post #331 of 357 Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Your comments continue the argument that I subscribe too that says that probably 90% of material viewed by a typical projector owner is not low brightness dark scenes. When the picture has a mixture of bright and dark then the contrast is excellent as are the black levels. Only the JVC fan boys won't admit to this.
I really like my jvc for shows like The Expanse ( fantastic series ) and the new Blade runner. The jvc is stunning on scenes that are mostly black. starfields ect. However on mixed scenes the vivitek looks nearly as good and sometimes even better. The jvc takes soooo long to lock on to a hdmi signal and hdr well it takes an engineering degree to get it to look right on all but the lastest models of jvc s. After lots of work my jvc lools really good on hdr. This vivitek looks great right out of the box on hdr and it takes just a few seconds to do it. I wont sell mu jvc. I am not a fanboy of anything. Every projector i have owned ( 25 ) have had one thing or another that kept it from being the perfect projector for me. Right now the jvc and vivitek setup will hold me over until the current 25k machiines go down to under 3k.
12GAGE likes this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 357 Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
Right now the jvc and vivitek setup will hold me over until the current 25k machiines go down to under 3k.
I'm not going to hold my breath. I think the video wall that has just come out from Samsung will replace our higher end projectors. Since Samsung is not in the projector business these days I suspect they see all the HT projectors as ripe prospects.

Jack
post #333 of 357 Old 11-13-2018, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Greetings.
1. Is the HK2299 plague with similar issues as the cheaper HK2288?
2. Does it have the same firmware? What's the latest versin?
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 357 Old 11-13-2018, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Greetings.
1. Is the HK2299 plague with similar issues as the cheaper HK2288?
2. Does it have the same firmware? What's the latest versin?
Thanks,
yes its basically same unit except for 2299 is black has hand picked parts, coated color wheel and supposed have lil better motion handling ,and longer warranty. but its discontinued so i don't know if anyone has any new ones. I have the 2299 and never changed the firmware so not sure what current one is. you can call vivitek tech support they are usually very friendly and helpful. I don't have much issues with mine except sometimes it takes long to lock onto signal but nothing crazy maybe 10 sec max. I love the picture quality its extremely sharp good with motion just ok on contrast/black levels and nice colors. I know a lot ppl have had issues with it though as far as locking onto signal or hdr but mine has been good. where were you seeing someone selling one? was it a refurb from b&h or buydig?
post #335 of 357 Old 11-17-2018, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
yes its basically same unit except for 2299 is black has hand picked parts, coated color wheel and supposed have lil better motion handling ,and longer warranty. but its discontinued so i don't know if anyone has any new ones. I have the 2299 and never changed the firmware so not sure what current one is. you can call vivitek tech support they are usually very friendly and helpful. I don't have much issues with mine except sometimes it takes long to lock onto signal but nothing crazy maybe 10 sec max. I love the picture quality its extremely sharp good with motion just ok on contrast/black levels and nice colors. I know a lot ppl have had issues with it though as far as locking onto signal or hdr but mine has been good. where were you seeing someone selling one? was it a refurb from b&h or buydig?
Just got refurb HK2299. First Projector so noob in this area.
Out of the box works quite well, not issue with HDMI locking in, did see some pixelation a couple of times when changing video running of the youtube but it only lasted less than a second.

Will be testing it before taking the plunge to bolt to the ceiling and run the wires etc. Was concerned that my 35' hdmi cable will give me issues but works well no issue I can see.

What is the best calibration or there is a method I can use myself to calibrate. I see a number of things that can be changed especially in the user mode. Seems movie has the best picture quality out of the box.
I am going to use in a dedicated media room with no windows so really interested in the movie and night modes only.

Is using the zoom a good idea? Need to know since I want to hang the projector and if there is a downside of it I can hand it a little further.

