BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1768Likes

post #481 of 2463 Old 11-29-2018, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
BenQ is sending me a jew Lk970! Such great service. When the 990 comes out does anyone want to buy my Lk970? I need the extra 1k of lumens.. Mine will be 1 or 2 months old with Dave's harper vision 🙂. I'm in Manhattan Beach if anyone wants to come check it out In a few weeks.
Hahaha i m in the same boat as you, i m waiting to see how good the lk990 will be and might decide to sell my lk970, my problem is its very hard to find buyers in my part of the world hahah.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 2463 Old 11-29-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
Also Woof, did you notice a difference in brightness from LK970 ? I noticed a brilliant color setting so I wonder if it is cranked up a bit to get brightness at the expense of some color coverage. I notice a tad bit of that harshness in the whites of the Lk970.

I’m hoping it can be tamed down some to regain or even increase color gamut width compared to the LK970. The reason I’d want the LK990 is due to the added dynamic dimming, 3D and HDR support. The extra brightness is lowest on my list except maybe to help 3D some. Otherwise the LK970 makes me VERY happy!!!
Hi dave, any new update regarding the lk970 revised harpervision settings, if u can share them plz.

Thanks

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #483 of 2463 Old 11-29-2018, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
When the 990 comes out does anyone want to buy my Lk970? I need the extra 1k of lumens.. Mine will be 1 or 2 months old with Dave's harper vision 🙂. I'm in Manhattan Beach if anyone wants to come check it out In a few weeks.
Yes, their service is fantastic!

Where are you, Manhattan Beach, CA or Manhattan Beach, NY?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 2463 Old 11-29-2018, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post
I had an event in the store last night and happened to have a few guys who wanted to see the Benq LK990 prototype even if it wasn’t the main event. No one complained about black levels. And this was on a relatively dark demo scene (opening kaiju vs gypsy danger battle).

With the W1700 I sometimes used Vivid instead of cinema mode to punch out some extra brightness. But this thing could do Cinema mode all day.

Come to think of it, I should try Man of Steel next. I got it for the store but it always felt so dark and washed out before.

Yep. I’ve been trying to say this for months, to deaf (black level, black level, black level, JVC, JVC, JVC, yada, yada, yada) ears of course!

Watch the dark forrest scenes in GotG2 where they’re talking around the campfire, and better yet when the racoon dude sets the booby traps for the pirates sneaking up on their ship and campsite.

What were their thoughts on the LK990 overall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post

I can answer that.....CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Hi dave, any new update regarding the lk970 revised harpervision settings, if u can share them plz.

Thanks

I’ll be digging into my calibration laptop soon when I can to get some settings for Peter so I can grab those too. Just remember your environment and equipment is different so you’ll have to only use them as a baseline to start with. I personally would say hold off until I get the new LK970 and come up with the latest revised settings.
Aztar35 likes this.
post #485 of 2463 Old 11-30-2018, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I remember thinking Man of Steel was worth watching again - when I watched it in the cinema.

But when I got the UHD BluRay, it was such a dark movie that I never got around to watching it.

We had the disc as a demo disc in the store and honestly, I always hid the disc because of there was a disc that made people question HDR and UHD, it would be this movie

But after I got the LK990 PVT unit, and it’s wowed me so much with its handling of HDR, I figured I’d give it a go.

Even with the setting sun on Krypton creating a dark and dull image normally, there was enough shadow detail. And when the laser gun bursts and explosions occur, there’s just a lot of pop on that image.

Yummy.

Think I might stay at work a little longer today.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #486 of 2463 Old 11-30-2018, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Man JorEl here kicks ass.

No fatso Brando here.

Speaking of Brando

post #487 of 2463 Old 11-30-2018, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Man I REALLY REALLY REALLY HATE this Lois Lane
post #488 of 2463 Old 12-01-2018, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Man of Steel is still incredibly dull in terms of lighting choices but then that is by choice. Where the BenQ shines is when the darkness is suddenly lit by shards of electricity or spaceship engines or laser glows.

I really have to go home and try it on the Sony 760ES
Dave Harper likes this.
post #489 of 2463 Old 12-01-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Man JorEl here kicks ass.

No fatso Brando here.

