Sony VPL-VW285ES Owners Thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3019Likes

post #3631 of 3711 Old 05-06-2019, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It turn out my room was too hot. It was a pretty hot day yesterday where I live. My media room was about 80 degree. I turn on my home AC and let the projector cool down for an hour. I turn it back on and the fan noise was a lot quieter.
Brian Hampton and Archibald1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3711 Old 05-07-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresme1 View Post
It turn out my room was too hot. It was a pretty hot day yesterday where I live. My media room was about 80 degree. I turn on my home AC and let the projector cool down for an hour. I turn it back on and the fan noise was a lot quieter.
Which is of course the most simple reason the fan may be getting louder..... External temperature.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #3633 of 3711 Old 05-07-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Stephens 2 View Post
OK..I will, but understand I do not know much at all on this topic. Here were my readings all done with a light meter at the screen measuring Lumens. I basically walked the light meter across the screen and recorded the highest reading I obtained as I went against the contrast bars.

Original readings were:
1515 hours:
Film 1 - 270 lux
Film 2 - 285 lux
Ref -300 lux
TV - 190 lux

0 hour bulb
Film 1 - 323 lux
Film 2 - 358 lux
Ref - 366 lux
TV - 236 lux

Raw Percentage improvements...as I calculated them..
Film 1 16.4 percent (thinking I made a mistake on the measurements?)
Film 2 20 percent
Reference 18 percent
TV 19.5 percent

As I stated I know nothing much on this topic, but it does give some quantitative numbers for what it is worth. Again it was a fairly dramatic improvement, not subtle. Remember also that I zoomed the projector to fit a 16x9 image onto my 2.3x wide screen as that is how the WOW disk is formatted. Looking forward to hearing what this means to you.. as flawed as the measuring is. I was also wondering whether the "german" curves have any affect on the film 1 and 2 readings. Ref and TV setting are standard with no significant changes made to them.
Not sure the German Curves Should affect Film1 as I assume you setup Film1 for SDR and Film2 for HDR.

I took a few measurements of mine this AM because I'm waiting for hopefully a new bulb this afternoon.

I also have my Pj zoomed into 16:9 mode and only decided to measure Film1 and 2.

I have 1900 (-ish) hours on the bulb and measured
Film 1 242
Film 2 275

Then I put both modes on low lamp .... ( I don't think I could ever use High mode of the bulb without building some type of hush box.)
Film 1 170
Film 2 196

So my measurements were fairly similar to yours which is nice. The 30% increase from low lamp to high is normal to my previous SXRD PJ experiences. (VW60, HW30, HW45). (Certainly makes a case for a hush box.) In my case I measured the center of the screen using a Sony X700 UHD player and the AVS709 test disc using 100 IRE white screen.

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-07-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3634 of 3711 Old 05-07-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb New Bare Bulb Review

Hi,

I purchased a new bare bulb for my 285 from Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It arrived 3 days early and I was very, very happy to see that it looked new and was in fact bearing the Phillips markings exactly like the original bulb.

This AM I reset most things in the Pj and turned the lamp for Film1 and Film2 to low.

Old bulb (1900 hours)
Film 1 170
Film 2 196

New Bulb
Film 1 280
Film 2 365

So it's a 40 to 50% improvement. And the values I measured in Low are higher than what I measured with the old bulb on High.

So ... My review ---- It's awesome. I consider $100 fair to great and love the ease of replacing just the bare bulb.

For anyone who wanders... I would say the bare bulb is about double the difficulty of changing the bulb with housing. To replace the bulb with housing you loosen 3 screws, remove and replace the housing. To replace the bare bulb you loosen 3 screws, remove 3 screws, remove 3 more screws, remove 2 connectors and then put it all back together (with gloves to prevent skin oils from contact with the bulb.)

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-07-2019 at 03:48 PM.
post #3635 of 3711 Old 05-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Sounds to me like you have an air flow problem. Something may be blocking an airway somewhere in there.
Or it may be a dodgy fan that is no longer responding to the fan speed signal and just running at full pelt because of that.
It could also be a dodgy PSU section or suchlike.
Some things to ponder there anyway.

The standard warranty with new Sony projectors is 3 years, so if you have any issues, document them as much as possible and contact your dealer/Sony direct to get it sorted.
Hello Where is the air filter of this projectors? I wanna clean it but i couldnt see it thank you
James Stephens 2 likes this.
post #3636 of 3711 Old 05-07-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post
Hello Where is the air filter of this projectors? I wanna clean it but i couldnt see it thank you
Hi.
There aren't any filters on these 4k units.
They have sealed light paths.
That doesn't mean you can't get stuff sucked into the vents however (although unlikely).
cemo62 likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #3637 of 3711 Old 05-07-2019, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,

It arrived 3 days early and I was very, very happy to see that it looked new and was in fact bearing the Phillips markings exactly like the original bulb.

