Affordable 4K LED/Laser projectors? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-05-2017, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
beuwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Affordable 4K LED/Laser projectors?

Hello. I read with great interest last year about the new Texas Instrument 4K chip and how it would soon lead to sub $1000 or so 4K projectors. A year later and I havent seen anything close to this. Given how big and fast OLED TVs are arriving, is there any chance we are going to see projectors keep up with TVs in the affordable space?

I held off on an expensive HD projector last year, went with the cheap Espon 2040 and it works very well. Great picture, very bright, etc. For under $600 it was a great buy to hold me over. I am however holding out for an affordable ($3K range) 4K LED/Laser projector. I was hoping we would start to see them this year in the $5K range this year and hopefully see them under $3K by early next year. At this point, I have yet to see much if any news on 4K projectors, and certainly not LED or Laser based in an affordable range.

While I realize a projector is not your every day TV setup, the majority of us that have bought projectors do so because they offer larger screens at decent prices.. usually competitive with the 65" or bigger TVs. With 65" OLED (and very good LED) TVs now in the $1500 range (ok.. OLED is a bit pricier..but within the 3K range) and larger models in the $4K to $5K range.. I am starting to lose hope that 4K projectors will be something the majority of us will be able to enjoy anytime soon. What bugs me more is 8K TVs are right around the corner.. granted it will be a good 4 to 5 years before they start to niche out 4K sets.. but at the rate 4K projectors are going, we may not see a quality 4K LED projector for under $5K by then, and by then, larger 8K TVs (with no doubt 100" plus sizes) will start to look more appealing.

Most of those I speak to would take a 70" to 100" TV over a 120" or so projector given price/weight concerns, and that projectors typically require another $1000+ invested in the screen, and another chunk of change for mounting hardware.

So.. thoughts? Any chance the 4K LED/Laser variety of projectors with enough lumens to hit 120" or so comfortably are going to be affordable in 2018 or so? Or should I just pull the trigger on a 75" OLED panel and give up on the hopes of a 4K projector?
beuwolf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 08-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
cbaseuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 28
As much as we projector owners love the big screen feel, I'm assuming that 80% or even higher of people just buy a 'TV'..

Basic supply and demand dictates R&D on technology products. I'm just throwing that out there...it may have something to do with projectors never being on the bleeding edge as fast as standard panel based tech goes??
cbaseuser is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 08-05-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,768
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6611 Post(s)
Liked: 7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by beuwolf View Post
Hello. I read with great interest last year about the new Texas Instrument 4K chip and how it would soon lead to sub $1000 or so 4K projectors. A year later and I havent seen anything close to this. Given how big and fast OLED TVs are arriving, is there any chance we are going to see projectors keep up with TVs in the affordable space?

I held off on an expensive HD projector last year, went with the cheap Espon 2040 and it works very well. Great picture, very bright, etc. For under $600 it was a great buy to hold me over. I am however holding out for an affordable ($3K range) 4K LED/Laser projector. I was hoping we would start to see them this year in the $5K range this year and hopefully see them under $3K by early next year. At this point, I have yet to see much if any news on 4K projectors, and certainly not LED or Laser based in an affordable range.

While I realize a projector is not your every day TV setup, the majority of us that have bought projectors do so because they offer larger screens at decent prices.. usually competitive with the 65" or bigger TVs. With 65" OLED (and very good LED) TVs now in the $1500 range (ok.. OLED is a bit pricier..but within the 3K range) and larger models in the $4K to $5K range.. I am starting to lose hope that 4K projectors will be something the majority of us will be able to enjoy anytime soon. What bugs me more is 8K TVs are right around the corner.. granted it will be a good 4 to 5 years before they start to niche out 4K sets.. but at the rate 4K projectors are going, we may not see a quality 4K LED projector for under $5K by then, and by then, larger 8K TVs (with no doubt 100" plus sizes) will start to look more appealing.

