BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1804Likes

post #871 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I was not talking about max lumens or how much lumen loss smartco has. I just calculated the lumens he was getting in his setup, using smartco.

Then why did you quote me in response to my answer to Ruined about the lumen loss of SmartEco Mode vs Normal (Automatic Power Control)? Your post seemed off topic and out of the blue, like you misunderstood the conversation that was going on............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
If it were merely their SmartEco feature, they’d just call it that like on all the other projectors that feature that option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
If it is different, one difference is smarteco usually only hits 75% of peak power (hence "eco"), while it appears automatic power control is full range.
Quote:
I never thought of that. Good point, thanks!

Is that something that’s been measured?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Sure, in every BenQ review I recall reading smarteco always seems to have a 20-25,% brightness hit.........
Quote:
.........This doesn’t seem to be the case with the latest HT9060 reviews from Secrets:

Quote:
On his small 92" ST130 screen that is around 1,154 lumens. Chris is using 10' throw, so that would be close to minimum throw, so max lumens with smartco. So Ruined's 1,250 number looks about right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13223 Post(s)
Liked: 10840
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Then why did you quote me in response to my answer to Ruined about the lumen loss of SmartEco Mode vs Normal (Automatic Power Control)? Your post seemed off topic and out of the blue, like you misunderstood the conversation that was going on............
How is it off topic to your question? You questioned the lumen loss? I was showing that Chris got about the same lumen output with smartco engaged as Ruined reported.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 03-13-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #873 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
How is it off topic to your question? You questioned the lumen loss? I was showing that Chris got about the same lumen output with smartco engaged as Ruined reported.

Yes, the lumen loss as compared to normal mode where he said is supposed to be 20-25% less in SmartEco Mode!, which was NOT the case.

Nobody was questioning his SmartEco number. What was in question was whether SmartEco was 20-25% less than the Normal Mode using just Automatic Power Control.

Normal Mode = 212.614 nits
SmartEco Mode = 213.8895 nits

Read the flow I posted above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Only received it yesterday..... was up till 3am this morning then had to go to work...😟 Just give me a chance to get it set up properly...

Initial impressions..

LENS....It is crazy SHARP! And i mean sharp to the extent of embarrassing some high end PJ,s i have / had here!

Convergence.....HA!!!! No need to worry about that.......... being DLP, there NO panels to worry about being mis-aligned ...and it shows, the image is just RAZOR sharp!!! No Halos, NO Fringing, just sharp and clean.

Brightness is not an issue....with 5000 lumens it lights up my 143" Scope with ridiculous ease.

Contrast..... with LOW APL scenes ..Yep its lacking ..... BUT!!!! on mixed content its "Gorgeous"

A good friend ( he has the Sony 760ES and JVC X9500) called in this morning before work to have a quick look ......summery of his first reaction..."WOW" I pointed out the low end Black Level deficiency..... his reply.... " I can live with that"

I am taking Friday OFF to do some extensive comparisons ....will have some more substantial feedback after then.

@woofer , appreciate your efforts ,I sort of know what to expect , looking forward to your feedback none the less . This projector is the ONLY affordable option to the VW5000 for super large screen and adequate HDR, in fact this one can do both . All of the rest available, the flagship options can barely manage 30FL on a 140" scope screen , even then it will need to run on maximum, require higher screen gain materials, anamorphic lens and mounting at the shortest end of the range .

I was told that Robert Silva, the THX standards guru, has a setup that yields 400nits(116FL) , that says everything right there, after all, this is the guy that stated contrast was number one years ago. HDR has changed everything, more brightness is required , for most manufactures it now the weak link in this chain . For HDR the current minimum of 30FL is just not enough , 50FL is where HDR starts to come to life, better from there on . This projector has many characteristics equal or better than many of the current flagship projectors , brightness is in a different league however ,at the price point there really is no rival .

