Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 309 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31167Likes

post #9241 of 12003 Old 11-02-2018, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Your iris -0 numbers should be almost identical, why are they so different?

Question, did you ever try any custom curves at all before Chad came?
Could it be the SDR mode was setup for 16fl and HDR set for max nits?

I was not interested in trying curves until i had a full calibration, but your curves have helped many owners not taking their projectors that far.

I was also concerned about the spyder accuracy lottery, and as it turned out my spyder 5 while very good with a 709 and 2020 profiles, was not very good out of the box. At best i would have had deltas around 9 on red and green, while white and blue where around 1-2. Even a pretty good spyder has room for correction to get best performance.

Chad brought about $20k worth of sensors to the session, how can one compete with that level of precision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9242 of 12003 Old 11-02-2018, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Could it be the SDR mode was setup for 16fl and HDR set for max nits?

I was not interested in trying curves until i had a full calibration, but your curves have helped many owners not taking their projectors that far.

I was also concerned about the spyder accuracy lottery, and as it turned out my spyder 5 while very good with a 709 and 2020 profiles, was not very good out of the box. At best i would have had deltas around 9 on red and green, while white and blue where around 1-2. Even a pretty good spyder has room for correction to get best performance.

Chad brought about $20k worth of sensors to the session, how can one compete with that level of precision?
I am not looking at your -9 16fl setting for SDR, I am looking at your -0 iris numbers for HDR and SDR, you have a delta of 22,000:1 between them, that is HIGHLY unusual. I would ask Chad why that is... I would love to hear the reason. If they are both calibrated to D65 they should be within a couple thou to 1, or identical essentially... not 22k apart. Unless he purposefully calibrated to a non D65 white point, even then, I dont see it adding a full 22k:1 to your contrast numbers, maybe 5k at best going from 6500 to 7500.

Spyders are usually fine for gamma calibration. A gamma calibration is needed from anybody who owns a JVC by the time you hit about 200 hours, and then again every few hundred hours until the unit gets near 1000 hours, or about a year... after that, the gamma droop will stabilise.

You have probably only had gamma droop for a relatively short time, you had a few hundred hours there at the beginning you could have tried curves and still had pretty accurate gamma

A delta e of 9 on your Spyder? You had one of the worst units out there if that's the case. I have two Spyders and an iDisplay Pro, they all seem to agree within a range of 1-2 dE on all measurements, which is pretty close to not being perceptible by the eye...

Not trying to shoot down Chads work whatsoever, quite the contrary, but also, he is not 'needed' to get a good image, which your recent posts are inferring. I did try to tell you the time you spent on tweaking the default ST2084 gamma was a bit of a waste when you could have played around and loaded some custom curves within an hour.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 11-02-2018 at 06:57 PM.
post #9243 of 12003 Old 11-03-2018, 01:10 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:
I am not looking at your -9 16fl setting for SDR, I am looking at your -0 iris numbers for HDR and SDR, you have a delta of 22,000:1 between them, that is HIGHLY unusual. I would ask Chad why that is... I would love to hear the reason. If they are both calibrated to D65 they should be within a couple thou to 1, or identical essentially... not 22k apart. Unless he purposefully calibrated to a non D65 white point, even then, I dont see it adding a full 22k:1 to your contrast numbers, maybe 5k at best going from 6500 to 7500.

Spyders are usually fine for gamma calibration. A gamma calibration is needed from anybody who owns a JVC by the time you hit about 200 hours, and then again every few hundred hours until the unit gets near 1000 hours, or about a year... after that, the gamma droop will stabilise.

You have probably only had gamma droop for a relatively short time, you had a few hundred hours there at the beginning you could have tried curves and still had pretty accurate gamma

A delta e of 9 on your Spyder? You had one of the worst units out there if that's the case. I have two Spyders and an iDisplay Pro, they all seem to agree within a range of 1-2 dE on all measurements, which is pretty close to not being perceptible by the eye...

