Sony VPL-VW285ES Owners Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3032Likes

post #3601 of 3780 Old 04-28-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucama View Post
Hi,

yesterday i turned off the factory set zone panel alignment through the service menu.
I followed perfectly the instruction ( Set panel on Projector to "PRESET"- only 21 Option set to 0 and aligned the panel using 6-7-8-9 menu and saved to memory.
The result is ok ( test pattern ok )
But then i'can't use the panel alignment in the normal MENU of the projector (shift/zone) because when i set "ADJUST" instead of "PRESET" the Projector loses the alignment made before in the service menu.
I've read that after turning off the factory zone I'd be able to make fine adjustement in the normal ADJUST menu

Why?

Many thanks in advance

Luca
so did you notice any picture quality improvement? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3780 Old 04-29-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2040 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post
so did you notice any picture quality improvement? Thanks
Go up close to the screen when switching option 21 from 0 to 1 and back again. Look closely at the white text of the menu as you do this.

You will see subtle changes, such as maybe a tiny bit of red or blue fringing occurring as you switch back and forth. Leave it on the setting where the text looks whitest to you would be my advice. Be that 0 or 1.
cemo62 likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #3603 of 3780 Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
You need to make sure that user panel alignment is reset back to factory (option is in the user alignment menu section) and then set it to 'preset' before doing ANY other adjustments.
If done correctly, then user panel alignment should work as expected after the SM tweaks.
Thanks a lot for the reply.
I think to have done a reset back to factory .....but i'll try it again.
Now that interested service menu option are already set to 0. So I'll try to reset back to factory the panel alignment,(leaving set to "preset"), going to service mode and align the panel through the 6-7-8-9 service menu mode and save .
Then the user panel alignment (zone) should work as expected in the regular menu as you said ? is it right ?

Thanks
Luca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3604 of 3780 Old 04-29-2019, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
comparison with UHZ65?
post #3605 of 3780 Old 04-29-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply.
I think to have done a reset back to factory .....but i'll try it again.
Now that interested service menu option are already set to 0. So I'll try to reset back to factory the panel alignment,(leaving set to "preset"), going to service mode and align the panel through the 6-7-8-9 service menu mode and save .
Then the user panel alignment (zone) should work as expected in the regular menu as you said ? is it right ?

Thanks
Luca
I would go back into the SM and reset 21 to 1.
Then reset user panel alignment to 'preset'.

Then go back into SM and change 21 to 0.

Then use 6, 7 8 and 9 to carefully do base alignment. Then save.

IMPORTANT.... Make sure the projector is full warmed up (at least an hour) and properly focussed, before doing any of this.

Once done, save and panel alignment should still function (if required) in the user menu.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #3606 of 3780 Old 04-29-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6681 Post(s)
Liked: 6678
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDennis View Post

Here's the kicker; I don't have a screen. I'm shooting a 135" picture against a very smooth wall painted with Benjamin Moore Whale Gray flat paint. I painted all my walls this color to darken the HT room that is about 17W (screen wall) x 23D ft. I'm using about 3/4 of that 23 for my HT. I didn't buy a screen initially because I wanted to shoot to the bare wall to figure out the screen size. My first thoughts were Holly Crap do I really need a screen?????? I can put up a 4K nature video from YouTube and the picture quality will blow your mind.....

I have had several friends look at my setup and they all say the same thing, why buy a screen when it looks that good on the wall.
They do make special paint for that is you are interested ....
post #3607 of 3780 Old 04-30-2019, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
They do make special paint for that is you are interested ....

At the end of the day I will buy a screen but for now I'm slow walking that to spend screen money on speakers. Next up is wire management, projector electrical / HDMI cable, recessed lighting Etc. Really need to get all this wiring inside the walls vice running along the kick boards.

Sony VPL-VW285ES Projector / Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver / Aircom T10 Cooling Fan
Sony BDP-S790 3D/Blu-Ray / Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD
Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc / Lexicon LDD-1 Demodulator
Samsung DVD-VR375 DVD/VHS
post #3608 of 3780 Old 04-30-2019, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
I would go back into the SM and reset 21 to 1.
Then reset user panel alignment to 'preset'.

Then go back into SM and change 21 to 0.

Then use 6, 7 8 and 9 to carefully do base alignment. Then save.