Speaking of Brando

https://youtu.be/yfpn6WLbAh4

Quote:
I remember thinking Man of Steel was worth watching again - when I watched it in the cinema.

But when I got the UHD BluRay, it was such a dark movie that I never got around to watching it.

We had the disc as a demo disc in the store and honestly, I always hid the disc because of there was a disc that made people question HDR and UHD, it would be this movie

But after I got the LK990 PVT unit, and it’s wowed me so much with its handling of HDR, I figured I’d give it a go.

Even with the setting sun on Krypton creating a dark and dull image normally, there was enough shadow detail. And when the laser gun bursts and explosions occur, there’s just a lot of pop on that image.

Yummy.

Think I might stay at work a little longer today.

Quote:
Man of Steel is still incredibly dull in terms of lighting choices but then that is by choice. Where the BenQ shines is when the darkness is suddenly lit by shards of electricity or spaceship engines or laser glows.

I really have to go home and try it on the Sony 760ES

That’s it, you’ve already drunk the Kool-Aid......it’s over man!!!
post #490 of 2463 Old 12-01-2018, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I have had this projector for ~2 months now and put over 100 hours on it watching SDR through Netflix, 4K through Netflix, and 8 or 10 Bluray movies.

This truly is an awesome projector! I am extremely satisfied with it. For anyone on the fence, here's how I'd rate it just based on my own personal opinion:

Brightness: 10/10
I have to normally leave it in ECO mode or it will burn my eyes on a dark scene with bright areas!

Sharpness: 10/10
It is razor-sharp across the screen. I am constantly amazed just how sharp and clear things are on close-up face scenes. It is truly a sight to behold.

Black Levels: 8/10
This is the ONLY weakness as far as I can see on this projector. You do NOT get inky blacks. If you are able to get fully blacked out area around screen (walls, ceiling, etc.) and all lights off, you can get very good though. I took off two points for this.

Color: 10/10
This projector is supposedly ~96% of DCI-P3 colorspace. No one seems to really know for sure and Benq mysteriously won't publish numbers. After using Dave's settings for SDR and tweaking a little bit, the colors are simply fantastic. It's like I'm watching a 135" OLED TV to me from a color standpoint.

Fan Noise: 10/10 (very quiet in ECO mode)
I do not even notice at all in ECO mode. This is the mode Dave uses for the SDR color calibration. You can hear the fan on Normal, but it is not very loud at all.

Menu/UI: 10/10
No real reason to take points off here. The menu gives you simple way to copy over color settings and gives two user definable settings. I have one setup for SDR and one setup for HDR using Dave's settings. I like having the setup image available at the press of a button.

Placement/Image Adjustment: 10/10
This unit has fantastic image placement with the horizontal and vertical lens shift. No reason to take points off there. Zoom and focus are also simple and manual adjustments.

Mounting: 8/10
When mounting this on the ceiling, the projector has a weird bezel/hump all the way around the bottom (which is the top when ceiling mounting). This caused the universal ceiling mount front bars impossible to sit perfectly flat with the screw holes due to this. It was very annoying, and to get it to work I had to get the screws in without a lot of thread engagement. So, I will be constantly worried these screws might shear off over time. Just a couple points off here because it was a pain in the butt. I suspect other owners with ceiling mounts might encounter the same thing.
The mount I used is the Pearless PRG-UNV-W.

Value: 10/10
I think this projector offers a great value for the price point I received it for. I ordered a brand new unit and actually received a refurb unit through some factory screwup at Benq. So, the dealer was able to refund 30% of my money. The downside is that I only get 1-year warranty instead of the normal 3-year warranty.

Rainbow Effect: 10/10
I have not seen one rainbow in two months of viewing. Not one! No one in family even knows what this is, and no one else has mentioned any issues. I would say I have a medium susceptibility to RBE - it could see it allot with an older Benq DLP projector I have. Everyone's mileage will vary, but for me absolutely zero concern with RBE on this unit with over 100 hours of viewing.

Motion/Frame Interpolation: 8/10
There is a bit of "ghosting" with this projector. It is not as bad as other DLPs I have owned. I am coming from a 600Hz Panasonic plasma, so of course I am going to notice a difference! There are no settings that I can find to adjust this or anything. I would say it is good but not perfect for fast moving sequences.