This projector really needs a high contrast grey screen IMHO, it certainly has the additional lumens to allow this without sacrificing too much .
Aztar35 likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #875 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
I think professional calibrators always follow some specific standards, be it for example 16FL for SDR and 30-35FL for HDR, this would defeat the purpose of having the LK series projectors, i honestly dont understand why should i limit the light output to half especially for HDR, this would make this projector a 2000lumens one and there are many good options available today at an affordable price with that light output.
But what affordable projector has 5000+lumens, 4k , excellent lens with excellent clarity and sharpness and being a Laser! I can personally live with not the best black level in very low APL scenes.
If i was paying 20-30k+ i would want it to have everything, heck the 300-400k barco thor has around 6000:1 contrast after modding and is considered probably the best in the world ( until christie releasss their new PJ ) yet some people would say its unwatchable to them because of that.
I bought mine without seeing it cause i trust Dave and he was right, but people should try and see it like Woofer's friend who liked its performance and not just read the specs and dismiss it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
I think it will take some time but I believe we will see more calibrator a shift to higher FL targets for HDR. I would shoot for what the content is mastered at to start. Even SDR is mastered at 100 nits I believe about 30FL. These standards are a bit outdated in my book.
Exactly... In fact i like watching SDR in far higher than 16fL... and HDR in as high as possible until it reaches a point where i can no longer tolerate it..
I m only using ecomode when using MadVR excellent dynamic tone mapping which is very bright indeed, with normal mode some bright scenes are very very bright but boy what a sight.
In eco mode i m getting around 160-170nits and with some settings in Madvr u can make it as bright as normal in bright scenes and as dark as eco in dark scenes, so kind of like smareco lol.
markmon1 and coolgeek like this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440 / BenQ LK970
madVR HTPC with 1080ti / Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Arendal 1723 LCR Monitors / M&K S150 Surrounds in 5.1.4 atmos setup / Yamaha AX2050 AVR / MiniDSP88BM audio processor/ beta3 6 channels Amp .
post #876 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 13223 Post(s)
Liked: 10840
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Yes, the lumen loss as compared to normal mode where he said is supposed to be 20-25% less in SmartEco Mode!, which was NOT the case.

Nobody was questioning his SmartEco number. What was in question was whether SmartEco was 20-25% less than the Normal Mode using just Automatic Power Control.

Normal Mode = 212.614 nits
SmartEco Mode = 213.8895 nits

Read the flow I posted above.
Going by Chris's numbers above, the normal mode brightness and smartco, both are around 1,250 lumens. Chris was close to minimum throw for his 92" screen so that is very close to max calibrated brightness. 1,250 is a lot of loss for a 2,200 lumen manufacturer spec. I agree with you that it does not look like smartco costs you any lumens. The projector is not as bright as I thought it was.

Added
Want to clarify, talking about 9060, not LK970. Don't want a potential LK970 owner reading this as LK970 numbers.
Dave Harper likes this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 03-13-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #877 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Roxiedog, this unit thrives with HDR material. The low apl performance is not great, (below 1%)but everything else is excellent. If you are not RBE sensitive it makes sense to at least take a look and see if it works for you. Also works well with a gray screen I tested some samples from Severtson that worked well with the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Quote:
Only received it yesterday..... was up till 3am this morning then had to go to work...😟 Just give me a chance to get it set up properly... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Initial impressions..

LENS....It is crazy SHARP! And i mean sharp to the extent of embarrassing some high end PJ,s i have / had here!

Convergence.....HA!!!! No need to worry about that.......... being DLP, there NO panels to worry about being mis-aligned ...and it shows, the image is just RAZOR sharp!!! No Halos, NO Fringing, just sharp and clean.

Brightness is not an issue....with 5000 lumens it lights up my 143" Scope with ridiculous ease.

Contrast..... with LOW APL scenes ..Yep its lacking ..... BUT!!!! on mixed content its "Gorgeous" [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

A good friend ( he has the Sony 760ES and JVC X9500) called in this morning before work to have a quick look ......summery of his first reaction..."WOW" I pointed out the low end Black Level deficiency..... his reply.... " I can live with that" [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I am taking Friday OFF to do some extensive comparisons ....will have some more substantial feedback after then. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

@woofer , appreciate your efforts ,I sort of know what to expect , looking forward to your feedback none the less . This projector is the ONLY affordable option to the VW5000 for super large screen and adequate HDR, in fact this one can do both . All of the rest available, the flagship options can barely manage 30FL on a 140" scope screen , even then it will need to run on maximum, require higher screen gain materials, anamorphic lens and mounting at the shortest end of the range .

I was told that Robert Silva, the THX standards guru, has a setup that yields 400nits(116FL) , that says everything right there, after all, this is the guy that stated contrast was number one years ago. HDR has changed everything, more brightness is required , for most manufactures it now the weak link in this chain . For HDR the current minimum of 30FL is just not enough , 50FL is where HDR starts to come to life, better from there on . This projector has many characteristics equal or better than many of the current flagship projectors , brightness is in a different league however ,at the price point there really is no rival .

This projector really needs a high contrast grey screen IMHO, it certainly has the additional lumens to allow this without sacrificing too much .
Dave Harper likes this.

Last edited by 12GAGE; 03-13-2019 at 01:48 PM.
post #878 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Woofer. I definitely appreciate your feedback and I hope you guys like the unit.

