Sony VPL-VW285ES Owners Thread - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3020Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3691 of 3714 Old 06-05-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 2,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhdnut View Post
Angle-wise, it is about where we would sit in a theater, but 10 ft still looks good without visible pixels. What distance would you sit?

That sounds about right/close. I have a 120" screen and I sit 10' from the screen. There's several on-line viewing seating charts and from what I see: a 120" screen appears optimal for 4K viewing at 10'.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Wryker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3692 of 3714 Old 06-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
2Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sony vpl-vw285es project 2.35:1 movies

When playing 2.35:1 movies, why is the Sony vpl-vw285es still projects 16:9 aspect ratio with black bars on the side? I have a 2.35:1 projector screen.
2Charlie is offline  
post #3693 of 3714 Old 06-07-2019, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 8,913
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Hi,

For simplicity sake I assume your aspect ratio setting is set to Normal (Otherwise you may have overscan)

With the AR setting set to Normal the projector is a native 16:9 shape. I also have a 2.35:1 screen so I zoom out a bit to fill it for movies in that shape. The 285ES does not have lens memories but it does have motorized zoom functions so you could use the remote to zoom out to fill your screen. When watching 16:9 content you will want to re-zoom for that.

In my case I leave the PJ setup to 16:9 and draw some curtains on the sides and if I watch a 2.35:1 movie I zoom before and after.

-Brian
Brian Hampton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3694 of 3714 Old 06-07-2019, 07:29 AM
Member
 
MGBPUFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Charlie View Post
When playing 2.35:1 movies, why is the Sony vpl-vw285es still projects 16:9 aspect ratio with black bars on the side? I have a 2.35:1 projector screen.
It is due to the native true 4k chips that Sony uses (17:9 vs 16:9). Just use a little zoom.
Archibald1 likes this.
MGBPUFF is offline  
post #3695 of 3714 Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,984
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBPUFF View Post
It is due to the native true 4k chips that Sony uses (17:9 vs 16:9). Just use a little zoom.
Zoom to the point shown by the red line on this picture of the built in pattern to fill a 16:9 screen:

MGBPUFF likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #3696 of 3714 Old 06-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
2Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Zooming is what I have been doing. The issue is that I still see some light above and below the 2.35:1 screen. So when watching a 2.35:1 movie and I zoomed in, the main image is on the screen but there are still some light showing on the ceiling and floor since the project still projects a 16:9 aspect ration, in this case black bars above and below the screen.
2Charlie is offline  
post #3697 of 3714 Old 06-07-2019, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Charlie View Post
Zooming is what I have been doing. The issue is that I still see some light above and below the 2.35:1 screen. So when watching a 2.35:1 movie and I zoomed in, the main image is on the screen but there are still some light showing on the ceiling and floor since the project still projects a 16:9 aspect ration, in this case black bars above and below the screen.
I ended up painting the wall behind the screen flat black and that pretty much solved the problem when you zoom in to fill the 2.35:1 screen. Look at post 2773, around page 93 and you can see what I did.

Sony 285es 4k , 16'6" from the screen. 142" Silver Ticket 2.35:1 A/T Screen. Yamaha RX-A3050, 7 Channel Outlaw Amp, 7.2.4 speaker layout. Triad Bronze L/C/R , Triad Silver Omni SE Surround(Sides), Triad Bipole Gold OnWall Rear, 4 Ceiling Silver Ticket Speakers. SVS PB2000 Subwoofer and a PB1000, Oppo. 203 player, XBox One X, Roku 4, Logitech remote, Alexa Controlled

Last edited by James Stephens 2; 06-07-2019 at 01:37 PM.
James Stephens 2 is offline  
post #3698 of 3714 Old 06-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Charlie View Post
When playing 2.35:1 movies, why is the Sony vpl-vw285es still projects 16:9 aspect ratio with black bars on the side? I have a 2.35:1 projector screen.
Think this was answered but, just in case. For a 2.35:1 screen zoom in until the black bars are gone on the right and left and then center the screen for the top and bottom. You will get a small bit of the picture going over the right and left to get the top and bottom just right. Not more than an inch or so because the black felt border on mine is enough. The top and bottom black bars expand off of the screen. This bugged me because it was not black enough and I was getting too much light coming off of my white walls. I painted the wall flat back and that really solved the problem for me(previous post). Still a bit of light, but mostly not visible at all. Happy with the result.

