Sony VPL-VW285ES Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3025Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 3730 Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM
Member
 
dupin67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Major correction on my previous statement: that Sony VW268 (VW285ES) does not respond to single button press for lens shift/zoom/focus.

It DOES respond to signle button press for lens shift/zoom/focus.

Sorry for my mistake.

Today when I tried to lock down the lens, I heard there was this mechanical movement sound (zi - zi -zi) when I pressed the button.
Then I went close to the projector to confirm there was that sound.
And I went back to screen and press button multiple times - the focus is actually changing but the change for every press is so tiny and that partly contrubuted to why I didn't notice it last time (there is other resaon later).

Confirmed with Zoom and Lens Shift too.

But that's not the whole story - I can see the pixel definition now!

How could that happen?
Previously I set the focus with "Test Pattern" on.
This is a huge mistake because the "Test Pattern" on option seems applied some anti-alias, smoothed out the edge of pixels.
See below picture:
"Test Pattern" on (left) vs. "Test Pattern" off (right)
Name:  IMG_1033.JPG
Views: 4531
Size:  19.8 KBName:  IMG_1032.JPG
Views: 4557
Size:  19.4 KB
See? Without the pixel deniftion I just failed to achieve the best focus.
Then with the anti-alias effect, I failed again to tell the difference when I pressed the button, which led me to draw the false conclusion above.

And to further understand how tiny the steps of focus are, this is the dead on focus:
Name:  IMG_1025.JPG
Views: 3637
Size:  27.0 KB

This is 10 presses away:
Name:  IMG_1026.JPG
Views: 3602
Size:  26.0 KB

This is another 10 presses away:
Name:  IMG_1027.JPG
Views: 3620
Size:  28.4 KB

After achieving the best focus, the greenish leakage got improved too. It is all related to focusing.
I was asked to take some photo of the greenish leakage. Below are left up corner and right up corner of "Test Pattern".
Name:  IMG_1034.JPG
Views: 3620
Size:  22.2 KBName:  IMG_1035.JPG
Views: 3611
Size:  21.2 KB
The leakage presents itself as a "tail" of the green dot. I could not get rid of it entirely, even with the dead on focus.

That said, I'm happier than yesterday with the pixel definition appeared finaly.

JACK LIU Projection Calculator - Zoom + Lens Shift at the same time
dupin67 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 3730 Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
christoffeldg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
Hmmm, I'm really contemplating this projector too.

Currently I own a HW40ES, I loved it and still do. But I'm up for an upgrade. And it's hard to choose between this and the JVC X7900/RS540. What I'd really love is a laser projector that does 4k at a reasonable price.

But, is either projector going to be a sufficient upgrade for me? Is the difference going to be obvious enough to justify the 5k pricetag?

I'm mostly gaming on my projector, so 4k is going to be a standout, as aliasing and polygonal complexity (Scenery complexity) will be much more obvious when gaming than it is on normal video material.
You and I are in a similar boat. I have the Sony HW65 but if I really do the math, I game more than anything else. I am eye balling the 285 ES (no DI and not 18GB HDMI) or JVC 540 (not 4K native and more lag than Sony) but they both feel like compromises that might last 1 to 2 years but not really what I am after. So question becomes do I wait another year or two and hope that what I really want comes into my price range (probably 5 to 7K). Also holding out hope the Epson LS10500 replacement might come out and fit the bill.
What's also getting me is the laser. Right now I'm on my third bulb in 3 years, that's a lot of money and I feel it's still too dim after a year. If I extrapolate that to the rs540 it would set me back another 1.5k over the same period. That's 8-9k euro for the rs540, getting uncomfortably close to the Sony 760es laser 4k at 15k

A laser would be more expensive but then I can actually fully enjoy the longer lasting brightness. I'd really love a 4k laser from Sony with the feature set of the 285es.

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+
christoffeldg is offline  
post #33 of 3730 Old 09-25-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
A laser would be more expensive but then I can actually fully enjoy the longer lasting brightness. I'd really love a 4k laser from Sony with the feature set of the 285es.
Yes, I would have loved to been able to afford the Sony 885/760 here in the US. But it is $25,000 vs $8,000 for the 385 with many of the same features.
In addition to the longer life with laser, you also get laser dimming, steadier calmer image (no JVC flicker), and quieter in my situation at 8000 feet elevation.