HDR: ???
As you probably know, this unit does not come with the ability to "do" HDR right out of the box. I am told it is fantastic by others on this thread. For me, I cannot really rate this feature at this time. I have an ARC switcher box that is not passing HDR at 4K through at the moment. I bought another one off of Amazon, but it is also having problems passing the signal through :-(. If I direct hook up my fiber optic cable to the projector and use Dave's settings for HDR (on page #6 I think), the flesh tones look incredibly red. Like everyone has a sun burn. So, I think maybe I am doing something wrong. I have forced the Apple 4K TV to 4K HDR 60Hz with the direct cable test, but maybe I am doing something else wrong?

Dave or others - any idea what I am doing wrong? Do I still need a Vertex Linker to get BT.2020 or DCI-P3 for the colors to look right if I force the Apple 4K TV to output 4K HDR 60Hz? I was thinking forcing the Apple TV 4K to 4K HDR 60Hz would output the colors in BT.2020 mode. This is something I need help understanding.

Let me know if anyone has questions I can help them answer on this unit. I would be happy to help.
Jue Liang likes this.

Last edited by derek2018; 12-01-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: adding RBE, motion
post #491 of 2463 Old 12-01-2018, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek2018 View Post
I have had this projector for ~2 months now and put over 100 hours on it watching SDR through Netflix, 4K through Netflix, and 8 or 10 Bluray movies.

This truly is an awesome projector! I am extremely satisfied with it. For anyone on the fence, here's how I'd rate it just based on my own personal opinion:

I have to normally leave it in ECO mode or it will burn my eyes on a dark scene with bright areas!

It is razor-sharp across the screen. I am constantly amazed just how sharp and clear things are on close-up face scenes. It is truly a sight to behold.

This is the ONLY weakness as far as I can see on this projector. You do NOT get inky blacks. If you are able to get fully blacked out area around screen (walls, ceiling, etc.) and all lights off, you can get very good though. I took off two points for this.

This projector is supposedly ~96% of DCI-P3 colorspace. No one seems to really know for sure and Benq mysteriously won't publish numbers. After using Dave's settings for SDR and tweaking a little bit, the colors are simply fantastic. It's like I'm watching a 135" OLED TV to me from a color standpoint.

I do not even notice at all in ECO mode. This is the mode Dave uses for the SDR color calibration. You can hear the fan on Normal, but it is not very loud at all.

No real reason to take points off here. The menu gives you simple way to copy over color settings and gives two user definable settings. I have one setup for SDR and one setup for HDR using Dave's settings. I like having the setup image available at the press of a button.

This unit has fantastic image placement with the horizontal and vertical lens shift. No reason to take points off there. Zoom and focus are also simple and manual adjustments.

When mounting this on the ceiling, the projector has a weird bezel/hump all the way around the bottom (which is the top when ceiling mounting). This caused the universal ceiling mount front bars impossible to sit perfectly flat with the screw holes due to this. It was very annoying, and to get it to work I had to get the screws in without a lot of thread engagement. So, I will be constantly worried these screws might shear off over time. Just a couple points off here because it was a pain in the butt. I suspect other owners with ceiling mounts might encounter the same thing.

I think this projector offers a great value for the price point I received it for. I ordered a brand new unit and actually received a refurb unit through some factory screwup at Benq. So, the dealer was able to refund 30% of my money. The downside is that I only get 1-year warranty instead of the normal 3-year warranty.

I have not seen one rainbow in two months of viewing. Not one! No one in family even knows what this is, and no one else has mentioned any issues. I would say I have a medium susceptibility to RBE - it could see it allot with an older Benq DLP projector I have. Everyone's mileage will vary, but for me absolutely zero concern with RBE on this unit with over 100 hours of viewing.

As you probably know, this unit does not come with the ability to "do" HDR right out of the box. I am told it is fantastic by others on this thread. For me, I cannot really rate this feature at this time. I have an ARC switcher box that is not passing HDR at 4K through at the moment. I bought another one off of Amazon, but it is also having problems passing the signal through :-(. If I direct hook up my fiber optic cable to the projector and use Dave's settings for HDR (on page #6 I think), the flesh tones look incredibly red. Like everyone has a sun burn. So, I think maybe I am doing something wrong. I have forced the Apple 4K TV to 4K HDR 60Hz with the direct cable test, but maybe I am doing something else wrong?

