Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 374 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31171Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11191 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
Funny that this should be asked because I was going to ask something similar, but reverse. My X790r (RS-540) has about 1200 hours on it. I recently noticed that I'm no longer hearing the color filter snapping in/out, but the image still looks good. I'm wondering if any of you have found that the 'snapping' sound goes away as the machine ages?
I don’t think so. If you don’t hear it, it’s more likely that it has failed
Dominic Chan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11192 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: California's Redwood Coast
Posts: 1,395
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I don’t think so. If you don’t hear it, it’s more likely that it has failed
That's what I was afraid of. Anyone else no longer hearing the filter snap into place? Is there a way to test this? Sending the projector in for service is the option of last resort.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp

Last edited by johng; 03-09-2019 at 08:01 AM.
johng is offline  
post #11193 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
That's what I was afraid of. Anyone else no longer hearing the filter snap into place?
Engaging the filter drops the brightness by about 15%, which is visible but the resync blank out makes it harder to tell. If you have a light meter you can check that.
Dominic Chan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11194 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,040
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6408
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
That's what I was afraid of. Anyone else no longer hearing the filter snap into place? Is there a way to test this? Sending the projector in for service is the option of last resort.
I guess the most important question is, do you notice any differences?
Reddig likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #11195 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Engaging the filter drops the brightness by about 15%, which is visible but the resync blank out makes it harder to tell. If you have a light meter you can check that.
You know in some movies you can tell the difference pretty good like Ralph breaks the internet try that one is full of colors.. you can definitely see the difference on that one but not every movie..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #11196 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: California's Redwood Coast
Posts: 1,395
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I don’t think so. If you don’t hear it, it’s more likely that it has failed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I guess the most important question is, do you notice any differences?
Good News! It's working. The filter 'pops' into place properly. I suspect I've grown accustomed to the sound and it isn't as jarring as it was when the projector was new. All I had to do to check was to mute the audio and switch between HDR and non-HDR sources.
Jive Turkey, Reddig and Tom Riddle like this.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
johng is offline  
post #11197 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
You know in some movies you can tell the difference pretty good like Ralph breaks the internet try that one is full of colors.. you can definitely see the difference on that one but not every movie..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I'll have to try that! I tried back and forth on few movies and couldn't tell which of course the few seconds to switch and a black screen doesnt help! I been leaving it off for the most part. I'm also colorblind. Few people said it probably doesnt pay to get it professional calibrated and I kind of siding with them.
jorgebetancourt likes this.

Denon X4400H Emotiva XPS-7 Balanced minidsp 2X4
Klipsch icon series FLC/surrounds, RSL C34E for .4
2 4cu sealed Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400s FB14000
Xbox one X, Shield 4k, sony 65" X900F, RS540U, 115" 2.35:1 HD Fury Linker
MagnumMafia05 is offline  
post #11198 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Member
 
ColoFatherof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I'm sure someone more experienced can answer this better, but I bought a cheap $30 light meter and set the manual aperture so that I got around 16 ft L with an all white pattern (for me that was -5).
This advice really helped me, THANK YOU!

I was set at "auto2" and was seeing some very distracting irus pumping (picuture fading between brightness levels on darker scences). It was happening in several movies using both Blu-Rays and UHD 4Ks.

Last night it happened again, so I stopped the movie, reset the iris from "auto2" to "-4" and all the scenes that used to go dark/light/dark/light/etc stopped doing that. No idea what I'm losing by not using the dynamic iris, but I don't care. This is SO MUCH BETTER!

thank you for this great advice!

My next step is to purchase a cheap light meter so I can figure out what setting (-4 or something different) is best for my setup.
fredxr2d2 likes this.
ColoFatherof3 is offline  
post #11199 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMafia05 View Post
I'll have to try that! I tried back and forth on few movies and couldn't tell which of course the few seconds to switch and a black screen doesnt help! I been leaving it off for the most part. I'm also colorblind. Few people said it probably doesnt pay to get it professional calibrated and I kind of siding with them.
Yeah I was playing around with it the other day while watching Ralph breaks the internet and for the first time I noticed it.. It's very visible and its all the colors on this movie..

Pick a scene with lots of colorful characters and flip back and forth.. you'll defenetely see the colors changing..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
MagnumMafia05 likes this.