Quote:
Quote:
Well?
Only received it yesterday..... was up till 3am this morning then had to go to work...😟 Just give me a chance to get it set up properly... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Initial impressions..

Contrast..... with LOW APL scenes ..Yep its lacking ..... BUT!!!! on mixed content its "Gorgeous" [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

A good friend ( he has the Sony 760ES and JVC X9500) called in this morning before work to have a quick look ......summery of his first reaction..."WOW" I pointed out the low end Black Level deficiency..... his reply.... " I can live with that" [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I am taking Friday OFF to do some extensive comparisons ....will have some more substantial feedback after then. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
post #879 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked: 2529
Quote:

This PJ IS interesting...

To be blunt, no ways around it...its LOW APL performance is POOR!!! BUT...... on the majority of other material i really does look stunning.

On "Black Panther" the DARK car chase/street scenes look VERY "Ordinary" , but on the scenes with the fight near the waterfall its just "Gorgeous" On this particular scene i prefer the image from the LK970 to my own Z1/ RS4500!

Having such shear brightness for HDR really does help.
Spizz, Dave Harper, Ruined and 4 others like this.
post #880 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:

To be blunt, no ways around it...its LOW APL performance is POOR!!! BUT...... on the majority of other material i really does look stunning.

On "Black Panther" the DARK car chase/street scenes look VERY "Ordinary" , but on the scenes with the fight near the waterfall its just "Gorgeous" On this particular scene i prefer the image from the LK970 to my own Z1/ RS4500!

Very nice... so, now we know where scenes starts to look 'normal', where it breaks down a little and where it shines...

From your review, I can already tell that the Sony 760ES will be superior to this projector with scenes like the black car chase in Korea town.. because that scene was so addictively good for me that i re-watched it a dozen times... that was one of my fav scenes so far.. i am loving all scenes like that on that projector...

Where the 760 breaks down is the initial black panther forest fight scene.. that scene seems too dark to see much of anything in many circumstances.. other than that scene the projector was really good.. I am sure any scene brighter than the Waterfall scene, the BenQ will take over...

I hope i can somehow get to see this projector.. would love to see how 'high lumens' like that with HDR content.
post #881 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Roxie, very interesting to hear more and more people like higher lumens for HDR...

I hope more calibrators jump on board...
post #882 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:

I will have to check the Black Panther scene out then. I don’t have that disc yet. The low APL scenes I’ve tried (raccoon in forrest killing pirates in GotG2) all looked amazing to me. Maybe some settings need tweaked?

You never answered. Was this with HDR, my settings, etc.?

Quote:
Going by Chris's numbers above, the normal mode brightness and smartco, both are around 1,250 lumens. Chris was close to minimum throw for his 92" screen so that is very close to max calibrated brightness. 1,250 is a lot of loss for a 2,200 lumen manufacturer spec. I agree with you that it does not look like smartco costs you any lumens. The projector is not as bright as I thought it was.

Added

Want to clarify, talking about 9060, not LK970. Don't want a potential LK970 owner reading this as LK970 numbers.

OK thanks for explaining better Mike!

Quote:
Roxie, very interesting to hear more and more people like higher lumens for HDR...

I hope more calibrators jump on board...

Many won’t. They’re too stuck on their old Paradigms and biases.
jherring69 and coolgeek like this.
post #883 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many won’t. They’re too stuck on their old Paradigms and biases.
Quite unfortunate... at least one is actively blocking everyone he doesn't agree with so no chance he will learn anything new...
post #884 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
woofer, that was exactly my initial impression when i first got my 970, i couldnt believe the sharpness/clarity of that lens, me being a PC gamer too this was a huge advantage with 4k gaming.

Yes its not the best in very low APL scenes and thats why i kept my rs440 for those specific movies, but everything else is excellent!!

After 4months i m still finding some tweaks to improve it.

and if u consider the price this unit can be had for, its an amazing value.
Hi Tnaik, I currently have a RS440 and I am looking to move to the LK990 I was wondering if you noticed much difference in input lag in gaming going from the RS440 to LK970? One of the things that bugs me with the JVC is the long sync times, how are these with the LK? Also which specific movies do you still use the RS440 for? I wont have the ability to keep the JVC so just wondering what I'll be missing.

Thanks in advance

Scott
post #885 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi everyone,

I am very impressed by your posts on the Benq LK970/990 projector. I currently have a sony vw285es, which is just able to display SDR on my 150" screen. I would like to upgrade to a true HDR capable projector.

