Sony VPL-VW385ES Owners Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1443Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2161 of 3676 Old 11-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Member
 
WildBoar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glacier Park
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
Do the Sony read the HDR10 metadata and change its gamma curve accordingly?

I suppose the answer is no but want to confirm. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com//forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Why do you suppose that?
Because, AFAIK, JVC and Epson don't do it so I thought the likelyhood would be the same
WildBoar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2162 of 3676 Old 11-11-2017, 03:22 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamfinger View Post
Pick up a Panasonic UB200 and a HD Fury Linker. Use a custom EID on the Linker (I believe this is Custom #10 in the GUI) to spoof the player into sending SDR BT2020. This will enable the players excellent HDR to SDR conversion. The 385es will automatically switch to BT2020 color space.



The above will give you the benefit of WCG without the dark scene brightness issues you get with some UHD titles.

Or someone figure out a HarperVision setting for this puppy so you can maintain HDR too!

I've been trying to get one for a couple weeks but my partner dealer keeps saying it's a few weeks out!
Frohlich likes this.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2163 of 3676 Old 11-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Member
 
WildBoar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glacier Park
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Are you asking if it does it dynamically like DolbyVision would, or just when it initially sees an HDR10 signal on its input, so it switches into its proper HDR mode, including the right gamma curve?
The second one, I'm referring to the initial metadata (MaxCLL, etc) sent within an HDR10 signal (not HDR10+)

Last edited by WildBoar; 11-11-2017 at 03:27 PM.
WildBoar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2164 of 3676 Old 11-12-2017, 04:38 AM
Member
 
Brewster01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Came across 'Blanking adjustment' in setup menu- how is this used?
Brewster01 is offline  
post #2165 of 3676 Old 11-12-2017, 05:17 AM
Member
 
Brewster01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamfinger View Post
If you zoom for CIH variable aspect ratio movies become a problem. When the movie shifts from letterbox to full screen the image will be projected above and below your 2.35:1 screen. You can enable blanking on the projector to avoid this. The image will be cropped but won't normally look funny as the director will have framed the shot so everything important is centered anyways.
Ah- So - I could use this to 'focus' and 'adjust' to the 'full area' of a 2.35 screen - and then use 'blanking' to crop out anything above and below so when I switch to normal aspect everything will be right. I just got my 2.35 screen and have not been successful setting it up yet
Brewster01 is offline  
post #2166 of 3676 Old 11-12-2017, 06:00 AM
Member
 
Brewster01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamfinger View Post
Well I don't completely follow you but it might be my fault.

I really don't see a use for blanking other than with variable aspect films (which there aren't many of). I'm sure there is but I can't think of it.

With 'normal films' or TV with a fixed aspect ratio you would use the motorized lens and lens memory to adjust for different aspect ratios. The blanking would not be needed. At least not with a screen that has black velvet borders to absorb any overspray. You would just need to make sure your throw allows you to fill your 2.35 screen with the letter boxes above and below the frame as this image is technically larger than a 16:9 full screen image in the same setup.

Let's say you have just mounted your 2.35:1 screen. And have the Tron Legacy or Dark Knight Blu-rays (for example).

Turn off the test pattern in the projector menu and launch the film. Find a scene that is letter boxed. Adjust the lens (shift, zoom and focus) so the screen is filled. Save this as a lens position.

Then skip to an IMAX scene. You'll now see the image above and below your screen. Enable blanking on the projector and adjust until you no longer see any overspray.

The projector will save your blanking settings. ONLY turn on blanking when viewing one of these variable aspect mode movies. Leave it off otherwise.
Thanks- that explains it better! I was using the 'test pattern' vs using an actual film. In other words get everything adjusted and save under the '2.35' position.
Brewster01 is offline  
post #2167 of 3676 Old 11-12-2017, 06:54 AM
Member
 
Brewster01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamfinger View Post
Using the custom positions you can get really crazy if you want:

I use the 1.85 position for exactly that (1.85 would normally have a very slight sliver of letterbox on a 16:9 screen).

Then the 2.35 position for 2.35 (but you'll find not many movies are actually exactly 2.35)

Then a custom position for 2.40 (this would normally have some very slight letterboxing if you viewed with your 2.35 setting).

Then another custom position for 1.78 (TV) as this would be slightly cropped at your 1.85 setting.