Not trying to shoot down Chads work whatsoever, quite the contrary, but also, he is not 'needed' to get a good image, which your recent posts are inferring. I did try to tell you the time you spent on tweaking the default ST2084 gamma was a bit of a waste when you could have played around and loaded some custom curves within an hour.
Does the cinema filter also increase contrast? I've not got round to checking mine. Be really interesting to know the details of this calibration. Non-D65 white point for HDR is an interesting idea. As long as you're at D65 or thereabouts lower down where the bulk of content is, then the contrast boost you get (and the resulting increased dynamic range) might be more of a benefit to overall image quality than maintaining out and out accuracy. It's all a compromise at the top end so it's interesting to explore which are the best compromises

I don't think you get that much gamma grace period these days for some reason; both the x7900 units I've had have had serious droop within a really short time (<50hrs).
I'd say your meters sound very good / lucky. I've not seen anywhere near such a tight set of measurements between different meters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9244 of 12003 Old 11-03-2018, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
1. Imho, yes.

2. BT2020 is only used with a source sending out 2020. Otherwise Chad will create a custom 709 gamut for non HDR sources and a custom 2020 for HDR sources to run instead of the factory bt2020.

3. No. Chad will install the arve curves based on your projector. He will give you two curves.

He does separate calibration for SDR sources and HDR sources. He can setup bright modes for SDR and HDR. He will get you setup with FL screen brightness you want run, such as 16FL, or higher if that's what you prefer. I prefer brighter but in low lamp.

Chad also can calibrate you sound system depending on your receiver.
Since none of my sources are 2020, are there any recommendations for settings for the ATV 4K sending HDR in the meantime, until Chad is able to work his magic? Are the other HDR settings still recommended and is there a better color profile?
post #9245 of 12003 Old 11-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Fast question for you guys. I am thinking having my JVC x990r moved back some today. Right now throw is 13ft. I have a new 1.8 gain screen and getting some hot spotting in the middle. My screen is 16:9 123". What do you think might be the sweet spot?
post #9246 of 12003 Old 11-03-2018, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Does the cinema filter also increase contrast? I've not got round to checking mine. Be really interesting to know the details of this calibration. Non-D65 white point for HDR is an interesting idea. As long as you're at D65 or thereabouts lower down where the bulk of content is, then the contrast boost you get (and the resulting increased dynamic range) might be more of a benefit to overall image quality than maintaining out and out accuracy. It's all a compromise at the top end so it's interesting to explore which are the best compromises
I've measured with and without on all my past JVC's none of them increase contrast, the filter cuts black by the same amount it cuts white, of course your D65 point will be a different calibration, but once brought in line, I get a max contrast of say 39k to 43k spread... maybe 6k spread at the most never 22k spread, that's colossal, hence I would love to know what Chad has to say about that.

Here is an X7000 with high bright and D6500 measurements, there is a spread, sure, but minimal compared. High bright is the brightest possible output from the JVC. D7500 is not far off D6500 in contrast really by comparison.

LOW LAMP -0

22,750:1 LOW LAMP D6500
27,916:1 LOW LAMP / HIGH BRIGHT COLOUR TEMP

LOW LAMP -10

48,571:1 LOW LAMP D6500
54,285:1 LOW LAMP / HIGH BRIGHT COLOUR TEMP

LOW LAMP -15

112,307:1 LOW LAMP D6500
127,538:1 LOW LAMP / HIGH BRIGHT COLOUR TEMP

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 11-03-2018 at 08:35 PM.
post #9247 of 12003 Old 11-03-2018, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)
Liked: 2942
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
I'm thinking about getting the JVC RS540 for my family room. The throw can be between 11' to 16' to 106" Carada CCW screen and sitting about 11'. Should I get the RS540 or the something else?
The RS540 will be great assuming at least at night you can kill all the lights. Otherwise you won't benefit from the exceptional jvc black levels and if thats the case yo may as well go super cheap with some optoma or benq since you won't get black anyway. But if you can kill all light at night, RS540 will be great even without dedicated room.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #9248 of 12003 Old 11-03-2018, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The RS540 will be great assuming at least at night you can kill all the lights. Otherwise you won't benefit from the exceptional jvc black levels and if thats the case yo may as well go super cheap with some optoma or benq since you won't get black anyway. But if you can kill all light at night, RS540 will be great even without dedicated room.
The lights at night will be off for movie watching. Thanks for your reply.
post #9249 of 12003 Old 11-04-2018, 05:01 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
I've measured with and without on all my past JVC's none of them increase contrast, the filter cuts black by the same amount it cuts white, of course your D65 point will be a different calibration, but once brought in line, I get a max contrast of say 39k to 43k spread... maybe 6k spread at the most never 22k spread, that's colossal, hence I would love to know what Chad has to say about that.
I just tried my X7900; with an uncorrected white point I can get around 50,000:1 at iris 0, so I wouldn't be surprised if an X9900 could get well over 50,000:1. Of course, correcting that whitepoint my CR drops massively to less than 35,000:1.

