Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 401 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31874Likes

post #12001 of 13253 Old 07-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaeel View Post
Honestly I haven't gotten around to that yet. I bought a 6ft fiber HDMI for my HTPC and that didn't help but since the pj run is 15ft(not too bad but still)I'm just hoping once I hook up the other fiber HDMI cable to the pj it'll solve it cuz if not I'm thinking it's the JVC. I read the other day the older JVC's did this too from time to time and it was due to the frame-rates. With work I haven't had time to troubleshoot too much or even felt like it. I know a lot of people don't game at 4k/60 so I'm hoping it's just a data transfer limit. Just odd the PS4 is doing it too since it doesn't run at those settings anyway.
When I went to JVC 4K from a Epson 1080p projector I upgraded all my HDMI to Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI cables for my interconnects. I use a HTPC with Nvidia GPU. Haven't had any problems, but I know 4K is real touchy. I'd even upgrade my game units HDMI cables to certified cables, if it were me. I don't game so only take that as a suggestion. Good Luck.

You could also try using the other HDMI input on the JVC to see if that changes anything.

Last edited by catav; 07-18-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12002 of 13253 Old 07-18-2019, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by catav View Post
When I went to JVC 4K from a Epson 1080p projector I upgraded all my HDMI to Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI cables for my interconnects. I use a HTPC with Nvidia GPU. Haven't had any problems, but I know 4K is real touchy. I'd even upgrade my game units HDMI cables to certified cables, if it were me. I don't game so only take that as a suggestion. Good Luck.

You could also try using the other HDMI input on the JVC to see if that changes anything.
Yah I'm going to. I know there's cables that just don't measure up. I'm just confused why the Scorpio never has an issue and the PS4 does?? The HTPC I get because I run 4K/60 at Ultra settings so I can see where I'd get bandwidth issues. Anyway I figure as long as this works I'll use the fiber cables on everything. I'm gonna try it this weekend and report back.
catav likes this.
post #12003 of 13253 Old 07-19-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 13048 Post(s)
Liked: 10692
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Honestly I haven't gotten around to that yet. I bought a 6ft fiber HDMI for my HTPC and that didn't help but since the pj run is 15ft(not too bad but still)I'm just hoping once I hook up the other fiber HDMI cable to the pj it'll solve it cuz if not I'm thinking it's the JVC. I read the other day the older JVC's did this too from time to time and it was due to the frame-rates. With work I haven't had time to troubleshoot too much or even felt like it. I know a lot of people don't game at 4k/60 so I'm hoping it's just a data transfer limit. Just odd the PS4 is doing it too since it doesn't run at those settings anyway.
Since the RS400, 500 and 600 the JVC's have been full 18Gbps HDMI. Baring a defective projector and I don't think yours is defective, if it is dropping out, then you need to look at the other items in the chain, not the projector. Take a certified HDMI cable and connect a source like a Roku and send 4K 60P direct to the projector. If it works without issue, then you have just proven it is not the projector. If you use an HTPC and have issues, it could be a setting problem with the PC. That is why I would test with a source device like a UHD BD player and Roku or Apple TV.
johng likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12004 of 13253 Old 07-19-2019, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Since the RS400, 500 and 600 the JVC's have been full 18Gbps HDMI. Baring a defective projector and I don't think yours is defective, if it is dropping out, then you need to look at the other items in the chain, not the projector. Take a certified HDMI cable and connect a source like a Roku and send 4K 60P direct to the projector. If it works without issue, then you have just proven it is not the projector. If you use an HTPC and have issues, it could be a setting problem with the PC. That is why I would test with a source device like a UHD BD player and Roku or Apple TV.
Yah I know they are and that's one of the reasons I went with the JVC. It's also why the cables are my main suspect. Don't have a UHD player, Roku, or Apple TV. That's what the HTPC and Scorpio are for. Like I said I have no issues with the Scorpio which is why I think it's the cables and not the pj, because only when I'm pushing 4K games at ultra settings on the PC does it trip it up, and the PS4 cable is a cheaper blue one so I'm pretty sure that's it. I'll find out for sure tonight or tomorrow.
post #12005 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just purchased a brand new X790R and have a couple of questions in hopes someone can guide me to where I can get some of my answers:

1. I'm looking for some settings to try with 4K content...not sure where to find some of these settings.
2. Need to find 3D glasses and am unsure what I need as it's been too long and am out of touch since my last purchase of 3D glasses (2012)

I run all my movies via HTPC (MPC-HC and MADVR) Videocard is a Nvidia 1070Ti

I'm already enjoying some viewing already and am quite pleased with what I see.

