Sony VPL-VW285ES Owners Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3031Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 3771 Old 12-14-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,169
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12286 Post(s)
Liked: 9910
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post
OK next dumb question; once I have these patterns on a USB drive, how do I display the patterns on the 285? Do I use the thumb drive on the back of the projector?

Thanks,
Brian
No, that is only for firmware updates. You can use a device that you have connected to the projector that has USB input, like an Oppo.
Mike Garrett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 3771 Old 12-14-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Happy holidays all!

Can somebody please tell me if this projector is worth the upgrade from HW 40 ES? Every review I read online raves about this PJ but I get the sense from this forum that many are not happy with it with problems ranging from set up to banding.

I think I need to hold off. This is an interesting scenario where reviews seem to indicate the opposite of the real world forum members experiences .

Any advice is appreciated. I would be running this projector in a dedicated theater with an Xbox one X.
ddigler is offline  
post #1083 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 01:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Bodensee DE
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post
First off, the one saw-tooth pattern image tells me your focus is almost dead-on. See my previous post abut this.
I dont understand what "the focus is almost dead-on" means? Is it related to my zoom that is maxed out?

Projector: Sony VPL-VW285ES ----- Screen: Elite Screens Cinegrey 5D 110" Saker Tab Tension
AVR: Denon AVR X4400H ----------- Speakers: Nubert Nuvero 11 (Front), Nuvero 7 (Center), Nuvero 3 (Surround), Nuline RS-54 (Dolby Atmos Enabled), Nuvero AW-17 (Sub)
Media Player: Nvidia Shield TV ----- Gaming: Xbox One X
madmoxxii is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1084 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
briandx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Lewes DE
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmoxxii View Post
I dont understand what "the focus is almost dead-on" means? Is it related to my zoom that is maxed out?
I mean your focus is very sharp and does not need further adjustment

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Aesthetix Mimas; Rogue Triton II
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Simaudio 260DT; Music Hall mmf-9.3; Goldring Eroica LX
Speakers: Wilson Yvette (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
briandx is offline  
post #1085 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 06:34 AM
Member
 
WildBoar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glacier Park
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Just FYI,
tested the Maschiola's UHD disk last night on my 385ES and the "issue" (if I can name it this way) is more than evident.

I'd like to remark that the projector IS NOT malfunctioning, this is the way Sony preferred to set its values at the factory.

Anyway I didn't notice that issue watching video content so don't worry...
WildBoar is offline  
post #1086 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,169
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12286 Post(s)
Liked: 9910
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
Just FYI,
tested the Maschiola's UHD disk last night on my 385ES and the "issue" (if I can name it this way) is more than evident.

I'd like to remark that the projector IS NOT malfunctioning, this is the way Sony preferred to set its values at the factory.

Anyway I didn't notice that issue watching video content so don't worry...
Correct, they will never fully resolve all of the 4K test patterns, but this is nothing new. There were a lot of 1080P projectors that threw good images that could not resolve all of the 1080P test patterns.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #1087 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Member
 
Paul Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: South Pasadena,CA
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Gamma 7 Reset Question: I used Sony Image Director to transfer the custom settings on my 285 and I am wondering if it is possible to reset gamma 7 only to the factory default? The reason is that I am pleased with the new gamma settings for HDR on UHD discs but for standard blu rays I prefer the original cinema 1 which uses the original gamma 7 curve.
Paul Logan is offline  
post #1088 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,364
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6574 Post(s)
Liked: 6574
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Happy holidays all!

Can somebody please tell me if this projector is worth the upgrade from HW 40 ES? Every review I read online raves about this PJ but I get the sense from this forum that many are not happy with it with problems ranging from set up to banding.
I think I need to hold off. This is an interesting scenario where reviews seem to indicate the opposite of the real world forum members experiences .
You know, you have to read thru the lines, everyone complains about this or that on the forum. Every make, every model, every category. Its the nature of the beast. If you are waiting for the projector with no complaints, you will be waiting for eternity. There are plenty of happy owners, there are plenty of owners who realize every tech has limitations and enjoy what they have. Coming off the 40ES I would think you would notice some big gains even though that is a fine machine ......being worth the upgrade is always up to you. I will say you only get one go around on planet earth and you deserve it...lol
Brian Hampton and ddigler like this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1089 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
briandx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Lewes DE
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You know, you have to read thru the lines, everyone complains about this or that on the forum. Every make, every model, every category. Its the nature of the beast. If you are waiting for the projector with no complaints, you will be waiting for eternity. There are plenty of happy owners, there are plenty of owners who realize every tech has limitations and enjoy what they have. Coming off the 40ES I would think you would notice some big gains even though that is a fine machine ......being worth the upgrade is always up to you. I will say you only get one go around on planet earth and you deserve it...lol
I was going to reply to this post but it seems Cleveland Plasma beat me to it!
It is true that many of us Sony 285 early adopters have complained about various issues we have been experiencing. Most of mine I have solved/gotten around (many with the help of the great contributors at AVS) and I am left with a projector I truly love (at least after 10 days) and would buy again. I think that is the best compliment I can give.

