Optoma UHZ65 - 4K laser ($4,500 MSRP) - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 961Likes

post #1231 of 2094 Old 11-11-2017, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Dave interested in your impressions on the unit and comparisons to other 4k/EShift projectors (Sony, Epson, JVCs). Did you get that DLP "Pop" look? How is the panning in scenes? On my current trusty Marantz DLP 1080p projector pans have no judder which is great. So don't want to take a step back.
I too would be interested in owners of this how it compares in 4k HDR pop to other non-DLP projectors.

As well as the motion part, whether this pj can do native 24p or not. I know that TI came out with the toolkit to allow native 24p with 4k in late august of this year, but that may have been too far into the UHZ65's manufacturing to develop and apply an update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 2094 Old 11-12-2017, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
I too would be interested in owners of this how it compares in 4k HDR pop to other non-DLP projectors.

As well as the motion part, whether this pj can do native 24p or not. I know that TI came out with the toolkit to allow native 24p with 4k in late august of this year, but that may have been too far into the UHZ65's manufacturing to develop and apply an update.

Yes it does 24 P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chip
post #1233 of 2094 Old 11-12-2017, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks like we are starting to get some good momentum on this board for this projector. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions as I decide on my next display device.
woodhead2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 2094 Old 11-12-2017, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbadog View Post
Yes it does 24 P

I know it accepts 24p but have you checked the cadence output/judder?

For instance the UHD65 says it's doing 24p but it's in reality upconverting 24p to 60p via 3:2 pull down.

Last edited by Ruined; 11-12-2017 at 06:24 AM.
post #1235 of 2094 Old 11-13-2017, 04:53 AM

Quote:
I know it accepts 24p but have you checked the cadence output/judder?

For instance the UHD65 says it's doing 24p but it's in reality upconverting 24p to 60p via 3:2 pull down.

Not sure how to do that. Motion appears very smooth to me , but I do have the frame interpolation setting turned on

Chip
post #1236 of 2094 Old 11-13-2017, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbadog View Post
Not sure how to do that. Motion appears very smooth to me , but I do have the frame interpolation setting turned on

Yeah it does look good with PureMotion 1 if it's like the uhd65 but was hoping they added 48hz 24p, which would be relatively smooth with pure motion disabled.
post #1237 of 2094 Old 11-13-2017, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sorry everybody, got busy finishing my move so I didn't have much time to dedicate to the HT setup.

HDR: As some others have mentioned, the colors "pop" a little TOO much with the out of the box settings. The colors were incredible, but too saturated. If someone was wearing a red or blue shirt it looked like they were glowing with HDR turned on. After some tweaking, the HDR effect is excellent. I would recommend turning off PureColor and manually tweaking the color levels, but PureColor at 1 or 2 is good if you don't want to calibrate yourself.

24hz Video: Perfect with PureMotion set to 1 or 2. I personally prefer it set to 1. I've never read about this to confirm, but it seems as though my wife and I can see a different number of frames per second. It's almost unbearable for me to watch things at 24hz/24fps. I can't play video games at 30fps at all. If I do, I get the "third leg" effect when people are walking and when there are small, fast-moving objects onscreen it looks like the classic Windows "mouse trail" effect. Sorry I don't know the correct terms for what I'm talking about. Because of that, I'm not the person to ask about 24fps performance since it ALWAYS looks bad to me, even in theaters. All that aside, the PureMotion setting completely alleviates my issues. Keep in mind that if you use it to make a 30fps video game smoother it does a great job, but introduces too much lag for most games.

Black Levels: Despite all the complaints I've read (mostly by people that have never seen one of these projectors in person), the black levels are great AFTER some tweaking/calibrating. They were good, but not great out of the box. If you're willing to put some time in adjusting the image settings, I think 98% of people will be happy with the black levels.

4k/Pixel Density/Image Clarity: As I said before, I wouldn't have guessed this wasn't a "real" 4k projector. I don't think anyone will have an issue with the image quality. Even playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (which is a great test for higher resolution monitors), I was extremely impressed. I was playing in Game Mode as well, which does make a big difference in lag.

