Projector in this Room? Daytime Uncontrolled Light - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sittler27
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Projector in this Room? Daytime Uncontrolled Light

I have a JVC X750R to a 138" Da-lite scope screen (HD Progressive - 1.3 gain material).
Sit about 12.5' away, but could sit about 10' away before I run outside of my in-wall/ceiling Atmos speaker area.

Great picture, great sound, but only after the sun goes down. Then it's just great sound.

I've attached a few photos taken today at 1:30pm when the sun is over the house (not directly through windows), and you can see how much my screen material lights up.
(taken with iPhone 7plus with no flash to show as best as possible what I'm seeing).
All pics taken from my main viewing position.

It also includes light leakage (last picture) from a set of doors up some stairs at the other end of the large basement room.
My wife won't let me treat any of these windows with black-out curtains. Even if I could put the curtains on the windows to the left of the screen, I'd still have quite a bit of leakage from the other end of the basement.

When you couple this issue with fact my wife rarely watches the big screen with me because "she doesn't want to sit in a pitch black room" at night, I'm thinking I may be just better off with selling the projector and screen and just putting up the largest OLED I can afford (likely 65").

Obviously this is would be a vast down-size, but it would also allow me to enjoy vastly improved pq (from 9-10' away though) and to also avoid some of the other issues I find a pain with the projector (namely: continually obsessing about tweaking the projector picture; wanting to have a 4K panel for xbox one x 4K gaming in the fall; high lag for gaming; replacing lamp/lamp dimming with age; the very frustrating amount of time it takes to change inputs/source on the JVC).

Don't get me wrong though, I really love the immersion I get with my current setup, but my Atmos system isn't going anywhere (Paradigm Studio 60 series).

One last thing: I've become obsessed lately with the pq of OLED (been looking at them too much in stores), and that's the main catalyst for me thinking about all this recently.

What would you do if you were me? Am I crazy to let such a large screen/setup go? Will I be disappointed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8205.JPG (1.39 MB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6758.JPG (1.87 MB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6178.JPG (1.63 MB, 72 views)
Sittler27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,624
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7804 Post(s)
Liked: 9884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
I have a JVC X750R to a 138" Da-lite scope screen (HD Progressive - 1.3 gain material).
Sit about 12.5' away, but could sit about 10' away before I run outside of my in-wall/ceiling Atmos speaker area.

Great picture, great sound, but only after the sun goes down. Then it's just great sound.

I've attached a few photos taken today at 1:30pm when the sun is over the house (not directly through windows), and you can see how much my screen material lights up.
(taken with iPhone 7plus with no flash to show as best as possible what I'm seeing).
All pics taken from my main viewing position.

It also includes light leakage (last picture) from a set of doors up some stairs at the other end of the large basement room.
My wife won't let me treat any of these windows with black-out curtains. Even if I could put the curtains on the windows to the left of the screen, I'd still have quite a bit of leakage from the other end of the basement.

When you couple this issue with fact my wife rarely watches the big screen with me because "she doesn't want to sit in a pitch black room" at night, I'm thinking I may be just better off with selling the projector and screen and just putting up the largest OLED I can afford (likely 65").

Obviously this is would be a vast down-size, but it would also allow me to enjoy vastly improved pq (from 9-10' away though) and to also avoid some of the other issues I find a pain with the projector (namely: continually obsessing about tweaking the projector picture; wanting to have a 4K panel for xbox one x 4K gaming in the fall; high lag for gaming; replacing lamp/lamp dimming with age; the very frustrating amount of time it takes to change inputs/source on the JVC).

Don't get me wrong though, I really love the immersion I get with my current setup, but my Atmos system isn't going anywhere (Paradigm Studio 60 series).

One last thing: I've become obsessed lately with the pq of OLED (been looking at them too much in stores), and that's the main catalyst for me thinking about all this recently.

What would you do if you were me? Am I crazy to let such a large screen/setup go? Will I be disappointed?
Why can't you block the light from those windows ? Looks totally do - able to me. Do it when your wife is gone. And maybe a couple of can lights on dimmers for when your wife complains about the " pitch black room ". I'll have to assume that she doesn't like commercial theaters either then.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 08-25-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #3 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Why can't you block the light from those windows ? Looks totally do - able to me. Do it when you wife is gone.
Because my wife is a PITA (oh, can I say that on here?). boy that feels good.

