Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 393 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31171Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11761 of 12027 Old 06-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
once it's cooled off, I would try unplugging it, remove the lamp, firmly re-seat it and try again. it's worth a quick try.
I assumed it wouldn't be a lamp issue because it does turn on and I get the blue screen. it just doesn't pick up any image from a source and turns off, giving those errors.
right?
Naylorman32 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11762 of 12027 Old 06-03-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,718
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
I assumed it wouldn't be a lamp issue because it does turn on and I get the blue screen. it just doesn't pick up any image from a source and turns off, giving those errors.
right?

it's still worth a shot before sending it in. is it still in warranty? this is the company that repairs JVC's in and out of warranty.

https://mendtronix.com/projector-repair/
Naylorman32 likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #11763 of 12027 Old 06-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Hey guys,

When are you all replacing bulbs? I'm at 1500hrs on my 540 and thinking it might be time.

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - JVC DLA-RS540 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R DIY Fusion 15 Sentinel - Surrounds RSL CG3 - Ceiling Polk RC80i - Dual UM-18s in sealed 4 cu ft with bridged Crown XLS 2002s
klimo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11764 of 12027 Old 06-04-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,041
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6422 Post(s)
Liked: 6408
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimo View Post
Hey guys,

When are you all replacing bulbs? I'm at 1500hrs on my 540 and thinking it might be time.
Well you can always get a new bulb and see what the new one is like, but don't throw away the old one till you know Some guys are just buying the bulb and not the whole assembly.

The rumor mill keeps humming, saying there might be more of 540U hitting the USA. Odds are though, when/if those are gone they are gone forever......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #11765 of 12027 Old 06-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it's still worth a shot before sending it in. is it still in warranty? this is the company that repairs JVC's in and out of warranty.

https://mendtronix.com/projector-repair/

So I did remove the lamp, let it sit, then put it back together. same thing.

Anyone else have an idea? or experience with this issue?
Naylorman32 is online now  
post #11766 of 12027 Old 06-04-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
talon95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Well you can always get a new bulb and see what the new one is like, but don't throw away the old one till you know Some guys are just buying the bulb and not the whole assembly.

The rumor mill keeps humming, saying there might be more of 540U hitting the USA. Odds are though, when/if those are gone they are gone forever......
Or buy a light meter that costs less than the lamp and verify the old one is too dim. This is the one I have that seems to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
talon95 is offline  
post #11767 of 12027 Old 06-05-2019, 04:59 AM
Member
 
FGEvans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
It's irrelevant what others are using, the trick is actually matching the input to the source devices output. Kind of sounds like the JVC is not matching the source, so try enhanced, if that works you are all good.

I use auto with limited range RGB out from my htpc btw.
Hi Jav - i note from your settings for madvr that you have madvr to expect to receive 0-255 - however you state you use limited output from the PC - does that not cause an issue
FGEvans is offline  
post #11768 of 12027 Old 06-05-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6792 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGEvans View Post
Hi Jav - i note from your settings for madvr that you have madvr to expect to receive 0-255 - however you state you use limited output from the PC - does that not cause an issue
No issue with banding in the last few years no.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #11769 of 12027 Old 06-06-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,651
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 View Post
That sounds odd, Thunder and the house of magic does indeed have excellent 3D and pop out. Might be an idea to reset the 3D settings in both OPPO and projector. I’ve always found the best setting for parallax is the default 0.
There's not much to reset, but I have put it back to 0 on the parallax slider. I went ahead and moved the crosstalk slider up to 8 as it is so much brighter and does not seem to have any negative effect. Glad to have at least learned that from this experience, as well as the information about warming up the panels before starting 3d.

I still don't see dramatic pop outs and environmental stuff like rain never breaks the plane of the screen. I really want to see Avatar like I did in theaters with all the floating seeds way out in front of the screen...
ScottAvery is offline  
post #11770 of 12027 Old 06-06-2019, 06:27 AM
Member
 
FGEvans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
No issue with banding in the last few years no.
cheers

do you still use your curves or have you moved to the madvr tone mapping (or can both be used at the same time)

is there a recommended gamma setting for the projector when using madvr tone mapping ie 2.2, 2.4 or ST2084

also i game and watch movies on my projector and cant work out whether to simply leave my nvdiea settings at stock on the pc or change them depending on whether watching a fim or gaming. my gtx1080 is currently set at 8 Bit Full RGB. I think thats the default setting.

on my system there seems little difference between 8 Bit Full RGB for HDR titles (games) and 10 bit 4:2:2 (limited).

