Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 381 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31533Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11401 of 12535 Old 04-01-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Carbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Boston, MA , USA
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 171
It started to work again on its own. Took two days. Who knows. Stupid Stupid apps.

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
Carbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11402 of 12535 Old 04-01-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,549
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6667
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
I just have to post these pictures, might be a while before I upgrade to 4k
Nothing wrong with one of these units, that's for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
No-one ever will have. The JVC filter is basically only a fly screen, stopping nothing but the hugest particles. It still lets dust through.
This is an old X35 in need of some cleaning. The first fan in the image I believe is the one in the filter path...!

Not mine, but taken from another forum here:
No that's crazy......
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #11403 of 12535 Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,749
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I notice I was getting Dolby Vision lockout on my Oppo 203 last night, which was surprising given it was not a DV encoded disc. I had not realized I had selected the new forced DV option. Would there be any value to using that option with the rs540, or does the player know the JVC is not DV enabled so it is not really sending the enhanced color depth? I tried A-B comparisons but it is quite tedious to turn on and off as you have to stop playback to change the setting. I could not see any obvious difference from standard HDR10.

I use Javs' 1200nit v3-85nit gamma curve on low lamp, if that would somehow limit my ability to see any difference.
ScottAvery is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11404 of 12535 Old 04-03-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
For those of you fortunate enough to be calibrated by Chad B (like me) and have a Panny 820/420/9000, do you prefer to use Chad's HDR settings with the HDR2020 mode in your player, or do you prefer the SDR2020 in the player with an SDR2020 user setting in your projector as Kris Deering and others recommend for projectors?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #11405 of 12535 Old 04-03-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
For those of you fortunate enough to be calibrated by Chad B (like me) and have a Panny 820/420/9000, do you prefer to use Chad's HDR settings with the HDR2020 mode in your player, or do you prefer the SDR2020 in the player with an SDR2020 user setting in your projector as Kris Deering and others recommend for projectors?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #11406 of 12535 Old 04-03-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
For those of you fortunate enough to be calibrated by Chad B (like me) and have a Panny 820/420/9000, do you prefer to use Chad's HDR settings with the HDR2020 mode in your player, or do you prefer the SDR2020 in the player with an SDR2020 user setting in your projector as Kris Deering and others recommend for projectors?
I had my projector calibrated by Chad last August with my UB900 being the player at the time. I did see improvement with his three custom HDR curves compared to the stock HDR curve.

I have since upgraded to a UB820 in last month. I haven't put a lot of time into watching but now I am trying SDR BT.2020 with the 2.4 curve that Chad calibrated for my SDR mode. So far I think I like the tone mapping by the UB820 over the RS540, but I'm still trying some different options like using low lamp versus high.

I think the RS540 with the UB820 is probably the best combination you can currently do if you want to compare different combinations for viewing HDR titles.


Last edited by Toknowshita; 04-03-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Toknowshita is offline  
post #11407 of 12535 Old 04-03-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: good old USA
Posts: 2,443
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
For those of you fortunate enough to be calibrated by Chad B (like me) and have a Panny 820/420/9000, do you prefer to use Chad's HDR settings with the HDR2020 mode in your player, or do you prefer the SDR2020 in the player with an SDR2020 user setting in your projector as Kris Deering and others recommend for projectors?

I had Chad create me a SDR2020 no filter profile and two HDR profiles. He and I spent a bit of time comparing them and I ended up prefering the SDR2020 profile. The two curves will be there if I ever decide to do streaming.



I have the Panny 820 and a JVC RS540 on a 118" Carada BW 16x9 screen.
panman40 likes this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
Jive Turkey is offline  
post #11408 of 12535 Old 04-04-2019, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
fredxr2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I finally have Chad scheduled to come to my place in May!


I was wondering if anyone had any advice for what I should do to prepare for his coming. I know I'll need to have the projector on and warmed up, probably about 45 minutes beforehand at least. Other than that, is there something you would suggest I do in the month or so leading up to his visit (I definitely already have enough hours on the bulb, too)?

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
fredxr2d2 is online now  
post #11409 of 12535 Old 04-04-2019, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,380
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I finally have Chad scheduled to come to my place in May!