5.1.4 Setup - Dedicated Media Room
Denon 4400
JBL590/520C/530/550P 5.1.x
MartinLogan MLT-2 x.x.4
Vivtek 2299 4K Projector
post #336 of 357 Old 11-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

I use night mode and day mode. I'm not sure if much difference between those and movie mode. The projector is not super bright so I would avoid zooming more than half its available zoom which will drop the brightness even more but if you have dark room and screen size is not crazy big you'll be fine. There's some calibrations on projector review website Review of the lower priced sibling hk2288 which should be similar probably they are almost same. Also can try the settings on pg 31 of this thread for regular hd content. Hdr content I use user mode because can adjust brightness contrast etc under that mode the other 2 hdr modes you can't.
post #337 of 357 Old 11-17-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I use night mode and day mode. I'm not sure if much difference between those and movie mode. The projector is not super bright so I would avoid zooming more than half its available zoom which will drop the brightness even more but if you have dark room and screen size is not crazy big you'll be fine. There's some calibrations on projector review website Review of the lower priced sibling hk2288 which should be similar probably they are almost same. Also can try the settings on pg 31 of this thread for regular hd content. Hdr content I use user mode because can adjust brightness contrast etc under that mode the other 2 hdr modes you can't.
Thanks, the reason I ask about zoom is because if I put it about 140' away I can get around 110 screen with ~40% zoom. If I put it 160' away I can do it with ~20% zoom. So being further away or more zoom which is worse? Usually there is always a sweet spot in the zoom if anyone know since I have the luxury to do it before I install it.

Yes I looked at the project review site and try that but the one on post 31 seems much more detailed.
post #338 of 357 Old 11-18-2018, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

I don't understand your numbers . Where did you get those distances and zoom amounts from? Unless its wrong from calculator on projector central website you should be able to do 110 diagonal screen image from 140 inches away with very little zoom. From 160 you would be mid zoom. You don't want to zoom much because you decrease brightness. The hk2299 isn't super bright so you have decide between how far away from seating want it mounted and how much zoom have do. It's not loud in normal fan mode you can hear it though but boost mode is kind of loud. What's searing distance?
post #339 of 357 Old 11-18-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I don't understand your numbers . Where did you get those distances and zoom amounts from? Unless its wrong from calculator on projector central website you should be able to do 110 diagonal screen image from 140 inches away with very little zoom. From 160 you would be mid zoom. You don't want to zoom much because you decrease brightness. The hk2299 isn't super bright so you have decide between how far away from seating want it mounted and how much zoom have do. It's not loud in normal fan mode you can hear it though but boost mode is kind of loud. What's searing distance?
Seating distance is about 10'.

The amount of zoom was my estimate but if you go and look up at Vivtek website throw calculator it also shows similar results. I do think vivitek calculator is wrong in the sense that they list screen diagonal size which really the screen width. So you to interpolate to get the right number
https://www.vivitekusa.com/lens-calc...l=HK2299&mode=

Yes you can easily get 110" screen from from 140" throw but you have to zoom about 1.3 times.
At 160" throw only need zoom of 1.13.

2299 does have a pretty good zoom which give a lot of flexibility but I was hoping to know what is the sweet spot of lens if anyone knew.

Is the default mode the eco mode for the lamp?
post #340 of 357 Old 11-18-2018, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

