Sony VPL-VW285ES Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3003Likes

post #61 of 3659 Old 09-29-2017, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Stephens 2 View Post
Here are some pics from just getting it installed and set up.

Interesting that the green "box" has to be expanded beyond the 16x9 screen in order to get the picture to fully fill the screen? Probably have something set wrong? Notice how the green bars in the picture are not matching up exactly with the 16x9 screen? Got it set up though and movies and TV look great! I have a couple of UHD video's and they appeared a little darker than I want. I stripped the HDR off, but kept the full color using the Oppo and that helped out. The blu-ray's look great! I did have some issues with Ghostbusters UHD hanging up. Might be the cables, will need to play with it some more. My son is trying it out as we speak with the xbox and says the reaction time is good, so he is happy with it. The games really look way sharper than the epson did. Very happy with the projector so far!

More to come.. Also took some pictures of the menu's that show settings for anamorphic lens. These pictures are during the day with no direct light, but considerable light in the room. 150" screen. Will take some pics tonight when the room is dark.

My Epson 5030ub had 2000 hours on it, so the picture on this projector looks plenty bright for me. Brightness is just set at 50 or 60 percent. I was concerned about this issue, but it does not look to be a problem for me, but I will say the Epson is brighter, but not in a way I find to be a detrimental. Watched some of the recorded Packers game and it looked great.
Thanks for the update. Interested in how HDR looks ( strange it looks too dark) and on screen resolution. Would you mind testing to see how loud the fan is from about 6 ft away in low lamp mode in a very quiet room? I am itching to buy a 385 and waiting on the detailed reviews.

Last edited by farsider3000; 09-29-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3659 Old 09-29-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 11465 Post(s)
Liked: 9056
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
What is the Anamorphic lens setting for ? Does the Sony 285 do vertical stretch for horizontal expansion lens ?
Quote:
I checked the manual and it does not do vertical stretch for 4096x2160 or 3840x2160 signal.
That sucks. I guess the Oppo 203 is the only solution then, or an expensive Lumagen processor.
Yes, only works for content that is lower than 4K.
post #63 of 3659 Old 09-29-2017, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I checked the manual and it does not do vertical stretch for 4096x2160 or 3840x2160 signal.
That sucks. I guess the Oppo 203 is the only solution then, or an expensive Lumagen processor.
I agree. I checked the manual and it won't do the vertical stretch for computer sources either. I use this all the time for scope (21:9) movies on the PC. Looks like the Lumagen is the only solution here which raises the price of this projector considerably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 3659 Old 09-30-2017, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Any opinion which one is sharper? Sony 260 + RC or JVC RS500/520 series?
post #65 of 3659 Old 09-30-2017, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 1821
Quote:
Interesting that the green "box" has to be expanded beyond the 16x9 screen in order to get the picture to fully fill the screen?
That is correct, as the Sony panels are 4096X2160 Resolution not 3840x2160.

It's native panels are not 16:9

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #66 of 3659 Old 09-30-2017, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Thanks for the update. Interested in how HDR looks ( strange it looks too dark) and on screen resolution. Would you mind testing to see how loud the fan is from about 6 ft away in low lamp mode in a very quiet room? I am itching to buy a 385 and waiting on the detailed reviews.

Probably should not have mentioned the HDR issue, because really I just plugged the thing in yesterday in a room with a lot of light with nothing really set up or figured out. Let me play with the projector some more this weekend and then I will comment some more on it. Someone with more "skills" will be better able to review it. Really, just giving more of a how I "feel" about it compared to where I came from with the 5030ub. I really want to try and at least get the viewing wall painted a dark color(WAF Factor in play). I saw the Sony365 in a blacked out room a few weeks ago and that really showed me what is possible. I know I would get another Huge improvement.

Last night I watch an old James Bond movie (Spectra) on blu-ray and could not be more pleased. Just a whole other level of sharpness and realism I did not have with my 5030ub. Today, I am going to try it out for college football with ambient light and see how it does for me. My son is completely thrilled with it on the XBOX, so we are going to need to negotiate for screen time. Just heard him quietly turn it on this morning upstairs as I am sitting here typing and having a morning coffee. Might have to move the old Epson/Xbox into another room rather than selling it!
Frohlich likes this.
post #67 of 3659 Old 09-30-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
That is correct, as the Sony panels are 4096X2160 Resolution not 3840x2160.