You also need to check the ratio of the movie on the dvd. Some movies are framed for 16x9 for TV's, although most are not. Some movies, I hate this part, use BOTH 16x9 and 2.35:1 in the same movie! Aquaman has this issue and as I recall Ghost Buster's II was another one. Odd. There was one other recent movie I got that was all 16x9 that was disappointing. All the others are fine that I have seen that are recent movies.

Sony 285es 4k , 16'6" from the screen. 142" Silver Ticket 2.35:1 A/T Screen. Yamaha RX-A3050, 7 Channel Outlaw Amp, 7.2.4 speaker layout. Triad Bronze L/C/R , Triad Silver Omni SE Surround(Sides), Triad Bipole Gold OnWall Rear, 4 Ceiling Silver Ticket Speakers. SVS PB2000 Subwoofer and a PB1000, Oppo. 203 player, XBox One X, Roku 4, Logitech remote, Alexa Controlled
James Stephens 2 is offline  
post #3699 of 3714 Old 06-10-2019, 04:41 AM
Senior Member
 
2Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So another word this Sony vpl-vw285es is NOT capable of projecting a 2.35:1 aspect ration then, correct? What version/models of the Sony projector lineup is capable of projecting 2.35:1 aspect ratio? Not that I want to purchase but I just like to know. Besides panting the walls/ceiling black, are there any other accessories I can purchase to convert it to 2.35:1 aspect ratio?

Thanks!
2Charlie is offline  
post #3700 of 3714 Old 06-10-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,929
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Charlie View Post
So another word this Sony vpl-vw285es is NOT capable of projecting a 2.35:1 aspect ration then, correct? What version/models of the Sony projector lineup is capable of projecting 2.35:1 aspect ratio? Not that I want to purchase but I just like to know. Besides panting the walls/ceiling black, are there any other accessories I can purchase to convert it to 2.35:1 aspect ratio?

Thanks!
You can buy an anamorphic lens, but most of us just cover the screen wall with black velvet and overshoot (not paint as even black paint is too bright). There are no projectors that can project this aspect ratio, they are all mostly 16:9. Anamorphic lenses are extremely expensive, unless buying used, they cost more than your projector cost.

If you do not use an a-lens, then it is easiest to use a projector with lens memory, or use a scaling solution like through your HTPC or Lumagen.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #3701 of 3714 Old 06-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Senior Member
 
2Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks for all the responses!
2Charlie is offline  
post #3702 of 3714 Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
shs1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Sierra Nevada
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by T8OO View Post
I ordered the Economy one thinking it was the Philips one. I'm going to try and return it.

It states on the packaging...

Durability based on 4000-6000 hours:
Philips 100%
Premium 83%
Economy 37%

Luminosity:
Philips 100%
Premium 88%
Economy 67%

Lumens:
Philips Lumens 5000hrs-6000hrs
Premium Lumens 2500hrs-5000hrs
Economy Lumens 0hrs-2500hrs

Not worth the cost compared to the Philips.
I also ordered what I thought was the Phillips bulb from Amazon and it just arrived in a FedEx bag. Inside was the bulb in a box with an open lid as obviously the foam within the box was not the right one for this bulb. The box listed it as the economy bulb and the number on the bulb itself matches the number on the package. There was a nice graph on the box that illustrates some of the numbers above. While $61 is an amazing price for a replacement bulb, it frankly does not seem worth it and the packaging does not inspire confidence in the whole deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8312.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	2578320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8310 (1).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	2578322  

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
shs1234 is offline  
post #3703 of 3714 Old 06-10-2019, 01:03 PM
Member
 
T8OO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
I also ordered what I thought was the Phillips bulb from Amazon and it just arrived in a FedEx bag. Inside was the bulb in a box with an open lid as obviously the foam within the box was not the right one for this bulb. The box listed it as the economy bulb and the number on the bulb itself matches the number on the package. There was a nice graph on the box that illustrates some of the numbers above. While $61 is an amazing price for a replacement bulb, it frankly does not seem worth it and the packaging does not inspire confidence in the whole deal.
It feels like the box says, every other bulb you could buy is better than this one.
shs1234 likes this.
T8OO is offline  
post #3704 of 3714 Old 06-10-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by T8OO View Post
It feels like the box says, every other bulb you could buy is better than this one.
The Graph and other information may not be true. While the Phillips bulb is the same as the original the other bulbs could be very good. Usually different manufactures try to make the bulbs to similar specifications. The only way to fine out is to test it out. I have used both original bulbs and cheaper versions on other projectors. You have a 120 day warranty and the Phillips bulbs are still not available so it may be worth a try. There are not that many bulb manufactures and they usually have strict standards of manufacture. The dealer on Amazon where you got the blub is very large and the buy in bulk. They just printed their own box and put a label on it.

