Sony VPL-VW285ES Owners Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3032Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1351 of 3780 Old 01-04-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,775
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3838 Post(s)
Liked: 4707
The 285ES can be controlled over IP (RJ-45) or over RS-232C. For IP control check on page 38 of user manual.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1352 of 3780 Old 01-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Member
 
pdube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
The 285ES can be controlled over IP (RJ-45) or over RS-232C. For IP control check on page 38 of user manual.
Interesting but you understand that I want something fully automated? I turn ON my preamp and the projector turns ON by itself. I still don't see how to do that...
pdube is offline  
post #1353 of 3780 Old 01-04-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,775
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3838 Post(s)
Liked: 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdube View Post
Interesting but you understand that I want something fully automated? I turn ON my preamp and the projector turns ON by itself. I still don't see how to do that...
Get an Harmony Elite remote and problem solved.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1354 of 3780 Old 01-05-2018, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johnson636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim
Posts: 2,504
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdube View Post
Interesting but you understand that I want something fully automated? I turn ON my preamp and the projector turns ON by itself. I still don't see how to do that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Get an Harmony Elite remote and problem solved.
Throw in an echo dot along with a harmony hub and you can turn on both of them by voice command
johnson636 is offline  
post #1355 of 3780 Old 01-05-2018, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyalie256 View Post
I have the exact same problem and believe it is a netflix/atv software issue vs hdmi. I have an in ceiling cable and really do not want to replace it. I am hope the next ATV update might fix it...

I tried the new hdmi cable, but still same problem. Its got to be an issue with the DV to HDR10 conversion not working properly on the netlfix app only.

I know there are some other members using an apple 4k tv without this issue though. Any further settings suggestions to try from users that have an apple 4k tv and can watch dolby vision tagged netflix shows in hdr10 without the picture cutting in and out constantly? Id love to get more detailed info about your settings both on the apple tv and the sony.
WildBoar likes this.

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
jbrinegar is online now  
post #1356 of 3780 Old 01-06-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,590
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
It's amazing how bad some of the customer service is with some of these companies. NOt just Sony but a lot of other ones too. I hear Viewsonic sometimes makes up excuses not to even repair broken units...
Don't know if it's true.

It's a sham considering the profit margins on these things for the MFR's, which are relatively high in this segment (at least compared to other electronics)..
That's why a good dealer who will help you out even 6 months down the road is important. You are right, high margins on some of this stuff for dealers, but I wonder how much the manufacturer makes after they pay for everything including warranty claims.....
Dave Harper likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1357 of 3780 Old 01-06-2018, 10:01 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That's why a good dealer who will help you out even 6 months down the road is important......

Agreed!!! I am and have been on both ends of this.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #1358 of 3780 Old 01-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
I tried the new hdmi cable, but still same problem. Its got to be an issue with the DV to HDR10 conversion not working properly on the netlfix app only.

I know there are some other members using an apple 4k tv without this issue though. Any further settings suggestions to try from users that have an apple 4k tv and can watch dolby vision tagged netflix shows in hdr10 without the picture cutting in and out constantly? Id love to get more detailed info about your settings both on the apple tv and the sony.
i have found no combination of settings that works. hdr on amazon prime on ATV works fine, it’s only Netflix on ATV.
greenyalie256 is offline  
post #1359 of 3780 Old 01-07-2018, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5250 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
I've been massively fighting the picture quality on the 285es. Coming from my jvc x750r, the jvc is brighter, has better blacks, and all the images just pop better.

My usage is 65% games and pc desktop, 33% hdtv, and 2% movies. It's an uncommon usage. As far as 4K goes, I notice nothing on tv, very little benefit on movies over eshift even true 4K movies. However, in games the difference is really dramatic. The Sony is so much sharper and adds a ton of detail. And, you can turn off antialiasing in the game because jaggies are so much smaller at 4K which additionally adds more detail and sharpening to the game. It makes 4K worth it to me a ton.

Anyways, the Sony picture seems to lack some sort of oomph and I haven't been able to put my finger on it until now. It's something in gamma. In slight shadows there are aspects of the image that's just too dark. Gamma 1.8 helps but it washes the entire picture out too much. Doing more testing, setting windows 10 nvidia gamma to 1.1 in nvidia control panel and leaving gamma correction off in the projector actually seems to solve it. It does so in a way that doesn't wipe out the blacks and colors either. In fact, it looks more like the jvc did and colors are popping much more all around.

With this change, I am satisfied watching HDTV and non hdr movies in low lamp mode. Games still benefit at high lamp. Now if I turn on a ps4 or Xbox or any other player, I'll lose my gamma gain. So into my reason for this post.

