Sony VPL-VW285ES Owners Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3084Likes

post #3871 of 3874 Old 05-22-2020, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Indeed they are great projectors in their own right, I just think that the spec was ill judged at that point in time. I waited several years, avoiding the 500 and 520, until a model cam out that said it could handle HDR at 10/12 bit @50/60hz.
They could, but only in the loosest sense of the word.

Anyhoo, as for the differences between JVCs and Sonys, it simply isn't as great in normal viewing as some suggest. Sure, get meters and gauges up there and you can prove the JVCs have higher contrast etc, but when you simply watch something with your eyes the differences don't punch you in the face. They are very subtle.

Sony has an excellent line up of PJs, but a lot of people are being tempted by the extra 2k for an N5 over a 270ES as that 2k buys you a lot of very compelling extra features and specs.

Sony need to now reduce the 270ES to around 3-3.5k and the 570ES to 7k and they will gain many sales back from JVC.
I totally agree. The big difference is the DTM Frame Adapt HDR feature that JVC has along with better blacks and contrast. I have seen both and actually the Sony has better upscaling from 1080p. Making some tweaks and using the German Curves the Sony's are really great projectors. As you saild they should lower the price at this point. I am wondering what they will come up with with possible new models soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3874 Old 05-22-2020, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I totally agree. The big difference is the DTM Frame Adapt HDR feature that JVC has along with better blacks and contrast. I have seen both and actually the Sony has better upscaling from 1080p. Making some tweaks and using the German Curves the Sony's are really great projectors. As you saild they should lower the price at this point. I am wondering what they will come up with with possible new models soon?
New models at the same price points (or higher as is usually the case) will help no one.

They could easily keep the current line up going with price cuts for the lamp based models and new software all round.

There really is no new tech yet that makes any new hardware worthwhile I think.

At least in the relatively small PJ market they can actually afford to keep models going longer. Any improvements to picture quality, as the picture is so good already (DTM notwithstanding and even then that is more to do with presentation rather the PQ improvements per sae), will be largely a marketing driven thing that I think many will view cynically, especially at the moment.
rwestley likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking. ~~~ "Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #3873 of 3874 Old 05-22-2020, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
New models at the same price points (or higher as is usually the case) will help no one.

They could easily keep the current line up going with price cuts for the lamp based models and new software all round.

There really is no new tech yet that makes any new hardware worthwhile I think.

At least in the relatively small PJ market they can actually afford to keep models going longer. Any improvements to picture quality, as the picture is so good already (DTM notwithstanding and even then that is more to do with presentation rather the PQ improvements per sae), will be largely a marketing driven thing that I think many will view cynically, especially at the moment.
That being said, I would be surprised if Sony does not come out with new models in the Fall. It has been two years and that is a long time for model changes. I expect DTM to be included and
JVC might offer some slight changes. I would love to see Auto calc software and a meter included with a projector for calibration. They do it with the receiver and it would be a great selling point if it worked. Doing this could also possibly make it easier to get a Dolby Vision license. They could include these on upper priced models and lower the cost of the basic unit like the 270.
I would also like to see lower priced laser projectors but they could be years off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3874 of 3874 Old 05-22-2020, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
That being said, I would be surprised if Sony does not come out with new models in the Fall. It has been two years and that is a long time for model changes. I expect DTM to be included and
JVC might offer some slight changes. I would love to see Auto calc software and a meter included with a projector for calibration. They do it with the receiver and it would be a great selling point if it worked. Doing this could also possibly make it easier to get a Dolby Vision license. They could include these on upper priced models and lower the cost of the basic unit like the 270.
I would also like to see lower priced laser projectors but they could be years off.
Simple supply chain issues can mean no new models this year.
I think it would be a support nightmare including a meter for picture calibration. It isn't quite as straightforward as plonking a mic in a few different locations for sound calibration.
I for one will not be forking out another 15k for an new version of the 760. Free DTM software is what is needed.
I would however buy a new mainboard and fit it myself if the hardware had changed drastically. I can't see a different chassis being used unless RGB laser was coming in.

My guess for this year... If there is a new model it will be a flagship, VW5500 or VW10000 along with a new (slightly less capable) software update for lower models. This followed by new models lower down (with similar tech to the flagship) next year.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking. ~~~ "Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
12v trigger , automation , directv and vpl-vw285es , vpl-vw285es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page