Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 216 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31679Likes

post #6451 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittermidget View Post
Coxy...ironically, I have the X790 and was going through the same process last night. I was getting the same errors as you and spent almost 2 hours trying to connect directly to the laptop and also going through a switch. I finally had success by rebooting my wireless router and then connecting the PJ and laptop to the same network switch. At that point, I turned ON DHCP in the JVC menu and magically, my network assigned the JVC an IP address that was different than the 192.168.0.2 that continually populated before the reboot. After that, ARVE tool worked like a charm using the assigned IP address and the uploads to the PJ were almost instant. 2 hours of troubleshooting, 5 minutes to load curves, and 2 hours enjoying HDR for the first time on this projector as it was intended to look!

As a side note, I never was able to get the direct connection from JVC to laptop to work.

Also, thanks to JAVS and all the helpful folks who did all this hard work on curves and also the tips on getting through the learning curve.
I had plugged my JVC into a switch and pulled a DHCP IP so I didn't notice any difficulty with networking, until in the middle of a tweaking session the projector changed IPs. It was weird. went from .221 to .222. It was also different from the first time I loaded curves. I will just set it static at some point.

@Javs , what I was trying to do was set the black levels using BBO command because I found it odd that I had to go up to like +16 on brightness to see the box above .005 using either curve. Using BBO I had to go up to .025 to see the faint edge of the next box when standing right at the screen, a factor of 10 higher than the .002 you suggested for bumping up brightness. At my seating position I still can't see that box, nor probably the one above it. Is this normal because I am using Low Lamp? After setting the black level using arve tool to be able to see the Sony 6779 test pattern I don't need to adjust brightness to see the test pattern on low lamp. If I do switch to high lamp, however, a night scene looks like a day scene, so I am wondering if I should go back to using brightness instead. Maybe set the BBO on High lamp and then tweak low lamp with brightness. Also not sure if the sony disk is a fair representation of other disks.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I had plugged my JVC into a switch and pulled a DHCP IP so I didn't notice any difficulty with networking, until in the middle of a tweaking session the projector changed IPs. It was weird. went from .221 to .222. It was also different from the first time I loaded curves. I will just set it static at some point.

@Javs , what I was trying to do was set the black levels using BBO command because I found it odd that I had to go up to like +16 on brightness to see the box above .005 using either curve. Using BBO I had to go up to .025 to see the faint edge of the next box when standing right at the screen, a factor of 10 higher than the .002 you suggested for bumping up brightness. At my seating position I still can't see that box, nor probably the one above it. Is this normal because I am using Low Lamp? After setting the black level using arve tool to be able to see the Sony 6779 test pattern I don't need to adjust brightness to see the test pattern on low lamp. If I do switch to high lamp, however, a night scene looks like a day scene, so I am wondering if I should go back to using brightness instead. Maybe set the BBO on High lamp and then tweak low lamp with brightness. Also not sure if the sony disk is a fair representation of other disks.

Thoughts?
You should make separate curves for low lamp and high lamp, because your peak lumens are totally different.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #6453 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
You should make separate curves for low lamp and high lamp, because your peak lumens are totally different.
That makes sense, but I can only save 3 custom curves. I am currently using one for 1200nitv3, one for 4000nitv3, and the third I have not uploaded a curve but I am using it to hold a correction to 2.4 gamma.

Have not figured out yet how to set SDR settings. I will probably use a 1080p calibration disc - I have an old copy of HD Video Essentials from a previous build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6454 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 5031 Post(s)
Liked: 1939
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
That makes sense, but I can only save 3 custom curves. I am currently using one for 1200nitv3, one for 4000nitv3, and the third I have not uploaded a curve but I am using it to hold a correction to 2.4 gamma.
Unless you intend to fine-tune that SDR curve using the 12-pt gamma control, you don't really need to dedicate one of the three custom curves for SDR. There are at least two ways:
  1. Create a custom profile using the Rec709 chromaticity, but specify a gamma of 2.4 instead of 2.2 when creating that custom profile. That way you can even use a meaninful name for the custom profile that reflects what it does.
  2. Use one of the SDR Picture Modes together with one of the three custom gammas, but select gamma 2.4 as the Correction Value. This does not affect the HDR curve that also uses the same custom curve, but used Import as the Correction Value.
ScottAvery likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 06-14-2018 at 03:34 PM.
post #6455 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbouch8828 View Post
I have a new JVC DLA-X790R that I would like to use with a Panamorph ATH2 I have and I am interested in finding out if there are any existing mounting plates for this combination, or it is going to be a custom deal? If I do a custom plate, would plywood be sufficient, or would an aluminum plate be required?
I use a Planor A480 plate. See this link http://www.planar.com/media/211463/p...tions-v2.3.pdf. Page six has a correctly scaled drawing, see the attachment. If you can scale it up to match the JVC mounting dimensions it works really well. See my images below. The problem was I 'hacked' the original plate to fit my BenQ W10000. So now I had to extend it to support the JVC. I originally had it machined from 1/8" aluminum.

