Sony VPL-VW385ES Owners Thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1440Likes

post #3631 of 3661 Old 03-25-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Depends on screen size. Look starting pg 64 of the User Guide.
Thanks. That was helpful. Looks like I need at least 7.6' to still make it work with 80". I may actually be able to pull off the 9.6' for 100". I'm stuck with lowered ceilings, so my only decent option is a retracting acoustically transparent screen in front of the speakers, which pulls it out from the walls quite a bit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3661 Old 03-27-2019, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have installed a Grandview ,tab tensioned 106" diagonal electric screen.Using a lazer measure I have ensured that the projector is exactly in line with the screen and level.On the patterns on the test material on the projector and also on test cards you can clearly see that the boxes/lines are slightly closer together on the left than the right.This is not noticeable on actual programming since the image fits the screen perfectly.Is there any easy way to correct this or am I being too fussy?.
post #3633 of 3661 Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 AM

Can anyone answer the above question?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3634 of 3661 Old 04-05-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Sure, you're being too fussy!

Not sure what "test cards" and "test material" mean exactly--are you talking about the pj's built-in test patterns? I suppose it might be possble to have your pj be not precisely square to the screen (which is hard to do frankly!) skewing the test patterns, so you should make absolutely certain of that first, but if your Actual Programming is Perfect I would declare victory.
post #3635 of 3661 Old 04-05-2019, 09:41 AM

The built in test patterns and a HD test card shows this issue.I have checked that the projector is parrell to the screen
Strangely moving the projector to the left or right making it look definitely NOT parrell to the screen does not seem to make any difference.
Using a lazer measure I have been able to confirm that the projector is exactly parrell and is parrell to the side wall.
I think I may have overlooked something obvious!
post #3636 of 3661 Old 04-05-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is your screen perfectly perpendicular to the projector, level, and rectangular? I would bet that it is not perfectly perpendicular. Been there, done that.
post #3637 of 3661 Old 04-05-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasteven View Post
Strangely moving the projector to the left or right making it look definitely NOT parrell to the screen does not seem to make any difference
How about rotating it slightly on its axis and seeing what impact that has. I mean, first get it positioned in the center of your screen; and don't count on your side walls telling you the absolute truth about this--rooms are rarely perfectly square. Then imagine a pole down the center of the pj and rotate it left and rotate it right and...

...well like humbug2 I have been there as well. And this pj is not a lightweight so moving it is nontrivial, not to mention getting it level in the end.

Anything's possible therefore there might be some sort of wierd alighnment problem with yours, but I doubt it and prefer to believe it's a physical alignment issue.

I was inclined to wonder if you'd messed with the Keystone adjustment settings and then I realized this pj has none! I've been very lucky in that I put my pj on its shelf and lined it up and it was spot-on perfect within minutes!

Oh, of course you have checked that your tensioned screen is not bowed, though I would never expect even a significant curvature to cause a noticeable difference in the test pattern. Dunno how the test pattern is generated in the pj but the next place to check would be with your dealer or with Sony.

Last edited by Laserfan; 04-05-2019 at 01:36 PM.
post #3638 of 3661 Old 04-05-2019, 02:12 PM

Thank you for your suggestions.I will give these a try.I should add that the projector although on a level unit is not exactly in the centre of the screen.It sits about 5 inches to the left of centre
Would this cause the issue?
post #3639 of 3661 Old 04-05-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasteven View Post
Thank you for your suggestions.I will give these a try.I should add that the projector although on a level unit is not exactly in the centre of the screen.It sits about 5 inches to the left of centre
Would this cause the issue?
I guarantee you that your alignment is off. If one side is shorter than the other, or the bottom is shorter than the top. It just means that the short side is slightly closer to the screen than the long side.

So lets say that the right side of the image is shorter than the left. That means you need to slightly rotate the front of the projector to your right. This will move the left projector side closer to the screen (reducing the length of that side of the image) and move the right projector side farther from the screen ( making that image side longer). Once you get the image perfectly rectangular, it will most likely not be centered in the screen anymore. To get it centered, use the lens shift and zoom controls, to center and resize the screen. I usually zoom my image to where one pixel width frame just falls onto the Black Velvet frame of the screen. That insures that the entire screen is covered all the way to the frame.

Last edited by GregCh; 04-05-2019 at 02:49 PM.
post #3640 of 3661 Old 04-05-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well you have only said the test pattern lines were "slightly closer" so who knows if 5" would make them "slightly closer".

