Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31262Likes

post #2971 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
Thanks!!!

So far good on the software and steps to take seem straight forward besides the name thing above.

Current issue is the projector can't obtain an ip address. I have my media rack connected to a 4port switch that runs to my main 16port switch for the house. The receiver, Xbox, and other hardware all on the same 4port switch obtain ip address and function properly.

Just a little confused why the jvc is not connecting.

More investigating continues.
Mine gets its IP from my DHCP server with no problem. And I have that server set to push a fixed IP to it based on the JVC's MAC for my convenience of always knowing what it is.

Pretty sure the JVC allows setting a fixed IP in its config page, I just never had to do it.

Gotta get the networking issues resolved. And all the potential complexities of that go well beyond a 'JVC owners' topic.

== below mentioned just in case any concern that non-trivial network topology can be a concern. not for me
JVC - ClosetSwitch - Router/DHCP : with JVC on 10.11 net

And, merely FYI, the client computer (a Win7 VM) where I run JVC Autocal and the JVC Projector Tools python is:
VM - BedroomSwitch - ClosetSwitch - Router - JVC : with VM on 10.12 net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
My X990, not unlike its predecessor models, isn't perfect here. We know JVCs struggle with resolving digital 17 and with their reference contrast, tend to crush blacks. An appreciable portion of the information displayed can be lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I think you have some calibrations issues going on because JVCs do not crush black or shadow details - I've seen you state this before as well. I've used three different JVC calibrated projectors without these issues. Have you considered someone like Chad B out?
I've never found any issues with black crush on any of the JVC models I've owned. Our eyes have limitations in resolving dark detail when other brighter objects are nearby. This can be a blessing in hiding defects like bright corners, streaking, and reflections but it also hinders calibration with certain patterns. Any patterns which simultaneously display bright elements like text labels on the screen will not work well for calibrating signal levels 17-18 on very high-contrast displays.

I suggest checking out these patterns I made for the OLED TV folks. You should be able to resolve down to 17 even with the default brightness and contrast settings when up close to the screen. Those lower levels are supposed to be very dark if your display is correctly tracking 2.4 gamma.
Aztar35 likes this.
post #2973 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post
My Vertex picks the right mode (SDR, 1000 nit, 4000 nit) based on content and....well, I am amazed how well it works, the occasional bug aside.
Sounds nice, Ix.

I intend to get to that. But for now I've just set the Vertex aside and will wait for other hardy pioneers to do the shake down work and a few more firmware updates from HDFury.

I did find it immensely useful, however, in seeing the exact HDMI signal and HDR meta data being sent while I was working on calibration issues.

==
"Is that program content 4000nit? 1000nit? Other? Tell me all-knowing Vertex."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2974 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
Quote:
Thanks!!!

So far good on the software and steps to take seem straight forward besides the name thing above.

Current issue is the projector can't obtain an ip address. I have my media rack connected to a 4port switch that runs to my main 16port switch for the house. The receiver, Xbox, and other hardware all on the same 4port switch obtain ip address and function properly.

Just a little confused why the jvc is not connecting.

More investigating continues.
Mine gets its IP from my DHCP server with no problem. And I have that server set to push a fixed IP to it based on the JVC's MAC for my convenience of always knowing what it is.

Pretty sure the JVC allows setting a fixed IP in its config page, I just never had to do it.

Gotta get the networking issues resolved. And all the potential complexities of that go well beyond a 'JVC owners' topic. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

== below mentioned just in case any concern that non-trivial network topology can be a concern. not for me
JVC - ClosetSwitch - Router/DHCP : with JVC on 10.11 net

And, merely FYI, the client computer (a Win7 VM) where I run JVC Autocal and the JVC Projector Tools python is:
VM - BedroomSwitch - ClosetSwitch - Router - JVC : with VM on 10.12 net
Well I'm stuck leaving the house with the wifey for Christmas duties lol.

But in was able to sneak in a little more time with the projector. In the end, I had to set a specific ip address for the projector to connect to the internet correctly. Don't know why using the dhcp setting it could not auto config and pull it's own ip address.