But the above is probably not necessary for most people. If you want to keep it simple setup 1.78 and 2.35 and you won't lose any content to cropping.

Also to avoid any undesirable scaling use the normal aspect mode on your projector. Not the 'zoom' modes. This will result in a little extra overspray when zoomed but it's worth it in my opinion.
Thanks again! I'm using a Da Lite with the 'Black Velvet' frame so overspray won't be issue. Also - my previous projector was a 10 year old Panasonic AE700U - so I'm a bit overwhelmed with all this new tech!
Brewster01 is offline  
post #2168 of 3676 Old 11-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
DERG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ocala, Florida
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamfinger View Post
The 385 must definitely feel like a huge upgrade!
Hey, EVEN my better half agrees it's a huge upgrade from our 10yr old Marantz VP-15s1 which I thought was great!
Brewster01 and Yamfinger like this.

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
DERG is online now  
post #2169 of 3676 Old 11-13-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV Doogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post
Hey, EVEN my better half agrees it's a huge upgrade from our 10yr old Marantz VP-15s1 which I thought was great!
Still have my 15S1 running. The Marantz always put on a nice show. What kind of differences do you see with the '385 versus the 15S1. What size and type of screen do you use?

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
AV Doogie is online now  
post #2170 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Watched War for the Planet of the Apes 4kUHD last night. Amazing PQ. Several close ups of the apes faces really demonstrate the clarity and details with this projector. 4k HDR is so good on this projector that I don't use the oppo strip metadata feature at all anymore.

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
jbrinegar is offline  
post #2171 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Senior Member
 
zax123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
Watched War for the Planet of the Apes 4kUHD last night. Amazing PQ. Several close ups of the apes faces really demonstrate the clarity and details with this projector. 4k HDR is so good on this projector that I don't use the oppo strip metadata feature at all anymore.
@jbrinegar , would you mind sharing your screen size, ratio and gain and throw distance?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited by zax123; 11-14-2017 at 03:30 PM.
zax123 is offline  
post #2172 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 258
[quote=zax123;55126672]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
Watched War for the Planet of the Apes 4kUHD last night. Amazing PQ. Several close ups of the apes faces really demonstrate the clarity and details with this projector. 4k HDR is so good on this projector that I don't use the oppo strip metadata feature at all anymore.[/quote @jbrinegar , would you mind sharing your screen size, ratio and gain and throw distance?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Sure. Im using a 135" (diagonal 16x9) screen, cima neve. I think the gain is around 1.1, possibly a little bit higher. I have the projector as close as I can get it, about 14 feet away

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
jbrinegar is offline  
post #2173 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 4,415
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 2225
Not only do 4k UHD blu rays look phenomenal but I am surprised at how good 4k streaming looks and even regular 1080P blu rays scaled to 4K by the projector. Throw in the 4K gaming and this has truly been a great upgrade for me. Spending a lot of time with the Xbox one X recently. Very happy with the picture on this projector.
jbrinegar and roxiedog13 like this.
Frohlich is offline  
post #2174 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
zax123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
[quote=jbrinegar;55126744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zax123 View Post
Sure. Im using a 135" (diagonal 16x9) screen, cima neve. I think the gain is around 1.1, possibly a little bit higher. I have the projector as close as I can get it, about 14 feet away
That's very encouraging thanks. I'm planning on doing a 140" screen with 1.15 gain and 14'6" throw distance in a perfectly dark room, so it should be ok in terms of brightness for HDR. Phew!
jbrinegar likes this.
zax123 is offline  
post #2175 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
DERG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ocala, Florida
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post
Still have my 15S1 running. The Marantz always put on a nice show. What kind of differences do you see with the '385 versus the 15S1. What size and type of screen do you use?
I use a Stewart 2.35 CIH 130" 1.3 gain screen. With the 15s1 I had an Optoma Anamorphic lens. Removed that lens as the Sony 385 has zoom memory feature.

  • The Sony is much brighter
  • Noticeably deeper blacks.
  • 4k has more detail, of course
  • The biggest difference is HDR color has noticeably more punch.
  • The Sony seems a bit quieter.
  • And 3d. Something the Marantz couldn't do. This is a cool feature.

We experienced 3d for the 1st time last night. I popped Jurassic World 3d in & tuned in the glasses. The whole setup took about a minute. Wow! Simply blown away. The better half is even more impressed now than before! I didn't think that was possible.

