Official JVC - 20LTD - RS640 (x990/x9900) - RS540 (X790/x7900) - Owners Thread - Page 410 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31673Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12271 of 12734 Old 09-27-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,710
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by catav View Post
.... By the way, I demo’d an NX7 at my local JVC dealer (Mad Max: Fury Road / Apple 4K streaming). NX7 just out of the box. July build. Settings were factory. Went home immediately and watched same scenes on above setup and actually saw more detail and better contrast and pop on RS540? Don’t fully understand that one. Maybe MadVR makes that much difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post
I had the same impression with the Sony 695ES -- different content than you, but the 540 put a well detailed image on the wall with much better contrast and pop. My thought is that the current crop of 4K native projector give up some refinement as far as contrast to achieve the larger number of pixels. After JVC cut the 540 price the purchase became a no brainer, and the images are dramatic. I was playing with some settings and came into the middle of The Martian -- I gasped. The depth, the contrast, the sense of space and realism. Just amazing.

As far as better detail on the 540, I see it, too. Contrast enhances our ability to perceive detail. A 4K image with zero contrast will reveal much less than a 1080p with good contrast contrast. That is what we are seeing.
I remain extremely pleased with my x990 (rs640) and feel no need to upgrade to the alternatives currently available. I have a spare lamp sitting on the shelf, ready to drop in if/when needed.

I have been a zealous advocate and have suffered pushback, and although there are worthy criticisms regarding the previous JVC model 540/790/7900 and 640/990/9900, I would not to hesitate to recommend these models being on anyone's short list.
giomania, Jive Turkey, JJ7 and 2 others like this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12272 of 12734 Old 09-27-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
talon95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I've finally gotten around to trying MadVR with my RS540. It does make a substantial difference both in HDR quality and detail. Should have gotten on this sooner as I've had a gaming rig in the theater room all along with a 1080ti. I think I was resisting because I got frustrated with using a HTPC years ago and moved away from it.
catav likes this.
talon95 is offline  
post #12273 of 12734 Old 09-27-2019, 06:32 PM
Member
 
Tireman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Apple TV and Anamo

Anamo doesn’t work with Apple TV on JVC540? Any suggestions
Tireman1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12274 of 12734 Old 09-27-2019, 06:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Iowa
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
I remain extremely pleased with my x990 (rs640) and feel no need to upgrade to the alternatives currently available. I have a spare lamp sitting on the shelf, ready to drop in if/when needed.

I have been a zealous advocate and have suffered pushback, and although there are worthy criticisms regarding the previous JVC model 540/790/7900 and 640/990/9900, I would not to hesitate to recommend these models being on anyone's short list.
Yeah, I think it has to be their massive contrast that keeps these projectors relevant. They are in the sweet spot, technically. Not that I’m not ready for the next push in development. I want to hold out for JVC/4K laser for the masses, with our contrast levels. Now that would be a reason to upgrade!
catav is offline  
post #12275 of 12734 Old 09-27-2019, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,710
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by catav View Post
Yeah, I think it has to be their massive contrast that keeps these projectors relevant. They are in the sweet spot, technically. Not that I’m not ready for the next push in development. I want to hold out for JVC/4K laser for the masses, with our contrast levels. Now that would be a reason to upgrade!
Also, while JVC has been just as inept as others rolling out HDR controls and management, they have a very good handle on SDR and rec709. So when you marry our JVCs to a ub820, ub9000 and more so Mad VR or a Lumagen, you have something that comes together extremely well.

I'm hoping HDR BT2020 management is on the edge of a big leap by JVC, SONY and others, such that we arrive at a familiar point in the technology, that we had with SDR rec709, where our display controls could make the best of almost any source.

We all have to hope the announced DTM upgrade coming from JVC, delivers in such a away as to bring the tech closer to our previous comfort zone, and future products can then continue to build on a solid HDR BT2020 foundation.

