BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1405Likes

post #1 of 1957 Old 09-05-2017, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 617
BenQ LK970: 4K DLP, laser, $12,999k MSRP

No chatter about this yet?

https://hdguru.com/benq-ships-lk970-...-laser-engine/

This a wobulator or actual 4K chip?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1957 Old 09-05-2017, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 11217 Post(s)
Liked: 8834
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
No chatter about this yet?

https://hdguru.com/benq-ships-lk970-...-laser-engine/

This a wobulator or actual 4K chip?
Any DLP under 100K as of right now will be an E-shift type of device.
TheBrandon likes this.
post #3 of 1957 Old 09-05-2017, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Any DLP under 100K as of right now will be an E-shift type of device.
Boo hiss. Figured but wanted to confirm as $13k isn't exactly cheap though in fairness I've not kept up with pricing for these wobulating 4K DLPs.

Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1957 Old 09-05-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 169
It is the same as the big lamp/HLD units, assuming it is the same one BenQ displayed at ISE in February. Yes it is, actually working demo at Infocomm:

The ACER 8800 comes in the same housing as the Optoma 4K500. The Casio 8300 comes in a white version of the big chassis used in the first generation of XPR products from ACER, and BenQ. What is the US pricing on that Casio?

Last edited by donaldk; 09-05-2017 at 02:05 PM.
post #5 of 1957 Old 09-06-2017, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
It is the same as the big lamp/HLD units, assuming it is the same one BenQ displayed at ISE in February. Yes it is, actually working demo at Infocomm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKIpmuyBhXk

The ACER 8800 comes in the same housing as the Optoma 4K500. The Casio 8300 comes in a white version of the big chassis used in the first generation of XPR products from ACER, and BenQ. What is the US pricing on that Casio?
Casio costs about $1000 less than the BenQ.

The thing that needs to happen to make this into a truly great projector is to have an iris toggle for HDR and non HDR content. Otherwise it's going to be too bright for typical small to medium dark home theaters.
mbw23air likes this.
post #6 of 1957 Old 09-06-2017, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Casio costs about $1000 less than the BenQ.

The thing that needs to happen to make this into a truly great projector is to have an iris toggle for HDR and non HDR content. Otherwise it's going to be too bright for typical small to medium dark home theaters.
I remember when that seemed impossible for anything approaching reasonably priced!

Double True!
post #7 of 1957 Old 09-06-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah I was told at ISE the Listprice would be €5000 plus tax, so a little over €6K. Casio may have upped its price.

What is the difference between this Coretronic chassis/platform and the R50 that seems to be the basis for the ACER 8800, and the Optoma 4K500?

The R50K is the MCLA version. The original Blue only laser version has a slightly larger box, and can offer more lumens, as there is no need to balance red;-). The platform is offered in anything from WXGA up. And the same engine is also used in the UST form, 4000 lumens in case of MCLA (P3), and 5000 in case of the Dell (Blue?) laser version.
post #8 of 1957 Old 09-06-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

These don't have a laser level setting? I did not think these were too bright when demoed at ISE. I thought the UHD 60 was underpowered/washed out, on a small screen.
post #9 of 1957 Old 09-06-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Will this DLP 4k projector with the wobulation fix the noise issues of the others in regards to the mechanism that moves the chip, the poor video processing of all he 4k wonulation dlp projectors I've read where there is judder in panning, the poor 50hz processing. If these have been addressed I'll be impressed.
post #10 of 1957 Old 09-06-2017, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Will this DLP 4k projector with the wobulation fix the noise issues of the others in regards to the mechanism that moves the chip
That depends on the chassis and how insulated it is for noise, so it will vary from projector to projector.

Quote:
poor video processing of all he 4k wonulation dlp projectors I've read where there is judder in panning, the poor 50hz processing. If these have been addressed I'll be impressed.
TI issued a firmware update in August 2017 that enabled native 24p (48hz @ 2:2) and native 50hz for all DLP 4k projectors. All new models should have this update. All older models can be updated via USB, but it is up to the manufacturers if they wish to do so.
Spizz likes this.

