BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1797Likes

post #1621 of 2564 Old 03-28-2019, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 392
That is for sure. That is why I am a big fan of seeing a projector in your environment. We all have different tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
First: I mean no disrespect to any of the forum members who seem to have high praise for this projector! So, please don't scold me. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

It's a damn shame that we even have to say this now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2564 Old 03-28-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5212 Post(s)
Liked: 3381
Quote:
They say it is sharp but I am using this projector as a computer monitor also (to type this message). I don't see it more sharp than my current Epson 4000.
So what is the resolution and DPI scaling on your desktop? Depending on those settings, you may not find it any sharper than your epson. For example, if you're running 1080p resolution (at any DPI) or 4k resolution at 200% DPI then it will be the same as your epson. If you are running 4K at 100% DPI, then you'll see there's no way the EPSON can do that. I think windows probably defaults to 300% DPI at 4k and 150% at 1080p or something like this.
Dave Harper likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1623 of 2564 Old 03-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
First: I mean no disrespect to any of the forum members who seem to have high praise for this projector! So, please don't scold me.

I thought someone posted their projector settings? Was it Mike Garrett?
Can someone post a link to that please?
Here's a link to Dave Harper's settings:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57478486

He also says,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Just make sure if you use my settings posted here that you NOT use Custom Laser Power at 100% and you use Normal Mode instead so the APC dimming is active.

No you can’t force HDR with the UB820 nor I think the Roku (check that though). You do need an HDFURY device like the Linker, Vertex or Integral 2 to do so, or a Lumagen Radiance Pro, MadVR or Oppo UDP-203.

I would first try the SDR/Rec709 tone mapped output, probably in Cinema Mode and then use a 2.4 gamma. This will at least get you an idea of the sharpness and detail of the unit. Do not judge colors, shadow detail, contrast and blacks yet though. They’ll only improve as you add the HDFURY and use my full settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 2564 Old 03-28-2019, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
A very interesting finding from the LK990 thread: Anthony returned his LK990 for the same banding issue, and Benq said the banding was due to the wrong color wheel parameters.
http://chhanthony.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue Liang View Post
Thank you all for your help.

I was using the HDMI 1. Then I also tried HDMI 2. No difference.
So, the banding is not due to the input.

I tried to reset every picture mode to its factory setting, still has banding.
So the banding is not due to harper's setting.

I use an optic fiber HDMI cable connecting to my LK970, which had no problem with my VW285.
Then I tried to connect LK970 with my laptop using a short HDMI cable, still has banding.
Then I tried to connect to my VW285 again, binding disspeared.
So, the banding is not due to the HDMI cable.

I tried to feed the LK970 with HDR and SDR, 4k and 1080p contents through UB820, Oppo203 and my laptop. All these showed bandings.
So, the banding is not due to any of these devices or formats.

The bandings look like heavy compression of the dynamic range and color depth. I attached another picture showing the banding. I guess there is something wrong with the image processing. The unit has no apparent damage besides the focus ring was not in place. I am not sure what can cause this problem.
post #1625 of 2564 Old 03-28-2019, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
A very interesting finding from the LK990 thread: Anthony returned his LK990 for the same banding issue, and Benq said the banding was due to the wrong color wheel parameters.
Had trouble going through the translated blog...is BenQ saying it's a firmware issue?
post #1626 of 2564 Old 03-28-2019, 06:21 PM

Benq said someone changed the color wheel settings, and was trying to blame the owner for doing that. But the owner did not. You can find this discussion in the LK990 thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...q-lk990-5.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post
Had trouble going through the translated blog...is BenQ saying it's a firmware issue?

