BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1797Likes

post #1921 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
While I agree the home experience can now out preform most commercial cinemas. I wont be missing End Game this weekend [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]
I'm doing a 100 mile bike ride this weekend. Priorities.
I will do both. I’ll watch End Game and get out for some biking.

I don’t go to the theatre often but this is one I don’t want to miss!
Archibald1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP

Quote:
There was 100 pages+ of the QBF pattern already! lol.

I think the convergence issue has been beaten to death.

Oh and the “DLP can’t do blacks and sucks balls and oh while we’re at it, the Sony sucks too along with everything else that isn’t JVC is the choice of inferior idiots” tag lines haven’t been beaten to death too?

At least we keep it in our respective threads unless the elites choose to slander us and our choices in them, like they do when they’re sipping their favorite expensive wines at the country club, talking about the deplorables.

What I find hilarious is being now tagged a “DLP Guy”, when I’ve had and loved so many tech versions just in the last couple years. If anyone has been tech impartial in the last few years it’s been me actually. I find the good in them all and exploit it to its fullest potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
A perfectly calibrated projector - using light meters etc., can look amazing. If cartoony is your thing though, there are plenty of HDTV floor models that will float your boat at Best Buy and Wal Mart.

We rest our case, your honor.
jherring69 and Archibald1 like this.
post #1923 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Oh and the “DLP can’t do blacks and sucks balls and oh while we’re at it, the Sony sucks too along with everything else that isn’t JVC is the choice of inferior idiots” tag lines haven’t been beaten to death too?

It's just as annoying regardless the projection technology under attack.

So please don't take that as "Lets not talk about the JVC faults" per say.

There are numerous. Brightness limitation, Fan noise on high bulb, DI issues (blowout and yellowing), convergence issues, no 4:4:4 support with a 10bit or 12bit signal... Etc...

If you look at my posts, I have been, and always will be, unbiased when it comes to projection technology.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 10:20 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

For a random slightly off topic post, I personally know someone who had an NX5 and sold that after seeing the BenQ 9060 and they couldn't be happier!
Steve Siener and jherring69 like this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #1925 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6986 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:

I little snark on a Tuesday morning and everybody loses their mind !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #1926 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 394
To me that is why it is great to see what works for you. As stated before most of the projectors these days put out awesome images.

Quote:
For a random slightly off topic post, I personally know someone who had an NX5 and sold that after seeing the BenQ 9060 and they couldn't be happier! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
post #1927 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Quote:
Projectors are the new political parties it seems.

The brightness of the LK970 can easily trick your eyes into seeing "black" that is as good as a JVC in some/most scenes.

If a fade to black is on for a prolonged period or a very low APL scene is up, then the JVC will win no question.

It's really that simple.

Now settle the hell down and enjoy your purchases.
So can staring at the sun for an hour, I'd wager if you stare at the sun for 2 hours, you'd see all blacks look about the same on every projector for the rest of your life
Archibald1 likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #1928 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 11:10 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
So can staring at the sun for an hour, I'd wager if you stare at the sun for 2 hours, you'd see all blacks look about the same on every projector for the rest of your life

That's the spirit!

SOWK Home Theater
post #1929 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:

At least we keep it in our respective threads unless the elites choose to slander us and our choices in them, like they do when they’re sipping their favorite expensive wines at the country club, talking about the deplorables.

What I find hilarious is being now tagged a “DLP Guy”, when I’ve had and loved so many tech versions just in the last couple years. If anyone has been tech impartial in the last few years it’s been me actually. I find the good in them all and exploit it to its fullest potential.

Ahahhaaha!!! I"m glad I popped back on. So you're the "DLP Guy"? Your post has to be the funniest I've seen from you, Dave. It had me in stiches.

Quote:
For a random slightly off topic post, I personally know someone who had an NX5 and sold that after seeing the BenQ 9060 and they couldn't be happier!
Right! I know of someone too who chose the HT9060 over the NX5.
post #1930 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Quote:
That's the spirit!
That doesn't sound healthy, but I'm sure there's more to your meaning.

You all have to forgive me...I know there's occasional subtext going on in these threads...right, sometimes people don't mean what they say and don't say what they mean. That's where I wish I had those Rowdy Roddy Piper glasses from They Live...put them on and then I can see what the real message is.
post #1931 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post

You all have to forgive me...I know there's occasional subtext going on in these threads...right, sometimes people don't mean what they say and don't say what they mean. That's where I wish I had those Rowdy Roddy Piper glasses from They Live...put them on and then I can see what the real message is.
I can't count the times I've read a post on here, laughed or even snarfed coffee out my nose, and hit the like button, only to find out later I'd completely misinterpreted what was meant. What I thought was a joke, was serious, or vice versa.