Most of those I speak to would take a 70" to 100" TV over a 120" or so projector given price/weight concerns, and that projectors typically require another $1000+ invested in the screen, and another chunk of change for mounting hardware.

So.. thoughts? Any chance the 4K LED/Laser variety of projectors with enough lumens to hit 120" or so comfortably are going to be affordable in 2018 or so? Or should I just pull the trigger on a 75" OLED panel and give up on the hopes of a 4K projector?
You can get 4K compatible ( eshift ) lamp based projectors now, for pretty good prices. True 4K and laser - there aren't too many, and they are nowhere near your price point. No matter what, a 65" or 70" TV is too small, and will always look like a TV - not a theater. I'd rather have an Epson 5040UB or JVC RS420 / 520 and a 120" screen, than any TV.
woodhead2 likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 08-05-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You can get 4K compatible ( eshift ) lamp based projectors now, for pretty good prices. True 4K and laser - there aren't too many, and they are nowhere near your price point. No matter what, a 65" or 70" TV is too small, and will always look like a TV - not a theater. I'd rather have an Epson 5040UB or JVC RS420 / 520 and a 120" screen, than any TV.
I agree with you.

But I wonder how long that will hold true. Now the home experience with TV 4k UHD HDR WCG is much better than the local movie theater. So movie theaters are looking to move to micro-led displays. In the not too distant future, there will be very few projection theaters and many more digital 8k DobyVision BT2020 micro-led display theaters.

When that happens, projection will probably die altogether in the home and will be replaced by large micro-led displays.

I could see this taking place over the next 10 years. Your current RS4500 maybe the be as good as home projection ever gets.
GregCh is online now  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-05-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,768
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6611 Post(s)
Liked: 7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
I agree with you.

But I wonder how long that will hold true. Now the home experience with TV 4k UHD HDR WCG is much better than the local movie theater. So movie theaters are looking to move to micro-led displays. In the not too distant future, there will be very few projection theaters and many more digital 8k DobyVision BT2020 micro-led display theaters.

When that happens, projection will probably die altogether in the home and will be replaced by large micro-led displays.

I could see this taking place over the next 10 years. Your current RS4500 maybe the be as good as home projection ever gets.
And I just read an article today about theater revenue being down again this year 2%, from last years bad year. Many theaters aren't making any money. Maybe theaters don't have the money to replace projection systems. There will always be home projection - they are at worst a sideline for companies making business / simulation projectors. But you could be right, in which case only people that can afford $25K and up home theater projectors can own them, since that's all that will be available.

One things for sure - the more people predict this or that regarding home theater equipment, the more it seems to stay relatively the same. A few more pixels and a few more speakers, but I'm still watching optical discs with a receiver and a projector. And I don't intend to change that - ever !
Jive Turkey likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #6 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
beuwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
And I just read an article today about theater revenue being down again this year 2%, from last years bad year. Many theaters aren't making any money. Maybe theaters don't have the money to replace projection systems. There will always be home projection - they are at worst a sideline for companies making business / simulation projectors. But you could be right, in which case only people that can afford $25K and up home theater projectors can own them, since that's all that will be available.

One things for sure - the more people predict this or that regarding home theater equipment, the more it seems to stay relatively the same. A few more pixels and a few more speakers, but I'm still watching optical discs with a receiver and a projector. And I don't intend to change that - ever !
I love my 4K UHD discs. I suspect even in the 10+ year range they will still look fantastic. I have compared good quality conversion 1080P that upscales to 4K and it looks darn good... from a distance.. hard to tell between it and the same 4K UHD disc. I would not be surprised when 8K and eventually 16K (or whatever the next amazing tech may be if we somehow move away from pixels and maybe create eye quality images in some other manner) would be able to upscale 4K content pretty nicely. At least to the 8K range.. so I feel pretty good that 4K UHD will be around for a good many years yet.
beuwolf is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
And I just read an article today about theater revenue being down again this year 2%, from last years bad year. Many theaters aren't making any money. Maybe theaters don't have the money to replace projection systems. There will always be home projection - they are at worst a sideline for companies making business / simulation projectors. But you could be right, in which case only people that can afford $25K and up home theater projectors can own them, since that's all that will be available.