I was wondering if anyone had any advice for what I should do to prepare for his coming. I know I'll need to have the projector on and warmed up, probably about 45 minutes beforehand at least. Other than that, is there something you would suggest I do in the month or so leading up to his visit (I definitely already have enough hours on the bulb, too)?
Update firmware on all sources/devices in path.
Jive Turkey and fredxr2d2 like this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is offline  
post #11410 of 12535 Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,506
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12535 Post(s)
Liked: 10149
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Production of the 540 is ending/ended. Only limited qty will be available.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #11411 of 12535 Old 04-04-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,945
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Production of the 540 is ending/ended. Only limited qty will be available.
No more eshift models?
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #11412 of 12535 Old 04-04-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Production of the 540 is ending/ended. Only limited qty will be available.
And the same will be true relatively soon for the NX5/7/9 projectors, too. This is their SOP.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #11413 of 12535 Old 04-04-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: good old USA
Posts: 2,443
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I finally have Chad scheduled to come to my place in May!


I was wondering if anyone had any advice for what I should do to prepare for his coming. I know I'll need to have the projector on and warmed up, probably about 45 minutes beforehand at least. Other than that, is there something you would suggest I do in the month or so leading up to his visit (I definitely already have enough hours on the bulb, too)?

Make an outline of what your prefernces are and what modes you'd like him to calibrate for. With that in hand, leave him to do his work; he'll let you know if he has questions.


In my case I asked for SDR2020 (no filter) for use with my Panny 820 player, Rec709 (normal and bright modes), and two HDR curves in case I decide to go with other HDR sources than disc. I told him I like to walk a fine line between black level and shadow detail. I told him I'd prefer no filter engaged, as I didn't want to lose the light output with the filter.


He obliged my requests and delivered great performance.


Edit: I'm not saying that Chad won't be cool with you watching him work. I've done it both ways and while he's very accommodating to answering questions, the last time I just wanted him to have the best environment to do his work without distraction. There's a lot of back and forth he has to do to get things right.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 04-04-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Jive Turkey is offline  
post #11414 of 12535 Old 04-04-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central U.S.
Posts: 2,923
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by catav View Post
Subtract 5 from first two digits to get month. Add 5 to third digit to get year conversion. So your serial 1734XXXX would be 17-5=12th month. 3+5=8 which converts to 201(8). At least thats what I read somewhere on the forum.
Thanks a lot. Looks like mine, 0744XXXX, is February 2019.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
Reddig is offline  
post #11415 of 12535 Old 04-05-2019, 06:23 AM
Member
 
BobDyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I finally have Chad scheduled to come to my place in May!


I was wondering if anyone had any advice for what I should do to prepare for his coming. I know I'll need to have the projector on and warmed up, probably about 45 minutes beforehand at least. Other than that, is there something you would suggest I do in the month or so leading up to his visit (I definitely already have enough hours on the bulb, too)?

Get your room as dark as possible in advance. If you already have a batcave you are good!
fredxr2d2 likes this.
BobDyl is online now  
post #11416 of 12535 Old 04-05-2019, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
fredxr2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
Update firmware on all sources/devices in path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Make an outline of what your prefernces are and what modes you'd like him to calibrate for. With that in hand, leave him to do his work; he'll let you know if he has questions.


In my case I asked for SDR2020 (no filter) for use with my Panny 820 player, Rec709 (normal and bright modes), and two HDR curves in case I decide to go with other HDR sources than disc. I told him I like to walk a fine line between black level and shadow detail. I told him I'd prefer no filter engaged, as I didn't want to lose the light output with the filter.


He obliged my requests and delivered great performance.


Edit: I'm not saying that Chad won't be cool with you watching him work. I've done it both ways and while he's very accommodating to answering questions, the last time I just wanted him to have the best environment to do his work without distraction. There's a lot of back and forth he has to do to get things right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
Get your room as dark as possible in advance. If you already have a batcave you are good!

Thanks so much guys! I have a batcave with blackout curtains and the firmware on everything is up to date. I do have an Oppo 203 for UHD playback, so I hope he can make a good looking HDR curve for me (I've finally found some settings that work well, but I'm assuming he will provide much better than my tinkering).


