Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 372 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31516Likes

post #11131 of 12500 Old 03-01-2019, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
On all 3 of the X790's I have had there has been a softer focus on the right hand side of the screen. The left side and center of the screen were always sharper then the right side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj-34 View Post
I still have the possibility to determine the new place of my X7900 as the hole in the back wall is not done yet, maybe it could be interesting to shift it a foot or so to the right to use more of the left part of the lens using horizontal lens shift ?
Ideally you will want the hole for your projector to be in the center as I am sure there will be more then 1 projector to be used in that space if your anything like me

Ultimately I was still able to get all 3 projectors dialed in and to look good from my seating position. The only time I would ever notice if I was out of focus was while playing video games and seeing text in the bottom right corner. But a quick adjustment to the focus would always fix this.

The projector I have now is the best of the 3 that I have owned and I could tell how much sharper it was while focusing but not in real world content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11132 of 12500 Old 03-01-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlarb View Post
I’m sick of dealing with the manual zoom on my Sony for my CIH setup, and I’m really close to pulling the trigger on the RS540 - I really miss having lens memory! I think the only big question left is “will I regret ignoring the native 4K RS1000”? I have average 55-year-old eyesight, and I’m sitting 12 feet back from a 120” Carada screen (2.35). So I think I really just want the best 1080P projector that ~$4k can buy, and I don’t see any real alternatives (with lens memory). I think this is it!
Resolution is NOT the most important factor when considering picture quality, as long as you have HD. Black levels, contrast, and color accuracy are. That is why they JVC's rate so high

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlarb View Post
I ordered it today, really excited! Now I just need to decide whether to sell my old HW55 for around a kilobuck, or keep it for gaming and casual viewing.
I bet you will be pretty happy
post #11133 of 12500 Old 03-02-2019, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Boys I got a problem and I need some sane advice.

The height that I need to mount my projector is too high to lens shift to the height that I want my screen at.

QUESTION: WOULD YOU KEYSTONE IT?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PANO_20190302_172648.vr.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	645.9 KB
ID:	2533482  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11134 of 12500 Old 03-02-2019, 04:55 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipford View Post

The height that I need to mount my projector is too high to lens shift to the height that I want my screen at.

Noooooo Keystone "works" ok, and will get you an image for now, but the problems with it are very obvious in test images, and can be seen in normal content also.

Longer pole, or shelf mount, is the best bet for your room.
Jive Turkey, skipford and coxy2416 like this.
post #11135 of 12500 Old 03-02-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5225 Post(s)
Liked: 3391
Quote:

never use keystone. It's a digital enhancement that takes the projectors resolution away to do it. You can even see it blur text.
skipford likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #11136 of 12500 Old 03-02-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
never use keystone. It's a digital enhancement that takes the projectors resolution away to do it. You can even see it blur text.
Agreed! My projector was installed with keystone originally and I adjusted it to turn keystone off. Mine was originally at -5 and when I got it to 0, the image quality was noticeably better. Plus, I got to turn on low latency which made a big difference with lip sync.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #11137 of 12500 Old 03-03-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Random question gents...I have completely forgotten most of how to calibrate (autocal) and install the Javs curves, but I have mostly gotten back through it. Searching has been a nightmare unfortunately.

My question is, when I am calibrating gamma for HDR, do I want the projector in "Normal" gamma mode or is "ST.2084" okay? I actually calibrated it in ST.2084 but I seem to remember originally doing it in "Normal" before installing Javs curves with the Arve tool.

Appreciate any guidance, thanks.
post #11138 of 12500 Old 03-03-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4876 Post(s)
Liked: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
Random question gents...I have completely forgotten most of how to calibrate (autocal) and install the Javs curves, but I have mostly gotten back through it. Searching has been a nightmare unfortunately.

My question is, when I am calibrating gamma for HDR, do I want the projector in "Normal" gamma mode or is "ST.2084" okay? I actually calibrated it in ST.2084 but I seem to remember originally doing it in "Normal" before installing Javs curves with the Arve tool.