What are my options for calibrating a custom projector gamma setting that matches whatever nvidia gamma does? I played with gain and bias settings but I can't get it close to whatever the video card software is doing. I'm sure it's probably possible. Ideally I'd probably limit this custom gamma to game mode. On previous projectors there was some sort of Sony video calibration software but it seems to be unavailable to the public. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by markmon1; 01-08-2018 at 11:18 PM.
markmon1 is offline  
post #1360 of 3780 Old 01-09-2018, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV Doogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I've been massively fighting the picture quality on the 285es. Coming from my jvc x750r, the jvc is brighter, has better blacks, and all the images just pop better.

Anyways, the Sony picture seems to lack some sort of oomph and I haven't been able to put my finger on it until now. It's something in gamma. In slight shadows there are aspects of the image that's just too dark. Gamma 1.8 helps but it washes the entire picture out too much. Doing more testing, setting windows 10 nvidia gamma to 1.1 in nvidia control panel and leaving gamma correction off in the projector actually seems to solve it. It does so in a way that doesn't wipe out the blacks and colors either. In fact, it looks more like the jvc did and colors are popping much more all around.

With this change, I am satisfied watching HDTV and non hdr movies in low lamp mode. Games still benefit at high lamp. Now if I turn on a ps4 or Xbox or any other player, I'll lose my gamma gain. So into my reason for this post.

What are my options for calibrating a custom projector gamma setting that matches whatever nvidia gamma does? I played with gain and bias settings but I can't get it close to whatever the video card software is doing. I'm sure it's probably possible. Ideally I'd probably limit this custom gamma to game mode. On previous projectors there was some sort of Sony video calibration software but it seems to be unavailable to the public. Anyone have any suggestions?
Have you given thought to a professional calibration of the projector? I have professional calibration completed at least once on each projector I have owned and find the final result to be much better than the 'out of the box' settings'.
ddigler likes this.

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
AV Doogie is offline  
post #1361 of 3780 Old 01-09-2018, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5250 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post
Have you given thought to a professional calibration of the projector? I have professional calibration completed at least once on each projector I have owned and find the final result to be much better than the 'out of the box' settings'.
I am out on a pro doing it but I am in on getting the software and trying to mess with it myself. I have requested the software from my dealer and we will see.
ddigler likes this.
markmon1 is offline  
post #1362 of 3780 Old 01-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Senior Member
 
NetViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AorticAneurysmX View Post
I snagged this projector up at a Magnolia Design Center in MD the other day. I haven't had a chance to do to much with it but this thing beats this piss out of my 5040UB when it comes to gaming. I do notice the banding flying in BF1 or in the fog but its not terrible.

Im going to be selling my 5040 asap if it looks good on my wall tonight.
My 5040 is amazing for gaming on the Xbox one x. I can’t see how this would beat the piss out of it. I also run the linker with it so I have 4k 60 hdr just like this Sony. (Also has banding just like the Sony )
NetViper is offline  
post #1363 of 3780 Old 01-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Warranty. Projector will be longer in repairs then I actually had it

I posted before about sending my projector for warranty repair. Now I just got update that it will be 3 weeks before they get parts they need from Sony. That is some piss poor service on Sony part. If I could go back in time would never buy a projector from Sony if that's how they handle warranty.
You should hope yours doesn't break, cause you won't see it for a while.

(I am using my 5030 to tie me over.. )
Aim1999x is offline  
post #1364 of 3780 Old 01-10-2018, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Jeffg8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post
Have you given thought to a professional calibration of the projector? I have professional calibration completed at least once on each projector I have owned and find the final result to be much better than the 'out of the box' settings'.
Depending upon one's location the wait for a professional can calibration can be excruciatingly long. Not knocking them just wish there were more readily available.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dedicated Theater -Projector -Sony 385es-Screen-Stewart Firehawk 110" 1.78-Video-Panasonic UB-900, Direct Tv-Preamp-Anthem AVM-60-Amplifiers-MM8077, Proceed Amp 5-Sub-SVS-PB13 Ultra Speakers-B&W 803D, HTM1, Side and Rear Wall B&W (4), Ceiling B&W (4)
Xbox One -Panamax M5300-PM-Control 4 Ea-5,Pakedge Router
Jeffg8 is offline  
post #1365 of 3780 Old 01-10-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV Doogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg8 View Post
Depending upon one's location the wait for a professional can calibration can be excruciatingly long. Not knocking them just wish there were more readily available.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Cedia provides a way to find calibration professionals.... if you didn't know. http://www.cedia.org/find-a-cedia-professional

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
AV Doogie is offline  
post #1366 of 3780 Old 01-10-2018, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5250 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetViper View Post
My 5040 is amazing for gaming on the Xbox one x. I can’t see how this would beat the piss out of it. I also run the linker with it so I have 4k 60 hdr just like this Sony. (Also has banding just like the Sony )
On gaming, the native 4k sharpness just destroys any of the pixel shifters for sharpness and detail. The difference is huge over the difference you get on any video playback.
markmon1 is offline  
post #1367 of 3780 Old 01-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Newbie
 
Shellbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone pairing this with a Black Diamond 1.4 screen? That's the screen I've been using with an older Epson 9700 and I have the 285 on order. It's a media room, not a bat cave, with very good light control. Mostly watching at night anyways. Just curious about some feedback and some other screen options. Currently at 100" sitting about 12-13' feet away, but likely going to upgrade to 120" here in the near future. Walls are a dark brown and carpet is beige, but about to be replaced.
Shellbmb is offline  
post #1368 of 3780 Old 01-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 66
How does this PJ compare to the JVC eshift projectors for < $5,000 for 4K Blu Ray picture quality? I currently have the Sony 45es and I’m thinking about upgrading.
Dirk504 is offline  
post #1369 of 3780 Old 01-11-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV Doogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbmb View Post
Anyone pairing this with a Black Diamond 1.4 screen? That's the screen I've been using with an older Epson 9700 and I have the 285 on order. It's a media room, not a bat cave, with very good light control. Mostly watching at night anyways. Just curious about some feedback and some other screen options. Currently at 100" sitting about 12-13' feet away, but likely going to upgrade to 120" here in the near future. Walls are a dark brown and carpet is beige, but about to be replaced.
Not quite the black diamond, but I am using a 106" SI Slate 1.2 with my Sony VW385. I have very good light control but some elements of my room do reflect light from the screen. This screen seems to control the reflected light very well.

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
AV Doogie is offline  
post #1370 of 3780 Old 01-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
NetViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
On gaming, the native 4k sharpness just destroys any of the pixel shifters for sharpness and detail. The difference is huge over the difference you get on any video playback.
Interesting. I’ll have to see it. I think mine is plenty sharp, but my oled certainly looks better.
NetViper is offline  
post #1371 of 3780 Old 01-11-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5250 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbmb View Post
Anyone pairing this with a Black Diamond 1.4 screen? That's the screen I've been using with an older Epson 9700 and I have the 285 on order. It's a media room, not a bat cave, with very good light control. Mostly watching at night anyways. Just curious about some feedback and some other screen options. Currently at 100" sitting about 12-13' feet away, but likely going to upgrade to 120" here in the near future. Walls are a dark brown and carpet is beige, but about to be replaced.
My friend has the 285es on a 110" black diamond 2 1.4 screen. With the lights off the thing is plasma like. With ambient light is still pretty good. It's a good pairing. Highly recommended.
markmon1 is offline  
post #1372 of 3780 Old 01-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Member
 
WildBoar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glacier Park
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyalie256 View Post
i have found no combination of settings that works. hdr on amazon prime on ATV works fine, it’s only Netflix on ATV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
I know there are some other members using an apple 4k tv without this issue though. Any further settings suggestions to try from users that have an apple 4k tv and can watch dolby vision tagged netflix shows in hdr10 without the picture cutting in and out constantly? Id love to get more detailed info about your settings both on the apple tv and the sony.
So we are 4 people with the same issue!!

There's another folk in the 385ES owners thread.

It's time to call Sony support!!
jbrinegar likes this.
WildBoar is offline  
post #1373 of 3780 Old 01-12-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,083
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
On gaming, the native 4k sharpness just destroys any of the pixel shifters for sharpness and detail. The difference is huge over the difference you get on any video playback.
It's mainly because rendered content in games is baked down for poly counts, even today they still have to do this (at least for 10 more years, then maybe not).

When you increase the pixel count, you increase the anti-aliasing without reducing the resolution. When you shift the pixel count, you mainly only increase AA and may lose some sharpness. Since the rendered content is already very processed due to baking textures, e-shifting isn't as good in this case, as it is with video content.

Even animated renderings are done without a bake-down for the most part, because they don't have to process it through a limited performance video card, they can use render farms to build the frames individually to get the final product.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #1374 of 3780 Old 01-13-2018, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
2Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I apologize for not reading the whole 46 pages yet. Is there a workaround for memorizing the different aspect ration on this projector?
2Charlie is offline  
post #1375 of 3780 Old 01-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Amazon Warehouse Deals had an open box unit for $2,111.99 today... needless to say I jumped on that (nearly 60% off retail). Worst case scenario I have to return it within 30 days, but hey, looking forward to testing out a true 4k projector. I have the Optoma UHD65 currently and the biggest issues with that are the poor brightness uniformity and poor color contrast, hoping the Sony is more like Epson quality in those regards.
Brian Hampton and dcbrown88 like this.