So I am wondering where you bought your Benq (I'm in the U.S.), and, if it is possible, can you please share the price you got through PM?

I tried to sent PM to some of you, but I was informed by the system that "To be able to send PMs your post count must be 15 or greater."

Thank you a lot in advance!
post #886 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue Liang View Post
Hi everyone,

I am very impressed by your posts on the Benq LK970/990 projector. I currently have a sony vw285es, which is just able to display SDR on my 150" screen. I would like to upgrade to a true HDR capable projector.

So I am wondering where you bought your Benq (I'm in the U.S.), and, if it is possible, can you please share the price you got through PM?

I tried to sent PM to some of you, but I was informed by the system that "To be able to send PMs your post count must be 15 or greater."

In HDR mode, the 285 will not be able to do a 150 inch screen any justice... I think Dave Harper can help you with the BenQ... he also have an excellent experience in calibrating it..
post #887 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quite unfortunate... at least one is actively blocking everyone he doesn't agree with so no chance he will learn anything new...
Yea, but this benefits the many others sick of the same rhetoric, I'd call this a win win. Those "genuinely" interested realize the advantages , but at the same time are intelligent enough to recognize and accept all the other features for what they are . I haven't seen a projector yet that does not have compromises , every last one does, including EVERY flagship model . Besides, it's not hard to tell when a product is exceptional, you can expect the same tag team to show up and start picking. Same individuals, same MO , just a different projector .
jherring69 and silver700 like this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #888 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea, but this benefits the many others sick of the same rhetoric, I'd call this a win win. Those "genuinely" interested realize the advantages , but at the same time are intelligent enough to recognize and accept all the other features for what they are . I haven't seen a projector yet that does not have compromises , every last one does, including EVERY flagship model . Besides, it's not hard to tell when a product is exceptional, you can expect the same tag team to show up and start picking. Same individuals, same MO , just a different projector .
Haha... i like the way you think Roxie!
post #889 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Outside the VW5000 and the LK 970/990 nothing else will be sufficient on a 150" screen, I was trying to make the same thing happen , even with a lot of help it was still going to be weak for HDR. Either stick with a much smaller screen 130" or less and add a lot of gain or go with a projector with the ability to do it properly accept the areas a little weaker . The closest projector that can do it all is the new Christi , apparently it's a tad over the budget for most .

post #890 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Quote:
In HDR mode, the 285 will not be able to do a 150 inch screen any justice... I think Dave Harper can help you with the BenQ... he also have an excellent experience in calibrating it..

I’m not a dealer but I can help find one I guess. I got good deals going direct to BenQ actually, which is why I haven’t used a dealer for one in awhile.

I have my LK970/anamorphic lens combo available here in Dealer’s section of the Classifieds, so I can’t move onto the LK990 for testing until that’s sold.
post #891 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

The unit definitely struggles with low apl performance. Especially all black scenes with minimal highlights. I really wish BenQ would hire a dynamic dimming guru to program the algorithm for the low end. Then the unit would give the best performance possible given the technology limits of the single chip dlp. An manual iris and internal color filter would be on the wishlist too while I am at it. One interesting thing, that I thought I would share was while measuring 100% white pattern the unit pulled only 70% power draw. On certain scenes of infinity wars, it maxes out at 100%. So even measuring 3600 calibrated lumens on the white pattern, there is still excess brightness in reserve for actual content. The algorithm rarely ventures below 50% draw on the low side however. I wish it was more aggressive especially below 1% apl; those are essentially all black scenes anyway.

Quote:

mbw23air likes this.
post #892 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
I just decided to Review one. Why not? I am excited.

I have an amazing 995ES for sale. Send me a PM. :)
post #893 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Quote:
woofer, that was exactly my initial impression when i first got my 970, i couldnt believe the sharpness/clarity of that lens, me being a PC gamer too this was a huge advantage with 4k gaming.

Yes its not the best in very low APL scenes and thats why i kept my rs440 for those specific movies, but everything else is excellent!!

After 4months i m still finding some tweaks to improve it.

and if u consider the price this unit can be had for, its an amazing value.
Hi Tnaik, I currently have a RS440 and I am looking to move to the LK990 I was wondering if you noticed much difference in input lag in gaming going from the RS440 to LK970? One of the things that bugs me with the JVC is the long sync times, how are these with the LK? Also which specific movies do you still use the RS440 for? I wont have the ability to keep the JVC so just wondering what I'll be missing.