I think you have that reversed the 2299 you woukd have to zoom more further away you are not less. So 160" away zoom more than 140" away . I dont know of a sweet spot for the zoom I have used it with no zoom and have used it with a zoom from around 146" or so and I had a very clear sharp image from both distances and this projector is sharp from edge to edge very uniform. So I don't think there is a sweet spot but you could always set it up before mounting it and just place it on a table or something to get a idea. But like I said i would not go more than probably 150" due to losing brightness by zooming at 160 your about mid zoom. But that's up you.
The default lamp mode is called default and that is the 2299 low or eco mode. The boost mode is high. The lamp mode setting does not get saved with picture modes so if you pick a picture mode it will be default mode and if want boost (high)lamp you'll have change it in menu.
I'm using mine now watching football and I love it. I got 1000hrs on mine and still looks like new.
post #341 of 357 Old 11-19-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I think you have that reversed the 2299 you woukd have to zoom more further away you are not less. So 160" away zoom more than 140" away . I dont know of a sweet spot for the zoom I have used it with no zoom and have used it with a zoom from around 146" or so and I had a very clear sharp image from both distances and this projector is sharp from edge to edge very uniform. So I don't think there is a sweet spot but you could always set it up before mounting it and just place it on a table or something to get a idea. But like I said i would not go more than probably 150" due to losing brightness by zooming at 160 your about mid zoom. But that's up you.
The default lamp mode is called default and that is the 2299 low or eco mode. The boost mode is high. The lamp mode setting does not get saved with picture modes so if you pick a picture mode it will be default mode and if want boost (high)lamp you'll have change it in menu.
I'm using mine now watching football and I love it. I got 1000hrs on mine and still looks like new.
Thanks, I just watched a movie on it and it is pretty good. Yes I played with the zoom and it really looks sharp all around. I guess as long as I stay in the middle of the zoom I should be OK. I will stick with the mounting around 145" throw.

As you move the projector farther away the larger the image becomes so less zoom is required when farther away for the same size.
post #342 of 357 Old 11-25-2018, 02:57 PM

How are everyone mounting the HK2299/2288 to the ceiling The lens is off center and if I try to center the mount to the lens and use the 4 screws that are above the lens the projector is way tipsy and it seems be twisting. I was using a highly rated universal mount from Amazon but kind of stuck with this situation.
The mount is rated for 30 pound projectors so it should support but since I am trying to mount of the center of gravity of the projector to match center of the lens I see the projector kind of twisting. Not sure if the 4 screws above the projector are meant to be used this way.
post #343 of 357 Old 11-25-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by iafzal View Post
How are everyone mounting the HK2299/2288 to the ceiling The lens is off center and if I try to center the mount to the lens and use the 4 screws that are above the lens the projector is way tipsy and it seems be twisting. I was using a highly rated universal mount from Amazon but kind of stuck with this situation.
The mount is rated for 30 pound projectors so it should support but since I am trying to mount of the center of gravity of the projector to match center of the lens I see the projector kind of twisting. Not sure if the 4 screws above the projector are meant to be used this way.
The chief universal mount has arms so you can hook them up to the screw holes but then move the plate to the center of gravity.
post #344 of 357 Old 11-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was going try same thing but seemed like would be tilting on my mount due to wight and mount not centered and not covering whole width of projector. so I didnt use the center screws, i used the 4 outside screws near the bottom feet. then i just installed mount a couple inches to left and then marked wall where picture was and hung my screen. it would have been so much easier if had horizontal lens shift ..my only issue was when i moved it to different room and put a different projector in room that didn't have a offset lens. luckily other projector had enough horizontal lens shift so i was fine. take your time make sure you get it all lined up perfect and square to screen and where you want it.
post #345 of 357 Old 09-28-2019, 08:30 AM

Hi guys,
Anyone has good settings for HK2299? I have about 200 hours on the lamp.
I have Aztar35 settings for Night mode. Pretty good a little on the purplish side compared to what I had before from the HK2288 thread.

Looking for setting for the Movie mode and if I need to do anything for HDR content. I use 4k fire stick and many of the prime original programming is 4k with HDR and all the settings get grayed out during that.

Also anyone know what is the user mode seem too green and bright.

I am using it in a dedicated media room

Denon 4400
MartinLogan MLT-2 x.x.4
Vivtek 2299 4K Projector
post #346 of 357 Old 10-01-2019, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just received my refurb HK2299 from BuyDig yesterday. ($859 with a real 2 year warranty!)

Unfortunately, there's a small batch of dead pixels in the upper-third of the screen, but I've already contacted them to do a return. BuyDig is one of my favorite vendors and I've been doing business with them for almost a decade and have every confidence they'll take care of me.