HDR films also look fine on my projector at the stock RGB 8 bit full settings. Cant see any banding as such. Should i change however my nvidea settings to 10 bit 4:4:2 when watching any HDR movies on my projector.

Last edited by FGEvans; 06-07-2019 at 07:13 AM.
FGEvans is offline  
post #11771 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
neo_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Is anyone using a longer HDMI cable, around 30ft? For those who do, which cable are you using?
I'm getting a JVC X7900 next week, and evaluating which cable i should get.

I'm using an HTPC with MadVR, and i use it only for 1:1 UHD/BR Rips, so i'm hopping i do not need an Hybrid Fiber cable, as i would like to save some cash, budget is already stretched with a new JVC and the required Chief Mount.

I'm considering trying this Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI.
Any real world experience with long HDMI cables with the JVC?
neo_2009 is online now  
post #11772 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,718
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
Is anyone using a longer HDMI cable, around 30ft? For those who do, which cable are you using?
I'm getting a JVC X7900 next week, and evaluating which cable i should get.

I'm using an HTPC with MadVR, and i use it only for 1:1 UHD/BR Rips, so i'm hopping i do not need an Hybrid Fiber cable, as i would like to save some cash, budget is already stretched with a new JVC and the required Chief Mount.

I'm considering trying this Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI.
Any real world experience with long HDMI cables with the JVC?
Those are great cables, I have over 40+ feet of this in my chain and it never misses a beat, all the way up to 4K/60 HDR. I also have an HTPC + MadVR as a source.
neo_2009 and catav like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #11773 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
neo_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Those are great cables, I have over 40+ feet of this in my chain and it never misses a beat, all the way up to 4K/60 HDR. I also have an HTPC + MadVR as a source.
Thank you, its great to know
zombie10k and catav like this.
neo_2009 is online now  
post #11774 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 03:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I go from HTPC/ Nvidia 1070 GPU directly to JVC RS540 using that exact HDMI cable in 25 foot version. I run MadVR (with tone mapping) so I’m only outputting SDR2020 to projector. I tried MadVR outputting HDR, but preferred SDR2020. I run MPC-HC with video render set to MadVR. I use Nvidia Control Panel to resize Win7 desktop to fit scope screen area (3840 by 1600), and then adjust Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, Digital Vibrance for each movie, all with NCP. My 2.37 scope screen is 143” diagonal, so I need all the brightness I can get and SDR2020 is about twice the brightness(nits) as HDR. The HDMI cable "Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed" has worked flawlessly for my situation.
neo_2009 likes this.
catav is online now  
post #11775 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
neo_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Currently, i'm using an Optoma HD87, with a 103" 2.35:1 screen. The Optoma has a very interesting feature, called superwide, that basically cuts part of the Sides, Top and Bottom:


After applying the Superwide function, i use a 2.35:1 movie to zoom the image to fill the screen.
I also have some velvet panels on Top and Bottom, that "absorbs" the extra light on 16:9 movies, and with this, i'm able to maintain a constant image ratio.
For me, this a perfect solution, even loosing some of the information on 16:9 movies.

From JVC manual, page 50, i assume this could be achievable using Masking:


Has any owner tried something similar?
neo_2009 is online now  
post #11776 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,462
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
Currently, i'm using an Optoma HD87, with a 103" 2.35:1 screen. The Optoma has a very interesting feature, called superwide, that basically cuts part of the Sides, Top and Bottom:


After applying the Superwide function, i use a 2.35:1 movie to zoom the image to fill the screen.
I also have some velvet panels on Top and Bottom, that "absorbs" the extra light on 16:9 movies, and with this, i'm able to maintain a constant image ratio.
For me, this a perfect solution, even loosing some of the information on 16:9 movies.

Has any owner tried something similar?
Many JVC owners with 2.35 screens do do that, masking off the top and bottom parts so that 16:9 images fit on the screen without resizing.

What I don’t understand is why the Optoma masks off the sides, making the aspect ratio narrower than 2.35:1.
neo_2009 likes this.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #11777 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Dennis.Mitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: N Massapequa, NY USA
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
Is anyone using a longer HDMI cable, around 30ft? For those who do, which cable are you using?
I'm getting a JVC X7900 next week, and evaluating which cable i should get.

