Sony VPL-VW385ES Owners Thread - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1446Likes

post #3661 of 3687 Old 07-17-2019, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
New Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark Disc is Here:

https://www.audioholics.com/news/spe...-hdr-benchmark
Laserfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3687 Old 07-19-2019, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all. Recently got my hands on this projector.

I am running into an issue when watching HDR movies via Plex.

I will be watching for about an hour and then all of the sudden when a scene changes I will be hearing the soft clicks of what I assume is the auto-iris (I hear this during the films at other times as well) and all of the sudden the picture will be much much dimmer than in the previous scene and it will stay that way for the duration of the film.

I have no idea what is causing this. Any ideas?
post #3663 of 3687 Old 07-19-2019, 01:18 AM

Was just watching a SDR bluray and had the same issue about an hour into the film as well.

I backed out of Plex and into the Shield menu and it was still dark.

Shutting down the projector and starting it back up fixes it...but what gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3664 of 3687 Old 07-19-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12719 Post(s)
Liked: 10341
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuntherDingDingDong View Post
Was just watching a SDR bluray and had the same issue about an hour into the film as well.

I backed out of Plex and into the Shield menu and it was still dark.

Shutting down the projector and starting it back up fixes it...but what gives?
Sounds like an iris issue and it needs to be sent into service to be fixed.
post #3665 of 3687 Old 07-20-2019, 09:12 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6792 Post(s)
Liked: 6795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Watched just our 2nd 3D movie Epic the other night and it's stunning how an otherwise "run-of-the-mill" animation becomes sensational in 3D. I think I got the Rio 3D/Epic 3D Blu-ray double for $4 bucks or something.
3D, where have you been all these years? Funny for a supposed HT fan to get excited about a technology so late in the game (and my life)! And surprised too that my monovisioned spouse can enjoy 3D. I might test her next time with a much longer movie e.g. The Great Gatsby.
3D is cool, I wonder when Avatar 2 is coming out

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johannesen View Post
Thanks for the response.. was not able to resolve the problem. Opening a service ticket with Sony. Still have 18 months left on the warranty. I am re-reading the JVC thread and flirting with an NX9. Though that may be overkill since I use a Lumagen Pro for tonemapping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Regardless of the resolution to your iris issue, the NX9 will be in a different league to the 385!

I would certainly think so
post #3666 of 3687 Old 07-21-2019, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 93
What is the correct way to use the auto-calibrate feature? I'm at 750 hours. Should I run it now? What does it actually do? Would I run it again after changing the bulb in future? Thanks!
post #3667 of 3687 Old 07-21-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
What is the correct way to use the auto-calibrate feature? I'm at 750 hours. Should I run it now? What does it actually do? Would I run it again after changing the bulb in future? Thanks!
It does not calibrate to D65. It is supposed to bring the projector back to where it was out of the box.
post #3668 of 3687 Old 07-22-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
It does not calibrate to D65. It is supposed to bring the projector back to where it was out of the box.
Ok -- but then what happens when you change the bulb? Do you run it again?
post #3669 of 3687 Old 07-23-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
Ok -- but then what happens when you change the bulb? Do you run it again?
Yes, if you used it before. No if you never use it. I probably would never use it.
post #3670 of 3687 Old 07-30-2019, 11:06 AM

What are you all using for iris setting for SDR and HDR content? I've seen some suggestions to keep it all the way open and other suggestions to keep it around 60 because when fully open, it doesn't really do dynamic dimming. Thoughts? Thanks
post #3671 of 3687 Old 07-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I use the Dynamic Iris at Full and the (Iris) brightness control at 50. I understood from earlier reports that setting it to a higher value limits how much the iris can close and therefore black levels, and that with full and 50, the iris will dynamically open fully when needed.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #3672 of 3687 Old 08-01-2019, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 419
That is indeed my understanding also of how it works.

The iris brightness setting seems to work as some sort of dynamic contrast slider unless the DI is completely disabled. The higher the brightness setting, the less difference there will be between dark and bright scenes (with the DI enabled).