Input Lag/Response Time: This projector would be suitable to play even first person shooters and other games that demand very fast response times, but probably not competitively. If you play CounterStrike for a living you aren't going to be happy with it, but I'm not a competitive gamer and I was very happy with the performance in game mode. On this note, keep in mind many A/V receivers will introduce quite a bit of lag on their own. I have my PS4 Pro and a gaming PC plugged directly into the projector and use an optical cable to get sound to the A/V receiver. If I run them through the receiver I definitely get more lag, and that's with a Denon AVR-S730H. Other receivers may have less issue here, but I thought it was worth noting for those interested in 4k gaming on this projector. Also worth noting; the projector will take a 4k/60hz signal with 10-bit HDR enabled if you can convince the source to output that way. Works best with a PC.

Noise Level: Very low. I couldn't give you a dB measurement, but I wouldn't worry about noise levels. Maybe another owner can chime in on that front.

Complaints: The white levels weren't easy to get to where I was happy. I'm not sure how to describe the effect in technical terms, but there were issues with white objects against a bright color (like clouds) looking blocky and pixelated out of the box. I was able to resolve the issue, but this was the one area where I was not impressed with the out of the box settings. You also don't get much in the way of lens shift, so make sure you mount the projector in the right place the first time. The unit also doesn't power on as fast as I'd like for a laser-based projector, but that's a minor gripe.

I'm still learning my way around this projector, and I will still be getting it calibrated (probably by Ken Whitcomb) once my wallet recovers a bit from buying a new house/etc. For now, I can say that this is an awesome projector if you want to get in early on the 4k projection game, and it's great knowing it has the reliability and flexibility of a laser-based light source. I'd definitely recommend it over a UHD65 or UHD60 if you can swing it, the performance is quite a bit better and of course you won't have to change lamps.

Last edited by CoreyTrevor; 11-13-2017 at 10:05 AM.
post #1238 of 2094 Old 11-14-2017, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So if I have the opportunity to buy an Optoma between these two which would you recommend?
This is for a basement theatre room and I am looking for true 4K but didn’t want to spend 6000 on a Sony?

optoma uhd65 vs uhd60?

Or is there another model recommended

post #1239 of 2094 Old 11-15-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisgroot View Post
So if I have the opportunity to buy an Optoma between these two which would you recommend?
This is for a basement theatre room and I am looking for true 4K but didn’t want to spend 6000 on a Sony?

optoma uhd65 vs uhd60?

For a dark, dedicated theater room the UHD65 is a notably superior choice over the UHD60.
post #1240 of 2094 Old 11-15-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisgroot View Post
S

Yes, for DLP along these lines, I would get the UHZ65. It's under $6,000 USD. This is the UHZ thread, so just read in this thread and compare with the UHD60 /65 thread.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #1241 of 2094 Old 11-15-2017, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Any of you guys with hands on this PJ been able to compare it to a e-shifter like JVC/Epson?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1242 of 2094 Old 11-16-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyTrevor View Post
It's almost unbearable for me to watch things at 24hz/24fps. I can't play video games at 30fps at all. If I do, I get the "third leg" effect when people are walking and when there are small, fast-moving objects onscreen it looks like the classic Windows "mouse trail" effect. Sorry I don't know the correct terms for what I'm talking about. Because of that, I'm not the person to ask about 24fps performance since it ALWAYS looks bad to me, even in theaters. All that aside, the PureMotion setting completely alleviates my issues. Keep in mind that if you use it to make a 30fps video game smoother it does a great job, but introduces too much lag for most games.
Hi There.
I feel the same way, but when I said this on the Sony threads I originally got lambasted for daring to watch 24hz material in 50 or 60hz.
To me it always looks better and more fluid at HFRs.
I would love for all video to be at the highest frame rates possible and am looking forward to more 60hz material.

