Ask Me Anything: Home-Theater Projection - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 62Likes
Closed Thread

post #121 of 124 Old 08-25-2017, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dugal View Post
Adding to the HDR questioning faction ...

In addition to the obvious questions:
  • When will projector HDR capabilities approach OLED HDR capabilities?
  • When will we see a projector with 4000+ nits of brightness?
  • Will projectors with frickin' lasers attached to their heads achieve the HDR goal?

I'm curious about the difference between contrast ratio and HDR. For example, why does a projector like the Sony VPL-VW675ES with a 350,000:1 contrast ratio only achieve acceptable (at best) HDR?

- Dave
  • Consumer-projector HDR capabilities will probably never match OLED HDR capabilities, or at least not for a very long time.
  • I doubt we will ever see a projector with 4000+ nits of peak brightness coming off the screen.
  • We already have projectors with frickin' lasers (I suppose you could call the light engine their "heads"), which does improve the HDR performance.

The difference between contrast ratio and HDR is this: Contrast ratio is specified for the projector in isolation (and the number is often wildly inflated due to tricky measurement procedures), while HDR depends on the entire system (projector, screen, room).
Dave Dugal and Haiej like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 124 Old 08-25-2017, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post
If you have a 4k Blu ray player and a 4k movie though a 1080p Projector or monitor will it scale the image to be sharper than 1080? I know it won't be 4k, but will it clean the image up to better than reference at 1080 since i know it cant be 4K or HDR but will it look noticeably better?
To do what you suggest, the player must downscale the 4K movie to 1080p before sending it to the display; a 1080p display won't know what to do with a 4K signal. In general, scaling a higher resolution to a lower one will result in a better image than if the content is at the final resolution to begin with. But it also depends on quality of the player's scaler. Will it be noticeably better? Perhaps, but only marginally.
Pitbull0669 likes this.
post #123 of 124 Old 08-25-2017, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
  • Consumer-projector HDR capabilities will probably never match OLED HDR capabilities, or at least not for a very long time.
  • I doubt we will ever see a projector with 4000+ nits of peak brightness coming off the screen.
  • We already have projectors with frickin' lasers (I suppose you could call the light engine their "heads"), which does improve the HDR performance.

The difference between contrast ratio and HDR is this: Contrast ratio is specified for the projector in isolation (and the number is often wildly inflated due to tricky measurement procedures), while HDR depends on the entire system (projector, screen, room).
Awesome answers! Thanks Scott!

- Dave

ps. Thought you/someone would like the "Austin Powers" reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 124 Old 08-25-2017, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 438 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Thanks again to all who participated.

Stay tuned for more great discussions and another sweet giveaway coming up in a week.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
ask me anything , Home Theater , projection , Sony , ubp-x1000es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page