But I can't really justify the cost. If only Sony would price in the US similar to European pricing. I probably would have went with the Sony 885 in that case.
mbw23air likes this.
GregCh is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 3730 Old 09-25-2017, 11:48 AM
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,750
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
Yes, I would have loved to been able to afford the Sony 885/760 here in the US. But it is $25,000 vs $8,000 for the 385 with many of the same features.
In addition to the longer life with laser, you also get laser dimming, steadier calmer image (no JVC flicker), and quieter in my situation at 8000 feet elevation.

But I can't really justify the cost. If only Sony would price in the US similar to European pricing. I probably would have went with the Sony 885 in that case.
I want a Sony. I value the image characteristics they bring to the table.

The 885es is too rich for my blood. I just don't see spending that much money on a device considering how quickly things advance technology wise.

I was prepared to purchase a 675es because I didn't think the 300 series upgrade would be significant.

But Sony surprised me by adding more features than I expected and the 385es is close enough to the 675es for my needs and at a significantly lower price.

Part of my decision to pass on the 285es is due to being mentally prepared to purchase a 675es and already feeling like I put thousands back into my pocket. But I think it will provide a fine picture for those with a lower budget.
AMartin56 is offline  
post #35 of 3730 Old 09-25-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I want a Sony. I value the image characteristics they bring to the table.

The 885es is too rich for my blood. I just don't see spending that much money on a device considering how quickly things advance technology wise.

I was prepared to purchase a 675es because I didn't think the 300 series upgrade would be significant.

But Sony surprised me by adding more features than I expected and the 385es is close enough to the 675es for my needs and at a significantly lower price.

Part of my decision to pass on the 285es is due to being mentally prepared to purchase a 675es and already feeling like I put thousands back into my pocket. But I think it will provide a fine picture for those with a lower budget.
I came to the same decision as you. I should have a Sony 385ES sometime next month but I guess the first production release is not going to be until late next week and at that time it will be limited availability.

How Juan actually ended up with a 385 is a real mystery because supposedly they haven't released any production models into the wild yet.
GregCh is online now  
post #36 of 3730 Old 09-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
cemo62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinmunky99 View Post
In a ideal world there would be a projector that had the 4K panel with natural sharpness and filmic motion of the Sonybut with the contrast and brightness of something like the JVC 520. It would have the low input lag and 18gbs HDMI for gaming at [email protected]:4:4. At the cost of a 285
lol yes i would like to have a pj like that
cemo62 is offline  
post #37 of 3730 Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Ponziani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Campbell, CA, USA
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Local Best Buys are getting their demo units in around here (SF Bay Area). Unfortunately, Best Buy’s inventory system apparently can’t discern between demo and saleable units, so even though their website says “Available Today” and “Pickup in 1 hour” they won’t sell it to you in the store. Ask me how I know this...

Last edited by Ponziani; 09-27-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Ponziani is offline  
post #38 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 11:27 AM
Member
 
dupin67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
VW268(VW285ES) Pre-Calibrition Measurement FYI

100inch 1.0 gain screen, projection distance 10.7', Reference mode.

100IRE ftL
: left lamp high, right lamp low
Click image for larger version

Name:	ftL_before_cal_lamp_high.png
Views:	172
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	2289470 Click image for larger version

Name:	ftL_before_cal_lamp_low.png
Views:	170
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	2289472

Gammar: left lamp high, right lamp low
Click image for larger version

Name:	gammar_before_cal_lamp_high.png
Views:	150
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	2289474 Click image for larger version

Name:	gammar_before_cal_lamp_low.png
Views:	127
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	2289476

RGB levels: left lamp high, right lamp low
Click image for larger version

Name:	rgb_levels_before_cal_lamp_high.png
Views:	129
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	2289478 Click image for larger version

Name:	rgb_levels_before_cal_lamp_low.png
Views:	109
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	2289480

color temp: left lamp high, right lamp low
Click image for larger version

Name:	color_temp_before_cal_lamp_high.png
Views:	105
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	2289466 Click image for larger version

Name:	color_temp_before_cal_lamp_low.png
Views:	95
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	2289468

CIE: left lamp high, right lamp low
Click image for larger version

Name:	cie_before_cal_lamp_high.png
Views:	139
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	2289462 Click image for larger version

Name:	cie_before_cal_lamp_low.png
Views:	129
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	2289464

Conclusion: First Class pre-calibrition data!
Frohlich, glennQNYC and WildBoar like this.

JACK LIU Projection Calculator - Zoom + Lens Shift at the same time

Last edited by dupin67; 09-28-2017 at 11:30 AM.
dupin67 is offline  
post #39 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dupin67 View Post
100inch 1.0 gain screen, projection distance 10.7', Reference mode.