It's native panels are not 16:9
Wow, that is interesting and a bit important to know! LOL. I guess since I have about a 3" frame around my screen it is not a problem as I can go a little larger on the width to get the screen fully filled without noticing it. I would imagine if you have one of those zero edge screens it might be a big issue? One small thing I noticed that is bothersome is that on the epson's you can resize the screen as you are watching the video, but on the sony you go into the black screen with the green bars and have to go back and forth until you get the picture to fill the screen. Not a big deal, but a little less easy.

Last edited by James Stephens 2; 09-30-2017 at 05:38 AM.
post #68 of 3659 Old 09-30-2017, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Wow, that is interesting and a bit important to know! LOL. I guess since I have about a 3" frame around my screen it is not a problem as I can go a little larger on the width to get the screen fully filled without noticing it. I would imagine if you have one of those zero edge screens it might be a big issue? One small thing I noticed that is bothersome is that on the epson's you can resize the screen as you are watching the video, but on the sony you go into the black screen with the green bars and have to go back and forth until you get the picture to fill the screen. Not a big deal, but a little less easy.
Switch off the test pattern option in the menu, and you adjust focus, zoom and shift without the green/black screen - it’s much better that way.
post #69 of 3659 Old 09-30-2017, 05:43 AM

Did I mention there are too many variables to dial in? Between the OPPO 203 and the Projector's many settings each effecting the picture it is difficult to figure out where to start. Hence the need for calibrators I suppose. The good news is it pretty much looks spectacular to a casual user right out of the box. Is it worth calibrating it in a non-light controlled room with light colored walls? Anyone in the Houston area someone could recommend?
post #70 of 3659 Old 09-30-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirodk View Post
Switch off the test pattern option in the menu, and you adjust focus, zoom and shift without the green/black screen - it’s much better that way.
THANKS! Haven't found my way around yet on this Sony.
cemo62 likes this.
post #71 of 3659 Old 09-30-2017, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Did I mention there are too many variables to dial in? Between the OPPO 203 and the Projector's many settings each effecting the picture it is difficult to figure out where to start. Hence the need for calibrators I suppose. The good news is it pretty much looks spectacular to a casual user right out of the box. Is it worth calibrating it in a non-light controlled room with light colored walls? Anyone in the Houston area someone could recommend?
Hard to say with the new models until more info is available but if you don't typically calibrate then I would just put it into Reference mode and leave it alone. It will be close enough.
post #72 of 3659 Old 09-30-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Hard to say with the new models until more info is available but if you don't typically calibrate then I would just put it into Reference mode and leave it alone. It will be close enough.
I can tell you for my personal preference, I watch blu rays on "Cinema Film 1" ("game" for gaming) versus "reference" on my last two Sony Projectors and anticipate I will prefer it on my coming 385 better as well. I know that is considered sacrilege to some of the die hard videophiles on AVS but I am more worried about what looks good to me then a perfect calibration that leaves colors less saturated than I personally enjoy. I have had several JVC owners in my HT that all complimented my picture and little do they know it wasn't set on reference
James Stephens 2 likes this.
post #73 of 3659 Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I can tell you for my personal preference, I watch blu rays on "Cinema Film 1" ("game" for gaming) versus "reference" on my last two Sony Projectors and anticipate I will prefer it on my coming 385 better as well. I know that is considered sacrilege to some of the die hard videophiles on AVS but I am more worried about what looks good to me then a perfect calibration that leaves colors less saturated than I personally enjoy. I have had several JVC owners in my HT that all complimented my picture and little do they know it wasn't set on reference
That certainly works if you prefer the picture!
post #74 of 3659 Old 09-30-2017, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 11465 Post(s)
Liked: 9056
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Yes it can be a problem, but has nothing to do with the 17:10 panel in the 4K projectors, because they will project a 16:9 image, not a 17:10 image, when fed a 16:9 input. The problem is the varying aspect ratios in movies. If you have a 2.35 screen and it is zero edge, then you could be overshooting the tiny frame, but that has more to do with scope movies being different aspect ratios. This is assuming that you are filling the height of your screen. So let's say that your projector is using 16:9 panels and you're 2.35 screen viewing height is 50". That means the viewing width is 117.5". If the aspect ratio of the movie is exactly 2.35, then it fits perfectly. If the aspect ratio of the movie is 2.40 and you fill the height of your screen, then the width of the image is 120". If you have a wide velvet frame then you can lose the 1.25" of image on each side. If you have a zero edge screen, you are going to have a little over a 1/2" black bar top and bottom, when you fill the width of your screen.
post #75 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys

I am playing around with motion flow on the 260/285 and it seems I cannot get it "spot on" like my VW90-ES.
Could that be because of the upscaling..or are there some wrong settings further down the line .. it is sugested for motion flow to choose True Cinema.