Now that's resolved, onto the config files when I get home

Drive Fast Take Chances
Speakers: Klipsch KLF 30's, Klipsch C-7, Klipsch RS-52, Klipsch RP-250S, Klipsch RP-140SA; Sub's: 2 x HSU VTF 3.3's
Receiver: Denon X7200; Bluray Player: Xbox One X
Projector: JVC RS440K; Screen: Elite Screens Sable Frame 100-inch 16:9
post #2975 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Sounds nice, Ix.

I intend to get to that. But for now I've just set the Vertex aside and will wait for other hardy pioneers to do the shake down work and a few more firmware updates from HDFury.

I did find it immensely useful, however, in seeing the exact HDMI signal and HDR meta data being sent while I was working on calibration issues.

==
"Is that program content 4000nit? 1000nit? Other? Tell me all-knowing Vertex."
Yeah, it's great for that. I have mine hooked up to my HTPC (USB power) even though chain-wise it's in between my AVR and PJ - makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot, update firmware, etc.

The new 1.9 firmware is out (I think you can only get the link in the Vertex thread right now, it's not on their page last I looked) and fixes a lot of auto-sensing problems. HDFury always takes a while to truly dial the firmware in but to their credit they work very well with owners and are always pushing features. We have the JVC RS-232 macro support solely because of members here.

Quote:
Well I'm stuck leaving the house with the wifey for Christmas duties lol.

But in was able to sneak in a little more time with the projector. In the end, I had to set a specific ip address for the projector to connect to the internet correctly. Don't know why using the dhcp setting it could not auto config and pull it's own ip address.

Now that's resolved, onto the config files when I get home
My RS540 doesn't work with DHCP either, I had to hard set an address, for what it's worth.
post #2976 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Quoted: 6891 Post(s)
Liked: 6579
ARVE TOOL INSTRUCTIONS
EASY / FAST METHOD

UPDATE AUGUST 2018 - 85 NITS PEAK VERSIONS FOR ARVE AND AUTOCAL - SEE HERE

UPDATE FEBRUARY 2018 - V3 CURVES ADDED - SEE THIS FOLLOWING POST FOR WHATS CHANGED

• I have placed everything you need in one folder on my Dropbox, it includes the tool, the curves, and Python:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t78y40ijf...4Qr3jevra?dl=0

If you want to download things individually...

• Download these instructions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgqotnzpud...TIONS.pdf?dl=1

• Download the Arve Tool.
https://github.com/arvehj/jvcprojectortools/archive/master.zip

• Download the Arve curves for 1000nit and 4000nit peak white, put them in the same directory as the extracted Arve tool software.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vyu55o5he...urves.zip?dl=1

V2 Curves (January 2018) - 0 nits black level (Bar 64 is now black on the pattern) / Tweaked Highlight Rolloff / 1000 nit curve is now 1200 nit curve.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0c0t9fmo2...%20v2.zip?dl=1

V3 Curves (FEBRUARY 2018) - 0 nits black level (Bar 64 is now black on the pattern) / Tweaked Highlight Rolloff considerably / 1200 nit and 4000 nit curve.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbwz9fyt62...%20v3.zip?dl=1

V3 - 85 Nit Curves (AUGUST 2018) - 0 nits black level, these curves are very similar to the 100nit v3 curves but are designed for those with only 85nits peak white output. There is still a 1200 and 4000 nits version, both Arve versions (recommended so you can set perfect black level) and autocal upload versions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqfg76574j...Curves.zip?dl=1

• Install python. Its the framework the Arve tool is built with, there is also an OSX version it seems but I have no idea if Arve tool will work on OSX.
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/python-3.6.3.exe

When you install it successfully, then Menu.py icon should look like this, and not just a white blank icon.

• Again, Make sure the extracted curves are in the same folder as the Arve tool files.

Select one of the USER Picture modes on the projector and set it up for HDR, copy the settings your HDR preset is using into this mode, that is because if you select the factory HDR picture mode you will errors in the tool when you try to write the Gamma tables since the tool does not recognise the 'new' HDR picture modes these projectors have. And then select a Gamma slot, Custom 1 / Custom 2 / Custom 3 Gamma - Do this with the JVC Remote..