Conclusion: First Class pre-calibrition data![/B]
Did you ever try the panel alignment to clean up the small amount of green bleed that you had a problem with previously?
GregCh is online now  
post #40 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Member
 
dupin67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
Did you ever try the panel alignment to clean up the small amount of green bleed that you had a problem with previously?
The green bleed is sourced from lens, so achieve the best focus will mitigate the problem.
Other other hand, panel alignment is to adjust the "overlap" between R/G/B pixels.
Even perfect overlapping of R/B over G won't cover the "extra" green bleed.
So the panel alignment has no effect on this.

JACK LIU Projection Calculator - Zoom + Lens Shift at the same time
dupin67 is offline  
post #41 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Got a notice today that the projector is coming from FedEx. Should arrive tomorrow. Just in time for the weekend! I did not expect it to ship for another week, good news!
Frohlich and TheBrandon like this.
James Stephens 2 is offline  
post #42 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by dupin67 View Post
100inch 1.0 gain screen, projection distance 10.7', Reference mode.

100IRE ftL
: left lamp high, right lamp low
Attachment 2289470 Attachment 2289472

Gammar: left lamp high, right lamp low
Attachment 2289474 Attachment 2289476

RGB levels: left lamp high, right lamp low
Attachment 2289478 Attachment 2289480

color temp: left lamp high, right lamp low
Attachment 2289466 Attachment 2289468

CIE: left lamp high, right lamp low
Attachment 2289462 Attachment 2289464

Conclusion: First Class pre-calibrition data!
I am actually surprised to see that your gamma needs to be calibrated right out of the box. You need to get your hands on the Sony software to do that. It should be flatter than that IMO.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #43 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,747
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by dupin67 View Post
100inch 1.0 gain screen, projection distance 10.7', Reference mode.

100IRE ftL
: left lamp high, right lamp low
Attachment 2289470 Attachment 2289472
Is the fan near silent on low lamp? How far are your ears from the projector? Trying to get all the reports I can of fan noise as my current JVC is extremely quiet on low lamp. Thanks

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator S2, JTR Captivator S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (dual 15")
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
farsider3000 is offline  
post #44 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Is the fan near silent on low lamp? How far are your ears from the projector? Trying to get all the reports I can of fan noise as my current JVC is extremely quiet on low lamp. Thanks
What is the ambient sound floor of your room in db's?

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #45 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,747
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
What is the ambient sound floor of your room in db's?
It’s a dedicated room with double stud walls and double 5/8” Sheetrock with Green Glue. Using my crappy iPhone decibel meter it is telling me 33-34 dB. It seems very quiet to me and I can hear my JVC fan in low lamp mode from about 6 ft away but it is very faint and I can only hear it with the sound muted on the Datasat.
farsider3000 is offline  
post #46 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
It’s a dedicated room with double stud walls and double 5/8” Sheetrock with Green Glue. Using my crappy iPhone decibel meter it is telling me 33-34 dB. It seems very quiet to me and I can hear my JVC fan in low lamp mode from about 6 ft away but it is very faint and I can only hear it with the sound muted on the Datasat.
Nice.

Well the Sony 360 is 26db in fan noise according to Sony official documentation, and the JVC's are 21db (incl your 4910). Add 1db to the JVC for e-shift, if that.

If you say your noise floor is 33db though, kinda makes it interesting you say you can hear your jvc from 6ft away. Either your jvc is loud, or your phone meter is wrong. Or both vendors are wrong...

Anyway, if the specs are to be trusted, sounds like the Sony is a touch louder.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #47 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 08:16 PM
Member
 
jgslima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Campinas, Brazil
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
dupin67, what are your thoughts regarding the amount of light?

I am considering the 285, however the spec of only 1500 lumens intrigues me. This is less than my Panasonic AE4000 (1600 lumens) which was launched in 2009. And I am not even considering the HDR question, I worry about low light in general.
jgslima is offline  
post #48 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 11:01 PM
Member
 
dupin67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I am actually surprised to see that your gamma needs to be calibrated right out of the box. You need to get your hands on the Sony software to do that. It should be flatter than that IMO.
I think it may because this is not a light controlled room - but a living room with white ceiling and walls.

Regarding Sony ImageDirector, does it support Sony 4K model? Can I use USB cable to connect projector and laptop? Thanks!
Javs likes this.