I'm hoping all of our friends here with the newer JVC models, find their expectations fulfilled.
catav likes this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #12276 of 12734 Old 09-27-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,923
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5418 Post(s)
Liked: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
I've finally gotten around to trying MadVR with my RS540. It does make a substantial difference both in HDR quality and detail. Should have gotten on this sooner as I've had a gaming rig in the theater room all along with a 1080ti. I think I was resisting because I got frustrated with using a HTPC years ago and moved away from it.
it's definitely impressive..! next level DTM vs the static curves & UB820

Spoiler!
Bytehoven and catav like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #12277 of 12734 Old 09-27-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,713
Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12685 Post(s)
Liked: 10316
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post
I had the same impression with the Sony 695ES -- different content than you, but the 540 put a well detailed image on the wall with much better contrast and pop. My thought is that the current crop of 4K native projector give up some refinement as far as contrast to achieve the larger number of pixels. After JVC cut the 540 price the purchase became a no brainer, and the images are dramatic. I was playing with some settings and came into the middle of The Martian -- I gasped. The depth, the contrast, the sense of space and realism. Just amazing.

As far as better detail on the 540, I see it, too. Contrast enhances our ability to perceive detail. A 4K image with zero contrast will reveal much less than a 1080p with good contrast contrast. That is what we are seeing.

I am interested to see how the next transition goes. As 4K emerges I'm sure they with catch up with the 540 class on all elements of PQ. 8K will have a heck of a time adding to the experience. I have 168" diagonal screen 2.40:1 with prime viewing at 14-16 feet.
And yet every single person, that I have read about or talked to, that has compared side by side in the same room, has picked the RS2000/NX7 over the E-shift JVC's. This is not a negative of the E-shift projectors. They throw a really nice image. I still have my RS640.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 09-27-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #12278 of 12734 Old 09-27-2019, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,710
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
And yet every single person, that I have read about or talked to, that has compared side by side in the same room, has picked the RS2000/NX7 over the E-shift JVC's. This is not a negative of the E-shift projectors. They throw a really nice image. I still have my RS640.
I'm curious, if holding onto the rs640 is partially due to the extra $$$ to upgrade, and that extra $$$ not quite being worth any advantages the newer model(s) may offer?

I'll say that prominently figures into my holding onto my x990 and maybe I may be more tight fisted with my stack than others.

The few areas in which a few newer models are superior, are not compelling enough to offset the cost to upgrade. And I've endeavored to immunize myself from the pressure that the grass is necessarily greener.

We could afford many of alternatives available, but as you said the rs640 image is really nice. Nice enough from where I sit.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton

Last edited by Bytehoven; 09-27-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #12279 of 12734 Old 09-27-2019, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Iowa
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
And yet every single person, that I have read about or talked to, that has compared side by side in the same room, has picked the RS2000/NX7 over the E-shift JVC's. This is not a negative of the E-shift projectors. They throw a really nice image. I still have my RS640.
Thanks, Mike.. That's a real nice compliment coming from a very helpful salesman.. I applaud you. Your job is not easy, but you make it look so.
catav is offline  
post #12280 of 12734 Old 09-27-2019, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,762
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6781 Post(s)
Liked: 6781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
I remain extremely pleased with my x990 (rs640) and feel no need to upgrade to the alternatives currently available.
I don't need to, but it is nice to update.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post
I had the same impression with the Sony 695ES -- different content than you, but the 540 put a well detailed image on the wall with much better contrast and pop. My thought is that the current crop of 4K native projector give up some refinement as far as contrast to achieve the larger number of pixels. After JVC cut the 540 price the purchase became a no brainer, and the images are dramatic. I was playing with some settings and came into the middle of The Martian -- I gasped. The depth, the contrast, the sense of space and realism. Just amazing.

As far as better detail on the 540, I see it, too. Contrast enhances our ability to perceive detail. A 4K image with zero contrast will reveal much less than a 1080p with good contrast contrast. That is what we are seeing.

I am interested to see how the next transition goes. As 4K emerges I'm sure they with catch up with the 540 class on all elements of PQ. 8K will have a heck of a time adding to the experience. I have 168" diagonal screen 2.40:1 with prime viewing at 14-16 feet.
The bottom line, everyone has an opinion. Sounds like you are happy where you are at and there is zero wrong with that. Does not matter what you budy thinks, your boss, or you calibrator
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #12281 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 03:07 AM
Member
 
Mike Johnson 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
I'm curious, if holding onto the rs640 is partially due to the extra $$$ to upgrade, and that extra $$$ not quite being worth any advantages the newer model(s) may offer?