So for my USER 2 profile, it looks like this:

• Make sure in the custom gamma slot you have selected on the projector you select Correction Value ‘IMPORT’

• Then open menu.py on the PC

A dos window will open,

• type lf 1000nit
(or, lf1200nitv2 or, lf1200nitv3 and so on for whichever files you are trying to loan in at the time - LOWER case L)

• then type Pw (case sensitive) to write the file to the projector.

• It should ask you for your projectors IP address, enter it, and it should work.

• Then on the JVC, select another gamma slot, Custom 2 IMPORT or Custom 3 IMPORT gamma slot, your choice,

• Type lf 4000nit

• Type Pw to write that gamma to the projector.

• You may get an error indicating the Arve tool does not recognise the projector picture mode and if you want to write anyway, just hit ignore. The newest models are not written into the Arve software just yet. If you g et this error make sure you are in a USER picture mode, these modes have less issues.

You are done.

OPTIONAL STEP
SETTING CORRECT BLACK LEVELS

UPDATE - USE THE V2 CURVES AND SET BBO FOR BAR 64 BLACK - BAR 68 FLASHING.

Please see the Waveform thread for more info on why.

HDR UHD Bluray Waveform Analysis

The only thing you may need to do is adjust your black level clipping with a pattern, (Masciola Pattern clip bar 77 and flash bar 81) or Sony 7669 HDR Pattern make bar 0.005 nits black.

I highly recommend buying the Masciola HDR10 Digital Pattern Suite, its $25USD. Small price to pay to get your HDR working the best it can:

http://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/dvs_products.html

If using the Masciola suite, use the pattern 02. BLACK CLIPPING_2_HDR10 to set your BLACK level to bar 64, meaning Bar 68 is very faintly blinking.

You may also want to check using the brightness control on the JVC once you have done that, how many clicks it will take you to reach bar 64 black (bar 68 blinking) since a very small portion of titles have raised blacks.

If you dont want to purchase the suite, all SONY UHD Discs have a secret calibration menu. While the UHD Disc is playing the main menu, type 7669 on the remote in quick succession, then a bunch of patterns should play, it will show a bunch of single colours first, hit next chapter until you see this pattern:

On the Sony pattern, bar 0.005 is what we want to be our BLACK bar, adjust until the next bar up is very faintly visible.

Now to adjust the black level in the Arve tool when you have your chosen pattern open:

To do that you will need the tool open and be looking at a pattern on the JVC. enter the changes, then type Pw again to write it to the projector live, and you can see what it did, still too dark, then try again, different value etc..
If you find the black levels are wrong, best check this with an HDR pattern, then you need to type ‘ga’ then ‘bbo’ after you use the ‘lf’ command and play with the values (these default to 0.0016 - try 0.002 to make the blacks brighter, and 0.001 to make them darker etc...)

That scenario would look like this:

Again you may get an error here, just hit ignore. Or if it asks to write anyway, hit YES.

I put these instructions into a PDF inside the Arve Curves zip file.

If you have a question please dont PM me about it, ask here in the open forum. I might not have the time to directly answer a ton of PM's
Clark Burk, Spizz, johng and 48 others like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 03-07-2019 at 07:36 PM.
post #2977 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 526
That's funny, why is it only in commandline? It seems to me, for the limited functions it provides, you should build a small GUI around that.

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+
post #2978 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Here it is guys...
Thanks Javs! We need to make that post sticky somehow...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Highjinx and Dandlj like this.

Last edited by zax123; 11-26-2017 at 03:04 PM.
post #2979 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Excellent Javs.

Video would be nice too!
Haiej, Nexgen76 and woodhead2 like this.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #2980 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zax123 View Post
Thanks Javs! We need to make that post sticky somehow...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
No probs.

I just edited my whole instructions, can you edit your post where you quote my old instructions?

You are too fast

These instructions are now in a nice clean PDF inside the Arve Curves zip file.

thx.
zorax2, TKNice and Haiej like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #2981 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ARVE TOOL Instructions PDF here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5dui0jisj...TIONS.pdf?dl=0
johng and Haiej like this.

-
post #2982 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
Excellent Javs.

Video would be nice too!
Nope

I cant hold all your hands that much.
Highjinx, TKNice, Haiej and 2 others like this.