What are your experiences.

Last edited by BeamerFreak; 10-01-2017 at 03:20 AM.
post #76 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Question for current or potential Sony 4K projector users with a 2.35 screen

(Sorry have asked the same question on 385 owner thread)

To use the Lens Memory function to switch back and force between 16:9 and 2.35 content,
for 16:9 movie/TV, you will zoom out so the height of 16:9 movie fill the entire height of the screen,
for 2.35 movie, you will zoom in so the 2.35 frame within the 16:9 native output will fill the 2.35 screen (upper and lower black bars fall out of screen).

What is interesting is, the 4096x2160 Sony has a aspect option, you can choose 1.78:1 or 2.35:1. The usage of the pannel pixel is different.
Choose 1.78:1 you will use the full height of the pannel (3840x2160),
while choose 2.35:1 you will use full width of the pannel (4096x1743).
Suppose we won't change this option during the Lens Memory swtich, So to use as much of the pixels as possible (93.75% vs. 80.7%), we will opt the 1.78:1 and keep the height constant.

Above is my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason I ask this, is because I am adding apsect option for JACK LIU Projection Calculator.
And my calculation for 2.35 screen is based on constant height (the 1.78 option) so the data is different than VW285ES manual (the 2.35 option).

Just to confirm with you guys who are actually using 2.35 screen. Thanks!

Last edited by dupin67; 10-01-2017 at 10:48 AM.
post #77 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerFreak View Post
Hi guys

I am playing around with motion flow on the 260/285 and it seems I cannot get it "spot on" like my VW90-ES.
Could that be because of the upscaling..or are there some wrong settings further down the line .. it is sugested for motion flow to choose True Cinema.

What are your experiences.
True Cinema is to do exactly 24fps.

To smooth out judder you should choose Low or High, and this will create middle-frame(s) and insert it(them) between 2 actual frame.
These 2 options only available to 1080p content though.

JACK LIU Projection Calculator - Zoom + Lens Shift at the same time
post #78 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Many of the guys on the forum use "traveling calibrators" such as Jeff Meir (accucalav.com - I have used Jeff three times) and there is another calibrator on the forums called ChadB (hdtvbychadb.com - I have Chad scheduled for whenever he is coming back to Houston later in the year or early next year).

It would be nice to find a top calibrator that lives in Houston. I am not aware of one.

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator S2, JTR Captivator S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (dual 15")
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #79 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dupin67 View Post

To smooth out judder you should choose Low or High, and this will create middle-frame(s) and insert it(them) between 2 actual frame.
How is motion in general? Does it appear to have the same lines as your last projector (around 300 in motion)? How is Impulse mode? That should be active in 4k.
post #80 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm just going to have to buy this thing to see it in my room before I can rule it out. Best Buy says I could pick it up today but it looks like they have a ridiculous restock fee that would amount to $750 unless I'm reading it wrong. And the window is 15 days.

Amazon doesn't have it in stock yet but return window is 30 days and I've never been hit with a restock fee if it's sold by Amazon and not a third party vendor.

I can't completely rule this one out till I get a proper idea of the contrast in my bat cave. In those quick photos from James, the blacks don't look very promising but his room lighting isn't like mine and the pics were taken with a phone so they're pretty useless (no offense) for getting a feel for contrast and color. I'm specifically comparing the black border on the screen, the black bars on the Passenger shots, and the black dress on the anchor woman. Lots of DLP-looking dark greys there but I digress.

The photos do, however, show off the clarity pretty well, IMO, in some of the shots with the menus so that's promising. Man, I hate waiting on reviews!

James, can you measure the physical dimensions for me? I don't see them on Sony's site and don't trust them from other sites that have them listed. Also, does it exhaust out the back? I've got to get a 120" image on the screen. My current Panny AE8000 is doing it easily with the lens at 13' 10" from the screen but it's nowhere near as physically long as the Sony so I might have to mount the Sony further back which puts it pretty close to the back of the room so exhaust is a concern. Thank you!
post #81 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unacceptable View Post
I'm just going to have to buy this thing to see it in my room before I can rule it out. Best Buy says I could pick it up today but it looks like they have a ridiculous restock fee that would amount to $750 unless I'm reading it wrong. And the window is 15 days.