I would say that if you already have a fine-performing full HD front projector then there is probably no compelling case to upgrade right now. Most of the material I will be watching on the 285 at least in the near term will be HD, not 4K with HDR.

However, once the main networks start broadcasting live 4K events with 12 months (I hope) and the main providers like Comcast, Version FIOS, .etc start picking these broadcasts up (I really really hope) then there will a much more compelling reason to upgrade to 4K both with your TV and projector.
WildBoar and ddigler like this.

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Aesthetix Mimas; Rogue Triton II
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Simaudio 260DT; Music Hall mmf-9.3; Goldring Eroica LX
Speakers: Wilson Yvette (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
briandx is offline  
post #1090 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Paul Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: South Pasadena,CA
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone tried the factory default gamma reset on Sony Image Director.?
Paul Logan is offline  
post #1091 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Logan View Post
Has anyone tried the factory default gamma reset on Sony Image Director.?

Hi Paul, not sure, as I havent tried this. Perhaps you could use gamma 2.4 or gamma 2.2 for standard blu-rays. I use 2.4 on regular blu rays and think it looks great. If that worked for you then you wouldnt have to worry about resetting gamma 7.
scoochie likes this.

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
jbrinegar is offline  
post #1092 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would this be a significant improvement over an Epson 5010 @ 120"?
R²B is offline  
post #1093 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Member
 
Paul Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: South Pasadena,CA
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
Hi Paul, not sure, as I havent tried this. Perhaps you could use gamma 2.4 or gamma 2.2 for standard blu-rays. I use 2.4 on regular blu rays and think it looks great. If that worked for you then you wouldnt have to worry about resetting gamma 7.
Yes I did try both 2.2 and 2.4 and both work ok but I like Cinema 1 with the low lamp setting for blu ray movies which uses Gamma 7 and it now does not look good. I thought if I could reset 7 with the original factory gamma curve and keep the new 8-10 with the new curves I would have the best of both gamma settings.
jbrinegar likes this.
Paul Logan is offline  
post #1094 of 3771 Old 12-15-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
briandx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Lewes DE
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
After considerable experimentation I have settled on:
Non-HDR material: Cinema 1, with Gamma 2.0, Color 3
HDR Material: Cinema 2, with Gamma 7 (Updated version), Color 3, High Lamp setting

I have now watched about a dozen SDR and HDR movies from UHD discs and Netflix streaming; These setting seem to work the best in my home...
jbrinegar likes this.

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Aesthetix Mimas; Rogue Triton II
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Simaudio 260DT; Music Hall mmf-9.3; Goldring Eroica LX
Speakers: Wilson Yvette (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
briandx is offline  
post #1095 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soccerdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: South of NJ Turnpike
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 118
What video output setting on the Oppo203 works best with Sony285?...

LG OLED C8 65 2018 BR . HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/C 9080/9040 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Panasonic UB820 and a nagging wife.
Soccerdude is offline  
post #1096 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Happy holidays all!

Can somebody please tell me if this projector is worth the upgrade from HW 40 ES? Every review I read online raves about this PJ but I get the sense from this forum that many are not happy with it with problems ranging from set up to banding.

I think I need to hold off. This is an interesting scenario where reviews seem to indicate the opposite of the real world forum members experiences .

Any advice is appreciated. I would be running this projector in a dedicated theater with an Xbox one X.
Former 55ES owner here and the 285ES was most definitely worth the upgrade! Using the custom gamma curves/settings makes it even better. As mentioned before, don't be put off by the negatives. There's always bound to be something but as in most cases, they're not exactly dealbreakers. At least not to me, the positives here easily outweigh the "negatives". The 60hz banding problem to me for instance, isn't even a real problem. Sure, it would be nice to get a banding free picture with HDR gaming but I don't game that much on the PJ and when I do, I don't really notice it that much since I'm too busy gaming and enjoying the otherwise wonderful picture.

Just yesterday me and a friend played a couple of games on his Xbox One X that he brought along, and everything looked really great on the 285ES. Can't even remember seeing banding while playing Destiny and Gears 4.
ddigler likes this.
DJR662 is offline  
post #1097 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
briandx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Lewes DE
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
What video output setting on the Oppo203 works best with Sony285?...
My 205 has always been set to "UHD Auto" even before I bought the 285.

It would be interesting to see what happens if this setting were to be changed to "Source", and let a 1080p signal go into the Sony. In other words, does the Oppo do a better job of up-converting or does the Sony?
Soccerdude likes this.

