Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 389 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31171Likes

post #11641 of 12012 Old 05-13-2019, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hello all,
Newbie X790 owner here.
I have my projector installed on a rear shelf with a 50' Monoprice HDMI cable (the fiber optic cable with 18Gbps capability).
The HDMI is connected to a brand new Yamaha CX-A5100 processor and my sources are primarily a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X for various streaming apps (Plex, Youtube, Netflix, etc) and Bluray and 4k BR discs, and some light gaming. I'm projecting onto my trusty Dalite HCCV fixed screen at 133" diagonal as has been the case for over 13 years.
Here is the thing...first of all the projector was an upgrade from an aging Epson 8350, so it's a quantum leap forward in picture quality even though it is not being used in a dedicated light controlled theater room.
My main issue is a strange one...intermittent HDMI signal dropouts. When I say intermittent, I mean once every 2 or 3 hours but sometimes none over a 4-5 hour period. By "dropout" I mean video only is affected and the audio continues uninterrupted.

I get a black screen with audio (no lines or noise or speckles or anything before or afterwards) and this lasts about 15 seconds at which point the projector locks on and the image appears again. I thought this was related to high bandwidth situations (gaming in 4K HDR playing Red Dead Redemption 2) but the "blackout" has also happened while watching a movie at 24fps and not in HDR...though maybe only 2 or 3 times in 6 months.

I have tried changing some of the 6' cables from sources to processor but haven't noticed anything.
Anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be given the symptoms?
Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11642 of 12012 Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I need a little help. So I initially thought my screen was out of square but it’s height is only off by less than 1/16th from one end to the next via height. But for some reason when I zoom in to fill the screen I get the top right corner too large (mostly In height) the left side fills well the right side is mostly good the bottom is perfect but that top right corner is nearly an inch higher than the left (again 1/16th off a left square screen). I also though maybe it’s angles but no the bottom of the screen is perfectly level (maybe 1/32nd) of a variation measured via a tape measure. So if my image is flat on the bottom and not level on top how can I fix this. I would buy another screen but like I said this one is actually very square. Just hate to have a 117inch image rather than 120 inch. Especially since this isn’t a $500 projector. Maybe There’s a secret setting I don’t know about. Like some epsons have a corner adjust keystone option. Does jvc have this hidden somewhere as I spent an hour on every option trying to get it set correctly. Btw using a jvc x790r
post #11643 of 12012 Old 05-13-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I need a little help. So I initially thought my screen was out of square but it’s height is only off by less than 1/16th from one end to the next via height. But for some reason when I zoom in to fill the screen I get the top right corner too large (mostly In height) the left side fills well the right side is mostly good the bottom is perfect but that top right corner is nearly an inch higher than the left (again 1/16th off a left square screen). I also though maybe it’s angles but no the bottom of the screen is perfectly level (maybe 1/32nd) of a variation measured via a tape measure. So if my image is flat on the bottom and not level on top how can I fix this. I would buy another screen but like I said this one is actually very square. Just hate to have a 117inch image rather than 120 inch. Especially since this isn’t a $500 projector. Maybe There’s a secret setting I don’t know about. Like some epsons have a corner adjust keystone option. Does jvc have this hidden somewhere as I spent an hour on every option trying to get it set correctly. Btw using a jvc x790r
If the image is taller on the right than on the left, the most likely cause is the projector is not “square” with the screen. Turn the projector slightly towards the left, and use the horizontal lens shift to re-center the image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11644 of 12012 Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPagoulatos View Post
Hello all,
Newbie X790 owner here.
I have my projector installed on a rear shelf with a 50' Monoprice HDMI cable (the fiber optic cable with 18Gbps capability).
The HDMI is connected to a brand new Yamaha CX-A5100 processor and my sources are primarily a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X for various streaming apps (Plex, Youtube, Netflix, etc) and Bluray and 4k BR discs, and some light gaming. I'm projecting onto my trusty Dalite HCCV fixed screen at 133" diagonal as has been the case for over 13 years.
Here is the thing...first of all the projector was an upgrade from an aging Epson 8350, so it's a quantum leap forward in picture quality even though it is not being used in a dedicated light controlled theater room.
My main issue is a strange one...intermittent HDMI signal dropouts. When I say intermittent, I mean once every 2 or 3 hours but sometimes none over a 4-5 hour period. By "dropout" I mean video only is affected and the audio continues uninterrupted.