-
post #2983 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Thank you Javs. Very nice.

PS... the 2nd link for the dropbox did not wok for me. I got an error message. Maybe it's a problem on my end.
Fixed.

-
post #2984 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
With that URL, the ...dl=0, it presents a truncated PDF in my browser.

Changing it to ...dl=1 it then downloaded the PDF as I desired.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5dui0jisj...TIONS.pdf?dl=1

==
Thank you, Javs.
post #2985 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With that URL, the ...dl=0, it presents a truncated PDF in my browser.

Changing it to ...dl=1 it then downloaded the PDF as I desired.

==
Thank you, Javs.
Fixed again, thanks.

-
post #2986 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
ARVE TOOL INSTRUCTIONS
EASY / FAST METHOD

https://github.com/arvehj/jvcproject...ive/master.zip

• Download these curves if you haven't done so already, put them in the same directory as the Arve tool software.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4of1twv73c...urves.zip?dl=1

• Install python. Its the framework the Arve tool is built with,
https://www.python.org/downloads/

When you install it, then Menu.py icon should look like this,

• Make sure the curves are in the same folder as the arve tool files.

• Make sure your projector is on and is in Custom 1 / Custom 2 / Custom 3 Gamma - Select this with the JVC Remote..

• Make sure in the custom gamma slot you have selected on the projector you select Correction Value ‘IMPORT’

A dos window will open,

• type lf 1000nit

• It should ask you for your projectors IP address, enter it, and it should work.

• Then on the JVC, select another gamma slot, Custom 2 IMPORT or Custom 3 IMPORT gamma slot, your choice,

• Type lf 4000nit

You are done.

OPTIONAL STEP

The only thing you may need to do is adjust your black level clipping with a pattern, (Masciola Pattern clip bar 77 and flash bar 81) or Sony 7669 HDR Pattern make bar 0.005 nits black.

I highly recommend buying the Masciola Digital Pattern Suite, its $25USD. Small price to pay to get your HDR working the best it can:

If using the Masciola suite, use the pattern 02. BLACK CLIPPING_2_HDR10 to set your BLACK level to bar 77, meaning Bar 81 is very faintly clipping.

If you dont want to purchase the suite, all SONY UHD Discs have a secret calibration menu. While the UHD Disc is playing the main menu, type 7669 on the remote in quick succession, then a bunch of patterns should play, it will show a bunch of single colours first, hit next chapter until you see this pattern:

On the Sony pattern, bar 0.005 is what we want to be our BLACK bar, adjust until the next bar up is very faintly visible.

Now to adjust the black level in the Arve tool when you have your chosen pattern open:

To do that you will need the tool open and be looking at a pattern on the JVC. enter the changes, then type Pw again to write it to the projector live, and you can see what it did, still too dark, then try again, different value etc..
If you find the black levels are wrong, best check this with an HDR pattern, then you need to type ‘ga’ then ‘bbo’ after you use the ‘lf’ command and play with the values (these default to 0.0016 - try 0.002 to make the blacks brighter, and 0.001 to make them darker etc...)

If you have a question please dont PM me about it, ask here in the open forum. I might not have the time to directly answer a ton of PM's

There we go you the man.. Everything I need under one guide thank you so much.... Again you the man..
Haiej likes this.
post #2987 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Nope

Ill pay you for the video? lol Actually you can sell it to us
KBMAN, Haiej, woodhead2 and 1 others like this.
post #2988 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
ARVE TOOL INSTRUCTIONS
EASY / FAST METHOD

https://github.com/arvehj/jvcproject...ive/master.zip

• Download these curves if you haven't done so already, put them in the same directory as the Arve tool software.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4of1twv73c...urves.zip?dl=1

• Install python. Its the framework the Arve tool is built with,
https://www.python.org/downloads/

When you install it, then Menu.py icon should look like this,

• Make sure the curves are in the same folder as the arve tool files.

• Make sure your projector is on and is in Custom 1 / Custom 2 / Custom 3 Gamma - Select this with the JVC Remote..

A dos window will open,

• type lf 1000nit

• Type lf 4000nit

You are done.

