Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31045Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3001 of 11678 Old 11-26-2017, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 470 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6703 Post(s)
Liked: 6339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
I'm an idiot.



Picture mode wasn't on user 1 or user 2. Could of sworn I had it on those modes.... but it was a long day of Christmas shopping so my mind is a little warped.


SIGH

both 1000nit and 4000nit are now pushed to the projector. Time for black adjustments

Thank you for your help!!!


So last question would be, how does ones decide if the 1000nit or 4000nit is more appropriate? Is it just preference or depends on how the HDR was mastered on the bluray? I assume I'd figure it out by switching between the two and seeing which one looks better while watching a movie. Just curious if there is a easier way to know before hand.
Yeah the Ignore screen is still going to come up because of the 9900 units not being coded into the Arve software just yet, so I should add that step to my guide soon, will do. You will need to hit ignore in all cases when that screen comes up.

but yeah I was otherwise thinking you may not have been in the right mode.

The good news is, it seems the Arve software will NOT overwrite any gamma tables that it simply is not allowed to write to, that is good.

As for the curves, well, your JVC INFO screen will tell you the nit mastering of the HDR content you are watching, so when the movie starts thats a good tell, MaxCLL I think it is, if that is below 1000 nits then you should use the 1000 nit curve, if its above 1000, use the 4000 nit curve.

Check out this spreadsheet and see how many 4000 nit titles are out there, a lot. I would say you definitely want to keep that curve around, but I can also say unfortunately there are also some damned dim 1000 nit titles around, so both curves IMHO are a must right now with HDR being slightly in its infancy in general.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Iccob6fRe85_A/

IMO all titles should be 4000nit titles with black level set to 0.005 nits, end of story. That would solve a TON of headache.
IMDave likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3002 of 11678 Old 11-26-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,247
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2515 Post(s)
Liked: 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post

IMO all titles should be 4000nit titles with black level set to 0.005 nits, end of story. That would solve a TON of headache.
It still baffles me there was no standardization from all of the studios before the format launched.
DavidHir is offline  
post #3003 of 11678 Old 11-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dalumberjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Santa Clara County
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Yeah the Ignore screen is still going to come up because of the 9900 units not being coded into the Arve software just yet, so I should add that step to my guide soon, will do. You will need to hit ignore in all cases when that screen comes up.

but yeah I was otherwise thinking you may not have been in the right mode.

The good news is, it seems the Arve software will NOT overwrite any gamma tables that it simply is not allowed to write to, that is good.

As for the curves, well, your JVC INFO screen will tell you the nit mastering of the HDR content you are watching, so when the movie starts thats a good tell, MaxCLL I think it is, if that is below 1000 nits then you should use the 1000 nit curve, if its above 1000, use the 4000 nit curve.

Check out this spreadsheet and see how many 4000 nit titles are out there, a lot. I would say you definitely want to keep that curve around, but I can also say unfortunately there are also some damned dim 1000 nit titles around, so both curves IMHO are a must right now with HDR being slightly in its infancy in general.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Iccob6fRe85_A/

IMO all titles should be 4000nit titles with black level set to 0.005 nits, end of story. That would solve a TON of headache.


JAVS YOU AND EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH ARVE'S, MAKING THESE CURVES, AND MAKING THE GUIDES TO HELP INSTALL ARE GODS


Not only was I seriously impressed with the image change, my wife for the first time walked in and said, "wow, is this what its supposed to look like? Before it was so dark, but now the picture has life and some soul to it". I honestly think that describes it best, especially since I was using the dark tunnel scene in John Wick 2. Before, you could barely make out anything going on, but now you have decernable details of the tunnel walls, weapons, and lighting that clearly wasnt there before.

I am one happy camper and I honestly couldn't say that before with the HDR performance before the curves.

So again, thank you!