JACK LIU Projection Calculator - Zoom + Lens Shift at the same time

Last edited by dupin67; 09-29-2017 at 01:46 AM.
dupin67 is offline  
post #49 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 11:03 PM
Member
 
dupin67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Is the fan near silent on low lamp? How far are your ears from the projector? Trying to get all the reports I can of fan noise as my current JVC is extremely quiet on low lamp. Thanks
Unfortunately no.

VW268 is louder than my previous HW50ES, even in low lamp you can hear it (where HW50ES is silent).
I'm sitting right under the projector, 3 feets away.

JACK LIU Projection Calculator - Zoom + Lens Shift at the same time
dupin67 is offline  
post #50 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 11:15 PM
Member
 
dupin67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgslima View Post
dupin67, what are your thoughts regarding the amount of light?

I am considering the 285, however the spec of only 1500 lumens intrigues me. This is less than my Panasonic AE4000 (1600 lumens) which was launched in 2009. And I am not even considering the HDR question, I worry about low light in general.
I don't see difference between 1800 lumen HW50ES and 1500 lumen VW285ES.

I definitely enjoy 2500 lumen TW9300 more when watching 3D.

With my limited 100 inch screen and close to wide angle installation, even low lamp mode, 2D is all good.

I guess if your screen size is 120 inch or less you will be just fine. Remember we can always go high lamp mode with some sacrifice on fan noise.

One last thing is for HDR, Sony seems do not take so much hit than Epson.

JACK LIU Projection Calculator - Zoom + Lens Shift at the same time
dupin67 is offline  
post #51 of 3730 Old 09-28-2017, 11:18 PM
Member
 
ForceUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dupin67 View Post
100inch 1.0 gain screen, projection distance 10.7', Reference mode.

100IRE ftL
: left lamp high, right lamp low
2289470 2289472

Gammar: left lamp high, right lamp low
2289474 2289476

RGB levels: left lamp high, right lamp low
2289478 2289480

color temp: left lamp high, right lamp low
2289466 2289468

CIE: left lamp high, right lamp low
2289462 2289464

Conclusion: First Class pre-calibrition data!
I am actually surprised to see that your gamma needs to be calibrated right out of the box. You need to get your hands on the Sony software to do that. It should be flatter than that IMO.
Sony software? External or in the menu? Sry I never had a Sony Projector ?
ForceUser is offline  
post #52 of 3730 Old 09-29-2017, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by dupin67 View Post
I think it may because this is not a light controlled room - but a living room with white ceiling and walls.

Regarding Sony ImageDirector, does it support Sony 4K model? Can I use USB cable to connect projector and laptop? Thanks!
I think your walls will actually explain that result, your walls would be reflecting light at differing intensities through the greyscale measurement, its a phenomenon I saw back when my room was untreated also coincidentally with a 4k Sony.

The sony software is compatible, but getting your hands on it is tough.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #53 of 3730 Old 09-29-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,521
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11806 Post(s)
Liked: 9344
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by dupin67 View Post
Unfortunately no.

VW268 is louder than my previous HW50ES, even in low lamp you can hear it (where HW50ES is silent).
I'm sitting right under the projector, 3 feets away.
The HW50ES was practically silent, so pretty much anything out there will be louder than it.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #54 of 3730 Old 09-29-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 23,985
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I want a Sony. I value the image characteristics they bring to the table.

The 885es is too rich for my blood. I just don't see spending that much money on a device considering how quickly things advance technology wise.

I was prepared to purchase a 675es because I didn't think the 300 series upgrade would be significant.

But Sony surprised me by adding more features than I expected and the 385es is close enough to the 675es for my needs and at a significantly lower price.

Part of my decision to pass on the 285es is due to being mentally prepared to purchase a 675es and already feeling like I put thousands back into my pocket. But I think it will provide a fine picture for those with a lower budget.
Those are all great choices, I do not think you will regret ending up with any of the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
I came to the same decision as you. I should have a Sony 385ES sometime next month but I guess the first production release is not going to be until late next week and at that time it will be limited availability.