Thanks in advance

Scott
Lag time is identical to RS440 in low input mode, if u are a gamer, it is a no contest, the LK brightness/pop/sharpness make games look like ur playing on a huge monitor, it is that sharp and accross the screen.
Mostly dark movies, like Overlord for example which has many dark scenes, i guess the harry potter series also since i hear its pretty dark but didnt watch it yet, usually 3 out of 10 movies i watch on the RS440.
Yesterday i watched the newly released 4k HDR Mortal Engine on the Lk970 and this movie is like its made to be played on the BenQ, sharpness out of this world and image/color pop like crazy.

EDIT: sorrt forgot to answer about the sync times, its pretty fast changing from presets or from source to source, i would time it when i m home but probably around 5sec.

JVC DLA X590/RS440 / BenQ LK970
madVR HTPC with 1080ti / Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Arendal 1723 LCR Monitors / M&K S150 Surrounds in 5.1.4 atmos setup / Yamaha AX2050 AVR / MiniDSP88BM audio processor/ beta3 6 channels Amp .

Last edited by tnaik4; 03-13-2019 at 05:35 PM.
post #894 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Looking forward to it. I love your reviews man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
I just decided to Review one. Why not? I am excited.
joerod and silver700 like this.
post #895 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 5945 Post(s)
Liked: 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencas View Post
It appears from the link that Harper posted (repeated below) that there is indeed a "circulatory liquid cooling system" in addition to the heat pipe cooling system. The former appears to have a radiator at the front of the projector (probably with a fan behind it) and a reservoir (expansion tank) much like in an automobile. So leaks are indeed a possibility.

I had to scrap my 73" Mits crt rptv years ago when the green crt tube began leaking glycol coolant onto a high voltage circuit board.

https://business-display.benq.com/en...ors/lk990.html
How long was this running before it leaked? What do you think is more likely? A liquid cooling leak? Or a fan bearings wearing out and it becoming very noisy and needing replaced?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #896 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 5945 Post(s)
Liked: 4017
Quote:
I m only using ecomode when using MadVR excellent dynamic tone mapping which is very bright indeed, with normal mode some bright scenes are very very bright but boy what a sight.
In eco mode i m getting around 160-170nits and with some settings in Madvr u can make it as bright as normal in bright scenes and as dark as eco in dark scenes, so kind of like smareco lol.
Yep, with madVR dynamic tone mapping, you could be back into the SDR range for your HDR and it still looks fantastic.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #897 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Liquid cooling has been around for a long time in projectors. My Sim2 MICO 50 had liquid cooling back in 2009, and I bet it wasn’t the first one.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #898 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2839 Post(s)
Liked: 1577
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I would talk to Dave Harper. He knows this machine inside-out and also does calibration.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #899 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Agreed. The things MadVR can do are amazing. It singlehandedly extended the life of my Sony 1100 at least a few more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:
Yep, with madVR dynamic tone mapping, you could be back into the SDR range for your HDR and it still looks fantastic.
post #900 of 2586 Old 03-13-2019, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Outside the VW5000 and the LK 970/990 nothing else will be sufficient on a 150" screen, I was trying to make the same thing happen , even with a lot of help it was still going to be weak for HDR. Either stick with a much smaller screen 130" or less and add a lot of gain or go with a projector with the ability to do it properly accept the areas a little weaker . The closest projector that can do it all is the new Christi , apparently it's a tad over the budget for most .
Quote:
I’m not a dealer but I can help find one I guess. I got good deals going direct to BenQ actually, which is why I haven’t used a dealer for one in awhile.

I have my LK970/anamorphic lens combo available here in Dealer’s section of the Classifieds, so I can’t move onto the LK990 for testing until that’s sold.
Quote:
I am now using a Panasonic UB820 to convert HDR to SDR, combining with some tweaks of custom color temp on the projector (which gives me ~27 FL, 92 nits) to play my UHD HDR movies, which gives me an acceptable image quality.

Before using the UB820, I mainly used an Oppo 203 to output HDR contents. I was using my own custom gamma curve (similar to the german curves, but more aggressive) combining the tweaks on the projector to get an OK image quality. I also tried some high gain and ALR screens, but didn't like them due to the hot spot issue.

With my current setup, UB820 does the tone mapping and outputs everything in SDR format, with the peak brightness being 92 nits. So I am definitely looking for more brightness, much more! I was considering VW5000, but its price makes me hesitant. RS4500 is much cheaper (still expensive though), but its brightness is still far from being adequate. I do like high contrast, I love my OLED TVs, but high contrast with low brightness (~100 nits) is like a car with good handling but only 100 horse power.

It looks like the benq could be a reasonable alternative, the only problem is I don't know from where I can get quotes. It would be great if you can help me find a dealer.
Dave Harper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page