No seriously, I used up all my chips with her to even get the HT area of the basement painted a darker colour (for the purpose of better night time viewing), and she doesn't want me to hang curtains on any of the windows.

We put up window screens in the whole house (these included) and the light leaks around the side of them and through them in the case of the ones up the stairs at the back there.

For those, she definitely wouldn't want to hang curtains as they are on outside French doors (see pic). Plus there's a transom there too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3368.JPG (2.00 MB, 36 views)
Sittler27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Why can't you block the light from those windows ? Looks totally do - able to me. Do it when your wife is gone. And maybe a couple of can lights on dimmers for when your wife complains about the " pitch black room ". I'll have to assume that she doesn't like commercial theaters either then.
She does, but not to sit in all the time. The fact she doesn't sit down there is a lesser issue for me, but she NEVER sits down there. Like maybe once every couple months.

Part of the problem is we have a nice, comfy couch with Panasonic 65VT60 in the living room upstairs and that is enough for her.

Further to this, my kids are like her, even with a novelty of having basically better than a theater in the basement, they never want to watch anything down there.

Then, there's me, who really enjoys it but has lately had this nagging pq obsession with OLED....

Last edited by Sittler27; 08-25-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Sittler27 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,624
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7804 Post(s)
Liked: 9884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Because my wife is a PITA (oh, can I say that on here?). boy that feels good.

No seriously, I used up all my chips with her to even get the HT area of the basement painted a darker colour (for the purpose of better night time viewing), and she doesn't want me to hang curtains on any of the windows.

We put up window screens in the whole house (these included) and the light leaks around the side of them and through them in the case of the ones up the stairs at the back there.

For those, she definitely wouldn't want to hang curtains as they are on outside French doors (see pic). Plus there's a transom there too.
I does look like simple black curtains hanging at the bottom of those stairs would work. This might call for a romantic dinner, a new pair of earrings, and buying your wife " the Notebook " on Blu-ray to watch with her.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #6 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,624
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7804 Post(s)
Liked: 9884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
She does, but not to sit in all the time. The fact she doesn't sit down there is a lesser issue for me, but she NEVER sits down there. Like maybe once every couple months.

Part of the problem is we have a nice, comfy couch with Panasonic 65VT60 in the living room upstairs and that is enough for her.
That's your problem right there ! We have a 40" JVC flat panel in the bedroom and a JVC RS4500 with 2 screens 122" 16:9 and 128" 2.35:1 ) in the theater. Period. Go big or go to bed.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #7 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I does look like simple black curtains hanging at the bottom of those stairs would work. This might call for a romantic dinner, a new pair of earrings, and buying your wife " the Notebook " on Blu-ray to watch with her.
I hear ya, it may work, but the curtain at bottom of stairs also means the curtain would have to go around the side of stairs too (see pic).

This would present a further challenge with convincing her. She wouldn't want a curtain like that hung up there for sure, as it would be an eye sore.

So, let's assume no window/curtain treatments could be done, given all my other info, would you still stick with what I've got?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2919.JPG (1.67 MB, 26 views)
Sittler27 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,624
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7804 Post(s)
Liked: 9884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
I hear ya, it may work, but the curtain at bottom of stairs also means the curtain would have to go around the side of stairs too (see pic).

This would present a further challenge with convincing her. She wouldn't want a curtain like that hung up there for sure, as it would be an eye sore.

So, let's assume no window/curtain treatments could be done, given all my other info, would you still stick with what I've got?
Probably yes. I don't like the look of TV's compared to projected images. I don't even look at them at Cedia. Too small, too " overcooked " looking usually, and I don't like the look of glass in front of my image. I looks like a TV - not a theater. I'm a projector die hard through and through. Anyway, I watch 99% of movies etc. at night anyway. I would try and find a way to block the light from the stairway.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #9 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,902
Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13516 Post(s)
Liked: 11139
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Go with a different fabric, so that you can watch with some lights on, but only if she and the kids will join you. If that is what you want.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,624
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7804 Post(s)
Liked: 9884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Go with a different fabric, so that you can watch with some lights on, but only if she and the kids will join you. If that is what you want.
Maybe swap out that 1.3 HD Pro. for .9 material with the existing frame, at minimal expense.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #11 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Maybe swap out that 1.3 HD Pro. for .9 material with the existing frame, at minimal expense.
Craig, I got to thank you for giving me some ideas for the curtain and helping me think though this a bit.

