Sony VPL-VW285ES Owners Thread - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3031Likes

post #3751 of 3766 Old 07-30-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I

If anyone is looking for a really low cost lamp for this projector or for the 385 I just found this link with free shipping from China. My friend got one and it looks like the original.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...3da24c4d0o2n8Q

There are instructions on how to install in a few pages back on this thread. Very easy.
Thanks for the tip. Just happened to be in the market for a lamp for my ES300. Local lists at usd 400 more than aliexpress. For the difference had to take a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3766 Old 07-30-2019, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
158" diagonal 2.35 needs 17'-7" of throw.
Hmm... Yeah I must not be using the calculator on projectorcentral right, because I got that I could have 17' throw and still not max out zoom.

Projector could probably go back those extra 7"..but if the 285 is 19.5" from front to back that does start to make things tight behind the projector

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #3753 of 3766 Old 07-30-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Thanks for the tip. Just happened to be in the market for a lamp for my ES300. Local lists at usd 400 more than aliexpress. For the difference had to take a chance.
I did the same thing it it seems to be fine. If you want to spend a few dollars more order the original Phillips lamp. Both are really easy to install. Just be careful not to touch the bulb and with removing the connectors to the pins on the lamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3754 of 3766 Old 07-30-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I did the same thing it it seems to be fine. If you want to spend a few dollars more order the original Phillips lamp. Both are really easy to install. Just be careful not to touch the bulb and with removing the connectors to the pins on the lamp.
I was lucky, mine comes with the housing.
rwestley likes this.
post #3755 of 3766 Old 07-30-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12025 Post(s)
Liked: 9546
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedvadude View Post
Hmm... Yeah I must not be using the calculator on projectorcentral right, because I got that I could have 17' throw and still not max out zoom.

Projector could probably go back those extra 7"..but if the 285 is 19.5" from front to back that does start to make things tight behind the projector

If you use full 4096 panel width, when doing 2.35 movies, 17' works. You will lose a little bit of image height, since it will get cut off.
post #3756 of 3766 Old 07-30-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
If you use full 4096 panel width, when doing 2.35 movies, 17' works. You will lose a little bit of image height, since it will get cut off.
Thanks! Do you have any idea if (or how much) HDR would potentially suffer?

Also, curious how much of a hassle manually using the remote buttons to zoom back out to 16:9 image really is
post #3757 of 3766 Old 07-30-2019, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Also, curious how much of a hassle manually using the remote buttons to zoom back out to 16:9 image really is
I would not even go as big as 135”. It’s not that bright on my 120”..
post #3758 of 3766 Old 07-31-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamEdwards View Post
I would not even go as big as 135”. It’s not that bright on my 120”..
I went ahead and grabbed the 135"....will see how it goes... Couldn't see myself doing 120 in my room would seem too small to me...

post #3759 of 3766 Old 08-05-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6728 Post(s)
Liked: 7862
Quote:

It's one button easy after getting it set up initially. Piece of cake.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #3760 of 3766 Old 08-09-2019, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I was interested to see recent posts on size and the trade offs of going big versus maintaining brightness. My screen is a 92 inch Stewart Screen (Fire-hawk) which I have had for about 10years now. Have thought about increasing screen size but the investment in the screen plus the complexity of moving the speakers (wall mounted) have prevented me from doing this. Plus have always found it suits the room and me.
post #3761 of 3766 Old 08-09-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Halucha View Post
I was interested to see recent posts on size and the trade offs of going big versus maintaining brightness. My screen is a 92 inch Stewart Screen (Fire-hawk) which I have had for about 10years now. Have thought about increasing screen size but the investment in the screen plus the complexity of moving the speakers (wall mounted) have prevented me from doing this. Plus have always found it suits the room and me.
I have a 106 inch GreyHawk RS. The screen was already there when I boight the house. Last time I took my meter to profile my display I got a max of 108 nits on high lamp. I actually quite hate my actual combo. Lots of sparkles and hotspotting. Can't stand it. Even worse, that projector is lacking the horse power for HDR brightness while having poor blacks. That being said, it still looks good enough when watching movies. If I could, I would go for a matte white reference screen (and maybe I should have chosen another projector too).
post #3762 of 3766 Old 08-18-2019, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can anybody confirm that the German gamma curves can be installed on a 365es? I've connected ImageDirector3 to the projector, but I cannot pull-down the gamma table drop-box. I'm afraid the software won't work with my older model