Much thanks in advance
Kind regards,
post #12006 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 5414 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freniata View Post
1. I'm looking for some settings to try with 4K content...not sure where to find some of these settings.
2. Need to find 3D glasses and am unsure what I need as it's been too long and am out of touch since my last purchase of 3D glasses (2012)
The first post of this thread has some recommended settings.
My signature also contains some links for optimizing the HDR settings.
post #12007 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The first post of this thread has some recommended settings.
My signature also contains some links for optimizing the HDR settings.
Thank you kindly for your feedback.
On the first page, 1st post all I see is settings for the X990. Did I miss something?

thanks
post #12008 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 5414 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Quote:
Thank you kindly for your feedback.
On the first page, 1st post all I see is settings for the X990. Did I miss something?

thanks
Identical settings apply to the X970 and X990. The X770 and X790 also use the similar settings.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 07-22-2019 at 01:18 PM.
post #12009 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Just purchased a brand new X790R and have a couple of questions in hopes someone can guide me to where I can get some of my answers:

I wonder if the Philips PTA02 Glasses are compatible. I saw one poster recommend them, and they are pretty cheap. However, you have to make sure screen polarity is not an issue for you (you could lose up to 50% of your lumens) and these are IR, which are not as good as RF glasses.
post #12010 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have the strangest issue that I seemed to workaround, but just thought I'd share in case anyone else has run into the same thing.

I have my RS540 getting its sources fed through my Denon 3500H.

All my sources (Shield, Cable, UHD Bluray, PS4 Pro) work fine, but ran into an issue with my Xbox One X where it wouldn't output when I set the console to 4K UHD resolution. In the temporary screen where it asks you if you'd like to keep the changes after toggling the resolution, I would get some static on the screen and it would eventually crap out and say my TV is having issues with 4K.

I switched to 1080p which got rid of the issue. Allow 4k is also checked off; if I start a 4K-capable game, the RS540 toggles the resolution appropriately, and I'm able to get signal and have the game outputted at 4K+HDR.

In summary - my Xbox One X dashboard only displays if I set the resolution to 1080p, but when 4K games are loaded the RS540 changes the resolution and the game works fine.
post #12011 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Lamp on high and iris open for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, what setting would denote iris being 'open'? 0?
post #12012 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Could be all of the above. Process of elimination:
-Did you get some certified HDMI cables with the badge below?
-Try a different devise, like a laptop with HDMI. Different blu ray player from another room?

If it still persists could be a defective JVC, which can happen from time to time.
I can't believe I'm saying this about HDMI cables, but we bought a $350 Audioquest Cinnamon 33" cable and it actually fixed the problem. The previous HDMI are all "certified" HDMI cables from Blue Jeans Cable (the 35" one) and also the optical fiber one from Ruipro (33"), which technically should not have any problems. But I think the longer the cable runs the more important the quality of cables are, to get a stable image.

Quote:
I bought a fiber HDMI cable and have yet to run it since most of the time it only does it when I run games at 4K/60 on my HTPC and I haven't played for a couple weeks. Soon as I switch back to 1080p/60 it runs fine. That makes me think it's the cable since as soon as the data being transferred is less, it goes away. Odd thing is my PS4 Pro did it the other day as soon as I turned it on yet my Xbox Scorpio doesn't?? The screen went black instantly. Idk it's a pita for sure though. Should be able to double check though I realize that doesn't help you now. Also my artifacts are a bunch of little blocks and it's always on the right side for some reason. Almost like it's trying to render the image.
I have problems on my Xbox one X as well, and it's the same problem. I don't know about the PS4 pro since that's connected to my LG OLED. Perhaps the Xbox One X is more sensitive to lower bandwidth issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinse82 View Post
Have the strangest issue that I seemed to workaround, but just thought I'd share in case anyone else has run into the same thing.

All my sources (Shield, Cable, UHD Bluray, PS4 Pro) work fine, but ran into an issue with my Xbox One X where it wouldn't output when I set the console to 4K UHD resolution. In the temporary screen where it asks you if you'd like to keep the changes after toggling the resolution, I would get some static on the screen and it would eventually crap out and say my TV is having issues with 4K.