Last edited by Jue Liang; 03-28-2019 at 06:25 PM.
post #1627 of 2564 Old 03-28-2019, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Benq said someone changed the color wheel settings, and was trying to blame the owner for doing that. But the owner did not. You can find this discussion in the LK990 thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...q-lk990-5.html

As i know and heard from hivihk.com guy , its a first batch and throw distance not enough , and the unit probably are defect if im not wrong, maybe anthony can confirm regarding this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1628 of 2564 Old 03-28-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukul28 View Post
As i know and heard from hivihk.com guy , its a first batch and throw distance not enough , and the unit probably are defect if im not wrong, maybe anthony can confirm regarding this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The whole story is in his website: http://chhanthony.blogspot.com/ His LK990 had the same color banding issue as I had on my LK970.
I assume you can read chinese since I remember your ID on HD199.
post #1629 of 2564 Old 03-28-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12498 Post(s)
Liked: 10115
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
First: I mean no disrespect to any of the forum members who seem to have high praise for this projector! So, please don't scold me.

I just got this projector. I must say I am not impressed. I am no expert in video and I don't know enough technical details to explain but as a user, this projector is worth about the $5000 I paid for it.. probably less.

The picture is bright enough. I did reduce the brightness to about 30 to get some decent contrast.

They say it is sharp but I am using this projector as a computer monitor also (to type this message). I don't see it more sharp than my current Epson 4000.

Other than brightness, I don't see this projector as being that much superior to the Epson 4000. I got this as refurbished unit direct from BenQ and I intend to return it.

Lets not get into "its not calibrated" debate. . I have bought enough projectors over the past 25 years to know a good projector (or a bad one) when I see one! Yes, i have had many of my projectors calibrated and am familiar with the results, pre and post calibration. Frankly, I never saw "amazing improvement". Maybe because I am not such a sophisticated videophile.. but i do know what a good projector would look like and great projector - this is NOT! My prior projector was the $80,000 Wolf Cinema dcx 1000i (calibrated by one of the members here); subsequently, I found it to be inferior to the $1500 Epson 4000 and I gave the wolf away for free to a forum member!

I am going to be comparing this with a JVC NX7 this weekend. Other forum members are coming over to fine tune this projector and do a comparison. I have already decided to return this projector. I will not be buying any of these single chip dlp based projectors.. their native contrast is obviously not good enough for my own preferences/tastes.

I will probably get scolded by those who seem to be huge fans of these projectors. I have nothing against their preferences.. I am just saying that the contrast (and the "clarity/quality of lens"?) and the over all picture from this projector is unsuitable for MY personal tastes..

I bought this projector because another forum member suggested it. I asked him if he had seen it and he said he did not and he was going by the reviews here on the forum.

Those of you swayed by seemingly high praise of this projector - please be careful. Make sure you buy direct from benq so that you can return it, if you don't like it. I mean no disrespect to any of the forum members who seem to have high praise for this projector!

I am just writing this so that someone else won't waste their time on this, as did I.
Definitely, not me. See post 678: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57478486
post #1630 of 2564 Old 03-28-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12498 Post(s)
Liked: 10115
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
But if you mount it inside the boundary of your screen frame then you will be fine?

When the 990 comes I was hoping to put it in the top 1/5th area of my screen, so it will still be inside the screen frame technically.

Thats fine right?

Or are you saying you could mount it about 6 inches above the screen frame and still be ok?

Doesnt seem all the bad to me if thats the case.
Yes, has 60%. So projector lens center can be anywhere from 60% of image height, (measured from center of screen) below the screen to 60% of image height above the screen, if no horizontal shift is used. So for a 66" high screen the lens can be 6.6" below the image to 6.6" above the image and anywhere in between those points.
post #1631 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:

I just got this projector. I must say I am not impressed. I am no expert in video and I don't know enough technical details to explain but as a user, this projector is worth about the $5000 I paid for it.. probably less.

The picture is bright enough. I did reduce the brightness to about 30 to get some decent contrast.

Other than brightness, I don't see this projector as being that much superior to the Epson 4000. I got this as refurbished unit direct from BenQ and I intend to return it.