I always feel slightly awkward about technicians doing work in my home - and whether I should stand and watch or just leave them to it. I've noticed with my HVAC provider that the guy works a little bit faster if he has someone to chat with than if I leave him alone, but I can't tell if that is the exception that proves the rule sort of thing. My plan as of now is to be available and nearby while Chad works, but I definitely don't want to mess with his equipment or in any way disrupt his expertise. I am paying him for those two things, after all.
BobDyl likes this.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
fredxr2d2 is online now  
post #11417 of 12535 Old 04-06-2019, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Digione's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I always feel slightly awkward about technicians doing work in my home - and whether I should stand and watch or just leave them to it. I've noticed with my HVAC provider that the guy works a little bit faster if he has someone to chat with than if I leave him alone, but I can't tell if that is the exception that proves the rule sort of thing. My plan as of now is to be available and nearby while Chad works, but I definitely don't want to mess with his equipment or in any way disrupt his expertise. I am paying him for those two things, after all.
Chad calibrated my RS640 that I drive from my 203 or 205, and I could not be happier. I stayed with him during setup and then left him to his own devices, popping in to see how things were going about every 45 minutes. I figured he knew what he was doing . So all I would do is slow him down and distract him. I could not be happier with the results. Chad is a really friendly and helpful guy, not to mention knowledgeable.
Jive Turkey and fredxr2d2 like this.
Digione is offline  
post #11418 of 12535 Old 04-06-2019, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
panman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I watched Hunter Killer on Blu Ray last night on my x7900, damn that’s some fantastic PQ!. Some of the cgi was a bit funky but blacks, picture detail and colours etc looked amazing

JVC DLA-X7900 3D Projector, Sapphire 106" Electric screen, Sony KDL-55W905 3D TV, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic UB820, UB700, BDT-380 MZ, Panasonic DMP-BD60, Sky Q 2TB, Fire TV 4K, Marantz SR7012, 7.1.2, SVS PC2000 Sub, Kef Q600C Centre, Q300 fronts, Ci160QR Ceilings, CA SX60 Surrounds, Harmony 950+hub.
panman40 is offline  
post #11419 of 12535 Old 04-07-2019, 08:02 AM
Senior Member
 
microwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I'm using 820 SDR 2020, 2.3 gamma to RS540 and run it wide open all the time on high brightness. I don't even change it when going from HDR to SDR movies.

Last night movie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00408.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	576.4 KB
ID:	2550050   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00412.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	841.6 KB
ID:	2550052  
woodhead2 likes this.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180 Dual EP500 all V4. ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
microwiz is offline  
post #11420 of 12535 Old 04-07-2019, 08:46 PM
Member
 
movieloverAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi all,

So, this thread starts with Suggestions for SDR Sources and HDR as well...

Can you guys please give me Suggestions for 3D Sources?

I find 3D on my x790 with 153" cinemascope screen (1.1 gain) to be too dark

I want to enjoy 3D movies with decent brightness if possible.

Please help

FYI: I have a panasonic player. Thanks

JVC DLA-X790R projector (RS540)
Denon avr-x6200w Atmos/DTS:X 7.2.4
movieloverAL is offline  
post #11421 of 12535 Old 04-08-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stumlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
I'm using 820 SDR 2020, 2.3 gamma to RS540 and run it wide open all the time on high brightness. I don't even change it when going from HDR to SDR movies.

Last night movie.

On your panasonic, where do you keep your optimizer slider on? Or do you leave at 0?
stumlad is offline  
post #11422 of 12535 Old 04-08-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,749
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieloverAL View Post
Hi all,

So, this thread starts with Suggestions for SDR Sources and HDR as well...

Can you guys please give me Suggestions for 3D Sources?

I find 3D on my x790 with 153" cinemascope screen (1.1 gain) to be too dark

I want to enjoy 3D movies with decent brightness if possible.