I'm using an HTPC with MadVR, and i use it only for 1:1 UHD/BR Rips, so i'm hopping i do not need an Hybrid Fiber cable, as i would like to save some cash, budget is already stretched with a new JVC and the required Chief Mount.

I'm considering trying this Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI.
Any real world experience with long HDMI cables with the JVC?
I purchased the Monoprice cable (3ft) and (30ft) via Amazon a few weeks ago for my new RS540. It is working fine. The nVidia Shield is pumping 4k 4:4:4 to Marantz SR7013 to RS540.
neo_2009 likes this.

Dennis
Dennis.Mitchell is offline  
post #11778 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
Currently, i'm using an Optoma HD87, with a 103" 2.35:1 screen. The Optoma has a very interesting feature, called superwide, that basically cuts part of the Sides, Top and Bottom:


After applying the Superwide function, i use a 2.35:1 movie to zoom the image to fill the screen.
I also have some velvet panels on Top and Bottom, that "absorbs" the extra light on 16:9 movies, and with this, i'm able to maintain a constant image ratio.
For me, this a perfect solution, even loosing some of the information on 16:9 movies.

From JVC manual, page 50, i assume this could be achievable using Masking:


Has any owner tried something similar?
I also have black velvet all around my screen wall. I’ve tried JVC digital masking alone, but found that Nvidia Control Panel resize function in combination with JVC digital masking to work better for me. The Windows task bar and MPC-HC movie control bar are always accessible/visible when using the NCP resize function. I resized the desktop to fit on my 2.37:1 scope screen. The closest NCP would let me chose was (3762x1620) = 2.32 A/R. I have very little information over scanned off the screen (top, bottom, or sides). By the way, Nvidia will add this custom size to the Windows screen resolutions it lets you pick from. It also “remembers” your custom size when you reboot the PC. Couldn’t be easier.

JVC digital masking alone would work, but it basically cuts off the over scanned area of a normal 16x9 desktop. Much better to see as much of the desktop as possible and avoid as much over scan as possible. I feel that it makes for a cleaner presentation also. I’m really liking my first Nvidia GPU/ JVC RS540 combo.
neo_2009 likes this.
catav is online now  
post #11779 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
neo_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by catav View Post
... The Windows task bar and MPC-HC movie control bar are always accessible/visible when using the NCP resize function. I resized the desktop to fit on my 2.37:1 scope screen...
I have configured the HTPC to behave like a regular player: no user authentication, launcher4kodi loads Kodi on startup, so the only thing i interact is with the Kodi interface
catav likes this.
neo_2009 is online now  
post #11780 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
thank goodness for warranty

So im getting my replacement 540 next week.

Question: is it possible to transfer over my calibration from one unit to the new one? like can I download it then upload it to the new one?
Naylorman32 is online now  
post #11781 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,462
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
thank goodness for warranty

So im getting my replacement 540 next week.

Question: is it possible to transfer over my calibration from one unit to the new one? like can I download it then upload it to the new one?
You could “transfer” the calibrations (custom gamma, custom colour temperature etc), but they would not be valid for the new projector.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #11782 of 12027 Old 06-07-2019, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stumlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Nice. I will definitely have to try this out!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by catav View Post
I also have black velvet all around my screen wall. I’ve tried JVC digital masking alone, but found that Nvidia Control Panel resize function in combination with JVC digital masking to work better for me. The Windows task bar and MPC-HC movie control bar are always accessible/visible when using the NCP resize function. I resized the desktop to fit on my 2.37:1 scope screen. The closest NCP would let me chose was (3762x1620) = 2.32 A/R. I have very little information over scanned off the screen (top, bottom, or sides). By the way, Nvidia will add this custom size to the Windows screen resolutions it lets you pick from. It also “remembers” your custom size when you reboot the PC. Couldn’t be easier.

JVC digital masking alone would work, but it basically cuts off the over scanned area of a normal 16x9 desktop. Much better to see as much of the desktop as possible and avoid as much over scan as possible. I feel that it makes for a cleaner presentation also. I’m really liking my first Nvidia GPU/ JVC RS540 combo.
catav likes this.
stumlad is offline  
post #11783 of 12027 Old 06-08-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: California's Redwood Coast
Posts: 1,395
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
Is anyone using a longer HDMI cable, around 30ft? For those who do, which cable are you using?
I'm getting a JVC X7900 next week, and evaluating which cable i should get.