IMPORTANT.... Make sure the projector is full warmed up (at least an hour) and properly focussed, before doing any of this.

Once done, save and panel alignment should still function (if required) in the user menu.

Tonight I'll do that ;-)

Thanks again
Archibald1 likes this.
post #3609 of 3780 Old 04-30-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tonight I'll do that ;-)

Thanks again
No probs.
Check my post #3602 for another pointer.

Stephen Hawking.
post #3610 of 3780 Old 04-30-2019, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDennis View Post
At the end of the day I will buy a screen but for now I'm slow walking that to spend screen money on speakers. Next up is wire management, projector electrical / HDMI cable, recessed lighting Etc. Really need to get all this wiring inside the walls vice running along the kick boards.
I highly recommend a starter screen. Something that will help you dial in placement and throw.Da-Lite has manual pull down models for around $100. Take a wild guess at the size and gain and try it out. It will help you buy the right one on the next go round.
post #3611 of 3780 Old 05-01-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Speaking of screens, what’s a good match for my room? My room is 99% blacked out, I have an 88” Carada 1.1 gain and a 12’ throw, so I’m getting plenty of brightness, but lacking good blacks on non-HDR material. I want to go to 110”, and don’t want to spend $1000.
post #3612 of 3780 Old 05-01-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
Speaking of screens, what’s a good match for my room? My room is 99% blacked out, I have an 88” Carada 1.1 gain and a 12’ throw, so I’m getting plenty of brightness, but lacking good blacks on non-HDR material. I want to go to 110”, and don’t want to spend $1000.
Call me what you want but I bought my 120" screen from Amazon for a couple hundred buck and love the quality.
Brian Hampton likes this.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #3613 of 3780 Old 05-01-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I hear fan noise is getting louder, is this normal? I only had it for 5 months now. Thanks
post #3614 of 3780 Old 05-02-2019, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Joining the ranks of 285 owners as of today - got a good deal on a l/n demo w/50 hours. Setting it up temporarily with a (also demo) 1000 player, in place of my 40, I put on Dunkirk 4K. Normally I watch a 108" diagonal screen from 15 feet away. Certainly couldn't see any pixels or blur from that distance, so moved up to about ten feet, a little closer than I like. The PQ was still great, with good black level.

Had projectors all the way from the KLH 3-CRT, and this thing looks GOOD to me. But just starting to learn about it.

Anybody recommend particular reading material on small home theater design? I have a space about 11 x 16 x 8.5 to think about. And a Denon 6500 coming to replace the 3312ci.
post #3615 of 3780 Old 05-02-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Nguyen View Post
I hear fan noise is getting louder, is this normal? I only had it for 5 months now. Thanks
Certainly not normal.
post #3616 of 3780 Old 05-02-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 918
I think I may be ready for a new bulb, I have 1854 hours and saw some flickering yesterday. I switched to high for a while and maybe the flickering went away.

I'm going to try the bare bulb replacement option from Amazon for an even hundred. If it's truly Phillips bulb as they claim then I don't see any problem with sourcing it from there.

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-03-2019 at 02:58 AM.
post #3617 of 3780 Old 05-02-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
Certainly not normal.
The fan noise is only happen at the beginning when I first turn it ON, if I turn it OFF and back ON the noise go away. I just called Sony, my unit is under 3 years warranty, but they want me to send in my unit, so I don't know if it worth it to send it in. Same with Geek-Squak, they want me to bring it in, but when I bought extended warranty from Best Buy, they say they come out, but now they told me to bring it in to fix. Piss me off
post #3618 of 3780 Old 05-03-2019, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The fan noise is only happen at the beginning when I first turn it ON, if I turn it OFF and back ON the noise go away. I just called Sony, my unit is under 3 years warranty, but they want me to send in my unit, so I don't know if it worth it to send it in. Same with Geek-Squak, they want me to bring it in, but when I bought extended warranty from Best Buy, they say they come out, but now they told me to bring it in to fix. Piss me off
Wait - DO NOT GIVE TO GEEK SQUAD (They are knowledge-able but not qualified for anything but replacing this PJ.)

IT's worth it to send it to Sony. They (US Radio if I remember the name correctly) will fix it right and if they can't get it back to you in 10 days expect a 295 instead.

