BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1797Likes

post #1291 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 2313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Is 'Rouge One' the sequel to Rogue One wherein they launch an attack upon the Moulin Rouge?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I am just replying to what he said and posted. He said uncalibrated he was getting 110% of Rec709. His drawing does not show that.
Mike i m not the one doing the calculations, i m no expert, if u open the picture its right there on lower left (measured gamut :111% rec709)
Now if chromapure is wrong i have no clue, i m just stating what i got.
Dave Harper and bobof like this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #1293 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2708 Post(s)
Liked: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
here u go bobof, this just without any calibration whatsoever ofcourse.
Thanks. It's the same deal, if you join the dots there between your measured blue and green you'll see there are REC709 colours that it can't display to the left of the line, same as my JVC without the colour filter engaged.

I'll have a word with Tom in the CP3 thread, but I don't think what CP3 is reporting here is a useful number as it is just calculating the area, not whether it is actually covering REC709. If you put the same projector into Lightspace for example and generated a 3DLUT you'd get a number substantially <100% because it can't map the colours at the green/blue edge of the gamut accurately.

I've added the triangle showing you what this gamut means relative to REC709 if you join the dots (assumes you've got to the native gamut primaries here)

And by way of explanation as to why this way of reporting gamut coverage is not very sensible - see the following gamut which would be well over 100% by area of REC709 but completely rubbish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
But the measurements and sweeps aren’t linear and the green point is higher up the chart so the actual rec709 (on your black line you added) could actually have been reached and gone beyond that point, at which time what usually happens is the color veers off to the right edge of the gamut chart, which is normal when a display “runs out of gas (color). You can see the effect here in these images (as you probably already know, but good for others):
Spoiler!
On the assumption that the green points measured and discussed represents the native green and the blue represents the native blue, then what you describe can't happen; the maximum gamut will always be the straight line between the two. Those curved responses you mention are the result of trying to map a larger gamut into smaller usually and represent a "best fit" attempt.
But if these charts don't represent the maximum native gamut of the projection then "anything could happen".

I would have thought the BENQ chart at least would be the maximum native gamut though, there is no reason for them to show such a large variance on blue otherwise.

Look, I agree with you that this should all be tempered with actually viewing it. It is quite possible (likely even) that extra brightness is of a benefit to the end image too (the brightness of course being the missing dimension on the CIE diagram in terms of colour volume). But these discussions haven't come from that angle, they've come from correction of mis-interpretation of results. I just want to make sure we try and frame discussions that do involve numbers accurately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rec709silly.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	2541476   Click image for larger version

Name:	rec709.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	2541478  
Reddig likes this.

Last edited by bobof; 03-19-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 12673 Post(s)
Liked: 10303
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Mike i m not the one doing the calculations, i m no expert, if u open the picture its right there on lower left (measured gamut :111% rec709)
Now if chromapure is wrong i have no clue, i m just stating what i got.
It is calculating area, but it can't be 100% of Rec709, because it is short on one whole side.
Reddig and tnaik4 like this.
post #1295 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
........On the assumption that the green points measured and discussed represents the native green and the blue represents the native blue, then what you describe can't happen; the maximum gamut will always be the straight line between the two. Those curved responses you mention are the result of trying to map a larger gamut into smaller usually and represent a "best fit" attempt.

But if these charts don't represent the maximum native gamut of the projection then "anything could happen".

I would have thought the BENQ chart at least would be the maximum native gamut though, there is no reason for them to show such a large variance on blue otherwise.

Look, I agree with you that this should all be tempered with actually viewing it. It is quite possible (likely even) that extra brightness is of a benefit to the end image too (the brightness of course being the missing dimension on the CIE diagram in terms of colour volume). But these discussions haven't come from that angle, they've come from correction of mis-interpretation of results. I just want to make sure we try and frame discussions that do involve numbers accurately.