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
DERG is online now  
post #2176 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,934
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2782 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
[quote=zax123;55126964]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post

That's very encouraging thanks. I'm planning on doing a 140" screen with 1.15 gain and 14'6" throw distance in a perfectly dark room, so it should be ok in terms of brightness for HDR. Phew!

Honestly, I think that size screen( assuming the 140" is diagonal and scope ratio) and 1.15 gain is going to be marginal . Even if it was acceptable now for your tastes, in 500 hours you will loose close to 25% brightness.


For reference I had a VW675 and RS600 which calibrates around 1550 new. My screen 133" diagonal scope, curved and 1.4 gain screen , distance same as yours. I was using the DC1 Panamorph lens which I actually measured , reclaims 20% more brightness with the stretch rather than zoom method . For 3D it was adequate , same for HDR .


My previous projector was a VW600 rated 1700 ANSI, calibrated around 1400. I had the same setup of anamorphic lens and throw distance the screen then was 120" scope
rated 1.26 gain . It was marginal for 3D , I always felt it was less than ideal especially on darker style movies . Bright animated movies were OK.


All of the above would be able to run low for non HDR 2D content, 3D and HDR always on high . My guess for your screen choice, you would be running high lamp
all the time for regular content .


To get even close for HDR you would want minimum 1.3 gain , a screen no bigger than 120" scope . I'd actually recommend something of higher gain or reduce the screen proportionately .


This is all off the top of my head , so take it with a grain of salt . I suggest a much closer look at your screen choice though , I can almost guarantee you need to make some
compromises .


For what it's worth, I'm considering lowering my screen size from 134" diagonal to 125-130" . I have a VW885 on the way and the newest Paladin lens from Panamorph.
which is even brighter than my previous. For my theater with two rows of three dedicated chairs, this screen size is more than adequate. Oh, my first row is at the 9 ft mark
row two is 15. Getting closer to a 4K image is doable and very immersive , yet another factor to consider .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #2177 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
zax123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
[quote=roxiedog13;55128718]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zax123 View Post


Honestly, I think that size screen( assuming the 140" is diagonal and scope ratio) and 1.15 gain is going to be marginal . Even if it was acceptable now for your tastes, in 500 hours you will loose close to 25% brightness.


For reference I had a VW675 and RS600 which calibrates around 1550 new. My screen 133" diagonal scope, curved and 1.4 gain screen , distance same as yours. I was using the DC1 Panamorph lens which I actually measured , reclaims 20% more brightness with the stretch rather than zoom method . For 3D it was adequate , same for HDR .


My previous projector was a VW600 rated 1700 ANSI, calibrated around 1400. I had the same setup of anamorphic lens and throw distance the screen then was 120" scope
rated 1.26 gain . It was marginal for 3D , I always felt it was less than ideal especially on darker style movies . Bright animated movies were OK.


All of the above would be able to run low for non HDR 2D content, 3D and HDR always on high . My guess for your screen choice, you would be running high lamp
all the time for regular content .


To get even close for HDR you would want minimum 1.3 gain , a screen no bigger than 120" scope . I'd actually recommend something of higher gain or reduce the screen proportionately .


This is all off the top of my head , so take it with a grain of salt . I suggest a much closer look at your screen choice though , I can almost guarantee you need to make some
compromises .


For what it's worth, I'm considering lowering my screen size from 134" diagonal to 125-130" . I have a VW885 on the way and the newest Paladin lens from Panamorph.
which is even brighter than my previous. For my theater with two rows of three dedicated chairs, this screen size is more than adequate. Oh, my first row is at the 9 ft mark
row two is 15. Getting closer to a 4K image is doable and very immersive , yet another factor to consider .
Hi @roxiedog13 ,

You're probably right, I am expecting too much from this setup. I'm wondering if dropping to 130" will even be enough of a change. I can't afford a 1.3 gain screen (StudioTek 130). I'm going with the Elunevision 1.15.

I wish I could afford the 885, that would be awesome!

Maybe I should reconsider going back to a JVC RS640/X990 which is brighter... I'm just really worried about the eShift noise with the projector being 18" from my ears.

jbrinegar likes this.
zax123 is offline  
post #2178 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 258
All I can say is my setup HDR is plenty bright for me. Hopefully it will stay that way even as the bulb ages.