Drive Fast Take Chances
Speakers: Klipsch KLF 30's, Klipsch C-7, Klipsch RS-52, Klipsch RP-250S, Klipsch RP-140SA; Sub's: 2 x HSU VTF 3.3's
Receiver: Denon X7200; Bluray Player: Xbox One X
Projector: JVC RS440K; Screen: Elite Screens Sable Frame 100-inch 16:9
Dalumberjack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3004 of 11678 Old 11-26-2017, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 470 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6703 Post(s)
Liked: 6339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
JAVS YOU AND EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH ARVE'S, MAKING THESE CURVES, AND MAKING THE GUIDES TO HELP INSTALL ARE GODS


Not only was I seriously impressed with the image change, my wife for the first time walked in and said, "wow, is this what its supposed to look like? Before it was so dark, but now the picture has life and some soul to it". I honestly think that describes it best, especially since I was using the dark tunnel scene in John Wick 2. Before, you could barely make out anything going on, but now you have decernable details of the tunnel walls, weapons, and lighting that clearly wasnt there before.

I am one happy camper and I honestly couldn't say that before with the HDR performance before the curves.

So again, thank you!
You are welcome, glad you like them!

It really should be like you are watching SDR for the most part, except the really impressive HDR stuff is still there and only pops out when its supposed to. HDR is not meant to completely draw attention to itself.

For eg, if you watch SDR Bluray in low lamp at -8 or so, or, about 50 nits brightness, and you use these curves for 100 nits, or, 29fl or so, then you will find that the majority of the content is going to feel like you are watching the same SDR brightness you are used to,and that is totally by design, and how HDR is meant to work, and if the film is graded right, things like police lights will be really impressively dynamic and bright.

Patriot Day is a great example. I remember HDR at night in that film really impressing me, I suppose John Wick would no doubt be the same.

I should note there will still be occasions where the title is just flat out generally too dim, and there is nothing else to it, so I guess in those times, you either just need to accept thats how it is, or play with brightness (which you shouldn't have to do at all on any other title), or if you have the Panasonic UB900 play with the HDR Slider in there.

I will say the only titles that ever make me think to do that are some 4k HDR Netflix titles, namely the Marvel ones. I have not encountered a truly great Marvel HDR graded show yet, they all err on the side of being too dim, even when I use the 1000 nit curve. Who ever is doing those shows its not doing it right.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #3005 of 11678 Old 11-26-2017, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 470 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6703 Post(s)
Liked: 6339
Good news is, JVC have authorised my replacement 9900, and are shipping it to me later this week.

They are also sending me a new bulb for my 9500 since I reported to them its only throwing 1200 lumens in torch mode at 800 hours! Luckily the lamp warranty here is 1yr and 1000 hours.

I will definitely literally be holding my breath the first time I hit FOCUS on the remote on the replacement 9900 I can tell you that.

Here's hoping the sample is great, and I can carry out a bit more of a fair analysis of the changes in the new model, and with the new lamp I will have three lamps on hand to see if the brightness issue, if still there is down to lamps or just panels. I think with three lamps on hand, two of them from JVC factory, and one standalone in box will be a good indicator on what's going on. Hoping the 9900 is just going to be bright OOTB like its meant to be.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #3006 of 11678 Old 11-26-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,681
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Good news is, JVC have authorised my replacement 9900, and are shipping it to me later this week.
That's great to hear! I can't wait to hear some more good news once you get it.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #3007 of 11678 Old 11-26-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,681
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Javs, this has happened to me a few times now. I still can't get the Python software to launch on my PC. I initially installed version 3 because my PC is 64 bit. No exec icon, launch. When I double click on the download, it just brings me to the Modify, Repair, Uninstall window. So, I just pinned another version, 3.7, it to my start menu and can open only the Module Docs page which is just a black, blank page with a cursor.

I guess I'm having a compatibility issues still.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #3008 of 11678 Old 11-26-2017, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 470 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6703 Post(s)
Liked: 6339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Javs, this has happened to me a few times now. I still can't get the Python software to launch on my PC. I initially installed version 3 because my PC is 64 bit. No exec icon, launch. When I double click on the download, it just brings me to the Modify, Repair, Uninstall window. So, I just pinned another version, 3.7, it to my start menu and can open only the Module Docs page which is just a black, blank page with a cursor.



I guess I'm having a compatibility issues still.


Once you install python you only need to open menu.py in the Arve tool directory.