I did spend about 4 hours watching a mix of stuff from different sources and came away VERY impressed. I used our bar table in the back of the room as I'm not ready to perma-mount this thing until I have a 100% working unit. The lens shift was a godsend as I was able to get about 90% coverage on the screen, even though the bar table is above the bottom edge. Coming from short throw PJs with limited to no zoom, having such a wide zoom range and lens shift is going to make mounting so much easier!

My system:

PS4 and Chromecast Ultra
Denon AVR-X3500 connected to the Vivitek with a RUIPRO-US 10 meter HDMI optical cable.

Once I setup "allow enhanced HDMI on the Denon" and rebooted the PS4 I had no issues with any 4k HDR content. When launching the Netflix or YouTube apps from the PS4 there was about a 4 second black out followed by a weird little color adjustment, but then HDR came through fine.

I used the settings from Aztar35 and they seem quite good. I might toy around a bit more when I get the replacement unit, but the color menu is a total nightmare. I thought people were being babies about it, but my thumb actually ached after finishing all the settings! Ridiculous Vivitek!

Played a few HDR games and watched Netflix, PLEX, and YouTube.

For reference, I own a Sony 55" Sony X900E television that is not too shabby and my current PJ is a BenQ 2150ST, considered one of the best budget 1080p PJs around. My converted garage is pretty well controlled for light, but I was doing all this testing at night. I have 6 recessed Hue lights in the ceiling, I turn off all but the two in the back which are at about 5% so I can go grab a beer without tripping over my dog.

Games: Threw on Horizon: Zero Dawn which I consider to be the most beautiful game ever made. Went with 4K HDR mode and it was incredibly immersive. I even disable motion blur to see how the Vivitek handled the frenetic action and it didn't falter once. Next up was DIRT Rally 2.0. This game is quite pretty and by its nature you're moving very fast and constantly spinning out. Everything looked great and again the motion was super clean.

Netflix: Watching Blue Planet II on Netflix (the "Coral Reef" episode) I almost fell off of my couch. The cuttlefish "hypnotic" portion at the beginning was overwhelming on my 120" SilverTicket screen. The colors and brightness were incredible, but the motion handling was the real star to me. Super smooth, no lag or jaggy quality with panning shots. I then threw on Triple Frontier, an exceedingly stupid, but nevertheless very pretty 4K HDR film. The opening scene with police raid was rendered very nicely. A lot of big explosions, quick action, and dark scenes. It was perhaps a bit "dark", but I think my eyes were still recovering from Blue Planet II as much as anything, and even on my X900E I thought the movie was poorly lit in quite a few scenes.

YouTube:
and I was again shocked at the quality. The black levels were (IMO) incredible for a DLP projector, and the contrast is just bananas. I followed up with
video of gasoline being thrown at a glass pane in super slo mo. Again, I was in awe.

Plex: Watching a 12GB 1080p H264 copy of Spiderman : Far From Home I was very impressed with the detail that the upscaling can achieve. Again, the 2150ST is no slouch in any particular area, but the sharpness of the 2299 was very noticeable without feeling "fake". I then pulled up a 3.4GB 1080p X265 copy of The 3 Amigos. Again, even though this is a lower quality copy than Spiderman, the Vivtek did a very nice job adding extra detail.

CONS:

- In "Boost" mode it is pretty loud. I don't think I'll be using this mode a ton as default is plenty bright for me. Honestly found boost to be too bright with full light control. Especially with HDR.

- It's massive. I get that's part of why it's so good, but coming from more budget PJs this thing looks absurd

- The remote is "mushy". It's fine for turning it on and off, but for any calibration stuff it just sucks. Hopefully I won't have to use it much after initial setup.

- No lens cap. This should be illegal.

- Lens shift wheel feels very fragile and I was afraid I would break it. Focus and zoom are fine, but still feel unpolished compared to my previous budget BenQs.