So I can only guess that this CR is coming from a non-D65 white point either before the mode was calibrated or with a conscious decision to not have the very peak white calibrated to D65, but with D65 being hit lower down the curve (perhaps?).
DavidHir likes this.
post #9250 of 12003 Old 11-04-2018, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
So while I wait for my RS3000 to arrive, I wanted to start an analysis thread of the iris pumping issue(s) on the RS640 I have. In short summary, iris pumping is a visual artifact when using the dynamic iris where the iris acts causing a visible artifact of either dimming or brightening in a distracting manner. There are times where this can be expected such as end credits roll or extremely black scenes like interstellar 53:30 starfield scenes. These are to be expected and not what is being discussed here.

What I am focusing on here is more of an anomaly where the iris pumping is visible when it should not be. This can be a scene where two folks are talking and the camera goes back and forth between them but one is slightly darker than the other. As the iris is not instantaneous like a laser dimmer, it can be very distracting.

For the purpose of this thread, I'm going to call this iris pumping. The pumping seen on credits etc is not what's being discussed so when I say "no iris pumping" it ignores those scenes.

A short history here. I run my projectors at 0 iris auto1. This is the worst scenario for potential iris pumping because the projector has to react more aggressively to darker scenes. I owned an RS500 prior to my RS640. I never, ever noticed any iris pumping in this manner on my RS500. On my RS640, I notice it daily.

I originally thought perhaps the RS640 firmware was just more sensitive to APL changes and showed more artifacts in its iris operation. But there are some other factors that I think are worth noting and testing.

My RS500 viewing was mostly TV watching at 1080p playing recorded TV programs via plex. Eshift was off, source was PC at 1080p.
My RS640 viewing is mostly the same TV watching but at 4K with e-shift on, source at 4k, not running in plex, but instead running in MadVR with both upscaling and some post processing.

So, I went back to my old RS500 viewing habits tonight on my RS640. Tonight, I ran with e-shift off, 1080p desktop and playing via plex (no MadVR). There was no iris pumping at all. I tested 3 TV shows, one of which was marvels agents of shield which typically does trigger iris pumping. Another show was "Chicago Med" which often displays iris pumping as some of the camera views on faces can be dark. Usually iris pumping is visible within about 30 minutes of viewing. Tonight went over 2 hours and there was no pumping.

It's a bit too soon to call this a complete success. I need to repeat the test again tomorrow and see if there is still no iris pumping to be sure. I'll do so and report back.

If there's no iris pumping tomorrow, then next will be attempting to narrow down what specifically causes the iris pumping. The variables are:

1) 4K eshift playback. The theory here might be that the onboard firmware has a harder time analyzing 4K video as it's 4x bigger and therefore, does a poor job reacting to the content. To test this, we will continue to use plex player but set desktop to 4K and enable eshift. If the iris pumps, this is the likely culprit and more analysis can be done there. If not then onto #2 .

2) 1080p playback with MadVR and the same post processing. If this exhibits the behavior, then there's something in MadVR's processing that might be causing something and it will need to be tested with various settings in MadVR. I know that others have complained about iris pumping that don't use MadVR so it'll be interesting if this is the case and if we can track it down to something specific.

Another theory if 4K eshift playback is what's required to exhibit the iris pumping, since it always requires about 30 minutes of playback before this begins, perhaps the projector gets very warm from the CPU analyzing each frame and this somehow impacts the behavior. It is odd that (at least on my end) I can never reproduce any pumping until after about the 30 minute mark.

I plan to update this thread with observations and see if we can come to any conclusions.