I get a black screen with audio (no lines or noise or speckles or anything before or afterwards) and this lasts about 15 seconds at which point the projector locks on and the image appears again. I thought this was related to high bandwidth situations (gaming in 4K HDR playing Red Dead Redemption 2) but the "blackout" has also happened while watching a movie at 24fps and not in HDR...though maybe only 2 or 3 times in 6 months.

I have tried changing some of the 6' cables from sources to processor but haven't noticed anything.
Thanks for any help!

It sounds like drop out from the length of you HDMI cable. Even with fiber, 50 ft is a long run for an un-powered cable. You could try plugging your cable directly into the source, that would increase the signal level slightly and see if you still have the dropouts.

Earl
post #11645 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Even if the light in the fiber is generated by the cable's own optical drivers, an optical fiber cable is not only made of fibers (4), there are also a number of copper wires within that cable and they may not be up to the required quality for that length.
post #11646 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6400 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
I'm considering the X790R, how does it compare to the 5050UB (in regards to black levels, brightness, HDR) and the HT5550 (in regards to the sharpness, resolution and color fidelity)?

I would love to find a refurb/used one, or a discounted new one to justify the price. Would anyone point me to the right direction?
JVC throws a better picture. If you are looking for used, there is a classified section on this forum.... <<< Click Here >>>
thrillcat likes this.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 05-14-2019 at 07:23 AM.
post #11647 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Hello all,
Newbie X790 owner here.

Thanks for any help!
I would contact Monoprice for a replacement.
DennisPagoulatos likes this.
post #11648 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhart View Post
I would contact Monoprice for a replacement.
I actually did just that earlier this morning. It's been bugging me for the last couple of months but having to fish another cable though my wall/ceiling again is such a nightmare that I've been putting it off.
I'm planning to ask Monoprice for a replacement at 40' since the extra 10' isn't needed; the shorter the better, right?
post #11649 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
... I'm planning to ask Monoprice for a replacement at 40' since the extra 10' isn't needed; the shorter the better, right?
Absolutely right, best to avoid unnecessary length on a long run like yours. That said, 6 feet / 1 meter is the holy grail when possible.

"Get me a scotch. I'm starving." JVC DLA RS-540U, Stewart ST 130 G3, Yamaha RX-A3080, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, Xfinity X1, Roku, ATV, Harmony 900.  Atmos 7.2.4 via Martin Logan Stage-X, Martin Logan Theos x2, Martin Logan FX x2, Sonance VP69 x2, Sonance VP66 x4, SVS PC12-NSD x2. Viewer's choice between Palliser recliners x7 or Great Dane beds x2.
post #11650 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW, I am running a 40 foot Monoprice Cabernet Active HDMI cable to my RS540. Back when I first installed our prior Epson projector circa 2013, we had occasional but irritating handshake issues. The HDMI cable in place at that time was an AudioQuest Forest that a prior owner had hired an AV contractor to install. I replaced it with the Monoprice Cabernet, and never had another handshake drop after that.

When I installed our RS540 last December, I wondered whether those problems might reappear given the additional signal load on the cable, but it has been absolutely perfect. (Knock on wood.)

"Get me a scotch. I'm starving." JVC DLA RS-540U, Stewart ST 130 G3, Yamaha RX-A3080, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, Xfinity X1, Roku, ATV, Harmony 900.  Atmos 7.2.4 via Martin Logan Stage-X, Martin Logan Theos x2, Martin Logan FX x2, Sonance VP69 x2, Sonance VP66 x4, SVS PC12-NSD x2. Viewer's choice between Palliser recliners x7 or Great Dane beds x2.
post #11651 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
FWIW, I am running a 40 foot Monoprice Cabernet Active HDMI cable to my RS540. Back when I first installed our prior Epson projector circa 2013, we had occasional but irritating handshake issues. The HDMI cable in place at that time was an AudioQuest Forest that a prior owner had hired an AV contractor to install. I replaced it with the Monoprice Cabernet, and never had another handshake drop after that.

