Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 357 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31673Likes

post #10681 of 12734 Old 01-29-2019, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Question Trigger Cable

Does anyone use a long run trigger cable to trigger your projector to turn on / off? Does it work well at long lengths?

I really need 30-35’. I haven’t been able to find 3.5mm 30’ mono cable on monoprice or amazon. I see a 25’ on Amazon. And there are lots of stereo 3.5mm long run options. Will stereo work? Has anyone seen a 30’ mono trigger cable online?

Vizio M60-D1 | Denon 4300h | 7.3.4 | Oppo DDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10682 of 12734 Old 01-29-2019, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5351 Post(s)
Liked: 3477
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
At the moment I can make the pumping happen every time.

I am going to take my Nvidia Shield to my dealer and try playing some content on their X790 to see if there are any issues. If there are no pumping issues then that would point to my projector as being the issue.

If there are pumping issue we are going to try a different HDMI cable. If that still doesn’t work then it may be my Nvidia Shield causing the issue.
100% wont be caused by cable. Either works or not.
coxy2416 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #10683 of 12734 Old 01-29-2019, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
At the moment I can make the pumping happen every time.

I am going to take my Nvidia Shield to my dealer and try playing some content on their X790 to see if there are any issues. If there are no pumping issues then that would point to my projector as being the issue.

If there are pumping issue we are going to try a different HDMI cable. If that still doesn’t work then it may be my Nvidia Shield causing the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
100% wont be caused by cable. Either works or not.
I actually just reset the Shield and then re-loaded Kodi. It seems to have fixed most of the pumping that I was seeing as I played that Matrix scene multiple times without the DI going haywire. I need to do some more testing but it looks more and more like it is the Shield causing part of my issues.

However I am still seeing it on certain programming so for now I am just going to leave it off for HDR material. I still don't like how the DI dims down certain scenes that I don't think should be dimmed. With it in manual mode everything just seems to look better. I just missed the full fade to blacks and darker space scenes.

When I get a chance I am still going to stop by me dealer and play the same material on their X790 to see that DI behaves the same ways as mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10684 of 12734 Old 01-29-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
If you truly want your best possible picture, contact this guy >>> Chad B : [email protected] You will not know if you have the best picture until a guy as good as Chad walks thru the door.

I pay his fee and know with confidence that I probably could do no different or better if I ever spent the time to train and buy the gear. So I let it be done for me.
Bytehoven and bobof like this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #10685 of 12734 Old 01-29-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6781 Post(s)
Liked: 6781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I pay his fee and know with confidence that I probably could do no different or better if I ever spent the time to train and buy the gear. So I let it be done for me.
That gear is not cheap.........15K for the one meter......
Jive Turkey and Tom Riddle like this.
post #10686 of 12734 Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhart View Post
Byte, just to clarify, have you just been watching SDR content or do you now prefer SDR mode?
Not at all...

When i buy a new dusk title, i buy the 4k uhd hdr version if available, but watch with the 820 in sdr-2020 or sdr-HDR (no filter).

I am watching Roku sources in 1080p sdr, planning to transition to 4k and HLG/HDR when i see more compelling content.

When i rent movies ... on Vudu i rent HDX, on Fandango i rent 1080p, on Verizon fios 1080p, and anywhere else 1080p.

For now, i only really trust 4k and HDR from disc master or ripped from master.

I have been considering completing a madVR build out, but i want to upgrade from my nvidia 980ti to ?.

I am tempted to buy a lumagen radiance pro 4242 when they roll out dynamic tone mapping.
jwhart, ddigler and bobof like this.
post #10687 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 03:14 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 1870
Quote:
I actually just reset the Shield and then re-loaded Kodi. It seems to have fixed most of the pumping that I was seeing as I played that Matrix scene multiple times without the DI going haywire. I need to do some more testing but it looks more and more like it is the Shield causing part of my issues.

However I am still seeing it on certain programming so for now I am just going to leave it off for HDR material. I still don't like how the DI dims down certain scenes that I don't think should be dimmed. With it in manual mode everything just seems to look better. I just missed the full fade to blacks and darker space scenes.

When I get a chance I am still going to stop by me dealer and play the same material on their X790 to see that DI behaves the same ways as mine.
For what it is worth this is how I'd approach trying to debug what is going on in your setup.
Enable DI and watch to see if the DI behaviour is working, then disable DI and travel the range of the iris. If iris 0 isn't able to be fully open in the lens (can still see the diamond) there is some kind of issue with the iris behaviour in your system as 0 should always be fully open. If that situation goes away at reboot, I'd perhaps get hold of a cheap disc spinner also and see if that with the same discs also gets your unit into the same state. Try to figure out if there is anything that doesn't get you into the state mentioned previously where iris 0 isn't fully open.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #10688 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

Have you run autocal for gamma? I have been fighting a problem with it setting the very low end too high. This oddly results in a lot more visible iris pumping. Restoring my init file puts everything back and almost never see the iris close down even in auto 1 with the lamp iris at zero.
post #10689 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
Quote:

Have you run autocal for gamma? I have been fighting a problem with it setting the very low end too high. This oddly results in a lot more visible iris pumping. Restoring my init file puts everything back and almost never see the iris close down even in auto 1 with the lamp iris at zero.
I have not but was just asking bobof about that this morning.