Some other observations. While running the RS640 at 4K eshift with MadVR and iris pumping, I have noticed that the more you clamp down the iris the less you notice iris pumping. I assume this is because, for example, if the projector is set at iris -8 and auto iris, it only activates the iris when it needs to clamp lower than -8. Where if you set the iris to 0 and auto, it will activate the iris anytime it needs to clamp lower than 0.
Your results are very interesting to me. I currently have a 4910 and have been unable to engage the iris to to pumping being very distracting, however, I've always used with eShift2 on as it add a bit of sharpness and never thought to try without. Also, I've thought of upgrading to a used 520/540 or 620/640 but wondered if the iris still pumps in these units or it it had been fixed. Most people can't comment if its better now as they never owned the 4910 for comparison. Subscribed.
post #9251 of 12003 Old 11-04-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6393 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:

ChadB is busy for a reason, so don't let waiting on a spot in a regional loop dissuade you from pulling the trigger. Your patience will be rewarded.
He need a mini me......lol

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting the JVC RS540 for my family room. The throw can be between 11' to 16' to 106" Carada CCW screen and sitting about 11'. Should I get the RS540 or the something else?
Quote:
The lights at night will be off for movie watching. Thanks for your reply.
Are you watching during the day? How much light is in the room during the day? What color paint are the walls and ceiling? Is the paint matte?

--During the day if there is a ton of light it will look like the bar down the road probably. Even at night the JVC will do best in a dark painted room, something like a matte dark brown or matte dark grey including the ceiling, black is best but even my dedicated room is not black.
post #9252 of 12003 Old 11-04-2018, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
that's unfortunately not a great title to start with. I would pick up Lucy and Mad Max as a reference, both look remarkable and show how well UHD HDR can look on a good setup.

For 3D, THX mode will look flat. I would pick one of the custom user modes, set gamma to 2.2, color to D65, gamut to R709 and start there to evaluate 3D. You will likely have to run high lamp depending on your screen size / gain. Also look for the cross talk controls in the menu. You can usually go to +3 (zero default) for some extra brightness without introducing too much extra crosstalk. If you like 3D, the new Ant Man & Wasp is amazing in 3D along with Ready Player One and Infinity War.
I've been tinkering with this and have yet to find anything that says:

D65
R709
Gamut

I think the Gamma has three controls: Picture Tone, Bright Level and Dark level. Are all those supposed to be at 2.2?

Sorry, I'm new to advanced video adjustments. I'm more of an audio guy but I love learning so thanks for the tips.

I really want to find an HDR setting that looks good with Close Encounters though, it's one of my favorite movies ever. May have to just change stuff until it looks less overblown and save that as a user setting.

Also, is there a quick way to load lens memory presets from the remote? I keep having to press Menu, Lens Control, Load Lens Memory, then select my preset.
post #9253 of 12003 Old 11-04-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4490 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by kheiden View Post
I've been tinkering with this and have yet to find anything that says:

D65
R709
Gamut

I think the Gamma has three controls: Picture Tone, Bright Level and Dark level. Are all those supposed to be at 2.2?
The Cinema, Standard, HDR Profiles are all at D65. Rec 709 doesn’t come preloaded, you can load it yourself, but supposedly all the custom profiles are all “initialized” to Rec 709.

Normal is 2.2. The three controls allow you to fine tune gamma.

Quote:
I really want to find an HDR setting that looks good with Close Encounters though, it's one of my favorite movies ever. May have to just change stuff until it looks less overblown and save that as a user setting.
Have you tried loading custom curves? If not, you can try one of my “quick settings” that emulate the custom curves (see link in my signature) until you figure out how to load the custom curves.

Quote:
Also, is there a quick way to load lens memory presets from the remote? I keep having to press Menu, Lens Control, Load Lens Memory, then select my preset.
On the remote there are three buttons near the top, Mode 1,2,3, for the first three presets.
kheiden likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-04-2018 at 03:27 PM.
post #9254 of 12003 Old 11-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
I watched Close Encounters with Javs' v3 4000 nit curve and it looked great.
kheiden and Javs like this.
post #9255 of 12003 Old 11-04-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I just tried my X7900; with an uncorrected white point I can get around 50,000:1 at iris 0, so I wouldn't be surprised if an X9900 could get well over 50,000:1. Of course, correcting that whitepoint my CR drops massively to less than 35,000:1.

So I can only guess that this CR is coming from a non-D65 white point either before the mode was calibrated or with a conscious decision to not have the very peak white calibrated to D65, but with D65 being hit lower down the curve (perhaps?).
That is a huge spread, Do you use Autocal? When I use Autocal at times I regain a ton of white point brightness back vs doing it manually with calibration software, its like Autocal sometimes can unlock a better balance, it sometimes was as much at 10%. I wonder if the way you calibrated, you lost too much light output in the process...