Dave or others - any idea what I am doing wrong? Do I still need a Vertex Linker to get BT.2020 or DCI-P3 for the colors to look right if I force the Apple 4K TV to output 4K HDR 60Hz? I was thinking forcing the Apple TV 4K to 4K HDR 60Hz would output the colors in BT.2020 mode. This is something I need help understanding.

Let me know if anyone has questions I can help them answer on this unit. I would be happy to help.
Sounds great!

How is it for motion in regards to watching fast moving sports like hockey or football when the signal input is from Network TV like ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX which originate with either a 720P or 1080i camera.

Some 2160P flat panel TVs do not seem to be able to handle fast motion very well and and I am concerned that it might be an issue with 2160P projectors

Thanks for any comment you might have
post #492 of 2463 Old 12-01-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
Sounds great!

How is it for motion in regards to watching fast moving sports like hockey or football when the signal input is from Network TV like ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX which originate with either a 720P or 1080i camera.

Some 2160P flat panel TVs do not seem to be able to handle fast motion very well and and I am concerned that it might be an issue with 2160P projectors

Thanks for any comment you might have
I updated my review above to include motion/interpolation. I give it an 8/10 in this area - read more above for details.
post #493 of 2463 Old 12-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

There is a bit of "ghosting" with this projector. It is not as bad as other DLPs I have owned. I am coming from a 600Hz Panasonic plasma, so of course I am going to notice a difference! There are no settings that I can find to adjust this or anything. I would say it is good but not perfect for fast moving sequences.

Got my replacement from BenQ, just plugged it in. I'm surprised you are saying 10/10 on quiet. Mine is definitely quieter than the one i'm sending back but on echo it's still noticeable, on standard it's definitely there. CAn I ask how far you are from the rear wall? I'm now suspecting I'm not giving it enough room to "breathe". The think definitely puts out heat though. my room noticeably gets warmer with it all closed up.
I'm now looking at installing some cabinet fans in the soffit https://www.acinfinity.com/quiet-cabinet-fans/
Was thinking of pushing fresh air to the rear on the rear left side, then installing another fan on the front right side pulling the hot air away from the projector. I suspect the heat is rising off the front and since i'm only a few inches from the ceiling that hot air is then being pulled into the intake which is only 5" from the rear wall. Which essentially i'm cycling warm air. any other suggestions? I also am going to recut the front door on my soffit so that the entire front of the projector is exposed to give it room to exhaust, since if i close it, it only has 3 inches (wife is going to hate that look though)

I'm still having delayed HDMI going black when starting content on the roku, so now i'm starting to think it's the roku ultra hdmi signal quickly dropping in and out when things play and the benq not liking that. the hdmi drops out for a few seconds, sound starts playing within 3 seconds, but the picture doesnt' for 10.
post #494 of 2463 Old 12-01-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:

As you probably know, this unit does not come with the ability to "do" HDR right out of the box. I am told it is fantastic by others on this thread. For me, I cannot really rate this feature at this time. I have an ARC switcher box that is not passing HDR at 4K through at the moment. I bought another one off of Amazon, but it is also having problems passing the signal through 😞. If I direct hook up my fiber optic cable to the projector and use Dave's settings for HDR (on page #6 I think), the flesh tones look incredibly red. Like everyone has a sun burn. So, I think maybe I am doing something wrong. I have forced the Apple 4K TV to 4K HDR 60Hz with the direct cable test, but maybe I am doing something else wrong?

Nice to see ur enjoying it Dereck, i feel the same about this projector after a month, i wanna add that gaming is just excellent too on it.
For dave's harpervision settings i m using an Hdfury linker which for HDR bt2020 output from any source to the projector and the image is stunning on all accounts, it does seem oversaturated in some movies so i just dial down the color setting and its back to amazing. What u are seeing happens to me when i use those settings with sdr, so it must something not working with forcing hdr to the projector and ur actually sending sdr.
Do u have a pc with MadVr, if so its very easy to send hdr passthrough without a linker and test it.
There is a very high chance u have this issue cause its not sending correct HDR.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #495 of 2463 Old 12-01-2018, 05:38 PM

Mine is setup in the middle of the room (between kitchen and living room), so it is wide-open in terms of air temp. exchange. I think it would be a bad idea to place this within 18" of the back of a wall if it could be avoided. Mine is mounted on a 9.5' ceiling and about 2' more behind where the couch sites. I swear in ECO mode the fan is barely audible to me.
post #496 of 2463 Old 12-01-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I had an event in the store last night and happened to have a few guys who wanted to see the Benq LK990 prototype even if it wasn’t the main event. No one complained about black levels. And this was on a relatively dark demo scene (opening kaiju vs gypsy danger battle).