Last edited by jorgebetancourt; 03-09-2019 at 12:51 PM.
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #11200 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central U.S.
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Wow. Just a quick report. After spending two nights with my new JVC RS540 I am just stunned at the performance. The upgrade from a Sony 40ES is one of the biggest single upgrades Ive ever had in one purchase in my home theater. I don't have any test equipment but just from setting it up and going through settings and watching some SDR 1080p Blu-ray content I am extremely impressed. EXTREMELY. The contrast and black floor is simply stunning. I dont know how else to put it.

In low lamp mode I can barely tell the projector is on from my seat. I always thought the low lamp on the 40ES was extremely quiet but the JVC RS540 is even quieter. I was not expecting that. I also can not hear the iris at work unless I put my head next to the unit. E-shift is the same. I cannot hear it from my seat, although i prefer having it off for 1080p content so far but Ive barely had more then 5 hours time playing with it. I was expecting both the iris and eshift to have some significant noise but am very relieved. If I get up and go around my seating I can start to hear the eshift "whine" so to speak. High lamp has a noticeable increase in noise. Its louder than the Sony in High. Brightness in low is substantially brighter on the JVC then the Sony was on HIGH.

Going to do some 3D testing tonight. Im just overjoyed tho and very excited with the RS540. Stunned actually

EDIT: Forgot to add how much better the lens is too. It appears to resolve much more detail then the Sony 40ES one and is much bigger. Also the uniformity is excellent. Black field is consistent and no bright corners. From other accounts I was expecting some but its extremely even.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest

Last edited by Reddig; 03-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Reddig is offline  
post #11201 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Greater Houston Area - Texas
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Welcome to the JVC club @Reddig ! My 540 is my first foray into projectors after finally building my dream HT. I have 160 hours on mine, and am still stunned by the picture. Watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on UHD really shows how deep the blacks are on the 540!

I’m waiting for Jeff Meier to come calibrate my unit next month and can’t wait to see how it can become even better!
Reddig and thrillcat like this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Tom Riddle is offline  
post #11202 of 12027 Old 03-09-2019, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central U.S.
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Welcome to the JVC club @Reddig ! My 540 is my first foray into projectors after finally building my dream HT. I have 160 hours on mine, and am still stunned by the picture. Watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on UHD really shows how deep the blacks are on the 540!

I’m waiting for Jeff Meier to come calibrate my unit next month and can’t wait to see how it can become even better!
Thanks Tom! It's a fantastic club lol! My wife and I watched Solo tonight and it looked amazing. I didn't think that movie could look very good but it can.
Tom Riddle likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
Reddig is offline  
post #11203 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stumlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Javs,
I installed your curves. Instructions were fairly easy to follow. Thanks! As far as actually using them, I'm guessing you choose between Custom gamma 1 and 2 within the user setting. Do we base it off of the reported MaxCLL... i.e. if it reports 4000, choose custom 2 (assuming that's where it was installed). Which do we select if MaxCLL is 500 nits, or 2000 nits, etc? Is there a low enough rating where we would opt for a pre-defined gamma (A, B, etc)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
JAVS V3 CURVES
Alright guys, here are the v3 curves. I have made a zip file containing all three versions now for ease of use. You guys are free to compare them and pick your poison. The v3 curves are a little more radical which I will explain why.

Arve Tool Versions. - Preferred method

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbwz9fyt62...%20v3.zip?dl=1

JVC Autocal Software Versions

Those of you who are too scared of the Arve Tool, which is by far the preferred method to use these curves, here is a version of the v3 curves which can be loaded using the JVC Autocal software into one of your custom Gamma slots. Obviously they are slightly lower resolution that the Arve tools curves which are 256 point rather than these being 12. But they should be pretty much the same otherwise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz0j5saeok...sions.rar?dl=1


stumlad is offline  
post #11204 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
panman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 144
X7900 owner here, 210 hrs on the unit so far. Has anyone experienced a ‘squeak squeak squeak ‘ when the lens hood is opening/closing ?. The last couple of times of use I have heard it pretty loudly.
Reddig likes this.