Also, 50k:1 on a 7900 wide open? Was this in the maximum throw. Thats a crazy high number. Are you measuring off the lens or your screen?

-
post #9256 of 12003 Old 11-04-2018, 07:32 PM

I’ll try those recommendations, thanks!

Now I have a new problem. When the source is my 4K Apple TV with a 2.35 movie, the Anamorphic option is grayed out. This doesn’t happen with the Cambridge CXUHD as a source. So weird.
post #9257 of 12003 Old 11-04-2018, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’ll try those recommendations, thanks!

Now I have a new problem. When the source is my 4K Apple TV with a 2.35 movie, the Anamorphic option is grayed out. This doesn’t happen with the Cambridge CXUHD as a source. So weird.
Anamorphic option is disabled for 60Hz 4k.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-04-2018 at 08:20 PM.
post #9258 of 12003 Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Anamorphic option is disabled for 60Hz 4k.
Wow! Fascinating. I had no idea. So it looks like if I want to use my lens with ATV I should leave my ATV in 4K 30Hz or 24Hz, which both seem to work.

This is great. Thanks for the help. You guys are awesome. I’m learning a lot.
post #9259 of 12003 Old 11-04-2018, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
--During the day if there is a ton of light it will look like the bar down the road probably. Even at night the JVC will do best in a dark painted room, something like a matte dark brown or matte dark grey including the ceiling, black is best but even my dedicated room is not black.
I’m really torn as to how far to take my room treatment. I have flat black ceiling, side velvet curtains back about 3 metres, and a dark grey carpet. Absolutely no light entry. With a bright movie scene, I can see the folds in the curtains (it’s not an especially flat velvet) and a sheen on the ceiling, as well as the carpet. By the sounds of it, you might have something similar. My next step would be a velvet treatment on the ceiling and bulkhead and maybe better curtains. I even see some people laying something on top of the carpet. But I just can’t get a feel for the percentage difference going “all the way” would make. Any wisdom?
post #9260 of 12003 Old 11-05-2018, 01:44 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
I’m really torn as to how far to take my room treatment. I have flat black ceiling, side velvet curtains back about 3 metres, and a dark grey carpet. Absolutely no light entry. With a bright movie scene, I can see the folds in the curtains (it’s not an especially flat velvet) and a sheen on the ceiling, as well as the carpet. By the sounds of it, you might have something similar. My next step would be a velvet treatment on the ceiling and bulkhead and maybe better curtains. I even see some people laying something on top of the carpet. But I just can’t get a feel for the percentage difference going “all the way” would make. Any wisdom?
Ceiling I think makes a huge difference. I have 1.5m in front of screen with black fabric (not velvet, but very black Camira Lucia, fitted under tension in a stretch fabric track system) and the ceiling is painted matte black for the rest of the ceiling above us where the light fixtures and speakers needed to be able to be installed. There is a massive step in blackness going from the fabric area to the painted area even at 1.5m away from the screen.
post #9261 of 12003 Old 11-05-2018, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hi,Cleveland Plasma

Thanks for the reply, yes my ceiling is a dark grey and walls are dark burgundy red matte finish. I do watch during the day but can control the daylight about 70%.

post #9262 of 12003 Old 11-05-2018, 06:16 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
That is a huge spread, Do you use Autocal? When I use Autocal at times I regain a ton of white point brightness back vs doing it manually with calibration software, its like Autocal sometimes can unlock a better balance, it sometimes was as much at 10%. I wonder if the way you calibrated, you lost too much light output in the process...

Also, 50k:1 on a 7900 wide open? Was this in the maximum throw. Thats a crazy high number. Are you measuring off the lens or your screen?
Just re-measured as you have me doubting it now; looks like my calibrated contrast was actually low. I am at almost minimum throw. Discus meter facing lens with diffuser down, measuring the very,very center of the screen (see previous discussion about how noticeable I think the bright corners are on my unit), about 0.5m from lens. Profile off. High bright mode.
Iris 0 = 53,000:1. Black is 0.045cd/m2, white is 2385.5cd/m2.
Iris -8 = 88,000:1 Black is 0.0173cd/m2, white is 1528cd/m2.
Iris -15 = 148,000:1 Black is 0.0030cd/m2 white is 463.7cd/m2.

This white point is massively off. x 0.3198 y 0.3487 at iris 0.