I want to look into this but really have no idea how to do it. I’m pretty tech savvy so just need to do some research on this.

I was told that the spyder 5 should work well for correcting the gamma with JVC’s software.

Any help or tips on this would be much appreciated!
post #10690 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
My 990 successfully passed bobof's test. However, when I attempted to change the SDR iris from -15 back to -9, it triggered the grinding cycle. Also, attempting to switch back from the SDR to my HDR input shut down the JVC and started the "light show." Hope this helps. Also, I took video if anyone needs or would like for me to share.
I'm VERY pleased to report that my dealer swapped out my broken unit with the replacement 990 and that the picture, right out the box, is outstanding and that it exhibits NONE of the issues of the predecessor!
post #10691 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 5007 Post(s)
Liked: 1927
Quote:
I was told that the spyder 5 should work well for correcting the gamma with JVC’s software.
It usually does, although the RGB tracking near the low end could use some improvements. (RGB tracking is part of autocal gamma calibration, not colour calibration).
post #10692 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Quote:
It usually does, although the RGB tracking near the low end could use some improvements. (RGB tracking is part of autocal gamma calibration, not colour calibration).
This is all kind of new for me As I have never attempted anything other then loading custom curves into the projector. Need to read up and learn how to properly adjust the gamma.

But from what I’ve read so far the Sypder 5 is compatible with the JVC autocal and won’t break the bank and should do relatively good job at correcting the gamma droop.
post #10693 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
This is all kind of new for me As I have never attempted anything other then loading custom curves into the projector. Need to read up and learn how to properly adjust the gamma.

But from what I’ve read so far the Sypder 5 is compatible with the JVC autocal and won’t break the bank and should do relatively good job at correcting the gamma droop.
It definitely fixed the droop on mine. No manual adjustments needed.

I just remeasured at 650 lamp hours and nothing has really changed since I last measured everything at around 300 hours. I'll check again when I get close to 1k hours.
post #10694 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
It definitely fixed the droop on mine. No manual adjustments needed.

I just remeasured at 650 lamp hours and nothing has really changed since I last measured everything at around 300 hours. I'll check again when I get close to 1k hours.
Chad said he observed droop on newer units, well before the prescribed 200-300 hours, maybe even coming out of the factory with gamma droop.

Given how my x990 gamma looks after chad's session, i thought my calibrated gamma never looked so good and better than new, but i have no measurements to confirm. Only that i could never use gamma B, which looks great as a 2.4 alternative with sdr 709 and sdr 2020.
post #10695 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Chad said he observed droop on newer units, well before the prescribed 200-300 hours, maybe even coming out of the factory with gamma droop.

Given how my x990 gamma looks after chad's session, i thought my calibrated gamma never looked so good and better than new, but i have no measurements to confirm. Only that i could never use gamma B, which looks great as a 2.4 alternative with sdr 709 and sdr 2020.
Yes, the droop on mine was pretty severe right out of the box.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #10696 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
Yes, the droop on mine was pretty severe right out of the box.
Id be curious, anyone who might have ran an autocal gamma calibration very early on, was there still addtitional droop over the few hundred hours of use?

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
post #10697 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
No, not happy. Ecstatic. I'm less than a month on a new RS540 and the PQ exceeds my high expectations. Out of the box was very good, but Jeff Meier was in town this week and he absolutely smashed this thing. The calibrated image blows even my wife away. It's exceptional. Plus the price point on this machine makes it a really strong value proposition. IMHO YMMV.
I wanted to express my thanks for this post by morgub. After studying this and the calibration sites since my X990 was installed last August. Based on posts by bytehoven and others, I contacted ChadB but he has nothing planned for my area. I contacted Jeff Meier and received a reply within an hour. Fortunately, my replacement X990 was installed today and my area is on his schedule for April! For those of you who are interested, and since I hadn't seen any mention of him before, here's a link to his website https://www.accucalav.com/isf-video-calibration/.

I was planning to upload curves and color profiles to my replacement unit and he advised me not to do any of these. Just FYI.

Now, to get a few hours just enjoying my new X990 to get some hours on the unit.

Have a great weekend!
post #10698 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was planning to upload curves and color profiles to my replacement unit and he advised me not to do any of these. Just FYI.
Did he explain why? Loading custom curves and profiles does no harm to the projector and has zero impact on the factory ST.2084 curve and profiles; it simply gives you some additional options.
post #10699 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Did he explain why? Loading custom curves and profiles does no harm to the projector and has zero impact on the factory ST.2084 curve and profiles; it simply gives you some additional options.
I was also going to change the settings to what's on the 1st page so maybe THAT'S what he was referriing to. Since I'm retired and have a LOT of spare time, I'll probably do the uploads since, as you state, it won't hurt anything.
post #10700 of 12734 Old 01-30-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was also going to change the settings to what's on the 1st page so maybe THAT'S what he was referriing to. Since I'm retired and have a LOT of spare time, I'll probably do the uploads since, as you state, it won't hurt anything.
Agree. The calibrator won’t come until April; he can always reset everything if he prefers to work with a clean slate (which he will do in all likelihood).