Oh well.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #1932 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Can some of you even survive a commercial cinema anymore?
No, I can't. "The Last Jedi" was the last movie I saw in my local cinema. The glaring red "Exit" signs on both sides of the screen drove me up the wall. Then there was a low apl scene in which the dark areas should have been black, but they were no darker than a medium gray. This scene took me right out of the story.

I later watched the uhd version on my puny little Sony 940E and enjoyed it much more. Now I just wait for uhd releases of movies I want to see. F**k the local cinema.
Craig Peer and SteveFred like this.

Rex
post #1933 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post

I can at least help maybe a little bit here, don't stare at the sun if you still want to come to these forums and argue black levels! On the other hand, if we all stared at the sun for a few hours we could all agree that we can't see 'crap'!
J_P_A and Aztar35 like this.
post #1934 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 02:05 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2642 Post(s)
Liked: 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
This. I also wonder if all the talk about rich, saturated colors is at the expense of clipping. If you can't reach the gamut, all the values past the peak saturation point just stack on top of each other. This gives the perception of richer color at the expense of clipping. It is like taking the brightness setting and going down. Subjectively the blacks get better, but they are not getting better or darker, you're just clipping all the information near black. You see this same thing with color when you look at HDR content with a projector that does about 85-90% of P3 vs 100%. Colors look "richer" because you are clipping. When you compare it to a projector that is not it looks artificial.
I've also wondered about this. Hopefully I'll get to see one at some point to be able to judge for myself.
post #1935 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I inquired about switching
My 990 order to a 979 but the price was only $600 cheaper. I have seen others commenting a drastically larger gap. Could someone PM what I should be targeting for a 970?
post #1936 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My brand new 970 was tweaked and calibrated by Harpervision LLC. Love the thing to death but its the wrong throw for my room so off it goes to our classified section
Dave Harper likes this.
post #1937 of 2564 Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
This. I also wonder if all the talk about rich, saturated colors is at the expense of clipping. If you can't reach the gamut, all the values past the peak saturation point just stack on top of each other. This gives the perception of richer color at the expense of clipping. It is like taking the brightness setting and going down. Subjectively the blacks get better, but they are not getting better or darker, you're just clipping all the information near black. You see this same thing with color when you look at HDR content with a projector that does about 85-90% of P3 vs 100%. Colors look "richer" because you are clipping. When you compare it to a projector that is not it looks artificial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I've also wondered about this. Hopefully I'll get to see one at some point to be able to judge for myself.
My calibrated LK970s did not do this. I made sure of it, even at the expense of a wider gamut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman View Post
My brand new 970 was tweaked and calibrated by Harpervision LLC. Love the thing to death but its the wrong throw for my room so off it goes to our classified section

Come on man, blast through a wall or three, where’s your home theater at all costs spirit dude?!?!?!
post #1938 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post

For months a projector will be promoted for the amount of light it puts out, and how that is necessary for HDR, until a brighter one comes out and suddenly "lumens arent even that important when it comes to HDR"
Within the last 2-3 months there have been technological changes that have made requiring tons of lumens for HDR somewhat irrelevant. It's not just people back pedaling to support their claim. Dynamic Tone mapping was recently released on Lumagen and has gotten really great on madVR only pretty recently. With these technologies, you no longer need tons of light to benefit from HDR like you did 6-12 months prior. So I think that explains why "lumens aren't even that important when it comes to HDR" much better than assuming its all some sort of biased hypocrisy.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1939 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:

For months a projector will be promoted for the amount of light it puts out, and how that is necessary for HDR, until a brighter one comes out and suddenly "lumens arent even that important when it comes to HDR"
Within the last 2-3 months there have been technological changes that have made requiring tons of lumens for HDR somewhat irrelevant. It's not just people back pedaling to support their claim. Dynamic Tone mapping was recently released on Lumagen and has gotten really great on madVR only pretty recently. With these technologies, you no longer need tons of light to benefit from HDR like you did 6-12 months prior. So I think that explains why "lumens aren't even that important when it comes to HDR" much better than assuming its all some sort of biased hypocrisy.
Yes true Mark, bit isnt the more light u have to less tone maping is happening, for example if i jave 200nits with madvr, everything under that is 1:1 and untouched , and a lot of movies have a big portion of it under 200-250nits , now if u have 50nits lets say, with madvr it is helping greatly not to be dim but it wont be as good as when untouched.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #1940 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Yes true Mark, bit isnt the more light u have to less tone maping is happening, for example if i jave 200nits with madvr, everything under that is 1:1 and untouched , and a lot of movies have a big portion of it under 200-250nits , now if u have 50nits lets say, with madvr it is helping greatly not to be dim but it wont be as good as when untouched.
Yes this is right, but I think its more like 100 nits not 200-250 nits where most stuff lives. Probably most stuff lives under 50 nits. Javs was showing that like 50% of most movie content lives under 5% ADL.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1941 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Yes, but with dynamic tonemapping you are mostly tonemapping only the highlights. If you get more light but no more contrast, you are sacrificing more and more of the low end where major part of the normal range is.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Archibald1 likes this.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #1942 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The question I keep asking myself is, with such a bright image would I get eye fatigue. What I mean is even on my system which for a bulb projector and 1.3 gain screen with a DCR lens I can throw a bright picture. There are times especially during bright parts that I am going "this is almost too much" and I can tell I am squinting. Just curious if people with these notice that or are you just dialing it back to where I would be anyway with Nit value?? I notice this especially with HDR and the Panni tone mapping.
markmon1 likes this.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
post #1943 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12541 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
Yes, but with dynamic tonemapping you are mostly tonemapping only the highlights. If you get more light but no more contrast, you are sacrificing more and more of the low end where major part of the normal range is.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Correct. What we really need is more light and more contrast. More contrast with less light hurts us and more light with less contrast hurts us. Both are compromises. Depending on room, screen size and gain, you determine which of those two compromises is best for you.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #1944 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 347
I'm slowly beating my way through projector pros/cons and the 970 is on the possible list if I end up going projection. I have a 20' throw to a 10' x 18' wall. I can retain the full width, but have to use the top 6' for the image. Basically the bottom of the screen will be at head height. If I go projection I would use goo 2 to paint the upper part of the wall. The bottom 4' is cement retaining wall. Anyhow, I was using the distance calculator and the 970 shows in the "yellow" zone at 20'. I'm not exactly sure what that means. From what I could tell I would get a 72" height would give 127" width which I have plenty of room to support. This is pretty much dead center on it's zoom control on the tool. 2:39 would be 185" wide at 72" height which again, I have plenty of wall. However, the zoom would be near max.

So is 20' throw for that size wall suitable for this projector? I was assuming closer would mean brighter, but would reduce the various display size. By the way, the room is not blackout, but is very light controlled.
Thoughts?
post #1945 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Lucy Pictures

Some random shots from Lucy on my LK970. Projector in economic laser mode zoomed to fill 126" wide scope screen. Pictures taken with iPhone with cropping only. Projector calibrated using LightSpace 3DLUT uploaded to Radiance Pro. Radiance Pro dynamic tone mapping being used. No point to make other than this projector produces some nice sharp images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	2557716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2557718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	2557720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy4.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	2557722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy5.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	2557724  

Name:	Lucy6.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	2557726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy7.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2557728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy8.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	2557730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy9.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2557732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy10.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2557734  

Name:	Lucy11.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	2557736  
post #1946 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post
Some random shots from Lucy on my LK970. Projector in economic laser mode zoomed to fill 126" wide scope screen. Pictures taken with iPhone with cropping only. Projector calibrated using LightSpace 3DLUT uploaded to Radiance Pro. Radiance Pro dynamic tone mapping being used. No point to make other than this projector produces some nice sharp images.
Look amazing.

Though Im a moron, and have been told repeatedly that pictures mean nothing, but I still enjoy seeing them lol I guess I am just stubborn? idk.

Anyways, would love to see a photo of something like Star Wars space scene or something similar? Because the Blacks on the Morgan Freeman picture look great, and I have been told repeatedly that the LK970 blacks are terrible. And even if they measure terrible, this image makes them look very acceptable, even if its just because its a photo and is actually worse in person ?
Dave Harper likes this.
post #1947 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6986 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Those look good. Isn't the Radiance Pro dynamic tone mapping amazing ? It's improved HDR in my theater for sure.
tnaik4 likes this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #1948 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Look amazing.
......Because the Blacks on the Morgan Freeman picture look great, and I have been told repeatedly that the LK970 blacks are terrible. And even if they measure terrible, this image makes them look very acceptable, even if its just because its a photo and is actually worse in person ?
The photos definitely make the blacks look better than they are. IMO they are acceptable, especially for HDR material, but definitely not nearly as good as the Epson LS10000 I use for some darker material, nor as good as the RS640 I recently sold.
Craig Peer and tnaik4 like this.
post #1949 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Looks great.

Quote:
post #1950 of 2564 Old 04-24-2019, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Honestly, acceptable black levels really depend on your content and environment. I find the black level quite acceptable on most content. For sure it is a weak point of the unit and technology but unless you have a velvet pit room I think you would find the black level more acceptable than not on most content.

Quote:
Quote:
Look amazing.

Though Im a moron, and have been told repeatedly that pictures mean nothing, but I still enjoy seeing them lol I guess I am just stubborn? idk.

Anyways, would love to see a photo of something like Star Wars space scene or something similar? Because the Blacks on the Morgan Freeman picture look great, and I have been told repeatedly that the LK970 blacks are terrible. And even if they measure terrible, this image makes them look very acceptable, even if its just because its a photo and is actually worse in person ?
Citation4444 and Archibald1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page