Your concern is that there is some problem with the projector i.e. that the test patterns are out-of-whack (a technical term) somehow. If I had that concern I would pull the pj and take it to a room where I could set it the same distance (or further away--the larger the image the easier to see distortions yes) from a flat wall the size of your screen, and throw the test patterns directly onto it. If you have perfect test patterns then the 5" left-of-center is the issue.

Sorry I can't tell you for certain--I might've guessed someone here with more experience than I (just two pjs in my lifetime) would say for sure what your problem is. But the Lens Shift of the projector does intend to accommodate such small variations from "perfect placement" I'm quite certain.

EDIT: GregCh to the rescue. Don't bother to pull the pj, just follow his instructions. Might want to start by resetting the lens to zero first; lens shift mode to display the test pattern then RESET on the remote.

Last edited by Laserfan; 04-05-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #3641 of 3661 Old 04-06-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lest anyone here suffer a near heart attack, as I just did (I'm Old!), I attempted the firmware update today and found the very last-posted (Sony Germany?) instructions to be Not Precisely Correct at least not for my own USA-market VPL-VW385ES experience. I've stricken the verbiage I have problems with:

Quote:
1. Power off the projector.

2. Make sure no other USB device is connected to the projector before starting the update.

3. Insert the USB storage device containing the update folder into USB port of the projector.

4. Power on the projector. Update process starts automatically.

Note: The ON/STANDBY indicator will blink green and then amber during the update process. The update process takes about 5 minutes to complete.

5. Once the update is complete, the ON/STANDBY indicator will lights up red, and the projector will enter Standby Mode.

6. Remove the USB device.

7. Power on the projector.

8. Once the projector completely starts and the lamp is lit, the update process is complete.
First, after inserting the USB stick and powering On (with the onboard power button on the housing) it appears the LED blinked Green just once, and then it blinked Off and On in Amber. I expected alternating colors, and a comma after "blink green" above would have helped me.

Next, when the Amber LED blinking stopped, it had only been maybe three minutes that the LED returned to Red, but I dutifully pulled the USB stick whereupon THE AMBER LED STARTED BLINKING AGAIN!? This is where I was panicking, thinking I'd prematurely pulled the USB stick and ruined the update process. Bricked projector anyone? What to do, what to do...well nothing To Do except to wait, and hope.

But after blinking Amber for some minutes, the projector made a click sound and the LED returned to Red, after which I was able to power it on and observe the v7.004 in Info. Whew...relief.

I will speculate that the initial blinking Amber LED was Reading the USB stick, and so the time might vary according to the Read Speed off the USB flash memory, which could account for the "about 5 minutes" guesstimate. But that the PJ by itself starts blinking again upon removal of the USB stick, no doubt to Write the captured data to the pj, well this second period of blinking is not mentioned in the instructions...!

For anyone who hasn't done this yet, and I only did it because I got an Apple TV 4K, here's how I would fix the instructions, noting there is only one USB port on our Sony:

Quote:
1. Begin with projector Off and ON/Standby LED is Red.

2. Insert the USB stick into USB port of the projector.

3. Power on the projector.

4. Observe that the ON/STANDBY LED blinks Green once, and then it blinks Amber for less than 5 minutes.

5. When the ON/STANDBY indicator returns to Red, Remove the USB device.

6. After a few moments the ON/STANDBY indicator resumes Amber blinking for a few more minutes.

NOTE: freshmanjs (next post) said ON/STANDBY flashes amber-red a couple times before the amber blinking resumes. I believe him cuz I'd stopped looking at it momentarily.

7. When the LED stops flashing amber and returns to solid Red (the power supply makes an obvious Click sound), you can power the projector back On again.

8. Once the projector starts and the lamp is lit, check the Info menu item and observe the new Software Version.
That's it. My heart is still beating unnaturally!

Last edited by Laserfan; 05-20-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added info from freshmanjs
post #3642 of 3661 Old 04-07-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Lest anyone here suffer a near heart attack, as I just did (I'm Old!), I attempted the firmware update today and found the very last-posted (Sony Germany?) instructions to be Not Precisely Correct at least not for my own USA-market VPL-VW385ES experience. I've stricken the verbiage I have problems with:

First, after inserting the USB stick and powering On (with the onboard power button on the housing) it appears the LED blinked Green just once, and then it blinked Off and On in Amber. I expected alternating colors, and a comma after "blink green" above would have helped me.