When I installed our RS540 last December, I wondered whether those problems might reappear given the additional signal load on the cable, but it has been absolutely perfect. (Knock on wood.)
Is it worth trying out an active cable? I may want to pop a second cable in while I'm pulling my hair out fishing a new one- may as well do a second or third to have backups.
post #11652 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Is it worth trying out an active cable? I may want to pop a second cable in while I'm pulling my hair out fishing a new one- may as well do a second or third to have backups.
Backups are always good. When I upgraded to the JVC projector this winter, the HDMI cable I had run through the wall/ceiling would not pass the 4K signal. Luckily when I did my remodel I had run a couple other cables that weren't in use, and one of those was able to pass the 4K signal.

If you're even considering running an active cable, you should probably just do it. I'd also run a duplicate of the passive cable and a couple CAT6 lines. You never know what you're going to need in a couple years.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #11653 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post

Welp...Monoprice refuses to replace my 50' cable with a 40' cable of the same exact type. I can only laugh at the ridiculousness since it technically saves them money to ship a shorter cable out but whatever. Since they won't ship a replacement until they receive the old one (ugh), I went ahead and ordered a "Luxe" series active cable at 35' so I can hopefully keep the projector up and running while I wait. And it gives me the opportunity to try out a new cable since I'll be fishing around in my ceiling again anyway...
post #11654 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Since I've had success with an active cable, it would make sense to me. That would cost more obviously, but it's physically placing the line that can be such a PITA. If running a second cable spares you having to do a difficult job twice, it could be worth the incremental expense of one more cable.

Another option could be to buy a roll of something like Klein Pulling Line. Similar products are sold everywhere, they're cheap, and depending on exactly where and how you are running a cable / wire, a left-behind pull cord can make any future installs faster and easier.

I have no idea how many miles of that stuff I have running around my house, but I'm always happy when I see that little cord poking out to give me the option. 👍

post #11655 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Backups are always good.
Truer words have never been spoken.

post #11656 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I use a 30' active fiber HDMI cable that I spent something like $150 on. It was money well spent as it was a PIA to run in through the ceiling, but it works flawlessly.

My recently upgraded 20 year old basement theater: 7.1 ch setup with JVC x790r projector; 100" Stewart 16x9 screen, Panasonic 820 UHD player; Marantz AV7704 pre-pro; Marantz MM8077 7 ch Amp; PSA v1811 subwoofer; Atlantic Technology 20 year old speakers
post #11657 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoFatherof3 View Post
I use a 30' active fiber HDMI cable that I spent something like $150 on. It was money well spent as it was a PIA to run in through the ceiling, but it works flawlessly.
That's basically what I spent on my current cable; it's 50' fiber optic and supposedly for runs of up to 330'. I specifically wanted to avoid exactly the issue I'm having because of all the horror stories I've read over the years with long HDMI runs and 4K.
I'm still not 100% convinced it IS the cable...could be just a quirk of my particular setup (PS4/XB1X---->Yamaha CXA5100---->JVC X790) but since it annoys me, I'm willing to try swapping cables out.
post #11658 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
That's basically what I spent on my current cable; it's 50' fiber optic and supposedly for runs of up to 330'. I specifically wanted to avoid exactly the issue I'm having because of all the horror stories I've read over the years with long HDMI runs and 4K.
I'm still not 100% convinced it IS the cable...could be just a quirk of my particular setup (PS4/XB1X---->Yamaha CXA5100---->JVC X790) but since it annoys me, I'm willing to try swapping cables out.
One thing that can be a factor in HDMI handshaking issues is the power on sequence of the equipment in the chain. In my case, it's projector, then AV receiver and finally the actual video source. You can play with that to see if it makes a difference.
post #11659 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
One thing that can be a factor in HDMI handshaking issues is the power on sequence of the equipment in the chain. In my case, it's projector, then AV receiver and finally the actual video source. You can play with that to see if it makes a difference.
I never thought of that at all...
I usually power on the projector last.
Do you wait until the projector is completely on and started (after D-ILA logo appears on screen) before powering the rest of your stuff on?
post #11660 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I never thought of that at all...
I usually power on the projector last.
Do you wait until the projector is completely on and started (after D-ILA logo appears on screen) before powering the rest of your stuff on?
I use a Logitech Harmony universal remote and the software allows me to proscribe the turn on sequence. I could also insert delay times but have never bothered. I don't think that the delay between components is an issue.