With the W1700 I sometimes used Vivid instead of cinema mode to punch out some extra brightness. But this thing could do Cinema mode all day.

Come to think of it, I should try Man of Steel next. I got it for the store but it always felt so dark and washed out before.

Yep. I’ve been trying to say this for months, to deaf (black level, black level, black level, JVC, JVC, JVC, yada, yada, yada) ears of course! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Watch the dark forrest scenes in GotG2 where they’re talking around the campfire, and better yet when the racoon dude sets the booby traps for the pirates sneaking up on their ship and campsite.

What were their thoughts on the LK990 overall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post

I can answer that.....CA.

Quote:

Thanks

I’ll be digging into my calibration laptop soon when I can to get some settings for Peter so I can grab those too. Just remember your environment and equipment is different so you’ll have to only use them as a baseline to start with. I personally would say hold off until I get the new LK970 and come up with the latest revised settings.
DAVE if i may, i have a question plz regarding your HDR brightness setting, do u set it based on preference and what looks best to ur eyes or based on hdr 10 clipping pattern, cause i m using a pattern i have to set mine at 52-53 not to clip anything above 0 black, at 46-47 it does looks better in bright scenes but crush some details in dark scenes.
For contrast its spot on for me at 86 same as urs for up to 1000nits.

Also Dave i need ur opinion about screen to pair with the lk970, i curently have a low budget carl"s white 1.1 screen, i ve never seen studioteck 130 in person and i have no way to see it since we dont have it where i live, would u recommend the studioteck 1.3 with this projector, would it be a noticable upgrade specially since ita very expensive.

Ur input would be of great help. Thanks

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970

Last edited by tnaik4; 12-02-2018 at 07:37 AM.
post #497 of 2463 Old 12-04-2018, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Are LK990 lens 93 lp/mm ?

I couldn't help but notice that on the official Benq lk990 page it doesn't make any reference to the optical part of it, no sign of the 93 lp/mm...
Wondering if this omission is intentional or not. Could anyone with contacts with Benq confirm that the lens is exactly the same as the ones in the lk970? also, why on the specs goes from 95% coverage of BT709 to 92%. Here are the two pages for comparisson:

https://business-display.benq.com/en...ors/lk990.html

https://business-display.benq.com/en...ors/lk970.html
post #498 of 2463 Old 12-04-2018, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 990 finally got picked up

I had just brought in Avengers Infinity War to the store today so I could stay back after work.

Did manage to catch a few scenes before we had to pack it away.

Damn it was quite a sight.

Then I put on the W1700.... Didn’t last two minutes before I powered it off.

6000 lumens is addictive.
post #499 of 2463 Old 12-05-2018, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:

I had just brought in Avengers Infinity War to the store today so I could stay back after work.

Looking forward to the LK990 being released in 2019 and getting reviews from various people on how the final production version performs.
post #500 of 2463 Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I have a LK970 for delivery tomorrow and a HDFury Vertex arriving early next week. I will add other components with 4k capability later, but these will be the first 2 4k items in my system.

Initially, I will watch NAS videos in 1080p streamed through Emby on a nVidia Shield and Blu Ray from an Oppo BDP-95. My plan was to connect the nVidia and Oppo devices to the Vertex via HDMI, have Vertex convert and/or upscale to HDR /4k, and send video to the LK970 and audio via Optical to my McIntosh MX150 AVP.

I will incorporate the HarperVision settings to the LK970. Does that set up with the Vertex doing upscaling make sense or should I upscale through the LK970? Any other other setup path recommendations are welcomed.

Kind regards,
Marty
post #501 of 2463 Old 12-06-2018, 07:49 PM

BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli View Post
Hello all,

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I have a LK970 for delivery tomorrow and a HDFury Vertex arriving early next week. I will add other components with 4k capability later, but these will be the first 2 4k items in my system.