Next, when the Amber LED blinking stopped, it had only been maybe three minutes that the LED returned to Red, but I dutifully pulled the USB stick whereupon THE AMBER LED STARTED BLINKING AGAIN!? This is where I was panicking, thinking I'd prematurely pulled the USB stick and ruined the update process. Bricked projector anyone? What to do, what to do...well nothing To Do except to wait, and hope.

But after blinking Amber for some minutes, the projector made a click sound and the LED returned to Red, after which I was able to power it on and observe the v7.004 in Info. Whew...relief.
Thanks!! -- I just did my update. Followed your revised instructions. It happened as you said it would, except I actually had the red then amber then red cycle twice after I removed the USB stick. All good now and the dropouts are gone.
post #3643 of 3661 Old 04-07-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
Thanks!! -- I just did my update. Followed your revised instructions. It happened as you said it would, except I actually had the red then amber then red cycle twice after I removed the USB stick. All good now and the dropouts are gone.
Thanks for confirming! Regarding the "red amber cycle", my PJ is in a cabinet so I was standing in front of it when it was flashing amber, and then when it returned to red I went around to the back of the cabinet to pull-out the USB stick, not looking at the front of the pj, then only some seconds later did I notice that it was flashing amber again. Maybe I will fix my instruction to add your observation.

In hindsight it seems clear now what happened to DERG earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG
First 5 minutes were fine. It just kinda repeated this step several times. Each repeat took perhaps 2 minutes then the LED turned red for a few seconds & repeated the process until I could unplug the USB while the LED was red (standby mode). When turning the 385 on it never when into the "install phase" but booted normally. Info did indicate the update installed to 7.004
It seems likely that even after the 2nd series of amber flashing, where no doubt the PJ is WRITING the stored .bin file into flash, that if you wait too long after that is done to remove the USB stick, it will simply see the stick again after it reboots internally and begin anew to read the stick. At least that's my guess, that the PJ was reading the stick over & over again to determine if the firmware on it was newer than what it had already written. So DERG could pull it at any Red time and it would be done.

I was freaked-out enough during the unexpected 2nd series of amber flashing that I wondered if I should put the stick back-in or push the power button or WHAT THE HECK I should do, and I'm glad I didn't touch anything and just waited. Probably the power button press would have been ignored, and had I stuck the USB stick back in it would have made another READ attempt after it had finished WRITEing just like DERG saw.

Next time should be much less stressful. Hopefully too this thing is really REALLY hard to brick, ie even if an owner has a panic attack!

DERG likes this.
post #3644 of 3661 Old 04-15-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Anyone have recommendations on 100" diagonal retracting screens (non-perforated)? Seems I can work that size in my setup. Seems like the Elite VMAX 2s get decent reviews. Any input appreciated.
post #3645 of 3661 Old 04-16-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
Anyone have recommendations on 100" diagonal retracting screens (non-perforated)? Seems I can work that size in my setup. Seems like the Elite VMAX 2s get decent reviews. Any input appreciated.
I suspect you will get more feedback on this in the Screens section, and maybe there is a vmax owner's thread too.
post #3646 of 3661 Old 04-23-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

3D glasses XPAND X105

This is a note of thanks to all those here who mentioned/recommended the XPAND VISION X105-RF-X1 3D glasses for use with our VPL-VW385ES. I used ours last night to watch our very-first-ever 3D movie "Gravity". It was astonishing; I had seen it in HD on a 65" 4K TV before, but it was truly like I'd never seen it. What an experience--felt like I was in outer space for about 90 minutes.

Once I figured-out to read Page 2 of the instruction, where I think it says to hold the power button for a second again AFTER the glasses were turned-on, they synced with the Sony and the onscreen blurriness changed to an open window. Awesome.

I wear glasses myself and I can't imagine how the X105 could be improved upon--they felt like nothing and there was no sense of frames in the field-of-view or temple irritation at all. What was even more amazing was that my wife, who hates glasses and wears BTE hearing aids and has monovision--well she enjoyed the experience as well. For those who don't know, monovision for my wife anyway is that she's had lasik surgery on one eye only, so she has one eye for distance and one for closeup. How she manages I don't know myself, but I was concerned knowing how the glasses work that she might not be able to watch 3D at all. But...no complaints!?!?!!!