I'm using an HTPC with MadVR, and i use it only for 1:1 UHD/BR Rips, so i'm hopping i do not need an Hybrid Fiber cable, as i would like to save some cash, budget is already stretched with a new JVC and the required Chief Mount.

I'm considering trying this Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI.
Any real world experience with long HDMI cables with the JVC?
The cable is working nicely for me. It's a 30-foot version.
neo_2009 likes this.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
johng is offline  
post #11784 of 12027 Old 06-08-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
neo_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
The cable is working nicely for me. It's a 30-foot version.
Thank you all for the feedback, i've ordered a 30ft (AV to JVC) and a 10ft (HTPC to AV) cables.
It will be installed inside a 2" conduit, so its easily swapped in the future if needed.

With the expected EOL for the X series, the X7900 at current "bargain" prices, and the "high" prices of the 4K models, i not counting in changing the JVC for the next 5 years at least.
The HD87 still throws an amazing image, even for 4K HDR downscaled and tone mapped by madVR, it only struggles with low APL scenes due to its low native contrast.

I'm really excited and anxious to receive the X7900, with my small 103" 2.35:1 Projecta (Da-Lite) HD progressive 0.9, i should be able to close the iris a good amount, and still have a lot of brightness to spare.

I've also ordered all the Chief gear needed :
- Chief RPA281
- Chief SLB281
- Chief CMA101
- Chief CMS003

It will be a pain to mount the support, we will have to go to the roof, so the mounting is installed on concrete, and not on the plasterboard ceiling.
Nevertheless, i'm counting that the Chief mount will last a lifetime, so it will be worth it
neo_2009 is online now  
post #11785 of 12027 Old 06-08-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: California's Redwood Coast
Posts: 1,395
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
Thank you all for the feedback, i've ordered a 30ft (AV to JVC) and a 10ft (HTPC to AV) cables.
It will be installed inside a 2" conduit, so its easily swapped in the future if needed.

With the expected EOL for the X series, the X7900 at current "bargain" prices, and the "high" prices of the 4K models, i not counting in changing the JVC for the next 5 years at least.
The HD87 still throws an amazing image, even for 4K HDR downscaled and tone mapped by madVR, it only struggles with low APL scenes due to its low native contrast.

I'm really excited and anxious to receive the X7900, with my small 103" 2.35:1 Projecta (Da-Lite) HD progressive 0.9, i should be able to close the iris a good amount, and still have a lot of brightness to spare.

I've also ordered all the Chief gear needed :
- Chief RPA281
- Chief SLB281
- Chief CMA101
- Chief CMS003

It will be a pain to mount the support, we will have to go to the roof, so the mounting is installed on concrete, and not on the plasterboard ceiling.
Nevertheless, i'm counting that the Chief mount will last a lifetime, so it will be worth it
Good call on the conduit. I didn't do that while moving into a new house, remodeling, opening walls & ceiling, etc. If there was one thing I wish I could "do over" it is the conduit. If I need to change cables I'm faced with opening up walls and ceilings.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
johng is offline  
post #11786 of 12027 Old 06-09-2019, 03:24 AM
Senior Member
 
the_jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
Is anyone using a longer HDMI cable, around 30ft? For those who do, which cable are you using?
I'm getting a JVC X7900 next week, and evaluating which cable i should get.

I'm using an HTPC with MadVR, and i use it only for 1:1 UHD/BR Rips, so i'm hopping i do not need an Hybrid Fiber cable, as i would like to save some cash, budget is already stretched with a new JVC and the required Chief Mount.

I'm considering trying this Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI.
Any real world experience with long HDMI cables with the JVC?
My 25 feet Amazon Basics cable couldn't drive 4:4:4 8 bit 60 hz signal (could only do 30 hz). After a bunch of reading of the HDMI cable thread that has extensive reviews of various cables, I ended up going with a 10 meter (33 feet) Ruipro cable from Amazon (they had a 19% off coupon) and it works perfect now - no issues whatsoever.
the_jaguar is offline  
post #11787 of 12027 Old 06-09-2019, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,027
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
Or buy a light meter that costs less than the lamp and verify the old one is too dim. This is the one I have that seems to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
LX1330B was inaccurate in my testing, the LX1010b (cheaper) was more accurate.