That's pretty much it. For the current refurb street price of $850 - 1000 with a 2 year warranty I can't imagine a better deal for a 4k PJ.
post #347 of 357 Old 10-01-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2521 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Quote:
Hi guys,
Anyone has good settings for HK2299? I have about 200 hours on the lamp.
I have Aztar35 settings for Night mode. Pretty good a little on the purplish side compared to what I had before from the HK2288 thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattiboy View Post
Just received my refurb HK2299 from BuyDig yesterday. ($859 with a real 2 year warranty!)

I used the settings from Aztar35 and they seem quite good. I might toy around a bit more when I get the replacement unit, but the color menu is a total nightmare. I thought people were being babies about it, but my thumb actually ached after finishing all the settings! Ridiculous Vivitek!
I'm glad you're both enjoying this projector. It really puts up a nice, celluloid-looking image.

You're already happy with it so these are just some thoughts on window dressing:

1)If you feel you have enough brightness to spare, maybe think about getting a negative gain/gray screen to slightly enhance the appearance of blacks.

2) For HDR/4K discs, see if you can pick up an inexpensive 4K player that you can set to SDR BT2020 color to do the tone mapping in the player. I found that using a player to tone map significantly reduces the rainbow effect for HDR sources.
post #348 of 357 Old 10-01-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I'm glad you're both enjoying this projector. It really puts up a nice, celluloid-looking image.

You're already happy with it so these are just some thoughts on window dressing:

1)If you feel you have enough brightness to spare, maybe think about getting a negative gain/gray screen to slightly enhance the appearance of blacks.

2) For HDR/4K discs, see if you can pick up an inexpensive 4K player that you can set to SDR BT2020 color to do the tone mapping in the player. I found that using a player to tone map significantly reduces the rainbow effect for HDR sources.
I also Have Silver Ticket white screen which does a pretty decent job and I am happy with brightness using default mode so not planning to change any of that.

Aztar,
Do you have setting for Movie or HDR mode? I have the Night mode setting you posted last year and they are pretty good to me but wanted to see if there are any other settings I can add.

Yes this is a gem of a 4k projector at this price point if you are willing to take them time to set it up properly. Out of the box not the best and hence so many refurbs around.

Denon 4400
MartinLogan MLT-2 x.x.4
Vivtek 2299 4K Projector
post #349 of 357 Old 10-01-2019, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I also Have Silver Ticket white screen which does a pretty decent job and I am happy with brightness using default mode so not planning to change any of that.

Aztar,
Do you have setting for Movie or HDR mode? I have the Night mode setting you posted last year and they are pretty good to me but wanted to see if there are any other settings I can add.

Yes this is a gem of a 4k projector at this price point if you are willing to take them time to set it up properly. Out of the box not the best and hence so many refurbs around.
Unfortunately, that was the calibrated setting I had and I don't have this projector anymore.
post #350 of 357 Old 10-02-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, that was the calibrated setting I had and I don't have this projector anymore.
oh that is too bad as you seem to be really getting the most out of it. So why you changed? You got something better or you had issues with HK2299?

Denon 4400
MartinLogan MLT-2 x.x.4
Vivtek 2299 4K Projector
post #351 of 357 Old 10-02-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks again for your settings! Really make this projector sing!

Still using the one with the small dead pixel section until my replacement gets here next week and I love it more every day. The contrast and colors are just gorgeous. Reds especially are rendered in a lovey way.

Also, the “s curve” gamma setting is pretty cool! Really increases perceived brightness without washing things out. Helpful when you have ambient light.

No issues with any handshake stuff and I’ve put it through torture tests with every type of media and service. The Denon does a damn fine job of pass through and I have all processing disabled.

All in all, couldn’t really be happier and kind of sad for the folks who wasted all that time and effort when the fancy HDMI cable was apparently most the issue!