Amazon doesn't have it in stock yet but return window is 30 days and I've never been hit with a restock fee if it's sold by Amazon and not a third party vendor.

I can't completely rule this one out till I get a proper idea of the contrast in my bat cave. In those quick photos from James, the blacks don't look very promising but his room lighting isn't like mine and the pics were taken with a phone so they're pretty useless (no offense) for getting a feel for contrast and color. I'm specifically comparing the black border on the screen, the black bars on the Passenger shots, and the black dress on the anchor woman. Lots of DLP-looking dark greys there but I digress.

The photos do, however, show off the clarity pretty well, IMO, in some of the shots with the menus so that's promising. Man, I hate waiting on reviews!

James, can you measure the physical dimensions for me? I don't see them on Sony's site and don't trust them from other sites that have them listed. Also, does it exhaust out the back? I've got to get a 120" image on the screen. My current Panny AE8000 is doing it easily with the lens at 13' 10" from the screen but it's nowhere near as physically long as the Sony so I might have to mount the Sony further back which puts it pretty close to the back of the room so exhaust is a concern. Thank you!
You could also wait for reviews from professionals that will have the actual measurements.
post #82 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupin67 View Post

Thanks I experience motion flow a bit better/best when I choose " Combination".
I do not know what it implies technically but it seems a bit better than "slow".

I was wondering...the projector always scales up to 4k and still you use high or low motion flow and with native 4k you can only use impulse...it cannot process motion flow proper (yet) with 4k but it can when upscaled to 4k I am a bit lost there.
post #83 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6208 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
You could also wait for reviews from professionals that will have the actual measurements.
Yep, that's the best advise, meters do not lie......
post #84 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerFreak View Post
Thanks I experience motion flow a bit better/best when I choose " Combination".
I do not know what it implies technically but it seems a bit better than "slow".

I was wondering...the projector always scales up to 4k and still you use high or low motion flow and with native 4k you can only use impulse...it cannot process motion flow proper (yet) with 4k but it can when upscaled to 4k I am a bit lost there.
Impulse is black frame insertion. You'll notice the picture dims a little.

Smooth low and high is frame interpolation.

Combination is exactly that. A combination of frame interpolation and black frame insertion. Also dims a bit.

True Cinema is really for 24fps only and preserves original film cadence.
post #85 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 10:33 AM

This video can help explain the benefits of black frame insertion.

post #86 of 3659 Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
This video can help explain the benefits of black frame insertion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZpuog8Q4IQ
B

A film says more than words, thanks...much clearer now.
post #87 of 3659 Old 10-02-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Somebody in another thread just pointed out the first "official" review I have seen:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony...tor-review.htm
RickAVManiac likes this.
post #88 of 3659 Old 10-02-2017, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Somebody in another thread just pointed out the first "official" review I have seen:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony...tor-review.htm
Great review!

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #89 of 3659 Old 10-02-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Great review!
Agreed. Makes me look even more forward to my 385 I have on order. Thought I would have a tracking number from my dealer by now
post #90 of 3659 Old 10-02-2017, 11:23 AM

I just read through the review and it pretty much matches my experience thus far with the projector. I accidently posted my weekend with the projector in the other 285/385 thread. There were some things in the review that matched my experience with the projector this weekend.
1. Incredibly sharp picture with very nice color. Even with a bluray movie it was very nice. Just has a liquid smooth feel to the picture. Remember, I come from a Epson 5030ub, so relative to that.
2. I did notice last night as I was watching Bladerunner that the picture felt a bit brighter than I was used to. Seems like the review also points out the high lumen level while in the movie modes.
3. Not a particularly great projector to get if you want to watch things with the windows open. Not that it is not doable, just that other brighter projectors will do it better. My Epson was far better with a bright room.

I know the pictures I am posting really don't logically do anyone much good with the variances of the iphone and your monitor etc, but still fun to look at as everyone wants to see them anyway. With that in mind I will maybe show a few more if I have some Monday night football time tonight and maybe a few more pics from a UHD/HDR movie for fun. Then I will leave it to the experts to measure and report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
12v trigger , automation , directv and vpl-vw285es , vpl-vw285es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page