OPTIONAL STEP

I highly recommend buying the Masciola Digital Pattern Suite, its $25USD. Small price to pay to get your HDR working the best it can:

If using the Masciola suite, use the pattern 02. BLACK CLIPPING_2_HDR10 to set your BLACK level to bar 77, meaning Bar 81 is very faintly clipping.

Thanks Javs that is a great write up. This may be a silly question but are there custom Arve curves for SDR or is it best to just use one of the Gamma presets?
Haiej likes this.
post #2989 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Thanks Javs that is a great write up. This may be a silly question but are there custom Arve curves for SDR or is it best to just use one of the Gamma presets?
There are no 'curves' for SDR... the best curve for SDR is a flat line

Power Gamma 2.3 or 2.4.

-
post #2990 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Stupid questions: I can’t load these with the JVC software can I? How do you decide which curve to use? Is there a way to set the PJ to default to a custom gamma or do I need to program some harmony macros?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2991 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
There are no 'curves' for SDR... the best curve for SDR is a flat line [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Power Gamma 2.3 or 2.4.
Does the tool kit dial in red, blue and green individually to make sure they are equally adjusted to the same clipping values?

JVC X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen (Flexi-White) - ub820 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - Xbone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + AVR-3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - Dayton - BIC Sub
post #2992 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Does the tool kit dial in red, blue and green individually to make sure they are equally adjusted to the same clipping values?
Yes of course, it uses the same table as the 33pt gamma autocal table. Full resolution.

For maximum accuracy, your projectors NORMAL base line gamma needs to be calibrated 33pt with the Autocal software.

The Arve curves are offsets to this baseline gamma and are not based whatsoever on the JVC's ST.2084 gamma. So if that is drooped or drifted, the arve curves are going to be incorrect also.
Haiej likes this.

-
post #2993 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post
Stupid questions: I can’t load these with the JVC software can I? How do you decide which curve to use? Is there a way to set the PJ to default to a custom gamma or do I need to program some harmony macros?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, you need to load these using the Arve tool. You need to use the tool anyway to set your black level if you want to do it right.

In either the projectors HDR picture mode, or any custom mode you make, you can select whatever Gamma table you wish and the projector will respect the selection and not override it.

If you dont use the HD Fury Linker or other device to disable the HDR Autodetection, which is probably most of you, then you should set up the HDR picture mode with these curves sine the pj will switch to that picture profile when it detects HDR.

What I do,

Custom Gamma 1 / CORRECTION LEVEL / IMPORT is my 4000 nit curve.
Custom Gamma 2 / CORRECTION LEVEL / IMPORT is my 1000 nit curve.
Custom Gamma 3 / CORRECTION LEVEL / 2.3 is my SDR Gamma I use for all SDR content.

I leave it in Custom 1 majority of the time, or when I feel the content is a bit on the dark side (usually indicating the title is actually 1000nits not 4000) then its a quick hit on the menu button and then just hitting 'right' on the gamma tab and it will select custom 2. Couple clicks, really quick.

You could also obviously check the info screen to see MaxFALL/MaxCLL and if they are both well under 4000 nits then just select the 1000nit curve.

Just remember when you install these curves, and while using them, you NEED to select 'CORRECTION LEVEL' to 'IMPORT' under the respective Custom Gamma slot in the JVC.
JJ7, TKNice, Haiej and 2 others like this.

-

Last edited by Javs; 11-26-2017 at 04:12 PM.
post #2994 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Awesome guide Javs, thanks again. It took me a long time to piece that together on my own and you cleared a couple things up still.

Worth pointing out again that the (optional) section you list re: black level is imho important Also that if anyone wants to go to this level then autocal for baseline gamma, as you also point out, is seriously recommended.

I.e. it's not a magic solution for the average user that just makes HDR "better". The default settings that come with this new PJ line are actually pretty decent..... but if you have a meter, can calibrate gamma, get through using Arve's tool correctly, understand the basics calibrating black levels, etc. and (in my opinion) also have a Vertex so the profiles get loaded automatically and correctly based on the source... then this is the way to go.