Appreciate any guidance, thanks.
You can use either. Normal is a little easier as the result should be a diagonal straight line.
rlarsen462 likes this.
post #11139 of 12500 Old 03-03-2019, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
You can use either. Normal is a little easier as the result should be a diagonal straight line.
Okay, when you say easier, what do you mean? I am not touching anything after the autocal other than loading Javs v3 curves as that's what I had before I had to get a projector exchange.

Also one other thing I can't seem to remember how I did was how do you make the projector automatically switch between your User SDR and User HDR (or User 1 and User 2) modes instead of going to the projector's default SDR & HDR modes? I had this working fine on my old unit but this one always seems to default to the projector's HDR mode and then frequently will not switch back to SDR at all after the HDR content is exited.

Thanks again!
post #11140 of 12500 Old 03-03-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4876 Post(s)
Liked: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
Okay, when you say easier, what do you mean? I am not touching anything after the autocal other than loading Javs v3 curves as that's what I had before I had to get a projector exchange.

Also one other thing I can't seem to remember how I did was how do you make the projector automatically switch between your User SDR and User HDR (or User 1 and User 2) modes instead of going to the projector's default SDR & HDR modes? I had this working fine on my old unit but this one always seems to default to the projector's HDR mode and then frequently will not switch back to SDR at all after the HDR content is exited.

Thanks again!
“Easier” to check for a straight line after autocal.

You cannot have the projector default to a user mode for HDR. TRansfer those settings to HDR.

When the HDR content is exited the projector switches back the mode prior to the content entered HDR mode.
rlarsen462 likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 03-03-2019 at 05:52 PM.
post #11141 of 12500 Old 03-03-2019, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 44
For the first time I have been able to view my projector. I watched about an hour of Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix. I have some immediate thoughts. This is with VUDU on Roku Premier streaming UHD with no settings changed just set to HDR mode on the projector. 4k 24 frames.

Iris pumping: OMG I had no idea when people were complaining about it how obvious it is. I thought people were just being picky but as there are scenes, especially with back and forth conversations, it is very distracting. I haven't researched what to do but I hope this can be remedied. It completely throws me out of the movie. Light/dark/light/dark/light/dark AAAAAHHH!

Also right now as posted prior my projector is not keystoned at all but the lens shift is all the way down. My convergence is horrible. I did focus the projector as best I could. In the movie it's not noticeable but when viewing white text it's very noticeable at all parts of the screen.

I am hearing a very soft but present 60 cycle hum. Is that the e-shift mechanism? the fan ramps up in certain modes but this sound is on top of the fan sound. Sounds like a short on a speaker. This is with no speakers connected in the room by the way so it's not a speaker.

I can't wait to change some settings and see if I can get it better. The look of things right out of the box is very good in the HDR setting, just some of these items above are disappointing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190303_165815.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	772.7 KB
ID:	2533936   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190303_180220.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	977.9 KB
ID:	2533938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190303_180207.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	783.0 KB
ID:	2533940   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190303_180232.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	865.5 KB
ID:	2533942  

Last edited by skipford; 03-03-2019 at 06:42 PM.
post #11142 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For the first time I have been able to view my projector. I watched about an hour of Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix. I have some immediate thoughts. This is with VUDU on Roku Premier streaming UHD with no settings changed just set to HDR mode on the projector. 4k 24 frames.

Iris pumping: OMG I had no idea when people were complaining about it how obvious it is. I thought people were just being picky but as there are scenes, especially with back and forth conversations, it is very distracting. I haven't researched what to do but I hope this can be remedied. It completely throws me out of the movie. Light/dark/light/dark/light/dark AAAAAHHH!

Also right now as posted prior my projector is not keystoned at all but the lens shift is all the way down. My convergence is horrible. I did focus the projector as best I could. In the movie it's not noticeable but when viewing white text it's very noticeable at all parts of the screen.

I am hearing a very soft but present 60 cycle hum. Is that the e-shift mechanism? the fan ramps up in certain modes but this sound is on top of the fan sound. Sounds like a short on a speaker. This is with no speakers connected in the room by the way so it's not a speaker.

