saying it's better than a projector you have absolutely zero experience with, please find another thread to derail.
Are you going to have your Optoma professionally calibrated? If so, I would LOVE to hear your impressions pre and post-calibration!
Yves Smolders and woodhead2 like this.
post #1179 of 2094 Old 11-06-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Unfortunately for us he’s probably fed up with all the negative feedback he’s been getting. Sadly this has always been the case here. I stopped posting my thoughts years ago on this forum because it just not worth the hassle of having to go back and forth with some of these people. I’ve never understood why some people just like to ruin it for others and its seems like the ones who never intend to buy one anyways.
Not completely fed up, but remembering why I left AVS forums years ago...some people here and their associated attitudes bug the living S*** out of me! (people who think MSRP is a "rip off", people who think brand "X" is better than brand "Y" and can't stand to see anyone enjoy brand "y", people who dissect every last spec trying to find fault with a product, failing to remember the price point of the product in questions, etc).

I am VERY happy with my purchase, and I have a LOT of dealers impressed with the UHZ65 as well. I think anyone who owned one would love it! It does have some limitations, and may or may not be the best buy for YOU in the $4500 price range, but for MY application, I think it's the best I could hope for...other than the $35k JVC Laser Projector. Hey, I gotta aspire to something for the future!
post #1180 of 2094 Old 11-06-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nemesh View Post
Are you going to have your Optoma professionally calibrated? If so, I would LOVE to hear your impressions pre and post-calibration!
Yep. Just have to find a good tech in the Indianapolis area.

I'll definitely be noting differences pre and post calibration, particularly regarding brightness/lumens per foot.
post #1181 of 2094 Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not completely fed up, but remembering why I left AVS forums years ago...some people here and their associated attitudes bug the living S*** out of me! (people who think MSRP is a "rip off", people who think brand "X" is better than brand "Y" and can't stand to see anyone enjoy brand "y", people who dissect every last spec trying to find fault with a product, failing to remember the price point of the product in questions, etc).

I am VERY happy with my purchase, and I have a LOT of dealers impressed with the UHZ65 as well. I think anyone who owned one would love it! It does have some limitations, and may or may not be the best buy for YOU in the $4500 price range, but for MY application, I think it's the best I could hope for...other than the $35k JVC Laser Projector. Hey, I gotta aspire to something for the future!
I'm really happy about this as it is promising for the future of 4k laser dlp!
post #1182 of 2094 Old 11-07-2017, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
I think anyone who owned one would love it! It does have some limitations, and may or may not be the best buy for YOU in the $4500 price range, but for MY application, I think it's the best I could hope for...other than the $35k JVC Laser Projector. Hey, I gotta aspire to something for the future!
What would you say are the greatest short comings of this projector in terms of image. I think it s clear that no 3D support and limited position felxibility are going to be a deal breaker for some, but what I am really interested in is its performance in terms of image and rendition of HDR. Problems with 24p as seen on some other XPR projector.
Have you had the chance to compare it to s Sony 260/285, which is probably the closest to this pj?
post #1183 of 2094 Old 11-07-2017, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Optoma UHZ65 - 4K laser ($5,000 MSRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyTrevor View Post
Yep. Just have to find a good tech in the Indianapolis area.

I'll definitely be noting differences pre and post calibration, particularly regarding brightness/lumens per foot.

Without question the very best calibrator in Indy, and probably just about anywhere else, is Ken Whitcomb. Search him in the ISF Calibrators thread here or find his contact info at www.imagingscience.com

Please report back your results. I'd love to hear what he can do with the uhz65. I've just sold a few but haven't had anyone report back calibration results yet. I have a client that may be having his sent to me first for calibration. I'm really hoping that happens as I want to see one of these and what they can do myself in person, especially if I can do some HarperVision tweaks.

I may just grab one myself because it looks like my HarperVision modded and ISF Calibrated Epson LS10500 was just sold.

PS - Ken's forum ID is @D6500Ken (without the @ sign) here on AVS if you want to send him a PM to see if he can do your calibration.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 11-07-2017 at 01:06 AM.
post #1184 of 2094 Old 11-07-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone have one of these and also THE DARK KNIGHT Blu-ray?
post #1185 of 2094 Old 11-08-2017, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Anyone have one of these and also THE DARK KNIGHT Blu-ray?
A well known black level acid test. Nice.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two face.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	2311944  
rprice54 likes this.
post #1186 of 2094 Old 11-08-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
What would you say are the greatest short comings of this projector in terms of image. I think it s clear that no 3D support and limited position felxibility are going to be a deal breaker for some, but what I am really interested in is its performance in terms of image and rendition of HDR. Problems with 24p as seen on some other XPR projector.
Have you had the chance to compare it to s Sony 260/285, which is probably the closest to this pj?
If you are really fussy about image quality, you will probably be better served with something like a JVC. Color is good, blacks are good, overall image quality I would say is very good...but it has it's limitations. If sensitive to rainbow effect, you will notice it on this projector. That's probably a biggie for a lot of people here. Contrast (real world, using "Dynamic Black") is great, but NATIVE contrast isn't as good as other projectors in it's price range. (I prefer actual VISIBLE results to test measurements...) There is a dropoff in brightness at the edges of the picture...the optics could be better...but again, it's a $4500 projector, not a $10,000 one. The way it handles 24fps content might bother others...I am not as sensitive to the problem.