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-30-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #10701 of 12734 Old 01-31-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDMike View Post
Does anyone use a long run trigger cable to trigger your projector to turn on / off? Does it work well at long lengths?

I really need 30-35’. I haven’t been able to find 3.5mm 30’ mono cable on monoprice or amazon. I see a 25’ on Amazon. And there are lots of stereo 3.5mm long run options. Will stereo work? Has anyone seen a 30’ mono trigger cable online?
You can make one. Search for mono baluns like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Poyiccot-Term.../dp/B077JMC6FL
post #10702 of 12734 Old 01-31-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDMike View Post
The JVC trigger terminal is an output used to control motorized screens. AFAIK you cannot use that to turn on the projector itself. However, if your projector is connected to your home network you can use that to issue on/off and other commands to the projector.

Quote:
The stereo cables work fine. You will be using the tip of the connector, just like the mono cable.
DVDMike likes this.
post #10703 of 12734 Old 01-31-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
The JVC trigger terminal is an output used to control motorized screens. AFAIK you cannot use that to turn on the projector itself. However, if your projector is connected to your home network you can use that to issue on/off and other commands to the projector.

The stereo cables work fine. You will be using the tip of the connector, just like the mono cable.
Dominic makes a good point. Had not considered that. I had to make cables for my lens transport, wasn't even thinking about whether there was in input.

EDIT: confirming that the only options as stated on JVC's site are: Remote control via LAN, RS-232C, IR

Last edited by ScottAvery; 01-31-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #10704 of 12734 Old 01-31-2019, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

I to was going to use Jeff as several friends have had good results from his work. That was until Chad managed to squeeze me in.
When I mentioned to Jeff using additional curves and downloading them he explained that he does not provide calibration or loading of external curves, and that he only works on what is present in the default projector software.

Last edited by Digione; 01-31-2019 at 12:41 PM.
post #10705 of 12734 Old 01-31-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
You may be OK, depending on the “some inches”. The lens shift range is 80% of the screen height from the screen centre, or 30% from the screen top. If your screen height is 4’ then the projector can be located up to about 1’ 3” above the screen top.
I was able to level it out and shift it down enough without a problem. Now have keystone off and low latency on!
ddigler and Dominic Chan like this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #10706 of 12734 Old 01-31-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digione View Post
I to was going to use Jeff as several friends have had good results from his work. That was until Chad managed to squeeze me in.
When I mentioned to Jeff using additional curves and downloading them he explained that he does not provide calibration or loading of external curves, and that he only works on what is present in the default projector software.

Sounds....interesting. Lol. I have not found one person on this forum that would recommend ANY calibration of “stock” JVC settings and is useless and a waste of money if you don’t install custom curves with Arves tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #10707 of 12734 Old 01-31-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswire View Post
Sounds....interesting. Lol. I have not found one person on this forum that would recommend ANY calibration of “stock” JVC settings and is useless and a waste of money if you don’t install custom curves with Arves tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I plan to do the following:

Upload:

Rec-709 Filter and no filter color profiles
Rec-2020 Filter and no filter color profiles
Javs 1200nit-85 and 4000nit-85 curves

Jeff can decide which of those work best since he's the professional.
post #10708 of 12734 Old 02-01-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I plan to do the following:

Upload:

Rec-709 Filter and no filter color profiles
Rec-2020 Filter and no filter color profiles
Javs 1200nit-85 and 4000nit-85 curves

Jeff can decide which of those work best since he's the professional.
I was under the impression that "Video" mode is Rec-709, right on the x90 series? Also, 2020 already exists on the x90 series, right?
post #10709 of 12734 Old 02-01-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 493
My current RS640 being only my second PJ - how much does advertised brightness vary from unit to unit or bulb to bulb? I ask because I am using this calculator (which is awesome IMO) to determine where my fL should be given my current setup. I am using calibrated, high lamp, at post 500 hours and what I am actually achieving is slightly over 20% less than what the calculator indicates I should be getting. My lamp is at 750 hours currently and is the original lamp that came in the PJ when I bought it new.

Is this type of thing common? Just curious if bulbs vary in brightness and if so to what extent is typical?
post #10710 of 12734 Old 02-01-2019, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
My current RS640 being only my second PJ - how much does advertised brightness vary from unit to unit or bulb to bulb? I ask because I am using this calculator (which is awesome IMO) to determine where my fL should be given my current setup. I am using calibrated, high lamp, at post 500 hours and what I am actually achieving is slightly over 20% less than what the calculator indicates I should be getting. My lamp is at 750 hours currently and is the original lamp that came in the PJ when I bought it new.

Is this type of thing common? Just curious if bulbs vary in brightness and if so to what extent is typical?
Are you using a Color Profile that has the color filter in place? Others can confirm but I believe the hit there is usually around 20%.
ddigler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page