If most of that doesn't apply then probably not worth the trouble to do only some of it. Could end up making things look worse, even.
TKNice, CrazyEddie and Haiej like this.
post #2995 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread

Quote:
I leave it in Custom 1 majority of the time
Thanks so much for the excellent write up Javs. My 540 only has 40 hours on it but I plan to do the autocal 33pt at around 200 hours and then go through Arve again. I’ll also buy the digital HDR patterns you recommended.

Do you watch more HDR content than SDR? I would love to be to that point but there’s just too much for me that’s not HDR yet.
Haiej likes this.

Video: JVC RS540 w/Anamorphic Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH
Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One X
7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 EX (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
4 HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X Theater Pics / Desktop
post #2996 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNice View Post
Thanks so much for the excellent write up Javs. My 540 only has 40 hours on it but I plan to do the autocal 33pt at around 200 hours and then go through Arve again. I’ll also buy the digital HDR patterns you recommended.

Do you watch more HDR content than SDR? I would love to be to that point but there’s just too much for me that’s not HDR yet.

Nah most of what I watch is SDR since I watch a lot of stuff I have already owned over the years from bluray.

FYI the Arve tool once done never needs to be run again after you have done any calibration work.

I works on offsets to the existing baseline gamma and assumes from the start that your gamma is correct.

So there is no right time to play around with the arve tool, just jump in!
Haiej likes this.

-
post #2997 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nope

I tried to answer this on my own, but to no avail so I apologize in advance for asking / needing a little hand holding.

These are the two errors I got when trying to push a gamma profile to my projector.

This is the first error with just the projector on, nothing else.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arve Tool Error.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	2321580

After the first error, I thought maybe I needed a source to be on, just like how the JVC auto cal software will not connect to the projector unless there is a source input. After turning on a source, this is the second error I got when trying to push the gamma profile.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arve Tool Error #2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	2321582

I followed the pdf directions to the letter. I'm at a loss for what I am doing wrong. I bet its something small and stupid, but I can't figure it out.

Drive Fast Take Chances
Speakers: Klipsch KLF 30's, Klipsch C-7, Klipsch RS-52, Klipsch RP-250S, Klipsch RP-140SA; Sub's: 2 x HSU VTF 3.3's
post #2998 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
I tried to answer this on my own, but to no avail so I apologize in advance for asking / needing a little hand holding.

These are the two errors I got when trying to push a gamma profile to my projector.

This is the first error with just the projector on, nothing else.

Attachment 2321580

After the first error, I thought maybe I needed a source to be on, just like how the JVC auto cal software will not connect to the projector unless there is a source input. After turning on a source, this is the second error I got when trying to push the gamma profile.

Attachment 2321582

I followed the pdf directions to the letter. I'm at a loss for what I am doing wrong. I bet its something small and stupid, but I can't figure it out.

Do you have the picture mode set to user 1 or one of the other user locations when you run Arve?

Video: JVC RS540 w/Anamorphic Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH
Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One X
7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 EX (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
4 HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X Theater Pics / Desktop
post #2999 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 07:21 PM

I've not encountered either of those.

But, here's how I got success.

JVC on with a signal being fed to it which will neither go off nor change modes during 'the operation'.

Set JVC to User 1 Gamma Custom 1. (Or 'x' instead of "1" per your preference.)

*Then* start the Arve tool, load the .conf and write it to the JVC.

NOTE: I usually "ping" the JVC before starting the Arve tool just to ensure no network issues are present.
post #3000 of 12210 Old 11-26-2017, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNice View Post
Do you have the picture mode set to user 1 or one of the other user locations when you run Arve?
I'm an idiot.

Picture mode wasn't on user 1 or user 2. Could of sworn I had it on those modes.... but it was a long day of Christmas shopping so my mind is a little warped.

SIGH

both 1000nit and 4000nit are now pushed to the projector. Time for black adjustments

Thank you for your help!!!

So last question would be, how does ones decide if the 1000nit or 4000nit is more appropriate? Is it just preference or depends on how the HDR was mastered on the bluray? I assume I'd figure it out by switching between the two and seeing which one looks better while watching a movie. Just curious if there is a easier way to know before hand.
TKNice and Haiej like this.

Drive Fast Take Chances

Last edited by Dalumberjack; 11-26-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page