To MY eyes, the picture is nice and bright, has plenty of "pop", even in high ambient light situations, and it's laser lamp means I can use it as a PRIMARY display. These benefits overrule the negatives for ME. I could have purchased a 420 JVC with 2 spare lamps for the same price...I wouldn't have taken it...because even though the JVC has better contrast, a 3 chip system (no rainbows), more placement flexibility, and overall, a better picture in a dedicated theater...in my LIVING ROOM, the Optoma made more sense. Hope this helps!
Aztar35 likes this.
post #1187 of 2094 Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 AM

Setting up today now that my screen is here.

First impressions: this projector is VERY bright. It will have 0 problems being used during the day even with a lot of ambient light. I am extremely impressed with the color quality and image clarity with the out-of-the-box settings. I do agree with what others have said about the black levels versus the JVC my father owns, but I won't really be able to evaluate that accurately until after dark. We will see, but I think the color range is going to be better on the Optoma once calibrated. During the day with ambient light it would be absolutely no contest, but I bet the results will be a lot closer with less ambient light.

I can return the unit with no restocking fee, so I'm certainly not beholden to the UHZ65 if it doesn't meet my expectations.
Troy LaMont and Aztar35 like this.
post #1188 of 2094 Old 11-08-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:

If you are really fussy about image quality, you will probably be better served with something like a JVC. Color is good, blacks are good, overall image quality I would say is very good...but it has it's limitations. If sensitive to rainbow effect, you will notice it on this projector. That's probably a biggie for a lot of people here. Contrast (real world, using "Dynamic Black") is great, but NATIVE contrast isn't as good as other projectors in it's price range. (I prefer actual VISIBLE results to test measurements...) There is a dropoff in brightness at the edges of the picture...the optics could be better...but again, it's a $4500 projector, not a $10,000 one. The way it handles 24fps content might bother others...I am not as sensitive to the problem.

To MY eyes, the picture is nice and bright, has plenty of "pop", even in high ambient light situations, and it's laser lamp means I can use it as a PRIMARY display. These benefits overrule the negatives for ME. I could have purchased a 420 JVC with 2 spare lamps for the same price...I wouldn't have taken it...because even though the JVC has better contrast, a 3 chip system (no rainbows), more placement flexibility, and overall, a better picture in a dedicated theater...in my LIVING ROOM, the Optoma made more sense. Hope this helps!
Thank you. Great to know that dynamic black works well and it is what I was hoping for. I am still concerned about RBE and 24p. And how bad would you say is brightness uniformity? The 285 gets up to 85% which is very good and usually should not become an issue when watching real world content
post #1189 of 2094 Old 11-08-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Currently have a UHD65 and thinking about selling and getting a UHZ65 as I am not all that happy with the brightness I have now. Anyone out there compare the two?
post #1190 of 2094 Old 11-08-2017, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 394
I'm surprised there has been no professional reviews for this projector yet...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #1191 of 2094 Old 11-08-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. Great to know that dynamic black works well and it is what I was hoping for. I am still concerned about RBE and 24p. And how bad would you say is brightness uniformity? The 285 gets up to 85% which is very good and usually should not become an issue when watching real world content
Uhz65 uses same lens as UHD65 I believe, which was measured around 70-75%
post #1192 of 2094 Old 11-09-2017, 12:14 AM

[QUOTE=Ruined;55092630]
Quote:
Uhz65 uses same lens as UHD65 I believe, which was measured around 70-75%
If that turns out to be the case I doubt I will be purchasing the Uhz.
post #1193 of 2094 Old 11-09-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
It's on par with the UHD60/65...I think I read the measurement was about 85%. It's not terrible.
post #1194 of 2094 Old 11-09-2017, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Per Optoma specifications it's 75%.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #1195 of 2094 Old 11-09-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
It's on par with the UHD60/65...I think I read the measurement was about 85%. It's not terrible.
John, I was wondering if you could comment on how HDR looks on this PJ. Does the picture with UHD discs look bright OTB or do you have to tweak the controls a bit?
post #1196 of 2094 Old 11-09-2017, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
10 bit color depth supported?