Initially, I will watch NAS videos in 1080p streamed through Emby on a nVidia Shield and Blu Ray from an Oppo BDP-95. My plan was to connect the nVidia and Oppo devices to the Vertex via HDMI, have Vertex convert and/or upscale to HDR /4k, and send video to the LK970 and audio via Optical to my McIntosh MX150 AVP.

I will incorporate the HarperVision settings to the LK970. Does that set up with the Vertex doing upscaling make sense or should I upscale through the LK970? Any other other setup path recommendations are welcomed.

Kind regards,

Marty

It sounds like you’ll be playing SDR content and doing a pseudo HDR conversion. I don’t think I would recommend that and can’t vouch for what it would look like using my settings. Most likely these videos won’t be in BT2020 color gamut either so that would throw a wrench in the works as well.

I would just skip the HDR conversion with those videos and maybe only upconvert to 4K SDR Rec709 and hold off with HDR BT2020 with HarperVision until you have the sources that will give you that capability because that is what my settings are based on receiving.
post #502 of 2463 Old 12-07-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
It sounds like you’ll be playing SDR content and doing a pseudo HDR conversion. I don’t think I would recommend that and can’t vouch for what it would look like using my settings. Most likely these videos won’t be in BT2020 color gamut either so that would throw a wrench in the works as well.

I would just skip the HDR conversion with those videos and maybe only upconvert to 4K SDR Rec709 and hold off with HDR BT2020 with HarperVision until you have the sources that will give you that capability because that is what my settings are based on receiving.
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your feedback. I may have an occasional 4k stream from Netflix out of the nVidia, but will start with your suggestions and work up from there. Thanks again, Marty
post #503 of 2463 Old 12-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Finally got the HDFury Vertex, and after hours and hours of A/B testing settings finally have a stable picture for the roku ultra. There's an advanced display setting in the roku to disable the auto adjust refresh rate, as well as put HDR subsampling to 4:4:4

I have the roku ultra to my Aram receiver HDMI set to bypass mode, going to the Oppo 203, then to the HDFury Vertex to the BenQ

Dave, per your reply above, now I'm a bit confused. I watch mostly netflix which now has UHD as well as some content in HDR. Right now I set the roku ultra to 4k 60fps HDR output, going to the Oppo 203. HDR is set to forced (as auto makes the benq flash sometimes going in and out of different content on netflix).

Or should this be HDR to SDR mode Off (BT.2020)?? Is this what "tone mapping" is?

I set target luminance to 600 Nits on the Oppo 203, what's everyone else setting at?

Handshake when turning on takes a while before the HDFury sees both input and output. It shows
INPUT OPPO UDP-203
4K59.934 422 BT709 12b 593MHz 2.2

OUT BenQ PJ EDID: 4K60 420 16b
4k59.934 422 BT709 12b 593MHz 2.2

Now when going thru netflix shows regardless of UHD or HD, previews or strarting new shoes the screen doesn't go blank, and come back (HDMI handshake).
I have the HDFury with out of the box settings hdcp 2.2 (not sure what "follow input (GUI) is), EDID automix mode,, no scaling/passhtru

When showing HDR on netflix I"m seeing
SMPTE ST2084 maxCLL 1048 MaxFALL817
87011AA00200 C233C486C1D808D094903E133D803E A00F3200 18043103 (anyone know what these mean?)

Should I do anyting else to the HDFury? should I change anything? I haven't logged into the GUI yet.
post #504 of 2463 Old 12-09-2018, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 108
LK990 user manual finally released...

https://business-display.benq.com/en.../download.html

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
System: 5.3.4
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1
post #505 of 2463 Old 12-10-2018, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

After another 10hrs of fiddling, I have a setting that doesn't flicker the HDMI!

I have the roku advanced display setting auto adjust display refresh rat to off and HDR subsampling to 422

on the HDFury Vertex I had to set the EDID to setting 11 4k60 444 600MHZ HDR BT2020 All Sound. Even though the BenQ Fixed reads at 4k60 420 300MHZ 8bit 2Ch audio.

I then had to set custom scaling on everything as 422- 2020 12 bit deep color.