Not true. I have and done exactly what I said. IF the gamut point were lower in amplitude than the rec709 green point I’d agree with you on a smaller gamut trying to hit a larger one, but this isn’t the case here. It’s higher in amplitude and only the phase is off, which you can correct. I do just that with my calibration of this machine. Thus by moving the phase to the correct angle/point it then puts those other points within the triangle. As I said you can see this when you do a sweep and color checker chart.
bobof likes this.
post #1296 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 02:31 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Not true. I have and done exactly what I said. IF the gamut point were lower in amplitude than the rec709 green point I’d agree with you on a smaller gamut trying to hit a larger one, but this isn’t the case here. It’s higher in amplitude and only the phase is off, which you can correct. I do just that with my calibration of this machine. Thus by moving the phase to the correct angle/point it then puts those other points within the triangle. As I said you can see this when you do a sweep and color checker chart.
I don't think you're right here, remember I said if these represent the native primaries. When you see the graphs curve like that it is as a result of gamut mapping in the display, it isn't a natural panel response (the natural panel response would be straight lines out from the native white point to the primaries). That gamut mapping can't put any points outside of the triangle bounded by the NATIVE primaries. If you draw the triangle on the graphs you provided you'll see this (I've done it here). You can't push any green outside the triangle if the green in the chart is the native green.
As I say though if the green shown isn't the native green then all bets are off. We could be looking at anything.

Edit: it would be possible to make the green "more green" if the green shown in these CIE diagrams from Benq is not actually the native green, but the native green + yellow or + red. If it is the case that this green is a mixed green then sure, you could move green further out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4f3b1893ee13dc337f34cc441a62e019.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2541490  

Last edited by bobof; 03-19-2019 at 03:08 PM.
post #1297 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I don't think you're right here, remember I said if these represent the native primaries. When you see the graphs curve like that it is as a result of gamut mapping in the display, it isn't a natural panel response (the natural panel response would be straight lines out from the native white point to the primaries). That gamut mapping can't put any points outside of the triangle bounded by the NATIVE primaries. If you draw the triangle on the graphs you provided you'll see this (I've done it here). You can't push any green outside the triangle if the green in the chart is the native green.

As I say though if the green shown isn't the native green then all bets are off. We could be looking at anything.

Edit: it would be possible to make the green "more green" if the green shown in these CIE diagrams from Benq is not actually the native green, but the native green + yellow or + red. If it is the case that this green is a mixed green then sure, you could move green further out.

I’m not sure you’re reading what I wrote completely. On the LK970 graphs (not the graphs I posted, which are NOT from the LK970. They’re only there to show how the sweeps curve when they run out of that color).

On the LK970 gamut that tnaik4 posted, you can clearly see the measured green point is HIGHER (in amplitude) than the rec709 green point. On the graphs you just posted and are using for your stated position, it is LOWER. That isn’t the case with the LK970.

Until someone shows a sweep (and not just a final 2D saturation/phase point, you don’t know if the ACTUAL green at the rec709 point isn’t actually there with some calibration adjustments. What tnaik4 is showing is just to show how BenQ set it up to map when getting a rec709 green image pattern, which is wrong (for that mode). This is why many projectors need calibration, to bring them in line. Which is what I am saying is possible because the green point is HIGHER than the rec709 point, most likely due to it running out of gas shortly after achieving the rec709 point, thus veering to the right of the gamut chart ABOVE the rec709 point. This is a phase/tint issue, which can/should be able to be calibrated out.
post #1298 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I recall ChAnthony doing a sweep for LK990. Might be useful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhanthony View Post
Hi Guys,

Attached the screen capture of the measurements of LK990 which I took on the first day.

LK990 just likes all laser base projector output not very linear for calibration, I have to make some compromises. Okay, the result is not that bad but under my expectation......as BenQ always claim their color accuracy is very good, at least my HT1075 can reach very low dE.

In LK990, I believe the color hue on blue green and cyan are the biggest challenge for me.

And have to clarify that the 0% IRE should be 0.06 instead of 0.6.

BenQ will pick up the projector for checking.

HDR

SDR

bobof likes this.
post #1299 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
It is calculating area, but it can't be 100% of Rec709, because it is short on one whole side.
Still, better than some other train wreck 4K projectors just released, these machines actually turn on and work without any problems

They're even IP6 water resistant, you can take it in the shower with you on a Friday night haha and it'll still work fine How good is that!....... oh damn it that was a dust rating.... I really need to stop bathing with my BenQ.. we only just met haha

At the end of the day, a graph is a graph, it's not real world viewing.

This image shows what 12K projector can do to a 40K projector. I don't see any issues with colours in any of the images woofer has posted aside from the fact it's not fully calibrated, therefore WILL look better again Oh and it's not a 990.