JVC DLA-X7900 3D Projector, Sapphire 106" Electric screen, Sony KDL-55W905 3D TV, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic UB820, UB700, BDT-380 MZ, Panasonic DMP-BD60, Sky Q 2TB, Fire TV 4K, Marantz SR7012, 7.1.2, SVS PC2000 Sub, Kef Q600C Centre, Q300 fronts, Ci160QR Ceilings, CA SX60 Surrounds, Harmony 950+hub.
panman40 is offline  
post #11205 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 View Post
X7900 owner here, 210 hrs on the unit so far. Has anyone experienced a ‘squeak squeak squeak ‘ when the lens hood is opening/closing ?. The last couple of times of use I have heard it pretty loudly.
I use the projector daily and decided to disable the automatic lens cover as I found it unnecessary and annoying (having used the x570 before).
panman40 and bobof like this.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #11206 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 10:54 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 View Post
X7900 owner here, 210 hrs on the unit so far. Has anyone experienced a ‘squeak squeak squeak ‘ when the lens hood is opening/closing ?. The last couple of times of use I have heard it pretty loudly.
On the first X7900 I had the cover was very close to the plastic facia, so much so that after a few operations you could see drag marks on the front of the cover where it was obviously rubbing against the front panel. You could always have a look and see if it looks like it is rubbing. Probably not much you'll be able to do about it unless there is something obviously stuck there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I use the projector daily and decided to disable the automatic lens cover as I found it unnecessary and annoying (having used the x570 before).
I thought I was the only one...! I really quite dislike the racket it makes. Almost everything mechanical about these units is pretty nasty. It's a shame they put out such a nice picture...
panman40 likes this.
bobof is online now  
post #11207 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
panman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
On the first X7900 I had the cover was very close to the plastic facia, so much so that after a few operations you could see drag marks on the front of the cover where it was obviously rubbing against the front panel. You could always have a look and see if it looks like it is rubbing. Probably not much you'll be able to do about it unless there is something obviously stuck there.



I thought I was the only one...! I really quite dislike the racket it makes. Almost everything mechanical about these units is pretty nasty. It's a shame they put out such a nice picture...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I use the projector daily and decided to disable the automatic lens cover as I found it unnecessary and annoying (having used the x570 before).
Thanks for the reply’s, I figured I would turn off the auto lens cover as I had paid a premium but I can see your point. I guess I shouldn’t disable it now if there’s going to be an issue with it in case I sell in the future.

I can’t see any rub marks at all on the cover, I agree that this along with the lamp iris are very agricultural in sound..

JVC DLA-X7900 3D Projector, Sapphire 106" Electric screen, Sony KDL-55W905 3D TV, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic UB820, UB700, BDT-380 MZ, Panasonic DMP-BD60, Sky Q 2TB, Fire TV 4K, Marantz SR7012, 7.1.2, SVS PC2000 Sub, Kef Q600C Centre, Q300 fronts, Ci160QR Ceilings, CA SX60 Surrounds, Harmony 950+hub.
panman40 is offline  
post #11208 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I thought I was the only one...! I really quite dislike the racket it makes.
I actually found out how to do that from one of your previous posts.

There is an “Automatic Lens Cover On/Off” option in the projector’s service menu but it didn’t do anything.
bobof likes this.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #11209 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 12:25 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I actually found out how to do that from one of your previous posts.

There is an “Automatic Lens Cover On/Off” option in the projector’s service menu but it didn’t do anything.
Yes, I saw that in there also, I wondered what it is all about.
At a guess, perhaps it removes the option from the "user-facing" UI, so that you can't then re-enable the lens cover without going into the service menu (maybe). Would make sense to be able to do this in the case where an installer was fitting up the system with some kind of anamorphic lens that could foul on the cover if the user enabled it by mis-adventure.
bobof is online now  
post #11210 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6792 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post
Javs,
I installed your curves. Instructions were fairly easy to follow. Thanks! As far as actually using them, I'm guessing you choose between Custom gamma 1 and 2 within the user setting. Do we base it off of the reported MaxCLL... i.e. if it reports 4000, choose custom 2 (assuming that's where it was installed). Which do we select if MaxCLL is 500 nits, or 2000 nits, etc? Is there a low enough rating where we would opt for a pre-defined gamma (A, B, etc)?
Basically I would just use the 1200 curve until you see a maxcll way above that which will be pretty rare. You can probably still do it with 2000nit titles too. I wager you won't even be able to spot where it's clipping.
stumlad and panman40 like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #11211 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central U.S.
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 View Post
X7900 owner here, 210 hrs on the unit so far. Has anyone experienced a ‘squeak squeak squeak ‘ when the lens hood is opening/closing ?. The last couple of times of use I have heard it pretty loudly.
Mine is pretty quiet but i just hear the tiny servo motor at work when it opens and closes. Ill take closer note tonight when I fire it up.