Last edited by Chaob; 02-21-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Chaob is offline  
post #1376 of 3780 Old 01-13-2018, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,924
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaob View Post
Amazon Warehouse Deals had an open box unit for $2,111.99 today... needless to say I jumped on that (nearly 60% off retail). Worst case scenario I have to return it within 30 days, but hey, looking forward to testing out a true 4k projector. I have the Optoma UHD65 currently and the biggest issues with that are the poor brightness uniformity and poor color contrast, hoping the Sony is more like Epson quality in those regards.
If it is working properly the 285 should completely destroy the Optoma UHD65. The UHD65 has a native contrast in the 1200:1 range according to many testers. Whereas the Sony native contrast is more like 15,000:1. In addition the, UHD65 can only hit Rec 709 color space. The Sony can hit about 93% of DCI P3. That should be very noticeable. The other thing I have noticed about the UHD65 in addition to the very poor contrast is that out of the box the color calibration is horrible. Blues and Greens are off by mile. The Sony if it hasn't been messed with should be very close to calibrated straight out of the box.
GregCh is online now  
post #1377 of 3780 Old 01-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
If it is working properly the 285 should completely destroy the Optoma UHD65. The UHD65 has a native contrast in the 1200:1 range according to many testers. Whereas the Sony native contrast is more like 15,000:1. In addition the, UHD65 can only hit Rec 709 color space. The Sony can hit about 93% of DCI P3. That should be very noticeable. The other thing I have noticed about the UHD65 in addition to the very poor contrast is that out of the box the color calibration is horrible. Blues and Greens are off by mile. The Sony if it hasn't been messed with should be very close to calibrated straight out of the box.
So true, by default the UHD65 greens look neon and there's only so much you can do with calibration... how is that the best they could do one is left wondering. And the contrast... good grief.

I'm aware that the Sony cannot do 4k60 10bit color without banding but I figure realistic colors are more important than HDR. Nor can the Sony do 4k60 4:4:4 chroma like the Optoma but once you set windows scaling to 150-200% to make text legible that doesn't matter much anyway. I really hope this open box unit pans out, 5k would be out of my budget.
Chaob is offline  
post #1378 of 3780 Old 01-14-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaob View Post
I'm aware that the Sony cannot do 4k60 10bit color without banding
Going in eyes wide open like you are, you should not be disappointed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaob View Post
but I figure realistic colors are more important than HDR.
On a projector that may very well be true as they cannot produce the peak brightness for properly effective HDR. But to me, if it is offered as a feature, it should damn well work properly for all supported modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaob View Post
Nor can the Sony do 4k60 4:4:4 chroma like the Optoma
FYI, 4K50/60hz at 4:4:4 chroma will only ever be 8 bit colour anyway. 4:2:2 12 bit is highest chroma for 50/60hz HDR in the HDMI 2.0 spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaob View Post
but once you set windows scaling to 150-200% to make text legible that doesn't matter much anyway. I really hope this open box unit pans out, 5k would be out of my budget.
Imagine how many of these they would sell if they were all 2.5k instead of 5k!
Archibald1 is offline  
post #1379 of 3780 Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
FYI, 4K50/60hz at 4:4:4 chroma will only ever be 8 bit colour anyway. 4:2:2 12 bit is highest chroma for 50/60hz HDR in the HDMI 2.0 spec.
Correct but that's if you have an 18gbps port and internal circuitry. The issue with the Sony is that they only have a 13.5gbps port / circuitry so 4k60hz 4:4:4 8bit is unreachable. The best you can do in 13.5gbps of bandwidth is 4k60hz 4:2:0 8bit which at native res results in text against white having magenta and blue halos / looking a bit fuzzy.
Chaob is offline  
post #1380 of 3780 Old 01-14-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaob View Post
Correct but that's if you have an 18gbps port and internal circuitry. The issue with the Sony is that they only have a 13.5gbps port / circuitry so 4k60hz 4:4:4 8bit is unreachable. The best you can do in 13.5gbps of bandwidth is 4k60hz 4:2:0 8bit which at native res results in text against white having magenta and blue halos / looking a bit fuzzy.
Hi.
8 bit will never be HDR anyway as there are not enough brightness levels at that bit depth to properly express the dynamic range of HDR, hence the minimum of 10 bit colour for UHD HDR.
The best signal at 13.5Gbps is actually 4k 50/60hz 12bit 4:2:0.
That doesn't help with the banding on these Sony's, as they internally process these high colour depths at high frame rates as 8 bit even though setting HDMI to 'enhanced' allows the input of up to a 4K 60hz 4:2:0 12bit signal.

That magenta and blue halo you mention also translates to normal video content. Skin tones look like the person has sea sickness at 4K 60hz, but simply change the refresh to 30hz and they look healthy again.
Dave Harper likes this.
Archibald1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
12v trigger , automation , directv and vpl-vw285es , vpl-vw285es

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off