I sense a changing of the guard is at hand as more and more folk lean back towards single chip devices to be rid of the problems that continually plague 3 chip devices
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	970_Z1_compare_detail_left_BP.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	990.5 KB
ID:	2541584  
Dave Harper, woofer and Jue Liang like this.
post #1300 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 04:51 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre View Post
Still, better than some other train wreck 4K projectors just released, these machines actually turn on and work without any problems

They're even IP6 water resistant, you can take it in the shower with you on a Friday night haha and it'll still work fine How good is that!....... oh damn it that was a dust rating.... I really need to stop bathing with my BenQ.. we only just met haha

This image shows what 12K projector can do to a 40K projector. I don't see any issues with colours in any of the images woofer has posted aside from the fact it's not fully calibrated, therefore WILL look better again Oh and it's not a 990.

I sense a changing of the guard is at hand as more and more folk lean back towards single chip devices to be rid of the problems that continually plague 3 chip devices
A graph is a graph until it is misunderstood or misrepresented in the interest of making a point, and then it is... something else.
This really isn't a my projector your projector thing and it is annoying that some folk are seeming to characterising it as such or making digs at this that or the other projector tech. As I've already said, my own X7900 doesn't meet REC709 green without the filter engaged either. It's about trying to understand and clarify graphs which are being used to make a particular narrative. This all started with a chart that definitely was not the representative response of an LK970 (well, not without a filter bolted to it, anyway) being used to make the point that the P3 coverage is very high (which it isn't).
venkatesh_m likes this.
post #1301 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 05:11 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
I’m not sure you’re reading what I wrote completely. On the LK970 graphs (not the graphs I posted, which are NOT from the LK970. They’re only there to show how the sweeps curve when they run out of that color).

On the LK970 gamut that tnaik4 posted, you can clearly see the measured green point is HIGHER (in amplitude) than the rec709 green point. On the graphs you just posted and are using for your stated position, it is LOWER. That isn’t the case with the LK970.

Until someone shows a sweep (and not just a final 2D saturation/phase point, you don’t know if the ACTUAL green at the rec709 point isn’t actually there with some calibration adjustments. What tnaik4 is showing is just to show how BenQ set it up to map when getting a rec709 green image pattern, which is wrong (for that mode). This is why many projectors need calibration, to bring them in line. Which is what I am saying is possible because the green point is HIGHER than the rec709 point, most likely due to it running out of gas shortly after achieving the rec709 point, thus veering to the right of the gamut chart ABOVE the rec709 point. This is a phase/tint issue, which can/should be able to be calibrated out.
I am reading it. What do you mean by "amplitude"? You mean because the green point is seemingly outside the REC709 triangle?

It is only outside the triangle in one direction really which means it isn't a given this can be fixed by calibration. If it were outside the triangle in both directions (eg, in the same vertical position but a bit further to the left) it could definitely be fixed at least by 3DLUT if not by internal CMS controls.

If this were a pure RGB mixing display showing 0,255,0 at its native gamut it definitely couldn't be fixed as there isn't any way to remove yellow / red once you are already at 0,255,0. On my JVC the only way you can achieve this is by using the cinema filter to remove the yellow light, which pushes the green primary further out (well, stops it being pulled in I guess might be a better way of describing it)

However I understand this display is not pure RGB, that it has a yellow component to the light being projected also which BENQ do for brightness. If the CMS allows the ratio of that yellow light to be controlled (directly or indirectly) then maybe it can get pulled back.

I'm just a bit surprised that in this thread which is now 40-odd pages long I couldn't seem to find much of anything being measured in that way achieving REC709 coverage.

If the projector is achieving it then great, that is good news, but the charts which were being used to make these points weren't making these points! . Would be good to see some more results of these calibrated to understand what they can achieve. It is all very wooly at the moment. I'm sure it makes sense in what you've seen in your own measurements but there isn't anything I've seen published which agrees with "very high P3 coverage" or even "100% REC709 coverage". There is a dearth of quality calibrated data for these.
post #1302 of 2564 Old 03-19-2019, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7093 Post(s)
Liked: 8423
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre View Post

I'll have to compare scenes from the first 10 minutes of that film - most too dark to effectively photograph - before I declare the RS4500 beat by the BenQ. However, if you have a really big screen and a moderate budget, there isn't much else as bright as these at this price, and you can't have it all for this price point.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #1303 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
If doing CIH, a better alternative might be to use a Lumagen in combination with the Auto Aspect feature to deal with this all automatically, scaling down 16:9 content to use less panel, and driving masks at the same time. Given that you're implicitly happy in such a setup with the pixel density from the 2.4:1 anamorphic lens, leaving it in place for 16:9 content shouldn't be a big deal. Doesn't help with CIA or CIW though.