One things for sure - the more people predict this or that regarding home theater equipment, the more it seems to stay relatively the same. A few more pixels and a few more speakers, but I'm still watching optical discs with a receiver and a projector. And I don't intend to change that - ever !
I think revenue is down because too many bad movies are being made (yet the studios blame Rotten Tomatoes).
DavidHir is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-08-2017, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,768
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6611 Post(s)
Liked: 7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I think revenue is down because too many bad movies are being made (yet the studios blame Rotten Tomatoes).
We read the same article !
Craig Peer is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 08-08-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,768
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6611 Post(s)
Liked: 7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by beuwolf View Post
I love my 4K UHD discs. I suspect even in the 10+ year range they will still look fantastic. I have compared good quality conversion 1080P that upscales to 4K and it looks darn good... from a distance.. hard to tell between it and the same 4K UHD disc. I would not be surprised when 8K and eventually 16K (or whatever the next amazing tech may be if we somehow move away from pixels and maybe create eye quality images in some other manner) would be able to upscale 4K content pretty nicely. At least to the 8K range.. so I feel pretty good that 4K UHD will be around for a good many years yet.
I'm pretty happy with 4K too. I doubt older catalog titles like The Fifth Element will ever look better, so I'll upgrade all my favorite movies - one last time !
Craig Peer is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-08-2017, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
beuwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I'm pretty happy with 4K too. I doubt older catalog titles like The Fifth Element will ever look better, so I'll upgrade all my favorite movies - one last time !
Haha.. so true! I have an old VHS tape of some movies like Top Gun, that I also have a DVD for and a Bluray. But only a few like that. I do have at least 15 or so DVDs that I bought the original 1080P bluray for that some I am now about to upgrade to 4K again. But.. some movies are worth it. Some not so much. What I most like about the 4K UHD format is most of the movies that were shot on film and go through the right process look amazing on 4K and I vaguely recall reading a year or so ago about how UHD Bluray is less compressed than HD Bluray? At any rate.. I mostly buy good action based movies in Bluray (and now UHD). I dont even have a good 4K TV yet, but I am hoping that 4K TVs will be around a good 10 years before 8K overtakes them. I also vaguely recall reading an article about how 4K is really a stepping stone to 8K, which makes some sense given how I am seeing more and more youtube vloggers with 8K RED cameras.. and scratching my head how the hell they afford them #1 and #2 why.. and #3.. why am I not part of that scene that can afford RED 8K cameras to shoot mostly useless videos!!
beuwolf is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 08-08-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,768
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6611 Post(s)
Liked: 7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by beuwolf View Post
Haha.. so true! I have an old VHS tape of some movies like Top Gun, that I also have a DVD for and a Bluray. But only a few like that. I do have at least 15 or so DVDs that I bought the original 1080P bluray for that some I am now about to upgrade to 4K again. But.. some movies are worth it. Some not so much. What I most like about the 4K UHD format is most of the movies that were shot on film and go through the right process look amazing on 4K and I vaguely recall reading a year or so ago about how UHD Bluray is less compressed than HD Bluray? At any rate.. I mostly buy good action based movies in Bluray (and now UHD). I dont even have a good 4K TV yet, but I am hoping that 4K TVs will be around a good 10 years before 8K overtakes them. I also vaguely recall reading an article about how 4K is really a stepping stone to 8K, which makes some sense given how I am seeing more and more youtube vloggers with 8K RED cameras.. and scratching my head how the hell they afford them #1 and #2 why.. and #3.. why am I not part of that scene that can afford RED 8K cameras to shoot mostly useless videos!!
I try to sell the old movie ( or donate them ) and the HD DVD to Blu-ray upgrade deals were great too. I collect movies to watch, so everything I have now is on Blu-ray or 4K Blu-ray. Other than the DVD they give you with BR's these days...
Craig Peer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off