Hey man I tried 3D out last night on the RS540 (x790/x7900) with the Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses. Wow the brightness is incredible! Turns out I have been watching a very dim 3d image from my old Sony 40ES. I was putting in 3D disc after another and being blown away every time. The lamp in high isn't very intrusive and after watching awhile id say its very similar to the Sony lamps high noise, except its a different tone that is easier on my ears. Low lamp is a whisper.I think I got a real good sample.

I love these Xpand glasses too. Very comfy. A have a pair of JVC PK-AG3's coming and im very excited to compare the both. But I am LOVING this projector. Think ill try some UHD content tonight.
panman40 and jorgebetancourt like this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
Reddig is offline  
post #11212 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
panman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Basically I would just use the 1200 curve until you see a maxcll way above that which will be pretty rare. You can probably still do it with 2000nit titles too. I wager you won't even be able to spot where it's clipping.
I’ve been experimenting with Mannis curves in the past, when I got the UB820 I then was using the hdr to sdr conversion.
I would like to try your own gamma curves for hdr, could you please point me in the right direction for them ?.
Thanks.

JVC DLA-X7900 3D Projector, Sapphire 106" Electric screen, Sony KDL-55W905 3D TV, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic UB820, UB700, BDT-380 MZ, Panasonic DMP-BD60, Sky Q 2TB, Fire TV 4K, Marantz SR7012, 7.1.2, SVS PC2000 Sub, Kef Q600C Centre, Q300 fronts, Ci160QR Ceilings, CA SX60 Surrounds, Harmony 950+hub.
panman40 is offline  
post #11213 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
panman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Mine is pretty quiet but i just hear the tiny servo motor at work when it opens and closes. Ill take closer note tonight when I fire it up.

Hey man I tried 3D out last night on the RS540 (x790/x7900) with the Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses. Wow the brightness is incredible! Turns out I have been watching a very dim 3d image from my old Sony 40ES. I was putting in 3D disc after another and being blown away every time. The lamp in high isn't very intrusive and after watching awhile id say its very similar to the Sony lamps high noise, except its a different tone that is easier on my ears. Low lamp is a whisper.I think I got a real good sample.

I love these Xpand glasses too. Very comfy. A have a pair of JVC PK-AG3's coming and im very excited to compare the both. But I am LOVING this projector. Think ill try some UHD content tonight.
Hi, mines never been quiet but was at least consistent, recently it’s got louder and now has an awful squeak as it’s closing. After just watching a bd this evening I deactivated it so it stays open but will test again next weekend. As we don’t normally use the pj during the week I thought it was worth acing the lens cover activated.

I’m glad you find 3D is good!, I had a Sony hw40 es and thought 3D was decent after warm up but it had a fixed 3D lamp/fan mode which you couldn’t adjust, it was quiet enough and definitely quieter than any JVC I’ve owned I high lamp.
The xpands are great glasses, obviously your screen hols no polarisation, you will find the JVC AG3’s will give up to 10% more light than the xpand x1 but will have a different colour temperature due to the horizontal polarisation.

Reddig likes this.

JVC DLA-X7900 3D Projector, Sapphire 106" Electric screen, Sony KDL-55W905 3D TV, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic UB820, UB700, BDT-380 MZ, Panasonic DMP-BD60, Sky Q 2TB, Fire TV 4K, Marantz SR7012, 7.1.2, SVS PC2000 Sub, Kef Q600C Centre, Q300 fronts, Ci160QR Ceilings, CA SX60 Surrounds, Harmony 950+hub.