Last edited by rwestley; 06-10-2019 at 01:27 PM.
rwestley is offline  
post #3705 of 3714 Old 06-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
shs1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Sierra Nevada
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
The Graph and other information may not be true. While the Phillips bulb is the same as the original the other bulbs could be very good. Usually different manufactures try to make the bulbs to similar specifications. The only way to fine out is to test it out. I have used both original bulbs and cheaper versions on other projectors. You have a 120 day warranty and the Phillips bulbs are still not available so it may be worth a try. There are not that many bulb manufactures and they usually have strict standards of manufacture. The dealer on Amazon where you got the blub is very large and the buy in bulk. They just printed their own box and put a label on it.
I'll hang on to mine for a bit and hopefully someone will test theirs. I was all prepared to buy some white gloves to make sure that I didn't get fingerprints on the bulb when putting it in the housing, but given the nature of the packaging – the bare bulb was shoved in the box with the open lid with two pieces of random styrofoam and no other packaging or wrap, I am pretty sure it has been handled by others. Perhaps a good alcohol wipe will remove whatever fingerprints might be on the bulb. I am hopeful that rwestley is right!

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
shs1234 is offline  
post #3706 of 3714 Old 06-10-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,984
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
I'll hang on to mine for a bit and hopefully someone will test theirs. I was all prepared to buy some white gloves to make sure that I didn't get fingerprints on the bulb when putting it in the housing, but given the nature of the packaging – the bare bulb was shoved in the box with the open lid with two pieces of random styrofoam and no other packaging or wrap, I am pretty sure it has been handled by others. Perhaps a good alcohol wipe will remove whatever fingerprints might be on the bulb. I am hopeful that rwestley is right!
Alcohol wipes would be a good idea. Just do a thorough job. Any oil from contact with skin, however briefly, will cause a hotspot over time and reduce the life and reliability of the bulb, with explosion as the worst case scenario.
shs1234 likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #3707 of 3714 Old 06-10-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
I'll hang on to mine for a bit and hopefully someone will test theirs. I was all prepared to buy some white gloves to make sure that I didn't get fingerprints on the bulb when putting it in the housing, but given the nature of the packaging – the bare bulb was shoved in the box with the open lid with two pieces of random styrofoam and no other packaging or wrap, I am pretty sure it has been handled by others. Perhaps a good alcohol wipe will remove whatever fingerprints might be on the bulb. I am hopeful that rwestley is right!
Don't worry about the box. MI the seller buys in bulk and just puts the bulbs in the boxes of their choice. I got one of the Phillips bulbs and it was packed the same with generic styrofoam. I doubt if there there are fingerprints on it. My guess is that they grabbed the bulb from their bulk package and put it in the box you received. I really don't believe the information about economy bulbs. on package. I think that for the price they are worth a try. If you have a light meter it would be interesting to compare them.

Last edited by rwestley; 06-10-2019 at 04:24 PM.
rwestley is offline  
post #3708 of 3714 Old 06-10-2019, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
shs1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Sierra Nevada
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Don't worry about the box. MI the seller buys in bulk and just puts the bulbs in the boxes of their choice. I got one of the Phillips bulbs and it was packed the same with generic styrofoam. I doubt if there there are fingerprints on it. My guess is that they grabbed the bulb from their bulk package and put it in the box you received. I really don't believe the information about economy bulbs. on package. I think that for the price they are worth a try. If you have a light meter it would be interesting to compare them.
I have had several light meters from way back when projectors needed lots of calibration and tweaking, but haven't used it in years. I'll have to see if I can find one that still works!