This AM I reset most things in the Pj and turned the lamp for Film1 and Film2 to low.

Old bulb (1900 hours)
Film 1 170
Film 2 196

New Bulb
Film 1 280
Film 2 365

So it's a 40 to 50% improvement. And the values I measured in Low are higher than what I measured with the old bulb on High.

So ... My review ---- It's awesome. I consider $100 fair to great and love the ease of replacing just the bare bulb.

For anyone who wanders... I would say the bare bulb is about double the difficulty of changing the bulb with housing. The bare bulb did not come with a new air filter. To replace the bulb with housing you loosen 3 screws. To replace the bare bulb you loosen 3 screws, remove 3 screws, remove 3 more screws, remove 2 connectors and then put it all back together (with gloves to prevent skin oils from contact with the bulb.)

-Brian
Thanks for the info! Where did you find instructions for doing the bare bulb replacement?

For $100, I'd be tempted to just replace every 6-12 mos.
post #3638 of 3711 Old 05-07-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
Thanks for the info! Where did you find instructions for doing the bare bulb replacement?

For $100, I'd be tempted to just replace every 6-12 mos.
I didn't find any instructions for replacing the bare bulb. I had purchased bare bulbs for my projector in the past and somewhere along the way I discovered it was important to wear gloves to keep finger oils off of the bulb. Aside from that it's not very challenging. Especially in this case.

After removing the housing, There are 3 screws that remove a cover of the bulb then three corners of the bulb are secured with screws which also get removed. Aside from that 2 wires connect to the bulb with snap on connectors. Those seem a little delicate but not very fragile.

The only useful picture I took is attached... It shows the three clips that hold the bulb in place. You may also be able to make out the three holes that hold the bulb cover on. Those 6 screws is all there is to it apart from being dead sober and generally in the mood to do it well. Edit- Small Phillips head screws are better removed and installed with a number 1 or 0 Phillips screwdriver. A good screwdriver is certainly needed because you don't want to damage the enclosure if you want to re-use it several times over the life of the projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2563890  
SamEdwards, per1971 and Archibald1 like this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-09-2019 at 03:20 AM.
post #3639 of 3711 Old 05-07-2019, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Hi,

Old bulb (1900 hours)
Film 1 170
Film 2 196

New Bulb
Film 1 280
Film 2 365

For anyone who wanders... I would say the bare bulb is about double the difficulty of changing the bulb with housing. To replace the bulb with housing you loosen 3 screws, remove and replace the housing. To replace the bare bulb you loosen 3 screws, remove 3 screws, remove 3 more screws, remove 2 connectors and then put it all back together (with gloves to prevent skin oils from contact with the bulb.)

-Brian
Hey Brian, did you run in High Lamp or Low Lamp for those 1900 hours? I’m coming up on 1100 hours in High Lamp. If you had that improvement in Low Lamp, I’d say it’s time for me to change the bulb. TBH I don’t think my projector is as bright as it was when it was new.
post #3640 of 3711 Old 05-08-2019, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamEdwards View Post
Hey Brian, did you run in High Lamp or Low Lamp for those 1900 hours? I’m coming up on 1100 hours in High Lamp. If you had that improvement in Low Lamp, I’d say it’s time for me to change the bulb. TBH I don’t think my projector is as bright as it was when it was new.
Mostly I used the low lamp setting. The best way to gauge the relative brightness of the old and new bulb and to track the loss of light from a bulb over time is with a LUX meter. They are under $20 (though I guess there are more expensive ones also) and you can take readings very easily. That way you can know what a new bulb measures and know when replacing makes sense.

I use one that looks like this...

https://www.amazon.com/123CityFarmer...11-spons&psc=1

This one (also just under $20) gets great reviews....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DC6X25/ref=psdc_3109913011_t2_B078P1H55V

-Brian
post #3641 of 3711 Old 05-08-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6302 Post(s)
Liked: 6306
Quote:
Hi,

Old bulb (1900 hours)
Film 1 170
Film 2 196

New Bulb
Film 1 280
Film 2 365

-Brian
Good to know, and $100 bucks is way cheap considering what a Sony bulb is......
Brian Hampton and Archibald1 like this.
post #3642 of 3711 Old 05-09-2019, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm really happy with the new bulb in my 285ES... I want to re-calibrate just because I know I have only default settings for the moment but it looks good and I figure I should wait till it has at least 100 hours before calibration.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #3643 of 3711 Old 05-09-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Good to know, and $100 bucks is way cheap considering what a Sony bulb is......
So I'm a bit confused. When your bulb is at the end of its lifespan, can you simply plug a new bulb in the existing assembly, or does Sony only sell the entire assembly as their replacement?