Even though my previous JVC was higher rated on lumens, the sony seems so much brighter and sharper on HDR. I definitely prefer the Sony 4k image vs. the JVC eshift (I really liked the JVC, I just like the sony more). I sit about 10 feet away from the screen.

I don't think you can go wrong really as both the sony and JVC both throw a beautiful image. I find the projector noise in high lamp is about the same to my ears between my sony and my JVC rs500 (I never really notice it with the speakers drowning it out)

Edited bc of confusing quoting

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve

Last edited by jbrinegar; 11-14-2017 at 03:38 PM.
jbrinegar is offline  
post #2179 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Member
 
WildBoar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glacier Park
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post
I would recommend the "XPAND X105-RF-X1 Rechargeable 3D RF/Bluetooth Glasses" on amazon.
I didn't have a transmitter to attach or anything. All you do is display a 3D image, put on the glasses and follow the instructions that come with the glasses to register them with the projector. This only has to be done once. After that all you do is hit the little button to turn 3D on/off. You can also play with the 3D settings on the projector to adjust brightness as well as I use High lamp for 3D viewing.
What 3D glasses are best suited for those who wear glasses? The Sony ones or the XPAND?
WildBoar is offline  
post #2180 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,210
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12307 Post(s)
Liked: 9927
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
All I can say is my setup HDR is plenty bright for me. Hopefully it will stay that way even as the bulb ages.

Even though my previous JVC was higher rated on lumens, the sony seems so much brighter and sharper on HDR. I definitely prefer the Sony 4k image vs. the JVC eshift (I really liked the JVC, I just like the sony more). I sit about 10 feet away from the screen.

I don't think you can go wrong really as both the sony and JVC both throw a beautiful image. I find the projector noise in high lamp is about the same to my ears between my sony and my JVC rs500 (I never really notice it with the speakers drowning it out)

Hi @roxiedog13 ,

You're probably right, I am expecting too much from this setup. I'm wondering if dropping to 130" will even be enough of a change. I can't afford a 1.3 gain screen (StudioTek 130). I'm going with the Elunevision 1.15.

I wish I could afford the 885, that would be awesome!

Maybe I should reconsider going back to a JVC RS640/X990 which is brighter... I'm just really worried about the eShift noise with the projector being 18" from my ears.

[/QUOTE]

If you currently have Cima Neve, going to ST130 is not going to be a large jump in brightness.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #2181 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 258
If you currently have Cima Neve, going to ST130 is not going to be a large jump in brightness.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mike, I messed up my quoting on that post, lol. I love my neve screen and my projector, not planning on changing it out, no problems with brightness for me. I was just letting Zax and Roxie know how happy I am with my current setup.

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
jbrinegar is offline  
post #2182 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
zax123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
If you currently have Cima Neve, going to ST130 is not going to be a large jump in brightness.
Hi Mike, I messed up my quoting on that post, lol. I love my neve screen and my projector, not planning on changing it out, no problems with brightness for me. I was just letting Zax and Roxie know how happy I am with my current setup. [/QUOTE]

I'm starting to think that just to be safe, I should do a 130" screen. My two rows of seating distances are about 9ft and 15ft also.

I realize new owners are very happy with the picture now, but when the brightness drops by 25%, it will be a whole other story I think.

I think my new plan will be 130" and 385ES now, and then in a few years, sell kidney and buy 140" screen and whatever replaced the 885ES by then.
jbrinegar likes this.
zax123 is offline  
post #2183 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Senior Member
 
zax123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamfinger View Post
I'm not a home right now but I took readings on my 385 with 4 hrs on the bulb and again with 180. If anyone is interested I can report back on the brightness loss. But can't say it will be typical. Your mileage may vary.
Count me in as interested

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
zax123 is offline  
post #2184 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamfinger View Post
I'm not a home right now but I took readings on my 385 with 4 hrs on the bulb and again with 180. If anyone is interested I can report back on the brightness loss. But can't say it will be typical. Your mileage may vary.
Im interested too.

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
jbrinegar is offline  
post #2185 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,147
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6863 Post(s)
Liked: 8091
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
If you currently have Cima Neve, going to ST130 is not going to be a large jump in brightness.
Quote:
Hi Mike, I messed up my quoting on that post, lol. I love my neve screen and my projector, not planning on changing it out, no problems with brightness for me. I was just letting Zax and Roxie know how happy I am with my current setup.
It will not be worth it - the Cima Neve may be closer to the ST130 in gain than Stewart rates it. They are very close.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 11-14-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #2186 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,934
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2782 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
What 3D glasses are best suited for those who wear glasses? The Sony ones or the XPAND?