I have the Oppo HDR set to auto

the only problem I'm having is I can only see the control4 home screen if I upscale from the Arcam AVR. If I set the AVR as bypass, the HDFury won't upscale it for the projector to see it. any suggestions?

With this setting the HDR shows on Netflix come thru as HDR. Which I'm confused, do I want an actual HDR signal from netflix? some shows I'm getting even HDR10. Dave? Or do I set the EDID of the projector to non HDR and set oppo to HDR forced off BT2020?
post #506 of 2463 Old 12-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

@daveh arper can you take a look at this? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...l#post57248914

my HDFury Vertex EDID on the LK970 is showing 4K60 4:2:0 16b max but according to usermanual HDMI2.0 input should be 4K60 4:4:4 8b?

what are you seeing?
post #507 of 2463 Old 12-10-2018, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
i ll give just a idea cause i really need to test many many things and i just started calibrating it.

Sharpness and clarity is excellent!! i use it to play PC games and on desktop it's literally like my monitor!! it gives u the feeling as it is a giant tv screen not a projector mainly due to clarity and brightness.
This projector is bright, i m using a 135inch 1.1 gain white screen with pj 14feet back and i m getting around 55-60fl on HDR settings and around 45fl on SDR but with laser on eco. (keep in mind my room is totally treated for a jvc projector)
Colors in SDR are very very good , just did a quick calibration and its impressive, as for HDR i m in the process of finding the best settings for it cause the initial ones i used from dave harpervision were good but felt like there is a lot of red in the picture and after checking using chromapure it confirmed it so i m fine tuning it still.
As for RBE i never was sensitive to it and i dont see it here.
at full light output its a little bit loud but once i start watching any movie u dont hear it anymore.
ultra 150 i didnt try watching football yet, might watch an nba game tonight and ill let u know but with everything else i watched so far motion is perfect.
I tried 1080p 120hz as a custom resolution, u can select it and it gives u an image but the 120hz is not any different than 60hz and i think its not working properly, i have a 100hz asus monitor and i can tell right away the smoothness of everything once i use it but on the projector its not any different than 60hz.
BTW just so nobody would do my mistake since i went ahead and bought an HDfury linker to use with this projector to force HDR to it, so far i used my pc and a ps4 pro and both can output HDR without any extra device, ps4 pro actually detect it as an HDR ready display ( maybe its my receiver i dont know but everything is working with HDR normally so far).
Its too early to judge it against my rs440 but i can tell u that if i m going to do a list of head to head between the 2 the rs440 will win in contrast/black level and feature set like motorized zoom etcc... in my opinion, everything else this projector has it in spades!!!
what settings are you putting on the HDFury? auto EDID with the HDR flag set? EDID my vertex is seeing is only 4k60 4:2:2 16bit not the 4:4:4 8b. is HDMI set to 2.2 and scaling auto?
post #508 of 2463 Old 12-11-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
what settings are you putting on the HDFury? auto EDID with the HDR flag set? EDID my vertex is seeing is only 4k60 4:2:2 16bit not the 4:4:4 8b. is HDMI set to 2.2 and scaling auto?
I m using HDfury linker with custom edid : 4k/60 HDR BT2020 4:4:4 600mhz all sound , its the first one i can chose in the custom list.

i tried it on many devices and it works perfectly allowing native HDR passthrough to the projector.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #509 of 2463 Old 12-12-2018, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I m using HDfury linker with custom edid : 4k/60 HDR BT2020 4:4:4 600mhz all sound , its the first one i can chose in the custom list.

i tried it on many devices and it works perfectly allowing native HDR passthrough to the projector.
Yes thanks! this is where I ended up. Last thing is I can't get my control4 home screen to show up (it's 720p) passed thru the oppo unless I set the HDFury to upscale as well to 4k60 444 2020, I don't want that since I want the oppo to scale. The other thing is when I start and stop an HDR show on netflix the screen slightly has a jagged artifact that hiccups if I do no scale on hdfury. Its all smooth if I use the scaler.

But not sure what i'm doing to the picture if i'im scaling on the oppo then scaling again on the hdfury?
post #510 of 2463 Old 12-17-2018, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Woof Woof,

I noted from the usual manual of LK990, I am very surprised that the remote come with LK990 will be different to LK970, LK990 only use the entry level remote like HT1075......it is quite disappointed.

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
System: 5.3.4
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page