Extech 401025 or higher appears to be the way to go for under $50, you can find them used and accuracy is + - 5% to the Minolta T10 or Sekonic meters, generally within 3%. Though I have only tested 2 Extechs.

LX1010B as the super cheap alternative, as its more accurate than the other LX, but it has to be the 1010B version with the larger sensor (there are two versions of the same meter floating around).

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-09-2019 at 04:09 AM.
coderguy is offline  
post #11788 of 12027 Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
You could “transfer” the calibrations (custom gamma, custom colour temperature etc), but they would not be valid for the new projector.

how can I go about doing this?
Naylorman32 is online now  
post #11789 of 12027 Old 06-09-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,462
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
how can I go about doing this?
Using the JVC calibration software, you can save/load or backup/restore certain settings.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #11790 of 12027 Old 06-10-2019, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
danielrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I just purchased a DLA-X790R. I'm designing a theater room for my dad and we were auditioning projectors at the local dealer, and he loved the X790R. They said they were discontinued, but he asked if he could have the demo model and they gave him an okay enough deal on it he bought it.

I picked it up for him. I demo'd it again for 20 minutes against an NX7 (RS2000) and preferred the picture of the X790R over the NX7 - from more than 5 feet away that is :-)

Now I'd been wanting a JVC projector for a long time and always regretted getting my Sony HW55ES instead of the JVC - but back then it would've been a few models back and only the X5 series at the time that I could have afforded. When I heard they dropped the X790 to $4000 MSRP and were selling the last of them I wondered if I'd missed the boat. I'm not ready for full 4K (would need a receiver, player, streamer upgrade to really go 4K) and wanted instead just the contrast and refinement of this particular JVC series, not worrying about the new true 4K series (not yet anyway). But a few casual inquiries and I couldn't find one and figured I'd missed out.

However, after watching Mission Impossible Fallout on BluRay on the demo unit my dad purchased with him, I decided I had to find one of these units, I loved the deep blacks and brightness. But everywhere I looked I couldn't get an RS540 or X790R. I finally got on the JVC website and looked for dealers all over the western US and started emailing them all trying to find an RS540 or X790. Finally I found a dealer who had heard just that day that JVC was going to do a final run of the RS540, and he could get me in on one of them. But I'd have to wait some number of weeks and pay the whole thing up front. I made sure he was legit and he checked out, I was about to pull the trigger - when my local dealer called that very day and said his distributor had just found an X790R in their warehouse and he'd claimed it for me right there as he knew I really wanted one - and without a deposit ordered it in for me. He even gave me a great deal on the unit. It was awesome.

Three days later (on my birthday no less) it showed up and I picked the unit up & paid. I've been playing with it the last few days and it looks great. What I think is little chromatic aberration (some ghosting around the focus lines) is visible at high zoom but not really noticeable with content... It's in the back of the room projecting off a box on a table right now - waiting to get a mount plate for my Chief RPA Elite mount, as my Chief universal kit that I used for the Sony doesn't fit this beast.

I'm hoping once I mount it (it'll be 5 feet closer to my screen once mounted) it will cut down on the aberration some.

Convergence needed very little tweaking and I cannot believe how many options there are for color, gamma, etc. etc. etc. I haven't ever seen anything so tweakable, I have no idea where to start.

For example, I was watching Sound of Music with my wife last night and the grain seemed extra grainy. After going through menus I played with the smooth function, and it helped some, but then I also noticed that enhance was set to 5. Setting it to 0 made the grain much more realistic. (Enhance seems to be an edge enhancement/sharpening function). Anyway, at first I had been smoothing the sharpening, then realized I could just turn down the sharpening. So many options, you can get the projector to fight itself!

I'm surprised that people complain of black crush on this projector... yes the blacks can seem crushed, but on close inspection the detail is there, it's just the bright parts are so bright that the dark parts seem darker and "crushed". But with so much tweakability, you can play with gamma forever, or pick the built in gamma that favors gradiation (Gamma 'A'), or lighten up the shadows with yet another setting in the gamma menu. So it's easy to tweak the blacks and highlights to your liking as far as I can tell.

And the iris possibilities - great to be able to have dynamic iris and also be able to retain the manual setting as an envelope for dynamic to operate within, anyway it is pretty cool all the options.

After 100 hours, I'll definitely be getting this calibrated (never bothered with my HW55ES)...

Any advice for a new owner of one of these JVC units?

I just feel lucky I was able to get one at this point...

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
danielrg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off