Last edited by Ruined; 09-06-2017 at 03:35 PM.
post #11 of 1957 Old 09-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Quote:
That depends on the chassis and how insulated it is for noise, so it will vary from projector to projector.

TI issued a firmware update in August 2017 that enabled native 24p (48hz @ 2:2) and native 50hz for all DLP 4k projectors. All new models should have this update. All older models can be updated via USB, but it is up to the manufacturers if they wish to do so.
What they released were guidelines and software to add support for such features. But the manufacturers still need to code it out and implement a firmware update if they choose to add support for it. Such an update is not guaranteed. Your post makes it seem as if BenQ, Optoma and others simply have to provide a download link to what TI released last month. That is not the case.
post #12 of 1957 Old 09-07-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Ah I was told at ISE the Listprice would be €5000 plus tax, so a little over €6K. Casio may have upped its price.

What is the difference between this Coretronic chassis/platform and the R50 that seems to be the basis for the ACER 8800, and the Optoma 4K500?

The R50K is the MCLA version. The original Blue only laser version has a slightly larger box, and can offer more lumens, as there is no need to balance red;-). The platform is offered in anything from WXGA up. And the same engine is also used in the UST form, 4000 lumens in case of MCLA (P3), and 5000 in case of the Dell (Blue?) laser version.
Have you seen or read anywhere how the MCLA projectors compare in RBE vs a lamp 6x RGBRGB color wheel? The marketing diagram makes it difficult to discern what colors are being flashed each cycle and how fast.
post #13 of 1957 Old 09-07-2017, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you seen or read anywhere how the MCLA projectors compare in RBE vs a lamp 6x RGBRGB color wheel? The marketing diagram makes it difficult to discern what colors are being flashed each cycle and how fast.
Nope, personally I am not very sensitive to RBE.

The lead customer for MCLA was EIKI, turns out it launched its first two (WXGA/WUXGA) 8K lumens MCL projectors at Infocomm 2016. They started shipping in December or January. At 8K any RBE should be more easily visible.

BTW, Casio Europe got back to me, € listprice/MSRP is €6500 excluding VAT.
post #14 of 1957 Old 09-21-2017, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 274
post #15 of 1957 Old 02-27-2018, 02:30 PM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked: 1644

I am thinking about grabbing one of these to mess with. Does anyone have one yet or better yet have you tried it with an Oppo 203 UHD Blu-ray and its beta firmware for tone mapping HDR to SDR?
post #16 of 1957 Old 03-10-2018, 11:10 AM

I got a BenQ LK970 5,000 lumen laser XPR DLP here the other day and after a couple days fiddling with it using an Oppo 203 with its HDR to SDR tone mapping, all I can say is that it is the best I have ever seen Ghostbusters 2016 and especially Planet Earth II look, non-optimal native contrast notwithstanding! Simply phenomenal!!! I have now come to realize that high resolution, wide color gamut and lumens, lumens, lumens are what makes HDR truly sing!!! Of course great contrast too would be icing on the cake, but that's tough to do with DLP light cannons. I have a Sony VW885ES coming soon so it'll be interesting to compare them. I can't imagine the Sony being $18K better, but I'm sure even with the talk about it's not so great contrast, it still will beat the LK970 natively on/off. I gotta tell you though, even in the night scenes in GB at the end, I didn't feel lacking in the blacks and shadow detail dept at all!
am2model3 and jpbonadio like this.
post #17 of 1957 Old 03-11-2018, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks for the update Dave! I’m planning a 190” wide 2.37 screen using zoom method and need a lot of lumens. Throw distance is 29’. I had been looking at the Epson Pro L1100 which has 6000 lumens. Seems like the BenQ LK970 is also a very good option for those not wanting to spend 20k+. How would you compare the BenQ to the peso pro L1100? Any significant advantages for either?
post #18 of 1957 Old 03-12-2018, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I got a BenQ LK970 5,000 lumen laser XPR DLP here the other day and after a couple days fiddling with it using an Oppo 203 with its HDR to SDR tone mapping, all I can say is that it is the best I have ever seen Ghostbusters 2016 and especially Planet Earth II look, non-optimal native contrast notwithstanding! Simply phenomenal!!! I have now come to realize that high resolution, wide color gamut and lumens, lumens, lumens are what makes HDR truly sing!!! Of course great contrast too would be icing on the cake, but that's tough to do with DLP light cannons. I have a Sony VW885ES coming soon so it'll be interesting to compare them. I can't imagine the Sony being $18K better, but I'm sure even with the talk about it's not so great contrast, it still will beat the LK970 natively on/off. I gotta tell you though, even in the night scenes in GB at the end, I didn't feel lacking in the blacks and shadow detail dept at all!
Thanks for the information Dave.