Python never needs to be launched by itself.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #3009 of 11678 Old 11-26-2017, 10:35 PM
Senior Member
 
CrazyEddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Javs, this has happened to me a few times now. I still can't get the Python software to launch on my PC. I initially installed version 3 because my PC is 64 bit. No exec icon, launch. When I double click on the download, it just brings me to the Modify, Repair, Uninstall window. So, I just pinned another version, 3.7, it to my start menu and can open only the Module Docs page which is just a black, blank page with a cursor.

I guess I'm having a compatibility issues still.
"double click on the download" - This is an ambiguous statement.

What do you get with "python -V"?

C:\...\jvcprojectortools>python -V
Python 3.6.3

If that shows correctly, then ".\menu.py" with current working directory where you extracted the jvcprojectools will start it up.

Really, if you're just double clicking on something from a GUI you might be encountering grief.

That is a command line tool. Best to open a Console Window (Terminal window) and work with it from there.

Note: If you've just installed Python you'll need to start a new console window to have it, the environment path and all, recognized.
CrazyEddie is offline  
post #3010 of 11678 Old 11-26-2017, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
woofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SwiftsCreek, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,369
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Good news is, JVC have authorised my replacement 9900, and are shipping it to me later this week.
Most excellent news!
woofer is offline  
post #3011 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 02:29 AM
Senior Member
 
jetsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 327
It has probably been asked before but is Arve's tool also working with the Z1?
jetsen is offline  
post #3012 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 470 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6703 Post(s)
Liked: 6339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsen View Post
It has probably been asked before but is Arve's tool also working with the Z1?


Yep, you will get a couple of errors since it wont recognize the projectors model number but if you hit ignore you should be good to go, same case as with these projectors.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #3013 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 02:43 AM
Senior Member
 
jetsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Yep, you will get a couple of errors since it wont recognize the projectors model number but if you hit ignore you should be good to go, same case as with these projectors.
Great, thx for the fast response.

A non related question, we are selling the demo unit of the Z1 (for a ridiculous price)to make room for the new Sony VW760.
Is there a topic on AVS where I can place an add?
jetsen is offline  
post #3014 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
briandx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Lewes DE
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Sorry its me again (Potential X590/X790 owner.)

I looked through the user manual for this series yesterday and I was very happy to see that HDR is now a standard Picture Setting, as well being a Color Profile option for other Picture Modes.

My X550 does not have this and what is well documented in the X750/X550 thread is that HDR sucks on my projector. My first exposure to HDR came earlier this year after I purchased my LG TV and OPPO UHD player. What I like most about the way HDR operates in my system is that the LG senses this mode from the OPPO and automatically switches to the appropriate HDR setting. No fuss and no muss.

Maybe I'm crazy here (especially with the high level of tweaking going on in this thread that I am in awe of) but if I could verify that HDR would work at a reasonable level just out of the box on the X590 (even if I have to manually switch to a mode built for this) I would trade-in my X550 and upgrade to the X590 or even the X790.

What has been the out-of-box HDR performance experiences so far with the 90 series?

Thanks much!

P.S. Just dived deeper into the user manual. It looks like the 90 series will automatically switch to the HDR Picture Mode if the signal is detected from the source. This is exactly what my LG does and what I would want my upgraded JVC to do. Please verify that this actually happens correctly.

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Rogue Pharaoh; Rogue Triton II; Benchmark DAC3 B
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Music Hall mmf-9.3 Turntable; Goldring Eroica LX MCC
Speakers: Harbeth Super HL5plus (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)

Last edited by briandx; 11-27-2017 at 04:59 AM.
briandx is offline  
post #3015 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,681
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Once you install python you only need to open menu.py in the Arve tool directory.

Python never needs to be launched by itself.
That "menu.py" doesn't appear in the Arve tool directory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie View Post
"double click on the download" - This is an ambiguous statement.

What do you get with "python -V"?

C:\...\jvcprojectortools>python -V
Python 3.6.3

If that shows correctly, then ".\menu.py" with current working directory where you extracted the jvcprojectools will start it up.

Really, if you're just double clicking on something from a GUI you might be encountering grief.

That is a command line tool. Best to open a Console Window (Terminal window) and work with it from there.