Xpand for two reasons . First the lens are wider than most , your peripheral vision will not be obstructed . Second and most important the earpieces are really wide
they effectively block light from entering at the sides preventing internal reflections and also all other distracting movement ,lights , etc. They are not the most comfortable or the lightest but functionally are the best. A recharge lasts me months, at least a quarter year for my watching habits anyway .
WildBoar likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #2187 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV Doogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post
I use a Stewart 2.35 CIH 130" 1.3 gain screen. With the 15s1 I had an Optoma Anamorphic lens. Removed that lens as the Sony 385 has zoom memory feature.

  • The Sony is much brighter
  • Noticeably deeper blacks.
  • 4k has more detail, of course
  • The biggest difference is HDR color has noticeably more punch.
  • The Sony seems a bit quieter.
  • And 3d. Something the Marantz couldn't do. This is a cool feature.

We experienced 3d for the 1st time last night. I popped Jurassic World 3d in & tuned in the glasses. The whole setup took about a minute. Wow! Simply blown away. The better half is even more impressed now than before! I didn't think that was possible.
...sounds like a winner for the price. I have been spoiled by my LG OLED 65" with its beautiful blacks and seemingly clean 4k capability. I remember paying close to 9k for the 15S1 way back in 2009?
Do you notice any hot spotting with the 1.3 gain screen? What video player are you using for 4k playback?

Thanks

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
AV Doogie is online now  
post #2188 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,147
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6863 Post(s)
Liked: 8091
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post
...sounds like a winner for the price. I have been spoiled by my LG OLED 65" with its beautiful blacks and seemingly clean 4k capability. I remember paying close to 9k for the 15S1 way back in 2009?
Do you notice any hot spotting with the 1.3 gain screen? What video player are you using for 4k playback?

Thanks
I never see hot spotting on my ST130 screen. It's not that high a gain - just make sure your throw distance is at least 1.3 screen widths.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #2189 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,934
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2782 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
[quote=zax123;55128738]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Hi @roxiedog13,

You're probably right, I am expecting too much from this setup. I'm wondering if dropping to 130" will even be enough of a change. I can't afford a 1.3 gain screen (StudioTek 130). I'm going with the Elunevision 1.15.

I wish I could afford the 885, that would be awesome!

Maybe I should reconsider going back to a JVC RS640/X990 which is brighter... I'm just really worried about the eShift noise with the projector being 18" from my ears.


My screen material is the Draper XT1800, you could look at that material see what the current cost is . It is rated at 1.8 gain, the actual is closer to 1.5. It does not hotspot, does not have a noticeable shift in brightness or color and most important it does not sparkle like many of the other gain screens . I tested at least one dozen materials this one by far was the best one. It has a little more texture that a reference matt white material , the texture is not seen until the material is viewed with microscopic inspection .


Dropping to 130" diagonal scope ( again I am assuming scope screen since you have not verified) will need to happen and you will still need gain. I'm not aware of the real world calibrated values are for the Sony VW385 but if 1500 ANSI my guess is 1200 range . I understand HDR is brighter than average but the JVC will definitely be an option to consider , it is rated much higher. Did you ditch the RS640 ? I lost a lot of money moving my RS600 within the first year, not something you want to do often .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #2190 of 3676 Old 11-14-2017, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Xpand for two reasons . First the lens are wider than most , your peripheral vision will not be obstructed . Second and most important the earpieces are really wide
they effectively block light from entering at the sides preventing internal reflections and also all other distracting movement ,lights , etc. They are not the most comfortable or the lightest but functionally are the best. A recharge lasts me months, at least a quarter year for my watching habits anyway .
I've ordered a pair of xpand 104 so I can try playing with the timing settings, see if it can be used for crosstalk reduction.

I've also ordered a set of Hi-Shock Black Diamond. They have an impressive contrast ratio (1200:1) and ultra fast response (1ms) which is also be something which should help with crosstalk.

Xpand don't seem to publish the physical specs for their glasses though.

I'll let people know the results, but I'm not sure what the right thread is.
WildBoar likes this.
MOberhardt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off