I switched to 1080p which got rid of the issue. Allow 4k is also checked off; if I start a 4K-capable game, the RS540 toggles the resolution appropriately, and I'm able to get signal and have the game outputted at 4K+HDR.

In summary - my Xbox One X dashboard only displays if I set the resolution to 1080p, but when 4K games are loaded the RS540 changes the resolution and the game works fine.
I'm using pretty much exactly the same setup, Xbox One X --> Denon 3400H --> RS540, and have practically the same issue. It usually happens in the dashboard screen as well, and it goes away if I change the resolution to 1080p. If you're running a 30+ inch HDMI cable, I would seriously consider "upgrading" to a better cable, as that fixed my problem (alternatively you can go for a shorter distance). We got the Audioquest Cinnamon cable from Best Buy, which absurdly expensive at $350, but nontheless fixed an issue even the RUIPRO optical HDMI cable didn't fix. In the end, I figured out it wasn't my projector being defective, it was a HDMI cable problem.

HT: LG OLED65B7A, Denon AVR-X7200WA, B&W CM10 S2, CMC2 S2, CM5 S2, HTR-7000 x4 (atmos), SVS SB13 Ultra x2
Desktop: KEF LS50 Wireless, KEF PSW4000 (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fridge...s/#view=r2V6Mp)
Portable: Chord Mojo, Shure KSE-1500
post #12013 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this about HDMI cables, but we bought a $350 Audioquest Cinnamon 33" cable and it actually fixed the problem. The previous HDMI are all "certified" HDMI cables from Blue Jeans Cable (the 35" one) and also the optical fiber one from Ruipro (33"), which technically should not have any problems. But I think the longer the cable runs the more important the quality of cables are, to get a stable image.
Any chance you have inches confused with feet in this post? The cable run to my projector uses a 30 FOOT cable. A 33" cable is less than 3 feet, which is a pretty small run in my opinion.

This is the cable I use with no issues:

Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR High Speed Cable for HDMI-Enabled Devices - 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, Fiber Optic, AOC, YUV 4:4:4, 30ft, Black 1 $159.99 $159.99

It is an active cable, which means you need to pay VERY careful attention when doing the cable run as the signal flows in ONE direction only and you have to get it right.
petexian likes this.

My recently upgraded 20 year old basement theater: 7.1.4 ch setup with JVC x790r projector; 20 year old 100" Stewart 16x9 screen, Panasonic 820 UHD player; Marantz AV7704 pre-pro; Marantz MM8077 7 ch Amp; PSA v1811 subwoofer; RSL C34E In Ceiling ATMOS Speakers; Atlantic Technology 20 year old speakers for Surrounds and LCR Mains
post #12014 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have problems on my Xbox one X as well, and it's the same problem. I don't know about the PS4 pro since that's connected to my LG OLED. Perhaps the Xbox One X is more sensitive to lower bandwidth issues?

I'm using pretty much exactly the same setup, Xbox One X --> Denon 3400H --> RS540, and have practically the same issue. It usually happens in the dashboard screen as well, and it goes away if I change the resolution to 1080p. If you're running a 30+ inch HDMI cable, I would seriously consider "upgrading" to a better cable, as that fixed my problem (alternatively you can go for a shorter distance). We got the Audioquest Cinnamon cable from Best Buy, which absurdly expensive at $350, but nontheless fixed an issue even the RUIPRO optical HDMI cable didn't fix. In the end, I figured out it wasn't my projector being defective, it was a HDMI cable problem.
Yah I was gonna post that I swapped out the cables for a $40 fiber cable from Amazon(it was on a lightning deal coincidentally) and even though the other one was rated for 18gps this one seems to work. I played for around 3hrs or so and had no issues. Usually it'd happen within minutes or no more than an hour into playing so as of now the fiber cable worked. Interestingly the cable from the HTPC to the receiver is not fiber just another hi-speed rated cable. I did bypass my HDMI wall plate though. I had a 15ft cable going to the wall plate, which was also hi-speed rated, and then another 6ft cable from the wall plate to the JVC. This is a 30ft fiber cable that I went straight to the JVC with just to see if it would work with a "direct" connection and of course eliminate the other variables and so far so good. I'm happy for now. Interesting your fiber cable didn't work though. Like you said technically it *shoould*. Mine is a 30ft and your run is over that correct? I guess on those long runs it does make a difference. Electronics nowadays drive me crazy smh.