Note: If you've just installed Python you'll need to start a new console window to have it, the environment path and all, recognized.
Right, and I think you meant, more precisely, it's a vague statement. What is happening is that no launch icon is appearing and neither is the menu.py in the Arves tool. What I was doing was clicking on the downloaded Python file in an effort to open it.

"C:\...\jvcprojectortools>python -V
Python 3.6.3" is not showing up. It's very frustrating. Any suggestions?
Aztar35 is offline  
post #3016 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,681
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
I just tried to re-install Arves tool by going to https://github.com/arvehj/jvcproject...ive/master.zip but now when i click on that link in either Explorer or Chrome, it tells me page not found. What is going on with this?
Aztar35 is offline  
post #3017 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 06:26 AM
Member
 
MDesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I just tried to re-install Arves tool by going to https://github.com/arvehj/jvcproject...ive/master.zip but now when i click on that link in either Explorer or Chrome, it tells me page not found. What is going on with this?
The link is not working on me either, I think the forum has somehow shortened it? Here is the correct one: https://github.com/arvehj/jvcproject...ive/master.zip
Aztar35 likes this.

JVC DLA-RS500
MDesigns is online now  
post #3018 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 06:32 AM
Member
 
glabelle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
You simply can't go wrong with the Panny that is a given and that will give you a nice and accurate picture but if you wish to further enhance it you can always use Arve's it really is easy even though it looks complicated at first.
I am considering the RS640. I was also going to get the Oppo 203. In reading a lot of posts over the last several weeks, I got the impression that the UB900 was a better match because of its ability to handle HDR and HDR to SDR conversion. On the other hand, it does not support Dolby Vision (for which I realize there is little source, as yet).

Can anyone shed light on which player is a better match for the JVC?

Spkrs: C B&W 801, L&R 802S3, DM602 surrounds & rears, 2-Velodyne ULD-15 subs; BDP: Oppo 103d PJ: SP-A800B Room: 23 x 16 x 8.6 acoustic sheet rock, flat black, Tube Traps (2), 12 sound panels
AVR: Yamaha RXV665, L/C/R driven by Marantz 200W monos STB: DirecTV HR44 PJ: SP-A800B Scr: STR-169120-WAB
glabelle17 is offline  
post #3019 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 23,607
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6207 Post(s)
Liked: 6219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Chad has so much experience with JVCs and custom curves. He knows the ins and outs of these projectors as much as anyone. So I would try to find out his next northeast tour and wait it out. Believe it or not, there are known calibrators out there not even using custom curves on the RS400/500/600 models, so I would stick with Chad instead of taking a risk with someone else.
Ya, he is a special guy for sure
Mike_WI and Dalumberjack like this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #3020 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
CrazyEddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
That "menu.py" doesn't appear in the Arve tool directory



Right, and I think you meant, more precisely, it's a vague statement. What is happening is that no launch icon is appearing and neither is the menu.py in the Arves tool. What I was doing was clicking on the downloaded Python file in an effort to open it.

"C:\...\jvcprojectortools>python -V
Python 3.6.3" is not showing up. It's very frustrating. Any suggestions?
Only carefully verifying that the Python installation was successful. Which I expect you've already done.
https://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html

BTW, even though Win7 can run 64bit binaries, you might have better luck with the 32bit flavor there. Win10 should be fine with the 64bit install. (screen clips attached of my install on a Win7pro VM) 64bit in Win7 is known to have some oddities / lack of robustness.

I believe you've referred to "launch icon" a couple of times. And that might be where you and I could be starting to "talk past each other". Since this is not a native "Windows Application", there would not be such. Unzip the files to a directory/location of your choice (right click | "Extract All..."), start a console window (Start Menu | search | cmd), "cd" to the proper directory (cd c:\...\jvcprojectortools), do a "dir" command to verify unzipping was as expected, then execute "menu.py" from the command line - i.e., by typing that. If Python has been correctly/fully installed all the environment variables will have been created to auto-invoke Python when you 'execute' any Python script file.