How Juan actually ended up with a 385 is a real mystery because supposedly they haven't released any production models into the wild yet.
There are some 385 out there....
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #55 of 3730 Old 09-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Going to be fun afternoon and weekend! This will be replacing my epson 5030ub, 150" screen. The room is not a dedicated home theater, but does have pretty good light control as the three windows in the room have a combination of black out shades and fabric pull down shades, so fairly dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9395.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	911.8 KB
ID:	2289926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9394.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2289928  
James Stephens 2 is offline  
post #56 of 3730 Old 09-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Member
 
typecase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a question about a the weird aspect ratio. Since it isn't exactly 16:9 does that mean there's a light border around a typical 16:9 screen (since all content is 16:9). Also, since I have an 1.33 anamorphic lens and often watch 2.35:1 content, will this be affected at all? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Don't want to get excited about this until I've figured these issues out. Thanks.
typecase is offline  
post #57 of 3730 Old 09-29-2017, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Here are some pics from just getting it installed and set up.

Interesting that the green "box" has to be expanded beyond the 16x9 screen in order to get the picture to fully fill the screen? Probably have something set wrong? Notice how the green bars in the picture are not matching up exactly with the 16x9 screen? Got it set up though and movies and TV look great! I have a couple of UHD video's and they appeared a little darker than I want. I stripped the HDR off, but kept the full color using the Oppo and that helped out. The blu-ray's look great! I did have some issues with Ghostbusters UHD hanging up. Might be the cables, will need to play with it some more. My son is trying it out as we speak with the xbox and says the reaction time is good, so he is happy with it. The games really look way sharper than the epson did. Very happy with the projector so far!

More to come.. Also took some pictures of the menu's that show settings for anamorphic lens. These pictures are during the day with no direct light, but considerable light in the room. 150" screen. Will take some pics tonight when the room is dark.

My Epson 5030ub had 2000 hours on it, so the picture on this projector looks plenty bright for me. Brightness is just set at 50 or 60 percent. I was concerned about this issue, but it does not look to be a problem for me, but I will say the Epson is brighter, but not in a way I find to be a detrimental. Watched some of the recorded Packers game and it looked great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9428.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	753.8 KB
ID:	2290536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9425.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	807.0 KB
ID:	2290538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9424.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	2290540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9423.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	705.3 KB
ID:	2290542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9422.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	978.4 KB
ID:	2290544  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9420.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	933.5 KB
ID:	2290546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9417.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	910.3 KB
ID:	2290548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9432.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	649.9 KB
ID:	2290550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9433.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	961.9 KB
ID:	2290552  
Craig Peer and Frohlich like this.

Last edited by James Stephens 2; 09-29-2017 at 03:31 PM.
James Stephens 2 is offline  
post #58 of 3730 Old 09-29-2017, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 70
What is the Anamorphic lens setting for ? Does the Sony 285 do vertical stretch for horizontal expansion lens ?
stopdog is offline  
post #59 of 3730 Old 09-29-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
What is the Anamorphic lens setting for ? Does the Sony 285 do vertical stretch for horizontal expansion lens ?
I checked the manual and it does not do vertical stretch for 4096x2160 or 3840x2160 signal.
That sucks. I guess the Oppo 203 is the only solution then, or an expensive Lumagen processor.
stopdog is offline  
post #60 of 3730 Old 09-29-2017, 05:00 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Stephens 2 View Post
Here are some pics from just getting it installed and set up.



Interesting that the green "box" has to be expanded beyond the 16x9 screen in order to get the picture to fully fill the screen? Probably have something set wrong? Notice how the green bars in the picture are not matching up exactly with the 16x9 screen? Got it set up though and movies and TV look great! I have a couple of UHD video's and they appeared a little darker than I want. I stripped the HDR off, but kept the full color using the Oppo and that helped out. The blu-ray's look great! I did have some issues with Ghostbusters UHD hanging up. Might be the cables, will need to play with it some more. My son is trying it out as we speak with the xbox and says the reaction time is good, so he is happy with it. The games really look way sharper than the epson did. Very happy with the projector so far!



More to come.. Also took some pictures of the menu's that show settings for anamorphic lens. These pictures are during the day with no direct light, but considerable light in the room. 150" screen. Will take some pics tonight when the room is dark.



My Epson 5030ub had 2000 hours on it, so the picture on this projector looks plenty bright for me. Brightness is just set at 50 or 60 percent. I was concerned about this issue, but it does not look to be a problem for me, but I will say the Epson is brighter, but not in a way I find to be a detrimental. Watched some of the recorded Packers game and it looked great.

The green box grid doesn't align properly with your 16x9 screen because the Sony 4K projectors use true DCI 4K SXRD panels which have a 4096x2160 aspect and the UHD blurays use the UHD standard 3840x2160, so slightly smaller width wise.
Dave Harper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
12v trigger , automation , directv and vpl-vw285es , vpl-vw285es

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off