I have another fiber cable I can try with the PS4 and another hi-speed cable on the way from the same company I'm using for my HTPC-to-receiver connection. I'll try them both out but I'm pretty sure it was the receiver-to-JVC connection..
post #12015 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Thanks, what setting would denote iris being 'open'? 0?

If I recall correctly, yes. With this Iris setting, and Profile off, with the filter in the path, I measured 100 Nits on my 110” 1.78:1 Stewart StudioTek 130 (1.3 gain) screen.

I posted a settings document spreadsheet that you can find by searching for my posts, if interested.

Mark

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #12016 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoFatherof3 View Post
Quote:
Any chance you have inches confused with feet in this post? The cable run to my projector uses a 30 FOOT cable. A 33" cable is less than 3 feet, which is a pretty small run in my opinion.

This is the cable I use with no issues:

Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR High Speed Cable for HDMI-Enabled Devices - 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, Fiber Optic, AOC, YUV 4:4:4, 30ft, Black 1 $159.99 $159.99

It is an active cable, which means you need to pay VERY careful attention when doing the cable run as the signal flows in ONE direction only and you have to get it right.
Wait, fiber optic HDMI cables are not bidirectional? You mean you can only plug into it one way, from a source to an output?

And yes, I meant feet not inches.

Quote:
Quote:

Yah I was gonna post that I swapped out the cables for a $40 fiber cable from Amazon(it was on a lightning deal coincidentally) and even though the other one was rated for 18gps this one seems to work. I played for around 3hrs or so and had no issues. Usually it'd happen within minutes or no more than an hour into playing so as of now the fiber cable worked. Interestingly the cable from the HTPC to the receiver is not fiber just another hi-speed rated cable. I did bypass my HDMI wall plate though. I had a 15ft cable going to the wall plate, which was also hi-speed rated, and then another 6ft cable from the wall plate to the JVC. This is a 30ft fiber cable that I went straight to the JVC with just to see if it would work with a "direct" connection and of course eliminate the other variables and so far so good. I'm happy for now. Interesting your fiber cable didn't work though. Like you said technically it *shoould*. Mine is a 30ft and your run is over that correct? I guess on those long runs it does make a difference. Electronics nowadays drive me crazy smh.

I have another fiber cable I can try with the PS4 and another hi-speed cable on the way from the same company I'm using for my HTPC-to-receiver connection. I'll try them both out but I'm pretty sure it was the receiver-to-JVC connection..
I swapped it with a 20 feet version of the same cable, and it worked fine. I’m wondering why doesn’t the 35 feet version work. I read somewhere there’s a 5v plug you can use with the HDMI to the receiver that might help, as it used more power to travel longer distances?

HT: LG OLED65B7A, Denon AVR-X7200WA, B&W CM10 S2, CMC2 S2, CM5 S2, HTR-7000 x4 (atmos), SVS SB13 Ultra x2
Desktop: KEF LS50 Wireless, KEF PSW4000 (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fridge...s/#view=r2V6Mp)
Portable: Chord Mojo, Shure KSE-1500
post #12017 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Could be all of the above. Process of elimination:
-Did you get some certified HDMI cables with the badge below?
-Try a different devise, like a laptop with HDMI. Different blu ray player from another room?

If it still persists could be a defective JVC, which can happen from time to time.

Quote:
I bought a fiber HDMI cable and have yet to run it since most of the time it only does it when I run games at 4K/60 on my HTPC and I haven't played for a couple weeks. Soon as I switch back to 1080p/60 it runs fine. That makes me think it's the cable since as soon as the data being transferred is less, it goes away. Odd thing is my PS4 Pro did it the other day as soon as I turned it on yet my Xbox Scorpio doesn't?? The screen went black instantly. Idk it's a pita for sure though. Should be able to double check though I realize that doesn't help you now. Also my artifacts are a bunch of little blocks and it's always on the right side for some reason. Almost like it's trying to render the image.

Quote:

Thanks - since I’m able to still play the actual games in 4K, I can live with the dashboard at 1080p.

It’s the strangest thing; sometimes I’m able to toggle to 4K in the dashboard, but when I go to load a game, I just get a black screen/no signal after the initial game splash screen. I hear audio, just no video.

1080p dashboard, all 4K games work.
post #12018 of 13253 Old 07-22-2019, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks - since I’m able to still play the actual games in 4K, I can live with the dashboard at 1080p.