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Rogue Pharaoh; Rogue Triton II; Benchmark DAC3 B
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Music Hall mmf-9.3 Turntable; Goldring Eroica LX MCC
Speakers: Harbeth Super HL5plus (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
post #3644 of 3711 Old 05-09-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post
So I'm a bit confused. When your bulb is at the end of its lifespan, can you simply plug a new bulb in the existing assembly, or does Sony only sell the entire assembly as their replacement?
Sony sells the entire assembly. Mostly to mitigate on returns or accidents by people trying to swap the bulb between housings I would say.

Using an entire housing, it really is a case of unplug and replug.

However, if you can source (I think @Brian Hampton gave a link) a genuine Philips bulb (used OEM by Sony), then swapping the bulb over (taking all handling precautions of course) is a MUCH more cost effective way of getting your projector back to new spec.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #3645 of 3711 Old 05-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey folks, new to this, just got us a new VW285ES and shopping around for a new source. Really wanted an Oppo but concerned about long term support and upgrades. Leaning towards the Panasonic UB820. Anything I should be aware of? Our Anthem receiver is pass through for video so all the upscaling would be done by the source. Feel free to recommend a different player. Will be curious to see how our older Stewart Greyhawk will do with this projector.

Video: Dedicated Light Controlled Room | Sony VPL-VW285ES| 110" Stewart Grayhawk
Audio: Sound Controlled Room | Anthem MRX720 | Rotel 1080 | LR/Martin Logan Ascent i, Center - in progress, Rear - in progress, Sub - in progress
Sources: in progress
post #3646 of 3711 Old 05-09-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 2 sources I use with mine are

ATV4K
Sony X700 UHD/Blu Ray/DVD/CD/SACD/Media player.

The ATV4K is the only one I use 99.99% of the time. The disc player is if someone wants to watch something I forgot to put on my Plex/Infuse server or if someone wants to watch something 3D. (Last time that happened was for The Meg in 3D.)

An Oppo would be nice for me as it does scaling for my 2.35:1 screen however I almost never ever use my disc player so I'm kind of glad it was a $150 player instead of an $800+ player.

I haven't had the Oppo or Panasonic player so I can't say much about them. The Panasonic does some tone mapping that I understand is a great feature for use with the 285. I"m sure a lot of information about the Panasonic player is in this thread and elsewhere on the forum.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-10-2019 at 02:05 AM.
post #3647 of 3711 Old 05-10-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgiver View Post
Hey folks, new to this, just got us a new VW285ES and shopping around for a new source. Really wanted an Oppo but concerned about long term support and upgrades. Leaning towards the Panasonic UB820. Anything I should be aware of? Our Anthem receiver is pass through for video so all the upscaling would be done by the source. Feel free to recommend a different player. Will be curious to see how our older Stewart Greyhawk will do with this projector.
UB820 and this projector is a great match.

You can't go far wrong with that combo, unless you want to spend a LOT more money.

Stephen Hawking.
post #3648 of 3711 Old 05-10-2019, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I didn't find any instructions for replacing the bare bulb. I had purchased bare bulbs for my projector in the past and somewhere along the way I discovered it was important to wear gloves to keep finger oils off of the bulb. Aside from that it's not very challenging. Especially in this case.

After removing the housing, There are 3 screws that remove a cover of the bulb then three corners of the bulb are secured with screws which also get removed. Aside from that 2 wires connect to the bulb with snap on connectors. Those seem a little delicate but not very fragile.

The only useful picture I took is attached... It shows the three clips that hold the bulb in place. You may also be able to make out the three holes that hold the bulb cover on. Those 6 screws is all there is to it apart from being dead sober and generally in the mood to do it well. Edit- Small Phillips head screws are better removed and installed with a number 1 or 0 Phillips screwdriver. A good screwdriver is certainly needed because you don't want to damage the enclosure if you want to re-use it several times over the life of the projector.
Hey Brian, got my Bulb this evening and installed. Looks super-bright again. I’ll know more after sundown. Thanks for the tip! I didn’t do measurements. If you can’t appreciate the difference it was too early. Now to dispose of the mercury.
post #3649 of 3711 Old 05-11-2019, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamEdwards View Post
Hey Brian, got my Bulb this evening and installed. Looks super-bright again. I’ll know more after sundown. Thanks for the tip! I didn’t do measurements. If you can’t appreciate the difference it was too early. Now to dispose of the mercury.
Congratulations!

post #3650 of 3711 Old 05-12-2019, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Mostly I used the low lamp setting. The best way to gauge the relative brightness of the old and new bulb and to track the loss of light from a bulb over time is with a LUX meter. They are under $20 (though I guess there are more expensive ones also) and you can take readings very easily. That way you can know what a new bulb measures and know when replacing makes sense.