Having read that Gravity is among the best 3Ds ever done, I'm anxious now to try the others in my BD collection.
post #3647 of 3661 Old 05-01-2019, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6394
Quote:
Not to be a panic-peddler, but while the bricking of "many, many units" no doubt because the engineers overlooked something, bricking of individual devices is not so rare, where either the customer panics and does something wrong, or there is that Murphy's Law power glitch at exactly the wrong time. So I worry about such things.

Thankfully, compared to the early daze of these magic sauces called "firmware" and "flash memory" it seems software programmers have learned to make updates reasonably foolproof, or built-in other safeties so that when updates DO go wrong, they problems are recoverable. Would be sort of amazing to be able to turn a $25K laser projector into a brick!
That is probably why there are not many updates after a warranty is up.......
post #3648 of 3661 Old 05-11-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

AVR info displays as double-image?

I asked in my Denon AVR post about this, but I'm not sure it isn't a Sony issue. When I press the INFO button on my Denon, the resulting screen showing Source and audio details appears in offset-double-image, almost as if the Sony sees it as a 3D image. Can anyone speculate what is happening? And I'm not certain of this, because I've seen the effect w/all sources I think, but it seems it has only started showing this way since connecting my Apple TV 4K.

Another question: while I've played & enjoyed at least one 3D movie (Gravity) which was perfect, and awesome, the Sony user guide refers to "3D Settings" in the Function menu (5th line) that does not appear for me. I've assumed that it only appears when a 3D program is playing, but if that's the case how would I select the Simulated 3D effect therein (p35)?

EDIT: It seems that indeed the Sony's 3D setting was accounting for the double-image. At least, when I put-on a 3D disc and accessed the Sony's 3D settings, the setting was not at Auto and when I changed to that, the double-imaging from my Denon INFO is gone. I don't recall that I have ever used the Sony's 3D menu before, so this setting must have been altered when I pushed the 3D button on the remote (guessing).
Archibald1 likes this.

Last edited by Laserfan; 05-13-2019 at 07:11 AM.
post #3649 of 3661 Old 05-20-2019, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Fixed ATV 4K issues

So after more than 1 year of chiming and crying against Sony their firmware update recently released fixed the infamous dropouts when seeing some HDR shows from NetFlix.

I gave up about but finally I was right: it was a Sony mistake.

Even some dudes from the forum doubted it was Sony fault.

Anyway, *NOW* works flawlessly, better late than never...
Archibald1 likes this.
post #3650 of 3661 Old 05-20-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Thanks for confirming! Regarding the "red amber cycle", my PJ is in a cabinet so I was standing in front of it when it was flashing amber, and then when it returned to red I went around to the back of the cabinet to pull-out the USB stick, not looking at the front of the pj, then only some seconds later did I notice that it was flashing amber again. Maybe I will fix my instruction to add your observation.

In hindsight it seems clear now what happened to DERG earlier:

It seems likely that even after the 2nd series of amber flashing, where no doubt the PJ is WRITING the stored .bin file into flash, that if you wait too long after that is done to remove the USB stick, it will simply see the stick again after it reboots internally and begin anew to read the stick. At least that's my guess, that the PJ was reading the stick over & over again to determine if the firmware on it was newer than what it had already written. So DERG could pull it at any Red time and it would be done.

I was freaked-out enough during the unexpected 2nd series of amber flashing that I wondered if I should put the stick back-in or push the power button or WHAT THE HECK I should do, and I'm glad I didn't touch anything and just waited. Probably the power button press would have been ignored, and had I stuck the USB stick back in it would have made another READ attempt after it had finished WRITEing just like DERG saw.

Next time should be much less stressful. Hopefully too this thing is really REALLY hard to brick, ie even if an owner has a panic attack!

One thing that the Sony instructions also fail to mention is that you hear a very obvious click from the power relay when the update has completed and the unit goes back into standby. Obviously you need to be present in the room to hear it however.

That is when you remove the USB stick.

Why they don't put that (crucial) nugget in the destructions, is a good question.
Laserfan and WildBoar like this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 05-20-2019 at 05:15 AM.
post #3651 of 3661 Old 05-20-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched just our 2nd 3D movie Epic the other night and it's stunning how an otherwise "run-of-the-mill" animation becomes sensational in 3D. I think I got the Rio 3D/Epic 3D Blu-ray double for $4 bucks or something.