Note: I saw a possible point of confusion when compiling the screen clips. "Console Window" is very old terminology which, although generic across several operating systems, Microsoft no longer uses. You will see either "Command Prompt", as in the attached clip, or "Windows PowerShell". (I've yet to test with PS but it should work just as well there.)

First step is to ensure Python is properly installed and working.

Then, from a console window go to where you extracted the zip file contents and verify you have the below file list.

C:\...\jvcprojectortools>dir
Volume in drive C is System
Volume Serial Number is 6EA6-1FF0

Directory of C:\...\Arve Tool\jvcprojectortools

11/11/2017 03:21 PM <DIR> .
11/11/2017 03:21 PM <DIR> ..
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 19 .gitignore
11/09/2017 12:03 AM 24,722 14240067_User1_2017-1109-0003 - Copy.cbd
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 647 dumpdata.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 265 eotf.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 863 eotf_bt1886.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 121 eotf_gamma_2_2.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 121 eotf_gamma_2_4.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 505 eotf_hlg.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 600 eotf_pq.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 23,651 jvc_command.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 20,732 jvc_gamma.py
09/18/2017 07:14 PM 7,244 jvc_gamma_1000nit.conf
09/18/2017 07:18 PM 7,139 jvc_gamma_4000nit.conf
11/05/2017 09:35 PM 6,706 jvc_gamma_active.conf
11/11/2017 03:21 PM 7,139 jvc_gamma_written-Custom2.conf
11/11/2017 03:15 PM 7,244 jvc_gamma_written-Custom3.conf
11/11/2017 03:13 PM 38 jvc_network.conf
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 4,845 jvc_network.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 3,936 jvc_protocol.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 11,357 LICENSE
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 31,925 menu.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 14,222 plot.py
03/25/2017 06:30 PM 8,452 README.md
11/05/2017 09:29 PM <DIR> __pycache__
23 File(s) 182,493 bytes
3 Dir(s) 35,953,696,768 bytes free

== edit

On startup of the 'dos box' (another ancient term ) you will merely be presented with the command prompt line of text. "C:\...>"

That attached clip of the "Command Prompt" window is merely showing the successful replies from my JVC to a "ping" command.

I like to prove the VM and the JVC can talk to each other before proceeding with any next steps involving the JVC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 10.39.25 AM.png
Views:	56
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2321730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 10.41.19 AM.png
Views:	62
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	2321732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 10.51.22 AM.png
Views:	70
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	2321798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 10.51.41 AM.png
Views:	73
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	2321800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 10.58.05 AM.png
Views:	92
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	2321802  

Aztar35 and luco_mtb like this.

Last edited by CrazyEddie; 11-27-2017 at 09:13 AM.
CrazyEddie is offline  
post #3021 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
rlarsen462's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Maybe a stupid question, but how do you actually hook up the projector to receive these files, etc.? Via the network cable and connected to your home network/internet? Or network cable directly to a laptop? Or do you have to use direct serial/RS-232 connection to a laptop/computer? I am kind of kicking myself for not running a network/Cat5 cable to the projector along with the HDMI when I pulled cable to the ceiling mount location. :/
rlarsen462 is offline  
post #3022 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Member
 
korn646's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post
Sorry its me again (Potential X590/X790 owner.)

I looked through the user manual for this series yesterday and I was very happy to see that HDR is now a standard Picture Setting, as well being a Color Profile option for other Picture Modes.

My X550 does not have this and what is well documented in the X750/X550 thread is that HDR sucks on my projector. My first exposure to HDR came earlier this year after I purchased my LG TV and OPPO UHD player. What I like most about the way HDR operates in my system is that the LG senses this mode from the OPPO and automatically switches to the appropriate HDR setting. No fuss and no muss.

Maybe I'm crazy here (especially with the high level of tweaking going on in this thread that I am in awe of) but if I could verify that HDR would work at a reasonable level just out of the box on the X590 (even if I have to manually switch to a mode built for this) I would trade-in my X550 and upgrade to the X590 or even the X790.

What has been the out-of-box HDR performance experiences so far with the 90 series?

Thanks much!