I use one that looks like this...

https://www.amazon.com/123CityFarmer...11-spons&psc=1

This one (also just under $20) gets great reviews....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DC6X25/ref=psdc_3109913011_t2_B078P1H55V

-Brian
Thanks -- what image / source do you put on screen to do the measurements?
post #3651 of 3711 Old 05-12-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
Thanks -- what image / source do you put on screen to do the measurements?
I still have a disc player hooked up so in this case I put the AVS709 test pattern disc (that I Dl-ed from here many years ago) and played a 100IRE white screen.

Any test pattern disc could be used just so long as you use the same one each time.

-Brian
post #3652 of 3711 Old 05-15-2019, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have my vpl-vw285es hooked up to my anthem 1120 receiver. I decided to put in a fiber cable (its about 33footish) cable and when my son tried hooking up his laptop it was having issues syncing and couldn't A direct plug into the projector worked fine. Different ports on the anthen did the same thing. I have also noticed that when I was watching say the harry potter 4k movies and then comparing them to the 1080p ones, there was def more detail, but the colors on the 1080p was much brighter; just looked better. (I can prob adjust that but to me it has never had a dead on easy sync. So I bought a SIIG monitor info checker from amazon. and plugged it into the port two of the soy. I got [email protected] and HDCP2.2 tuv 4:2:0 36bit.
THen I tried a six foot no frills standard hdmi. by plugging the 6 foot calbe in input 2 and then used an hdmi coupler to put the siig and cable together. Reading was the same. I then tried it on 4 fiber cables all about 30 feet and one standard type. They all came in at [email protected] hz HDCP1.4 tuv 4:2:0 36bit. All four hdmi fiber calbes varied in cost up to $200
Img2971 is the short 6 foot cable; the other two are the fiber ones.
Any suggestions or help? I'm not sure what cause the non sync of pissy sync/not wanting to, but a direct connection seems to work
Anthem states everything they have is 2.2hdcp and up to date highest specs.
Any one has ideas, thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	514.5 KB
ID:	2567392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2971.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	2567394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2972.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	625.8 KB
ID:	2567396  
post #3653 of 3711 Old 05-18-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Congratulations!

This is a great find. The 295 uses the same bulb.
post #3654 of 3711 Old 05-20-2019, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Image issues

A few days ago a line of coloured dots appeared just at the bottom

Do you think it could be related to panel issues?

post #3655 of 3711 Old 05-20-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
A few days ago a line of coloured dots appeared just at the bottom

Do you think it could be related to panel issues?
It might be a complete ball ache but have you tried a full reset? Also does that happen with every source?

Stephen Hawking.
post #3656 of 3711 Old 05-20-2019, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone having issues with Direcvtv 4k? After most recent FM update the 4k Genie will not output 4k. Same cable outputs 4k with Xfinity box, Roku, and Blu ray.
post #3657 of 3711 Old 05-20-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Aaron Rosenberg View Post
Anyone having issues with Direcvtv 4k? After most recent FM update the 4k Genie will not output 4k. Same cable outputs 4k with Xfinity box, Roku, and Blu ray.

Did you go into resolution settings and make sure the 4K box is checked?
post #3658 of 3711 Old 05-20-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
Did you go into resolution settings and make sure the 4K box is checked?
Always. It just won't output 4k.
post #3659 of 3711 Old 05-21-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Aaron Rosenberg View Post
Always. It just won't output 4k.
Have you made sure your HDMI ports are set to Enhanced Format?

Can you get a 4K signal from any other sources?

Have you tried a full reset on the troublesome source?

Stephen Hawking.
post #3660 of 3711 Old 05-26-2019, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Not sure the German Curves Should affect Film1 as I assume you setup Film1 for SDR and Film2 for HDR.

I took a few measurements of mine this AM because I'm waiting for hopefully a new bulb this afternoon.

I also have my Pj zoomed into 16:9 mode and only decided to measure Film1 and 2.

I have 1900 (-ish) hours on the bulb and measured
Film 1 242
Film 2 275

Then I put both modes on low lamp .... ( I don't think I could ever use High mode of the bulb without building some type of hush box.)
Film 1 170
Film 2 196

So my measurements were fairly similar to yours which is nice. The 30% increase from low lamp to high is normal to my previous SXRD PJ experiences. (VW60, HW30, HW45). (Certainly makes a case for a hush box.) In my case I measured the center of the screen using a Sony X700 UHD player and the AVS709 test disc using 100 IRE white screen.

-Brian
Thanks Brian - placed my order. I thought there was soldering required on bulb changes. Looks straight forward. Very helpful - appreciate you sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
12v trigger , automation , directv and vpl-vw285es , vpl-vw285es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page