I sent my HW30 and received a new HW45 because parts for the HW30 were back ordered.
Dat Nguyen likes this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-03-2019 at 02:46 AM.
post #3619 of 3780 Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhdnut View Post
Joining the ranks of 285 owners as of today - got a good deal on a l/n demo w/50 hours. Setting it up temporarily with a (also demo) 1000 player, in place of my 40, I put on Dunkirk 4K. Normally I watch a 108" diagonal screen from 15 feet away. Certainly couldn't see any pixels or blur from that distance, so moved up to about ten feet, a little closer than I like. The PQ was still great, with good black level.

Had projectors all the way from the KLH 3-CRT, and this thing looks GOOD to me. But just starting to learn about it.

Anybody recommend particular reading material on small home theater design? I have a space about 11 x 16 x 8.5 to think about. And a Denon 6500 coming to replace the 3312ci.
I used CRTS (Sony 1271, Electrohome 8500, Sony G70)
And Denon (I would have to look those numbers up but who cares)
I have a small space.

Here's a good tip (I think) ... Buy a Fiber optic HDMI cable for the run from your AVR to PJ. In my case the AVR, ATV4K, UHD player, Harmony Hub reciever and network switch are all outside of the room so the cable from the system to the PJ is 25 feet long. I suppose a new and premium certified HDMI cable would also work but fiber optic ended my cable concerns and the ATV4K is picky about cables. The rest of my HDMI cables are 4 foot premium certified (which are simple to find and cheap.)

I use a 2:35 screen... not sure I can recommend that esp now that movies more often have variable AR. But I love it. It's 125" in 2:35 and 100" in 16:9. Another forum member gave it to me when he upgraded. Before that, I had a 120" 16:9 silver ticket from Amazon.

Well... maybe I'm not an expert but those are a couple of things that spring to my mind. There's likely a lot of people ready to help in the theater builder forum.

-Brian
post #3620 of 3780 Old 05-03-2019, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Wait - DO NOT GIVE TO GEEK SQUAD (They are knowledge-able but not qualified for anything but replacing this PJ.)

IT's worth it to send it to Sony. They (US Radio if I remember the name correctly) will fix it right and if they can't get it back to you in 10 days expect a 295 instead.

I sent my HW30 and received a new HW45 because parts for the HW30 were back ordered.

Yes, it's US Radio in Syracuse, and yes, they are great. I had a surge blow out the HDMI panel in my 285, and they had it back to me in 4 business days after they received it, fixed under warranty.
post #3621 of 3780 Old 05-03-2019, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I may be ready for a new bulb, I have 1854 hours and saw some flickering yesterday. I switched to high for a while and maybe the flickering went away.

I'm going to try the bare bulb replacement option from Amazon for an even hundred. If it's truly Phillips bulb as they claim then I don't see any problem with sourcing it from there.

-Brian
If the bulb is a Philips and it is the same spec, it is the only way to go if you ask me. Saves a bunch!
We all know you can handle swapping the bulb in the holder as you fixed all those shipping issues you had a way back.

Just remember not to touch the bulb itself with your fingers...…. Wear some cotton jewellers gloves or something.

Stephen Hawking.
post #3622 of 3780 Old 05-03-2019, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What hours do you have on it?

There are no filters in these units so it may be worth dropping the door and removing and checking the condition of the bulb before doing anything else.
It may be overheating and causing the fan to ramp up. This can happen before a bulb failure. You DO NOT want it to explode inside the projector.
It may have fluff on the little vents or something.
**Do not** of course touch the bulb glass (as per car headlamps) as it will shorten life/risk explosion of the bulb, due to hot spots where touched.

If the picture is still good and the bulb seems okay, it may just be worth a (careful) quick hoover of the external vents or blowing some air through them just in case something is blocking airways or suchlike.

All of this is of course done at your own risk of course.

Just be methodical and measured.
Dat Nguyen likes this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #3623 of 3780 Old 05-03-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Archibald1,

I have bought bulb only versions and used gloves for install before with SXRD projector. I consider the gloves required so that is good advice for anyone.

Of course, if the bulb comes next week looking new and stamped Phillips I'll post my lux readings from before and after the swap.