P.S. Just dived deeper into the user manual. It looks like the 90 series will automatically switch to the HDR Picture Mode if the signal is detected from the source. This is exactly what my LG does and what I would want my upgraded JVC to do. Please verify that this actually happens correctly.
The PJ does switch automatically to HDR mode when a signal is detected. My screen hasn't arrived yet but even projecting on a white table cloth in the meantime has proven to show great results w/ HDR gaming. Of course, this is my first PJ. Once the screen is up I expect to be amazed.

JVC RS640
Denon 4300 / Panny UB900
Polk TSI500 CS20 RC85i
SVS Prime Satellites / SB13 Ultra x2
korn646 is offline  
post #3023 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
CrazyEddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but how do you actually hook up the projector to receive these files, etc.? Via the network cable and connected to your home network/internet? Or network cable directly to a laptop? Or do you have to use direct serial/RS-232 connection to a laptop/computer? I am kind of kicking myself for not running a network/Cat5 cable to the projector along with the HDMI when I pulled cable to the ceiling mount location. :/
Must be a network / ethernet cable connection.

You can just connect directly to your laptop. If the laptop does not auto-detect/configure itself for direct connection (most will nowadays) versus going through a switch, you'll either need to find an ethernet "crossover" cable or just stick a small/cheap switch in between.

Decent little five port gigabit Ethernet switches from Netgear or TP-Link can be found for about $15. I keep one on the shelf just for this type of ad hoc usage or various testing.

Luckily, when I had this house built back in 2000 I had multiple cat5/Ethernet drops installed to every room of the house (Excluding the bathrooms. ) and on both ends of the 'large' room - the theatre room.
CrazyEddie is offline  
post #3024 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
rprice54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I may try the ARVE stuff after all if the results are that dramatic. Downloading everything now. HDR suite downloading. Spyder on the way from Amazon.

Let me make sure I understand: The Arve/Javs curves primarily adjust gamma settings. If I run the JVC Autocal, in theory, I will have a more accurate gamma curve to base the offsets on. It looks like the JVC Autocal also adjusts color settings. If I do JVC Autocal and then install Arve/Jav curves I'm good to go with HDR- right?.

Any point in Spears and Munsil Disc or will JVC Autocal take care of that stuff in for SDR content as well?

Moving forward I run the Autocal as needed to account for bulb age, but everything else stays the same, correct?
rprice54 is offline  
post #3025 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 10:32 AM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by glabelle17 View Post
I am considering the RS640. I was also going to get the Oppo 203. In reading a lot of posts over the last several weeks, I got the impression that the UB900 was a better match because of its ability to handle HDR and HDR to SDR conversion. On the other hand, it does not support Dolby Vision (for which I realize there is little source, as yet).

Can anyone shed light on which player is a better match for the JVC?
The Panasonic is the better player for PJs. You don't care about DV for Projectors because none of them support it, and probably won't for the foreseeable future. The Panny, overall, is a better player - and I say this as someone who owns both.

The Oppo is a good match for, say, an LG OLED, if DV is desired (with an LG OLED I assume the answer to that is yes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post
I may try the ARVE stuff after all if the results are that dramatic. Downloading everything now. HDR suite downloading. Spyder on the way from Amazon.

Let me make sure I understand: The Arve/Javs curves primarily adjust gamma settings. If I run the JVC Autocal, in theory, I will have a more accurate gamma curve to base the offsets on. It looks like the JVC Autocal also adjusts color settings. If I do JVC Autocal and then install Arve/Jav curves I'm good to go with HDR- right?.

Any point in Spears and Munsil Disc or will JVC Autocal take care of that stuff in for SDR content as well?

Moving forward I run the Autocal as needed to account for bulb age, but everything else stays the same, correct?
Autocal doesn't take care of "regular" calibration. At a minimum you're going to want to use patterns to adjust for crushing and clipping (brightness/contrast) for SDR and HDR both.

Autocal can do color correction however the Spyder meters it supports really aren't the best for it. I use Autocal to correct baseline Gamma only.

The pre-made Arve curves adjust Gamma based off a corrected Gamma so if you use them on an uncorrected Gamma that has a slight droop to it the curves will be off as well.