I can't wait to change some settings and see if I can get it better. The look of things right out of the box is very good in the HDR setting, just some of these items above are disappointing.
I have the Dynamic Iris turned off for HDR material as the iris pumping is terrible. You may find a movie or two that it will work well on but then there many movies that it can not handle. Most people will have their iris wide open for HDR material and there is just to much light to dark scenes that cause the iris to pump. Another problem with the DI on HDR material is that it will dim scenes that otherwise should not be dimmed. I tried watching Bohemian Rhapsody in HDR with the DI engaged and I couldnt believe how much pumping could be in one movie. In my opinion JVC did terrible job with the algorithms for the DI for HDR material.

For SDR I have the DI set to -11 so if I keep it engaged in Auto 1 or 2 it is not very noticeable but there are times that I can still see it working. For me I have both SDR and HDR modes set to manual but I really miss the fade to blacks that you get with the DI engaged.

You should be able to adjust the convergence in the menu. Might just need a quick adjustment. Make sure when you are focusing the projector it is in 1080p mode and the eShift is not engaged.

That hum you are hearing is the eShift of which some projectors are quieter then others. The sound will not go away but may lessen as you put some hours on the projector.

The out of the box HDR settings are terrible and will either need to be adjusted to a better setting that you can find on the first page of the forum or you will need to learn how to upload a custom curve.
giomania and skipford like this.
post #11143 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 03:55 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:

DI behaviour and eShift noise is par for the course I'm afraid. The eShift noise varies between units, I've had very noisy and not so bothersome, which is my current unit. My current unit sometimes loses the noise completely and I think the PJ is broken, then it comes back next power on.

There is a long list of things that isn't great about this chassis (don't look for it, it will depress you!), but on the whole it makes a good image.

Enjoy
giomania, Mike_WI and skipford like this.
post #11144 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

HDR defaults to Auto 1 for the DI and causes noticeable pumping due to the way it interacts with the overall contrast. Auto 2 is less noticeable since it alters the image less.
skipford likes this.

Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #11145 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 506
I find all this interesting.

New x790r in December. My room has a low ceiling, so the projector is literally about 2 feet above the second row’s heads.

I hear nothing but the fan. My DI is really only noticeable in fade to black and credit scenes.

I am a video editor by trade, so it’s not that I’m just not seeing this stuff. A friend down the street owns one of the main projection screen companies mentioned around here. He’s not noticed either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yoguy1 and skipford like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #11146 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
HDR defaults to Auto 1 for the DI and causes noticeable pumping due to the way it interacts with the overall contrast. Auto 2 is less noticeable since it alters the image less.
While Auto 2 is less noticeable it is just as bad. If you are displaying HDR with the iris fully open then you are going to get DI pumping and there is no way to avoid it other then setting it to Manual.
skipford likes this.
post #11147 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
While Auto 2 is less noticeable it is just as bad. If you are displaying HDR with the iris fully open then you are going to get DI pumping and there is no way to avoid it other then setting it to Manual.
I don’t notice it all that much, nor does it bother me. Some are more sensitive than others to it. Personally, I prefer it on at Auto 2.

post #11148 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don’t notice it all that much, nor does it bother me. Some are more sensitive than others to it. Personally, I prefer it on at Auto 2.
I would totally agree that some like myself notice it much more then others. But I also think some people just don't know any better and think what they are seeing is normal.
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #11149 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Guys, where can i purchase the replacement lamp for a 540? Also, whats the model number for the lamp?
post #11150 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post
Guys, where can i purchase the replacement lamp for a 540? Also, whats the model number for the lamp?
AVS can replace it if you tell them what projector.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #11151 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Other than MadVR is there any way to play MKV file as SDR 2020? I know the Panasonic UB420 can do it with discs but not MKV files.

I currently play all my MKV files through the Shield and I do not believe the Shield has this option.
post #11152 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'm using a Panasonic 820, so have it setup for SDR by default and I still see the Dynamic Iris pumping on certain scenses. It can be very distracting.