I do precisely nothing with my Lumagen in circuit for aspect changes; the masks - for all sources, including streaming stuff off Netflix etc - move into position by themselves (having programmed some control logic into a raspberry PI in my case, but any control system could also do this). And usually before the JVC has re-synced and displayed an image on screen. It is very cool in operation.
This sounds really good. I've not used a Lumagen and not aware what 'Auto Aspect' refers to.

Assuming a permanently mounted anamorphic lens and a CIH setup (because I agree, if the pixel density works for 2.4:1 it should work for 16:9 given a constant seating position), would this work in combination with an AT masking screen (ie only the front edge of the mask isn't acoustically transparent).

I ask because I am looking to do exactly this, but my masking has to be acoustically transparent to accommodate the LCR (which fall outside of the width of a 16:9 ratio and just inside 2.4:1). I'm concerned about the masking itself being illuminated in 16:9 mode.

Incidentally - interested in your control logic programming, as a developer myself.
post #1304 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
I am reading it. What do you mean by "amplitude"? You mean because the green point is seemingly outside the REC709 triangle?

It is only outside the triangle in one direction really which means it isn't a given this can be fixed by calibration. If it were outside the triangle in both directions (eg, in the same vertical position but a bit further to the left) it could definitely be fixed at least by 3DLUT if not by internal CMS controls.

If this were a pure RGB mixing display showing 0,255,0 at its native gamut it definitely couldn't be fixed as there isn't any way to remove yellow / red once you are already at 0,255,0. On my JVC the only way you can achieve this is by using the cinema filter to remove the yellow light, which pushes the green primary further out (well, stops it being pulled in I guess might be a better way of describing it)

However I understand this display is not pure RGB, that it has a yellow component to the light being projected also which BENQ do for brightness. If the CMS allows the ratio of that yellow light to be controlled (directly or indirectly) then maybe it can get pulled back.

I'm just a bit surprised that in this thread which is now 40-odd pages long I couldn't seem to find much of anything being measured in that way achieving REC709 coverage.

If the projector is achieving it then great, that is good news, but the charts which were being used to make these points weren't making these points! . Would be good to see some more results of these calibrated to understand what they can achieve. It is all very wooly at the moment. I'm sure it makes sense in what you've seen in your own measurements but there isn't anything I've seen published which agrees with "very high P3 coverage" or even "100% REC709 coverage". There is a dearth of quality calibrated data for these.

By amplitude I guess I just mean the height in relation to the y axis of the graph, above the rec709 green target point. Sorry, my old TV broadcasting career working with vector-scopes, waveform monitors, etc. comes out sometimes still.

I’ll try to find some graphs from prior sessions and do some new ones, maybe when the 990 arrives. Here’s some that I found on my phone that I am pretty sure are from the LK970.

Pre?)

Post?)

Sweep:
bobof likes this.
post #1305 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 07:38 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
By amplitude I guess I just mean the height in relation to the y axis of the graph, above the rec709 green target point. Sorry, my old TV broadcasting career working with vector-scopes, waveform monitors, etc. comes out sometimes still.

I’ll try to find some graphs from prior sessions and do some new ones, maybe when the 990 arrives. Here’s some that I found on my phone that I am pretty sure are from the LK970.

Pre?)

Post?)

Sweep:
That looks a lot more sensible, though as always hard to be sure looking at these in 2D without knowing that the luminance is also tracking correctly.