I'll say that prominently figures into my holding onto my x990 and maybe I may be more tight fisted with my stack than others.

The few areas in which a few newer models are superior, are not compelling enough to offset the cost to upgrade. And I've endeavored to immunize myself from the pressure that the grass is necessarily greener.

We could afford many of alternatives available, but as you said the rs640 image is really nice. Nice enough from where I sit.
A month ago I would have said I'd keep my rs540 till the day I die!

The chain reaction started when I decided it was time for an anamorphic lens. Once I learned that the eShift pj's couldn't use the DCR lens I knew I didn't want to have to buy a lens twice, so could just swallow the pill now all in one shot and be done with it.
And then the JVC DTM firmware update announcement happened.... The HDR implementation is biggest bone I had to pick with the rs540. Always needing to fiddle with settings/adjustments meant my wife couldn't just turn on the projector and "point and click" like on a TV, since tone-mapping was a constant issue. "Honey, just change it to SDR2020 if you're using the ub820, but use HDR mode and correct gamma settings when using the Shield or Roku for streaming."

In other words, I either spend $5k+ on an image processor + $5k+ on a Paladin lens, only to completely lose that investment when inevitably upgrading to the NX7 or newer in the future.

So.... Over $10k to upgrade my image WITH keeping the rs540, or over $10k for the NX7 + Paladin DCR (I bought b-stock lens) and have TV level ease of use + much improved picture quality.

So far every time I fire up the NX7 I have NO regrets. Even my stingy wife can justify my $$$$$ upgrades.
Reddig likes this.

JVC NX7, Paladin DCR, 125" 2.40:1 Seymour Center Stage XD
(previous: JVC 540/790, Epson 5040UBe,+more)
Sony 75XZ9D, 75X900E, 65X850C, 800E, Panny 4K, Plasma, & more...
(Previous: 65" 930E, 940D, LG 65" C7, 65" 900E, Samsungs, etc...)
speakers: Dynaudio M1's, M3A's, BM15A's, NS10's, dozens of Bryston amps
Mike Johnson 3 is offline  
post #12282 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 07:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Friendly Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by catav View Post
And I thought my 143" scope was big... you win!! Plus, our resale value just went up with the RS2000/NX7 going up to MSRP $8999 in Oct. I was afraid I bought the wrong PJ, until I demo'd the NX7. Not anymore.
Wow, I didn't know that. IMHO JVC had to get rid of the 540 to keep it from cannibalizing the NXx line. I nearly missed the boat -- when they cut the price of the 540 to $3999 I did not see the announcement that they were ending the model. I got one of the last three. And I sort of ordered it without convincing the wife that I was doing so. Ooops.
catav likes this.
Friendly Fire is offline  
post #12283 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Friendly Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
And yet every single person, that I have read about or talked to, that has compared side by side in the same room, has picked the RS2000/NX7 over the E-shift JVC's. This is not a negative of the E-shift projectors. They throw a really nice image. I still have my RS640.
I think part of it for me was that the native 4K image did not give the quantum step in PQ I was expecting. I very much wanted a native 4K projector and had waited 8 years for them to mature. It could be that I had set the bar too high and what I saw with the E-shift and the better price point biased me. But even if the price had been the same, what I saw of native 4K as disappointing. Could have been content or settings but it was what it was.

But I am certain that will not be the case in a few years.

Thanks for all of your help, Mike.
Mike Garrett likes this.
Friendly Fire is offline  
post #12284 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 493
ddigler is online now  
post #12285 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,713
Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12685 Post(s)
Liked: 10316
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Can someone confirm whether or not the RS 640 supports hybrid log gamma high dynamic range?
Yes it does.
ddigler likes this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #12286 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Can someone confirm whether or not the RS 640 supports hybrid log gamma high dynamic range?
Yes it does..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
ddigler likes this.
jorgebetancourt is offline  
post #12287 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ajamils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Katy, Tx
Posts: 1,922
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Jvc RS-540 Input Issue

I've been using this projector with my Yamaha receiver for over a year but just recently issue has started happening that whenever there is a change in resolution or HDR or SD, there is no input. This has started happening every time I launch a game on PS4.