3D, where have you been all these years? Funny for a supposed HT fan to get excited about a technology so late in the game (and my life)! And surprised too that my monovisioned spouse can enjoy 3D. I might test her next time with a much longer movie e.g. The Great Gatsby.
post #3652 of 3661 Old 05-23-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
So after more than 1 year of chiming and crying against Sony their firmware update recently released fixed the infamous dropouts when seeing some HDR shows from NetFlix.

I gave up about but finally I was right: it was a Sony mistake.

Even some dudes from the forum doubted it was Sony fault.

Anyway, *NOW* works flawlessly, better late than never...
It was obvious all along that the problem could be fixed in either device. The fact that Sony fixed it sheds exactly zero light on the question of "fault."
Archibald1 and shs1234 like this.
post #3653 of 3661 Old 05-30-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Dynamic Iris clicking and pulsing
post #3654 of 3661 Old 05-30-2019, 03:30 PM

Dynamic iris.
Sorry for double post. I will blame it on the interface. After 500 hours on replacement projector the dynamic iris has started clicking and image pulses. Will open a service ticket with Sony. This is second 385 I have owned that has this issue. Last summer had same issue after 800 hours and sent projector in for repair. They said new optical block not available and replaced projector with B Stock. What happens if they don’t have another replacement?
post #3655 of 3661 Old 05-30-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johannesen View Post
Dynamic Iris clicking and pulsing
Hi.

That sounds like the iris logic is playing up, or the iris mechanism itself has issues.

Does turning the dynamic iris off sort it?

Failing that, does a full power cycle (including removing the AC cord for 60 seconds) improve it?

It can be fixed but will need to go in. If under warranty, then great but if not it will be expensive.

Will be the lens or a control board I reckon.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #3656 of 3661 Old 05-30-2019, 04:04 PM

Is there a good easy way to tell if the iris is working correctly?
post #3657 of 3661 Old 05-31-2019, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dynamic iris.
Sorry for double post. I will blame it on the interface. After 500 hours on replacement projector the dynamic iris has started clicking and image pulses. Will open a service ticket with Sony. This is second 385 I have owned that has this issue. Last summer had same issue after 800 hours and sent projector in for repair. They said new optical block not available and replaced projector with B Stock. What happens if they don’t have another replacement?
You can buy lenses on eBay if you look hard enough, but fitting one, whilst relatively simple, will be time consuming and is not something to be undertaken by those who aren't at least confident they can perform the task without breaking something.

Is it under warranty? If so, I would have thought they would either offer you an updated model for a nominal sum or if they are feeling generous, offer you an updated model for free.

If it is not under warranty, then it will either be an updated model/B stock for a nominal sum, an updated model for a substantial sum or a new model for full/near full RRP.

You will soon find out I guess!

Stephen Hawking.
post #3658 of 3661 Old 05-31-2019, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dynamic iris.

Three thing come to mind for checking the issue....

1 Turn the iris off.

2 Open the iris fully

3 Close the iris right down

See if any of those change or eliminate the issue.

Some have found that if you open up and close down the iris a few times, it can reset things even if only temporarily.

Turning it off should be the quickest and easiest way to check.

Remember to take pics/film things so you have evidence. They will doubtless ask for some so saves time to do it from the off.

Stephen Hawking.
post #3659 of 3661 Old 06-05-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Three thing come to mind for checking the issue....

1 Turn the iris off.

2 Open the iris fully

3 Close the iris right down

See if any of those change or eliminate the issue.

Some have found that if you open up and close down the iris a few times, it can reset things even if only temporarily.

Turning it off should be the quickest and easiest way to check.

Remember to take pics/film things so you have evidence. They will doubtless ask for some so saves time to do it from the off.
Thanks for the response.. was not able to resolve the problem. Opening a service ticket with Sony. Still have 18 months left on the warranty. I am re-reading the JVC thread and flirting with an NX9. Though that may be overkill since I use a Lumagen Pro for tonemapping.
post #3660 of 3661 Old 06-06-2019, 03:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response.. was not able to resolve the problem. Opening a service ticket with Sony. Still have 18 months left on the warranty. I am re-reading the JVC thread and flirting with an NX9. Though that may be overkill since I use a Lumagen Pro for tonemapping.
Regardless of the resolution to your iris issue, the NX9 will be in a different league to the 385!

Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page