Lets not get into "its not calibrated" debate. . I have bought enough projectors over the past 25 years to know a good projector (or a bad one) when I see one! Yes, i have had many of my projectors calibrated and am familiar with the results, pre and post calibration. Frankly, I never saw "amazing improvement". Maybe because I am not such a sophisticated videophile.. but i do know what a good projector would look like and great projector - this is NOT! My prior projector was the $80,000 Wolf Cinema dcx 1000i (calibrated by one of the members here); subsequently, I found it to be inferior to the $1500 Epson 4000 and I gave the wolf away for free to a forum member!

I am going to be comparing this with a JVC NX7 this weekend. Other forum members are coming over to fine tune this projector and do a comparison. I have already decided to return this projector. I will not be buying any of these single chip dlp based projectors.. their native contrast is obviously not good enough for my own preferences/tastes.

I will probably get scolded by those who seem to be huge fans of these projectors. I have nothing against their preferences.. I am just saying that the contrast (and the "clarity/quality of lens"?) and the over all picture from this projector is unsuitable for MY personal tastes..

I bought this projector because another forum member suggested it. I asked him if he had seen it and he said he did not and he was going by the reviews here on the forum.

Those of you swayed by seemingly high praise of this projector - please be careful. Make sure you buy direct from benq so that you can return it, if you don't like it. I mean no disrespect to any of the forum members who seem to have high praise for this projector!

I am just writing this so that someone else won't waste their time on this, as did I.

Well since you aren’t going to bother to try to get it looking it’s best, we should all just ignore your impressions I think. If we did that back in the day with HDR on the poorly implemented JVCs, Epsons and Sonys then we’d never have learned how to optimize them for HDR with things like custom gamma curves and tone mapping. There is much more than just a calibration involved here.

I have had a few Epsons here many times, including the 5040UB which is much better than that 4000, and the LK970 simply blows the doors off of the 5040, so for you to say the 4000 is better than the LK970 just makes that post a total joke.

I am just writing this so someone reading this realizes you don’t care enough to put forth any real effort before you post such a worthless and false review. If you want to get serious about it, feel free to contact me and we can walk through a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Its ok u r not disrespecting anyone by not liking it, every one has different opinion and preferences.
Although concerning the clarity/sharpness there is something wrong maybe in the lens or in the chain if u dont see a difference between this and the epson 4000, specially as a computer monitor, there is a HUGE difference between it and my jvc rs440 as a monitor.

I have never seen the epson 4000 but being a 3lcd eshifter i m guessing its like my jvc sharpness/clarity wise if i m not mistaken.

It’s worse, much worse! That’s what makes that post such an utter joke.

Quote:

Sounds like you could’ve had the same type issue.
post #1632 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 208
There are lots of aggressive comments flying around in here. Mostly subjective ones.

All this 'debate' goes away with a set of accurate measurements, colour curves, contrast measurements (1-20% ADL)? and comparison photos (taken with the same exposure, etc). Particularly vs the JVC's.

Look at the screenshot comparisons posted in the Sony vs JVC thread recently, for example.

---------------

My build thread
post #1633 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post
Here's a link to Dave Harper's settings:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57478486
Thanks. His settings improved the picture a lot.

While Dave Harper's suggestion on contrast and brightness settings did improve the picture - by making the low contrast of the dlp more watchable, this projector, in my opinion, is not for me. I am going to see the jvc nx7 on Sat and the fellow forum members who are bringing it, are probably more knowledgeable on video than myself.

To clarify, the picture looks much better after i increased the contrast to 83 per Dave..

Again, I am no expert on this.. but I "get the feeling" that the quality of lens is probably inferior and coupled with the inherrenty low contrast of the dlp chip, "high quality pic" does not come to mind, while watching with this projector.
I have to correct my earlier statement a bit that it is not bad but its not that great either. Not a useful statement, I know.. but i didn't know how else to put it.

All I can say is, for the present time and at the ridiculously low cost of $1500, the Epson 4000, is a much more preferable projector for me and there is not reason for me to switch to the Benq.

If I were in the market today, I would chose the Epson again because of its cost value - certainly, the Benq is superior to Epson 4000, on the overall.