I wasn't planning on changing the bulb right away, but I always like to have a spare on hand. I recently went through my garage an found used 8-10 SONY bulbs from past bulb changes, that I was saving in case my current bulb went poof and I didn't have a new one on hand. Of course they were from several different SONY projectors so keeping the old ones was silly. Recycled them all now. Fortunately I have only had one bulb fail without warning over the years, they mostly get dim and then I switch to high lamp for a while and then replace them. Hoping to get a couple of thousand hours out of my 385 bulb, but I guess monitoring the brightness of the bulb and its decline is one more reason to find a working light meter and note my current brightness on an IRE 100 window.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
shs1234 is offline  
post #3709 of 3714 Old 06-10-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 232
If anyone is looking for really inexpensive bulbs I came across this. The 260 is the same projector as the 285 around the world. Free shipping on these bulbs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...hText=LMP-H220

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ZR-O...8-622572e1a933

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...8-622572e1a933

There is even a link to the original lamp for an amazing price with free shipping from China.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...8-8e0c1887b34c

Last edited by rwestley; 06-11-2019 at 04:19 AM.
rwestley is offline  
post #3710 of 3714 Old 06-14-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 23,813
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6308 Post(s)
Liked: 6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post

I wasn't planning on changing the bulb right away, but I always like to have a spare on hand.
You have to try it out, what if it is defective right from the start? Using it in 3-6 months to find out it is bad is not going to do much for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
I also ordered what I thought was the Phillips bulb from Amazon and it just arrived in a FedEx bag. Inside was the bulb in a box with an open lid as obviously the foam within the box was not the right one for this bulb. The box listed it as the economy bulb and the number on the bulb itself matches the number on the package. There was a nice graph on the box that illustrates some of the numbers above. While $61 is an amazing price for a replacement bulb, it frankly does not seem worth it and the packaging does not inspire confidence in the whole deal.
Try it out, if you do not like it send it back.......
rwestley likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #3711 of 3714 Old 06-15-2019, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 232
If one is willing to wait a few weeks the best deal seems to be this one.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ZR-O...8-622572e1a933

It includes the bulb, and housing for less than Amazon price of the bulb alone and free
shipping from china It also states original bulb. The 260 is the same as the 285 around the world and the housing looks exactly the same.
rwestley is offline  
post #3712 of 3714 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
Newbie
 
bernito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a Panasonic PT-AE3000U new about nine years ago and need another new lamp. I can get another new Panasonic OEM lamp for $169, but am considering a Sony B-stock VW285 for approximately 12 times the OEM lamp cost.

Here is my setup:

1. 100" diagonal Stewart Luxus Model A Tab Tension with Firehawk G3 Screen Material.
2. I watch in a dedicated media room with blackout shades and no lights on.
3. I use the projector nearly daily (which is why a burn through lamps regularly) and watch an equal mix of sports and movies.
4. I do a little gaming through the projector with my teenage daughter, but gaming performance in relatively unimportant.
5. 3D content playback capability is a nice to have, not a need to have.
6. My projector is ceiling mounted, approximately 17' 6" from the screen.

I am interested in to know people's opinion regarding replacing the bulb one more time versus buying the B stock Sony? I have an AppleTV 4K, but am not certain if I will notice the increased resolution given my 100" screen size and 16' 6" foot viewing distance.
bernito is offline  
post #3713 of 3714 Old Today, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernito View Post
I purchased a Panasonic PT-AE3000U new about nine years ago and need another new lamp. I can get another new Panasonic OEM lamp for $169, but am considering a Sony B-stock VW285 for approximately 12 times the OEM lamp cost.

Here is my setup:

1. 100" diagonal Stewart Luxus Model A Tab Tension with Firehawk G3 Screen Material.
2. I watch in a dedicated media room with blackout shades and no lights on.
3. I use the projector nearly daily (which is why a burn through lamps regularly) and watch an equal mix of sports and movies.
4. I do a little gaming through the projector with my teenage daughter, but gaming performance in relatively unimportant.
5. 3D content playback capability is a nice to have, not a need to have.
6. My projector is ceiling mounted, approximately 17' 6" from the screen.

I am interested in to know people's opinion regarding replacing the bulb one more time versus buying the B stock Sony? I have an AppleTV 4K, but am not certain if I will notice the increased resolution given my 100" screen size and 16' 6" foot viewing distance.
There is a big difference between your old Panasonic and the 285. The B stock unit seems like a good option and the cost of lamp replacement is quite low. It is a 4k unit and with the proper tweaks and with a 100" screen you should be fine in a dedicated media room even using the low lamp setting.
Archibald1 likes this.
rwestley is offline  
post #3714 of 3714 Old Today, 07:38 PM
Newbie
 
bob u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3D Settings

Does anyone have good 3D settings that I could start with?

Thanks
bob u is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
12v trigger , automation , directv and vpl-vw285es , vpl-vw285es

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off