-Brian
Archibald1 likes this.
post #3624 of 3780 Old 05-03-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Thank you for reply, i forgot to ask, if it an open item will Sony still fix it? I have the receipt, but just wondering if it still warranty under OPEN BOX? Thanks
post #3625 of 3780 Old 05-03-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for reply, i forgot to ask, if it an open item will Sony still fix it? I have the receipt, but just wondering if it still warranty under OPEN BOX? Thanks
Did it come with a warranty card in the box? ... The one Sony replaced for me was purchased B Stock from AVScience store front. It came with a warranty card. They sort of told me it didn't qualify for warranty but ultimately they honored it.

If BB will exchange it for new that can be fine. Some BB stock these. That may be a lot less hassle. Register the new or old one on Sony's website.

-Brian
Dat Nguyen likes this.
post #3626 of 3780 Old 05-03-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Did it come with a warranty card in the box? ... The one Sony replaced for me was purchased B Stock from AVScience store front. It came with a warranty card. They sort of told me it didn't qualify for warranty but ultimately they honored it.

If BB will exchange it for new that can be fine. Some BB stock these. That may be a lot less hassle. Register the new or old one on Sony's website.

-Brian
It doesn't come with any box or any manual. I pick it up at BB 6 months ago with the projector and remote only, will BB exchange after 6 months? Sony email told me to prove with the purchase date when I send in the unit, I guess I can send in my statement instead of my receipt, because receipt show it is an OPEN BOX ITEM. Thanks
post #3627 of 3780 Old 05-03-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It doesn't come with any box or any manual. I pick it up at BB 6 months ago with the projector and remote only, will BB exchange after 6 months? Sony email told me to prove with the purchase date when I send in the unit, I guess I can send in my statement instead of my receipt, because receipt show it is an OPEN BOX ITEM. Thanks
With your case I would talk to BB first about options at 6 months. I have extended return times but that sounds outside of the extended window. Was it far under MSRP ? ... Because if not maybe that would take it as a return and you could re-buy it at BB or somewhere else.

Sony was pretty nice with me when I wanted service and I was half sure I didn't qualify because I bought B-Stock merchandise. Having the receipt is good and you can print this warranty card because they will want this in the box if you ship the PJ to US Radio.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../W0012395M.pdf

Finally... are we sure there is a problem ?... The fan on mine changes speed from time to time. It may be useful if you have a phone to get a free Sound Level app and see what the recorded loudness is.

The website to register the projector is here...

https://productregistration.sony.com/en-us/register

-Brian
Dat Nguyen likes this.
post #3628 of 3780 Old 05-03-2019, 01:14 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
With your case I would talk to BB first about options at 6 months. I have extended return times but that sounds outside of the extended window. Was it far under MSRP ? ... Because if not maybe that would take it as a return and you could re-buy it at BB or somewhere else.

Sony was pretty nice with me when I wanted service and I was half sure I didn't qualify because I bought B-Stock merchandise. Having the receipt is good and you can print this warranty card because they will want this in the box if you ship the PJ to US Radio.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../W0012395M.pdf

Finally... are we sure there is a problem ?... The fan on mine changes speed from time to time. It may be useful if you have a phone to get a free Sound Level app and see what the recorded loudness is.

The website to register the projector is here...

https://productregistration.sony.com/en-us/register

-Brian
Thank you, you are awesome
post #3629 of 3780 Old 05-05-2019, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I purchased my 285 about 10 months ago. Before the fan noise wasn’t bad at all. Today all of the sudden the fan noise is super loud. My lamp setting is set to low which I’ve read should have less fan noise. I have about 600 hours on the bulb. Any help on how to solve this problem or is it normal to get more lamp noise af 600 hours? Thanks guy.
post #3630 of 3780 Old 05-06-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresme1 View Post
I purchased my 285 about 10 months ago. Before the fan noise wasn’t bad at all. Today all of the sudden the fan noise is super loud. My lamp setting is set to low which I’ve read should have less fan noise. I have about 600 hours on the bulb. Any help on how to solve this problem or is it normal to get more lamp noise af 600 hours? Thanks guy.
Sounds to me like you have an air flow problem. Something may be blocking an airway somewhere in there.
Or it may be a dodgy fan that is no longer responding to the fan speed signal and just running at full pelt because of that.
It could also be a dodgy PSU section or suchlike.
Some things to ponder there anyway.

The standard warranty with new Sony projectors is 3 years, so if you have any issues, document them as much as possible and contact your dealer/Sony direct to get it sorted.

Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 05-06-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
12v trigger , automation , directv and vpl-vw285es , vpl-vw285es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page