It’s the strangest thing; sometimes I’m able to toggle to 4K in the dashboard, but when I go to load a game, I just get a black screen/no signal after the initial game splash screen. I hear audio, just no video.

1080p dashboard, all 4K games work.
See mine did the exact same thing. Screen would go black and I'd have no video but it wasn't right away like yours. I'd play for at least a couple minutes before it would do it and some nights it'd be hours which is why even after 3hrs I'm not convinced......mostly cuz I have s*** luck.

I thought maybe if I kept my desktop at 4K resolution it would help thinking maybe it was a handshake issue but that didn't help either. Only switching back to 1080p made it work so that's why I was pretty sure the cable couldn't handle the data. Though I have no idea why @Solarium had issues with his 35ft cable? Though I also didn't realize fiber optic HDMI's were directional so maybe he just hooked it up in the wrong direction and I must've lucked out hooking mine up.
post #12019 of 13253 Old 07-23-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Wait, fiber optic HDMI cables are not bidirectional? You mean you can only plug into it one way, from a source to an output?

And yes, I meant feet not inches.
That is correct. Active fiber cables are UNI-DIRECTIONAL. You have to look at what is printed on the ends of each connector. One end should be labled source and one end should be labeled destination (or some similiar labeling) so you know which end plugs in where.

If you reverse the cable, I'm not sure it will work at all, but it certainly won't work well.

I've posted about this little detail in other places and it is a farily common mistake that people can make with these cables if you have not used them before.

My recently upgraded 20 year old basement theater: 7.1.4 ch setup with JVC x790r projector; 20 year old 100" Stewart 16x9 screen, Panasonic 820 UHD player; Marantz AV7704 pre-pro; Marantz MM8077 7 ch Amp; PSA v1811 subwoofer; RSL C34E In Ceiling ATMOS Speakers; Atlantic Technology 20 year old speakers for Surrounds and LCR Mains
post #12020 of 13253 Old 07-24-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
See mine did the exact same thing. Screen would go black and I'd have no video but it wasn't right away like yours. I'd play for at least a couple minutes before it would do it and some nights it'd be hours which is why even after 3hrs I'm not convinced......mostly cuz I have s*** luck.

I thought maybe if I kept my desktop at 4K resolution it would help thinking maybe it was a handshake issue but that didn't help either. Only switching back to 1080p made it work so that's why I was pretty sure the cable couldn't handle the data. Though I have no idea why @Solarium had issues with his 35ft cable? Though I also didn't realize fiber optic HDMI's were directional so maybe he just hooked it up in the wrong direction and I must've lucked out hooking mine up.
I use a 23 gauge copper cable, 20 feet in length, from the monoprice certified premium line. I also get blank screens from time to time and it can be a bear getting the picture back. It's as though it will not handshake again, even when turning off sources and swapping inputs and back. I don't want to buy another cable yet as I have not finalized positioning for equipment. Is there a trick to getting the projector to resynch, short of turning it off and back on?
post #12021 of 13253 Old 07-24-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I use a 23 gauge copper cable, 20 feet in length, from the monoprice certified premium line. I also get blank screens from time to time and it can be a bear getting the picture back. It's as though it will not handshake again, even when turning off sources and swapping inputs and back. I don't want to buy another cable yet as I have not finalized positioning for equipment. Is there a trick to getting the projector to resynch, short of turning it off and back on?

Switching inputs and then back should cause a re-sync.

post #12022 of 13253 Old 07-24-2019, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not that I know of other than switching inputs like @giomania suggested. Sometimes my picture would stay black for a couple seconds and sometimes it'd be closer to 10 seconds but it would always come back. It was random but only with the signal being 4k/60. As soon as I go back to 1080p it's fine. That was the only thing that worked for me. Are your issues with 4K too?