I am also looking for a setting that will "fix" this. What do people typically do? Set it to a manual setting? If so, which one? I set my projector up according to the recommendations for the Panasonic 820 guides in this forum (don't recall the dynanic iris setting off the top of my head).

My recently upgraded 20 year old basement theater: 7.1 ch setup with JVC x790r projector; 100" Stewart 16x9 screen, Panasonic 820 UHD player; Marantz AV7704 pre-pro; Marantz MM8077 7 ch Amp; PSA v1811 subwoofer; Atlantic Technology 20 year old speakers
post #11153 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoFatherof3 View Post
I'm using a Panasonic 820, so have it setup for SDR by default and I still see the Dynamic Iris pumping on certain scenses. It can be very distracting.

I am also looking for a setting that will "fix" this. What do people typically do? Set it to a manual setting? If so, which one? I set my projector up according to the recommendations for the Panasonic 820 guides in this forum (don't recall the dynanic iris setting off the top of my head).

I'm sure someone more experienced can answer this better, but I bought a cheap $30 light meter and set the manual aperture so that I got around 16 ft L with an all white pattern (for me that was -5).

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
post #11154 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 01:37 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
New x790r in December. My room has a low ceiling, so the projector is literally about 2 feet above the second row’s heads.

I hear nothing but the fan. My DI is really only noticeable in fade to black and credit scenes.

I am a video editor by trade, so it’s not that I’m just not seeing this stuff. A friend down the street owns one of the main projection screen companies mentioned around here. He’s not noticed either.
Well, folk aren't inventing these things for the fun of ripping into our own £6K machines...
On the eShift noise - my unit that was very loud, my wife absolutely could not hear the eshift noise even if I gave her the remote, told her which button to flip and told her what to listen to. She worked in bars in her youth so I assume she's actually deaf as a post...

The DI artifacts bother some folk more than others. I'm pretty sure it is one of those thing you're either wired for it to bother you or not. The cases you mention around fade in / out (actually, usually only really fade in is problematic) are a given. There are also scenes which are known to trip the DI into opening and closing in a noticeable pump fashion. And there are other scenes where if you know the content well you'll see the detail in highlights such as car headlamps being killed by the DI gamma manipulation.

If you don't notice these things or they don't bother you then you should leave them on.
post #11155 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Well, folk aren't inventing these things for the fun of ripping into our own £6K machines...

Im not trying to say anyone is making things up. I just wonder if there is variance between units.

The one odd thing I do notice is every 45 minutes or so, I hear a crack from the projector like the plastic case is shifting with temperature change. Anyone else had that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom Riddle and bobof like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #11156 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 01:52 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Im not trying to say anyone is making things up. I just wonder if there is variance between units.

The one odd thing I do notice is every 45 minutes or so, I hear a crack from the projector like the plastic case is shifting with temperature change. Anyone else had that?
The creaking is common. I think you're more likely to get it ceiling mounted. I improved mine previously by loosening a 1/4 turn and re-tightening the mount screws while the PJ was mounted up.

I think there are probably almost equal measures of viewer sensitivity and unit variation. See my example, same unit, 50% of us can't see a problem, 50% think it is like someone strapped a Remington to the ceiling. The latter 50% could detect a difference between two different units.
thrillcat likes this.
post #11157 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How many hours did you get out of your current lamp?

post #11158 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 176
3d help

I was wondering if anyone here that runs a HTPC could help me out. I had an Epson 3700 before I bought the 540 and 3D worked fine on it. I encoded movies using the top-and-bottom format and I never had a problem with it. I can't seem to get the JVC to work with it though. Oddly enough it seems to "engage" the 3D when I select side-by-side on the JVC. I have JRiver and no matter if I use that or MPC it does the exact same thing. Thought maybe it was settings in one or the other but like I said the Epson worked fine. Any ideas?
post #11159 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
How many hours did you get out of your current lamp?
I have just 160 hours so far.
Just doing my homework at this point. Love the projector
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #11160 of 12500 Old 03-04-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have just 160 hours so far.
Just doing my homework at this point. Love the projector
Good deal. I was worried if you were already having to replace the lamp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page