Sony VPL-VW285ES Owners Thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3025Likes

post #3721 of 3730 Old 06-19-2019, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Having been watching this week the UHD version of Season 1 of Stranger Things. So much better then the streaming version of the show. Using the German curves really improves the dark scenes - in a big way. So glad I installed them. My question is whether there is a trick to using the curves on Netflix streaming or will they only work on physical discs. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3730 Old 06-19-2019, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Halucha View Post
Having been watching this week the UHD version of Season 1 of Stranger Things. So much better then the streaming version of the show. Using the German curves really improves the dark scenes - in a big way. So glad I installed them. My question is whether there is a trick to using the curves on Netflix streaming or will they only work on physical discs. Thanks!
There is no trick. They work the same way for any HDR source.
post #3723 of 3730 Old 06-19-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernito View Post
I purchased a Panasonic PT-AE3000U new about nine years ago and need another new lamp. I can get another new Panasonic OEM lamp for $169, but am considering a Sony B-stock VW285 for approximately 12 times the OEM lamp cost.

Here is my setup:

1. 100" diagonal Stewart Luxus Model A Tab Tension with Firehawk G3 Screen Material.
2. I watch in a dedicated media room with blackout shades and no lights on.
3. I use the projector nearly daily (which is why a burn through lamps regularly) and watch an equal mix of sports and movies.
4. I do a little gaming through the projector with my teenage daughter, but gaming performance in relatively unimportant.
5. 3D content playback capability is a nice to have, not a need to have.
6. My projector is ceiling mounted, approximately 17' 6" from the screen.

I am interested in to know people's opinion regarding replacing the bulb one more time versus buying the B stock Sony? I have an AppleTV 4K, but am not certain if I will notice the increased resolution given my 100" screen size and 16' 6" foot viewing distance.
You are correct, now is the time to update Depending on the price of the B stock unit, that would dictate making the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
There is a big difference between your old Panasonic and the 285. The B stock unit seems like a good option and the cost of lamp replacement is quite low. It is a 4k unit and with the proper tweaks and with a 100" screen you should be fine in a dedicated media room even using the low lamp setting.
Yep, he would notice a nice jump in overall performance.
Archibald1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3724 of 3730 Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
There is no trick. They work the same way for any HDR source.

This. I use the German curves as the base for both my HDR settings. Cinema 1 for disc and streaming HDR, and Cinema 2 with the same settings, but with the red turned down for HLG DirecTV.
post #3725 of 3730 Old 06-24-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You are correct, now is the time to update Depending on the price of the B stock unit, that would dictate making the move.

Yep, he would notice a nice jump in overall performance.
Where do we get B-stock units of the VPLVW285ES?
post #3726 of 3730 Old 06-25-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftonite View Post
Where do we get B-stock units of the VPLVW285ES?
It is against the rules to post where to buy projectors. I would suggest you read some of the posts by dealers and call them to see if they have B stock available.

If anyone is looking for a really low cost lamp for this projector or for the 385 I just found this link with free shipping from China. My friend got one and it looks like the original.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...3da24c4d0o2n8Q

There are instructions on how to install in a few pages back on this thread. Very easy.
post #3727 of 3730 Old 07-05-2019, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
This. I use the German curves as the base for both my HDR settings. Cinema 1 for disc and streaming HDR, and Cinema 2 with the same settings, but with the red turned down for HLG DirecTV.
Amazing using the German curves with HDR content with Stranger Things 3 over Apple TV 4K. Yesterday, I finally completed my overhaul of my home theatre audio system with the Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X. Replaced an entry level Paradigm sub that I have had since my first home theatre install in 2000. Just in time for a couple of weeks of summer vacation...and is too hot to go outside so I do not have to even feel the slightest guilt staying home. Good summer everyone!
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #3728 of 3730 Old 07-05-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Halucha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
Amazing using the German curves with HDR content with Stranger Things 3 over Apple TV 4K. Yesterday, I finally completed my overhaul of my home theatre audio system with the Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X. Replaced an entry level Paradigm sub that I have had since my first home theatre install in 2000. Just in time for a couple of weeks of summer vacation...and is too hot to go outside so I do not have to even feel the slightest guilt staying home. Good summer everyone!
Yessiree. For some reason, the HDR didn’t lock in at first, but after a couple of minutes I rebooted my ATV and it was gorgeous!

I can also identify with the satisfaction of an upgrade before time off. Last year, I upgraded my Epson pixel-shifter to a Sony true 4K projector, added a 4K DirecTV box (the second day of World Cup), and added .2 Atmos in-ceiling two weeks before the first of two knee replacements. I needed full capacity for my recoveries.

Last edited by roland6465; 07-05-2019 at 05:58 PM.
post #3729 of 3730 Old Today, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello
Could somebody recommend a good and affordable projector screen (106”) that will complement this projector? Thank you.
post #3730 of 3730 Old Today, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuroman11 View Post
Hello
Could somebody recommend a good and affordable projector screen (106”) that will complement this projector? Thank you.
I suggest the Silver Ticket screen through Amazon. Just rated the 'best' affordable screen (I have the 120" and love it).

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
12v trigger , automation , directv and vpl-vw285es , vpl-vw285es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page