PM me if you need more information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jvc mount 3.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	2416144   Click image for larger version

Name:	jvc mount 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	893.3 KB
ID:	2416156  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf planar-a480-pl-instructions-v2.3.pdf (683.2 KB, 6 views)
post #6456 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I left out network instructions because I have zero interest in troubleshooting other peoples home networks, which is what it would have ended up being... Saved myself a lot of headache there believe me.

I have my JVC on a separate Ethernet slot on my actual PC, my PC thankfully has two, I don't have it connected to the router at all, its not even compatible with my network actually.

When I want to connect to the JVC, I disable the main router network adaptor, and enable the JVC network adaptor on my PC, then after a few seconds, the Autocal or Arve software can instantly connect to the JVC, and that is because I set up the JVC IP manually on the PC and the JVC itself pointing to the PC's IP as the gateway.

I too could not get general networking and DHCP working on the JVC, so this was what I had to do to get it working, since then its been flawless process every time I wanna connect to it the PJ.
Finally got my network issues figured out after some more trial and error and was able to load your curves. All I can say is your curves make a huge difference from the standard HDR presets and I haven't even had a chance to tweak my black levels. Great Job and thanks for all the instructions!
Bittermidget and Javs like this.
post #6457 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post
I'm between Harrisburg and Philly, and would love to jump on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Thanks, Paul. And those prices he has are so reasonable.
Jeff looks to be a good guy. I also spoke to somebody today who has used him four times, all very positive. As I have just had it confirmed that ChadB has no timeline to visit my area this year I have just booked with Jeff.

I think that you should both jump on the bandwagon too if you are as desperate as I am.
post #6458 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Have you considered a double mount? Or would that be a single mount? One for the ATH2 and one for the projector.

I am going with a double mount.
I really would like to do it with a single plate for alignment.
post #6459 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Do HDMI cables randomly go a bad? I've been using Monoprice 115431 Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable and it was working fine with occasional hickups. Today, I was playing PS4 (GoW 5 @4k/60) and after almost an hour the signal started going in an out. I changed the input and then it started working again for few mins then it went out again. When it came back the image was covered with pink/purple tint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180614_191028.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2416190  
post #6460 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digione View Post
I use a Planor A480 plate. See this link http://www.planar.com/media/211463/p...tions-v2.3.pdf. Page six has a correctly scaled drawing, see the attachment. If you can scale it up to match the JVC mounting dimensions it works really well. See my images below. The problem was I 'hacked' the original plate to fit my BenQ W10000. So now I had to extend it to support the JVC. I originally had it machined from 1/8" aluminum.

Are you talking about just using the AKPro plate by itself? If so, is it available separately? I have sent emails to Panamorph asking them about a plate, but they have not replied.
post #6461 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you talking about just using the AKPro plate by itself? If so, is it available separately? I have sent emails to Panamorph asking them about a plate, but they have not replied.
Yes, I used just the plate. I scaled their drawing to the correct size as it supports numerous projectors including the JVC and BenQ. I then had a machine shop make it for me. I do not know if the plate is still available. The original kit I received was from Optoma, as they were selling off the UH380 and sled at a ridiculous price, unfortunately the plate they supplied with the kit was only suited to their projectors.
post #6462 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
I really would like to do it with a single plate for alignment.
I looked at doing a plate myself but you are going to have to get perfect alignment of both the JVC mounting points and the projector mount point...although the Chief is pretty easy to align. I have no access to heavy enough machining tools to do it so I would have to find someone to do it for me.

A single mount for the sled I can make with a sturdy piece of wood and a couple of chief 5" ceiling plates.
post #6463 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, I used just the plate. I scaled their drawing to the correct size as it supports numerous projectors including the JVC and BenQ. I then had a machine shop make it for me. I do not know if the plate is still available. The original kit I received was from Optoma, as they were selling off the UH380 and sled at a ridiculous price, unfortunately the plate they supplied with the kit was only suited to their projectors.
Are those plates still available somewhere?
post #6464 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12710 Post(s)
Liked: 10331
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Much easier to just build a separate support system for the A-lens, then you can make it so that it works for any projector. Here is mine. I have a powered slide. Have used it with three different projectors. One of those was the much larger RS4500, first picture and second picture is with RS640.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RS4500 with A-lens.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	2416244   Click image for larger version

Name:	RS640.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	840.1 KB
ID:	2416246  
post #6465 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I looked at doing a plate myself but you are going to have to get perfect alignment of both the JVC mounting points and the projector mount point...although the Chief is pretty easy to align. I have no access to heavy enough machining tools to do it so I would have to find someone to do it for me.