You can tell what the iris does when looking at it (from an angle ofcourse ) while also letting the projector's OSD stay on screen in the meantime. The iris its "pumping" effect is very noticable when you look at the OSD so that way you can easily detect whether the iris is doing something or not.

For example: when having the brightness setting at say 50 and then toggling between the three iris settings with a movie paused during a (very) bright scene, "full" will give you the brightest picure at that particular moment, "limited" will be less bright and "off" will give you the least bright picture. Pause it again during a (very) dark scene and "full" will give you the "best possible" blacks, "limited" will be less black and "off" will you give you the least blacks.

If you do this comparison with an iris brightness setting of around 85 and then working up all the way to 100, the dynamic contrast will be much less each time you go with a higher setting until there basically is no dynamic contrast anymore when reaching 100. You might as well disable the DI then.

For SDR, I have my brightness setting at 53 with the DI set to "Full". To my eyes, it seems to have less noticable "pumping" during quick transitions between dark and bright scenes than with a setting of 50.

For HDR, I also use "Full" but with an iris setting of 60 at the moment. I'm still trying to see if I can use a higher setting because it seems to me the "pumping" effect in HDR isn't as noticable with the same brightness setting as it would be in SDR.

Anyone feel free to add comments/suggestions or corrections even. For all I know, I might be completely wrong about this.
Laserfan and freshmanjs like this.
post #3673 of 3687 Old 08-01-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
That is indeed my understanding also of how it works...

Anyone feel free to add comments/suggestions or corrections even. For all I know, I might be completely wrong about this.
I realize this is the AV *Science* forum, so we happily obsess about everything with our systems, but in my case the obsession has narrowed as the years go by to mostly just enjoying the art i.e. in my case movies. So I plugged-up my pj and with a few exceptions (like using Low Lamp mode) have just left everything at defaults! I'm not currently at my HT house so can only look at the user guide and it seems it does not call-out the Default settings for the iris; in any case having left these alone I can honestly say I've noticed little-to-no pumping, especially by comparison to my old MITS HC4900.

This is truly a fine projector IMO.
post #3674 of 3687 Old 08-03-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Got my 385 back from United Radio yesterday. Warranty replaced optical block. Only downside was that they did not notify us that it was shipping. Projector was sitting on front porch when I came home for lunch. Started it up last night ands all appears to be in working order. No iris clicking or pulsing.
cemo62 and Archibald1 like this.
post #3675 of 3687 Old 08-03-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...they did not notify us that it was shipping...
All's well that ends well but...yikes not even a signature required! Glad to hear they fixed it!
post #3676 of 3687 Old 08-05-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Got my 385 back from United Radio yesterday. Warranty replaced optical block. Only downside was that they did not notify us that it was shipping. Projector was sitting on front porch when I came home for lunch. Started it up last night ands all appears to be in working order. No iris clicking or pulsing.
Yeah, they should send tracking, but often times do not. Had one guy a few years ago send off his VW1000 for repair. It was shipped back, with no notification or tracking. He found it in his yard that night when he took his dog out. It had just started lightly raining.
post #3677 of 3687 Old 10-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Motionflow not showing on reference caliberation preset

I recently had lens replaced on my 385 for clicking iris by united radio. (Clicking gone)

Since then Motionflow is not showing on reference caliberation preset while playing regular bluray discs (was showing before lens replacement). It shows up while playing 4K discs. All the other presets show motionflow except for bright cinema and reference preset

Any solutions guys?
post #3678 of 3687 Old 10-17-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy with Sony Warranty Experience

I bought a new 385 last year (July 2018). It lasted approximately 1 year and 980-1000 hours before I starting having the Iris "clicking" or "ticking" sound. I called Sony and they set me up to have my unit shipped to United Radio for repair. Within 3-4 days of United Radio having my unit, they determined the optical block had failed. Seems like more and more of these units are having this same "clicking iris" issue. That same day, they told me they placed the order for the part. I checked in the following week and they said no new optical blocks would be available until December 2019, so they were looking into trying to find a B-Stock block. Fast Forward 7 weeks; they finally got the b-stock optical block, but that one was bad too. At that time, United Radio put in for the "Advanced Exchange" program from Sony.