How does this projector compares to the Optoma UHZ65?
post #19 of 1957 Old 03-12-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Quote:
Dave, are you going to look at any other 4k Blu-ray movies?
post #20 of 1957 Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 11217 Post(s)
Liked: 8834
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Will this projector do DCI color space or does it just do Rec709 with HDR? Most of these DLP's seem to only do Rec709, but if this actually does CI color space, it makes it an interesting option for HDR. How is it's dimming system, very noticable?
post #21 of 1957 Old 03-12-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
Dave, are you going to look at any other 4k Blu-ray movies?

Yes those were the only two that I watched a decent amount on after I nailed the settings or at least appeared to. I was going to do some testing and watch some more stuff on Friday night but then my wife came in and she saw planet earth II playing and she was in awe of what she saw so we ended up watching almost the whole disc one, haha!!!

We watched the animated film Coco last night and it was absolutely incredible on this thing! Contrast be damned, LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Will this projector do DCI color space or does it just do Rec709 with HDR? Most of these DLP's seem to only do Rec709, but if this actually does CI color space, it makes it an interesting option for HDR. How is it's dimming system, very noticable?

According to one of the images on its web page it shows that it does what appears to be DCI color space or at least close to it and a lot wider than rec709. It doesn't appear to do HDR natively but that is why I paired it with the Oppo 203 and I'm using the tone mapping. I also did a pseudo-Harpervision by sending and forcing HDR from the 203 but the only good gamma curve to use is the 2.8 setting and I don't think that's optimal. There is a gamma setting called BenQ and I need to find out if that unlocks custom gamma curves if I put in the ISF password which I am in the process of trying to get.

I haven't been able to do any additional measurements yet but I hope to tonight to see where things fall.

I am not sure on the laser dimming but when I am in the white clipping patterns in the Masciola disk as I click the Nits settings up and down in the 203, The gray bars get clipped out but as you sit there they slowly come back into view one at a time so I am thinking it is some sort of dimming or AGC circuit. It doesn't say much in the documentation or online so I am trying to get information from BenQ but they haven't responded to me yet. Do you have any good contacts for them Mike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uopdrmark View Post
Thanks for the update Dave! I’m planning a 190” wide 2.37 screen using zoom method and need a lot of lumens. Throw distance is 29’. I had been looking at the Epson Pro L1100 which has 6000 lumens. Seems like the BenQ LK970 is also a very good option for those not wanting to spend 20k+. How would you compare the BenQ to the peso pro L1100? Any significant advantages for either?

I haven't seen the L1100 personally but I have read about it a lot and have quoted it for quite a few people. I would think that it would be very similar in the brightness department and I bet the colors really pop but I think it's not quite as detailed and sharp as the LK 970 will be due to a slightly lower resolution of the native panels and just LCD versus DLP technology. I was actually thinking of trying to get one of those here as well to see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbonadio View Post
Thanks for the information Dave.

How does this projector compares to the Optoma UHZ65?