Last edited by audvid; 03-29-2019 at 04:22 AM.
post #1634 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 02:07 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked: 1720
Quote:
If you are sending native 4K be aware that this projector can't natively display 4K without performing image processing as the panel native resolution can't be doubled exactly to 4K, so there is some non-whole pixel scaling happening which might result in it not looking sharp (I've not seen it in person). While with video content pixel accuracy isn't so critical, it is often quite noticeable on predictable content like a PC desktop (your brain knows exactly what it should look like, so discrepancies are obvious).

It would be worth you setting your PC desktop to the native panel resolution to eliminate that if possible. Native panel resolution is something like 2716x1528 if I recall correctly.

Last edited by bobof; 03-29-2019 at 02:13 AM.
post #1635 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 489 Post(s)
Quoted: 6913 Post(s)
Liked: 6619
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWilkinson View Post
There are lots of aggressive comments flying around in here. Mostly subjective ones.

All this 'debate' goes away with a set of accurate measurements, colour curves, contrast measurements (1-20% ADL)? and comparison photos (taken with the same exposure, etc). Particularly vs the JVC's.

Look at the screenshot comparisons posted in the Sony vs JVC thread recently, for example.
Hold my beer!

Although I dont have access to one of the 4K JVC's I will have to pit it against my X9500 (RS620)

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #1636 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 266
BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP

Audvid I am curious if you are finding the Epson superior because you are using a smaller screen.

When I tested the Benq on a 120” screen I preferred the Sony 760ES. Raised black levels on the Benq was distracting.

On a bigger 150” screen, the black levels were lower but the higher brightness makes that image pop.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #1637 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 04:32 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 620
@Dave Harper

Are your settings for SDR content as well, or only for HDR Sources?

Bottom line: If I use an external Tone Mapping solution (basically SDR 2020 being sent to the projector) are the settings you posted correct? Or is that only when sending HDR 2020?

I will only have a quick window to see the projector this weekend and I want to make sure I see it in the best possible light.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 03-29-2019 at 04:51 AM.
post #1638 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I am using this on a 150" 1.3 gain stewart micro perf screen.

The brightness is obvious and the picture "pops out" but the colors, clarity and quality of the picture do NOT "pop out".

So far, I tried it only 1080p with dish network, fire tv and computer. I will try 4k HDR tomorrow.

To describe the picture, the word "poster" comes to mind - meaning it seems like a soft picture, not sharp, not crystal clear, unnatural, no depth etc.. and seems almost like a bit out of focus (even though I did my best to focus it).

Frankly, I wish to exit this discussion on Benq. I have expressed my thoughts as sincerely as I can. I have no bias for or against any manufacturer. I really hoped that this would be amazing - it is simply not good enough for me.
Thank you.
ps: I have pointed out that I am no expert on video. Other people, smarter than me, are going to try out this projector this weekend. If they make the picture look better, I will post accordingly.

Last edited by audvid; 03-29-2019 at 04:38 AM.
post #1639 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5212 Post(s)
Liked: 3381
Quote:

The brightness is obvious and the picture "pops out" but the colors, clarity and quality of the picture do NOT "pop out".

So far, I tried it only 1080p with dish network, fire tv and computer. I will try 4k HDR tomorrow.

To describe the picture, the word "poster" comes to mind - meaning it seems like a soft picture, not sharp, not crystal clear, unnatural, no depth etc.. and seems almost like a bit out of focus (even though I did my best to focus it).