I guess it's only possible to do what you've done here by culling a load of light as (I'm imagining) the yellow segment of the colour wheel setup (that gives you the searing 5000 lumens) is what is responsible for pulling the green away from REC709 and towards yellow. How much light is lost to achieve REC709? That will represent quite a contrast hit as well I guess (as black will stay the same but dynamic range is reduced)?
post #1306 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I saw on a website that the minimum throw on the 970 was 13’11”. If so, my room is only 16 feet deep so would I even be able to use it? It’s 22+ inches deep and I assume I need to leave space between the projector and wall? If I could manage it, would there be other negatives. I had always gone off throw ratios but saw this and it made me hesitate.
post #1307 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doran View Post
I saw on a website that the minimum throw on the 970 was 13’11”. If so, my room is only 16 feet deep so would I even be able to use it? It’s 22+ inches deep and I assume I need to leave space between the projector and wall? If I could manage it, would there be other negatives. I had always gone off throw ratios but saw this and it made me hesitate.
Depends on your screen height. The user manual contains a a table that should help. The projector has a pretty short throw, actually, so it will likely work for you.
post #1308 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
That looks a lot more sensible, though as always hard to be sure looking at these in 2D without knowing that the luminance is also tracking correctly.

I guess it's only possible to do what you've done here by culling a load of light as (I'm imagining) the yellow segment of the colour wheel setup (that gives you the searing 5000 lumens) is what is responsible for pulling the green away from REC709 and towards yellow. How much light is lost to achieve REC709? That will represent quite a contrast hit as well I guess (as black will stay the same but dynamic range is reduced)?

I believe I recall seeing 81 nits reported on one of them. So this must have been my “Bright SDR “ setting calibration for things like sports. Contrasts looked as good as other modes and it’s the best I’ve ever seen football presented in my theater....EVER! That includes a long line of projectors passing through here including the venerable Sony G90 and Electrohome Marquee 9500LC 9” CRT Projectors and the Sony VW885ES as bookends.
bobof and JohnnyWilkinson like this.
post #1309 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 01:04 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWilkinson View Post
This sounds really good. I've not used a Lumagen and not aware what 'Auto Aspect' refers to.

Assuming a permanently mounted anamorphic lens and a CIH setup (because I agree, if the pixel density works for 2.4:1 it should work for 16:9 given a constant seating position), would this work in combination with an AT masking screen (ie only the front edge of the mask isn't acoustically transparent).

I ask because I am looking to do exactly this, but my masking has to be acoustically transparent to accommodate the LCR (which fall outside of the width of a 16:9 ratio and just inside 2.4:1). I'm concerned about the masking itself being illuminated in 16:9 mode.

Incidentally - interested in your control logic programming, as a developer myself.
My screen is a Screen Research Supreme E-mask with electric top / bottom masks in AT black fabric (http://www.screenresearch.com/websit...ked_e-mask.php). The black AT fabric isn't really that black IMHO. My JVC does manage to light up the masks with it's black level in some scenes, so I'm reasonably sure you might have similar issues with side masks, though maybe the raised black level from something like a Benq means your eye is in a different zone and you might not notice it as much, who knows, expensive experiment! Having said that, folk say you don't notice the grey pillarbox bars as much as letterbox bars, so maybe you get away with it.

I do wonder though if having the space available at the front wall (I don't) you're not better off having only the centre within the screen area, with the LCR just outside the screen edges. That would let you have solid side masking with velvet, which should much minimise the issue.

There isn't really much logic to doing this, I'm using it as a pet project to pick up Python out of work time so please no laughing at the back (I'm a hardware engineer mostly these days). The Lumagen is configured from its menus to send an update out every time there is an input change, which includes if it detects a new aspect ratio from the content image analysis. If that happens the Lumagen if appropriately configured changes its scaling automatically to expand or contract the image, and then on seeing the update with the aspect I send a command to my screen. In my case I request a particular URL as I've got my screen RS232 controller hooked up to something that lays on an IP interface.
I posted an early version here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...l#post57484360
I'm expanding it at the moment to also change modes on my projector for HDR content, and maybe some other stuff, but that script is a bit upside down at the moment awaiting a refactoring.
post #1310 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 244
DAVE when are u getting the 990? I wanna know if it is a good idea to step up to it from the 970

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #1311 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
My screen is a Screen Research Supreme E-mask with electric top / bottom masks in AT black fabric (http://www.screenresearch.com/websit...ked_e-mask.php). The black AT fabric isn't really that black IMHO. My JVC does manage to light up the masks with it's black level in some scenes, so I'm reasonably sure you might have similar issues with side masks, though maybe the raised black level from something like a Benq means your eye is in a different zone and you might not notice it as much, who knows, expensive experiment! Having said that, folk say you don't notice the grey pillarbox bars as much as letterbox bars, so maybe you get away with it.