If this is the case, I may be forced to follow entropy02's instructions to setup MadVR and additional calibration tools. The only problem is, it seems that is way more complicated than I'm able to figure out on my own. Entropy02 is there any chance I could ask you to help me and others here with more detailed step by step instructions? I would appreciate it if you could, if that is too much to ask, I completely understand. I have a GTX 1070 currently, I hope that would be adequate. I'd love to hear more about your setup (computer hardware and software). Thanks for letting us all know there are possibly better options than changing the gamma curves.

I just bought the Sony X800 and while it gives a decent picture, I can tell I'm losing a lot in the shadow detail for sure currently using the Sound & Vision calibration settings. I'm planning on swapping it out for the Panasonic Ub820, but I would like to improve the BT2020 color space on more than just discs.
post #3763 of 3766 Old 08-18-2019, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Ive got the german curves on my 365es. I was able to get the Director app to connect over the network. Its been a while since I did it but I remember following some youtube video and it worked.

I have not done an ISF calibration so I assume we would need to make more adjustments. The color blooming is a bit high so there is some loss of detail but the picture is definitely brighter. Ill see if I can dig up the software and instructions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3764 of 3766 Old 08-18-2019, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxP0w3r View Post
Can anybody confirm that the German gamma curves can be installed on a 365es? I've connected ImageDirector3 to the projector, but I cannot pull-down the gamma table drop-box. I'm afraid the software won't work with my older model

If this is the case, I may be forced to follow entropy02's instructions to setup MadVR and additional calibration tools. The only problem is, it seems that is way more complicated than I'm able to figure out on my own. Entropy02 is there any chance I could ask you to help me and others here with more detailed step by step instructions? I would appreciate it if you could, if that is too much to ask, I completely understand. I have a GTX 1070 currently, I hope that would be adequate. I'd love to hear more about your setup (computer hardware and software). Thanks for letting us all know there are possibly better options than changing the gamma curves.

I just bought the Sony X800 and while it gives a decent picture, I can tell I'm losing a lot in the shadow detail for sure currently using the Sound & Vision calibration settings. I'm planning on swapping it out for the Panasonic Ub820, but I would like to improve the BT2020 color space on more than just discs.
You can’t load the curves if the projector is in HDR mode. Feed it a SDR source to enable the menu.
post #3765 of 3766 Old 08-19-2019, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Here's the link to the video.

Link
post #3766 of 3766 Old 08-19-2019, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I know the guy deleted his post but I'll answer his question anyways.
MY HTPC has a i5-9400F with a Noctua NH-L9 cooler (very reliable and silent), 16GB (DDR4 2400) of RAM, overall 5TB of storage, MSI B360M Mortar Tomahawk mobo and a Zotac RTX 2060 gpu. Overall it's a little bit overkill on the RAM and cpu side but I wanted something that would last a long time. I also have a bluray drive UHD friendly (LG WH16NS40), firmware flashed. I also bought a i1 display pro.

Then I use makemkv to generate then store .mkv files. For madVR, install the lastest version with the lastest version of madMeasureHDR and the HDR optimizer tool. If you want to optimize a 4k HDR movie, it's fairly easy, you just drag the .mkv files onto the madMeasureHDR icon and it'll create a .measurement file. Then you open the optimizer tool and open this file and run the optimized settings (I get arround 100 to 106 peak nits once calibrated so I use 100 nits).

I also created a 3dlut with the i1display pro. You download displaycal and choose the settings that you want and it'll save that 3dlut file into a folder that madVR already knows as a path for 3dlut files.

Overall, it's a lot of work but I gotta admit I had a lot of fun doing it and the end result is far far better than I expected. If anything, I wish I had known about all this earlier. Once you get everything working and optimize everything, you understand why a HTPC is often the backbone of a serious home theater. Each HDR scene is mapped to perfection.

*since you said you have a GTX1070, my gaming PC has a GTX1070 so I'll post the benchmarks for both computers :
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18350733
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18349451

Last edited by entropy02; 08-19-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
12v trigger , automation , directv and vpl-vw285es , vpl-vw285es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page