Frankly, I wish to exit this discussion on Benq. I have expressed my thoughts as sincerely as I can. I have no bias for or against any manufacturer. I really hoped that this would be amazing - it is simply not good enough for me.
Thank you.
I dont really feel you can judge the quality of a 4K projector by sending it 1080p (or in the case of dish network perhaps 1080i) source. And when comparing that to a 1080p projector, there may be no benefit at all. The LK970 is a business class projector and probably doesn't have the best internal upscaling. I'm guessing the 970 will destroy that epson on true 4K material, or even 1080p material properly upscaled to 1080p before hitting the projector.
Woof Woof, jherring69 and tnaik4 like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1640 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I dont really feel you can judge the quality of a 4K projector by sending it 1080p (or in the case of dish network perhaps 1080i) source. And when comparing that to a 1080p projector, there may be no benefit at all. The LK970 is a business class projector and probably doesn't have the best internal upscaling. I'm guessing the 970 will destroy that epson on true 4K material, or even 1080p material properly upscaled to 1080p before hitting the projector.
Everyone has their own preferences. 90% of my viewing is 1080p - either as computer monitor or dish/firetv/netflix. This is really not Epson Vs BenQ. Obviously, in many aspects, Benq is better - brighter to begin with.. and the Epson is a cheap projector. I was seeking an upgrade and at $5000, the Benq seemed like an amazing value.. and I didn't like it. As simple as that. Even though I started out the thread saying "please don't be offended", it seems that I have upset some. My intent was not to upset anyone. I have also written several times that I am no expert in video but my home theater is 25 years old and I have used various projectors over the years. My intent is to simply post my own observation (and disappointment because on paper, 5000 lumen 4k for $5000 is amazing value!).

Last edited by audvid; 03-29-2019 at 04:48 AM.
post #1641 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I am going to be honest and frank here. If 90% of your viewing is 1080p and high native contrast is your #1 thing you will probably need to try the last RS 640 series. Also if the 970 is soft it is broken or damaged. It maybe low contrast, but soft it is definitely not.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Everyone has their own preferences. 90% of my viewing is 1080p - either as computer monitor or dish/firetv/netflix.
Dave Harper and tnaik4 like this.
post #1642 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 266
If I wanted to keep watching SDR, I’d stick to my old JVC RS60. 4K HDR is a brave new world. And I’m embracing it with gusto.
post #1643 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
@Dave Harper

Are your settings for SDR content as well, or only for HDR Sources?

Bottom line: If I use an external Tone Mapping solution (basically SDR 2020 being sent to the projector) are the settings you posted correct? Or is that only when sending HDR 2020?

I will only have a quick window to see the projector this weekend and I want to make sure I see it in the best possible light.

My settings totally RELY on sending HDR to the projector as I have said many times. They are not for SDR, at all. If you send a tone mapped HDR to SDR signal, then you would use your mode that was setup for an SDR signal, or some version of it.

Quote:

Thank you.
ps: I have pointed out that I am no expert on video. Other people, smarter than me, are going to try out this projector this weekend. If they make the picture look better, I will post accordingly.

Well that pretty much explains it.

If your image is soft and without detail on this projector then you must have something on your lens (Vaseline?), there was no attempt at focusing it made, or there is a problem with your particular unit.

I am not upset “per se’”, but for the claims you made to be just left out there for anyone to blindly trust your observation and slander this projector in this fashion, something had to be said to counter it. For anyone that has one, your statements are totally absurd to be honest. Everyone that does knows it’s faults but what you wrote is so far off base the only way to take it is with anger or humor! Either something is wrong with the LK970 or the rest of the “system”. We don’t know which yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
I am going to be honest and frank here. If 90% of your viewing is 1080p and high native contrast is your #1 thing you will probably need to try the last RS 640 series. Also if the 970 is soft it is broken or damaged. It maybe low contrast, but soft it is definitely not.

At least someone else here is!

Exactly!!!
post #1644 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
My settings totally RELY on sending HDR to the projector as I have said many times. They are not for SDR, at all. If you send a tone mapped HDR to SDR signal, then you would use your mode that was setup for an SDR signal, or some version of it.

Next obvious question then.... What are your settings for SDR?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #1645 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:

Thank you.
Thanks for being honest and giving your un-biased opinion. Most content out there is not HDR or 4K so for a projector how you handle this type of content is important. Please do share somewhere your impressions on how the other brands handle it.

I keep hearing things like if you add MadVR or a lens or ..... that is not truly comparing a projector to projector. That is why when I state something I try to be sure people know I have a Stewart Screen with a DCR Lens with my projector. Not the same as a Daylight screen and no lens.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
post #1646 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Next obvious question then.... What are your settings for SDR?