Based on the preliminary images and tweaking I've done so far it's not even close. The LK970 is so much more stable in its appearance and of course you can really see the sharpness and detail differences due to the lens being so much better on the LK970. The brightness is strikingly more apparent as well.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 03-12-2018 at 08:33 PM.
post #22 of 1957 Old 03-12-2018, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 978
Quote:

Based on the preliminary images and tweaking I've done so far it's not even close. The LK970 is so much more stable in its appearance and of course you can really see the sharpness and detail differences due to the lens being so much better on the LK970. The brightness is strikingly more apparent as well.

Dave, are you in PA where I could go to demo this?
post #23 of 1957 Old 03-13-2018, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dave, I'm not sure what your screen size, ratio, gain are. Would you care to share? are you using an AT screen?

How is the noise of the projector and are you running high laser for the 4K UHD discs?

Last edited by Tom Bley; 03-13-2018 at 08:18 AM.
post #24 of 1957 Old 03-13-2018, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dave, when you use the 203 are you using HDR Off BT2020 or BT709 with the LK970?
post #25 of 1957 Old 03-13-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Dave, when you use the 203 are you using HDR Off BT2020 or BT709 with the LK970?

I was using the HDR Off/BT2020 setting until mid last night and then got so frustrated that there was always a compromise no matter what combo you used, so I tried my old HarperVision method of forcing HDR to it and jerking around the settings and gamma and good lawd when I finally totally nailed the best combo of settings.......WOW!!! That happened about 2 am and I was up another hour just drooling all over myself as I skimmed through the reference level scenes in that classic movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Dave, are you in PA where I could go to demo this?

No I'm still in Hawaii but the Projector actually came from my partner dealer in central PA and will be returned there (unless I keep it!) so maybe I can arrange for him to set it up in his demo theater with my tweaked settings for anyone nearby to demo?

Quote:
Dave, I'm not sure what your screen size, ratio, gain are. Would you care to share? are you using an AT screen?

How is the noise of the projector and are you running high laser for the 4K UHD discs?

I'm using a Stewart ST130 1.3 gain non-AT 137" scope constant height using zoom method.

The noise is louder than the UHZ65 and Sony 285 I just had here. I can't find my audio meter so I can't measure. I've mostly run in high power because the image pop is oh so delicious!
Tom Bley, Aztar35 and jpbonadio like this.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 03-14-2018 at 02:25 AM.
post #26 of 1957 Old 03-18-2018, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
That happened about 2 am and I was up another hour just drooling all over myself as I skimmed through the reference level scenes in that classic movie!!

How are you feeling about this setup after living with it a few days? How would you rank it against other more common Home theater projectors once dialed in?
post #27 of 1957 Old 03-19-2018, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm very excited about the Optoma HLD LED which supposedly will have the brightness of the UHZ65 but with less RBE and full dcip3. Would love to see BenQ release something like this also (like a revamped ht9050) , pretty sure the lk970 is still a 2x design.
post #28 of 1957 Old 03-19-2018, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm very excited about the Optoma HLD LED which supposedly will have the brightness of the UHZ65 but with less RBE and full dcip3. Would love to see BenQ release something like this also (like a revamped ht9050) , pretty sure the lk970 is still a 2x design.
That's not very bright when calibrated.

I'm curious as to what the calibrated brightness is of the BenQ LK970. Dave, have you done any measurements?
post #29 of 1957 Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm curious as to what the calibrated brightness is of the BenQ LK970. Dave, have you done any measurements?
We haven't heard back from him in a while.

He must be lost in some of his real "techy" testing.
Tom Bley likes this.
post #30 of 1957 Old 03-19-2018, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

'calibrated' not really comparable since the UHZ65 is RGBY and 85% dcip3, while the upcoming led hld is RGB and 100% dcip3. If both were to attain the same uncalibrated max brightness but uhz65 requires a Y segment to do so while hld led does not, arguably the HLD led should be brighter calibrated to typical SDR standards.

Optoma rates both at same max lumens, plus the chassis for the HLD led is designed for higher lumens - so possible the HLD led will be both brighter and more accurate calibrated.

Last edited by Ruined; 03-19-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page