After reading your replies, I decided I'd talk it through with her, and guess what? She is good with the curtains on both the side windows and at the bottom of the stairs!!

We also talked through her issue with watching in the dark, and the usage of that room given we have a flat panel upstairs, and she thinks the projector/screen is better for there than getting an OLED because it gives us the option to watch a big screen movie when we want (together, which she promises will happen more often). Even though I'll still be down there 90% of the time on my own.

She even agreed that "one day" (maybe next year - in my mind) we'd swap out the 65VT60 plasma upstairs for an OLED.

Thanks again, and I'll post some pics once we get it all setup with the curtains, etc.

Now if I can just convince her to paint the ceiling black....
Craig Peer likes this.
Sittler27 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Since I have some money burning a whole in my pocket, given my room which you've seen in the pics (just imagine it dark at night - not a bat cave, but still pretty good) if I was to swap out my X750R for an X970RB, would I see a marked improvement in picture quality that justifies what would end up being about a $5K expense?

I would like to upgrade to the new series of projectors so as to have reduced lag time for gaming as well, but if that were all I wanted to do the expense would only be about $1.5K to swap out my X750R for the X770RB.
Sittler27 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 12,278
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
An option for you ceiling is curtains. There are several people that have sliding curtains for their walls and ceiling. Kind of a quick and easy way to keep the room as is while getting the blackout treatment when watching movies.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,624
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7804 Post(s)
Liked: 9884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Craig, I got to thank you for giving me some ideas for the curtain and helping me think though this a bit.

After reading your replies, I decided I'd talk it through with her, and guess what? She is good with the curtains on both the side windows and at the bottom of the stairs!!

We also talked through her issue with watching in the dark, and the usage of that room given we have a flat panel upstairs, and she thinks the projector/screen is better for there than getting an OLED because it gives us the option to watch a big screen movie when we want (together, which she promises will happen more often). Even though I'll still be down there 90% of the time on my own.

She even agreed that "one day" (maybe next year - in my mind) we'd swap out the 65VT60 plasma upstairs for an OLED.

Thanks again, and I'll post some pics once we get it all setup with the curtains, etc.

Now if I can just convince her to paint the ceiling black....
Go with Sherwin Williams " Garrett Gray " ( named after Mike ? ) and call it good. You can get a good room without resorting to making it a " Zero Dark Thirty " torture chamber look !
Craig Peer is online now  
post #15 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,624
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7804 Post(s)
Liked: 9884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Since I have some money burning a whole in my pocket, given my room which you've seen in the pics (just imagine it dark at night - not a bat cave, but still pretty good) if I was to swap out my X750R for an X970RB, would I see a marked improvement in picture quality that justifies what would end up being about a $5K expense?

I would like to upgrade to the new series of projectors so as to have reduced lag time for gaming as well, but if that were all I wanted to do the expense would only be about $1.5K to swap out my X750R for the X770RB.
At this point, wait until Cedia. You have a working projector. Watch a movie your wife likes and bide your time until mid Sept. - then re - visit that question!
Craig Peer is online now  
post #16 of 17 Old 08-26-2017, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,902
Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13516 Post(s)
Liked: 11139
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Since I have some money burning a whole in my pocket, given my room which you've seen in the pics (just imagine it dark at night - not a bat cave, but still pretty good) if I was to swap out my X750R for an X970RB, would I see a marked improvement in picture quality that justifies what would end up being about a $5K expense?

I would like to upgrade to the new series of projectors so as to have reduced lag time for gaming as well, but if that were all I wanted to do the expense would only be about $1.5K to swap out my X750R for the X770RB.
No. I would wait to see what is introduced at CEDIA and then decide about an upgrade.

Added
I see that Craig already advised you to do the same. Should be some exciting options this year. Looks like Sony is stepping up.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 08-26-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 08-26-2017, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 23,130
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Since I have some money burning a whole in my pocket, given my room which you've seen in the pics (just imagine it dark at night - not a bat cave, but still pretty good) if I was to swap out my X750R for an X970RB, would I see a marked improvement in picture quality that justifies what would end up being about a $5K expense?
Not really.

Quote:
I would like to upgrade to the new series of projectors so as to have reduced lag time for gaming as well, but if that were all I wanted to do the expense would only be about $1.5K to swap out my X750R for the X770RB.
Do you game? That's the only reason to care about lag.
stanger89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off