Purchased the UHZ65 and like the picture, but feel that I am not quite getting the potential range of colors. Perhaps a new owner can help. Equipment: UHZ65 projector, Panasonic DMP-UB900 BD player, Yamaha A3060 A/V, RUIPRO HDMI Fiber Cable 20 feet Light High Speed Support 18.2 Gbps 4K at 60Hz HDMI 2.0. I connected fiber cable to A/V receiver and also directly to BD player, but in all instances I get only 8 bit color depth (Wonder Woman UHD disk) from projector. I use projector information option to determine color bit depth. Projector is supposed to support expanded color space (HDR10), which requires at least 10 bit color depth, but can only get 8 bit. What am I doing wrong? I have tried UB900 formats at both 24Hz and 60 Hz but nothing seems to work. I have asked Optoma these same questions. The RUIPRO cable is supposed to support the resolution requirements with ease.
post #1197 of 2094 Old 11-09-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ered View Post
Purchased the UHZ65 and like the picture, but feel that I am not quite getting the potential range of colors. Perhaps a new owner can help. Equipment: UHZ65 projector, Panasonic DMP-UB900 BD player, Yamaha A3060 A/V, RUIPRO HDMI Fiber Cable 20 feet Light High Speed Support 18.2 Gbps 4K at 60Hz HDMI 2.0. I connected fiber cable to A/V receiver and also directly to BD player, but in all instances I get only 8 bit color depth (Wonder Woman UHD disk) from projector. I use projector information option to determine color bit depth. Projector is supposed to support expanded color space (HDR10), which requires at least 10 bit color depth, but can only get 8 bit. What am I doing wrong? I have tried UB900 formats at both 24Hz and 60 Hz but nothing seems to work. I have asked Optoma these same questions. The RUIPRO cable is supposed to support the resolution requirements with ease.
The cable can definitely make the difference. I have 5 "high speed" HDMI cables ranging from very cheap to a $60 Monster cable, and only 2 of them will pass a 2160p/60hz signal with 10-bit HDR enabled. A lot of websites/people will tell you that you can't have 10-bit HDR at 4k resolution with a faster refresh rate than 30hz, but that isn't true. I played Mass Effect: Andormeda at 3840x2160 with full 10-bit HDR at 60fps/60hz from my PC to my Samsung tv. The same cable I used for that (the $60 Monster cable) allows the same signal on the UHZ65.

I didn't believe that the cable could actually make that difference (especially after reading that 3840x2160 at 60hz with full 10-bit HDR was impossible with current HDR standards), but it can. I bought the cable at Best Buy where I could return it if it didn't work, but it did.

I might have time to write up a review of the UHZ65 tonight. It will be far from a professional review, but I can definitely say I won't be returning the UHZ65 in favor of another projector at this point. I'm super happy with it in almost every respect, and I don't think the "deficiencies" a lot of people said it would probably have are really there. Black levels are much better than expected, brightness uniformity is great, and I can't see any RBE (which I am only mildly sensitive to). The asterisk here is that I'm not a pro, this is all just to my eyes (20/12 vision). If I didn't know better I probably wouldn't guess that it's "FauxK", the level of detail is incredible.

I'll post a more detailed review at some point soon.
Aztar35 likes this.
post #1198 of 2094 Old 11-09-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
When you click on the window for playback info in the UB900 what does it say is coming in and going out. You want to make sure the Panny is not set to SDR. If that's all and well, try bypassing your receiver to see what happens. Good luck.

P.S. ...double-check that you are actually playing the UHD and not the BD for WW.
post #1199 of 2094 Old 11-09-2017, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
What's the UB900 report that it's sending? It's got a pretty robust info screen that lists all that info (bit depth, format, etc)
post #1200 of 2094 Old 11-09-2017, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
10 bit depth?

Use the information panel of the Panasonic to check what is coming in/going out, and tried both 4K/24p and 4K/60p, depending on output settings. The UHD blu ray provides 4K/24p native at 10 bits (the standard), and I have tried both 4K/24p and 4K/60p output modes. 4K/24p mode outputs at 12 bits, but still shows as 8 bits on projector information screen, while 4K/60p is forced after query from UB900 to UHZ65 to 4:2:0 at 8 bits. It seems as if the projector is defaulting to 8 bits, regardless of settings in UB900. It is also possible that the UHZ65 information screen in not being updated correctly as there seems to be mistakes in some of the fields displayed. Regardless, none of my UB900 outputs have changed the picture. I have used several UHD cables of length 6' to connect UB900 to UHZ65 directly and get the same results...don't think it is a cable problem with all the 3 cables being bad, one being a fiber optic.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page