Yes the Arve curves are for adjusting Gamma, specifically for HDR, so that the picture is better tuned to the content and doesn't appear too "dim". They work really well for that specific purpose for most people. As a previous owner of an older model JVC I will say I think they make a more dramatic difference with those models (RS400, 500, 600) than they do with the x40 series (and their x900 equivalents). The new model JVCs do a better job with HDR out of the box though the curves still do work well.

You should pay close attention to the JVC calibration/autocal thread. Other than maybe getting a "bad" Spyder - which can only really be verified against another, better meter - the biggest problem people have is not placing the meter correctly. There's a post on it in the calibration thread.

For SDR I would use patterns - you can use the free ones here at AVS, they work perfectly well - to adjust contrast and brightness so you aren't crushing or clipping, check focus/etc. with a sharpness pattern, and if you have a blue filter (comes with many calibration disks or you can get them super cheap on Amazon) maybe check color with a pattern, though you will probably find it looks accurate enough out of the box with the JVCs. I like Reference Color and Gamma 2.3 myself, with crushing/clipping tuned in, for SDR BD and the like.
Mikenificent1 and korn646 like this.

Last edited by Ix; 11-27-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Ix is offline  
post #3026 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,359
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Good news is, JVC have authorised my replacement 9900, and are shipping it to me later this week..
Congrats... so, if you could, what were the specific issues JVC evaluated which triggered your replacement? Also, I recall it was more than a single issue, so I'm curious if the replacement decision was based on the combination of issues, and any of the issues in isolation might not have been enough to warrant a replacement.

Thanks and I hope you receive a good replacement.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #3027 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 470 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6703 Post(s)
Liked: 6339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Congrats... so, if you could, what were the specific issues JVC evaluated which triggered your replacement? Also, I recall it was more than a single issue, so I'm curious if the replacement decision was based on the combination of issues, and any of the issues in isolation might not have been enough to warrant a replacement.



Thanks and I hope you receive a good replacement.

Hilariously as I knew was going to happen they said the lens and convergence was fine.

They confirmed the eshift buzz though. Hope the new sample doesn’t do that.

What it actually came down to was the manager at JVC reading the report I sent where I compared to my 9500 and based on that just decided to replace the unit in good will.
Spizz, Bytehoven, Highjinx and 2 others like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #3028 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
briandx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Lewes DE
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Well heaven help me I went ahead and ordered an X590. Should be arriving later this week. Given that my X550 performs beautifully in all matters except HDR (which represents 20% of my total viewing) perhaps this could be considered a hasty move. However, given that it has been two years (and two model changes) since my first JVC purchase, and given that there has been quite a lot of HDR performance improvements since the X550 (and to a lesser extent 100 more lumens and E-Shift5) I'm going ahead with this.

Unless a X590 thread pops up I plan to report my findings in this thread if that's OK...

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Rogue Pharaoh; Rogue Triton II; Benchmark DAC3 B
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Music Hall mmf-9.3 Turntable; Goldring Eroica LX MCC
Speakers: Harbeth Super HL5plus (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
briandx is offline  
post #3029 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
rprice54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Hilariously as I knew was going to happen they said the lens and convergence was fine.

They confirmed the eshift buzz though. Hope the new sample doesn’t do that.

What it actually came down to was the manager at JVC reading the report I sent where I compared to my 9500 and based on that just decided to replace the unit in good will.
Quick update. Tried to upload the curves with Arves tool. I'm not sure it worked correctly.

Does it matter if the picture mode is set to HDR or not? Because when I first went through the steps, which worked, it was on Cinema mode. Everything worked like it should. Then I wondered if it needed to be in HDR mode for it to work so I loaded up a disk in the player and tried again, except now I get errors, picture uploaded.

The picture is better and brighter if I set the Gamma to Custom 1 and Import. I can't tell a huge difference between Custom 1 and 2, so I worry something didn't go right. I also get errors when I tried to adjust the black level.

(Should I move this post to the Autocal thread?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen - 1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	2321866  
rprice54 is offline  
post #3030 of 11678 Old 11-27-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mikenificent1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post
Still, HDR is looking very good, and my SDR rips look simply outstanding between the new PJ and MadVR scaling.
Are you saying SDR looks better than HDR in your setup?
Mikenificent1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off