Good luck!
post #11661 of 12012 Old 05-14-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I use a Logitech Harmony universal remote and the software allows me to proscribe the turn on sequence. I could also insert delay times but have never bothered. I don't think that the delay between components is an issue.

Good luck!
Thanks- I will try using the projector tonight and turn it on first in the chain.
If I leave it on long enough (usually 2 hours), I always get at least 1 dropout so this will be easy to confirm...
post #11662 of 12012 Old 05-15-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
My setup is almost the same as yours (XB1X --> Denon X4300H -->JVC x790). I am using the 50' monoprice fiber optic cable between the receiver and projector. Between the XB1X just using the hdmi cable that came with the xbox. I am running plex, 4k games 4k netflix and 4k HDR blurays without a single drop out in over a year. I have read that some receivers have better HDMI outs than others.
post #11663 of 12012 Old 05-15-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks- I will try using the projector tonight and turn it on first in the chain.
If I leave it on long enough (usually 2 hours), I always get at least 1 dropout so this will be easy to confirm...
I powered the projector on first last night and got a dropout like clockwork after about 2 hours...I think it's just a faulty cable. Everything in the chain is basically new equipment (the processor, the sources, and the projector were all purchased around the same time) so it may just be bad luck with the cable...
post #11664 of 12012 Old 05-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I powered the projector on first last night and got a dropout like clockwork after about 2 hours ...
Bob Pariseau's recently updated "Field Guide to HDMI Failures" is a great read for anyone struggling with handshake issues. Bob is a longtime AVS forum contributor -- smart guy, good guy. 👍
Dominic Chan likes this.

post #11665 of 12012 Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Bulb question- I'm very much enjoying my RS540; no issues, and it appears to be a keeper. I'd like to keep a spare bulb on hand, and am wondering if there is any reason not to just get the bulb, rather than the whole lamp assembly, assuming that I get the OEM bulb, which I believe is the USHIO. Since it appears to be easily installed, wondering why some of us spring for the whole assembly, at several times the price.
thephatness and woodhead2 like this.
post #11666 of 12012 Old 05-19-2019, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by petexian View Post
Yes and it’s working fine. I’m happy with it so far. I will take a light reading next week after 100 hrs.
How's that lamp working out for you?
post #11667 of 12012 Old 05-20-2019, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Quick question for those who enjoy 3D, can the RS-540 work with IR 3D glasses? I have an RF remote system in my theater and am worried that RF glasses will interfere. I probably should RTFM but I’m guessing you folks would have a better real world knowledge

Thanks!
post #11668 of 12012 Old 05-20-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpltongue View Post
Quick question for those who enjoy 3D, can the RS-540 work with IR 3D glasses?
It does, but you need an IR emitter (PK-EM1 or equivalent).
post #11669 of 12012 Old 05-20-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
It does, but you need an IR emitter (PK-EM1 or equivalent).

Thanks! Any issues with IR that I should be aware of? Obviously I’ll need to have good line of sight, but I think I’ve got that sorted out. I’ll mount the emitter on the ceiling out in front of the projector facing back towards the seats.
post #11670 of 12012 Old 05-20-2019, 10:10 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpltongue View Post
Thanks! Any issues with IR that I should be aware of? Obviously I’ll need to have good line of sight, but I think I’ve got that sorted out. I’ll mount the emitter on the ceiling out in front of the projector facing back towards the seats.
Quite a lot of my AV gear remote controls stopped working completely while the IR 3D was in action. The RF setup is much better.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page