Last edited by panman40; 03-10-2019 at 11:06 PM.
panman40 is offline  
post #11214 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I posted this post in the bluray section, but no one has replied back. I hope I'll be more lucky in this thread. I use the UB820 with my JVC X790R projector and my vizio 4k TV. I send the SDR2020 to my projector and the regular Dolby Vision HDR to my TV. Unfortunately, I do not have a 4K receiver; so, if I want to view the content on the projector, I use one HDMI cable, and to view the content on my TV, I use another HDMI cable (I manually switch the cables on the back of the UB820). I would like to purchase a splitter (but I really want it to function like a 'switcher' for outputs; only one device (projector or TV) is on at any given time). Could someone recommend a good one (other than the HDFury) that would pass through the SDR2020 or Dolby Vision HDR2020 signals without any alterations? Thanks.
tioneb is offline  
post #11215 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by tioneb View Post
Could someone recommend a good one (other than the HDFury) that would pass through the SDR2020 or Dolby Vision HDR2020 signals without any alterations? Thanks.
The “passive” switches should not alter the signals. I just bought this one and it seems to work fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Bi-Dir.../dp/B00LFX1UDM
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #11216 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 04:00 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
I love these Xpand glasses too. Very comfy. A have a pair of JVC PK-AG3's coming and im very excited to compare the both. But I am LOVING this projector. Think ill try some UHD content tonight.
Form, fit and function are identical, it is just brightness you might notice some difference in - how noticeable depends on screen. If you already think it is bright I'm guessing your screen doesn't maintain much polarisation. You can work out how much already just by putting the xpands on and rotating your head 90 degrees while looking at the screen.
bobof is online now  
post #11217 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6792 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 View Post
I’ve been experimenting with Mannis curves in the past, when I got the UB820 I then was using the hdr to sdr conversion.

I would like to try your own gamma curves for hdr, could you please point me in the right direction for them ?.

Thanks.
Link in my signature.
panman40 likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #11218 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,651
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post
Javs,
I installed your curves. Instructions were fairly easy to follow. Thanks! As far as actually using them, I'm guessing you choose between Custom gamma 1 and 2 within the user setting. Do we base it off of the reported MaxCLL... i.e. if it reports 4000, choose custom 2 (assuming that's where it was installed). Which do we select if MaxCLL is 500 nits, or 2000 nits, etc? Is there a low enough rating where we would opt for a pre-defined gamma (A, B, etc)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Basically I would just use the 1200 curve until you see a maxcll way above that which will be pretty rare. You can probably still do it with 2000nit titles too. I wager you won't even be able to spot where it's clipping.
Strumlad,

It may not be obvious from all the posts but once you have uploaded the curves you no longer need to use the user mode. The most convenient thing is to select your favorite gamma directly in the built in HDR mode which is always automatically selected when you send HDR content. I follow Javs advice and use the 1200nit for my HDR, then I copy the settings over to Cinema mode and load the 4000 nit there. That way I have a hard button on the remote to swap back and forth.


edit: clarifying for others that you DO need the user mode to upload with Arves. But you can select those gammas in any mode once they are uploaded.
ScottAvery is offline  
post #11219 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central U.S.
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 View Post
Hi, ones never been quiet but was at least consistent, recently it’s got louder and now has an awful squeak as it’s closing. After just watching a bd this evening I deactivated it so it stays open but will test again next weekend. As we don’t normally use the pj during the week I thought it was worth acing the lens cover activated.

I’m glad you find 3D is good!, I had a Sony hw40 es and thought 3D was decent after warm up but it had a fixed 3D lamp/fan mode which you couldn’t adjust, it was quiet enough and definitely quieter than any JVC I’ve owned I high lamp.
The xpands are great glasses, obviously your screen hols no polarisation, you will find the JVC AG3’s will give up to 10% more light than the xpand x1 but will have a different colour temperature due to the horizontal polarisation.

Thanks I appreciate it. Curious to see if I see any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Form, fit and function are identical, it is just brightness you might notice some difference in - how noticeable depends on screen. If you already think it is bright I'm guessing your screen doesn't maintain much polarisation. You can work out how much already just by putting the xpands on and rotating your head 90 degrees while looking at the screen.
Thanks. They do look very similar too.

I had projectors from Sony and BenQ and with both of those the Xpand glasses I got for each had a bit less dimension to the 3D with similar brightness then the original 3D glasses for each projector. I had others say there shouldn't be a change in performance but it was noticeable. Thats the main reason I had ordered the original JVC pair just to see.

I'll tilt my head tonight on a bright scene and see if I notice a change in brightness.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
Reddig is offline  
post #11220 of 12027 Old 03-10-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,040
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Wow. Just a quick report. After spending two nights with my new JVC RS540 I am just stunned at the performance. The upgrade from a Sony 40ES is one of the biggest single upgrades Ive ever had in one purchase in my home theater. I don't have any test equipment but just from setting it up and going through settings and watching some SDR 1080p Blu-ray content I am extremely impressed. EXTREMELY. The contrast and black floor is simply stunning. I dont know how else to put it.
I hope JVC produces these for a long, long time
John Schlarb and Reddig like this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off