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Aesthetix Mimas; Rogue Triton II
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Simaudio 260DT; Music Hall mmf-9.3; Goldring Eroica LX
Speakers: Wilson Yvette (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
briandx is offline  
post #1098 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soccerdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: South of NJ Turnpike
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post
My 205 has always been set to "UHD Auto" even before I bought the 285.

It would be interesting to see what happens if this setting were to be changed to "Source", and let a 1080p signal go into the Sony. In other words, does the Oppo do a better job of up-converting or does the Sony?
I will give it a try tho .

LG OLED C8 65 2018 BR . HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/C 9080/9040 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Panasonic UB820 and a nagging wife.
Soccerdude is offline  
post #1099 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soccerdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: South of NJ Turnpike
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post
It would be interesting to see what happens if this setting were to be changed to "Source", and let a 1080p signal go into the Sony. In other words, does the Oppo do a better job of up-converting or does the Sony?
I would put my money on oppo but you never know Sony is a giant in this line of business with more RD mullah

LG OLED C8 65 2018 BR . HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/C 9080/9040 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Panasonic UB820 and a nagging wife.
Soccerdude is offline  
post #1100 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You know, you have to read thru the lines, everyone complains about this or that on the forum. Every make, every model, every category. Its the nature of the beast. If you are waiting for the projector with no complaints, you will be waiting for eternity. There are plenty of happy owners, there are plenty of owners who realize every tech has limitations and enjoy what they have. Coming off the 40ES I would think you would notice some big gains even though that is a fine machine ......being worth the upgrade is always up to you. I will say you only get one go around on planet earth and you deserve it...lol


Thanks for the response Cleveland! Agree with you on every front.

Due to the timing of my home theater build I adopted the 40 ES pretty late in the game. By the time I got it it fit the price and people were enjoying it and knew most of the tweaks. I’m not scared to be an early adopter although certainly can come with some disadvantages I’m enough of an enthusiast to give it a go.

What I’m really trying to determine is how much of a difference in picture quality will 4K make on my 140 inch screen both in the case of movies and videogames. I guess I just haven’t researched enough to know how big of a ddifference we’re talking…

And this banding thing… I’ve heard people go as far as to say the projector is just broken and can’t be fixed? can’t put the money into something that has a major deficiency ya know?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ddigler is offline  
post #1101 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post
I was going to reply to this post but it seems Cleveland Plasma beat me to it!
It is true that many of us Sony 285 early adopters have complained about various issues we have been experiencing. Most of mine I have solved/gotten around (many with the help of the great contributors at AVS) and I am left with a projector I truly love (at least after 10 days) and would buy again. I think that is the best compliment I can give.

I would say that if you already have a fine-performing full HD front projector then there is probably no compelling case to upgrade right now. Most of the material I will be watching on the 285 at least in the near term will be HD, not 4K with HDR.

However, once the main networks start broadcasting live 4K events with 12 months (I hope) and the main providers like Comcast, Version FIOS, .etc start picking these broadcasts up (I really really hope) then there will a much more compelling reason to upgrade to 4K both with your TV and projector.


Thanks for taking a minute Bryan! Good points, every one.

I do a lot of gaming as well and movie watching: there is a decent amount of UHD and HDR video games and movies hitting the market right now as far as I’m aware? Xbox one X seems to have a bunch of 4K games hitting the stage which interest me. I’m not interested in buying a bunch of UHD Blu-ray‘s so will probably end up looking into some type of online rental service…

I see what you mean regarding service providers providing 4K content. I guess that’s not quite there yet but I still have so much to learn…




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ddigler is offline  
post #1102 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,364
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6574 Post(s)
Liked: 6574
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
I’ve heard people go as far as to say the projector is just broken and can’t be fixed? can’t put the money into something that has a major deficiency ya know?
That's the thing, we all know every model out there has flaws and these flaws being "major" is in the eye's of the beholder. Your getting a demon no matter what, just pick the one you can live with......If you don't like the Sony look over the the JVC. Many user like one of the two.....
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1103 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Former 55ES owner here and the 285ES was most definitely worth the upgrade! Using the custom gamma curves/settings makes it even better. As mentioned before, don't be put off by the negatives. There's always bound to be something but as in most cases, they're not exactly dealbreakers. At least not to me, the positives here easily outweigh the "negatives". The 60hz banding problem to me for instance, isn't even a real problem. Sure, it would be nice to get a banding free picture with HDR gaming but I don't game that much on the PJ and when I do, I don't really notice it that much since I'm too busy gaming and enjoying the otherwise wonderful picture.



Just yesterday me and a friend played a couple of games on his Xbox One X that he brought along, and everything looked really great on the 285ES. Can't even remember seeing banding while playing Destiny and Gears 4.


Hey DJ I appreciate the input! You people are working on me haha - wife is looking nervous as she sees me being persuaded to pull the trigger!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ddigler is offline  
post #1104 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
For this projector, do you guys recommend gray or white screen?