The problems on the Sony's id that motion processing is not available on 4k material. (Except 760 and 5000)

Cheers.
Yves Smolders likes this.
post #1243 of 2094 Old 11-17-2017, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Preset profile and calibration result of UHC68 in Taiwan equal to UHZ65 .

http://www.myav.com.tw/bbs/showthrea...eadid=20480755

MyAv [email protected]
Anthem AVM60/QSC DCA 1644*3/BDP-S780/Viewsonic pro8200/Klipsch UltraII/Rythmik FV15HP
post #1244 of 2094 Old 11-17-2017, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Chen View Post
Preset profile and calibration result of UHC68 in Taiwan equal to UHZ65 .

http://www.myav.com.tw/bbs/showthrea...eadid=20480755
Looks like it outputs a great picture. Unfortunately, none of the settings used to get to that calibration are showing up on the web page.
post #1245 of 2094 Old 11-17-2017, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
I added this projector to the projector calculator.

www.webprojectorcalculator.com

(Please use Chrome as other browsers are not currently supported)
Tuan and woodhead2 like this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 11-17-2017 at 04:32 AM.
post #1246 of 2094 Old 11-17-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi There.
I feel the same way, but when I said this on the Sony threads I originally got lambasted for daring to watch 24hz material in 50 or 60hz.
To me it always looks better and more fluid at HFRs.
I would love for all video to be at the highest frame rates possible and am looking forward to more 60hz material.

The problems on the Sony's id that motion processing is not available on 4k material. (Except 760 and 5000)

Cheers.
That's because using 60hz for 24hz material gives you judder at worst case, best case the projector's processing recognizes the cadence and "undoes" the 60hz rate and resyncs at, hopefully, a multiple of 24hz. The only other alternative is interpolation.

It appears this projector doesn't have a native frame rate that is a multiple of 24hz, so it'll always have some judder unless it performs interpolation, which will create "fake" frames and, thus, has artifacts of its own.

Anyone who wants "fidelity" (in the truest sense of the word) for their 24hz material wants to send as 24hz and display at a multiple of 24hz (i.e. no judder no interpolation).

This is, yet another, preference vs. reference thing. There's no "right answer", but there is only one way that is true to the original source (and it's not yours, lol).
post #1247 of 2094 Old 11-17-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
It is called Inverse Telecine.
http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/te...verse_telecine

Some projectors have a mode to attempt to reverse it (sometimes in CMD, sometimes auto-detected and they don't tell you), but it doesn't seem to work that well on the JVC (at least the older ones). I have several streaming devices that force the 30/60hz, which is a bit more problematic on the JVC for some reason than my DLP's. It depends on the projector to how bad/good it handles it.

Note:
Lately, people seem to be overly sensitive about their PJ choices in this forum. Really, a forum could be helpful to be about finding the weaknesses and issues, and attempting to workaround or resolve them, rather than how a negative post makes someone feel about their equipment. No-one is intentionally trying to make people look foolish for buying devices or picking a certain unit, it's just the way it reads when you are touting the positives and negatives of an item or purchase.
Dave Harper likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #1248 of 2094 Old 11-17-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Has anybody tested the pc ready 3D option on this projector? Old fashion Blu-ray is pretty easy to rip. I was thinking about just putting my 3D collection on a my nas and streaming via Apple TV/VLC. I’m holding out on a 4k pj until I can have 3D. Right now this and the hk2488 are the only options but the hk2488 has a crap color wheel

post #1249 of 2094 Old 11-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Has anybody tested the pc ready 3D option on this projector? Old fashion Blu-ray is pretty easy to rip. I was thinking about just putting my 3D collection on a my nas and streaming via Apple TV/VLC. I’m holding out on a 4k pj until I can have 3D. Right now this and the hk2488 are the only options but the hk2488 has a crap color wheel

At 30Hz per eye, I'm not sure it's going to be bearable...

I wonder if the issue is really a lack of hardware capability or more a question of firmware and maybe a chance that it could be added later.