A single mount for the sled I can make with a sturdy piece of wood and a couple of chief 5" ceiling plates.
Does not take heavy tools. I built one years ago. Just bought 1/4" thick aluminum plate. Laid out the holes and drilled then tapped the holes using a hand drill. After that I got smarter and just built a separate support for my A-lens that works with any projector that I would buy.
post #6466 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Does not take heavy tools. I built one years ago. Just bought 1/4" thick aluminum plate. Laid out the holes and drilled then tapped the holes using a hand drill. After that I got smarter and just built a separate support for my A-lens that works with any projector that I would buy.
LOL!!! And that is why I am getting smarter first and building a separate support for mine instead of going the plate route.
post #6467 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Random post, but what has everyone found to be the most impressive content to be viewed on this amazing projector?

Transformers Last Night looks so good in some parts it's truly mind blowing. However today I checked out Tomb Raider -- and as far as color gamut usage and HDR, it might take the cake. What are your favorites?

FS: Piano Black Martin Logan Motion 35XT, 50XT, 60XT, and Motion 4i
post #6468 of 12779 Old 06-14-2018, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked: 4758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
Random post, but what has everyone found to be the most impressive content to be viewed on this amazing projector?

Transformers Last Night looks so good in some parts it's truly mind blowing. However today I checked out Tomb Raider -- and as far as color gamut usage and HDR, it might take the cake. What are your favorites?
For HDR colors: "Thor Ragnarok" and "Coco". For blacks: "Passangers" and "Blade Runner 2049". For Blacks and Vivid HDR colors: "The Greatest Showman". For Dolby Atmos and HDR: "It".

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #6469 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:

Yeah that Transformers looks stunning. Heck, it looks stunning in 1080p, too (I did a back-to-back comparison).

Blue Planet II 4K and Planet Earth II 4K (well, the parts that are actually 4K) look stunning, too.

Last edited by WilliamG; 06-15-2018 at 03:03 AM.
post #6470 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5378 Post(s)
Liked: 3495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
Do HDMI cables randomly go a bad?
Yes.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6471 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5378 Post(s)
Liked: 3495
Quote:

Lucy, and any SciFi with good space scenes. The 53:30 mark in interstellar (starfield scene) is so awesome on this projector. Looks like a plasma tv.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6472 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Much easier to just build a separate support system for the A-lens, then you can make it so that it works for any projector. Here is mine. I have a powered slide. Have used it with three different projectors. One of those was the much larger RS4500, first picture and second picture is with RS640.
I could probably do something like that for my room. I'd like to keep everything as high as possible, because I have a platform for raised seating below.
post #6473 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I could probably do something like that for my room. I'd like to keep everything as high as possible, because I have a platform for raised seating below.
If using an A-lens, then you want the projector lens, close to the top or bottom of the image. As an example, the current generation of Panamorph lens needs to be within 15% of image height. So you can't mount too high above the image.
post #6474 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are those plates still available somewhere?
I suppose you would need to contact Planar or Panamorph to see if they have anything left in stock.

Unfortunately I no longer have the CAD file for the plate.
post #6475 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Why? It just weird. Now I will have to pull out the cable from the wall .

Ordered Monoprice HOSS Active High Speed HDMI Cable this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Yes.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #6476 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mike, do you have a post anywhere that describes the build for your mounts, specifically the adjustable rails? If not could you explain how you have it mounted? It looks like you have the Chief joist spanners attached to another rail running along the joist for full 3d movement.
post #6477 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I suppose you would need to contact Planar or Panamorph to see if they have anything left in stock.

Unfortunately I no longer have the CAD file for the plate.
No plates available from either. I have the plate layout.
post #6478 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you use regular box rails for the front/back run? I got some at Home Depot about 12-years ago and when I went back this week they did not carry them any more. The ones they have now seem a lot thinner and lighter but they are rated at 400+lbs so maybe they learned to make them with lighter alloys.
post #6479 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Did you use regular box rails for the front/back run? I got some at Home Depot about 12-years ago and when I went back this week they did not carry them any more. The ones they have now seem a lot thinner and lighter but they are rated at 400+lbs so maybe they learned to make them with lighter alloys.
I have two pieces of unistrut on my ceiling.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superstrut-...rut/1000182121
post #6480 of 12779 Old 06-15-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have two pieces of unistrut on my ceiling.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superstrut-...rut/1000182121
Well damn! Those are cheaper and seem sturdier. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page