I was emailed from Sony, letting me know they were sending me a replacement unit. The replacements are either B-Stock units, or if none of my model is available, they would exchange it for whatever new equivalent model. I was concerned about getting a B-Stock unit because I bought a brand new one. However, the rep told me B-Stock units are typically ones with some cosmetic damage that had been fixed, or was maybe used as a demo model in a store, etc. Regardless, they are supposedly put back to factory specs, and as good as new...right.

I received my replacement unit, which was a B-Stock unit. I plugged it in, and it had about 300 MORE hours of use on it, than mine I sent to them. I called customer support and they told me that as long as the unit passes factory specs, that it's a suitable replacement, regardless of age or lamp time, etc. I thought they would've at least replaced the lamp. I feel like after 2 months of wasted down time, and then sending me someones refurb'd unit, that's the least they could do. I told the customer service rep that this feels like if I had bought a new car a year ago and the engine blew up already, and now I'm getting someone else's used car with more miles, as the replacement. They didn't care. But hey, i still have 2 more years left on my warranty! LOL.

The new unit seems fine overall, except for the fact that the "Picture Position" seems to move on it's own, which is really frustrating. I dial in the zoom, focus, and shift exactly where I want it, then save it. Then, while watching regular TV, switching channels, or switching sources (Apple TV, UHD BD, etc), I'll gradually notice the image has shifted either up or down slightly. My old unit never did this. Once I dialed it in, it stayed and was perfect. I don't feel like sending it in though, and waiting another 2 months. LOL.

If anybody feels like providing their feedback to my situation; can I ask you if the way Sony handled it, is an acceptable resolution? In my opinion, it definitely is not. I am an unhappy customer (United Radio was great though). I know JVC just does a direct swap. No messing around with shipping it back and forth, etc. I also have a 3 year old LG OLED TV that had a huge burn in mark on the screen (that was my fault). TV was out of warranty, yet they came out and replaced the panel for FREE (parts and labor) anyways! To me, that is great customer service and I will always be a customer of theirs now. However, I'll probably never buy from Sony again. This is supposed to be one of their "premium" product lines, which I had assumed would come along with a "premium" customer service experience. I was wrong. I still cannot believe this is the way it was handled.

Anyways, just wanted to share my story in regards to this unit and if anybody has any ideas on the "picture position"/scree shift issue I'm having, please let me know. Thank you!
post #3679 of 3687 Old 10-18-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmarketing View Post
I bought a new 385 last year (July 2018). It lasted approximately 1 year and 980-1000 hours...
Yours is the nightmare scenario and one that any of us, or at least folks like me who bought theirs "online" from a remote dealer, worry about happening to us. I do wonder if you'd purchased from a local full-service Home Theater Integrator or some such if they would have any more influence on the repair process than an individual consumer has.

While I think I understand Sony's point-of-view about refurbs being OK replacement units, what is [astonishingly] difficult is knowing that the refurb is "as-new" or at least 100% functional. So some of them have well-hidden problems such as your picture movement.

I have no answers for you except to keep pushing on them until you have a perfectly functioning PJ. If it were me I might try to entice them by saying "can you give me full value for this one and I will pay the difference for the next version Up from this" or something.

Good luck in any case!
post #3680 of 3687 Old 10-18-2019, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

If it were me I might try to entice them by saying "can you give me full value for this one and I will pay the difference for the next version Up from this" or something.
Personally, I think a refurbished model or whatever would be unacceptable.

God forbid it would ever happen to me, but if it did, they would either have to just repair my 385ES or give me a replacement model which in this case would have to be the 695ES. Or, like you said, I would pay them the difference, but I know they don't do things like that.
post #3681 of 3687 Old 10-18-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Paragraph 1 of the warranty states: "Sony will, at its option...repair the product using new or refurbished parts or replace the product with a new or recertified/refurbish product of the same (or similar) model."

Note of course "at its option".