I guess I can dig those out of my calibration PC, but it’s better to wait until I do a final calibration in the next couple days before shipping it off to Mark. I can report that after.

In a nutshell, I use Eco mode normally for regular TV type shows but for sports, especially football, I use Normal mode for that added punch and realism. One thing I do know is that if you’re in Normal Mode you have to reduce contrast to about 37 to avoid any white clipping/crush. I found the same to be true on the LK990 last night too. There is an ISF mode on the 970 too that is very neutral and a good starting point, but it locks out a lot of settings if you wanted to tweak it more than what’s allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Thanks for being honest and giving your un-biased opinion. Most content out there is not HDR or 4K so for a projector how you handle this type of content is important. Please do share somewhere your impressions on how the other brands handle it.

I keep hearing things like if you add MadVR or a lens or ..... that is not truly comparing a projector to projector. That is why when I state something I try to be sure people know I have a Stewart Screen with a DCR Lens with my projector. Not the same as a Daylight screen and no lens.

Bias has nothing to do with it. It’s clear from what he’s reporting that something is obviously not right with either his LK970 or something else. Even 12GAGE agrees and he seems to be the most impartial and “tell it like it is” person on this thread, including me (no surprise there haha! ).

If all he’d said was that he didn’t like rainbows or was sensitive to them or that the black level is decent but not for him, which are known deficiencies for these, then ok. But since he said it was soft, out of focus with no depth, sharpness or detail, then the bells went off because those are the qualities that excel exponentially with the LK models. Every single person I can think of that has seen or owned one has at least said that!
post #1647 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:

Bias has nothing to do with it. It’s clear from what he’s reporting that something is obviously not right with either his LK970 or something else. Even 12GAGE agrees and he seems to be the most impartial and “tell it like it is” person on this thread, including me (no surprise there haha! ).

If all he’d said was that he didn’t like rainbows or was sensitive to them or that the black level is decent but not for him, which are known deficiencies for these, then ok. But since he said it was soft, out of focus with no depth, sharpness or detail, then the bells went off because those are the qualities that excel exponentially with the LK models. Every single person I can think of that has seen or owned one has at least said that!
Look, you can have your opinion and he can have his. Softness can also be contrast etc. Your Bias is clear and you sell these things and push these things and good for you but people who don't can not like them and that is good also. I hated the JVC E-Shift and everyone around here thought that it was the best but didn't like the picture.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
post #1648 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Thank you.

Hard to imagine that anyone could usefully judge picture sharpness, clarity, or color using Dish Network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Goff
post #1649 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Look, you can have your opinion and he can have his. Softness can also be contrast etc. Your Bias is clear and you sell these things and push these things and good for you but people who don't can not like them and that is good also. I hated the JVC E-Shift and everyone around here thought that it was the best but didn't like the picture.
Logically, without seeing his unit, I can't say with confidence what formed audvid's conclusion. I do think audvid's opinion on its face should be entitled to respect and through better understanding the LK970 by delving more into why he sees what he does rather than someone resorting to ad hominem attacks; one could ask, e.g., is it contrast, faulty unit maybe, just preference? ...etc.

I think you're right in pointing out that depending on content, sometimes better contrast can give the illusion of sharper lines and at times (I'm going by memory) with low ADL content, my JVC appeared sharper than the BenQ HT9050 I had, which has a similar lens to the LK970. It could also be that he has some issue with his particular unit because I find his point of reference in that Epson somewhat unique. Or, it could just be his image preference as you also suggest. Who knows. But like I said, without seeing it, how can I possibly refute what he saw.

At this point, I can conclude this, however. Audvid's opinion of the LK970's sharpness is in the minority.
post #1650 of 2564 Old 03-29-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post
Hard to imagine that anyone could usefully judge picture sharpness, clarity, or color using Dish Network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, but wouldn't it look so-so on his Epson too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page