See attached screenshots. First is a 1080p movie, the second and third are 4K Netflix content. As close to how I see them as I could get without too much effort. More contrast in real life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B8C7544-3497-4532-B86C-F79EA93949A2_1570079542136.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	2622968   Click image for larger version

Name:	B7A837B0-CC09-4A95-88C7-817F6E56D6D3_1570080167651.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	2622970   Click image for larger version

Name:	00B78020-1609-417F-AE2B-1A06E2793136_1570080331416.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	2622972  
Aztar35 likes this.
post #352 of 357 Old 10-02-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
oh that is too bad as you seem to be really getting the most out of it. So why you changed? You got something better or you had issues with HK2299?
I actually had two Viviteks at different times and really liked them. I had this model and also the Vivitek H9090 which unfortunately had suffered some damage. But I think they are excellent projectors with very good lenses.

The projector I have now is very good. It has a little more resolution and deeper blacks in darker scenes but it also costs more than this model.
post #353 of 357 Old 10-02-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

See attached screenshots. First is a 1080p movie, the second and third are 4K Netflix content. As close to how I see them as I could get without too much effort. More contrast in real life.
I really think this model puts out some of the cleanest DLP images I've yet seen. And given the price range for this projector, I have to give it some deserved praise for all that it does well.
post #354 of 357 Old 10-03-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Still using the one with the small dead pixel section until my replacement gets here next week and I love it more every day. The contrast and colors are just gorgeous. Reds especially are rendered in a lovey way.

Also, the “s curve” gamma setting is pretty cool! Really increases perceived brightness without washing things out. Helpful when you have ambient light.

No issues with any handshake stuff and I’ve put it through torture tests with every type of media and service. The Denon does a damn fine job of pass through and I have all processing disabled.

All in all, couldn’t really be happier and kind of sad for the folks who wasted all that time and effort when the fancy HDMI cable was apparently most the issue!

Can you explain the "s curve" setting...

I also have Denon AVR(x4400) but i have it set to upscale to 4k and also set it to Enhanced mode.
So you have to pass though native content and not upscale?

Yes this projector is perhaps the best 4k projector in $1k range if you can dial it properly.
I wish they had done a better job with the GUI though

Denon 4400
MartinLogan MLT-2 x.x.4
Vivtek 2299 4K Projector
post #355 of 357 Old 10-03-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I actually had two Viviteks at different times and really liked them. I had this model and also the Vivitek H9090 which unfortunately had suffered some damage. But I think they are excellent projectors with very good lenses.

The projector I have now is very good. It has a little more resolution and deeper blacks in darker scenes but it also costs more than this model.
Well thanks for your efforts in the calibration of HK2299 and good luck with your new projector.

I will probably change in 3-5 years if this last that long with a laser projector which I expect to mature by then and at much lower price point.

Denon 4400
MartinLogan MLT-2 x.x.4
Vivtek 2299 4K Projector
post #356 of 357 Old 10-03-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Can you explain the "s curve" setting...

I also have Denon AVR(x4400) but i have it set to upscale to 4k and also set it to Enhanced mode.
So you have to pass though native content and not upscale?

Yes this projector is perhaps the best 4k projector in $1k range if you can dial it properly.
I wish they had done a better job with the GUI though
S-curve seems to be kind of like slog in video production. It pulls up the shadows and everything is about a step or two brighter.

Seems the Vivitek has a great scaler, so I disabled the Denon sampling. Have it set to pass through and it looks great, worth trying both ways I suppose.
post #357 of 357 Old 10-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
S-curve seems to be kind of like slog in video production. It pulls up the shadows and everything is about a step or two brighter.

Seems the Vivitek has a great scaler, so I disabled the Denon sampling. Have it set to pass through and it looks great, worth trying both ways I suppose.
I turned off scaler on the x4400h and thought the video was more crisp. So I am going to stick with the up scaling off from now on. I also read on up scaling built into the AVRs and it seems it is usually pretty run of the mill and the TVs or the Projectors have a much better scaling engine.

Denon 4400
MartinLogan MLT-2 x.x.4
Vivtek 2299 4K Projector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page