The warranty also talks about an arbitration process and that you needed to notify them within 30 days of purchase if you didn't want to be bound by it.

Quote:
Personally, I think a refurbished model or whatever would be unacceptable...
You can take that position but I doubt it would be catered-to by Sony nor supportable in any legal way.
post #3682 of 3687 Old 10-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Yours is the nightmare scenario and one that any of us, or at least folks like me who bought theirs "online" from a remote dealer, worry about happening to us. I do wonder if you'd purchased from a local full-service Home Theater Integrator or some such if they would have any more influence on the repair process than an individual consumer has.

While I think I understand Sony's point-of-view about refurbs being OK replacement units, what is [astonishingly] difficult is knowing that the refurb is "as-new" or at least 100% functional. So some of them have well-hidden problems such as your picture movement.

I have no answers for you except to keep pushing on them until you have a perfectly functioning PJ. If it were me I might try to entice them by saying "can you give me full value for this one and I will pay the difference for the next version Up from this" or something.

Good luck in any case!
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I did buy mine from a local dealer and he is also trying to help me, but can't seem to get much further than I can. I'm concerned now that if I report the issue with this projector, that they'll want me to go through the entire song and dance process again with United Radio. I don't want to ship it back, wait 2 months, to just get another refurb. If Sony could just take it back and swap it with another refurb, then we can try again. But I don't know if they would make it that easy on me.
post #3683 of 3687 Old 10-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Personally, I think a refurbished model or whatever would be unacceptable.

God forbid it would ever happen to me, but if it did, they would either have to just repair my 385ES or give me a replacement model which in this case would have to be the 695ES. Or, like you said, I would pay them the difference, but I know they don't do things like that.
It's unacceptable to me as well, but what can I do about it? I'm not going to throw good money after bad, trying to sue them over it. I probably wouldn't win anyways because it's int he warranty terms that they can replace it with a refurb). They could've repaired my original 385, but they told me that new optical blocks for this model aren't available until December (2019). In that case, I would've been out a projector for 4 months. They tried to repair it with a b-stock optical block, but that block failed as well, which lead us to the "advanced exchange" program that got me the refurbed one I have now.

The unit I have now has an issue as well. The image doesn't stay in position. I'll set it and dial it in to my screen, and the image will gradually move up or down.
post #3684 of 3687 Old 10-18-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmarketing View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I did buy mine from a local dealer and he is also trying to help me, but can't seem to get much further than I can. I'm concerned now that if I report the issue with this projector, that they'll want me to go through the entire song and dance process again with United Radio. I don't want to ship it back, wait 2 months, to just get another refurb. If Sony could just take it back and swap it with another refurb, then we can try again. But I don't know if they would make it that easy on me.
Well I think you have to try, i.e. when they say "send it to United Radio" tell them you've been through this before, and don't want to be without a pj through these critical months, "is there ANY WAY for you to simply return another unit to me upon receipt of this broken refurb?"

The only other thing I can suggest is to ask your dealer to give you full-value, or at least whatever a year-old PJ is worth, in trade for e.g. a new JVC (if not Sony) and then he gets to deal with Sony and sell the refurb when it is finally sale-worthy.
post #3685 of 3687 Old 11-08-2019, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So it happened, my iris has started to click. I only have about 600 hours on this projector and looking at other's stories regarding warranty repair, I am very concerned. Any suggestions?
post #3686 of 3687 Old 11-10-2019, 10:23 PM

I turned on my projector tonight and head about 5 rapid clicking noises.

I then noticed that the brightness of my projector was about 40% of what it normally is.

Controlling the "bightness" setting under advanced iris does do anything at all...the brightness does not change and the iris doesn't change sizes.

I am assuming my iris is busted. Would you agree? How much does it cost to repair that normally?
post #3687 of 3687 Old 11-11-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I had the same issue (Clicking noises) that started with only 700 hour use. They replaced optical block twice that did not solve the problem. The third time they replaced the lens (Last month). This appeared to solve the problem so far.
I have one more year of warranty left. Hopefully it wont occur again. I don't know how much it will cost. So far warranty covered the 3 time repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page