Speaking of, does anyone know if the firmware can be upgraded by the user ?
post #1250 of 2094 Old 11-17-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post

I believe this projector only accepts 30hz per eye in 3d which would be pretty painful to watch for a whole movie.
post #1251 of 2094 Old 11-17-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrance View Post
At 30Hz per eye, I'm not sure it's going to be bearable...

I wonder if the issue is really a lack of hardware capability or more a question of firmware and maybe a chance that it could be added later.

Speaking of, does anyone know if the firmware can be upgraded by the user ?
I think xpr must be disabled for 60hz/eye or better and the UHD65 was unable to do so.
post #1252 of 2094 Old 11-19-2017, 09:22 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Sorry everybody, got busy finishing my move so I didn't have much time to dedicate to the HT setup.

HDR: As some others have mentioned, the colors "pop" a little TOO much with the out of the box settings. The colors were incredible, but too saturated. If someone was wearing a red or blue shirt it looked like they were glowing with HDR turned on. After some tweaking, the HDR effect is excellent. I would recommend turning off PureColor and manually tweaking the color levels, but PureColor at 1 or 2 is good if you don't want to calibrate yourself.

24hz Video: Perfect with PureMotion set to 1 or 2. I personally prefer it set to 1. I've never read about this to confirm, but it seems as though my wife and I can see a different number of frames per second. It's almost unbearable for me to watch things at 24hz/24fps. I can't play video games at 30fps at all. If I do, I get the "third leg" effect when people are walking and when there are small, fast-moving objects onscreen it looks like the classic Windows "mouse trail" effect. Sorry I don't know the correct terms for what I'm talking about. Because of that, I'm not the person to ask about 24fps performance since it ALWAYS looks bad to me, even in theaters. All that aside, the PureMotion setting completely alleviates my issues. Keep in mind that if you use it to make a 30fps video game smoother it does a great job, but introduces too much lag for most games.

Black Levels: Despite all the complaints I've read (mostly by people that have never seen one of these projectors in person), the black levels are great AFTER some tweaking/calibrating. They were good, but not great out of the box. If you're willing to put some time in adjusting the image settings, I think 98% of people will be happy with the black levels.

4k/Pixel Density/Image Clarity: As I said before, I wouldn't have guessed this wasn't a "real" 4k projector. I don't think anyone will have an issue with the image quality. Even playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (which is a great test for higher resolution monitors), I was extremely impressed. I was playing in Game Mode as well, which does make a big difference in lag.

Input Lag/Response Time: This projector would be suitable to play even first person shooters and other games that demand very fast response times, but probably not competitively. If you play CounterStrike for a living you aren't going to be happy with it, but I'm not a competitive gamer and I was very happy with the performance in game mode. On this note, keep in mind many A/V receivers will introduce quite a bit of lag on their own. I have my PS4 Pro and a gaming PC plugged directly into the projector and use an optical cable to get sound to the A/V receiver. If I run them through the receiver I definitely get more lag, and that's with a Denon AVR-S730H. Other receivers may have less issue here, but I thought it was worth noting for those interested in 4k gaming on this projector. Also worth noting; the projector will take a 4k/60hz signal with 10-bit HDR enabled if you can convince the source to output that way. Works best with a PC.

Noise Level: Very low. I couldn't give you a dB measurement, but I wouldn't worry about noise levels. Maybe another owner can chime in on that front.

Complaints: The white levels weren't easy to get to where I was happy. I'm not sure how to describe the effect in technical terms, but there were issues with white objects against a bright color (like clouds) looking blocky and pixelated out of the box. I was able to resolve the issue, but this was the one area where I was not impressed with the out of the box settings. You also don't get much in the way of lens shift, so make sure you mount the projector in the right place the first time. The unit also doesn't power on as fast as I'd like for a laser-based projector, but that's a minor gripe.