Adjusting that white point in the projector (cut red and green) (measuring off screen without diffuser) and then putting the meter back at lens with diffuser saw me read actually a bit better for calibrated contrast (previous number was actually with white point set in the 3DLUT):
Iris 0 = 42,000:1 Black is 0.0352cd/m2 white is 1481.7cd/m2

As this was profile off measurement I don't believe autocal would have had any effect.

In any case, if I can measure this on an X7900 I'm not surprised an X9900 can measure a bit better.
DavidHir likes this.
post #9263 of 12003 Old 11-05-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
I watched Close Encounters with Javs' v3 4000 nit curve and it looked great.
I updated my user presets to Javs curves and still see artifact motion in Close Encounters, particularly on skin. Look at the kid’s cheeks in this clip...The artifacts you see are not from the phone, they’re visible to the naked eye.

post #9264 of 12003 Old 11-05-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I think I'm blind, which menus sets high bulb/low bulb mode? I know it must be right in front of me but I don't see it!

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #9265 of 12003 Old 11-05-2018, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post
I think I'm blind, which menus sets high bulb/low bulb mode? I know it must be right in front of me but I don't see it!
Two ways...

1... when changing picture modes, it usually dumps you in the menu with lamp power, iris adjust and clear black.

2... just above the bottom right remote button for accessing contrast, brightness, etc... is a button labeled advanced menu. That takes you to menu you want.
nebrunner likes this.
post #9266 of 12003 Old 11-05-2018, 03:46 PM

I heard back from ChadB's scheduler this morning and, unfortunately, my area is not on their scehdule for the forseeable future. Since none of my sources are 2020, are there any recommendations for settings for the ATV 4K sending HDR to my 990 in the meantime, until Chad is able to work his magic? Are the other HDR settings still recommended and is there a better color profile?

Thanks!
post #9267 of 12003 Old 11-05-2018, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I updated my user presets to Javs curves and still see artifact motion in Close Encounters, particularly on skin. Look at the kid’s cheeks in this clip...The artifacts you see are not from the phone, they’re visible to the naked eye.

https://youtu.be/aY6Xbag7r2A

Cycle CMD On then OFF (sometimes there is a bug and you need to do this).

Keep it off. Check again.

Turn Clear Black OFF (I run Low, but just to troubleshoot)

Go into MPC and turn OFF all sliders. Enhance etc.

I just checked that shot, it has a peak nits of only 900, so its not clipping any of the HDR curves.

Note, that film has INSANE amounts of film grain. Having said that, high MPC or CMD settings may take that grain and do horrible things with it, so try make sure they are off to rule them out.

-
post #9268 of 12003 Old 11-05-2018, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhart View Post
Since none of my sources are 2020, are there any recommendations for settings for the ATV 4K sending HDR to my 990 in the meantime, until Chad is able to work his magic? Are the other HDR settings still recommended and is there a better color profile?
AFAIK, ATV 4K HDR is BT.2020.
post #9269 of 12003 Old 11-05-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
AFAIK, ATV 4K HDR is BT.2020.
Dominic, thanks for your response. My previous post (#9220) includes:

"Yesterday, my installer came by to see why my 990 did NOT automatically detect HDR and switch from SDR to HDR. My ATV 4K is set to match both dynamic range and frame rate and the chroma is set to 4.4.4. We started playing “The Dark Knight” in iTunes and switched to HDR and the picture was too dark and colors were oversaturated. When we switched the Color Profile back from BR.2020 to natural, the picture was MUCH better."

to which Bytehoven replied:

"BT2020 is only used with a source sending out 2020."

That's the reason for my post.

Thanks!
post #9270 of 12003 Old 11-05-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhart View Post
Dominic, thanks for your response. My previous post (#9220) includes:

"Yesterday, my installer came by to see why my 990 did NOT automatically detect HDR and switch from SDR to HDR. My ATV 4K is set to match both dynamic range and frame rate and the chroma is set to 4.4.4. We started playing “The Dark Knight” in iTunes and switched to HDR and the picture was too dark and colors were oversaturated. When we switched the Color Profile back from BR.2020 to natural, the picture was MUCH better."

to which Bytehoven replied:

"BT2020 is only used with a source sending out 2020."

That's the reason for my post.

Thanks!
That is true, but most if not all HDR material on ATV4K is BT.2020. That’s what I meant in my previous post.
EDIT: the HDR material would labelled as Dolby Vision on ATV4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page