I do wonder though if having the space available at the front wall (I don't) you're not better off having only the centre within the screen area, with the LCR just outside the screen edges. That would let you have solid side masking with velvet, which should much minimise the issue.

There isn't really much logic to doing this, I'm using it as a pet project to pick up Python out of work time so please no laughing at the back (I'm a hardware engineer mostly these days). The Lumagen is configured from its menus to send an update out every time there is an input change, which includes if it detects a new aspect ratio from the content image analysis. If that happens the Lumagen if appropriately configured changes its scaling automatically to expand or contract the image, and then on seeing the update with the aspect I send a command to my screen. In my case I request a particular URL as I've got my screen RS232 controller hooked up to something that lays on an IP interface.
I'm expanding it at the moment to also change modes on my projector for HDR content, and maybe some other stuff, but that script is a bit upside down at the moment awaiting a refactoring.
Thanks very much for the info. I think this is likely a negative for the BenQ in my setup. As I've mentioned previously, I'm not tied to any projector or screen yet - I'm just learning as much as possible to find the best option. The only thing I think I'm set on is a CIH configuration - I just like it, which probably means automated masking :-) Oh and the large screen size - because it's a long room and I want the picture to be good from the back.

Regarding the space to the left and right - given that I plan a stack of 3 subs either side of the screen, and the planned frame size (162.5" diagonal screen) already nearly goes up to the subs - I unfortunately can't put my L/R outside the screen. I also plan on illuminating the LCR behind the screen (copying Rob Hahn).

Regarding the programming - no laughing from me. I see coding as all about what it achieves, the code itself is just one of the thousands of ways of expressing that (exactly like the content of books being more important than the language it's written in). And your code isn't so bad anyway ;-)
bobof likes this.
post #1312 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:

I have a 2.40 aspect AT masking screen with LCR's behind the screen. When watching 16:9 content with masking closed, the masked portion completely disappears.
JohnnyWilkinson likes this.
post #1313 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I have a 2.40 aspect AT masking screen with LCR's behind the screen. When watching 16:9 content with masking closed, the masked portion completely disappears.
Is your masking AT? Which screen / projector do you have?
post #1314 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Is your masking AT? Which screen / projector do you have?
Masking is AT. Has to be, since LCR's are behind screen. I currently have RS640, but have had RS600, RS540, RS4500, RS45, RS57 and VW600 on this screen. I may be forgetting a few projectors, but has never been an issue, because it is unused screen that I am masking off, not projected light.
post #1315 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Masking is AT. Has to be, since LCR's are behind screen. I currently have RS640, but have had RS600, RS540, RS4500, RS45, RS57 and VW600 on this screen. I may be forgetting a few projectors, but has never been an issue, because it is unused screen that I am masking off, not projected light.
Thanks Mike. Does this rely on having a motorized zoom?

I'm wondering if this would work with the LK970 coupled with an anamorphic lens.
post #1316 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
DAVE when are u getting the 990? I wanna know if it is a good idea to step up to it from the 970

I was told today that it’s shipping today so depending on speed they sent it, hopefully by Friday.
post #1317 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mike. Does this rely on having a motorized zoom?

I'm wondering if this would work with the LK970 coupled with an anamorphic lens.
No, I use an A-lens on a motorized slide.
post #1318 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
The difference is you're moving the lens out of the way and not projecting into the black masks. I'm not, and Johnny was talking about the same I think, with a fixed A lens option.

My masks nearly always are invisible. Just once every so often you get a scene sufficiently dark and long that your eyes can latch onto the slightly raised level of the masks above the black velvet to the sides.
post #1319 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 497 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked: 6640
I am going to be getting sent an LK990 directly from BenQ for review in the next couple weeks. Should be interesting, I should be able to spend a couple weeks with it so I can assess it pretty in depth. Will definitely be posting my no BS thoughts on it. I am quite intrigued.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #1320 of 2564 Old 03-20-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
No, I use an A-lens on a motorized slide.
Thanks again. When you're dealing with different aspect ratios (ie inbetween 2.35/2.4 and 16:9), does that mean you project light onto the masking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page