I'm still learning my way around this projector, and I will still be getting it calibrated (probably by Ken Whitcomb) once my wallet recovers a bit from buying a new house/etc. For now, I can say that this is an awesome projector if you want to get in early on the 4k projection game, and it's great knowing it has the reliability and flexibility of a laser-based light source. I'd definitely recommend it over a UHD65 or UHD60 if you can swing it, the performance is quite a bit better and of course you won't have to change lamps.

Thanks for the detailed review. How would you compare this to the Epson 5040UB? I have over 1k hours into Battlefield 1 on both PS4 Pro and Xbox. I don't notice a lag at all on the 5040 UB as it's rated as low as 28ms. Is this anywhere near that you feel? Im not exactly sure where I would start to notice it.

If the projector is quite a step up in capability and quality than I see no reason not to get one. I'm just real iffy on the input lag times. Thank you
post #1253 of 2094 Old 11-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
One cool thing I noticed when messing with this UHZ65 is that when you turn HDR off on this projector, it signals the source with its EDID like an HDFury does, so my UB900 then stripped the HDR metadata and sent SDR BT2020 2160 24p 4:4:4 12bit! So no need to buy a Linker or Vertex for this if you prefer 4K SDR WCG over HDR.

I wonder if the UHD60/65 also do this? Any other newer projectors have this new EDID reaction now?

Here's a little HarperVision tidbit I'll drop here too. Try setting the gamma to "Graphics" when playing an HDR source, but make sure you tweak/calibrate the other settings too, using UHD HDR patterns. One thing I recall is that one of the color settings is way too overblown (watching uniforms in Star Trek Beyond) so it needed to be turned all the way down. The Revenant was pretty amazing like this! Ghostbusters may have been a tad overblown, but that was the last thing I threw in at about 3:15AM and I was cooked by that point so I didn't spend time finding a solution for that title.

I hope to do actual calibrations in the next couple days. I'll report back any findings. Can't wait!
Curious to know if you have any further thoughts on the projector. I've considered buying it still no real reviews out on it that I can find. Might replace a JVC RS2 that has been running find all these years, but its in a room that isn't used for long hours at a time. Kind of like the idea of laser and I've had DLP projectors before.
post #1254 of 2094 Old 11-20-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry J View Post
Curious to know if you have any further thoughts on the projector. I've considered buying it still no real reviews out on it that I can find. Might replace a JVC RS2 that has been running find all these years, but its in a room that isn't used for long hours at a time. Kind of like the idea of laser and I've had DLP projectors before.
I'm in the exact same position. It's quite curious how there is still no professional review anywhere even though this model has been available in the US since the first week of October. I know highdefdigest had a unit available for testing over a month ago but they still haven't published a review, which makes me think that Optoma must have some kind of embargo on reviews. Why is the $4500 question.
post #1255 of 2094 Old 11-20-2017, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AorticAneurysmX View Post
Thanks for the detailed review. How would you compare this to the Epson 5040UB? I have over 1k hours into Battlefield 1 on both PS4 Pro and Xbox. I don't notice a lag at all on the 5040 UB as it's rated as low as 28ms. Is this anywhere near that you feel? Im not exactly sure where I would start to notice it.

If the projector is quite a step up in capability and quality than I see no reason not to get one. I'm just real iffy on the input lag times. Thank you
As a gamer, I would like to hear more about input lag as well. I currently game through an A/V receiver going to a tv, but I'd probably buy an HDMI splitter to cut down on intermediaries if I went with this projector.
post #1256 of 2094 Old 11-20-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabadd View Post
As a gamer, I would like to hear more about input lag as well. I currently game through an A/V receiver going to a tv, but I'd probably buy an HDMI splitter to cut down on intermediaries if I went with this projector.
The UHD65 uses similar video processing and has around 70ms lag if I recall
post #1257 of 2094 Old 11-20-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:

I know nothing about display calibration. Can you tell me in layman's terms what adjustments lead to better contrast on the Optima?
On my little BenQ W1070 I have played with lamp dimming and gamma settings with minimal effect.
post #1258 of 2094 Old 11-20-2017, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Optoma UHZ65 - 4K laser ($5,000 MSRP)

Quote:

I agree with almost all of this but I didn't really test gaming so can't comment.