All I get is a blue screen and the only way I have found to fix it to unplug the HDMI cable from receiver and plug it back in.

My question is that do HDMI cables go bad for no reason? Because to me it looks a HDMI cable issue or is there something more serious that I should he looking at?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ajamils; 09-28-2019 at 12:54 PM.
ajamils is offline  
post #12288 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,710
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson 3 View Post
... In other words, I either spend $5k+ on an image processor + $5k+ on a Paladin lens, only to completely lose that investment when inevitably upgrading to the NX7 or newer in the future.

So.... Over $10k to upgrade my image WITH keeping the rs540, or over $10k for the NX7 + Paladin DCR (I bought b-stock lens) and have TV level ease of use + much improved picture quality.
I hear ya... it's doesn't hurt/help to have an army of enablers helping you down the rabbit hole. Some of which have their hand firmly planted in your pocket.
Mike Johnson 3 likes this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #12289 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Greater Houston Area - Texas
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 721
I'm sure the NX series looks great, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the money to upgrade from my 540. I've heard good things about them, but when I look at the NX7 vs my 540, I see a hefty decrease in native contrast ratio: 130,000:1 vs 80,000:1. That is one thing, but the lack of support for HDR10 plus and Dolby Vision (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see them listed in their specs) makes it an easy decision for me. I will wait until the future models come out and my 540 has more hours.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Tom Riddle is offline  
post #12290 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 01:39 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I'm sure the NX series looks great, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the money to upgrade from my 540. I've heard good things about them, but when I look at the NX7 vs my 540, I see a hefty decrease in native contrast ratio: 130,000:1 vs 80,000:1. That is one thing, but the lack of support for HDR10 plus and Dolby Vision (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see them listed in their specs) makes it an easy decision for me. I will wait until the future models come out and my 540 has more hours.
Unless you're able to use -15 iris setting the difference is likely significantly less in real terms.
For what it is worth as of today neither of those techs are supported on any projector. DV seems unlikely to ever appear at present; HDR10+ might but doesn't have much traction with content makers as yet...
bobof is online now  
post #12291 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 01:48 PM
Member
 
Dandion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gronkman View Post
Yikes...30 feet? You might have to consider an active cable or even fiber optic. After multiple failures at 20ft with even HDMI certified cables, I had to switch to an active cable from Blue Jeans to eliminate dropouts.
I have the same problem that you had. I got the monoprice certifed premium 18gb but it can not pass the hdr 4.4.4. That 30 ft cable is certifed but it means nothings because it pass only 4k 4.2.0 signal.

I am going to try with blean jean actice cable.
Daniel

RX-A3050 with 5.2.4
Martin Logan motion 40, 50xt, FX
Dual ULS-15 mk2
JVC DLA X790R, 100'' Elunevision
DVP-5000St
Dandion is offline  
post #12292 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Greater Houston Area - Texas
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Unless you're able to use -15 iris setting the difference is likely significantly less in real terms.
For what it is worth as of today neither of those techs are supported on any projector. DV seems unlikely to ever appear at present; HDR10+ might but doesn't have much traction with content makers as yet...
True, but it still illustrates my point. Why upgrade now when I can wait and possibly get more features in a year or two?

If I were in need of an upgrade or was a first time buyer, I would go with the NX series for the native 4k resolution. Since I’m not, I don’t see enough features to make the case, cost wise. Plus, resolution isn’t the the most important part of a great picture. Don’t get me wrong, it’s important, but not at the top. If 1080p Blu-rays were given the benefits of higher bit rates, HDR, wide collar gamut, I’m positive that most people would have trouble discerning the difference between it and UHD (especially 1080p Upconversions).