This cable seemed to solve my issue though. Again I only used it for 3hrs the other night but it definitely would've done it in that time so I'm pretty hopeful that was it. This is the cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a copper cable going to an HDMI wall plate, and than another cable from the plate to the projector. All were "high-speed" rated. I ran that fiber cable straight from the receiver to the projector and so far so good. Idk if that'll solve your issue but it worked for me and others as well. Also I did double check and by dumb luck I did have the direction correct on my fiber cable.
giomania likes this.
post #12023 of 13253 Old 07-24-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Perhaps my issue is with the Oppo 203, but I have tried powercycling that, too, with no luck. If I can manage to blindly get the Oppo to start playing material from the disc player that is a different native format, it will cause the projector to synch to a new signal type, which wakes things back up, then I can go back to what I was doing.
post #12024 of 13253 Old 07-25-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Perhaps my issue is with the Oppo 203, but I have tried powercycling that, too, with no luck. If I can manage to blindly get the Oppo to start playing material from the disc player that is a different native format, it will cause the projector to synch to a new signal type, which wakes things back up, then I can go back to what I was doing.

Check the output signal setting on the OPPO. Also try starting up the OPPO without a disc in the player, which causes it to go to the menu screen vice the disc menu.

post #12025 of 13253 Old 07-26-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7044 Post(s)
Liked: 7077
Quote:

So you are saying it was not the cables then? Did you end up taking that expensive cable back and getting a different one?
post #12026 of 13253 Old 07-26-2019, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
There were no firmware updates for the X990/RS640. You will probably need to send the projector in for repair.
Exchange unit was received today and the failed unit is already in route back to them. I am not the original owner of the projector so it was a tiny hassle. JVC was able to trace that it was bought from an authorized dealer. I had to get the original sales receipt. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned, no original receipt, no sale. Pretty good advice.

Very please with JVC. They could of walked away from this as I was not the original owner.

Thanks again Mike for the responses.
Mike Garrett and woodhead2 like this.
post #12027 of 13253 Old 07-27-2019, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quick question. I seem to remember reading something about NOT shutting this projector down in HDR mode for some reason. Can someone remind me why?

I was just finishing Alita Battle Angel(at the credits) and we had a power outage for like one second. Everything rebooted fine and I don't seem to be having any problems but I remember reading something and can't remember what was said.

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
post #12028 of 13253 Old 07-28-2019, 04:32 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3001 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Quick question. I seem to remember reading something about NOT shutting this projector down in HDR mode for some reason. Can someone remind me why?

I was just finishing Alita Battle Angel(at the credits) and we had a power outage for like one second. Everything rebooted fine and I don't seem to be having any problems but I remember reading something and can't remember what was said.
That would probably be me.

At least on my unit, if you have very different settings for HDR and SDR iris (aperture) - ie iris more open for HDR - when you boot up having shut down previously in HDR, with an SDR source playing, it won't reset the lamp iris back to the proper SDR position. So when you next go into HDR mode it tries to drive the iris back to more open than the mechanism allows, and grinds. It appears to me to be a bug in the way auto HDR mode is implemented.

I've not have much luck getting anyone else to try it out as it makes a horrid gear grinding noise when you do it, and there were a spate of iris mech failures on these units, so I don't think folk are keen to torture their units...!

If you have to be safe next time you power it on you'd want to ensure an HDR source is playing before you power on. That way all the states should be aligned and when you stop playback and drop back to SDR mode everything should be back to normal.
post #12029 of 13253 Old 07-28-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question direct mask command?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdoUK View Post
Have any Harmony Hub users found a way to map a custom mask selection to a device or activity command? I see there are shortcut commands for various lens shift settings but don't see one for custom mask selection.
Hi all,
I have not found any responses to this question and I have the exact question. Would like to be able to send a "custom mask" command directly to the projector.... Has anyone found a way to do that?
Thanks in advance,
Joe H
post #12030 of 13253 Old 07-28-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
That would probably be me.

At least on my unit, if you have very different settings for HDR and SDR iris (aperture) - ie iris more open for HDR - when you boot up having shut down previously in HDR, with an SDR source playing, it won't reset the lamp iris back to the proper SDR position. So when you next go into HDR mode it tries to drive the iris back to more open than the mechanism allows, and grinds. It appears to me to be a bug in the way auto HDR mode is implemented.

I've not have much luck getting anyone else to try it out as it makes a horrid gear grinding noise when you do it, and there were a spate of iris mech failures on these units, so I don't think folk are keen to torture their units...!

If you have to be safe next time you power it on you'd want to ensure an HDR source is playing before you power on. That way all the states should be aligned and when you stop playback and drop back to SDR mode everything should be back to normal.
Thanks, Yup that was what I remember reading. It didn't effect me, that I can tell. I had my projector calibrated by Chadb and it powered back on to a SDR signal from the AppleTV home screen when it came back on. It seems to be working just the way it was before.

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page