Please help

FYI: I have a panasonic player. Thanks
I don't think there is anything better than the default, as you need all the light. You may even have to zoom in smaller. The default 3d setting is high lamp, 0 iris, and I believe there is a unique 3d color profile setting that would obviously not use the filter.
ScottAvery is offline  
post #11423 of 12535 Old 04-09-2019, 12:54 AM
Member
 
movieloverAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I don't think there is anything better than the default, as you need all the light. You may even have to zoom in smaller. The default 3d setting is high lamp, 0 iris, and I believe there is a unique 3d color profile setting that would obviously not use the filter.
Still too dark at 153" scopescreen, even at 115" scope (122" 16x9) movies like Wonder Woman looks like I am wearing sunglasses

I have settings that make 3D look a bit better but looks horrible compared to a 75" HD 3D tv that costs 1/6 of my pj

That is why I hope someone can share good settings since I am outside of US and cant hire ChadB or outside Australia and cant hire Javs

Anyone?
woodhead2 likes this.

JVC DLA-X790R projector (RS540)
Denon avr-x6200w Atmos/DTS:X 7.2.4
movieloverAL is offline  
post #11424 of 12535 Old 04-09-2019, 03:30 AM
Senior Member
 
venkatesh_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieloverAL View Post
Hi all,



So, this thread starts with Suggestions for SDR Sources and HDR as well...



Can you guys please give me Suggestions for 3D Sources?



I find 3D on my x790 with 153" cinemascope screen (1.1 gain) to be too dark



I want to enjoy 3D movies with decent brightness if possible.



Please help



FYI: I have a panasonic player. Thanks
What 3d glasses are you using? Does your screen retain polarization?

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk
venkatesh_m is online now  
post #11425 of 12535 Old 04-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Member
 
movieloverAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m View Post
What 3d glasses are you using? Does your screen retain polarization?

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk
I am using samsung active 3D glasses (I had 6 pairs already), turning my head looks the same.

The screen is a Stewart Filmscreen Cima Neve that I was told has no problems with 3D.

JVC DLA-X790R projector (RS540)
Denon avr-x6200w Atmos/DTS:X 7.2.4
movieloverAL is offline  
post #11426 of 12535 Old 04-09-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,749
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieloverAL View Post
Still too dark at 153" scopescreen, even at 115" scope (122" 16x9) movies like Wonder Woman looks like I am wearing sunglasses

I have settings that make 3D look a bit better but looks horrible compared to a 75" HD 3D tv that costs 1/6 of my pj

That is why I hope someone can share good settings since I am outside of US and cant hire ChadB or outside Australia and cant hire Javs

Anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieloverAL View Post
I am using samsung active 3D glasses (I had 6 pairs already), turning my head looks the same.

The screen is a Stewart Filmscreen Cima Neve that I was told has no problems with 3D.
You have a lot invested in your home theater journey but it appears your expectations and reality parted company a few miles ago.

3d gives up half of your brightness, so you need to find a way of doubling it, actually, or effectively.

If you are not watching in total light control, then address the room first. What is the situation in your room? Is your investment in black velvet enough to put a goth/emo teen to shame or do you have a white ceiling to complement that big white screen?

The best solution may be a new screen, but it sounds like you have already invested in a nice Stewart. You might still consider a secondary screen. If your Stewart is fixed, then a higher gain motorized screen that drops in front may help.

If the setup accommodates, you might consider a second, dedicated 3d projector instead, like the Optoma HD29Darbee or HD39Darbee.

Are you already using an A-lens? There are several gains you could get by going anamorphic. Zooming for a scope screen that large guarantees an unacceptable 3d image. A lens would add at least 30% more brightness, more if you are also moving the projector closer. A cylindrical horizontal expansion lens combined with minimal throw and a curved, moderate gain screen is going to significantly increase light on screen for scope movies.
ScottAvery is offline  
post #11427 of 12535 Old 04-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Senior Member
 
microwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post
On your panasonic, where do you keep your optimizer slider on? Or do you leave at 0?

lol I have it set to +12 because i'm a brightness freak Dark i'm usually +3 so I don't have any black crush but even with those settings blacks still look good for darker scenes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00376.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	2550874   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00234_edited.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	716.9 KB
ID:	2550876  

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180 Dual EP500 all V4. ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
microwiz is offline  
post #11428 of 12535 Old 04-10-2019, 03:49 AM
Member
 
movieloverAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
You have a lot invested in your home theater journey but it appears your expectations and reality parted company a few miles ago.