The basement is completely dark but the wall is light gray and ceiling is white. Carpet is light brown.

Any input is appreciated.
Balthezor is offline  
post #1105 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
What video output setting on the Oppo203 works best with Sony285?...
I like source direct so I can use the motion flow settings (I like true cinema) and let the Sony do the upconversion on 1080 blu rays. Just personal preference
Soccerdude and markiscott like this.

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
jbrinegar is offline  
post #1106 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV Doogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthezor View Post
For this projector, do you guys recommend gray or white screen?

The basement is completely dark but the wall is light gray and ceiling is white. Carpet is light brown.

Any input is appreciated.
I am using my '385 with a Screen innovations Slate 1.2 at 106" diagonal. This screen allows for some ambient light and light colored walls without too much reflection. The slate color of the screen seems to improve the black level slightly.

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
AV Doogie is offline  
post #1107 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Phonzo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: DC,MD,VA
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Ok Guys, I've read page upon page about this projector. I recently bought an OPEN Box VPL VW365ES from Best Buy at 3999... I've been reading that there is a nice difference in Video processing, HDR, and overall abilities to justify an extra $1,000 upgrade perhaps. Has anyone went from a 365 to a 285 and was it (OPINION) worth the upgrade??? Is the 13.5gb bandwidth better than 10.2gb ?? Will I be a little better "near future" proofed with the extra $1,000 spent.

Like I posted, I got the 365 for $3,999 and wondering if I should keep it or go with the minor upgrades. What do you guys think. Need a little help.

Thanks in advance.

If you KRANK it.. They will Listen..
Phonzo07 is offline  
post #1108 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,169
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12286 Post(s)
Liked: 9910
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthezor View Post
For this projector, do you guys recommend gray or white screen?

The basement is completely dark but the wall is light gray and ceiling is white. Carpet is light brown.

Any input is appreciated.
Depends on screen size, aspect ratio, throw, how close the walls and ceiling are and budget.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #1109 of 3771 Old 12-16-2017, 10:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sony VPL-VW285ES Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Thanks for taking a minute Bryan! Good points, every one.

I do a lot of gaming as well and movie watching: there is a decent amount of UHD and HDR video games and movies hitting the market right now as far as I’m aware? Xbox one X seems to have a bunch of 4K games hitting the stage which interest me. I’m not interested in buying a bunch of UHD Blu-ray‘s so will probably end up looking into some type of online rental service…

I see what you mean regarding service providers providing 4K content. I guess that’s not quite there yet but I still have so much to learn…




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I’d like to know if a lot of people of play games using this and how does it look does this mean that we will not be able to take advantage of the HDR gaming in this game or does it work I’m very confused with everything that’s been said here but I would like to use this with the PS4 Pro or Xbox x as well.
Bottom line is the 285 only good for 4K Blu-ray’s in 4K content or will it play games?

I find it very strange that Sony who owns the PlayStation would release a projector that wouldn’t be able to be used for its newest platforms, maybe there’s a firmware update on the way that will allow this projector to play at 60 frames?

Is there a Setting that it must be in to play games at 4K?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thisisgroot is offline  
post #1110 of 3771 Old 12-17-2017, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisgroot View Post
I’d like to know if a lot of people of play games using this and how does it look does this mean that we will not be able to take advantage of the HDR gaming in this game or does it work I’m very confused with everything that’s been said here but I would like to use this with the PS4 Pro or Xbox x as well.
Bottom line is the 285 only good for 4K Blu-ray’s in 4K content or will it play games?

I find it very strange that Sony who owns the PlayStation would release a projector that wouldn’t be able to be used for its newest platforms, maybe there’s a firmware update on the way that will allow this projector to play at 60 frames?

Is there a Setting that it must be in to play games at 4K?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have played 4K/HDR games on the 285ES using both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and it works just fine, the (HDR) picture is as great as when watching a 4K/HDR movie.

No special settings needed in order to be able to play 4K games and it plays just fine @ 60Hz, whether it's HDR or not.

BUT.

The thing is you can get some color banding when playing a 4K/HDR game @ 60hz due to the bith depth being brought back from 10 to 8 bit. So that means that you'll see some banding in the sky when playing CoD WWII for example but Destiny 2 on the other will be banding free. Otherwise everything works exactly as it should.

Not a dealbreaker for me personally though. The 285ES is an amazing projector and definitely worth its money IMO.

Also if you are really bothered by the banding, you can downscale the image using either the Oppo or HD Fury and then send a 1080/60 HDR signal to the 285ES. The projector will upscale it to 4K but you won't have color banding since it's being fed a 1080/60 HDR signal. This came courtesy from those kind people from Germany.
ddigler likes this.
DJR662 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
12v trigger , automation , directv and vpl-vw285es , vpl-vw285es

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off