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Tom Riddle is offline  
post #12293 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Iowa
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I'm sure the NX series looks great, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the money to upgrade from my 540. I've heard good things about them, but when I look at the NX7 vs my 540, I see a hefty decrease in native contrast ratio: 130,000:1 vs 80,000:1. That is one thing, but the lack of support for HDR10 plus and Dolby Vision (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see them listed in their specs) makes it an easy decision for me. I will wait until the future models come out and my 540 has more hours.
Contrast trumps resolution all day long in my play book. I couldn’t stop saying to myself, “Yes!, you bought the right one”, after demoing NX7 in person. I feel lucky to have my RS540, almost went with NX7, sight unseen. Others may value resolution and new HDR features more than I do.
Reddig and Tom Riddle like this.
catav is offline  
post #12294 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 06:48 PM
Senior Member
 
dengland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it's definitely impressive..! next level DTM vs the static curves & UB820

Spoiler!
That rig isn't in the same room as the screen is it?
Tom Riddle likes this.
dengland is offline  
post #12295 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,713
Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12685 Post(s)
Liked: 10316
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
I've been using this projector with my Yamaha receiver for over a year but just recently issue has started happening that whenever there is a change in resolution or HDR or SD, there is no input. This has started happening every time I launch a game on PS4.

All I get is a blue screen and the only way I have found to fix it to unplug the HDMI cable from receiver and plug it back in.

My question is that do HDMI cables go bad for no reason? Because to me it looks a HDMI cable issue or is there something more serious that I should he looking at?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Yes a cable can go bad, but it could just be a bad (corrosion) or loose connection. Turn everything off and unplug/plug the HDMI cable in the devices a half dozen times. Then make sure HDMI is fully inserted.
Reddig likes this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #12296 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbn008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by catav View Post
Contrast trumps resolution all day long in my play book. I couldn’t stop saying to myself, “Yes!, you bought the right one”, after demoing NX7 in person. I feel lucky to have my RS540, almost went with NX7, sight unseen. Others may value resolution and new HDR features more than I do.
That must have been an unflattering demo of the NX7. I have owned both (as well as several eshift JVCs), which were each professionally calibrated. As Mike said, everyone picked the NX7 as the clear winner in overall image quality.

I can't argue which is the better deal in terms of price/ performance, but I can say that they are not equal in picture quality. Of course this is my opinion, but don't let the absolute contrast number detract from the other picture attributes the new models bring.
jbn008 is offline  
post #12297 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,923
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5418 Post(s)
Liked: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
That rig isn't in the same room as the screen is it?
Hi, the PC is not in the HT room. Though the entire case does black out with a quick macro that kills all lights.

my velvet room has excellent light control, full 360 black out.
dengland and Tom Riddle like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #12298 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,056
Mentioned: 497 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6933 Post(s)
Liked: 6640
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
my velvet room has excellent light control, full 360 black out.
Still waiting on you to post a handful of images of your room design all the way around....

Care to take some?

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #12299 of 12734 Old 09-28-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ajamils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Katy, Tx
Posts: 1,922
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yes a cable can go bad, but it could just be a bad (corrosion) or loose connection. Turn everything off and unplug/plug the HDMI cable in the devices a half dozen times. Then make sure HDMI is fully inserted.
Thanks for the reply. I have power cycled everything multiple times. Will try plugging unplugging as well. It is just weird that this just started happening out of the blue.
ajamils is offline  
post #12300 of 12734 Old 09-29-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Greater Houston Area - Texas
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
That must have been an unflattering demo of the NX7. I have owned both (as well as several eshift JVCs), which were each professionally calibrated. As Mike said, everyone picked the NX7 as the clear winner in overall image quality.

I can't argue which is the better deal in terms of price/ performance, but I can say that they are not equal in picture quality. Of course this is my opinion, but don't let the absolute contrast number detract from the other picture attributes the new models bring.
The question is, how much better is the NX7's picture? If it is just marginally better, then there really isn't much of a conversation to be had. If it is leaps and bounds better, then it would be worth the upgrade. With that said, I would like to see a direct comparison - a projector shootout, if you will.

Again, I'm sure the NX7 is great, but I'm still not sold that it is just leaps and bounds better in picture quality.
Javs likes this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Tom Riddle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off