3d gives up half of your brightness, so you need to find a way of doubling it, actually, or effectively.

If you are not watching in total light control, then address the room first. What is the situation in your room? Is your investment in black velvet enough to put a goth/emo teen to shame or do you have a white ceiling to complement that big white screen?

The best solution may be a new screen, but it sounds like you have already invested in a nice Stewart. You might still consider a secondary screen. If your Stewart is fixed, then a higher gain motorized screen that drops in front may help.

If the setup accommodates, you might consider a second, dedicated 3d projector instead, like the Optoma HD29Darbee or HD39Darbee.

Are you already using an A-lens? There are several gains you could get by going anamorphic. Zooming for a scope screen that large guarantees an unacceptable 3d image. A lens would add at least 30% more brightness, more if you are also moving the projector closer. A cylindrical horizontal expansion lens combined with minimal throw and a curved, moderate gain screen is going to significantly increase light on screen for scope movies.
I agree, my 3D expectations were not met at all, especially after I spent 10 times what my 3D tv cost me. (PJ + screen)

Yep, I have a dark room, you need light to walk in there

Not going to consider another screen unless it´s something like the Dalite HP 2.8 at a very cheap price.

I have just a few 3D movies, so a dedicated 3D pj would be a hard sell for my economy.

Now, the A lens sounds nice, but I was told the good ones aren´t cheap and that you affect the 16x9 projection (which is like 80% or more of my watching), that most models you have to put on/off every time.

I just wanted a few of you to share your 3D settings, I remember a few 3D pics a couple of years ago that looked awesome with the RS500 or RS600 in the owners thread.

Thanks for your help

JVC DLA-X790R projector (RS540)
Denon avr-x6200w Atmos/DTS:X 7.2.4
movieloverAL is offline  
post #11429 of 12535 Old 04-11-2019, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieloverAL View Post
I agree, my 3D expectations were not met at all, especially after I spent 10 times what my 3D tv cost me. (PJ + screen)



Yep, I have a dark room, you need light to walk in there



Not going to consider another screen unless it´s something like the Dalite HP 2.8 at a very cheap price.



I have just a few 3D movies, so a dedicated 3D pj would be a hard sell for my economy.



Now, the A lens sounds nice, but I was told the good ones aren´t cheap and that you affect the 16x9 projection (which is like 80% or more of my watching), that most models you have to put on/off every time.



I just wanted a few of you to share your 3D settings, I remember a few 3D pics a couple of years ago that looked awesome with the RS500 or RS600 in the owners thread.



Thanks for your help
I can post my later on but it seems to me like your screen is just a big too big.. my screen is 125 in 1.1 and I use low lamp and I even close the iris some..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #11430 of 12535 Old 04-11-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieloverAL View Post
I agree, my 3D expectations were not met at all, especially after I spent 10 times what my 3D tv cost me. (PJ + screen)

Yep, I have a dark room, you need light to walk in there

Not going to consider another screen unless it´s something like the Dalite HP 2.8 at a very cheap price.

I have just a few 3D movies, so a dedicated 3D pj would be a hard sell for my economy.

Now, the A lens sounds nice, but I was told the good ones aren´t cheap and that you affect the 16x9 projection (which is like 80% or more of my watching), that most models you have to put on/off every time.

I just wanted a few of you to share your 3D settings, I remember a few 3D pics a couple of years ago that looked awesome with the RS500 or RS600 in the owners thread.

Thanks for your help
Is this your first experience with a 3D projector? Home 3D projection has the same problem that commercial theater has... image brightness. The JVC RS540 is better than the Sony HW30 I had but I also have to factor in its a newer bulb and therefore brighter. Active shutter systems will destroy your bright image. Its a tradeoff.

Im projecting onto a 120-in 16:9 screen. I would not go any bigger for 3D and HDR is hit/miss at this size too with a unity gain screen. Even with a high gain screen you're going to have other tradeoffs like hotspotting.

If you're used to 3D brightness with a flat planel, then you are never going to meet expectations with a supersized projector screen and a 1500 to 2000 lumens projector.

Toknowshita is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off