Quote:
Yeah it does look good with PureMotion 1 if it's like the uhd65 but was hoping they added 48hz 24p, which would be relatively smooth with pure motion disabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
That's because using 60hz for 24hz material gives you judder at worst case, best case the projector's processing recognizes the cadence and "undoes" the 60hz rate and resyncs at, hopefully, a multiple of 24hz. The only other alternative is interpolation.

It appears this projector doesn't have a native frame rate that is a multiple of 24hz, so it'll always have some judder unless it performs interpolation, which will create "fake" frames and, thus, has artifacts of its own.

Anyone who wants "fidelity" (in the truest sense of the word) for their 24hz material wants to send as 24hz and display at a multiple of 24hz (i.e. no judder no interpolation).

This is, yet another, preference vs. reference thing. There's no "right answer", but there is only one way that is true to the original source (and it's not yours, lol).

I tested the motion with the Murideo G6 pattern generator I have. I used the one with the sweeping vertical line that sweeps horizontally across the screen. I did this in 4K 23.976p mode and the motion appeared very fluid and smooth with no hiccups or dropped frames while I watched. This was with Pure motion off, too. To me it clearly uses some sort of even multiple of 24p like 48, 96 or 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post
Any of you guys with hands on this PJ been able to compare it to a e-shifter like JVC/Epson?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes I have had many Epsons here (5040UB, LS10000, LS10500) and still do (LS10500) and also JVC RS600 hand picked for me from AVS.

I would not hesitate to recommend this projector to anyone thinking about those models, including the lower Sonys (285/385). It is more of a preference thing really. If you like super sharp, bright and detailed images with slightly lower dynamic contrast (the laser dimming to zero on DynamicBlack setting 2 is awesome!) then this is the projector for you! If you want dimmer, slightly less sharp images with less ANSI pop but much higher native contrast and blacks, then go for the others.

I think I am starting to prefer DLPs again with this unit and in this price range. I'll know and feel more after I get my Sony VW885ES, but of course that's many, many times the price! I may have a Sony 285 here soon too.

PM me if you want more info on the UHZ65 and the other models too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry J View Post

I don't have anything further yet, other than some tips. Use Brilliant Color setting of about 9 if using the D65 mode. Otherwise the color temp will be through the roof too high and you'll have a hell of a time calibrating properly with such a blue/cool starting point. Also for some strange reason I kept going back to the "Graphics" gamma curve and every time that setting seemed to track the PQ the best of all the possibilities. It defaults to 2.0 for some reason, which in my pretty dark room seems way off.

Like I said previously, this projector is a VERY pleasant surprise to me. I agree blacks are definitely better than you'd think on paper. If you haven't personally seen it and Calibrated it, I don't think you should comment because you won't know what you're talking about. I recall seeing about 9K:1 Contrast in on screen or another. I have to go back to all my notes. I've been busy as hell lately, sorry.

I'll report some Calibration numbers soon hopefully.
post #1259 of 2094 Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I tested the motion with the Murideo G6 pattern generator I have. I used the one with the sweeping vertical line that sweeps horizontally across the screen. I did this in 4K 23.976p mode and the motion appeared very fluid and smooth with no hiccups or dropped frames while I watched. This was with Pure motion off, too. To me it clearly uses some sort of even multiple of 24p like 48, 96 or 120.
For some reason I thought I read this unit only had a native 60hz frame rate. I could be remembering wrong, or maybe it was just someone else's assumption that I was naively repeating. If so, I apologize.
post #1260 of 2094 Old 11-20-2017, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
For some reason I thought I read this unit only had a native 60hz frame rate. I could be remembering wrong, or maybe it was just someone else's assumption that I was naively repeating. If so, I apologize.

It could be, but maybe it has great 3:2 pulldown with PureMotion off and then when set to 1 or higher it inserts interpolated frames?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page